Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led with Genealogy Trails History Group

Ohio Genealogy Trails

Mahoning County Ohio

line
THE BOARDMAN CEMETERY
line

Boardman Township, Mahoning Co. Ohio

Burial Records of Caretaker George Brainard, 1814-1845,  with a few additions for the years 1856-1860
By Margaret Simon, Mah. & Truro. Co. Chapters OGS

Transcribed for Genealogy Trails by K.T.


Introduction by Margaret Simon, 1974:

This small cemetery in the southeast corner of the Western Reserve, just south of Youngstown, Ohio, lies one-half mile east of the center of Boardman Township on U.S. Route 224. Tucked away behind the houses on the north side of this road, which runs between Boardman and Poland, it is still in limited use. (as/of c. 1974) 

The first settlers came to Boardman Township in 1799. Those who settled near the center were largely Connecticut people, and this cemetery was the "English" burying ground. The Pennsylvania Germans from Washington Co. Pa., who settled the north­ east corner of the township,had their own cemetery -- the German Lutheran and Reformed Churchyard, now part of Lake Park Cemetery. But the Boardman Cemetery was a community burial ground with no particular religious affiliation. Among the early burials were members of St. James Episcopal Church (f.1809), the Congregational Church (f.1813) and the Methodist Church (f. c1830).  

The cemetery is said to have been laid out in 1805, and the first burial made then or in 1806, but the earliest extant stone is dated 1814. A little history of the cometery ("The Boardman Cemetery" from 1805 to 1920 by Dr. H.S. Thorne) also quotes the 1805 date and says that the earliest stone extant at that time (1920) was a crude field stone on the Henry Foster lot, marked "E x FO/1809." The next oldest were for Mrs. Beach Sommers and Major R. Elliott who died in 1814. A comparison with the Brainard burial record shows Eve Foster as the first name on the list, and Mrs. Sumner and Major R. Elliott as the seventh and ninth names. The implications are that the earliest use of this cemetery was somewhat later than the date usually quoted--probably about 1809.  

Those who died in the earlier years of settlement may have been buried in the Poland Village Cemetery, two miles east, and the Canfield Village Cemetery, five miles west. This is likely, since the Poland, Boardman and Canfield Episcopalians shared one church until 1834, and the ties were close between the Congregationalists in those townships. Very early burials were made on the Adam Simon farm, beginning on March 21, 1801, but extant stones were later moved to the German cemetery across the road. If any "Yankee" burials were made here, the stones no longer remain.  

[we're paraphrasing the rest of Ms. Simon's 2 page introduction]...

George Brainard recorded burials during the period 1814-1843.  He took charge of the burying ground on April 4, 1814 and began his record with a list of names, marked with the number of burials, but no dates.  For these undated burials at the beginning of the records, only one stone is extant (again, this is in c. 1974):  Major Elliott, who died Feb 12, 1914, two months before the record was begun. Of the 167 burials recorded by Mr. Brainard from 1814-1845, there are stones in the cemetery now (c. 1974) for only 54, of which 14 are replacement stones or inscriptions added to the stones of other family members.
 


The map which accompanies these records bears the following specifications:
"The design of the above plan is to divide the Burying-ground into Divisions Lots and allies, each Division to be 36 feet in width north and south and extend across sd ground east and west.  each Lot to be 10 feet in width east and west and extend across a division north and south, allies between the Divisions to be 8 feet in width."

The plan shows five rows of 18 lots each, but there are a number of unowned lots including the entire fifth Division.  Although most of the names appear to be in George Brainard's handwriting, there are a few in other hands.  Note that in all but a few instances, these are the names of lot OWNERS, who are not necessarily buried in this cemetery.  A few lots have more than one name.


LOT OWNERS

1st Div.
 (hole in map)

Peter Stilson
Harmon Stilson
George Stilson
Henery Foster
Ritched J. Ellet
Isaac Blackman
John Davidson
Joseph Merchent
John Lidel
Joseph Lidel
Sally Root
Danl Class
Lucretia Fairchild
Amos Baldwin
Abidia Ransom
J.A. Cowel
--- Davidson?
Wm. Detchon
Henry & Wm. Fankell
Reuben D. Phillips

2nd Div
H. Branard Junr
Elezer C. Farchild
Jedidiah Fitch
Beal Evitts
Samuel Swann
David Nobel
James --- (erased)
Nathanel Blakly
Geo. Branard
Linus Branard
Eli Baldwin
David Fitch
Ezra French
Joseph E. Bishop

3rd Div.
--- (Fankell? - erased)
Homer Branard
Oliver Stanford (crossed out)
C. Kintner
Josiah Beardsley
John Northrop
Isaac Newton
 (hole in map)
E. Dean
Zadock Sherman
Peter Sprinkle

4th Div.
Silas Fankle
Daavid Fitch
Samuel Titus
Sam C. Clark
Wm. A. Vetter
Sherman Kinney
O. Titus
S.E. Titus





BACK --
HOME



Copyright © Genealogy Trails