This township lying between Smith and Green, on the lowest tier of townships of the county, possesses an undulating surface, and fertile soil, with good grazing lands. It is watered chiefly by the middle fork of Beaver Creek, which flows through its eastern portion, and by a branch of the Mahoning river, which flows in a northerly course through the western portion, besides, some smaller creeks and tributaries.
The first settler of whom there is any record was Anthony Morris, who located in section thirty-one in 1804. He married Hannah French, of which union there was a daughter, Sarah, who became the wife of James Bruff, who took up his abode in the township in 1822. Anthony Morris was overseer of the poor in 1812. Other Frenches settled in the same neighborhood, among them Barzilla, on section thirty-one, Thomas, who located in Damascus in 1805, and who was followed by his brother Elijah. Jonas Cattel settled at an early date in Salem, and one of his daughters became the wife of Thomas French. Cattel rented a part of his farm to David Venable, who came to Goshen in 1805. The following year came Issac and Thomas Votaw from Winchester, Va. Isaac was trustee of the township from 1812 to 1818. Thomas Votaw, who settled on section six, was supervisor and trustee. Another early settler and township official was Robert Armstrong, some of whose descendants still reside in the township. In 1806 came Stacy Shreeve and wife from New Jersey and settled in section 19, as did also Shreeve's brother-in-law, Joseph Kindele. In the same year came James Brooke and Isaac Ellison, the former settling in section 7. Ellison married a daughter of James Cattell, while a daughter of Mr. Brooke married Dr. James Hughes.
In 1808 came Aaron Stratton, who built a grist mill on Beaver Creek; also Henry Hinchman from New Jersey, who had a family of seven or more children. Benjamin and Hannah Butler, with seven children, came from near Philadelphia, arriving in Salem in the spring of 1811, where they remained for a year on the farm of Robert French, afterwards removing to Goshen. Mr. Butler ultimately settled on one hundred and sixty acres in section 18, where he remained until his death in 1828. His son, John, married Priscilla Fawcett, who died in 1830, and four years later he married a second wife. He was a member of the Society of Friends. William Fawcett came from Virginia with his wife in 1811 and settled on section thirty-two. Peter Gloss bought land in section twelve, about the year 1820, and built a factory where he manufactured wooden bowls. Other early settlers were Samuel and Thomas Langstaff, 1812; Joseph Wright, from New Jersey, 1810; Benjamin Malmes-bury and family 1812; Basil Perry and wife, from Maryland, 1811; Adam Fast, 1816, who settled in section 1; Jacob Lehman, who married Mr. Fast's daughter; Drade Husk, who settled in section 2, and William Bradshaw, 1832, who settled in section 9.
The township of Goshen was incorporated September 11, 1810. In December Thomas Watson was chosen to the office of constable. At a meeting in April, 1812, a committee consisting of Isaac Votaw, Michael Stratton, Thomas Conn, Thomas French, and Joel Sharp, was appointed to "view the southeast quarter of section 16 and to conclude on a suitable piece of ground to set a house for to hold elections in." At the same meeting township officers were chosen as follows: Joseph Wright, clerk; Michael Stratton, Isaac Votaw, Levi Jennings, trustees; Anthony Morris and Isaac Barber, overseers of the poor; Thomas French, Josiah Stratton, appraisers of property; Robert Armstrong, Asa Ware, fence viewers; Bazilla French, Stacy Shreeve, Thomas Votaw, Thomas Conn, Abram Warrington, supervisors; George Baum, treasurer; Joseph Kindle, constable.
The village of Damascus was platted and laid out by Horton Howard in 1808. It was made a post office in 1828, with James B. Bruff as first postmaster.
It is a pleasant country village with good stores, and is the seat of Damascus Academy, further mention of which will be found in this article. E. E. Walker is the present postmaster.
Patmos was settled by John Templin, William Ware, Benj. Regie and Levi A. Leyman. It was named after the old-fashioned hymn. tune of that name. Mr. Leyman was the first postmaster, being appointed in 1850, and holding the office twelve years.
Garfield, first Garfield station, was established as a post office in 1875, with S. A. Fogg,. postmaster.
The inhabitants of Goshen township are largely engaged in farming and dairying,. and kindred occupations. There are a number of large and flourishing creameries and cheese factories..
All the villages are well supplied with stores of various kinds suited to the needs of: an agricultural community.
The township now has eight schools, the enumeration of scholars (taken May, 1906), being 271. There are two special districts Garfield special district and joint sub-district, which is composed of territory in Butler, Knox and Smith townships.
Damascus Academy was founded in 1857. In 1885 it was regularly chartered under the laws of Ohio by the Friends' Church. It has since remained under the same control. While the school has not the financial aid that would be desirable, yet the endowment fund gives much material support, and gives the school a guarantee of permanency. In addition to this, an effort is now being made to place the Academy on even a firmer financial basis. But the spirit of education shown by those who have charge of its management, is in itself sufficient guarantee of the school's welfare.
The Academy is located at the east end of the village of Damascus, which is on the line between Columbiana and Mahoning counties, about five miles west of Salem, and with the Stark Electric Railroad running through it. The surrounding country is rolling and picturesque.
The Academy Building is a large frame structure, well lighted and arranged. It contains five large rooms three on the second floor and two on the first floor besides basement and hallways. The Library contains several hundred volumes of well selected books, of kinds best suited for aiding the student in his researches, new books being added from time to time as circumstances permit. The Laboratory is well arranged and fitted with apparatus and material for successful work in chemistry .and physics. The cabinet contains a good collection of rocks and minerals, also some relics, which have been obtained from different parts of the country. The rocks and minerals are classified so that the student can find in them much valuable aid. The literary work of the academy is carried on under the auspices of The Delphian Literary Society. It is required that each student. take an active part in such work, as it is one of the most potent sources of strength. It is the aim of those who control the Academy to make it an institution for the inculcation of Christian virtues and the development of a Christian spirit. Helpful chapel exercises, conducted. by the faculty, are held each morning in Literary Hall. These exercises are of a devotional character. Visitors and friends of the Academy are often present to assist in these convocations.
The earliest schools in Goshen township were established by the Friends, who formed a majority of the population. These schools were small and scattered, some of them being. known as family schools. Samuel Votaw, son of Isaac Votaw, taught in the first log school house built in the township, which was opened in the winter of 1812. Soon after another school was opened and. taught by Daniel Stratton. Among the early teachers at the school first opened were Martha Townsend, William Green, William Titus,. Joshua Crew, Benjamin Marshall, John Butler, Isaac Trescott, Solomon Shreeve, Jesse Lloyd and Stephen Roberts. At the first school built at Damascus the early teachers were Joshua Lynch, James Bruft, John P. Gruel, Jacob Hole, Simeon Fawcett, Lydia M. Stanley.
Elizabeth Blackburn taught at the Votaw settlement, and James Hemingway in the Benjamin Malmesbury neighborhood. About 1825 a log school house was built in district No. 1, of which Andrew Templin was the first. teacher. The Garfield Special District High School. was erected in 1875 at a cost of $2,740. It. is a two-room brick building, and was at first a sub-district of Goshen township, becoming a special district by act of legislature March 1, 1893. In 1890 it suffered severe damage from a storm, which necessitated extensive repairs. The present principal is Prof. Frank H. Close. A two years' course of study is provided.
The Friends, or Quakers, established the first church in Goshen township, and worshipped in it until it was destroyed by fire in 1842. They built a brick church in 1852. The Methodists organized a class as early as 1820, and in 1867 they built the Methodist church on section eight. The principal founders of this church were John Templin, Joseph King, Newton French, Joseph Keeler, William Cas-saday, William Stratton and N. K. Gunder. The first pastor was Rev. McCartney. On October 1, 1903, Rev. John W. Eicher assumed the pastorate. The present membership of the church is about 200. The Sunday school superintendent is A. B. Williamson. The pastors since 1880 have been as follows: J. R. Roller, 1879-82; Rev. Clark, 1882-83; John Hunter, 1883-85; T. J. Ream, 1885-86; W. H. Dickerson, 1886-88; A. W. Newlin, 1888-90; J. J. Billingsley, 1890-91; W. D. Stevens, 1891-93; F. I. Swaney, 1893-96; M. C. Grimes, 1896-99; T. W. Anderson, 1899-03; John W. Eicher, 1903. The Goshen M. E. church, sometimes known as "The Bunker Hill M. E. church," stands among the first missionary churches, for gifts to foreign missions, in the entire East Ohio Conference. Other churches in Goshen are, the Friends' church, pastor, O. L. Tomlinson; the Friends' Branch church, at Garfield, which has no regular pastor, the present officiant in that, capacity being G. B. Malmsberry.