This is an agricultural township and was named after Andrew Jackson, the hero of New Orleans and our seventh president. The surface of the township is somewhat broken and uneven. Meander Creek drains the eastern portion, while a number of small streams flow into the creek from the westward. Here and there a stretch of woodland affords a pleasing contrast to the wide spreading acres of cultivated land, and contributes to the makeup of a picturesque and varied landscape.
From the historical reminiscences of Mr. D. Anderson and from other sources, we learn that Samuel Calhoun, who died in 1873, was the "first actual settler in this township. Samuel Riddle, John Morrison and William Orr were others who settled very early, and Andrew Gault was the first white child born in the township. The township was organized about the year 1815, and was then called West Austintown, afterwards Jackson.
In the year 1803 there were just six taxpayers in the township Samuel Calhoun, Andrew Gault, William Orr, James Stamford, Samuel Riddle and Joseph Mclnrue, the total taxes being $3.07. The first marriage was probably that of John Ewing and Margaret Orr, in 1805, the ceremony being performed by 'Squire Chidester, of Canfield.
The first death was that of Mary, daughter of William and Mary Orr, which took place February 18, 1805, when she was in her fourteenth year.
There was but little interest taken in education in early days in Jackson. The first log school house was a very rude, ramshackle sort of structure, with a roof of loose boards, weighted down, and a floor or split timber. It was in the southeastern part of the township, on the side of a steep bank. John Fullerton and a man named Ferguson were, it is thought, the first teachers. In the same neighborhood, on a hill northeast of the Covenanter church, a second log school house was afterwards erected. The name of Matilda Taylor has been preserved as that of the first teacher of summer school in this part of the township. Mr. Fullerton, above mentioned, seems to have been a practical joker, as there is a story to the effect that he once assisted some of the larger boys of the school in placing a wagon on the roof of the school house, gravely informing the owner, who came to him with a wrathful complaint of the misconduct of his pupils, that he would do his best to ascertain the authors of the outrage and punish them as they deserved. Other school houses were afterwards built in different parts of the township, all the early ones being constructed of logs, these later giving way to frame buildings. About 1840 the settlers began to take more interest in education. Up to this time English had been taught in the school a part of the time and German the remainder. But about this time English alone was substituted by Samuel Jones, who had been elected school director and who having made a canvass among the settlers, had discovered that nearly all of them were in favor of the change. The township was now divided into eight school districts, with a fractional district in the southwest corner. Competent teachers were engaged, and a good attendance of scholars secured. There are now nine school districts in the township, though only six school buildings are in use, owing to the fact that the board has adopted, so far as possible, a policy of centralization, conveying three districts to the graded school at North Jackson. Mr. Guy Hoover is the present superintendent, Miss Fern Winstead, assistant. The other teachers are as follows: District No. 1, Miss Emma Klingeman; No. 2, David Walters; No. 3, Stephen Goldner; No. 4 (two rooms), G. S. Hoover and Miss Fern Winstead; No. 5, no school; No. 6, Miss Etta M. Lynn; No. 7, Miss Isa Flick; No. 8 and No. 9, no school in use.
There are no special districts, and no new school house has been erected for the last sixteen years. The total number of scholars now in attendance is 170.
The Covenanter church was organized in 1830, in the southeastern part of the township, in the Gault and Ewing settlement. In 1833 a division occurred, which led to the formation of two societies, one locating in Austintown, and the other continuing to worship in the old church for many years.
The Methodist Episcopal society was organized in the same year at the center and is still in existence. Their church, north of the center, was erected in 1840. In 1834 the German Lutherans and German Presbyterians were organized into a society and in common erected a house for public worship one-half mile north of the center, which has been refitted once or twice since then. The Presbyte rians of Ohlton and Orr's Corners united in one organization, and in 1872 erected a good substantial house for worship a few rods east of the center. The Rev. T. R. McMahon was the first pastor. The pulpit is now filled by the Rev. Charles Wiseman, The other churches in Jackson are the Disciples' church, pastor, Rev. S. H. Bush; Reformed, Rev. Mr. Schaft
Among the early merchants were Colwell Porter, who was the first to open a store in a log cabin; Mr. Koons, who sold out to Mr. Graton; David Anderson, who commenced business in 1843 and afterwards sold out to John Cartwright, and Trumbull & Welkins, who had a store on the northwest corner of the center. Anthony & Flaugher began business on the southwest corner in 1856. Anderson & Flaugher formed a partnership under the name of D. Anderson & Company and in 1862 the name was changed to Anderson, Shaffer & Company. Welkers sold to Moherman, Osborn & Lynns. Lynns retiring, the firm became Moherman, Osborn & Moherman, and afterwards William & A. Moherman. They were followed by Dickson & Kirk, who were burned out September, 1874. Folk & Anderson commenced in 1866. Many subsequent changes have occurred, which lack of space forbids us to chronicle. The leading industrial enterprises of the township at present are, Kirtler Brothers, roller mills, capacity, 100 barrels per day; H. H. Lynn, sawmill, planing mill and feed mill, in connection with an up-to-date lumber yard, with supplies of building material. There are also the usual stores carrying supplies of furniture, farm machinery and provisions.
Jackson has also a prosperous Knights of Pythias lodge, which owns its own hall.