Genealogy Trails - Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led
 

Marion County, Ohio
Genealogy and History

 
line
Biographies
line


SAMUEL BADER (Bowling Green Township) was born August 20, 1852, in Richland Township, this county, where his parents settled in 1843, and where they still reside. His parents, Samuel and Elizabeth (Frech) Bader, are of German descent and natives of Ohio. Samuel lived with his parents until he was twenty-one, and nine years was engaged in the Saw milling business, at which he was very successful. October 6, 1876, he was married at Cardington, Ohio, to Mollie E. Lewis, a daughter of Thomas and Emily (Look) Lewis, the latter natives of Ohio and of German and English ancestry. From the above marriage there are two children-Samuel E., born March 24, 1878, and John W., born November 24, 1879. Mr. Bader is an energetic and well-to-do farmer, highly respected in the township, a member of the F. & A. M. at La Rue, and in politics a Democrat. [Source: THE HISTORY OF MARION COUNTY, OHIO,1883 - By Leggett, Conaway & Co.]


JOHN BAIN (Montgomery Township) was born in Dundee, Scotland, May 3, 1829, the son of Capt. John and Ann (Horn) Bain, who came to America in 1832, stopping two years in Marion, then six years in Grand Prairie Township, but finally permanently settled in Montgomery Township. They were blessed with seven children, three surviving-John, William and Francis M. Christian, John, James and Ann are deceased. The father died in 1859, aged sixty six years, the mother in 1876, aged seventy-four years. Our subject acquired his educational attainments in the very common schools of his early day, taking one academic term of John Cunningham. He then taught more or less for five years. In May 1853, he married Eliza Scribner, daughter of. Samuel and Almira (Clark) Scribner, of English descent, the former a native of New Hampshire and the latter of Connecticut. Mr. Scribner was born February 6, 1784, served in war of 1812, and died about 1878, and his wife wits born September 30, 1791, and died November 29, 1872. Mr. and Mrs. Bain has nine children, all living-Flora A., born March 16, 1854; Milton H., September 8, 1855; Addison,. May 2, 1857; Jeannette, June 5, 1861; Mary M., January 1, 1863; William F., December 25, 1864; John H., April 5, 1866; James W., January 27, 1870, and, George S. March 18, 1872. The mother, born July 12, 1833, died November 14, 1880. She was a loving mother and a devoted Christian. Mr. Bain married again, March 15, 1883, Mrs. Phoebe (Rush) Robinson, widow of Loren L. Robinson, who lost his life in 1863 in the late civil war. Mr. B. began life with limited means; he has been devoting his entire attention to agriculture and stock-raising. He owns at present 365 acres of fine arable land, and is worth at least $18,000. He is a prominent farmer, an enthusiastic Republican, and for twenty-one consecutive years, he was magistrate of the township, Trustee a number of years, and Land Appraiser in 1860. He has held a license as local preacher for fifteen years. [Source: THE HISTORY OF MARION COUNTY, OHIO,1883 - By Leggett, Conaway & Co.]


FRANCIS CAMPBELL, (Marion Township) one of Marion County's pioneers, was born in County Donegal, Ireland, July 12, 1808. He is a son of Thomas and Catharine (Case) Campbell, natives of the same county. His father died at the age of ninety-four years, and his grandmother on his father's side lived to be one hundred and fourteen years old. Of eight children, Francis Campbell is the youngest. He was reared on a farm and educated in the high schools; emigrated to the United States in 1829, and settled on land two and a half miles west of Marion. He purchased a tract of 1,700 acres, 120 of which were located in Pleasant Township. All were woods, and Mr. Campbell cleared a site for a log cabin, which he erected and occupied until 1835, when he built a brick house. This was one of the first brick residences in the township, outside of the city. Mr. Campbell cleared and improved a large portion of his extensive lands, and made many valuable improvements. Soon after be settled in the county he engaged in buying and driving cattle over the mountains to Eastern markets followed driving and shipping for more than forty years, and was one of the leading stockmen of Marion County; also dealt in real estate for a number of years. He has been an industrious, hard-working man, and has acquired a large and valuable property. In April 1864, he removed to Marion, and now lives retired. February 15, 1834, Mr. Campbell was married to Miss Elizabeth McWhirter, daughter or Henry and Margaret McWhirter, who were natives of Bath County, Va. They were married in Virginia, and prior to the war of 1812, removed to Pickaway County, Ohio, and in 1820 to Marion, now Wyandot County. They subsequently removed to Hancock County, and in 1829 came and settled in Marion Township, where Mr. McWhirter died, in June 1864, at the age of sixty-five years. Mrs. McWhirter died May 2, 1835, at the age of fifty-two. Mrs. Campbell was born in Pickaway County, Ohio, September 28, 1815. Mr. and Mrs. Campbell are the parents of eight children of these four are living--Sarah E., wife of P. Geddes Harvey; Thomas H. Catharine A., wife of' John S. Riley; and Ida M., wife of William C. Rapp. William J., Margaret J., Mary E. and Francis J. are deceased. William J. died November 23, 1882, while on his way to Ireland. He married Emma Banker, who died February 25, 1876, and left one son-Edson F. Margaret J. was the wife of Samuel Maharfey, and died, leaving one child-Francis J. Mary E. was the wife of William Mahaffey. Francis J., the youngest, died at the age of five years. Mr. and Mrs. Campbell reared one grandson, Edson F. Mrs. Campbell is an earnest, consistent member of the Presbyterian Church. [Source: THE HISTORY OF MARION COUNTY, OHIO,1883 - By Leggett, Conaway & Co.]


DAVID M. CLARK (Montgomery Township) is a native of Montgomery Township, born February 10, 1854, the son of John and Huldah (Messick) Clark, of Irish extraction, but natives of Ohio and Delaware respectively. Mr. Clark obtained a good education, finishing at Ridgeville, Ind., May 10, 1875. He married Lizzie Kneisley, daughter of John and Susan (McClain) Kneisley, the former of English, and the latter of Irish ancestry, but natives of Ohio. Two children have crowned this marriage-Annie, born March 21, 1878, and William J., born October 22,1881. Our subject is a successful farmer, having a farm of 109 acres of carefully cultivated land. He estimates his property at $8,000. He is a highly respected citizen, a member of the IOOF, of the Republican party, and, with his wife, of the Methodist Episcopal Church. [Source: THE HISTORY OF MARION COUNTY, OHIO,1883 - By Leggett, Conaway & Co.]


JOHN J. DAVIS
, (Green Camp Township) son of John B. and Elsie (Biggerstaff) Davis, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, April 28, 1821. His people, of Welsh and Irish extraction, settled in Marion County in 1832, :and had ten children, seven living-Friend, John J., William B., Caleb, Isaac C., Richard B. and Anthony F. The deceased were Joshua., Samuel and Robert. Obtaining a fair common school education, Mr. Davis, the subject of this paragraph, was inclined naturally to farming, which be followed with his father until married. This interesting event took place December 3, 1844, to Sarah J. Twyman, daughter of Samuel and Sarah Twyman. Their children are Samuel C., Isaac N. and Effie I. He then commenced life independently, farming in Pleasant Township a number of years. He listened to his country's call in the late war, enlisting September 11, 1862, at Green Camp, in Company B, One Hundred and Twenty-first Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He fought heroically at Perryville, Chickamauga, Dalton, Resaca, Buzzard's Roost, Kennesaw Mountain, Jonesboro, Atlanta, Lovejoy Station, and with Sherman's historic march to the sea. He was honorably discharged at Columbus, Ohio, June 18, 1865. He returned to his family and plow, and has become a worthy citizen, as he was a gallant soldier. His fifty years' residence in the county is an enviable fact to which but few attain. His service as Township Trustee and Marshal of the village of Green Camp was satisfactory. He is a Republican in politics. [Source: THE HISTORY OF MARION COUNTY, OHIO,1883 - By Leggett, Conaway & Co.]


JOHN EHLERS (Claridon Township) is a native of Brunswick, Germany, born August 23, 1832, the son of Henry and Arenozena Ehlers. He emigrated to the land of the free in 1852, settling in Grand Prairie Township, and was married in Marion County, Ohio, February 2, 1858, to Eliza Russel, a daughter of Elijah Russel, and six children have been born to them--Elijah, Phoebe D., Sarah J., John W. and Henry U., twins, and Frank. Mr. Ehlers commenced in life a poor boy, but through industry and economy owns at present a valuable farm of 135 acres. He is a stanch Democrat; he and wife are members of the German Reformed Church. [Source: THE HISTORY OF MARION COUNTY, OHIO,1883 - By Leggett, Conaway & Co.]


VALENTINE FEHL (Grand Township) was born in Adams County, Penn., September 15, 1817. His parents, John and Sarah (Wolf) Fehl, were natives of the same county. They were married about 1816, and in 1833 emigrated to the West, and settled in what is now Marseilles Township, Wyandot County, which then formed a part of Grand Township. Mr. Fehl bought at first 120 acres, mostly woodland, to which he made additions until his farm contained 500 acres, of this 120 acres he entered in Grand Township. His death occurred July 12, 1868, aged seventy-six; Mrs. Fehl resides in Grand Township, in the ninetieth year of her age. Of eight children born to Mr. and Mrs. Fehl, five are living. Our subject, the eldest child, was reared to manhood on a farm, and was educated in the district schools. In 1850, he bought 160 acres of woodland in Grand Township. He cleared a place and erected a house, which he occupied till the erection of the present residence in 1866. Mr. Fehl has increased his farm to 280 acres of well improved and highly cultivated land. He has always followed farming and stock-raising, and with success. His first marriage took place in 1842, with Miss Rosanna Studebaker, a daughter of Abram and Mary Studebaker, She died in 1847, leaving two children-Olive (wife of Jacob Williams) and Caroline (wife of James Emptage. Mr. Fehl celebrated his second marriage November 9, 1851, with Miss Clara Otis, daughter of Stephen and Mary Otis. Mrs. Fehl, a native of Washington County, Ohio, was born September 8, 1834. This union was blessed with eight children of these seven are living-Orlando, O., Sarah A. (wife of William McCleary), Maggie E., Etta, Finley J., Julia and Otis V.; Clara M. died in infancy. Mr. Fehl and family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Politically, he is a Republican; he served as Treasurer of Grand Township twelve years, and as Trustee six years. [Source: THE HISTORY OF MARION COUNTY, OHIO,1883 - By Leggett, Conaway & Co.]


CHRISTIAN GAST, (Prospect Township) born April 23, 1726, and his wife Christina, born in 1729, were both natives of Wuerttemberg, Germany. About the year 1750, immediately after their marriage, they emigrated to America, first settling in Maryland, not far from Philadelphia, Penn., and subsequently moving to Center County, Penn., where they passed the remainder of their lives. They had two sons and one daughter who grow to maturity and raised families. Their names were John, Nicholas. Catherine and Christian. The last mentioned bought a farm on the banks of the Juniata River in the town of Frankstown, Huntingdon Co., Penn., where he and his wife both died, he at the advanced age of about eighty years. They rasied a family of ten children, who grew to be men and women, Their names were as follows: Catherine, born February 12, 1789; Christian, August 9, 1790; John, November 13, 1793; George, February 8, 1706; Jacob, March 24, 1798; William, March 15, 1800; Mary, March 21, 1803; Margaret, December 15, 1805; Sarah, December 17, 1807; Samuel, January 19, 1810. [Source: THE HISTORY OF MARION COUNTY, OHIO,1883 - By Leggett, Conaway & Co.]


CHRISTOPHER GRACELY (Big Island Township) is a native of Richland Township, born August 15, 1846, the son of Jacob Friederich and Sophia (Drollinger) Graessle, who came from Ellmendingen, Baden, Germany in 1832, locating in the above township. Cholera raged upon the vessel upon which they came, and forty-eight of their fellow-passengers died. They were six weeks moving, with an ox-team, from Cleveland to their place of settlement. They removed to Big Island Township in 1873. The mother died in 1857. Their children numbered nine; one son is Rev. David Gracely, of the German Methodist Episcopal Church. The old gentleman, born in 1806, is still vigorous. Christopher, having received a fair education, married, April 18, 1871. Miss Angeline Bauer, daughter of Croft Bauer, of Pleasant Township. The name of their only child is Emanuel W. Mr. Gracely purchased his home of eighty acres in 1871, paying $5,000, adding since forty acres, all worth $65 per acre. As a farmer, he has a fine beginning. His $1,000 barn is just completed. His farm is stocked with the best grades. This is the fourth year of his Township Trusteeship. Himself and family are members of the German Methodist Episcopal Church, which he has served in all official relations. He is a highly respected citizen. [Source: THE HISTORY OF MARION COUNTY, OHIO,1883 - By Leggett, Conaway & Co.]


JAMES S. IREY. (Claridon Township) His parents, Hannibal and Elizabeth (Lawrence) Irey, the former a native of Virginia and of English descent, the latter a native of Lincolnshire, England, arrived in Claridon Township in a very primitive day. Mrs. Irey passed away in 1865, and Mr. Irey in 1870. James S., was born in the above township February 14, 1847; obtained a common school education, and married Martha T. Wittred, December 7, 1871, daughter of William and Martha (Bothamly) Wittred. Their children are all living-Orral L., born December 28, 1872; Harley G., April 3, 1874; Ray, November 8, 1876; Fern L., January 15, 1871), and James C., October 15, 1880. Mrs. Irey was born June 14, 1847. Mr. Irey is extensively engaged in the manufacture of tile, having established himself in this business in 1878, and employing three men during that season. He owns a comfortable home in Claridon village, and five and one-half acres adjacent. He is an active Republican, taking great interest in local politics. He is an industrious and worthy citizen. [Source: THE HISTORY OF MARION COUNTY, OHIO,1883 - By Leggett, Conaway & Co.]


FLORENCE M. KLING HARDING

Florence Harding


Mrs Warren G. Harding, wife of the new senator-elect from Ohio will be a welcome addition to social circles in Washington. Her husband has been prominent in public life for 16 years, and Mrs. Harding has always been a leader in society in their home state. She is a true gentlewoman, educated, cultured and gracious, and a charming conversationalist. Mrs. Harding was Miss Florence M. Kling, daughter of the late Amos H. Kling, who at the time of his death was the wealthiest resident of Marion county, Ohio. The Hardings were married in 1891, and they live in a pretty home on Mt. Vernon avenue, in Marion. It is just a lovely, homelike home. Its furnishings are rich and tasteful, but there is no sign of gaudiness anywhere. Many little things have been picked up in Europe and are used as decorations in Mr. Harding's den. Books are everywhere to be found - in the library and out of the library. Mrs. Harding and her husband have no children, but they love pets. [The North Platte Semi-Weekly Tribune. (North Platte, Neb.), 23 July 1915]


TIM KELLEY, (Marion Township) a native of County Limerick, Ireland, was born June 16, 1844; his parents, Timothy and Ellen Kelley, were natives of the same county and both died there, the former in 1848 and the latter in 1849. Mr. Kelley, the subject of this biography, in 1852 came to America with his brother, Jeremiah Kelley, and stopped in Queen's County, Lung Island; remained there until 1856, then went to Albany, N. Y., and in December 1861, came to Bucyrus, Ohio, and subsequently to Marion. He worked on a farm until August 16, 1882, when he enlisted in Company A, Eighty-second Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He served in the Eleventh Army Corps under Gens. Sigel and Howard till September 1863, when he joined the Twentieth Army Corps and served as Orderly to Gens. Hooker and Slocum until his discharge in June 1865. Among the leading battles of the war in which he participated were Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Lookout Mountain, Mission Ridge, and from the latter place to Knoxville, Resaca, and in all the engagements of Sherman's Atlanta campaign and march to the sea. He marched through the Carolinas to Richmond; thence to Washington, D. C., where he witnessed the grand review. He was wounded at New Hope Church. After the war closed, he returned to Marion, and afterward to Albany; then back to Marion. He clerked three years for T. Fahey; then engaged in business for himself. In April 1876, he removed to his present rooms, where he carries a stock of groceries and provisions, tobacco, cigars, foreign and domestic liquors, to the amount of $15,000 to $20,000, and does a wholesale and retail business. He is also a stockholder in the Huber Manufacturing Company; was a member of the City Council 1873-74, and is also a member at the present time. October 16, 1873, Mr. Kelley was united in marriage with Miss Norab, daughter of Pierce Keating, formerly of Marion County. She was born in Rochester, N. Y., June 4, 1848. They have five children, viz., William P., James K., Edward D., Mary E. and Maggie. [Source: THE HISTORY OF MARION COUNTY, OHIO,1883 - By Leggett, Conaway & Co.]


JOHN KIBLER (Green Camp Township) is a native of Wuerttemberg, Germany, born October 3, 1827, son of Johanis and Christena (Wolford) Kibler, who left the Father land in 1833, settling in Trumbull County, Ohio, upon a twenty-five acre farm, covered with a dense forest. They cleared and sold it, coming to Green Camp, buying 112 acres, for less than $3 per acre. They were married in 1857, and had seven children- John, Catherine, Mary, Gottlieb, George, Rachel and Daniel. The first two are living. The subject of this sketch has been a farmer since his boyhood. He went to the war in the fall of 1864, entering Company H, One Hundred and Eightieth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, with Capt. Bowers. His company was engaged in guarding military stores and bridges. He engaged in one skirmish at Kingston, N. C., lay in a hospital fifteen days at Charlotte, same State, and was honorably discharged in July 1865, at Columbus, Ohio. His farm, to which he has made several additions, numbers at present 300 well improved acres. As a citizen, he is worthy; as a Republican, true; as a Christian, faithful to the Methodist Episcopal Church, which he serves in the capacity of local minister. He was wedded, December 4, 1851, to Caroline Gottliebine Keller. She was born June 13, 1828 in Zaiserweiher, Wuerttemberg, Germany the daughter of John Ulrich and Christena C. (Kull) Keller. [Source: THE HISTORY OF MARION COUNTY, OHIO,1883 - By Leggett, Conaway & Co.]


JOHN MARKLEY, the owner and occupant of "Bloody Island, was born in Marion County, Ohio, October 10, 1827. He early moved to Iowa, where he spent his youth, and in 1857 came to Missouri, settling in Gentry County. In 1866 he located in this county and moved upon this island. Though it was covered with heavy timber, he has by hard work cleared it and made a perfect garden. He has erected good buildings, and has an orchard of fine fruit, grapes, peaches, etc. Mr. M. married Rebecca Bird, of Indiana, in 1852. They have seven children: John Harvey, Garrett G., Aaron S., Mary (now Mrs. Solomon Hoffin), Albert and Alfred (twins), and David George. He was in the State Militia during the war, and served faithfully. He is one of the honest and reliable men of the community, and attends to his own business. When the Government surveyed the State of Missouri, their boundary line on the west was the Missouri River, and when the State of Nebraska was surveyed the river had changed its channel one-half mile west, and Nebraska ran to the new channel, and consequently an island was left, which neither belongs to one state or the other, nor to the Government. Mr. M. is one of the most independent men living. In an early day, when this island was covered with heavy timber there was quite a great strife, and a rough set settled there. Upon one occasion one party who destroyed the house of another was arrested and had a trial, and one of the party called for three cheers for "Bloody Island. Thus the name.
[The History of Holt and Atchison Counties, Missouri; St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by K. Mohler.]

 



HOME



Copyright Genealogy Trails