Mrs. ROSA MILLER AVERY, reformer, born in Madison, Ohio, 21st May, 1830. Her father, Nahum Miller, was an insatiable reader of Biblical and political history and a man of broad humanitarian views. She married 1st September, 1853, Cyrus Avery, of Oberlin, Ohio. During their residence in Ashtabula, Ohio, she organized the first anti-slavery society ever known in that village, and not a clergyman in the place would give notice of its meetings so late as two years before the war; and this in the county home of Giddings and Wade. During the years of the war Mrs. Avery's pen was actively engaged in writing for various journals on the subjects of union and emancipation, under male signatures, so as to command attention. During ten years' residence in Erie, Pa., besides writing occasional articles for the newspaper world, she disseminated her views on social questions, love, matrimony and religion in romance in the "High School News," over the pen-name "Sue Smith," work which produced much and rich fruition in the years following. About that time her husband was appointed by the Young Men's Christian Association of Erie as visitor to the criminals confined in the city prison. Mrs. Avery usually assisted her husband in his work. As the result of her investigations, she has ever since maintained " there is not a criminal on this broad earth but that there lies back of him a crime greater than he represents, and for which he, we, and everyone suffers in a greater or less degree." For the last fourteen years Mr. and Mrs. Avery have resided in Chicago. Mrs. Averys special labors have been largely for social purity and equal suffrage, in which interests she has written many able articles, especially in the Inter-Ocean. (American Women, Fifteen Hundred Biographies, Vol 1, Publ. 1897 - MS - Sub by FoFG)
DANIEL R. BEARSS (deceased) was born. August 23, 1809, in Geneseo, Livingston County, New York. His parents were Truman and Sabrina (Roberts) Bearss. His grandfather was a major in the Revolutionary Army, under General Washington, and his father served in the war of 1812. About the year 1811, the family removed to Painesville, Ohio, and in 1815 to Detroit, Michigan. Mr. Bearss' boyhood was spent on a farm and his education was acquired in a log school house. In 1828 he went to Ft. Wayne where he became a clerk for W. G. and G. W. Ewing. His employers soon opened a branch store in Logansport in which Mr. Bearss was engaged until 1832. He then spent two years in mercantile business on his own account in Goshen. In August 1834 with his young wife he settled in Peru where he resided the rest of his life. During his first year's residence here he carried on a general mercantile business in partnership with his father-in-law, Judge Albert Cole, whose biography appears elsewhere. This connection being dissolved Mr. Bearss continued the business until 1844, when he formed a co-partnership with Charles Spencer under the firm name of Bearss and Spencer. Mr. Bearss being occupied with outside matters, Mr. Spencer took charge of the business. In 1849, Mr. Bearss sold his interest in the store and finally retired from mercantile life, after a prosperous business career of about twenty-one years. With perhaps one exception Mr. Bearss was the largest tax payer in Peru. He owned considerable city property among which were the Broadway Hotel and a number of business blocks. He also owned several valuable farms one of which just north of Peru he made his home. Mr. Bearss was one of the leading politicians of his county but was never known to resort to political trickery in order that his party might triumph. No one in his locality labored more earnestly for the promotion of Henry Clay to the Presidency. From the organization of the Republican party he was one of its warmest friends and through his great popularity succeeded in carrying many elections when said party was in the minority. Through his influence Hon. Schuyler Colfax was first placed before the people as a candidate for Congress. Mr. Bearss served his county in various minor public offices. He was in the state Legislature twenty years, eight years as Representative and twelve as Senator. During the memorable and exciting period of the late civil war when many legislators seemingly in sympathy with the south sought to tie the hands of Governor Morton and prevent the state from furnishing support to the Union, no member of the Senate was more faithful to his country than Mr. Bearss. His age prevented him from entering the army but he did his duty in the halls of Legislation. He took an active part in the railroad enterprises of the county and for a while served as director of the I. P. & C. and Wabash roads. With his family he attended the Congregational church and gave liberally towards its support. Mr. Bearss was a man of commanding stature and in his prime possessed great physical strength and endurance. Few men were more favorably or better known not only in the county but throughout the state. He died April 18, 1884 at Hot Springs, Arkansas, where he had gone for the benefit of his health. January 14, 1834, at Goshen, Indiana, he married Emma A. Cole, daughter of the late Judge Albert Cole. The following are the names of the children born to Mr. and Mrs. Bearss: George R., William, Albert, Oliver, Homer, Frank, Emma and Ella. ("History of Miami County, Indiana: From the Earliest Time to the Present ..." Brant & Fuller, Chicago; 1887 - BZ - Sub by FoFG)
EDWARD F. BOUSFIELD
BOUSFIELD Edward F, Minneapolis. Res 19 S 13th st, office 2600 Marshall st. Manufacturer. Born Sept 4, 1849 in Kirtland, Lake county O, son of John and Sarah (Featherstone) Bousfield. Educated in the public schools of Cleveland O and at Oberlin College O. Shipping clerk for Bousfield & Poole mnfrs woodenware, lumber, sash and doors, and matches Cleveland O 1867-72; bkpr Ohio Woodenware Co Cleveland 1872-75; member Bousfield & Co mnfrs of woodenware Bay City Mich 1875-81; incorporated 1881-82; out of business 1882-84; pres Bousfield & Co Bay City Mich 1884-87; principal owner pres and treas Bousfield Woodenware Co organized 1890: incorporated 1904. Member Minneapolis and St Anthony Commercial clubs Minneapolis. ["Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota". Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Rhonda Hill]
Mrs. EMMA V. SHERIDAN FRY, actor and playwright, born in Painesville, Ohio, 1st October, 1864. Her mother was a niece of the well-known New England clergyman, Rev. Joseph W. Parker. Her father, General George A. Sheridan, made a fine record in the Army of the Cumberland during the late Civil war, and he has since won a national reputation as an orator. Emma has always been his friend, confidant and counselor, sharing his hopes, his disappointments and the joy of his successes. She is a graduate of Mrs. Hay's preparatory academy, Boston, Mass., and of the Normal College in New York City. Choosing the stage as the field of her work, she went through a thorough course of study and training in the New York Lyceum School of Acting. She began at the bottom and in six seasons she rose to the front rank among American actors. She has filled many important roles. In 1887 she played a notable engagement with Richard Mansfield in the Lyceum Theater, London, England. Returning to America, she played a round of leading Shakespearean parts through the country with Thomas Keene. In 1889 she became leading lady in the Boston Museum. At the close of her second and most successful season there her stage career was cut short by her marriage. She became the wife of Alfred Brooks Fry, Chief Engineer of the United States Treasury service, a member of the Loyal Legion and of the Order of the Cincinnati by heredity. During her stage experience Miss Sheridan had plied a busy pen and was well known as "Polly" in the "Dramatic Mirror," and by many articles, stories and verses published in the daily press, in magazines and in dramatic papers over her signature. Since her retirement from the stage Miss Sheridan, for she retains her signature, E. V. Sheridan, is devoting all her time to her pen, and she is in this second profession rapidly repeating the progress and notable success of her stage career. Miss Sheridan is quoted in her own country as an actor and a woman widely known, whose name has never been connected with scandal or notoriety. She is a member of the New England Woman's Press Association, and is president of the Alumni Association of the Lyceum School of Acting. On 23rd February, 1892, Richard Mansfield produced at the Garden Theatre, New York, a play by Miss Sheridan entitled, "£10,000 a Year," founded on Dr. Warrens famous book of the same name, and it won a flattering success. (Source: American Women by Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Vol. 1, 1897 - MS - Sub by FoFG)
EUGENE P. GROVER, Farmer, n. w. Sec. 10; Marengo (IL) P. O.; born in Willoughby, Lake Co., Ohio, September 11, 1846; came to McHenry Co. in 1865 ; agent of Enos Grove, owner of 280 acres of land. Married Vesta Seger, in Marengo, February 12, 1868; she was born in Gaines, Orleans Co., N.Y.; has two children, one boy and one girl. [Biographical directory of the tax-payers and voters of McHenry County, IL...": C. Walker & Co.; 1877 - KT - Sub by FoFG]
DEWITT C. GROVER, Farmer, Sec. 10; Marengo (IL) P. O.; born in Willoughby, Lake Co., Ohio, April 12, 1828; came to McHenry Co. in spring of 1861; owns 220 acres of land, value $30 per acre. Married Matilda Williams, of Clarkson Co., N. Y., February 21, 1867 ; she was born October 27, 1832; had six children, five living. [Biographical directory of the tax-payers and voters of McHenry County, IL...": C. Walker & Co.; 1877 - KT - Sub by FoFG]
NATHAN CORNING KINGSBURY -- born, Mentor, O., (Lake Co) Jan. 29, 1867; son of S.B. and Huldah (Corning) Kingsbury; educated at Oberlin College and Ohio University; married at Duluth, Minn., June 6, 1893, Lillian B. Prescott. Studied law and was admitted to the bar in Ohio, 1892;was general counsel for the Jeffrey Manufacturing Co., Columbus, O., for ten years; removed to Detroit, fall of 1906, and since November of same year has been vice president of the Michigan State Telephone Co.; not now engaged in active practice of law. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Scottish Rite Mason. Clubs: Detroit, Country. Office: Mich. State Telephone Co. Residence: 409 Pasadena Apts. [The Book of Detroiters. Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - CW - transcribed by FoFG]
Dr. ASA DEARBORN LORD
There are few who have served their country in the training of its youth, more deserving of its love and gratitude than Dr. Asa D. Lord. He was born in Madrid, St. Lawrence County, New York, June I7, 1810. His early youth was passed on a farm. From his mother, who had herself been a most successful teacher, he is said to have inherited his love for study. In 1839, he accepted the position of principal of the Western Reserve Teachers' Seminary, at Kirkland, Ohio, which he held for eight years. Here his zeal, his energy, his professional enthusiasm, his interest in all who strove for something better than they had yet known, were signally displayed. He made the seminary a center to which the youth of both sexes crowded from the adjoining counties. Many of these have since occupied useful and honorable positions as teachers, cherishing with the warmest gratitude the memory of him who first kindled in their young hearts a love for the teacher's calling. Here, in 1843, was held what was in substance the first Teachers' Institute in the State.
From Kirtland, Dr. Lord removed to Columbus. Here he inaugurated the first graded school in the State. He had bad the system under consideration for some time, and had become satisfied that it offered the best advantages to the children of towns and villages. For his service as superintendent and as principal of the high school, he received the first year a salary of $600, of which $100 was contributed by a public spirited citizen.
Dr. Lord's services as editor of the "School Friend," the "Ohio School Journal," the "Public School Advocate," and "Ohio Journal of Education" are referred to in the next chapter.
For one year, his connection with the schools of Columbus was suspended, while he acted as agent of the State Teachers' Association, which he had been active in establishing.
He had, while at Kirkland, taken his degree in medicine. He now added to his other labors a course of systematic theology, and, in 1863, was licensed to preach by the Presbytery of Franklin. Those who knew him well assert that he never intended to practice either calling exclusively. He strove to make himself thoroughly acquainted with the wants of both soul and body, that he might the better administer to those committed to his care. He made the Institution for the Blind, at Columbus, to which he was appointed in 1856, an honor and a blessing to the State. He taught its pupils valuable lessons in workshop and school-room, and thus won to his views legislators of widely different politics, who voted liberally for the erection of a building in which his plans could be successfully carried out.
After over twelve years' experience as an instructor of the blind in Ohio, Dr. Lord was given charge of the new State Institution for the Blind at Batavia, N. J., where he remained its zealous, kind-hearted, philanthropic superintendent and instructor up to the time of his death, which occurred March 7, 1875. He died beloved and esteemed by all, and the world will truly he better because it has once felt the inspiration of his life and presence.
[Source: "Educational History of Ohio" by James J. Burns. Published 1905 - LR - Sub by FoFG]
Mrs. Elizabeth W. Russell LORD
Of the many educators who have attained distinction in Ohio, and at the same time acquired a lasting reputation in the educational world, probably few are better known or held in more affectionate remembrance than Mrs. Elizabeth W. Russell Lord, whose life energies were consecrated to the public service and the uplift of humanity. Her labors as a teacher and humanitarian extended over a period of sixty-five years, a greater part of the time in co-operation with her noble husband. Asa D. Lord. M. D. (deceased, 1875), one of the nation's greatest public educators, and to them, unitedly, much of the present excellence and efficiency of the public schools is due.
(For some of the facts that follow we are indebted to a sketch written by Mrs. Sarah Cowles Little, graduate of Oberlin College. 1859, and a life-long friend of Mrs. Lord.)
Elizabeth W. Russell was born in Kirtland, Ohio, April 28, 1819, her parents, who came from New England, being among the early settlers of the Western Reserve, and she shared all the experiences and hardships of their pioneer home. When nine years old she performed a daily task on the spinning wheel, and at an age when girls of to-day are "playing mother" with dolls, she was bearing her full share of the household duties, beside being her father's companion and helper.
Her occupations gave her habits of industry and thrift, and that fidelity to duty which has been her marked characteristic through life. In March, 1838. Miss Russell went to Oberlin College, Oberlin, Ohio, as a student, traveling by stage coach, and having to walk the last eight miles to reach her destination, as the coach could not proceed farther because of the mud. At Oberlin she was untiring in her studies, and in 1840 was referred to as "the indefatigable Miss Russell." About that time the Western Reserve Teachers' Seminary was established at Kirtland, and for some years Miss Russell divided her time between that institution and Oberlin. She did not fully complete the College Course at Oberlin. but in 1901 was given the honorary degree of Master of Arts in recognition of her services as an educator. In 1842 Miss Russell was married at Oberlin to Asa D. Lord, M. D., and returned to Kirtland to share his work as a teacher in the Seminary, of which he was the principal, and which was a co-educational school.
Five years later Dr. Lord went to Columbus, Ohio, to establish a system of graded schools, the first in the State, and when the High School was opened, Mrs. Lord was appointed its first lady principal.
In 1850 Dr. Lord became superintendent of the Ohio Institution for the Blind, at Columbus, and his wife a teacher. Then followed nearly thirty years of unselfish, skillful educational work for the blind, first in Ohio and later in New York. Mrs. Lord's individual work was largely in the schoolroom, but for more than two years subsequent to Dr. Lord's demise in 1875, she served most ably as superintendent of the New York Institution for the Blind, at Batavia. Without doubt she has instructed more blind persons to read than any other in the world, and these blind pupils remember her motherly sympathy with the deepest affection.
In 1884 Mrs. Lord responded to a call from Oberlin College to serve as Assistant Principal of the Woman's Department. From 18D4 to 1900, when she resigned, she was known as Assistant Dean. During these sixteen years she did not once miss attendance upon the weekly meetings of the Young Women, called "general exercises." and her record of attendance upon daily chapel prayers was almost as perfect. Among other things in her resignation, which the trustees were regretfully forced to accept, Mrs. Lord said: "My work has been a continual pleasure and delight. * * * In all my relations with our young people it has been my aim to do for them whatever intelligent and judicious parents would wish to have done for their sons and daughters while absent from their own care."
Mrs. Lord's interest in Oberlin has had material expression in various substantial gifts, notably scholarships, and a large share in the cottage which bears her name. But her best gift to Oberlin is her own life, given without stint, with utmost faithfulness, so many years. The hundreds, yes, the thousands of young people who have felt the touch of that life, have had an example, seldom equalled, of kindness and courtesy, of modesty and loyalty, of promptness and fidelity to duty whatever cost to herself. Her gracious presence was a benediction, her daily life an inspiration.
Advancing years have called Mrs. Lord to lay down the more active duties of a long life, but age has not touched the heart that beats a warm response to every human interest. She is now enjoying a well-earned retirement in the pleasant home of her daughter. Mrs. Henry F. Tarbox, of Batavia. N. Y. [Source: Educational History of Ohio by James J. Burns. Published 1905 - LR - Sub by FoFG]
Alanson Loveland, a prominent and wealthy farmer of Madison township, Lake county, Ohio, has been an industrious man all his life, and to his honest industry he attributes the success he has attained. As one of the representative men of the county, we present a sketch of his life in this work.
Alanson Loveland was born in Rutland county, Vermont, Mar. 2, 1823, son of Alanson Loveland, the grandson of Treat Loveland, both natives of Vermont, the family being of English descent. Grandfather Loveland was a farmer all his life. He came to Ohio about 1826, and died here at the age of eighty years.
The father of our subject, Alanson Loveland, Sr., was a cloth dresser by trade. Moving to Ohio in 1826, he located in Thompson, Geauga county, everything being in its wild state here then. For some time he lived in a log house without doors and windows, the openings being screened by blankets. Subsequently he removed to Licking county, Ohio, and a short time later to Painesville, this county. At the latter place he worked at his trade for awhile. His last move was to Madison township, where he died at the age of fifty-eight years. His wife, Sophia, was a daughter of General Orms, who served in the war of 1812. Mr. and Mrs. Loveland reared two children, Cornelia and Alanson. The mother died at the age of fifty-eight years.
Alonson Loveland was three years old at the time his father emigrated to Ohio, and in the primitive log schoolhouses of this State he received his education. With the exception of eight months spent in work at his father's trade, his life has been devoted to agricultural pursuits. After his marriage, which occurred in 1843, Mr. Loveland settled on a tract of timber land in Madison township, and after clearing and developing 100 acres sold it. He then located on his present farm, 107 acres, nearly all of which is devoted to general farming and stock-raising.
Mrs. Loveland's maiden name was Laura Long. She was born in New Hampshire and has been a resident of Ohio since her girlhood. Their three children are: Henry, Lamar and Ella.
In his political views, Mr. Loveland is in harmony with the principles advocated by the Republican Party. ["Commemorative Biographical Records of Northwestern Ohio including the counties of Defiance, Henry, Williams & Fulton"; Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1899 - Sub by FoFG]
EDWARD WILCOX MORLEY
The last of the illustrious brothers, so long identified with the commercial interests of Saginaw, was Edward W. Morley whose residence here covered a period of fifty-five years. He was born at Painesville, Lake County, Ohio, on February 9, 1839, the youngest of a family of ten children. The Morley family of old English stock was a prominent one in Northeastern Ohio, as the older generation settled there in the early days of its history.
The father, Albert Morley, a leading merchant of Painesville, was born at Sennat, Cayugo County, New York, October 21, 1791, while the mother, Esther Healey Morley, was born at Charleston, New Hampshire, February 14, 1798. They were married on January 29. 1818, and shortly after removed to the primitive settlement in Ohio, which was to be their home for the remainder of their lives. Albert Morley died July 12, 1883, in his eighty-sixth year; and Mrs. Morley died April 22, 1889, at the advanced age of ninety-one years.
Edward W. Morley received his education in the schools of his native town, and at the age of eighteen years went to Western Reserve College, then situated at Hudson, Ohio. In 1857 he went to Davenport, Iowa, where he worked for four years in a store; and in 1860 cast his first vote - for Abraham Lincoln. He was next employed in the general store of his brother, John R. Morley, at Fort Scott, Kansas, in which he gained the experience and knowledge that afterward proved of value in his own business.
In June, 1863, Edward W. Morley came to East Saginaw, and with his brother, George W., bought at interest in the hardware business of Anton Schmitz, located at Genesee and Baum Streets. This was one of the early hardware shops opened in East Saginaw, and with the accession of the Morleys was known as Schmitz & Morley. The business was successful and two years later the brothers bought out Schmitz. The firm of Morley Brothers was formed in 1865 to continue the business, which in later years became well known in Michigan and throughout the Northwest.
At that time there was not a single bridge across the river, and the usual way of getting over was by boats, or by a very crude but popular rope ferry. The river was often full of pine logs so that sure-footed loggers could cross without getting wet; and they frequently polled across on single logs. Most of the business was done on Water Street, and where the old Morley store stood some loggers caught a young bear, put a rope around his neck, landed him on the dock and took him through the store to the street. From the back of the store there was a good duck shooting, and good fishing off the dock.
There was yet no railroad communication through to the eastern settlements, and to get goods here, other than by small sailing vessels, it was necessary to haul the boxes and barrels fifteen miles from Fenton, a village on the line of the Detroit & Milwaukee Railroad, to Flint and thence by the old Flint & Pere Marquette. The only street car service was by less than two miles of frail track with strap rail and doubtful roadbed, over which one small car, operated by mule power, made its way slowly up and down Washington Street between the depot on Potter Street and Bristol Street. A large part of the trading was done at night, after the mills and camps were shut down, and the streets and stores were crowded with merchants, mill bosses and loggers, transacting their business, and sharing the latest bits of news that had drifted into town during the day. The housewives usually found their time well occupied with household duties, as servants and modern inventions had not yet shifted a good part of the burden from their shoulders. The social life during those early days of Saginaw, as in all pioneer towns, was very limited. The dances given each week at the Bancroft House were the most enlivening events and were very popular. The hotel was commodious, well managed, and thoroughly modern, and probably helped the early development of the lumbering town as much as any other of its institutions. During the first years of his residence here Mr. Morley lived at the Bancroft House, and preserved as interesting old relics some of the expense bills rendered by the landlord. East Saginaw in 1865 was a small town set in the very heart of the best of Michigan's virgin pine. Its people were of all kinds and creeds. Many had been drawn here by the seemingly inexhaustible supply of timber that hemmed the town in on all sides, and many more came in when the news of the discovery of salt, spreading like wild fire to the surrounding States, had filled their heads with dreams of sudden wealth. Nearly all of its present site was in those days covered with virgin forest. A bayou, teeming with weeds, frogs and malaria, stretched across the town; and from this swamp the reclaiming of streets and town lots by the application of much labor and sawdust was a slow and difficult process.
It was to such surrounding and conditions of life that Mr. Morley brought his young bride, Miss Helen Frances Kelley, whom he had married at Chicago, October 9, 1871. They settled themselves very comfortably in a house at 1330 South Jefferson Avenue, for the making of a happy home and where they reared a family of five children. These are Albert J. Morley, now a resident of Aberdeen, Washington; Walter K. Morley, of Oconomowoc, Wisconsin; Ralph C. Morley, Saginaw; Abigail, now Mrs. C.H. Glaize, of this city, and Paul Frye Healey Morley. The sons and daughter have happily married and been blessed with children, so that the subject of this biography was the proud possessor of nineteen grandchildren.
At the time of his death, which occurred May 17, 1918, Mr. Morley was president of Morley Brothers corporation, of E.W. Morley & Sons, and of the Saginaw Timber Company.
Edward W. Morley was of that type of honorable manhood, all too rare in these times, which is fittingly described as a "gentleman of the old school." Kind, charitable, liberal, broad in mental process and action, beloved by his intimate friends, he occupied an enviable position in the esteem of the community. Of a quiet and affectionate disposition he preferred the seclusion of home and the enjoyment of grandchildren to the social amenities of the club or fraternal associations, yet was never wanting in those qualities which make for good companionship. [Source: History of Saginaw County Michigan, Vol 2, Publ. 1918. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
JOHN A. NORRIS
John A. Norris was born near Painesville, Ohio, August 10, 1835 and died January 19, 1877, after a severe illness of nine weeks. Mr. Joseph Norris, the father of the subject of this sketch, was by occupation a farmer, and came to Ohio from New Hampshire, and settled near Painesville in the year 1830. In 1837 he purchased a farm in Guernsey county, Ohio, upon which he remained about twenty-three years. Here his six sons were reared. Farming in those early days, before the invention of reapers, mowers, and planters, and when the country was new, required an amount of labor to raise and gather a crop, of which modern farmers have no conception. Farmers who were so fortunate as to have several boys found it often necessary to put them to work as soon as they were able to handle a hoe or an axe; and only when the weather was too inclement for out-door work on the farm, were the boys allowed to attend school. And the farmers of those days whose whole life was one of hard daily toil, seldom dreamed of any other way of earning a living than by tilling the soil..Mr. Joseph Norris was a plain, industrious, well-to-do farmer, having had few advantages of education, and seeking few for his growing family. He honestly believed that education was of little value to men in his occupation, and hence he had no disposition to encourage his sons to endeavor to gain an education beyond what could be acquired in such schools as the rural districts could afford.
John, the fifth son, early manifested a love for books and study, and soon acquired all the knowledge he could obtain from the teachers of his district school. The nearest school of a higher grade than the one in his immediate neighborhood was at the village of Newcomerstown. Here he was supported by his father for a term during the winter of 1852-1853. He continued a second term, paying for his board by working, mornings and evenings. During the fall of 1853 he attended a school at Mariboro, taught by Mr. Holbrook, later of Lebanon Normal School, cured his first certificate to teach Stark county. Young Norris reached a point in his education could turn to some service in the further knowledge. He felt for the first time that he was independent. He taught successfully his first school and like many other, no doubt, learned much to his advantage. He entered Madison College, Antrim. Ohio, the spring of 1855. and was in attendance about one year. He was compelled by the want of means to return to teaching. While teaching he continued his studies, until in 1857. he entered the Sophomore class of Kenyon College. He graduated in 1860. During the three years that were necessary to complete his course, he was absent one year, being compelled to teach to obtain money to defray his expenses. By close application and indefatigable effort the two years he was in actual attendance in college and the year he was teaching, he succeeded in securing the honors of graduation with his class. During his college life he made few intimate friends. This was not because he was not naturally social, but because his time was too valuable.
An intimate friend and college mate wrote of Mr. Norris: "His scholarship was high but lacked that finish in details which wins class honors. This was due to his having entered the sophomore year without having followed the exact freshman course. He was capable of success in any direction whither his ambition pointed. I think the nature of his mind, as well as the necessities of his life and his struggle for self-elevation, made Norris underrate, at least in those early days, what we call culture in the sense of classical polish and refinement of expression. He rather regretted having devoted time to the classics and did not read his Homer and Virgil con amore."
As a true friend and true man, Norris should be rated more highly than any one in my college experience. He was absolutely true, loyal, generous, manly, actively sympathetic and helpful. He would go through fire and water to serve a friend, was enthusiastic, undaunted, discouraged by no obstacles, and regardless of public opinion in supporting what he deemed right. This belief in him was general among all who knew him well.
After graduation in 1860, he secured the position as tutor in a family in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. The war soon breaking out he returned to Ohio, and making his home in the town of Cadiz, was made principal of the high school, and shortly afterwards superintendent. When the call rang out for three hundred thousand men he enlisted and organized a company of infantry. In the battle of Peachtree Creek he was so severely wounded in the leg that amputation was thought necessary. After his discharge from the army Col. Norris was made Provost Marshal of the Sixteenth District.
In the summer of 1865, he received the nomination by the Republican party for the office of State School Commissioner, and was duly elected. Hon. E. E. White, who was then acting as State School Commissioner, under appointment of Governor Tod, was also a candidate before the same Convention for the nomination. Mr. White was well known to the teachers of the State, and Colonel Norris was not widely known. Mr. White had carried through the General Assembly several important school measures, had shown himself to be a wise and capable officer, and worthy of the confidence and support of the friends of education. They believed the nomination to be due to Mr. White. Colonel Norris not being known by the school men generally, his nomination and election was regarded as disastrous to the interests of popular education. He entered upon the duties of the office in February, 1800 with no assurances of co-operation and aid from the leading educational men of the State. But began his work with so much intelligence, with the exercise of so much good common sense, and with so much modesty, energy, and earnestness, as at once to win the confidence and respect of the prominent schoolmasters of the State.
Before the issue of his first report Mr. Norris had quelled almost all opposition, and had secured the co-operation of the prominent school men.
In those passionate years immediately after the war. this brave soldier who had shed his blood and risked his life for his country held his prejudices with a tighter rein than many men who had never been in danger.
He filled the position of State School Commissioner with dignity and honor to the State, harmonized and gave direction to the educational forces, infused a spirit of progress, and left us in his reports educational documents of rare excellence and value. Col. Norris was re-elected in 1808, but to the great regret of the friends of education, he resigned in May, 18ti9, to accept the position of Pension Agent at Columbus.
He took this step solely from the pressure of necessity, driven to it by the parsimony of the State which pays its highest executive officer in the educational field a wholly inadequate salary.
Col. Norris's career in the Pension Office crowded with perplexities for which his former experience had given him no preparation was eminently successful.R. W. Stevenson. [Source: "Educational History of Ohio" by James J. Burns. Published 1905 - LR - Sub by FOFG]
JOSEPH ST. JOHN, Farmer, Sec. 14; Marengo (IL) P. O.; born in St. Thomas, Canada; came here in 1850; owns 120 acres of land, valued at $50 per acre. Married Adelia Searl, of Lake Co., Ohio, in 1857 ; has two children. [Biographical directory of the tax-payers and voters of McHenry County, IL...": C. Walker & Co.; 1877 - KT - Sub by FoFG]
WILLARD P. TISDEL.
Willard P. Tisdel was born in Lake County, Ohio, July 27, 1844, and was educated in the common schools of that county, with a slight "finishing" at Poughkeepsie College, through a commercial course.
He entered the military service at Painesville, Lake County, Ohio, on April 20, 1861. He served in Company D. Seventh Ohio Infantry, as a private, corporal, sergeant, first sergeant, and as sergeant-major of the regiment, and participated in the battles of Cedar Mountain. Virginia;
Antietam, Maryland; Dumfries, Virginia; Chancellorsville, Virginia; Gettysburg, Pennsylvania; Lookout Mountain and Missionary Ridge, Tennessee, and Ringgold. Georgia. Was wounded in the head at Gettysburg. He was discharged at Columbus, Ohio, on April 27, 1864, on expiration of his term of enlistment. He also served one year in the U. S. Reserve (Hancock's) Corpson detail in the War Department entire time.
He was married in Washington, D. C, to Miss Sarah Fenton Stone, and has three daughters. His eldest daughter, Helen, is the wife of a Russian diplomat. Count Gregoire Alexandrovich De Wollant, now Minister to Mexico.
Since he left the Army Colonel Tisdel (as he is now best known among his friends) has been principally engaged as follows: he served in the U. S. Treasury Department from 1868 to 1870; as Assistant Marshal U. S. Supreme Court, 1871 to 1872; agent Pacific Mail Steamship Company and Panama R. R. Company at New York, 1873 to 1874; agent Pacific Mail Steamship Co. and Panama R. R. Co., 1874, 75, 76; superintendent U. S. and Brazil Mail S. S. Co. at Rio de Janeiro, 1877 to 1884; U. S. Commercial Expert, and U. S. Commissioner to the Berlin-Congo Conference, 1884, 85; superintendent Pacific Mail Steamship Co., west
coast of Mexico, Central and South America, 1885 to 1805; assistant general manager Guatemala Central Railroad, at Guatemala, 1886 to 1895; acting general manager and general manager, Guatemala Central Railroad, 1896 to 1906. Colonel Tisdel is also largely interested in the production of coffee, cocoa and rubber, and all in all has a promising outlook. He resides now in Guatemala City, Central America. [Source: Itinerary of the Seventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry, 1861-1864: With Roster, Portraits and Biographies 1907]
Rev. Austin Wilson, is a Pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Orwell, Lake county, Ohio. He comes of a family noted for their natural literary attainments, several having been brilliant orators of fine address and not the lest among them stands the gentleman of whom we write. He was born on a farm near Warren, Ohio, June 6, 1849; his paternal grandfather was a Scotch-Irish descent. His father, Mr. Wilson, was a pious and God fearing man. He was the first white child born in Youngstown, Ohio, the date of the event being November, 1811. His wife, who was in her girlhood Miss Nancy Welty, was born March 11, 1811, in Maryland. Her father was also a native of Maryland, while her grandfather, who was a minister, was born in Holland. On her mother's side the lineage goes back for generations to the founders of the family of America who located in Maryland.
The subject of this brief notice is one of fourteen children, three of whom died in infancy: Elizabeth, deceased, was the wife of Mr. Loomis; Catherine is now Mrs. Beach; Harriet became the wife of Mr. Loomis; William H., who was a minister for thirty years, died while a Presiding Elder of the Canton (Ohio) district; Julia L., deceased, was the wife of Mr. Grant; W. J. is Pastor of a church in Canton, Ohio: C. V. is in charge of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Olean, New York; J. F. is one of the leading lawyers of Warren, Ohio; next in order of birth is our subject; while the youngest brother, E. B., is a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Welshfield, Ohio. This family is truly worthy of note, as five of the six sons have chosen to renounce worldly affairs and are devoted workers in the cause of Christ. J. F. is a brilliant lawyer and has made his mark at the bar. The sisters as well have the family trait of eloquence and superior intellect, and like their brothers are possessors of five conversational powers and social attainments.
The education of Mr. Wilson was acquired at Warren, Ohio, and in Alleghany College, of Meadville, Pennsylvania. He began the study of law with Messrs. Hutchins, Tuttle & Steele, of Warren, and was admitted to the bar. After practicing for six years he decided to devote himself more entirely to his Master's work and commenced his ministry at Imlay City, Michigan, where in course of time a fine church edifice and parsonage were erected by the congregation who flourished under his guidance. A small church was also built in the county, and there he preached occasionally. The next pastoral work of Mr. Wilson was at Lexington, Michigan, where he labored for two years and was active in the erection of a house of worship there. For the next four years he was located at Thompson, Geauga county, Ohio, and while he was there the congregation put up a pleasant parsonage. For two years in Chagrin Falls, Ohio, and after closing his labors there, he came to dwell and work with the good people of Orwell, settling here in the fall of 1892.
On the 20th day of September, 1877, Mr. Wilson and Miss Jennie E. Johnson were united in marriage. She is the daughter of Edward M. and Mary C. Johnson, of Leavittsburg, Ohio, and is one of four children. Ida became the wife of Reed Stowe and was called from this life in 1875. Dora E. wedded Charles Reedes, and Mary is living with her parents. Mrs. Wilson is an educated lady of quiet and sociable disposition and has that rare personality which attracts and makes people become her friends. She is well adapted to fill the sometimes trying position of a minister's wife, and with her kindly counsel and motherly way assists her husband to a great extent of his work. She is the mother of four children: Nansie, born July 24, 1878; Ben J., August 15, 1880; Harry J., August, 1884; and Ruth B., March 8, 1891. The two older children manifest a decided talent for music, while Benjamin, for a boy of his years, has a wonderful memory and is local authority on all historical topics of national and general importance. He is a great book-worm and takes great delight in his fathers' large and well assorted library.
In politics, Mr. Wilson is a Republican of the conservative order, and fraternally is a member of the Masonic order. He belongs to the Royal Arcanum, to the Knights of Pythias, and is a member of the "Junior Order of United American Mechanics." ["Commemorative Biographical Records of Northwestern Ohio including the counties of Defiance, Henry, Williams & Fulton"; Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1899 - Sub by FoFG]
WILLIAM W. WEST was born at Winsted, Litchfield county, Connecticut, February 27, 1820, a son of Edgar West, also a native of Connecticut. The father removed to Ohio in 1829, and first settled in Concord township, Lake county, remaining there one year. At the end of twelve months he came to Geauga county, and there passed the balance of his days, departing this life in 1887, at the age of eighty-three years, honored and respected by all who knew him. He married Margaret Wilson, a daughter of Captain Wilson, of Connecticut, an old Revolutionary soldier. They reared a family of nine children, seven of whom are living.
William W. was a lad of nine years when the family pushed their way to the very border of the frontier, seeking a home. He attended the school taught in the primitive log house, but the labor of clearing a farm in the heart of the forest was heavy and required the assistance of small hands as soon as they could be of use; so the children could not be permitted many school days.
Mr. West remained under the parental roof until a man of twenty-two years, when he engaged in farming in Chardon township, on his own account. He devoted himself to agriculture for a year, and then turned his attention to buying and selling cattle, gathering herds from Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri and Wisconsin, fattening them in the West, and then shipping to Eastern markets. He carried on this industry for twenty-five years, with marked success. In 1866 he located on his present farm in Chardon township, and has given his attention to agriculture. He is an excellent judge of cattle, and became so expert in guessing weights that it was said he carried a pair of scales in his head. He now has 200 acres well improved, with good, substantial farm buildings, his residence being a home of comfort and elegance. He is numbered one of the most progressive farmers in the community. He takes quite an interest in breeding poultry, and has a novel method of transferring the spurs from the legs of young roosters to the tops of their heads, grafting them so well that they grow there; he has several queer specimens of the horned fowls, and at one time sold a fine specimen to the late P. T. Barnum for $50, as a natural curiosity.
Mr. West was united in marriage, February 2, 1864, to Mary A., the accomplished daughter of Charles and Mary (Gooding) Smith, and a native of Cortland county, New York. She is a lady of culture, and before her marriage taught in some of the best schools of Wisconsin, and Ohio. They have no children.
Mr. West is a member of the Masonic Order. In politics he is a Democrat, He is a man of generous nature, benevolent and charitable, and holds the esteem and confidence of those who know him. [Source: "Biographical history of northeastern Ohio", Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1893 - Re-sub. by FoFG]
SEYMOUR B. YOUNG, M. D.
The life span of Dr. Seymour B. Young has already covered eighty-two years and his record is one of intense activity and usefulness not only in the practice of medicine hut as a most earnest and untiring worker in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The family name is inseparably interwoven with the history of Utah and with the high moral purposes of the early pioneer settlers, for he is a nephew of Brigham Young, former head of the church and the leader of the Saints who made the long pilgrimage across the plains to the new Zion.
Dr. Young was born in Kirtland, Lake county, Ohio, October 3, 1837, a son of Joseph and Jane A. (Bicknell) Young, the former a native of Hopkinton, Massachusetts, while the latter was born in Geneseo, New York. It was in the year 1832 that the parents removed to Ohio, where they became members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints. Subsequently they became residents of Nauvoo, Illinois, and thence moved to Winter quarters, now Florence, Nebraska, where the pioneers to Utah outfitted for their long journey across the plains. The parents of Dr. Young remained at Florence for three years and then followed the pioneers to the new Zion, reaching Salt Lake City in 1850. The father became a most prominent and earnest worker of the church in the new capital city and continued very active in church work to the time of his death, which occurred in 1881, when he had reached the age of over eighty-four years. He was senior president of all quorums of seventies of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and in 1844 was a missionary to the eastern states and in 1870 filled a mission to Great Britain. The mother, Jane Adeline Bicknell, who became the wife of Joseph Young in 1834 at Kirtland, Ohio, was a daughter of Calvin and Chloe (Seymour) Bicknell, who were residents of Geneseo, New York, where they passed away. Mrs. Young was born August 14, 1814, and by her marriage became the mother of twelve children, eight of whom are still living. The record is as follows: Jane Adeline, the deceased wife of Charles B. Robins; Joseph, who died in 1858; Dr. Seymour B., of this review; Judge Le Grand Young, a sketch of whom appears on another page of this work and who married Grace Hardie, a pioneer handcart girl of 1856, coming with the first company; John Calvin and Mary Lucretia, both deceased; Vilate; J. A.; Chloe, the widow of Dr. Francis Denton Benedict; Rhoda, the widow of Thomas J. McIntosh; Henrietta, residing in Seattle, Washington; and Brigham B., who married Alisa Muzzacatta. The mother of the above named children passed away in Tacoma, Washington, in 1913, at the notable old age of ninety-eight years and six months.
Dr. Young is the eldest of the surviving sons of the family. He attended the church schools and the Deseret University soon after the organization of that institution. Determining upon the practice of medicine as a life work, he entered the University of New York and was there graduated with the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1874. He located for practice in Salt Lake and is today the oldest practicing physician and surgeon of the city. He still remains active in his chosen calling, coming to an honored old age by reason of a life that has been of great benefit to his fellowmen. He started in his profession with such well known colleagues and contemporaries as Dr. W. F. Anderson, Dr. Hamilton, Dr. Williamson, Dr. Heber John Richards, Drs. J. M. and Denton Benedict and others who have all passed to the great beyond. Dr. Young has at various times taken post-graduate work, continuing his studies to within the last decade, and thus has at all times kept in close touch with the trend of modern professional thought and practice. He long ago held membership with the Salt Lake City and County Medical Societies, with the Utah State Medical Society and still holds membership with the American Medical Association. He was one of the founders and organizers of the State Medical Society of Utah and had the honor of serving as president. He was also. city physician of Salt Lake from 1875 until 1886 and did splendid work in that connection.
On the 14th of April, 1867, Dr. Young was married to Miss Elizabeth Ann Riter, a sister of W. W. Riter, of the well known pioneer family of that name that was established in Salt Lake in 1847. Dr. Young is the father of eleven living children. Seymour B., Jr., born in Salt Lake City in January, 1870, is married, has five children and makes his home in this city. He is known in business circles as a member of the firm of Muir & Young, real estate dealers. Elizabeth, born in Salt Lake City, has become the mother of eleven children as the wife of Melvin D. Wells, the youngest son of General Daniel H. Wells. Florence Pearl was born in Salt Lake City, where she still makes her home with her parents. Ada Lucille is the wife of Willard Arnold, of Salt Lake City, and they have six children. Elma was born and reared in Salt Lake City, where she still makes her home. Professor Levi Edgar Young, born in Salt Lake City, was educated in the University of Utah and in Harvard University and is now professor of history in the former institution. He married Miss Valeria Brinton, a graduate of the University of Utah, and they reside in Salt Lake City and are the parents of three children. Bernice is the wife of Orson F. Rogers, is living in Salt Lake City and has three children. Josephine Irene is also a resident of the capital city. Clifford Earl, born in Salt Lake City, is cashier of the People's State Bank at American Fork. He married Miss Edith Grant and they have three children. Hortense Clair, also born in Salt Lake City, was educated in the high schools and normal school, graduated from the University of Utah and is now teacher of French and English in the Latter-day Saints University of Salt Lake City. In April, 1884, Dr. Young wedded Abbie C. Wells and their surviving daughter is Mrs. Nana Wells Clark, who was born in Liverpool, England, was graduated from the Salt Lake City high school and the Economic high school of Washington, D. C, and now resides with her mother in Salt Lake City, giving her attention to the teaching of economics in the public schools.
Dr. Young has always been active in the work of the church and is senior president of the first council of seventies and is the president of all the seventies of the church. In 1857 he went as a missionary to Great Britain and again in 1870. He has been called upon for public service in other connections outside the church, being city health officer for a number of years, while in 1862, when President Lincoln telegraphed to President Young to furnish a battalion of men to enlist for service in the federal army to protect the mail and telegraph lines west of the Missouri river. Dr. Young answered his country's call, became a corporal in the Lot Smith company and remained in service until March, 1863, when he was honorably discharged.
In the winter of 1863-1864 he saw service against the Digger Uses in Tooele county and Cedar Mountains and in 1866 was in the expedition to Sanpete and Sevier counties in the Black Hawk war of Utah. He is a member of John Quincy Knowlton Post, G. A. R., and is junior vice commander of the Department of Utah. His activities have ever been of a character that have contributed to public progress and improvement, that have upheld high ideals of citizenship and have promoted the legal and moral status of the community in which he lives. He is a representative of one of the oldest and most honored pioneer families of the state and his record reflects credit and honor upon an untarnished family name. He has now traveled life's journey for eighty-two yearsyears rich in good deeds and fraught with high purposes. To him have come the blest accompaniments of age-honor, a numerous family and troops of friends.
[Source: "Utah since Statehood: Historical and Biographical" Volume 2; By Noble Warrum; Publ. 1919; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack.]