Lorain County, Ohio
Crandall Family Cemetery
©Compiled by Shauna Williams for Genealogy Trails
Cemetery moved in April 1959 for a highway project.
Burials moved to Kendeigh Corners Cemetery
Old Cemetery Being Relocated; Road Project Forces Move.
Amherst-Modern men and tools dipped into the secrets of another century today as relocation
of tiny Whiskeyville cemetery got underway. One marked grave was uncovered by 11 am, and at least one other, the
unmarked resting place of an infant, was being explored.
Carefully as one sifts gold, workers extracted bits of bone from the sandy earth.
Relocation is being handled by the Garland Funeral Home, Park Ave. Workers of the Salo
tree service, Oberlin, cleared the way to other graves by removing roots, tree stumps and leaves.
The graveyard, which dates back to the late 1700's, is being moved to make ay for improvements
to Rt. 58. Remains carried in clear plastic sacks, will be taken to Kendeigh Corners cemetery at Quarry and Middle
Woman's Remains Raised
Raised this morning were the remains of Mrs. Rhoda Crandal, wife of Ezekial. Remaining
were bits of arm and leg bones, parts of the skull, and the jawbone, which was intact.
Parts of a rough box, in which the body had been placed, were also unearthed. The body
had been there since 1855.
According to a headstone, Mrs. Crandal was 37.
Nothing remained of the infant. All that was found in the grave, which bordered the Crandal
grave, were parts of the rough box and its handles.
Two handles, only one of which was still intact, were uncovered. They were adorned with
carvings of a lamb. no date was available.
The cemetery at one time belonged to Lyman Crandal, one of eight known buried there. It
was turned over to the township, however, about 50 years ago. The township officially abandoned the 30x40 foot
plot last month. Although there are eight known graves, Whiskeyville natives, and others in the township, feel
that as many as 20 or 30 may be uncovered.
The state highway department has allowed 17 days for relocation. Wayne Garland, owner
of the funeral home, said however, he hopes to complete the jobs this week.
The Chronicle Telegram, Elyria Ohio April 6, 1959
Recommittal for 18 Long Dead
Simple service at the Kendeigh Corners Cemetery, Middle Ridge & Quarry Rds. yesterday,
as the remains of 18 persons, moved from the doomed Whiskeyville Cemetery, were buried there. The Rev. F.E. Eastman,
pastor emeritus of the Amherst Congregational Church, is reading Thomas Gray's "Elegy" Names of only
eight of the 18 persons are known. About 20 persons, some of them descendants of the few who were identified, were
at the recommittal service. The 18 coffins were place in a 72 foot long grave at Kendeigh Corners. The Garland
Funeral Home of Amherst was in charge. The Whiskeyville Cemetery which dates back to the latter part of the 18th
century, will be wiped out by an improvement program for Rt. 58.
The Chronicle Telegram, Elyria Ohio April 16, 1959
Burials below are from newspaper reports. Please used only as a guide.