Elzey L. Huber
Elzey L. Huber, who is now largely engaged in buying and feeding stock and maes his home in Bellefontaine, was born in Bloomfield twp., Logan Co., Feb. 2 1857. As the name indicates the Huber family is of German descent. Manasses Huber, the father of our subject, was born in Rockingham Co., Va.Aug. 10 1806, and was the son of John and Margaret Stottlemeir Huber, in whose family were eight children. John died in Virginia in 1827, and his widow, with six of her children, came to Logan Co.., Oh. in Oct. 1832. She purchased a farm one mile east of DeGraff and there made her home until called to her final rest on March 18, 1856, at the age of eighty-eight years.
The early life of Manasses Huber was passed in the state of his nativity, and after coming to Ohio he assisted his mother in the development of the new farm, remaining at home until his marriage. On Nov. 23rd, 1837, he wedded Miss Nancy Meckemson (Makemson), who was born near DeGraff, this county, Dec. 7, 1818, a daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Wallace Makemson. At an very early day her father removed here from Kentucky, and became a successful farmer of Pleasant township. He lived to the extreme old age of one hundred and one years. After his marriage, Mannasses Huber purchased a farm in Bloomfield twp. and as an agriculturist he met with excellent success, becoming the owner of seven hunderd and twenty acres of land. He was also one of the most prominent stock-raiser and dealers in hi communtiy and was a Democrat in politics. During the days of the early militia he was captain of the Logan Co., Light Horse Guard and was afterward known as Captain Huber. Both he and his wife were active and influential members of the Methodist Episcopal church, being among the first of that denomination in this county, and for many years their home was used as a meeting house. The Captain died on the 31st of January, 1873, aged sixty-six years, honored and respected by all who knew him, and his estimable wife passed away Dec. 13, 1901, at the age of eighty-three years. Of their ten children, six are still living, namely: Allen, Margaret, Sarah, Isaiah, Tiry and Elzey L.
To the public school system of his native county, Elzey L. Huber is indebted for the educational privileges he received. While at home with his father he became interested in the stock business, in which he has largely engaged throughout his entire life. In early manhood he was associated with his brother Tiry in this business, but at the time of his marriage the partnership was dissolved and he had become the owner of one hundred and fifty-three acres of land and, locating thereon, he continued to make it his place of residence until 1901, when he came to Bellefontaine. In the meantime he added to his farm until he now owns two hundred and sixty-four acres all on one tract in Bloomfield township. Upon this place are two sets of farm buildings. While carrying on general farming he devoted much time to buying, feeding and shipping cattle and hogs and he is now largely engaged in stock-dealing and is well known to stock men throughout this portion of the state. He is an excellent judge of domestic animals and his judicious purchases and sales have brought to him a good financial return for his labor.
On the 20th of March, 1884, Mr. Huber was untied in marriage to Miss Fannie McKinnon, a native of McArthur twp., born Sep. 29 1862, a daughter of of William McKinnon, a native of Clark Co., who was a farmer and stockman. In Logan Co. her father married Sarah Denny. He died in 1899 at the age of seventy years, but his widow is still living and makes her home on Sandusky Ave. in Bellefontaine. Mr. McKinnon's death occurred on the old home farm. He was at one time the owner of about one thousand acres of land and was regarded as one of the wealthy men as well as honored citizens of his community. In the McKinnon family were eight children, six of whom still survive: John, Lucinda, Dennis, Fannie, Willie and Carrie.
Unto Mr. & Mrs. Huber has been born one child, Fred, whose birth occurred May 2, 1889 and who is yet in school.
Mr. and Mrs. Huber and their son are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Huber held the office of steward and took an active part in church work at Bloom Center, where with his wife he still holds membership. He owns property on East Brown St. in Bellefontaine. Widely known in his native county, he has gained many friends among the better class of people and he deserves the regard which is uniformly accorded in recognition of sterling traits of character. His business affairs have been prosecuted energetically and dilligently with the result that his labors have been crowned with success and at the same time he has had due regard for the obligations of citizenship and of morality which rests upon every man, giving a generous support to all measures for the social, intellectual and moral upbuilding of his community. [This article states it was taken from Kennedy's Biographical Record, pgs 705-707, published 1903 - Submitted by Ann Baughman]
William Burtis Miles
Miles, William Burtis, holds prestige as one of the most skilled and successful contractors and builders of Georgia, and no further evidence of his signal ability in his line of business is demanded than that afforded by the magnificent state capitol of Georgia, for the erection of which his firm were the contractors and of the building of which he had personal supervision. He came to Georgia for this purpose and has since maintained his residence and business headquarters in the city of Atlanta, where he is held in high esteem as a citizen and as a progressive and public-spirited business man. Mr. Miles was born in West Liberty, Logan county, Ohio, May 28, 1843, a son of Abram Cole Miles, who was born in Charlestown, West Virginia, in April, 1814, and Martha Jane (Miller) Miles, who was born in New York city, in 1816, both having been residents of West Liberty, Ohio, at the time of their death and the father having been a successful contractor and builder of the old Buckeye State. The subject of this review was afforded the advantages of the common schools of Ohio, passed his boyhood and youth in his native town, and learned the carpenter's trade under the able direction of his father.] He was in the state of New York at the outbreak of the Civil war, and on Aug. 8, 1862, at the age of nineteen years, he enlisted as a private in the First New York sharpshooters, and was thereafter in active service until the close of the war. He took part in the engagements at Suffolk, Va., Mine Run, the battle of the Wilderness, siege of Petersburg and in many minor conflicts; was a member of General Grant's forces and present at the final surrender of General Lee, at Appomattox. At the battle of the Wilderness he was promoted to sergeant-major and he received his honorable discharge, in the city of Rochester, N. Y., May 3, 1865. After the close of his military career Mr. Miles located in the city of Toledo, Ohio, and initiated his career as an independent contractor and builder, soon gaining distinctive recognition. In 1882 he became associated with I. K. Cramer and Charles D. Horn, under the firm name of Miles, Cramer & Horn. Mr. Cramer retired in 1884, after which the firm of Miles & Horn continued in active and successful business until the death of Mr. Horn, in August, 1887. In addition to the construction of many fine business blocks and private residences, the firm constructed a large number of court houses, school houses, churches and other public or semi-public buildings throughout Ohio, Michigan and Indiana, gaining a very high reputation and building up a business of magnificent proportions. In 1884 Miles & Horn secured the contract for the erection of the new capitol of the State of Georgia, in Atlanta, and in the autumn of that year Mr. Miles removed to this city, where he has since continued to maintain his home and business headquarters. The capitol building was completed in 1889, the death of his partner having occurred in the meanwhile, and the structure is an enduring monument to the scrupulous fidelity and marked technical ability of Mr. Miles, under whose personal supervision the building was erected. He has been very successful in his other professional operations throughout the south, where he has secured and completed many important contracts, and he has thoroughly identified himself with the business and civic interests of Atlanta. He is a stanch adherent of the Republican party, and while he has not been a seeker of public office he served four years as a member of the Atlanta board of education1897-1901. Since 1890 he has been a member of the board of trustees of the Georgia school of technology. He is a deacon in the First Presbyterian church and is affiliated with the Grand Army of the Republic. On Sept. 22, 1868, Mr. Miles was united in marriage to Miss Sarah M. Morehead, only daughter of George and Emeline E. (Hall) Morehead, of Putnam county, Ohio, and of this union have been born five children: William Herman was born in 1869 and died in 1882; Harry Hall was born in 1874 and maintains his home in Atlanta; Maud was born in 1875 and died in 1899. Bertha was born in 1883, and Herbert LeRoy, in 1895 and remains at the parental home. [Source: Georgia Comprising Sketches of Counties, Towns, Events, Institutions, and Persons, Vol 2, Publ 1906. Transcribed by Tracy McAllister]
Ralph Lane Polk
POLK, Ralph Lane; born, Bellefontaine, O., (Logan Co) Sept. 12, 1849; son of Rev. David Polk; educated in common schools and at Pennington (N. J. ) Seminary; married, Sept. 17, 1877, Amelia Hopkins. Began active career on farm; then clerk in grocery store at Trenton, N.J., later taking charge of ice business for Patrick ONeil of same city; enlisted as musician in Co. G, 40th New York Volunteers at 15 years of age, and remained in service seven months; mustered out at Halls Hill, Va., Aug., 1865. Came to Detroit after the war and organized firm of R.L. Polk & Co., publishers of state gazetteers and city directories. President Association of American Directory publishers. Republican. Presbyterian. member Masonic order, Royal Arcanum, G.A.R., National Union. Clubs: Fellowcraft, Detroit Fishing and Hunting Association. Recreations: Hunting and fishing. Office: 68 Griswold St. Residence: 91 High. [The Book of Detroiters. Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis Copyright, 1908 - transcribed by Christine Walters]
The people of Chelan county (WA) and central Washington need no introduction to Frank Reeves. Chelan county itself owes its existence to his efforts, aided by Arthur Gunn. Mr. Reeves has demonstrated himself a man of ability, energy and integrity. These qualities dominated by a powerful will have rightly placed him as leader and the county owes him a debt of gratitude which it is evident they recognize, for while Mr. Reeves is a strong Democrat, he has promptly been placed in the responsible office of prosecuting attorney twice, the people laying aside politics, since they are largely Republican, when his name is before them. They chose the man and they were not mistake in their choice.
Frank Reeves was born in Watseka, Illinois, on August 12, 1866, the son of Isaac W. and Susan C. (German) Reeves, natives of Indiana and now residing on a fruit ranch in the vicinity of Wenatchee. The Reeves family came from England to Virginia in the seventeenth century and have been prominent since. The father served in the Twenty-fifth Illinois Infantry, Company F, for three years and three months. He participated in thirty-nine hard battles, among which are Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, Stone River and so forth. The mothers father also served in the Civil War. Our subject was principally in Kansas during his minority. He was well educated through the graded and high schools at St. John and then read law in the office of T.F. Halverson, prosecuting attorney of Stafford county. He completed his course before twenty-one, and then took up newspaper work. He did reportorial and editorial work in Kansas, Colorado, and Washington, also on the Review in Spokane, and mined on the Pend dOreille in addition thereto. Later he taught school in Post-falls for one year. Then he founded the first Democratic paper in Ellensburg and in 1891 came to Wenatchee. He founded the Advance, sold it in the spring of 1893, started the Times in Leavenworth and in 1896 sold that. In 1899, Mr. Reeves, aided by Arthur Gunn, went to Olympia to secure the segregation of Chelan county and success crowned the wise efforts put forth. Early in 1900, Mr. Reeves was admitted to the practice of law before the supreme court and at the first election in the county, he was chosen prosecuting attorney and in 1902 his own successor. Mr. Reeves has one brother and one sister, Fred, and Rose Fuller.
On August 31, 1888, Mr. Reeves married Miss Belle Culp, at Genesee, Kansas. She was born in Bellefontaine, Ohio, where also her parents were born. One child, Zelma, now eleven, was born to this union and she is the first white child born in Wenatchee. Mr. Reeves is a member of the I.O.O.F. and the Elks. Mr. Reeves has various holdings, as a fruit ranch, town property and mining interests. He is one of the leading men of the Columbia valley and is the center of a large circle of admiring friends. [SOURCE: An Illustrated History of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan, and Chelan Counties in the state of Washington; Western Historical Publishing Company, 1904 Tr. by Tammie Rudder]
John W. Savage
JOHN W. SAVAGE, one of the prominent farmers of Allen Township, was born in Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania, June 21, 1826. He was the third son born to Jacob and Catharine (Nimenrod) Savage, both natives of Pennsylvania, of German descent. When John was four years old his parents emigrated to Ohio and located in Fairfield County, but two years later they removed to Logan County, Ohio. After residing here three years, they located in Henry County, Ohio. In 1838 they returned to Fairfield County, Ohio, where our subject spent his youth working upon a farm by the month. In November, 1851, he came to this county and located in Union Township. He removed to Allen Township and located where he now resides in March, 1860. During his entire life he has been engaged in agricultural pursuits. A part of his attention, however, has been given to the stock business. January 8, 1854, he was married to Ann Elizabeth Cover, a native of Frederick County, Maryland, born, of German descent, August 4, 1833. She was the eldest child born to William and Lucinda (Hina) Cover, both natives of Maryland. This marriage has resulted in the birth of seven children: Their names are Charles W., William I., Charlotte L., Rosa M., Elmer H., Noah W. and James G. Of these William I. died when eighteen months old. In politics Mr. Savage is an ardent Republican. He owns a handsome little farm of ninety two acres nearly all of which is in cultivation. His farm is fitted up with good fences and buildings and is a very desirable location. Mr. Savage is an enterprising and influential farmer and one of the honored and worthy citizens of the township. [History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present ... By Brant & Fuller, Chicago - Contributed by Barb Zigenmeyer]