Mahoning County
Ohio Genealogy and History
Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led with Genealogy Trails History Group
History of Canfield



The First Burial, Male Birth, Log House, Frame House, Mail Route and Marriage in Canfield
[Source: History of Trumbull and Mahoning counties (1882), Vol 1 - Pages 16-17]

First Events
The first burial in the township took place July 21, 1798. A little child, the daughter of Champion Minor, was buried in lot forty-four, second division, about three-fourths of a mile east of the center. Two rude stones mark the head and foot of the grave. The first person buried in the cemetery east of the center was Olive, the wife of Charles Chittenden. She died September 30, 1801.

The first male child born in the township was Royal Canfield Chidister, born June 22, 1802, about three rods east of the center of the township.

The first log-house built in the township was on the southeast corner of lot fifty-one in the second division. The first clearing was made on lot fifty-two, second division.

The first frame house in the township was built in 1802-3 by Elijah Wadsworth. It was two-story, 30 x 40 feet.

The first marriage ceremony ever solemnized in this township was that of Joseph Pangburn and Lydia Fitch. They were married April 11, 1801, by Caleb Baldwin, Esq., of Youngstown.

February 11, 1800, Alfred Woolcott, surveyor, led to the hymenial altar Mercy Gilson, daughter of Eleazer Gilson, of this township. For want of some person qualified by law to solemnize the ceremony, they were obliged to go to Pennsylvania to be married.

In 1801 the first mail route to the Reserve was established through the influence of Elijah Wadsworth, who was then appointed postmaster at Canfield. He was again postmaster in 1813.

[Source: History of Trumbull and Mahoning counties (1882), Vol 1 - Pages 16-17]


Copyright © Genealogy Trails