Mahoning County Ohio
The township of Milton, situated in the northwestern corner of Mahoning County, was settled about the year 1803, in the vicinity of Pricetown; and also about the same time on the eastern side of the township. Nathaniel Stanley, who settled in the western part, near the Mahoning river, was probably the first actual settler. He remained, however, but a short time, removing north to Newton township. Asa Porter, who came from Pennsylvania in 1803, is said to have been the second settler. He located west of the river, and afterwards went to reside on the farm of his sons, Enoch and Joseph. He brought up a family of twelve children. He was a man of great physical and constitutional strength, and lived to the remarkable age of ninety-six years. Another settler in the western part of the township, in 1803, was John Vanetten, who came to Milton from Delaware, with his wife and three children, seven others being afterwards born to them here. Mrs. Vanetten's maiden name was Anna Lebar.
Among the other early settlers were Samuel Linton, Samuel Bowles, who afterwards removed to Portage County; Isaac, James and held the office of associate judge; Daniel Jacob Winans, who came from Delaware in 1804; Jesse Holliday, Reuben S. Clarke, who Stewart, who settled south of Orr's Corners; John DeLong, Joseph Depew, James and John Craig, who settled east of the river; John Mc-Kenzie, who came in 1805, and William Parshall, who settled west of the river and kept a store.
Robert Price, from whom Priceville was named, came in 1817. Robert Rose, a native of Bath, Virginia, born in 1786, came to Ellsworth from Poland township with his father when a youth. He was living in 1881, being then ninety-six years of age, and possessing a remarkable degree of vigor.
Jesse Holliday, one of the earliest settlers, in 1804, built a grist mill, sawmill and carding mill, selling them twelve years later to John Price.
Afterwards they came into the possession of Robert Price, who operated them for several years. A flouring mill was built in the late thirties by Dr. Jonathan I. Tod, son-in-law of Judge Price, and remained in possession of Dr. Tod and his widow until 1861, when it was purchased by Mr. Calender. Dr. Tod also built a foundry on the west side of the river, which was operated for several years and then converted into a linseed oil factory. Another foundry erected by the Doctor was changed by Mr. Calender into a flax mill. J. M. Calender established a woolen factory, which was carried on for a number of years. There are now no manufactories in the township. At Blanco there is a general store kept by Emory Kale. In the southwest part of the township there is a small bank of coal, which supplies the local trade.
There are no township records of early date in existence. In 1814 John Johnston and Bildad Hine were elected justices of the peace by the joint townships, Newton and Milton. A year or two later Milton became a township and voting precinct by itself.
At an early date there was a log school house east of the river, which was taught by Daniel Depew, an elderly man. John Johnston taught school about 1812 in a log school house that was situated on the center road, three-quarters of a mile west of the Jackson township line. Other early teachers were, Robert White, Margaret Depew, Tillinghast Morey, Nancy Best, Peggy Stevens, Joseph Duer, Gain Robison and Billings Q. Plimpton. The last named afterwards became a famous Methodist preacher. The teachers were paid about $4 or $5 a month in summer, and $9 or $10 in winter, a part only in cash and the rest in orders on the store keepers.
There are now six schools in the township, with an attendance of about 100 scholars.
A Presbyterian church was organized about 1808 by citizens of Newton and Milton, and a church erected in Newton near Price's Mills. Rev. James Boyd was the first pastor, and was succeeded by Rev. John Beer, after which the church was "supplied" for a number of years. About 1836 Rev. W. O. Stratton became the pastor and during his ministry (in 1847) a new church was built at Orr's Corners, the old one being no longer used. In 1871 many of the members left and joined the new church at Jackson. This weakened the church so that it died a gradual death and is no longer in existence as an organization.
The Methodists organized a society and church about 1812 and held meetings in the school house at Orr's Corners. The pulpit was supplied by circuit preachers, among whom was Dr. Boswick, Rev. Ira Eddy, Rev. B. O. Plimpton and others. Tillinghast Morey, Isaac Mitchell, with the Winans and Vaughns, were prominent members and supporters of this church. Mr. Morey's house was a frequent stopping place for Methodist preachers while on their circuits, and services were often held there. The Methodist church is now the only denomination represented in the township. The building is a frame structure located a little west of the center. The congregation numbers about fifty.
The Disciples organized a church about 1830, and held meetings at the Orr's Corners school house. William Hayden and Walter Scott were among their first preachers. Their organization came to an end about 1860 or earlier.
The early settlers were all buried in Newton, near Price's Mills. There are now two cemeteries the Vaughn cemetery, situated west of the center, and the Eckis cemetery, in the southeastern part of the township. The old cemetery located in the northwestern part of the township has been abandoned, and is now in ruins.