Lorain County, Ohio
Frederic D. Allen
FREDERIC DE FOREST ALLEN, born in Oberlin, May 25, 1844. Entered the preparatory department in 1857, and graduated from the classical course in college in 1863; studied until 1865 in the theological seminary. Was professor of ancient languages University of Tennessee, Knoxville Tenn., 1866-73, with the exception of two years spent in Europe, where in 1870 he received Ph.D. from Leipsic university. In 1873-74 he was tutor of Greek in Harvard; 1874-79 professor of ancient languages in University of Cincinnati; professor of Greek in Yale College, 1879-90; professor of classical philology in Harvard, 1880-97. In 1876 he edited Euripides’ Medea; 1880, Remnants of Early Latin, and in 1884 revised Hadley’s Greek grammar; translated Aeschylus’ Prometheus in 1891. He married Emmeline Laighton, of Portsmouth, N. H., Dec. 26, 1878. Died near Portsmouth, Aug. 5, 1897. [Class of 1863] [Source: Necrology Oberlin College For The Year 1897-8 - Transcribed by: Helen Coughlin]
Ephraim H. Baker
EPHRAIM HUDSON BAKER, born Leon, N. Y., Nov. 17, 1830. Entered the preparatory department 1852; graduated from the classical course in college 1858, and from the seminary 1861. In 1861-2 2d lieutenant, 1st lieutenant and captain in U. S. army, but was honorably discharged in July, 1862, on account of disability; Sept. 1, 1862, married Ann J. Whitney, of Oberlin and preached from 1862-63 at West Mill Grove, O.; 1863-67, at Marseilles, Ill.; 1868-71, at Wyanet; 1871-75, Mendota; 1876-78 at Waukegan; 1878-79, at Henry; 1879-83, at Altona and Victoria; 1883-86 at Sutton, Neb.; 1886-88, at Syracuse, Neb.; and from 1888 until his death he lived at York, preaching for several years at Clay Center and Grafton. Died at York, March 18, 1898. [Class of 1858] [Source: Necrology Oberlin College For The Year 1897-8. Transcribed by: Helen Coughlin]
Enoch Noyes Bartlett
ENOCH NOYES BARTLETT, born at Bath, N. H., July 4, 1813. [Class of 1838] Entered Oberlin College as a special student in 1835; graduated from the classical course in 1838, and from the theological seminary 1841; ordained in Oberlin Aug. 24, 1841, and Aug. 31 was married to Emily Smith, of Unionville, O. He taught at Mt. Vernon, O., 1841-2; preached Farmington, O., and Garretsville 1843-47; taught at Olivet, Mich., 1846-58; preached at Newton, Ia. 1858-61; at Hamilton, Ill., 1861-65. He was acting principal of the preparatory department of O. C. 1866-68; preached at Newton, Ia., 1868-69; at Woodburn, Ill., 1869-73; Olathe, Kansas, 1873-74; was a real estate and mining agent at Colorado Springs from 1874 until he lost his sight in 1887. Then he removed to Cal., where he lived a quiet life until his death at Ventura, Aug. 13, 1897. [Source: Necrology Oberlin College For The Year 1897-8. Transcribed by: Helen Coughlin]
Josephine Penfield Cushman Bateham
BATEHAM, Mrs. Josephine Penfield Cushman, temperance reformer, born in Alden, N. Y., 1st November, 1829. She is descended from a godly New England ancestry. Her parents removed from New York State to Oberlin, Ohio, when Josephine was five years old. A few years later her widowed mother was married to Prof. Henry Cowles, author of "Cowles' Bible Commentaries," and became a member of the Ladies' Board of Managers of the college. Josephine, soon after graduation, was married to the Rev. Richard S. Cushman, of Attleboro, Mass., and went on a foreign mission to St. Marc, Hayti. After eleven months of laborious service Mr. Cushman died, and unable to carry on the new mission single-handed, Mrs. Cushman reluctantly resigned the work and returned home, a widow at nineteen years of age. After teaching a short time in Oberlin College, she was married to M. B. Bateham, editor of the "Ohio Cultivator," and removed to Columbus, Ohio. There they resided fourteen years, spending part of their summers in travel in the old world and the new, and jointly editing the "Cultivator," afterward the "Ohio Farmer." Foremost in church and reform work, and widely known by her writings, her home was ever a center of attraction. At Painesville, Ohio, for sixteen years from 1864, Mrs. Bateham devoted herself to her growing family, to writing, to missionary and temperance work, and was then bereft of her husband. At the opening of the temperance crusade in Ohio, in 1874, Mrs. Bateham became the leader of the Painesville crusade band, and later one of the leaders in the State Woman's Christian Temperance Union. In 1884 she was made national superintendent of the Sabbath observance department of that organization, and her eldest daughter, Minerva, was her secretary till her death, in 1885, after eighteen years of invalidism. Mrs. Bateham removed to Asheville, N. C., in 1890, where she devotes her time to the work of the Woman's Christian Temperance Union. During 1890 she traveled sixteen-thousand miles, in nearly every State and Territory and through the Hawaiian Islands, and gave nearly three-hundred lectures. She has written a long line of valuable leaflets on Sabbath questions, of which she sends out more than a million pages everv year. ["American Women Fifteen Hundred Biographies", Volume 1, Publ. 1897. MS - Sub by FoFG]
Stanley B. Beard
STANLEY BENTON BEARD, born in Sparta, O., Feb. 26, 1867. Entered Oberlin Seminary in 1891 and graduated in 1894, having been married to Jessie E. Cullery in 1886. After his graduation he preached at Berea until his death Dec. 6, 1897.[Class of 1894] [Source: Necrology Oberlin College For The Year 1897-8. Transcribed by: Helen Coughlin]
J. Adam Bede
BEDE J Adam, Pine City. Congressman. Born 1856 in Lorain county Ohio. Educated in Ohio public schools. First engaged in teaching school and was employed as reporter on various newspapers; served as U S marshal for Minn 1 year; campaign orator 1896-1900; member of U S House of Representatives 1903 to date. [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Rhonda Hill]
BLACKMER Heman, Albert Lea. Public official. Born Jan 3, 1850 in Amherst O, son of Franklin and Minerva (Wilkins) Blackmer. Married in 1873 to Helen Webster (died 1903); in 1904 married to Ella Huyck. Educated in public schools of Albert Lea and Oberlin O College; graduated from law dept Univ of Wis; admitted to practice 1873. Has been engaged in the practice of his profession in Albert Lea to date. Stockholder in Home Metallic Refrigerator Co. Served as city justice, court comnr and has been judge of probate 1885 to date, except 20 months. Member Minn State and Freeborn County Bar assns; Commercial Club; Masonic fraternity and IOOF. [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Rhonda Hill]
Watson E. Boise
WATSON E. BOISE, one of the prominent early settlers of Steele county, is a gentleman of good business tact, and is the cashier of the Hope State Bank, organized at Hope, North Dakota, in May, 1900, and was previously bookkeeper in the Steele County Bank for nearly five years. He has been identified with the growth of the country and every enterprise to which he devoted his attention has been successful in its results, and he has gained an enviable reputation as a citizen and business man.
Our subject was born in Huron county, Ohio, September 8, 1857. The name is of French origin, and his ancestors were among the French Huguenots who left their native country for Holland. His ancestry in this country dates to the days of its early settlement, he being a direct descendant of Peregrine White, the first white child born in New England. His grandparents moved from Worcester, Massachusetts, to Ohio by ox team in 1832, and settled in Lorain county, and his grandfather was once a trustee of Oberlin College.
Mr. Boise was the oldest in a family of five children, and was a son of Spencer W. and Celestia E. (Gould) Boise, both residents of Ohio. He was raised on the home farm and remained there until seventeen years of age. He entered the preparatory department of Oberlin College in March, 1875, and graduated from that institution with the class of 1880, with the degree of A.B. Excelling in the languages, he planned a career as teacher of these branches. He came to Dakota in April, 1881, and upon his arrival entered claim to land on section 26, in Hope township, Tower City being the nearest railroad point. There were no buildings in the township until that spring, and he hauled lumber twenty-five miles from Tower City and erected a 10x12 shanty, one of the first buildings in the township. He built a frame house the following fall, and soon afterward had a farm and steadily improved the place and met with unbounded success. Sheep culture was successfully carried on during the years 1890-98. Mrs. Boise's ill health caused him to leave the farm in 1894, and he accepted his present position in 1895.
Our subject was married, in 1882, to Miss Grace S. Pomroy, a native of Bristol, New York. Mrs. Boise was a student of Oberlin College, and was by profession a teacher. Six children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Boise, as follows: David W., Charles W., Howard S., Otis P., Florence M. and Eugene B. Mr. Boise is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and Brotherhood of American Yeoman. He is president of the board of trustees of the town of Hope, and is a man of active public spirit. Politically he is a Populist, and is a man who keeps pace with the world and favors reform principles. [Source: "Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota", Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
William B. Bosworth
BOSWORTH William B, Ada. Farmer and contractor. Born Sept 23, 1861 in Elyria O, son of Daniel and Ann Eliza (Nevins) Bosworth. Attended county school Mower county and graded school LeRoy Minn. Moved to Ada 1864 and has been engaged as contr under firm name of Bosworth Bros to date; making specialty of municipal work and drainage. Owner of fine farms comprising 1000 acres. Dir Norman County Telephone Co; propr Opera House: former sergt in M N G. [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Rhonda Hill]
Richard H. Cole
RICHARD H. COLE, of the Miami County Sentinel and one of the proprietors of the Cole Block, was born in this city, Nov. 26, 1853; son of Hon. Alphonso and Sarah H. (Henton) Cole, and is of English extraction. His father was born near Oberlin, Ohio, December, 25, 1818. He came to Miami County in 1834. By occupation he was a lawyer and one of the early members of the Miami County Bar. In 1847 and '48, and in 1849 and '50, he represented this county in the Indiana Legislature. He was one of the early prominent men of this county. His death occurred August 4, 1862. Our subject is the elder of two living children. After graduating at the Peru High School, he was a student for two years at the University of Illinois, located at Champaign. In 1876 he was elected Surveyor of Miami County, and in 1881 was elected City Engineer of Peru. In 1879 he purchased a half interest in the Miami County Sentinel, and with which he is now connected. In politics he is a Democrat and is a member of the K. of P. fraternity of this city. He was married November 15, 1882, to Miss Belle M. Talbot, of this city, born March 15, 1860. Mr. Cole is a representative of one of the early families of this county. [Source: "History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present..." By Brant & Fuller, Chicago - Submitted by Barb Zigenmeyer]
William M. Eccles
WILLIAM M. ECCLES, born Mt. Gilead, O., 1841. Entered the preparatory department in 1860, and graduated from the classical course in college in 1865. In 1876 he married Georgie E. Ladd, and after was again married to Mara S. Concannon in 1873. He practiced law in St. Louis, Mo., until 1897, when he removed to Mt. Gilead, O., where he died April 15, 1898. [Class of 1865] [Source: Necrology Oberlin College For The Year 1897-8. Transcribed by: Helen Coughlin]
Major Allanson William Edwards
Colonel Cadle, adjutant-general of the Seventeenth Corps, commanded by the brave, popular and genial General Frank Blair, in the following letter to "The Forum," has some words for an old comrade and explains how he comes to write:
"Society of the Army of the Tennessee, Recording Secretary's office, P.O. box 35, Cincinnati, Ohio, March 31, 1898. --- To 'The Forum': The Society for the Army of the Tennessee desires to keep in its records memoranda showing the services of their members. Some time ago I wrote to Major Edwards and asked him to send me a sketch that would enable us, when he died, to print his obituary. He sent me a very brief statement, but knowing as much, or more, of his record than he modestly stated to me, I have written the enclosed, and if you think it worth while it might be printed, because it shows a great deal of his experience in the Army of the Tennessee in the war of the Rebellion.
"He was certainly a gallant soldier in our army, and credit should be given to living men as well as dead. Therefore, I send this to you with the hope that it may be used, and that, as an obituary of our society, it may be long before it is required. Major Edwards does not know of this communication. Yours very truly,
"Major Alanson William Edwards was born in Lorain county, Ohio, August 27, 1840. His father removed to Macoupin county, Illinois, in 1848. Major Edwards attended the county schools and was afterward, in 1856 - 57, a student at McKendree College, Illinois. He was a railroad express agent and telegraph operator at Gillespie, Illinois, when the war broke out.
"He enlisted at once for the three months' service, but the quota of Illinois was then filled, as was the first call for three years' volunteers. He enlisted and was mustered in as a private of Company I, One Hundred and Twenty-second Illinois Infantry, at Camp Palmer, Carlinville, Illinois, August 4, 1862. He served in the Western army, beginning at Columbus, Kentucky. He was clerk in the office of the adjutant-general, district of Jackson war department, General Grenville M. Dodge, of Corinth, Mississippi.
"In April, 1863, by authority from the war department, General Grenville M. Dodge, at Corinth, Mississippi, organized the First Alabama Union Cavalry from loyal refugees, driven from their homes in the mountains in north Alabama by Confederate conscripting officers. Major Edwards was appointed first lieutenant and adjutant, with George E. Spencer as colonel, and was afterward promoted to captain L troop of this regiment.
"He served with General Van Dereer as acting assistant adjutant-general, district of Rome and of Marietta, Georgia, and was near Kenesaw mountain with General Sherman when Sherman signalled Corse at Allatoona to 'hold the fort,' at the same time that Captain Flint, of Company E, First Alabama Calvary, was aide to General Corse, and wrote at Corse's dictation the answer about 'losing his cheek, but was able to whip all hell yet.'
"Major Edwards commanded Company M of his regiment on the 'March to the sea,' and in the close approach to Savannah he rode with the First Alabama Calvary over the torpedoes planted in the road by the enemy. Lieutenant F. W. Tupper, his successor and adjutant of the regiment, having his leg blown off, and many of the regiment were severely wounded.
"Colonel Cornelius Cadle, the adjutant-general of the Seventeenth Army Corps, being that moment in advance with the First Alabama Calvary, directed the provost marshal of the corps, Major John C. Marvin, to bring to the front all the prisoners of war, and they, upon their hands and knees, dug into the ground and took out the torpedoes --- the unexploded ones --- that several of these prisoners had assisted in 'planting' a few days before. It happened that the Confederate sergeant who had supervision of the placing of these torpedoes was one of the prisoners, and he readily found them and carefully aided in clearing our way to Savannah, the city that was a Christmas present from Sherman to our president, Lincoln.
"At Savannah Major Edwards was detached from his regiment by order of General Sherman, and assigned to duty as acting adjutant-general, Fourth Division, Fifteenth Army Corps, and served with General Corse, the division commander, until after the grand review of the armies at Washington, May 24 and 25, 1865, and was mustered out July 11, 1865. He was brevetted major March 13, 1865, for 'gallant and meritorious service in the field.'
"Major Edwards was present at the meeting of the officers of the Army of the Tennessee, called to organize our society at Raleigh, North Carolina, April 25, 1865.
"The first post of the Grand Army of the Republic was organized by Dr. B. F. Stevenson, at Decatur, Illinois, and several members were sent over the state to institute other posts. A dozen or so were mustered at the same time. Major Edwards, after his war service, was mustered in Post No. 6, at Bunker Hill, Illinois, which was one of the earliest organized posts of the Grand Army of the Republic.
"Returning to his home in 1865, he resuscitated the 'Union Gazette,' at Bunker Hill, Illinois, a paper he published before going to the war, and which was suspended during the war. In 1868 Major Edwards secured an interest in the 'Carlinville Free Democrat,' a Republican paper started by Senator John M. Palmer in 1856.
"Major Edwards was warden of the Illinois State Penitentiary at Joliet in 1871 - 1872. After the great Chicago fire he went into business in Chicago, and was a member of the board of trade in 1875 - 1878. He went into the Black Hills in 1876, located at Fargo in 1878, as editor of the 'Fargo Republican.' He established the 'Daily Argus' in 1879. Governor G. A. Pierce, of our society, appointed Major Edwards superintendent of the semi-decenniel census of Dakota territory in 1885. Major Edwards was elected mayor of Fargo in 1886 - 7; was a member of legislature 1895 - 6. He lost 'The Argus' in 1890, started the 'Daily Forum' in 1891, purchased the 'Republican,' the first paper he started, and consolidated the two, and it is now issued by Edwards & Plumley.
"Major Edwards was married to Elizabeth Robertson at Carlinville, Illinois, in 1870. They have six sons and one daughter, all living in Fargo, North Dakota. The sons are Harry Goodell, twenty-six years; William Robertson, twenty-three years; Alanson Charles, nineteen years; John Palmer, seventeen years; George Washington, thirteen years; Richford Roberts, nine years; and Marie R., twenty-four years.
"Cincinnati, Ohio, March 31, 1898."
[Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Brenda Shaffer]
Lafayette A. Edwards
LAFAYETTE ASAEL EDWARDS, born Huntingdon, O., July 29, 1859. Entered preparatory department 1877 and graduated from the Classical Course in the College 1883. Married Alberta S. Probert 1883. Since his graduation he had preached at Huntington, Pa.; Jacksonville, Fla.; Oberlin; Wilbur, Ore. He died in Oberlin April 30, 1898. [Class of 1883] [Source: Necrology Oberlin College For The Year 1897-8. Transcribed by: Helen Coughlin]
MAJOR-GENERAL J.Q.A. GILMORE was born in Lorain county, Ohio, in 1825, and graduated, first of his class, at West Point, in 1849. He was assigned to the corps of topographical engineers, and was engaged on the fortifications of Hampton Roads, Virginia, between the years 1849 -1852. The following four years, he was assistant instructor of practical engineering at West Point, during a part of which time he was also quartermaster and treasurer. In 1861, he received the appointment of chief engineer of Sherman's expedition against the Southern coast. He was engaged on the fortifications at Hilton Head, and designed and carried into execution the operations against Fort Pulaski. In April, 1862, he became brigadier-general of volunteers, was for some time engaged in South Carolina, and in September, of the same year, was put in command of the district of Western Virginia. He defeated Pegram at the battle of Somerset, Kentucky, March 30th, 1863, and on the 12th of June, of the same year, was placed in command of the Department of the South. On September 6th, 1863, he captured Fort Wagner and Battery Gregg, in Charleston Harbor. In May, 1864, in command of the Tenth corps, he was ordered to join the Army of the James, under Butler, and was engaged in two unsuccessful assaults on Petersburg. In February, 1865, he was again ordered to the Department of the South, and, on the evacuation of Charleston, occupied that city with his forces. In September, 1865, he became commander of the Department of South Carolina. [Source: A Complete History of the Great Rebellion of the Civil War in the U.S. 1861-1865 with Biographical sketches of the Principal actors in the Great Drama. By Dr. James Moore, Published 1875) Submitted by Linda Rodriguez]
Sylvester S. Grinnell
SYLVESTER STORRS GRINNELL, born in Mt. Gilead, O., Jan. 12, 1850. His preparatory education was obtained at Farmers’ Institute, Ind., and at Maryville, Tenn.; graduated at Maryville college, 1874; Oberlin Theological Seminary, 1878; ordained Rochester, Vt., Jan. 14, 1879.
Preached Rochester, Vt., 1878-80; student Andover Theological Seminary, 1880-81; preached Green River, Wyo., 1881; Des Moines, Iowa, 1882-84; Rockford, 1884-87; Lancaster, Wis., 1887-90; River Falls, Wis., 1890-94; Alpena, Mich., 1894-96; without charge, Pasadena, Cal., 1896 to the time of his death. He was married Jan 13, 1887, to Corrinna Amira Phelps of Rockford, who survives him. Died at Pasadena, Cal., Dec. 12, 1897. [Class of 1878] [Source: Necrology Oberlin College For The Year 1897-8. Transcribed by: Helen Coughlin]
Charles C. Hinman
CHARLES CAMPBELL HINMAN, born Atwater, O., Jan. 23, 1849. Entered the preparatory department in 1864 and graduated from the classical course in 1871, since which time he has been engaged in the stone business, in Goshen, Ind. until Jan., 1885; in Cleveland till Dec., 1886; and in Philadelphia since 1887, as local manager. He died at his mother’s home in Oberlin, Aug. 20, 1897. [Class of 1871][Source: Necrology Oberlin College For The Year 1897-8. Transcribed by: Helen Coughlin]
Henry H. Ingersoll
INGERSOLL, Henry Hulbert, lawyer; born Oberlin, Ohio., Jan. 20, 1844; English descent; son of William and Samantha (Bassett) Ingersoll; father’s occupation farmer; paternal grandparents David and Sarah (Parsons) Ingersoll; maternal grandparents Ansel and Eunice (Dimock) Bassett; educated at Oberlin, O., and New Haven, Conn., graduated Yale College with degree of A.B., 1863, A.M. 1866, Washington College LL.D. in 1889; married Emily Gertrude Rogers April 1864; served as private Co. "H" 7th Ohio Volunteer Infantry 1861; in early life he was grade school superintendent, Kenton, O.; from Ohio he moved to Greeneville, Tenn., in 1865, later moved to Knoxville, Tenn., where he practiced law for twenty-five years; for past 20 years he has been teaching law and writing law books; Dean of the law department University of Tenn., for past 20 years; author; Barton’s Suite in Equity; Ingersoll on Public Corporations, (Hornbook), Municipal Corporations in C.Y.C., Treatise on Equity; Correspondents’ Library and Towns in C.Y.C.; Assistant Attorney-General First Circuit, Tenn. 1866-7; Tilden elector 1876; Judge of Supreme Court Conn. 1879-1880; Supreme Court 1884-85; member F. & A.M. (Past Grand Master of Tenn.), Irving Club, and Highland Golf Club (President); Communicant and Vestryman St. John’s Episcopal church, Knoxville, Tenn., and member of General Convention. [Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by K. Mohler]
GEORGE KLAUS, farmer, is a native of Germany, and was born on the 25th day of May, 1823. His youth until twelve years of age, was spent at his birthplace. His father, Jacob, and his mother, Ann Eliza Klaus, emigrated to America with their family in 1835, and settled in Lorain County, Ohio. The senior Klaus was a miller by trade, but was engaged in farming, and in October, 1844, he became a resident of Atchison County. The son was reared on a farm and has since made agricultural pursuits his life vocation, in which he has been very successful. In 1849 he was influenced by the report from California in relation to the discovery of gold to visit the new Eldorado. He made the trip across the plains and was for some time engaged in mining with a fair degree of success. He returned to the states in 1851 by the way of Central America. In 1852 he married Miss Margaret Hall, a native of Ohio. Mrs. Klaus died in 1874, leaving ten children: Louis, Louisa (now Mrs. Van Meter), Lucretia (now Mrs. White), Levi, Loretta (now Mrs. Low), Lavina, Lucinda, Luella, Lelia, Lunolla. They lost one son, Lafayette. Mr. K. married for his second wife Mrs. Adaline Barger, whose maiden name was Burns, in 1876; she is a native of Lafayette County, Missouri. Their family by this marriage consists of two children: Flora and Charlie. Mrs. Klaus has four children by a former marriage: Melissa (now Mrs. Jenkins), Henry B., Lydia and Viola. Few men are more widely or favorably known throughout the county. He has never sought or held a public office, nor is he a candidate for popularity or public fame. He is a plain, unassuming farmer, social and obliging as a neighbor, kind and warm hearted as a friend, law abiding as a citizen, hospitable and generous to all; a citizen of whom his adopted country may well be proud. His farm contains 350 acres, with excellent improvements. [St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
Austin N. McConoughey
AUSTIN NEHEMIAH McCONOUGHEY,[Class of 1842] -- born at Bainbridge, O., Aug. 30, 1812. Married Martha Nettleton in 1835; entered Oberlin theological seminary 1839, and graduated 1842, being ordained in Oberlin Aug. 23, of the same year. Preached at Dover, O., 1841-43, at Brooklyn 1843-44; at Lodi, 1844-47; Pittsfield, 1847-51; Chester Cross Roads, 1852-55; New Lyme, 1855-57; Ellington, N. Y.,1857-61; Adrian, Mich., Wabjamego and Caro, 1861-73; Metamora, Ill., 1874-76; Bowensburg, 1876-80; Freeport, Mich., and Fredonia, 1880-82. He returned to Caro and lived there after he had retired from active service. Died at Caro, April 14, 1898. [Source: Necrology Oberlin College For The Year 1897-8. Transcribed by: Helen Coughlin]
Oreille E. Burgner McKee
OREILLE ELIZABETH BURGNER McKee, born Flat Rock, O., April 22, 1862. Entered the Freshman class in 1878 and graduated from college in 1883. From 1883-85 she was a teacher in Chicago; 1885-87 in the public schools of Oberlin. Jan. 31, 1888 she married Stuart M. McKee, and resided first in Dakota and later in Michigan. She died at her home in Portland, Mich., July 29, 1897. [Class of 1883][Source: Necrology Oberlin College For The Year 1897-8. Transcribed by: Helen Coughlin]
A gentleman who has been prominently identified with both practical and theoretical farming in Neosho county for nearly a score of years is Henry Montague of this article. He is one of the worthy successors of the pioneers of the county and came to it April 1, 1883, from Lorain county, Ohio, where he was born September 10, 1840. His father, also Henry Montague, settled in that county in 1836 and was an emigrant from County Fermanaugh, Ireland, where, near the town of Iniskillin, he was born March 8, 1813. He sailed from his native land in 1826 with his parents, Michael and Elizabeth (Crooks) Montague, and stopped first in New York state. They came on west in ten years and settled in Lorain county, Ohio, where the family engaged in clearing up a new-farm and in improving a home. The grandparents had four children of which number our subject's father was the oldest. The only survivor is F. M., of Dane county, Wisconsin. Henry Montague, Sr., married Eunice Porter, a daughter of Lyman Porter, who came to Ohio from Massachusetts where his daughter Eunice was born. He was a grandson of Asa Porter, one of the patriot soldiers of the American Revolution, who enlisted from the Old Bay state. Eunice Montague was born in 1821 and died in 1865, while her husband survived her till April 26, 1883. They were the parents of Henry, of this review; Elizabeth, deceased wife of E. E. Cook, of Lorain county, Ohio; Margaret, of Chicago, Illinois, wife of M. D. Mason; Mary E., of Ohio, wife of C. I. Mead; Ellen, of Chicago, is the wife of James Stokes; Harriet, deceased wife of Smith Crowell; Wealthy, of Cleveland, Ohio, is married to James Dickson; Albert, on the old homestead in Ohio, and Eunice, of Cleveland, Ohio, who is married to Levi Baker. Henry Montague, of this notice, passed his boyhood in the country amid the wooded scenery of that early time. The primitive rural school house housed him while he acquired his education and the clearing and cultivation of the farm furnished the exercise for his muscular development. When the war came on he enlisted in the three months' service but failed to get into the field. He offered his services again, however, and was enrolled in Company D, Twenty-third Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and had the rare and unusual distinction of serving with two presidents of the United States, R. B. Hayes, who was a major and William McKinley, who was quarter-master-sergeant. The Twenty-third Ohio served in West Virginia till August, 1862, when it was ordered to Washington and joined the forces sent against the Confederates in Maryland. Subsequently Mr. Montague went with his command back into West Virginia and toward the close of his service he was on the raid about Staunton, the "Old Star State." The battles our subject participated in were Carnifex Ferry, South Mountain, Antietam and Cloyed Mountain - chief of the list. He was discharged from the service July 6, 1864, having served as a private and done his full duty in defense of the flag. Returning to civil pursuits Mr. Montague took up farming and continued it in Ohio till his engagement with the West & Wilson Sewing Machine company in their factory at Elyria, where he remained three years. When he came to Kansas he purchased two hundred and forty acres of land northwest of Chanute which he cultivated in person till 1899 when he removed to the city and left the work of the farm to his sons. His interest in crops, their conditions and prospects, is yet lively and through his agency the state secretary of agriculture receives reports, when requested, pertaining to the conditions of agriculture and horticulture in his community. He has always taken a lively interest in dairying and was one of the promoters of a co-operative creamery at Chanute which has grown to be one of the best in the state, doing a business of $40,000 annually. The creamery was opened for business May 4, 1896, and has been in continued operation since. The subject of this sketch was elected president of the board of directors at the organization of the company and has been elected president of the board up to the present time. Mr. Montague married Betsy Roach, a daughter of John Roach, who came to the United States from England in 1857. The wedding occurred October 1, 1865, when Mrs. Montague was twenty-three years old. The issue of this union are Edward H., who married Laura Cox and resides on the farm; Fred W., of the firm of Henninger & Montague, implement and buggy dealers in Chanute; George F., a farmer, is married to May Tippie; Mary A., and Morris. The early Montagues were Democrats in politics and our subject was identified with that party till the forces of reform in Kansas organized as a party when he joined them and went into the Populist party. [Source: History of Neosho and Wilson Counties, Kansas, Pub. by L. Wallace Duncan, Fort Scott, Kansas, Monitor Printing Co., 1902; tr. by VB]
Charlotte Cheney Morrison
CHARLOTTE CHENEY MORRISON, born Cleveland, O., about 1855. Entered the literary course in 1868; graduated in 1873. Her residence was in Cleveland until her death, Feb. 12, 1898. [Class of 1873] [Source: Necrology Oberlin College For The Year 1897-8. Transcribed by: Helen Coughlin]
CORNELIUS POWERS, [Class of 1851] born Plainfield, Vt., Dec. 26, 1817. In 1838 came to Milan, O., working there at the shoemaker’s trade. Next he went to Cook Corners, O., and bought a farm, but after five years determined to have an education and came to Oberlin, 1847, entered the freshman class. He paid his way while in college by working at his trade and teaching; graduated in 1851, and was soon married to Minerva Crosby, of Oberlin. He taught for six months at Hartford, O., but determined to preach and came back to the seminary. After about a year and a half his health failed and he was compelled to give up study. 1853, purchased a farm in Franklin where he lived for eighteen years; 1873, returned to Oberlin and lived on a farm east of town until his death, Aug. 5, 1897. [Source: Necrology Oberlin College For The Year 1897-8., Transcribed by: Helen Coughlin]
W. D. RINGLAND, Editor and Publisher Woodstock New Era; Woodstock; born in Amherst, Loraine Co., Ohio, June 19, 1839; came to McHenry Co. 1865; value of property $5,000 ; was a merchant at Algonquin seven years. Married Amanda Matthews, of Geauga Co., Ohio, in October, 1866 ; has four children. [Source: "1877 McHenry County, Illinois Directory" - KT - Sub by FoFG]
LOUISE WALTERS, born in Groestingen, Germany, Jan. 26, 1843. At an early age she was left an orphan in New York city, and was enabled by the assistance of Henry Ward Beecher’s church to take her course in Oberlin College, where she graduated from the literary course in 1872. She taught for several years in New York, Cleveland, and Minneapolis and in 1891 began a course of study at Leland Stanford Junior University, but was compelled to give it up on account of her failing health. Died in New York city, Dec. 13, 1897. [Class of 1872] Source: Necrology Oberlin College For The Year 1897-8. Transcribed by: Helen Coughlin
John S. Wheat
John S. WHEAT, Druggist; Woodstock; born in Grafton, Grafton Co., N. H., March 9, 1822; came to McHenry Co. (IL) in 1852, and was engaged eighteen years in the construction of the C. & N. W. Ry., and as Road Master of same; was President of Board of Trustees, and afterward first Mayor of Woodstock, under township organizations, in 1873; also member of Board of Education four years. Married Amanda M. Church January 3, 1865; she was born in Wellington, Lorain Co., O., August 17, 1837; has three children; John K. born August 5, 1856; Mabel H. born October 18, 1861, and Allie M. born January 15, 1870.
Living in McHenry County, IL in 1877. [Source: "1877 McHenry County, Illinois Directory" - KT - Sub by FoFG]
Lewis E. Wilson
LEWIS E. WILSON, was born December 17, 1843, in Loraine County, Ohio, while his father, William, was a native of England. His mother, whose maiden name was Elvira Clisbe, was born in Cleveland, Ohio. The youthful days of Lewis were passed on a farm in his native county, he receiving the benefits of a common school education. In 1869, he emigrated west, and settled in Fremont County, Ohio, where for three years he was engaged in farming. In the spring of 1872, he came to Atchison County, Missouri, locating in Dale Township, where, on section 4, township 64, range 39, he now owns a farm of 250 acres, mostly in cultivation. His orchard is young and thrifty. August 23, 1873, occurred the marriage of Mr. Wilson to Miss May Carney, a daughter of Thomas and Phebe Carney. She was born in Shelby County, Indiana, August 23, 1853. They have had four children: Burton E., born June 2, 1874; Everett E., born May 22, 1875; Guy W., born May 19, 1877, and Roy, born December 24, 1880. Mrs. Wilson is a member of the Methodist Church. Mr. W. makes a specialty of handling and feeding stock, in which he is quite successful. [St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
Effie M. Wood
EFFIE MAY WOOD, born Carlisle, O., April 18, 1858. Entered the preparatory department in 1873 and graduated from the literary course in 1878. Although always in feeble health, she took an active part in church and Sunday school work. She resided in or near Oberlin from her graduation until her death, which occurred Sept. 6, 1897.[Class of 1878] [Source: Necrology Oberlin College For The Year 1897-8. Transcribed by: Helen Coughlin]
James R. Wright
JAMES RICHARDS WRIGHT, born at Tallmadge, O., June 27, 1814. Entered Oberlin College in 1835; graduated from the classical course in 1838, and from the seminary in 1841. Married July 31, 1844, to Sarah Holmes Vincent; ordained at Sheffield, O., 1848, and preached there 1845-58, 1867-69; Ridgeville, 1855-62, and also at Napoleon, 1855-59; at Lena and Wauseon, 1859-62. Then he went to Benzonia, Mich., where he preached until 1867. He then removed to Santa Clara Co., Cal. Here he kept a summer resort for tourists until 1887, and for many years was in the fruit business assisted by his eldest son. He continued to be active in S. S. work, and preached occasionally until a short time before his death, Sept. 2, 1897. He was the father of ten children, of whom three sons died in young manhood.
[Source: Necrology Oberlin College For The Year 1897-8. Transcribed by: Helen Coughlin]
Copyright © Genealogy Trails