Mahoning County Ohio
Green township has a generally undulating surface, with soil well adapted to the cultivation of trees, small fruits and grain. The most common native trees are the chestnut, oak and beech.
Most of the early settlers of Green township were German, as is evident by such names as Knauff, Bauman, Kenreich, Houtts, Stahl, and Zimmerman, which we find in glancing over the records. Eben Newton, of Canfield, became the purchaser of section 1, on which account it was afterwards known as the "Newton tract." Henry Beard and family, Germans, were the first settlers in section 4, and his descendants remain in the vicinity to this day. Section 5 was bought by James Webb and John Beard. Henry Pyle and wife, who came from Germany about 1804, settled in section 2. Some of the other sections passed rapidly through various hands. Coal was found and was formerly worked to some extent in sections 17, 19 and 20. Section 16 was the "school lot" and in 1849 was sold to a number of different persons. In section 14, which was entered by a stranger who sold it to Abram Garber, is Greenford station, on the old Niles and New Lisbon Railroad. Philip Houtts, who purchased the west part. of section 12 on which was a spring, carried on a distillery there until about 1830. Elisha Teeter entered section 20 for his four sons John, Jonathan, William arid Wilson in 1808, and in 1822 the first steam mill in this part of the country was erected by Wilson Teeter. The large vein of coal found on this section was opened and operated by this family.
Section 36 was entered by Jacob Roller in 1803. His son, Col. Jacob B. Roller, served under General Harrison, and at Fort Meigs and was state representative for twenty-one years.
Green township was incorporated June 3, 1806, and formed a part of Columbiana County until the organization of Mahoning County in 1846.
Green Village, situated near the center of the township, was first laid out by Lewis Baker, Jacob Wilhelm and Jacob Cook. The post office was established in 1831, William Van Horn being the first postmaster. The present postmaster at Greenford is William I. Hahn.
Washingtonville was laid out about 1832, the first store being opened in the following year by Jacob Stobbes, who became the first postmaster in 1836. The present postmaster is Joseph Thorpe. The post office is situated in Columbiana County, just across the line from Green. Peter Miller was the first blacksmith to open a shop. New Albany was laid out by Wilson Teeter and Edwin Webb, the first post office being established prior to 1853. The first postmaster was Henry Thulen, who was succeeded by Joshua Webb.
SCHOOLS AND CHURCHES.
At an early date after the settlement of the township a log school house, 20x24 feet in size, was built on a piece of ground situated on the east side of section 20, and donated by Elisha Teeter. Edward Bonsai was .the first teacher. Another log school house was built by Henry Pyle on the New Lisbon road in section 10. Samuel McBride and George Pow were the earliest teachers, the former being engaged to teach in 1814. After Mr. Pow's retirement no school was taught there until the district schools were opened in 1827. West of Green Village was a log church, in which the first school was taught near the center. About 1815 Henry Zimmerman taught school in a log school house in section 34, on land belonging to Jacob Stofer. Another log school house was subsequently built on this section, and was taught for a time by William, Rachael and Samuel Schofield. In 1818 a School was opened at Washingtonville in a log church built by Michael and Baltzer Roller.
In 1844 there were twelve schools in the township, with ten teachers, with an average daily attendance of 169 males and 131 females, the branches taught being reading, writing, arithmetic, English grammar and geography. The changes since then have been chiefly in the line of improving general conditions, providing a higher class of text books, with more comfortable school houses and a better system of instruction. There are now twelve teachers employed and the schools are well attended and in a flourishing condition. The Evangelical Lutheran church at Greenford was founded in 1840, the present building being erected in 1884. The first pastor was Rev. John H. Huffman, and the church was started with forty-one members. The pastors since 1876 have been as follows: Rev. J. M. Ruthrauff, 1876-80; Rev. S. P. Kiefer, 1880-82; N. W. Lilly, 1882-85; Rev. T. S. Smedley, 1885-90; Rev. A., B. Kast, 1890-92; Rev. J. B. Burgner, 1893-98; Rev. A. K. Felton, 1900-03; Rev. H. M. Nicholson, eighteen months to 1905; Rev. M. L. Wilhelm, eighteen months to 1907; Rev. P. L. Miller, 1907—. The Sunday school superintendent is R. R. Zimmerman.
Green township is essentially a farming community, but has several small manufacturing industries, including a tile works, of which C. C. Pettit is manager; a planing mill, conducted by M. G. Hoffman; a grist mill, by Fred Mattix; sawmill, V. V. Zimmerman. Coal mining is also carried on to some extent by Bush Brothers.