Huron County, Ohio
Henry A. Avery
One of the most prominent and influential citizens of Lake City, Colorado, and distinguished among its citizens as a pioneer, leading business man, standing high in professional circles, and having rendered the community excellent service in several official stations, Henry A. Avery is universally recognized in his county as a man of great usefulness and one whose career in this state has been of signal benefit to it and whose character and capacities are good types of those for which its people are respected. He was born near Monroeville, Huron county, Ohio, on December 8, 1847, the son of Luther and Susanna (Ford) Avery, the former a native of Connecticut and the latter of Lincolnshire, England. After settling in Ohio they remained there until death, the mother passing away in August, 1870, and the father in February, 1895. He was a prominent farmer and stock-raiser in his county, and an influential man in politics as an active working Republican. Along with his farming and stuck interests he engaged in speculation to some extent, and was successful in that as he was in everything else. Six of their children survivethem, Mrs. Mary Rushton, George L., James O., Edward W., Mrs. Addie Bemis and Henry A. The last named was educated in the public schools and at Dennison University, located at Granville in his native state. He remained at home until after the death of his mother, then, in 1871, came to Colorado and located in the vicinity of Denver, where he passed a year engaged in different pursuits. In the spring of 1872 he moved to Pueblo, and for a few months worked on ranches near that city. He was then appointed assistant postmaster at Pueblo, and this office he held until April, 1877. At that time he changed his residence to Lake City, and soon after his arrival at that point entered into a partnership with John S. Hough in merchandising, handling stationery and notions. The partnership lasted until the spring of 1886, and the business was successful. Retiring from the firm then, Mr. Avery became a merchant wholly on his own account, dealing in real estate and mining interests in connection with his other business, and serving as
clerk of the district court from 1886 to 1900. In 1896, however, be formed another partnership with Mr. Hough, which lasted until 1901, when he sold his interest in the firm to his partner. Since 1893 he has practiced law and since 1886 has been in the insurance and real-estate business, representing at times fifteen different fire insurance companies, and handling mining properties as well as ranch land and town houses and lots. During a portion of the 1ear i889 he served as county clerk. With the municipal government of Lake City he has been connected in a leading way from the time of his arrival within its limits. He served as mayor for a number of years, and has long been on the school board and connected with other branches of the local government. He has been a firm and zealous Democrat since 1892, and has always from that date taken an active part in the campaigns of his party. In a service covering several years in the Colorado National Pitkin Guards he rose from the ranks to the position of captain, making the advance on merit and well-deserved popularity. While all the time engaged in several different lines of business, he has shown the capacity to keep their interests all well in hand and prosecute them with vigor and success, and his activity has put and kept in motion many forces for the good of the town and county, and the benefit of numbers of their citizens. On April 3, 1884, he united in marriage with Miss Mary E. Watson, a native of Will county, Illinois, born in the city of Wilmington. They have had nine children. Of these three are dead and Charles L., William W., Harriett A., Charlotte A., Helen F. and Marion F. are living. Mr. Avery is of the fiber of which the best citizenship is made, filled with energy for his own pursuits, and running over and inundating others with his surplus. He is ardently devoted to the interests of his adopted state, and sees clearly and performs well his duty in leading its public opinion and its industrial, commercial, political and educational force to the finest and best results. The esteem in which he is held throughout the county is based on his real worth and manhood, and it grows steadily with the flight of time, as he rises to higher duties and more comprehensive usefulness. (Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Tracy McAllister)
Watson E. Boise
WATSON E. BOISE, one of the prominent early settlers of Steele county, is a gentleman of good business tact, and is the cashier of the Hope State Bank, organized at Hope, North Dakota, in May, 1900, and was previously bookkeeper in the Steele County Bank for nearly five years. He has been identified with the growth of the country and every enterprise to which he devoted his attention has been successful in its results, and he has gained an enviable reputation as a citizen and business man.
Our subject was born in Huron county, Ohio, September 8, 1857. The name is of French origin, and his ancestors were among the French Huguenots who left their native country for Holland. His ancestry in this country dates to the days of its early settlement, he being a direct descendant of Peregrine White, the first white child born in New England. His grandparents moved from Worcester, Massachusetts, to Ohio by ox team in 1832, and settled in Lorain county, and his grandfather was once a trustee of Oberlin College.
Mr. Boise was the oldest in a family of five children, and was a son of Spencer W. and Celestia E. (Gould) Boise, both residents of Ohio. He was raised on the home farm and remained there until seventeen years of age. He entered the preparatory department of Oberlin College in March, 1875, and graduated from that institution with the class of 1880, with the degree of A.B. Excelling in the languages, he planned a career as teacher of these branches. He came to Dakota in April, 1881, and upon his arrival entered claim to land on section 26, in Hope township, Tower City being the nearest railroad point. There were no buildings in the township until that spring, and he hauled lumber twenty-five miles from Tower City and erected a 10x12 shanty, one of the first buildings in the township. He built a frame house the following fall, and soon afterward had a farm and steadily improved the place and met with unbounded success. Sheep culture was successfully carried on during the years 1890-98. Mrs. Boise's ill health caused him to leave the farm in 1894, and he accepted his present position in 1895.
Our subject was married, in 1882, to Miss Grace S. Pomroy, a native of Bristol, New York. Mrs. Boise was a student of Oberlin College, and was by profession a teacher. Six children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Boise, as follows: David W., Charles W., Howard S., Otis P., Florence M. and Eugene B. Mr. Boise is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and Brotherhood of American Yeoman. He is president of the board of trustees of the town of Hope, and is a man of active public spirit. Politically he is a Populist, and is a man who keeps pace with the world and favors reform principles. [Source: "Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota", Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
Emily M. Coe
COE, Miss Emily M., educator, born near Norwalk, Ohio. She was graduated from Mt. Holyoke Seminary, in 1853, with the honors of her class. For a time she turned her attention to oil-painting and other art-work, for which she has a talent. She then taught with success in seminaries and colleges in New England and Pennsylvania, and afterward in the Spingler Institute, in New York City. Realizing more and more the futility of building upon the imperfect foundations of character usually laid in early childhood, she saw clearly that the hope of the world is in the right training of the little children. That led to the establishment of the American kindergarten, the first school of the kind in New York City. The American kindergarten system is the result of more than twenty years of practical work in the school-room. She erected a kindergarten building at her own expense, in the Centennial Exposition of 1876, where material, much of her own invention was exhibited and examined by educators from all parts of the world. In 1872 Miss Coe went to Europe for the purpose of studying educational methods. Her life is an exceedingly busy one. She has given courses of lectures and conducted training classes in Normal institutes in all parts of the country, besides single lectures in many places. At home she conducts the American Kindergarten and Normal Training School in New York City and East Orange, N. J. Miss Coe is editor and proprietor of the "American Kindergarten Magazine," established ten years. She is president of the American Kindergarten Society. She is a member of the Association for the Advancement of Science and a life member of the National Teachers' Association. She is a very earnest Christian.
[Source: "American Women Fifteen Hundred Biographies" Vol. 1, by Frances Elizabeth Willard & Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Publ. 1897. - MS - Sub. by FoFG]
Rev. Walter L. Huffman
REV. WALTER L. HUFFMAN, one of the pioneer ministers of the Methodist Church in Northern Indiana, was born in Tioga County, New York, on the 5th day of June 1816. When about three years of age, his parents removed to Livingston County and settled near Genessee, the same State. Here young Walter was sent to the district school in a little deserted cabin that had been vacated by some previous occupant. This primitive building was fitted up with rail seats and other furniture in keeping, and here the young student was required to study until both head and back were almost racked with pain. When he had arrived at sufficient age he worked on the farm in summer and attended school at intervals during the winter seasons. Subsequently his parents heard of the far west, which was then Ohio, and possessed of an ardent desire to move to a place where cheap lands could be obtained they sold out after the lapse of a few years, and emigrating to Northern Ohio, settled near Florence, in Huron County. Here Walter, being now a young man, took charge of his father's farm and while thus employed, snatched what time he could from his daily toil to study. By a thorough course of reading, the greater part of which was done by the flickering light of the old lard lamp stuck in the jamb of the chimney, he soon became well informed on all the current topics of the day, besides making substantial progress in history and some of the higher branches of learning. As he advanced in his studies, he sought an opportunity to recite to an instructor which was soon gratified in the person of Rev. J. F. Chaplin, a minister of much learning and piety, then stationed at Elyria, Ohio. In 1828, before leaving his native state, in a revival meeting near Brook's Grove, conducted by Rev. A. Haywood, he, with a number of others, gave his young heart to Christ and connected himself with the Methodist Episcopal church. At the same time and place he felt that he was called to the work of the ministry, to which end he directed his education and all his mental and moral nature that he might become, as he afterwards did, a successful preacher of the gospel. In the winter of 1837 he came to Indiana and settled at Crawfordsville where he was licensed to preach, and during the interim of the session of the Annual Conference in 1839, taught school in various parts of the country. He was subsequently requested by Major J. C. Elston, at the time postmaster at Crawfordsville, to take charge of the post office, which position he accepted and filled to the entire satisfaction of the people and his employer. In the fall of 1839, he was recommended as a suitable candidate to be received into traveling ministry, and at the Annual Conference held that year at Lawrenceburgh, he was duly received and sent to Covington circuit as junior preacher, the Rev. James L. Thompson being preacher in charge. In the fall of 1840 he was sent to the Rensselaer circuit and the fall of 1841 to Williamsport, where he remained for only a short time. As the preacher sent to Logansport had by reason of poor health resigned, the Presiding Elder changed him from Williamsport to Logansport to fill out the unexpired term. The following year he was sent to South Bend, from the latter place to LaPorte, thence to Crawfordsville station, and from the latter place to Centreville, in Wayne County. At the close of his second year at this station he was appointed agent for the Asbury University, now DuPauw, in which capacity he continued for a period of two years. Severing his connection with the agency, he was sent to Peru station, and during his two years' pastorate he built the Main Street Church, which still stands an eloquent monument to his untiring energy and industry. At the close of his pastoral labors in this city he was appointed Presiding Elder of the Peru District, the duties of which responsible position he discharged for two years. Near the expiration of his term in the district it was but too plainly seen by his many friends that his health was giving way, and that lighter work and less exposure to the rigor of the weather was absolutely necessary. The Bishop sent him the second time to take charge of the Logansport station. It was during his second pastorate in that city that he commenced the erection of that beautiful stone temple of worship on Broadway, one of the most commodious church edifices in Northern Indiana. He closed his labors in Logansport at the end of one year, and, although strongly solicited to return, saw fit on account of rapidly failing health to decline, and it was at his request that that year was granted by the conference a certificate of location. Since then he has been an earnest laborer in the local ranks, and, as such, has done as much work for the Master as he could possibly have done as traveling minister, having had and still has more calls to preach than he can find time to fill. His popularity as a minister is attested by the fact that the people, who have had the privilege of once hearing him, always desire to attend his meetings the second time, and scores of persons, noted for their deep piety and active Christian experience, were induced to abandon the ways of sin for the better way leading to Life and Holiness, through the effect of his eloquent and powerful appeals. As a pulpit orator he is always clear and logical in his statements, eloquent and impressive in application, and well calculated in his manner to effectually reach the hearts of the people. During the half century of his ministry he has united in marriage over eleven hundred couples, and in the dark hours of bereavement, has officiated at the funerals of more than twelve hundred persons. The companion of his youth died in 1871. The children, one son and a daughter are still living. This venerable and highly honored servant of God is now in his seventy-first year, and although the frosts and snows of many winters have been scattered upon his brow-—eloquent of the rapidly passing time—yet life's evening is full of hope and the promise of a brighter day to come. [Source: "History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present ..." By Brant & Fuller, Chicago - BZ - Sub by FoFG]
For a half century Reuben Fancher has made his home in Lake county (IN) and is now living a retired life at Crown Point. He was for many years actively identified with agricultural interests, but now is enjoying a well earned rest. His birth occurred in Huron county, Ohio, on the 28th of April, 1834, and he comes of English ancestry. His grandfather and his father both bore the name of Thaddeus Fancher, and his mother bore the maiden name of Amy Chapman. She was born in Connecticut and was a daughter of Cyrus Chapman, who was also of English lineage. To these parents were born twelve children, of whom seven are yet living.
Reuben Fancher, the eldest of the family, was reared in Huron county, Ohio, until twenty years of age, when he started out in life on his own account and, believing that he might have better business opportunities in a less thickly settled district, he went to Michigan, where he attended the public school during the winter months. March 20, 1855, he came to Crown Point, and at that time his capital consisted of only forty dollars in gold, but he possessed a resolute and determined spirit, renting a tract of land on which he began farming. He also bought stock, and when his financial re-sources had increased to a sufficient extent he purchased eighty acres of land, to which he added until his farm comprised one hundred and sixty acres. Subsequently he traded that for property in Crown Point and took up his abode in the city. For three years he served as deputy sheriff. He has, however, been largely engaged in dealing in farm machinery and live stock, but is now living a retired life, for through his perseverance and energy he accumulated a handsome competence that now supplies him with all of the necessities and many of the comforts and luxuries of life.
In August, 1857, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Fancher and Miss Mary Hawkins, who was born in New York and died in Lake county, Indiana, in 1895. They were the parents of four children, the eldest of whom died in infancy. The others are William; Mary, the wife of E. H. Crowell; and Grace, at home.
Mr. Fancher is a Republican, and cast his first presidential vote for Fremont and afterward supported Lincoln in 1860 and again in 1864. He has never wavered in his allegiance to the party, but has always voted for its presidential candidates and has put forth every effort in his power to promote its growth and secure its success. For thirty-five years he has been a member of the Masonic fraternity, and has been identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows for about the same length of time. For half a century he has lived in Lake county, spending much of the time in Crown Point, and his life record is thus closely identified with the history of this portion of the state. He has watched the development of the county as it has emerged from pioneer conditions and has advanced toward its present progress and prosperity. His mind bears the impress of the early historic annals of northwestern Indiana, and what to many others are matters of record are to him affairs of intimate knowledge if not of personal experience.
Many years ago he established the important business, with its adjuncts, of putting down wells; an occupation still carried on by his son; and although nominally retired from business life, being now seventy years of age, he may be found quite regularly in their office on Main street, looking after the interests of their business. The wells which they put down are known as tubular walls. They go down to various depths. Furnishing windmills and pumps is one of the adjuncts of this business.
Mr. Fancher is a believer in Christianity, a friend to Sunday schools and churches, and became a member of the Methodist Episcopal church many years ago.
The fuller genealogic record, which in such a work as this it is desirable to preserve, is the following:
1. Thaddeus Fancher was born in England in 1777. He was by trade a harness-maker. When a young man he came to the United States and settled in Connecticut. He there married Sally Mead, "a daughter of General Mead of Revolutionary fame." There were of this family twelve children.
2. Thaddeus S. Fancher was born in Ulster county, New York (to which state his father had removed in 1808), April 8, 1809. His father was a soldier in the American army in the war of 1812, and in 1815 visited the then new and truly wild region of Huron county, Ohio, to which state he removed with his family in November and December of 1820, when Thaddeus S. was eleven years of age. The Fancher family therefore were true pioneers of Huron county, Ohio, knowing well the experiences of a frontier life. Thaddeus S. Fancher was married to Annie M. Chapman, September 8, 1833. In 1894 they were "the oldest married couple in Huron county."
3. Reuben Fancher, the oldest of twelve children, of whom the foregoing sketch has been written, it thus appears, is a descendant of soldiers of the war of the Revolution and the war of 1812, and of resolute and successful pioneers of the state of Ohio. ["Encyclopedia of Genealogy and Biography of Lake County, Indiana from 1834-1904" - KT - sub by FoFG]
Simon Kenton, one of the famous pioneers and scouts whose names fill the pages of the early history of our country, was born in Fauquier county, Virginia, April 3, 1755. In consequence of an affray, at the age of eighteen, young Kenton went to Kentucky, then the "Dark and Bloody Ground," and became associated with Daniel Boone and other pioneers of that region.
For a short time he acted as a scout and spy for Lord Dunmore, the British governor of Virginia, but afterward taking the side of the struggling colonists, participated in the war for independence west of the Alleghanies. In 1784 he returned to Virginia, but did not remain there long, going back with his family to Kentucky. From that time until 1793 he participated in all the combats and battles of that time, and until "Mad Anthony" Wayne swept the Valley of the Ohio; and settled the supremacy of the whites in that region. Kenton laid claim to large tracts of land in the new country he had helped to open up, but through ignorance of law. and the growing value of the land, lust it all and was reduced to poverty. During the war with England in 1812-15, Kenton took part in the invasion of Canada with the Kentucky troops and participated in the battle of the Thames. He finally had land granted him by the legislature of Kentucky, and received a pension from the United States government. He died in Logan county, Ohio, April 29, 1836. [Source: "A Biographical Record of Boone County, Iowa", 1902, Page 189 - PT - Sub by FoFG]
Manning W. Manahan
Manahan, Manning Willis, M.D., one of the prominent and able representatives of the homeopathic school of medicine in the state of Georgia, controls a large and prosperous professional business in the city of Atlanta, having his offices in the Grand Opera House building. He claims the old Buckeye state as the place of his nativity, having been born in Hartland township, Huron county, Ohio, Jan. 5, 1859. He is a son of George W. and L. Sophia (Morse) Manahan, the former of whom was born in Cayuga county, N.Y., Oct. 1, 1812, and the latter in Venice, that county, March 18, 1818. The father died in East Orange, N.J., in February, 1891, and the mother died in Norwalk, Ohio, in September, 1894. The doctor’s paternal grandfather was Thomas Manahan, who was born on Long Island, N.Y., Dec. 25, 1772, and died in Hartland, Ohio, Dec. 3, 1858. He married Violetta Silcox, who was born in Flanders, N.J., Jan. 7, 1779, being a daughter of Henry and Sally Silcox, who afterwards moved to what is now Elizabeth, N.J. She died in Norwalk, Ohio, Dec. 19, 1873. Her father distinguished himself during the Revoluntary war, as a trusted follower of the great Washington. He was a lineal descendant of Captain Luce, who was born in 1680 and who was an officer in the British army in the war of 1712 between England and France. Captain Luce died in 1765. L. Sophia (Morse) Manahan was a daughter of Judge Isaac Morse, who was born in New Haven, Conn., Feb. 8, 1782, and who died at Venice, Cayuga county, N.Y., July 14, 1864. Judge Morse was descended from Rev. Jedediah Morse, a distinguished clergyman of the Congregational church and prominent as a geographer. There were three brothers in this family, Samuel F.B. Morse, the inventor of telegraphy, and Sidney Edwards Morse, a prominent American journalist, inventor and geographer. Doctor Manahan was graduated in the classical course in the high school at Norwalk, Ohio, and later took a university course. In March, 1882, he was graduated in Cleveland Homoeopathic hospital college, where he secured his degree of Doctor of Medicine, and also the first clinical prize, receiving honorable mention for a very high percentage in his class examinations. He has attained to distinction and prestige in his profession and has been engaged in the practice of the same in Atlanta since 1882. He is a member of the American institute of homoeopathy, the Southern homoeopathic medical association, and the Atlanta medical club. He is ex-president of the United States board of pension examiners at Atlanta; has been medical examiner for a number of life-insurance companies, and for a number of years has served as surgeon to the Commercial Travelers’ Mutual Accident association of America, surgeon to Iowa State Traveling Men’s association, also holding a similar position with the International Travelers association, of Dallas, Tex. He is a charter member of Gate City Lodge, No. 2, Free and Accepted Masons, of Atlanta, and was reared in the faith of the Presbyterian church, but is tolerant and liberal in his religious views. On Sept. 21, 1881, Doctor Manahan was united in marriage to Miss Jennie Estelle Walker, daughter of George R. and Lucyra (Scott) Walker, of Norwalk, Ohio, where her father is a prominent attorney at law. Dr. and Mrs. Manahan became the parents of two children, both of whom are now deceased: George Leroy was born in Norwalk, Ohio, Jan. 22, 1883, and died in Pensacola, Fla., March 3, 1886; Manning Maurice was born in Atlanta, Ga., Aug. 3, 1885, and died July 26, 1888. [Source: "Georgia Sketches of Counties, Towns, Events, Institutions, and Persons", VOL II, by Candler & Evans, Publ. 1906. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
Shere H. Manley, M.D.
SHERE H. MANLEY, M. D., came to Republic in 1898, and he is, beyond doubt, the most prominent physician in Ferry county. He was born on a farm near Norwalk, Ohio, on March 10, 1847, and is the son of John A. and Eliza (La Barre) Manley, natives of Vermont and New York respectively. The parents lived twenty-five years in Ohio and fifteen in Kent county, Michigan. In the latter place the father died in 1869. The mother is still living with her sons in Grand Forks, British Columbia. She has reached the advanced age of eighty-seven, but enjoys good health. Dr. Manley is the oldest of seven children, the others being, John, deceased; John A., formerly the promoter of the Kettle Falls railroad in Ferry county, but now residing in Chicago; J. L.; W. K. C.; Eliza A., deceased; and Lloyd A., who is a banker in Grand Forks.
Dr. Manley received a liberal English education and then in 1870 matriculated at the Keokuk Medical College in Iowa, from which he received his diploma in 1873. Since that time he has taken several post-graduate courses, one being in the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Chicago, from which institution he holds excellent diplomas dated 1893. The doctor has devoted the undivided and assiduous efforts of many years to the study and practice of his profession with the natural result that he has acquired a thorough and extensive knowledge of the science. He has not, however, allowed his devotion to his profession to cause him to neglect his duties as a citizen but has always taken an enthusiastic interest in the questions of the day. His ability as a practitioner has always been rewarded with a lucrative practice and he has left indelible proofs of his labors for good in every community where he has been. In 1875, he was chosen mayor of Fremont, Michigan, and served with acceptability to the people in that and other offices. After coming west, the doctor was soon chosen as representative from Whatcom to the legislature, the year being 1884. The next year he came east of the Cascades and located at Colville. He was received as becomes a man of ability and soon was chosen coroner of the county of Stevens. His practice grew to large proportions, and he was prominent in politics and mining circles as well. His greatest service to the state was doubtless when he labored in the state constitutional convention as a representative from Stevens and a part of Spokane counties. This convention framed the constitution for the state to come.
Since coming to Republic, he has been a leading spirit in the development and up-building of this section. He is county physician, coroner, and president of the board of health of Republic. He has been appointed local surgeon for the Great Northern, and is United States pension examiner. He has equipped the Manley hospital and has always been a firm believer in Republic and her mining industries and resources. He has large mining and other property interests and is handling the largest medical practice in the county.
In 1887, Dr. Manley married Miss Florence Gotel, the daughter of James Gotel, one of the founders of Saginaw, Michigan, and a prominent business man and social leader there. He died many years since. Mrs. Manley's mother was, before her marriage, Miss Marie Tibbitts. She is now dwelling in Colorado Springs, aged eighty-six. Mrs. Manley had two sisters, Mrs. Ida Cooper, of Colorado Springs, and Allie, deceased. To Dr. Manley and his wife eight children have been born, four of whom died in infancy. The others, three charming daughters and a bright son, are named as follows, Florence Alene, Ida Cooper, Bessie Beryl, and John Everett.
Dr. Manley is a stanch Democrat, and fraternally is affiliated with the Masons, in the Royal Arch degree, and the K. of P. He also belongs to the State Medical Society. The family attend the Episcopal church. [SOURCE: "An Illustrated History of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan, and Chelan Counties in the state of Washington"; Western Historical Publishing Company, 1904 - tr. By Sandra Stutzman]
METZGER, Joseph, manufacturer; born, Norwalk, O., (Huron Co) May 6, 1870; son of Raymond and Barbara (Sattig) Metzger; educated in public schools of Detroit; married at Detroit, 1892, Emma E. Allor. Came to Detroit with parents, 1875; in 1895, became associated with Carl E. Schmidt & Co., tanners of the Schmidt calf leathers, as superintendent and manager; was admitted as partner of the firm, 1899, and still continues. Republican. Member Harmonie Society. Clubs: Detroit Yacht, Detroit Automobile, Recreations: Automobiling and outdoor exercises. Office: 54 Macomb St. Residence: 322 Pennsylvania Av. [Source: "The Book of Detroiters". by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - CW - Sub by FoFG]
Martin L. Shanks
MARTIN L. SHANKS, M.D. The medical profession is ably represented by Dr. Shanks, of Casselton, Cass county, North Dakota. He is one of the pioneer physicians and surgeons of North Dakota and his life and labors there have been crowned with success. He is known throughout the Northwest as a skilled practitioner and one who progresses as time moves all things forward and he enjoys an ever increasing patronage and the confidence of the people among whom he labors.
Our subject was born in Port Washington, Tuscarawas county, Ohio, November 1, 1848, and was a family of eleven children, five sons and six daughters, born to David and Catherine (Barrick) Shanks, natives, respectively, of Ohio and Pennsylvania. His father was a farmer by occupation and passed his career in Ohio, most of the time in Huron county. He died in 1885 and the mother in 1888. The grandfather of our subject, James Shanks, was a native of Scotland and came to the United States about 1792, and died in Ohio. He was a tanner by trade and conducted a tannery at Mansfield, Ohio.
Our subject was reared and educated in his native state, graduating from there in 1870. He enlisted, in July, 1863, in Company M, First Ohio Heavy Artillery, and served until August 3, 1865, and participated in the following engagements: Strawberry Plains, Tennessee; raid up the Tennessee river; London, Tennessee, with Hood; and following that with Morgan cavalry near there; Salsbury, North Carolina; French Broad river, and finally at Nashville, where he was held as reserve. After his return from the war he completed his studies, and then, in 1870, began teaching school and also read medicine and clerked in a drug store at Clyde, Ohio. He attended lectures at Columbus, Ohio, Medical College, in 1875-1876 and graduated from that institution in 1882. He had practiced some since 1877 at New Castle, Pennsylvania, and in 1886 entered Rush Medical College and attended one course of lectures and in 1891 attended a course at the College of Physicians & Surgeons of New York. He made an extended tour through Europe in 1892, in the interests of his profession and visited the leading hospitals of England, Germany, France, Italy and Switzerland. He went to Yankton, North Dakota, in 1878, and after a short stay located at Casselton, in January, 1878, where he has since resided and has continued in the practice of medicine and surgery. When he located there he was the only physician between Fargo and Bismarck and he experienced many hardships during the early days of that region. He has followed the modern methods of his profession by attending lectures every two years in various parts of the country, is progressive in his work and conscientious as a practitioner. He is devoted entirely to his work and in 1899 established a hospital containing fourteen beds at Casselton. He is the owner of one of the finest business blocks in the city of Casselton and enjoys prosperity.
Our subject was married, in November, 1879, to Miss Laura A. Lean, a native of England. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Shanks, as follows: Markwell, Clytie and Vallow. Mr. Shanks is prominent in secret society circles and holds membership in the Masonic fraternity, Knights Templar and Mystic Shrine; Independent Order of Odd Fellows; Knights of Pythias; Fraternal Union and Ancient Order of Foresters. He has been county physician for the past two years for the district in which he resides and is one of the best known men of the state. He is a member of the Cass County Medical Society and the State Medical Society. Politically, he is a Republican, but does not take an active part in political affairs. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
James Q. Waggoner
James Q. Waggoner, one of the prominent and progressive farmers and stock men of the Paradox valley in Montrose county, and an important factor in the public life and system of improvements in this section, is a native of Norwalk, Ohio, where he was born on April 2, 1837, and is the son of Cyrus and Lorilla (Osier) Waggoner, who were born and reared in New York, and came to Ohio when young. When their son James was eight years old the family moved to Michigan and five years later the father was accidently killed by a horse. Mr. Waggoner then went back to Norwalk and there served a three-years apprenticeship to a wagon and carriage maker. After learning his trade he worked at it for a number of years in various places, among them Chicago, St. Louis, New Orleans and Detroit. In 1870 he settled in Kansas and located land in the Osage Nation reservation. From there he moved soon afterward to Independence, that state, and in the vicinity of that city engaged in farming and fruit growing. He came to Colorado in 1880, and took up his residence at Leadville, but moved a little later to Cebola, and from there not long afterward to where he now lives in Paradox valley, settling here in 1883. He located land here and has since bought additions to it, and at once began the stock and farming industry which he is now conducting. He served four years as mail contractor and is now water commissioner of all the water of the Dolores river and its tributaries, having been appointed to this important position by Governor Peabody in June, 1903. He has one hundred and sixty acres of the best valley land in his farm, and has it thoroughly irrigated, having procured the water and provided for the continuance of the supply by tunneling into the mountain. He runs a small herd of cattle of grade and high standard. He also has a thrifty and fruitful orchard of choice varieties of fruit on his place which yields abundantly every year and is a source of considerable profit. Mr. Waggoner has been particularly active and resourceful in procuring the advantages of thorough irrigation for this section of the county, and his efforts in this behalf have been highly appreciated, so much so in fact that in June, 1903, as has been noted, he was appointed water commissioner for a large extent of country which is watered by the Delores and its affluent, and his appointment met with general approval. He was a member of the jury before whom the famous Packer case was tried. On March 23, 1877, at Independence, Kansas, he was married to Mrs. Carrie M. Eastman, a native of Indianapolis, Indiana. They have one child, a son named Louis H. Mrs. Waggoner had a daughter by her former marriage who died a few years ago leaving two daughters, Myrtle and Fernie Good, who live with their grandmother. [Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Nancy Overlander)
Copyright © Genealogy Trails