Licking County, Ohio
-- Biographies --
IRA PACKARD, one of the old residents of this county, was born in Massachusetts October 28, 1817. He was the oldest son born to Chester and Eunice (Sadler) Packard, both natives of Massachusetts, of English descent. The great grandfather of Chester Packard emigrated from England to America and located at Bridgewater, Mass. To him all persons in this country by that name may trace their descent. In 1833 our subject accompanied his father to Licking County, Ohio, where he grew up to manhood working upon a farm. In 1842 he came to this county and located in Union, now Allen Township. In February 1872 he located in the town of Macy, where he has since resided. He learned the carpenter's trade early in life and this has been his chief occupation ever since. He, however, taught school some during his earlier life, and a portion of his attention has been given to agricultural pursuits. March 12, 1840, he was united in marriage to Eliza J. Bryant, a native of Licking County, Ohio, born of German and Scotch-Irish parents, June 15, 1820. She was the daughter of Charles and Nancy (Mesearvy) Bryant, both natives of Maine. Mr. and Mrs. Packard are the parents of eleven children, eight of whom are living: Charles C., Thomas J., Nancy E., Bryant W., Noah S., Franklin P., Silas E., Ira B., Laura B., Nelson S., and Sumner D. Of these Thomas J., Noah S. and Nelson S. are deceased. Mrs. Packard is a member of the Christian church. Politically, Mr. Packard is a Democrat. He has been honored with the office of Justice of the Peace two terms, and the office of Constable two and one-half terms. As such he discharged his duties in a creditable manner, He has now been a resident of Miami County over forty-four years, and is one of her most highly respected citizens. ["History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present" ... By Brant & Fuller, Chicago - Contributed by Barb Zigenmeyer]
William C. Phipps
Of those men most prominently identified with the wholesale trade of Saginaw, none has done more to make this city a large jobbing center than William C. Phipps. Coming here thirty-four years ago, when lumber production approached it height, he witnessed its decline and at a critical time in the business of the valley he established the wholesale grocery house, which has since become one of the largest in this section. He was born in Newark, Licking County, Ohio, November 14, 1861, his parents being Jesse and Isabelle Phipps, who were natives of Venango County, Pennsylvania. He is of English-Irish descent, his grandparents on his father's side having been born and reared in England, while those on his mother's side were born in Dublin. Although the Phipps name is not a common one, there gathered several years ago in a family reunion at the old homestead in Pennsylvania, about two thousand members of the various branches of the family, in all walks of life, and representing almost every business, trade, and profession.
Jesse Phipps, the father of William C., settled at an early day at Newark, Ohio, where he engaged in farming, and in after years was a general merchant in the town. He died in 1879 and was buried in Newark. The mother, Mrs. Isabelle Phipps, removed to Saginaw in the latter part of 1898, and made her home with her son until her death in 1911.
William C. Phipps was reared in Newark, received his education in the public schools, and graduated from the High School in 1879. Though only eighteen years of age he had acquired a taste for literature, and at once secured a position as reporter on the Ohio State Sentinel, of Columbus, Ohio. Merchandising in those days, as now, offered greater inducements to ambitious youth than literature, and soon after he went to Indiana and found employment in a general store owned by five Quaker brothers. He derived much valuable experience and some amusement, too, in their employ which continued for about a year. In the summer of 1881 he came to East Saginaw and for three months was a clerk in the clothing store of "Little Jake" Seligman. In those days all stores kept open late into the night, and the close confinement of clerking did not promote his general health.
One day in November, when he was pale and apparently far from well, he was approached by William L. Ring who had been attracted by his manly bearing. Believing that the invigorating air of the pine woods would restore the young man's health, Mr. Ring, with his proverbial kindness, through an entire stranger, invited him to go to his father's logging camp on the Cedar River. This offer he gladly accepted, and upon arriving in camp was advised to keep out of doors a good portion of the day and to mingle freely with the lumber jacks. Though he had no regular duties he proceeded to make himself useful, and soon had systematized the keeping of the camp accounts and supplies so that he was given a regular salary. He stayed in the woods until the following April when he came down the river with the "drive," and arrived in Saginaw with renewed strength and vigor. During the winter he was closely associated with Eleazer J. Ring, the father of Willian L. Ring, of whon he formed a strong attachment. Several characteristics of Mr. Ring wer indelibly impressed upon his memory, and one in particular. His employer would often stop on the tote road, step to one side, make strange diagrams in the clean fresh snow, and proceed to demonstrate some difficult problems in geometry, which proceeding was not to the edification to his hearers. He recalls that Mr. Ring was a man of strong convictions, particularly on the question of temperance, and was self appointed guardian of young and innocent persons who came within his observation. In the summer of 1882 Mr. Phipps entered the employ of the Wells-Stone Mercantile Company, which enjoyed a large wholesale trade in lumberman's supplies. He rose rapidly with this company and eventually reached the highest position in their trust and confidence. In 1896, when the decline of the lumber business in Northern Michigan had reduced the volume of their business, he organized the corporation of Phipps, Penoyer & Company to take over the old business and to develop the wholesale grocery trade in this section of the State. Although the future of the valley looked dark and the times were hard, he believed in the future development of agriculture in the county surrounding Saginaw, and did not hesitate to extend and develop the territory beyond by sending his salesmen to remote points in the Thumb and in western and northern counties. Other enterprising men soon followed his lead and the competition thus created finally established this wholesale market as the natural point of distribution of grocery supplies to an extensive territory. This territory is now bounded on the east, north and west by lakes, and on the south and west it overlaps the trade of Detroit and Grand Rapids.
In 1893 Mr. Phipps was married in Saginaw to Miss Kate Richman, daughter of Captain Charles Richman one of the early pioneers of the valley. One son, Richman, was born to them in August, 1894, and is now approaching his majority. Mrs. Phipps died in September, 1898. She was a woman of rare attainments and charming personality, and was greatly beloved by a wide circle of friends.
Though of retiring disposition, so far as public life and service is concerned, Mr. Phipps was a kind, liberal, and approachable man, and was interested in every move which would promote the
development and prosperity of the community. He was possessed of fine literary tastes, a studious mind, and was a reader of the best works of living authors, and was well informed on the current events of the day. Mr. Phipps was again married in February, 1906, to Miss Anna Fair, of Saginaw, and one daughter, Margaret, was born to them, in 1907. He died after a long illness on February 27, 1915. [Source: History of Saginaw County Michigan, Vol 2, Publ. 1918. Transcribed by Dana Kraft]
Silas Eber Price, D. D.
[Note: Where .......... the page was torn.]
Silas Eber Price, D. D., president of Ottawa University, Ottawa, Kan., has been connected with this institution since Sept. 1, 1906 , and in that time he has labored untiringly to promote its advancement and broaden the scope of its influence. This school was organized in 1860 under the name of Roger Williams University by the Baptist denomination in Kansas, and was chartered by the territorial legislature, Feb. 20, 1860. In December of that year the Ottawa Indians donated the school 20,000 acres of their reservation, though a portion of it was returned to them afterward, but for this gift it was deemed appropriate to name the school Ottawa University when it was incorporated in 1865. (For a more complete history see Vol. II.) At the present time the faculty consists of twenty members and the students number about 400. Though not a large school, the work required of the students is of the highest order and measures up to the full limit of their possibilities. Both the paternal and maternal ancestors of Dr. Price are of Welsh descent. Edward Price, the father of Thomas D. and grandfather of Silas Eber, was born in Wales, but came to America in 1803, located in Ohio; where he plied his trade of weaver and continued to reside until his death. Maurice Jones, the maternal grandfather of Dr. Price, was also a native of Wales and came to America when young, settling in Ohio, where he engaged in agricultural pursuits until his retirement and death.
Dr. Price was born in Newark, Ohio, Feb. 28, 1860, the son of Thomas D. and Sarah J. (Jones) Price, the former born in Newark, and the latter near there. They were both worthy members of the Baptist church and active workers in its behalf. The father was a Republican and took a great interest in political affairs. To these honored parents were born eight sons, six of whom are living and four of the six are engaged in professional work in some of the best educational institutions of our country. Ira M. has been a member of the faculty of Chicago University since its organization. Milo B. is principal of Pillsbury Academy in Minnesota . Homer C. is dean of the Ohio Agricultural College, and Silas Eber is president of Ottawa University. The collegiate education of Dr. Price was obtained at Denison University, Granville, Ohio, where he was graduated in 1884. He then entered the Theological Seminary at Morgan Park, a suburb of Chicago, Ill., and was graduated in 1887. He began his ministerial duties as pastor of the Tabernacle Baptist Church, La Crosse, Wis., with subsequent pastorates in Minnesota and in Milwaukee, Wis., then was called to the pastorate of the First Baptist Church of Ottawa in 1904, and in 1906 Dr. J. D. S. Riggs, then president of Ottawa University, resigned and with unerring judgment suggested Dr. Price as his successor.
On Sept. 8, 1887, at Ontario, Wis., was solemnized the marriage of Dr. Price and Nettie M. Sandon, daughter of Robert and Ellen Sandon. Her father was a native of England, but after coming to America was for many years a successful merchant of Ontario, Wis. To Dr. and Mrs. Price have been born two children: Clair S., a graduate of Ottawa University --class of 1910--is city editor of the Pueblo Leader; .........., Hattie May, a member of the sophomore class (1910) in Ottawa University. ["Kansas Biography", Vol. III, Part 2, 1912 - Page: 1902-1903 - Transcribed by Millie Mowry]
BACK -- HOME