Lucas County Ohio
Genealogy Trails History Group

Genealogy and History

Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy


Crime News

We'll try and sort these in alpha order by the surname of the criminal or victim, whichever comes first in the story. Use your browser's "FIND" function to search for surnames (CTRL + F)

Andrew J. Bauder
, who was convicted last week at Toledo of manslaughter, (for killing his wife) has been sentenced to the penitentiary for ten years. Judges and juries seem entirely to have freed themselves from the "emotional insanity" doctrine, hence Bauder goes the way of Galentine. [Defiance Democrat, Feb 18, 1871 - Sub by L. Dietz]

Toledo, O., Jan 2- As the result of a fight at a dance at North Baltimore, George
Chapman is dying with a bullet in his abdomen and Ernest Hunt is in jail charged with the shooting. Hunt had charge of the dance and when he announced the festivities at an end Chapman and others attempted to continue to dance. A fight followed and Chapman had Hunt down on the floor, when somebody handed the latter a revolver and he shot Chapman. Hunt is married and resides at North Baltimore. Chapman works on a farm near the village. [Mansfield News, Jan 2, 1908 - Sub by L. Dietz]

Toledo, O., July 31: The board of inquiry has freed Okey Harless, of the Eighth regiment, Akron, of blame for the death of Charles Hornoff, a Wadsworth member of the Eighth, who was killed at Camp Perry yesterday by a stray bullet from Harless' rifle. [Lima Morning News, Aug 1, 1909 - Sub by L. Dietz]

Toledo, O., Oct 27 - A terrible family tragedy is reported from near Iron River. Andrew Israelson and wife had been having frequent quarrels in which the woman's father, Andrew Lindstrom, took a part. Israelson got into a quarrel with Lindstrom's family this morning and finally he shot his wife's young sister, Mrs. Lindstrom and Mr. Lindstrom. His wife started to run away and he shot her through the head. Then he set fire to the house and threw his mother-in-law's body into the flames. He then went to where his wife's body lay and killed himself. [Ft. Worth Morning Register, Oct 28, 1901]

Toledo, O., Mar 7- While acting the part of peacemaker Gus
Kromidas, a Greek, was probably fatally stabbed this afternoon. Charles Skelley is held for the deed. [Lima Daily News, Mar 7, 1906 - Sub by L. Dietz]

Professional Poisoners Dr. Meyer and His Wife Murdered Men for Insurance Money

"Murder most foul, strange and unnatural," said the ghost of hamlet's father when speaking of his own death by poison. Truly this is the vilest form of murder, but life insurance men say it is increasing. The latest case is almost to horrible for that belief, and yet it seems to be proved that Dr. Henry C. F. Meyer and his wife Mary, recently arrested in Detroit and taden (sic taken) to New York, made murder by poisoning there business, and the list of their victims include two of his former wives, her alleged husband, and innocent servant girl and no one knows how many others. The last case and the one most conclusively proved, was the poisoning in New York of their confederate, Ludwig Brandt.
But Dr. Meyer's story is best told in the order of time. He is a German and he located in Chicago about 1876, graduating in medicine a year or two later. He was married and his wife died very suddenly. Soon after he married a Mrs. Gelderman, whose husband a well to do grocer, had also died suddenly. The newly married pair were arrested, but as no poison was found in the bodies of the dead they could not be held.
At least one detective, however, believed that Dr. Meyer had invented a new and subtle poison and for a long time kept acquainted with the doctor's doings. He secured employment as the agent for a life insurance company and was arrested for forging a policy for $2,500 , but the matter was compromised and the prosecution dropped. In the fall of 1882 a newspaper man who had known Mrs. Gilderman -Meyer during the life of her first husband, saw her on Clarke street so sick that she could barely stand. He assisted her home, and on the way she intimated to him her life was in danger. Next day her child, a little daughter of Gilderman was found dead -"drowned in the bathtub" Dr. Meyer said.
Mrs. Gelderman-Meyer openly declared that the doctor had drowned the child, as it was the heir of its father, and Meyer had charge of some of the property, but none of it could be proved. That Mrs. Meyer, escaped, however, for the Doctor ran away with another woman. The next case of note, was in Toledo where Dr .Meyer tried to collect, $5,000 insurance on the life of another woman who had died suddenly. An inquiry was set on foot, and he and his supposed wife fled from the city, taking a buggy as for an evening ride and never returning. The report of that case brought another detective to the scene, who declared that the dead woman was not Dr. Meyer's sister, as he had alleged, but a poor and unknown girl whom he had picked up in Indianapolis. While in Toledo, he hired one Mary Neiss as a domestic and persuaded her to represent "Mrs. Weiler" (that was the name he assumed in Toledo) and take out an insurance of $5,000 in the Equitable. It now appears that while in another city this girl was taken ill suddenly, became suspicious, refused all medicine from the Dr. and his wife and left them as soon as she was able. And this is but a small part of which is charged against him, for detectives from other places have been on his track. It was in January, 1892, that the Meyer gang, for now they had with them two confederates, appeared in New York and rented apartments in the flats at 316-326 East Thirteenth Street. Of the confederates the one known as Wimmer has disappeared. The other Ludwig Brandt, a swindler in his native Germany and had once been in prison in America. The game, as he understood it, was for him to get heavily insured, then to be taken sick, and in due time a corpse was to be procured and placed in the bed he had occupied, and all the rest would be easy. But the Meyers had other views. He was their victim, He and Mrs. Meyer were known as Mr. and Mrs. Gustave H. M Joseph Baum and Dr. Meyer as her uncle. Baum or Brandt took sick and was treated by Dr. S. B. Minden for dysentery. He had unbounded confidence in his confederates and was not all alarmed when Dr. Minden told him his condition was dangerous. It was indeed. He sank rapidly and died in a stupor. Subsequent examination has proved poisoning by antimony. Two companies in which the victim was insured paid at once but, the Mutual Life started an investigation. Again the poisoners escaped, and for a year and a half the hunt continued before they were run down. When captured in Detroit, they were almost in starving condition, though it is alleged that they left New York with at leas $20,000. They had one child and soon after her arrest, the woman again became a mother. She is quite handsome and does not look to be over 25 years old.
[The Idaho Avalanche, (Silver City, ID) Saturday, January 06, 1894; Issue 20; col D - JR - Sub by FoFG]

The city chemist reported that he had discovered a large quantity of arsenic in the mutton soup which caused the illness of Arthur Miller, his wife and five children several weeks ago. The police claim that it was an attempt to murder the family and are investigating. ["Newark Advocate", Jul 2, 1901 - Sub by L. Dietz]

The dead body of
George Rieger, a laborer, unmarried, was found on a pile of boards on Sugar avenue. It was thought at first that death was due to heat, but later it was learned that there was a fight on the commons in that neighborhood and that two men were seen to carry a body from the commons and place it on the pile of boards. [Sandusky Daily Star, July 11, 1902 - Sub by L. Dietz]

Edward Robertson
, son of Mrs. Martha A. Robertson, formerly of this city, was murdered at Toledo, on the night of the 31st of October last. The body was not found until some time in December last. When found it was in the water, and both legs were broken. The last seen of young Robertson he was with a lot of his young companions going out on the lake upon a fishing excursion. His companions state that they were driven ashore by a storm, and that in the storm Robertson was drowned. The injuries to the body as above stated rather belie this. Robertson was at the time of his death about twenty-five years of age. He left here about four years ago. At the time of his death he was a mail agent on the fast line between Toledo and Buffalo, holding that position under Postmaster General Jewell, of whom he was a relative. [Gallipolis Journal, (Gallipolis, Oh.) Thursday, March 30, 1876 - Sub. by Kathy McDaniel]

Wins Freedom But Is Held Again
SAN FRANCISCO - George Rogers, Toledo post office robber, was released from Alcatraz federal penitentiary on a habeas corpus writ yesterday, but city police took him in custody immediately to serve a life term for murder.
Rogers, 48, was serving 67 years for complicity in a $2,000,000 post office robbery in Toledo.  Federal Judge Harold Louderback granted him freedom on his contention he should have been sentenced to 27 years, not 67.  He already has served 16.
Police inspectors recalled that Rogers, also known as Lefty Lewis, made a sensational escape from the county jail here in 1920, lowering himself five stories down the outside of the building on a rope improvised from bed-clothing.  Rogers, at the time, was under sentence to life for the murder of a San Francisco bartender in 1918.
Rogers was the sixth man to win freedom from Alcatraz on a habeas corpus writ.  [St. Petersburg Times (St. Petersburg, FL) ; Friday, July 18, 1941]

W. G. Spaulding, cashier of the German-American bank at Port Clinton, O., and Mrs. Martha Jamieson, of Toledo, have been arrested for killing Miss Amy Meeker by performing a criminal operation. [Adams County News (Ritzville, WA) Dec. 28, 1898, page 1]


Copyright © Genealogy Trails