John Melvin Alderfer
John Melvin Alderfer, who is identified with the India Tire & Rubber Company, of Akron, as chairman of the board of directors, is a representative citizen of Sharon Center, Medina County, where he resides. He was born at Western Star, Summit County, Ohio, Jan. 15, 1867, the son of Frederick and Deborah (Longacre) Alderfer. The Alderfer family in Ohio is descended from Frederick Alderfer, who came to the United States from Germany in August, 1732. He settled in Montgomery County, Pa., where he secured a tract of land, part of which is still in the possession of the Alderfer family. John Melvin Alderfer, the subject of this sketch, is the sixth generation in descent from the aforementioned Frederick Alderfer. Frederick Alderfer, father of the subject of this sketch, was born in Montgomery County, Pa., in 1836, and died in August, 1898. He was a retail lumberman and operated a sawmill and crate manufacturing plant near Sharon Center from 1869 until his death. March 3, 1864, he married Deborah Longacre, the daughter of Jacob and Catherine (Newcomer) Longacre, of Wadsworth, Ohio. To them were born six children. 1. Ella Catherine, born July 3, 1865, died in 1927, was the wife of Almon Trump, of Wadsworth, Ohio. 2. John Melvin, the subject of this sketch. 3. Frederick Grant, born in December, 1868, is vice president of the Trump Rubber Company, of Akron, Ohio. 4. Jacob Franklin, born Aug. 19, 1870, was an instructor in music at Oberlin College for a number of years, and during the World War served as staff secretary of the University Union in Paris, France. While thus engaged he died from illness in Paris and is buried at Wadsworth, Ohio. 5. Deborah, born Aug. 20, 1878, the widow of David Austin Grubb, who died in 1927, and she lives at Akron. 6. Pearl Permelia, born Nov. 12, 1880, the widow of William McCracken, lives at Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. John M. Alderfer was educated in the district schools of Sharon Township and as a boy was employed in his father's sawmill. At the latter's retirement from active business in 1892, Mr. Alderfer and his brother, Frederick, took complete charge of the business, which they successfully operated until 1915. In that year the plant was completely destroyed by fire, and two years later John M. Alderfer organized the India Tire & Rubber Company at Akron, Ohio. He became president of the company and held that office until 1928, when he retired and became chairman of the board of directors. He is also vice president of the Franz Foundry & Machine Company of Barberton, Ohio; vice president of the Akron Rubber Reclaiming Company of Barberton; vice president and director of Sharon Center Banking Company; and a member of the finance committee of the Mogadore Savings Bank, Akron. From 1916 until 1926 the Alderfer family lived at Akron. They are now residents of Sharon Center. They live in a fine old Colonial home which was built in 1839. On July 23, 1890, Mr. Alderfer married Miss Stella S. Santee, the daughter of William H. and Emma Caroline (Stuver) Santee, of Sharon Township, both deceased. The former spent many years in the employ of the Empire Reaper and Mower Works of Akron. To Mr. and Mrs. were born two children: Sterling William, born May 17, 1897, is assistant to the president, secretary and superintendent of purchases, India Tire & Rubber Company, lives at Akron; and Ruth Emma, a graduate of Sharon Center High School, attended Oberlin College, and is a graduate of the College for Women, Western Reserve University. She has studied art in Paris and has taken graduate work in handicraft at Columbia University. During the World War Miss Alderfer served with the Red Cross in France. She lives at home. Mr. Alderfer is a Republican and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Since 1917 he has taken an active interest in Y. M. C. A. work throughout the State of Ohio, and at the present time is a member of the State Committee. ["HISTORY OF NORTH CENTRAL OHIO: : embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne, Medina, Lorain, Huron and Knox Counties" by William A. Duff, 1931 - G.T. Transcription Team]
Roland A. Auble
One of the leading figures in the business life of Medina County is Roland A. Auble, who is president of the Peoples Savings & Loan Company of Wadsworth, and a member of the real estate and insurance firm of Neath, Daniel & Auble. He was born near Wadsworth, Sept. 6, 1871, the son of Thomas and Maria (Turner) Auble.
Thomas Auble is a representative citizen of Wadsworth, where he has had numerous business interests. He was born in Center County, Pa., Nov. 12, 1850, the son of Andrew and Margaret (Motz) Auble, who were natives of Pennsylvania and among the early settlers of Wadsworth, having settled here in 1850, when their son, Thomas, was but three months old. Andrew Auble was married twice, Thomas being the only child born to Margaret (Motz) Auble. She died in 1875. By a former marriage a daughter, Westanna, was born, who married Henry Rosenberger, deceased, and she lives in Nebraska. Andrew Auble died in 1905.
Thomas Auble is one of the largest landowners in Medina County, at the present time having in his possession a well improved farm of 1,000 acres in Wadsworth and Sharon townships. He is president of the Wadsworth Brick & Tile Company, and a director of the Wadsworth Savings and Trust Company. He has held numerous township offices and has always been prominent in the political and civic life of the community. Thomas Auble married Maria Turner, who was the grand-daughter of Alexander Turner, a native of Connecticut, who came to Ohio in 1820 and settled in Wadsworth Township. His son, Alonzo Turner, was the father of Maria Turner. To Thomas and Maria (Turner) Auble were born three children: Roland A., the subject of this sketch; Andrew, who was a pioneer in the automobile business in Akron, now retired, lives at Akron, Ohio; Grace, married W. R. Koontz, lives at Wadsworth; and Stanley, who died in 1913 at the age of 26 years.
Roland A. Auble was reared and educated in Wadsworth, and as a young man took over the management of a 300 acre farm in Wadsworth Township,, which he still owns. The Auble estate is known as Home Brook Hill, and is among the finest to be found in Medina County. For a number of years Mr. Auble has been identified with the Peoples Savings & Loan Company of Wadsworth, and was elected president of the institution at its organization in 1922. He is also a director of the Wadsworth Brick & Tile Company, and is interested in the real estate and insurance business in Wadsworth, with offices at 110 Main Street.
On Feb. 25, 1892, Mr. Auble was married (first) to Miss Fietta Miller, the daughter of John and Susan Miller, who were early settlers of Medina County. She was born Nov. 29, 1871, and died Feb. 25, 1920. She is buried in Woodlawn Cemetery, Wadsworth. To Mr. and Mrs. Auble were born six daughters:
1. LaVonne, married Forest Cox, and they have three sons, Theodore, Thomas, and Robert.
2. Sue, married Capt. Frank Hilliard, a funeral director, Wadsworth.
3. Marjorie, a graduate of Wittenberg College, married Gordon Phillips, and they have three children, Gordon, Jr., Dorothy Ruth, and Richard.
4. Dorothy, a graduate of Wittenberg College, the widow of Charles Schneider, who died in June, 1930, and they had two children, Sue Frances, and Charles, Jr. She is a teacher in the Wadsworth public school.
5. Grace, a graduate of Wittenberg College, married Joseph Neath, who is an electrical engineer in the employ of the Ohio Match Company. They have a son, Joseph, Jr.
6. Virginia, who attends Wittenberg College. All are residents of Wadsworth.
On Oct. 5, 1923, Mr. Auble was married (second) to Miss Nora Baird, of Ashland County, the daughter of William and Lucy Baird. Mr. Baird lives retired at Jeromesville, Ohio. His wife is deceased. To Roland A. and Nora (Baird) Auble have been born three children: Helen, born in 1924; Joan, born in 1927; and Donna, born in 1930.
Mr. Auble has served as trustee of Wadsworth Township for 16 years, having resigned in 1927. He was deputy state supervisor of elections in Medina County for a period of four years, and in 1930 was elected county commissioner. He has also served as a member of the township school board. Mr. Auble is a Republican.
Mr. Auble is a member of the Lutheran Church, of which he was a trustee for ten years. Mrs. Auble is a member of the Church of Christ of Wadsworth, where she has been active in Sunday School work for many years. He is a member of I. O. O. F. and the Wadsworth Business Men's Association, and has always taken an active interest in all civic affairs. ["HISTORY OF NORTH CENTRAL OHIO: : embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne, Medina, Lorain, Huron and Knox Counties" by William A. Duff, 1931 - G.T. Transcription Team]
Constance (Beech) Baker, who holds the office of city clerk of Wadsworth, is well and favorably known throughout Medina County, where she has always lived. She was born in Sharon Township, the daughter of Harry M. and Carrie (Crane) Beech.
Harry M. Beech was born in Sharon Township, May 27, 1856, and died in 1912. He is buried in Sharon Cemetery. He was the son of S. W. and Mary L. (Shaw) Beech. S. W. Beech was born at Canaan, Essex County, Vt., Aug. 17, 1811. He was the son of Samuel and Mary (Bailey) Beech, who were the parents of eleven children: Phoebe, Mary, Martha, Samuel, Israel, Isaac, Abagail, Thomas, Nathaniel, Elias, and S. W. The father of these children died in 1813. S. W. Beech remained at home with his widowed mother until 1822, and then went to live in Maine with his sister, Phoebe. He came to Medina County in 1834 and settled on a farm in Sharon Township, where he spent the remainder of his life. He died July 22, 1880. He was married in October, 1842, (first) to Miss Sarah Shaw, the daughter of Dr. Ichabod Shaw. They had the following children: Edgar L., born Oct. 1, 1843, died in infancy; Edgar L., born Sept. 1, 1845, died in service during the Civil War, Aug. 1, 1864; and Arthur, born April 10, 1847, died in infancy. Sarah (Shaw) Beech died Aug. 17, 1847, and in September, 1848, Mr. Beech married (second) Mary L. Shaw, a sister of his first wife. To this union were born five children: Arthur, born July 26, 1849, died in infancy; Arthur, born July 6, 1851; John P., born Oct. 29, 1853; Harry M., born May 27, 1856; and Walter E., born Aug. 16, 1857.
Harry M. Beech married Miss Carrie Crane, the daughter of Alfred and Harriet (Adair) Crane. Carrie (Crane) Beech was born in Sharon Township, June 19, 1857, and now resides at Wadsworth with her daughter, Mrs. Baker. Her parents were natives of New England and among the earliest settlers of Sharon Township. To Harry M. and Carrie (Crane) Beech were born two children: Constance, the subject of this sketch; and Dewey E., born May 15, 1884, lives in Cleveland. He married Miss Charlotte Behlen, and they have three children, Louise, Frederick, and Charlotte. A son, Richard, is deceased.
Constance Beech attended the district schools of Sharon Township and was a student of Sharon High School. She was also a student of Oberlin College, where she specialized in the study of music. She has since devoted a great deal of time to the teaching of music in Wadsworth.
In 1904 Constance Beech married (first) Chester T. Hammond, of Copley Township, Medina County, born Nov. 19, 1869. He was a representative farmer and stockman of this county during his life and died Nov. 18, 1916. He is buried in Copley Cemetery. To Chester T. and Constance (Beech) Hammond were born two sons: Harry S., born Feb. 20, 1905, attended Ohio Northern University, is a member of the firm of Hammond & Struble, druggists, lives at Wooster; Lee C, born Jan. 5, 1907, attends Ohio Northern University.
On March 19, 1919, Constance (Beech) Hammond married (second) William O. Baker, who was born in Wadsworth Township, June 22, 1874. He was identified with the Hilliard & Curry Company, funeral directors, of Wadsworth, and in later years was a carpenter and builder. Mr. Baker died July 1, 1928, and is buried in Woodlawn Cemetery, Wadsworth. His first wife was Grace Link, who died in 1916, and they had two sons: George W., and Leslie O. Both live at Wadsworth. They are members of Trinity Reformed Church and belong to the Masonic Lodge.
Mrs. Baker has been a resident of Wadsworth since 1918 and has held the office of village clerk since Jan. 1, 1930. She is a member of Trinity Reformed Church and is active in Americanization work throughout Medina County. ["HISTORY OF NORTH CENTRAL OHIO: : embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne, Medina, Lorain, Huron and Knox Counties" by William A. Duff, 1931 - G.T. Transcription Team]
William B. Geery
Geery, William B. - St Paul. Res 550 summit av, office Manhattan bldg.. Banker. Born Aug 23, 1867 in Medina O, son of Joseph McClelland and Mary (Beckwith) Geery. Educated at Ripon Wis High School; Ripon Preparatory School; Ripon College. With First Mat Bank of Ripon Wis messenger to teller 1884-89; teller St Paul Nat Bank 1890-92; asst cashr 1892-1902; cashr 1902-1906; v pres Capitol Nat Bank 1907. Treas Commercial and Nushka clubs St Paul. Member Minn, Commercial. Town and Country, Yacht, Nushka and Roosevelt Republican clubs St Paul. ["Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota". Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Nancy Overlander]
Nellie A. Harter
Nellie A. Harter, editor and manager of the Wadsworth Banner-Press, was born in Guilford Township, Medina County, the daughter of William and Eliza (Peters) Harter.
William Harter was a native of Stark County, Ohio. Most of his life was spent as a farmer and thresher, although during his early life he conducted a small general store at Copley, Ohio. He died May 25, 1895, and his wife, who was born in Wadsworth Township, Medina County, died March 16, 1922. Both are buried in Woodlawn Cemetery, Wadsworth.
There were eight children born to Mr. and Mrs. Harter, as follows: 1. Edwin F., who was killed in a railroad wreck in 1908. 2. Mrs. J. D. Kellogg, lives at Boone, Iowa. 3. Christian C., who died May 11, 1919. 4. Mrs. Bruce MacDonald, who died May 22, 1913. 5. Rollin E., lives on Columbia Avenue, Greenville, Pa. 6. Mrs. C. L. Welty, lives on State Road, Wadsworth. 7. Prof. Nathan W., lives at 66 College Avenue, Greenville, Pa. 8. Nellie A., the subject of this sketch.
Nellie A. Harter attended the public and high schools of Wadsworth, and has devoted her entire career to newspaper work. She began work in the mechanical department of the Wadsworth Banner, and eventually was transferred to the office to assist with news matter. Her mechanical knowledge served as a good foundation for future executive work and in 1922 Miss Harter became a partner with W. S. Hostetler, as owners of the Wadsworth Banner-Press. At his death, in May, 1929, she assumed complete charge of the editorial work as well as management of the shop.
Miss Harter is a member of Grace Lutheran Church, Wadsworth, and belongs to the Business Women's Club of Akron.
The maternal grandparents of Miss Harter were Christian and Mary (Long) Peters, who were well known pioneers of Wadsworth Township. ["HISTORY OF NORTH CENTRAL OHIO: : embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne, Medina, Lorain, Huron and Knox Counties" by William A. Duff, 1931 - G.T. Transcription Team]
Stephen P. Hartzell
As president of the First National Bank of Wadsworth, Stephen P. Hartzell has been a prominent figure in the business life of Medina County and North Central Ohio for many years. He was born at Wind Gap, Pa., Dec. 1, 1857, the son of Samuel and Lydia (Heller) Hartzell.
The Hartzell family is of Swiss origin, and was first represented in the United States in 1732, when several members of the family settled in Bucks County, Pa. There is also a trace of German in the ancestry of the Hartzells, although they were residents of Switzerland for many years. Heinrich Hartzell is said to have been the first of his family to come to this country and he settled in Rockhill Township, Bucks County, Pa. He is buried in the Reformed Church Cemetery, Indian Creek, near Telford, Pa. Jonas Hartzell, great-grandfather of the subject of this sketch, was born near Telford, Pa., in 1744. He had a family of seven sons and four daughters. One son, Solomon Hartzell, grandfather of our subject, was born near Telford, Pa., in 1744. He had a family of seven sons and Hartzell had three sons and six daughters, one son being Samuel Hartzell, who was the father of Stephen P. Hartzell. He was born at Wind Gap, Pa., in March, 1809, and was a weaver by trade. He died in 1871 and is buried in Northampton County, Pa. His wife, Lydia (Heller) Hartzell, was born in Lehigh County, Pa., in 1822, and died in February, 1867. Her ancestors, the Hellers, emigrated to the United States from Germany in 1738 and were early settlers of Lehigh County, Pa.
To Samuel and Lydia (Heller) Hartzell were born six children, as follows: 1. Sarah J., who died in 1870, was the wife of Owen Kresge, of Monroe County, Pa. 2. Thomas, retired, lives at Loyal Oak, Summit County, Ohio. 3. Amanda, who died in infancy. 4. John F., who died in 1879. 5. Stephen P., the subject of this sketch. 6. Anna M., who died in 1896, was the wife of Stephen Roe, of Stroudsburg, Pa.
Stephen P. Hartzell was reared in Pennsylvania and came to Medina County in 1877 and attended the district schools. He also studied at the Mennonite College in Wadsworth. As a young man he learned the trade of bookbinder with the Beacon Publishing Company, of Akron, Ohio. After eight years he became interested in the grocery business at Akron, and later was identified with the Werner Printing Company, of Akron, with whom he remained for a period of 13 years. He then became a member of the board of fire underwriters as secretary. Mr. Hartzell also spent some time in Washington, D. C, with the government printing department, and for a time engaged in the real estate business in that city. He returned to Wadsworth in 1908, and at that time became a member of the real estate and insurance firm of Allen, Hartzell & Dibble. Mr. Hartzell has been practically retired from business since 1916 and devotes most of his time to banking interests. Since the organization of the First National Bank of Wadsworth in April, 1915, Mr. Hartzell has been identified with the institution. He served as vice president until 1928, and at that time became president. He is also financially interested in the Ohio Injector Company, of Wadsworth, the Ohio Salt Company, the Ohio Box-board Company, and the Union Trust Company, of Cleveland.
Mr. Hartzell married Miss Cora F. Kremer, of Wadsworth, who was born here, Feb. 5, 1863, the daughter of John C. and Lydia Kremer, early settlers of Wadsworth. They have a son, Leslie K., who was born at Akron, Ohio, Dec. 15, 1894. He was educated in Washington, D. C, and Wadsworth, and spent two years at Heidelberg College. He also attended Case School of Applied Science, Cleveland, and is now identified with the Babcock & Wilcox Company, of Barberton, Ohio, as a draftsman. He served throughout the World War. He married Miss Hattie Neff, of Wadsworth, who is the daughter of Clayton and Mary Neff. Mr. Neff lives retired at Wadsworth. His wife died in 1929. Mr. and Mrs. Hartzell have a daughter, Beatrice Mae, born May 6, 1930.
Mr. Hartzell has always been a Democrat. He is an active member of the Reformed Church of Wadsworth, and belongs to the Knights of Pythias. He is a member of the National Association of Hartzells in America, who are descendants of the Ancient Feudal Clans Von Herzeele, Barons of the Reich. ["HISTORY OF NORTH CENTRAL OHIO: : embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne, Medina, Lorain, Huron and Knox Counties" by William A. Duff, 1931 - G.T. Transcription Team]
Milton H. Leatherman
Milton H. Leatherman. One of the leading figures in the business life of Medina County is M. H. Leatherman, who is president and treasurer of the Wadsworth Lumber Company. He was born in Wadsworth Township, Aug. 14, 1860, the son of Jacob and Mary (Baker) Leatherman.
Jacob Leatherman, a native of Wadsworth Township, was born April 12, 1834. He was the son of John Leatherman, who was born in eastern Pennsylvania in 1800. He was among the first settlers of Wadsworth Township and became the owner of a farm of 110 acres in the southwestern part of the township. He was also a school teacher. His son, Jacob Leatherman, was reared and educated in Wadsworth Township and engaged in general farming until 1876 at which time he established a grain and feed business in Wadsworth, later known as the Wadsworth Milling Company. He later became identified with the lumber business, and was associated in this with his sons. Mr. Leatherman died in 1904. He was a prominent member of the Mennonite Church of Wadsworth and one of the founders and trustees of Mennonite College at Bluffton, Ind. He was ever interested and active in the civic interests of the city. He served as township trustee, justice of the peace, and as a member of the board of education. His wife was a native of Pennsylvania, born in 1828. She was the daughter of Benjamin Baker, one of the first settlers of Wadsworth. To Mr. and Mrs. Leatherman were born three sons: Milton H., the subject of this sketch; Benjamin F., and John N., who are identified with the Wadsworth Lumber Company.
M. H. Leatherman has always lived in Wadsworth. He was educated in the district schools and for a number of years was engaged in the hard ware business. He has been connected with the Wadsworth Lumber Company since 1897 and at the time of his father's death in 1904 became associated with his brothers, J. N. and B. F. Leatherman. The company was incorporated in 1906 with the following officers: M. H. Leatherman, president; H. M. Simcox, vice president; and John N. Leatherman, secretary and treasurer. The capital stock was increased in 1918 from $40,000 to $100,000. The company also operates lumber yards at Seville, Medina County, and Creston, Wayne County. They are also retail dealers in builders supplies and coal. In 1918 Mr. Leatherman with his brothers, John N. and B. F., bought the Wadsworth Milling Company, and after operating same in connection with the lumber business for 18 months, they sold it in June, 1919, to the Wadsworth's Farmers Equity Exchange Company.
In 1883 Mr. Leatherman married Miss Laura Warner, daughter of Samuel and Eliza Warner, of Wadsworth, Ohio, who died in 1922. They were the parents of five children: William, who died in 1918; Mrs. Carrie Jones, who lives at Greenville, S. C.; Irene, died in infancy; Mary, married Lloyd J. Abrams, lives at Wadsworth; and Frank W., who is secretary of the Wadsworth Lumber Company. He married Miss Helen Reed, a native of Kentucky.
In 1924 Mr. M. H. Leatherman married Mrs. Carrie (Reid) Selby.
Mr. Leatherman is a Republican and has served as a member of the city council and as township clerk. He is a trustee and member of the official board of the Methodist Church of Wadsworth. ["HISTORY OF NORTH CENTRAL OHIO: : embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne, Medina, Lorain, Huron and Knox Counties" by William A. Duff, 1931 - G.T. Transcription Team]
Charles B. Lewis
Charles B. Lewis, won fame as an American humorist under the name of "M. Quad." It is said he owes his celebrity originally to the fact that he was once mixed up in a boiler explosion on the Ohio river, and the impressions he received from the event he set up from his case when he was in the composing room of an obscure Michigan paper. His style possesses a peculiar quaintness, and there runs through it a vein of philosophy. Mr. Lewis was born in 1844, near a town called Liverpool, Ohio. He was, however, raised in Lansing, Michigan, where he spent a year in an agricultural college, going from there to the composing room of the "Lansing Democrat." At the outbreak of the war he enlisted in the service, remained during the entire war, and then returned to Lansing. The explosion of the boiler that '' blew him into fame," took place two years later, while he was on his way south. When he recovered physically, he brought suit for damages against the steamboat company, which he gained, and was awarded a verdict of twelve thousand dollars for injuries received. It was while he was employed by the " Jacksonian" of Pontiac, Mich.,that he set up his account of how he felt while being blown up. He says that he signed it "M Quad," because "a bourgeoise em quad is useless except in its own line it won't justify with any other type." Soon after, because of the celebrity he attained by this screed, Mr. Lewis secured a place on the staff of the "Detroit Free Press," and made for that paper a wide reputation. His sketches of the "Lime Kiln Club" and "Brudder Gardner" are perhaps the best known of his humorous writings. ["A Biographical Record of Boone County, Iowa", 1902, Pages 193 & 194 - transcribed by Genealogy Trails Host Peggy Thompson.]
Edwin H. Minard
Among the pioneers of Neosho county and veterans of the civil war is E. H. Minard, the person whose name introduces this brief record. He was born in Medina county, Ohio, April 29, 1842, and is the second born in a family of eight children. His father was Milton D. Minard, a native of Ohio, and his mother was Hannah E. Smith, a lady of New York birth. Milton D. Minard was by trade a cabinet maker. In 1842 he settled in Victoria, Illinois, on the frontier, and in 1861 he enlisted in Company H, 51st Illinois infantry for service in the civil war. In 1868 he came to Kansas, again casting his lot with the people of the prairie pioneers. He settled in Crawford county and there died in 1876 at the age of seventy-eight years. His widow survives and resides with her son, our subject.
Edwin H. Minard was reared in Knox county, Illinois, and received such education as the country schools there afforded. He learned the trade of carpenter and cabinet-maker and was employed at the same when the war came on, August 1, 1862, he enlisted in Company K, 83rd Illinois infantry and was discharged from the service in July, 1865. He participated in the second battle of Fort Donelson in February, 1863, and was in other smaller engagements and skirmishes of the war. Owing to his height he always stood number two in his company, there being one other in the ranks of the same height or taller. In October of 1865 Mr. Minard came to Kansas and stopped in Fort Scott where he worked at his trade till the 9th of April, 1863, when, having returned to his Illinois home, he was married to Miss Mary Harris. He brought his young wife to his Kansas "claim" in Crawford county, where they remained in the act of improving a home and fulfilling the law's requirements for a title to the land. In 1871 he sold his farm and engaged in coal mining at Fort Scott four years. In 1880 he removed to St. Paul and has since been occupied with the building and construction of houses and doing other things in line of his trade. Wagon and carriage repair, and manufacture now employs his attention. Mr. and Mrs. Minard had three children born to them but only one survives, viz., William, a resident of Adelle, Oregon. Mr. Minard is a Republican and is a member of G. K. Warren Post, No. 114, Grand Army of the Republic. [Source: History of Neosho and Wilson Counties, Kansas, Pub. by L. Wallace Duncan, Fort Scott, Kansas, Monitor Printing Co., 1902; transcribed by VB]
William Henry Nugent
William Henry Nugent, who is the proprietor of a popular service station in Medina, is a member of one of the oldest families of Medina County. He was born on a farm northeast of Medina, Aug. 17, 1868, the son of Patrick and Elizabeth (Nolan) Nugent. Patrick Nugent was born in Dublin, Ireland, March 17, 1828. He emigrated to the United States in 1846 and located at Medina, where he remained until his enlistment for service during the Civil War. He served throughout the entire war period and was discharged in April, 1865. Mr. Nugent was married in 1852 to Miss Elizabeth Nolan, the daughter of Daniel Nolan, also a native of Ireland. To Mr. and Mrs. Nugent were born the following children: Ellen, married Edward Letterly, who died in 1921; James, born in 1855, address unknown; Frank, born in 1866, lives at Wadsworth, Ohio; Mary, who died in 1926; William Henry, the subject of this sketch; Edward, born in 1872, died in Medina in 1910; Anna, married William Kerins, lives at Cleveland, Ohio; Clara, married Harry Wilkison, lives at Medina; Daniel, born in 1878, lives at Medina; and Owen, born in 1880, lives at Medina. William Henry Nugent attended school at Windfall in Medina County. At an early age he became interested in business at Medina as a paving and sewer contractor, and continued in that particular line of work for more than 25 years. Since 1922 he has owned and operated a gasoline service station on South Court Street. On Feb. 17, 1928, Mr. Nugent married Mrs. Alberta Binns, the daughter of Harrison Plummer, of Pickaway County, Ohio. They have no children. Politically, Mr. Nugent is a Republican, and he is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He is the owner of a well improved farm of 140 acres in Pickaway County, which is located 12 miles southwest of Circleville, Ohio, and spends much of his leisure time in its management. ["HISTORY OF NORTH CENTRAL OHIO: : embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne, Medina, Lorain, Huron and Knox Counties" by William A. Duff, 1931 - G.T. Transcription Team]
Leonard Earl Rickard
Leonard Earl Rickard, who is mayor of Wadsworth, is a widely known citizen of Medina County, and a member of one of the oldest families of North Central Ohio. He was born in Wadsworth, Feb. 20, 1881, the son of John H. and Lavina (Kyle) Rickard.
John H. Rickard was born in Westmoreland County, Pa., Dec. 22, 1846, the son of Daniel and Christina (Hunker) Rickard. Daniel Rickard was a native of Bucks County, Pa., and was of German descent. He was among the first settlers of Medina County. His wife was born in Germany. They were the parents of nine children, as follows: John H., father of the subject of this sketch; Isaac; David; Mrs. Kate Pelton; Mrs. Sarah Kopes; Emanuel; Daniel W.; Mrs. Emma Tinsman; and Abraham H.
John H. Rickard has been a resident of Wadsworth since 1873 and for several years engaged in the meat business here. He now lives retired.
L. Earl Rickard was educated in the public schools of Wadsworth. For a number of years he engaged in business in this city but disposed of his interests in 1919 on account of ill health. He spent the following two years in the local postoffice and from 1922 until 1923 was a member of the city council. Mr. Rickard then was elected clerk of courts of Medina County during the following four years. He has served as mayor of Wadsworth since January, 1930. He has been identified with the First National Bank of Wadsworth as a director since 1914 and is now vice president of that institution.
On April 7, 1902, Mr. Rickard married Miss Lucretia Jennings, of Copley, Ohio, the daughter of Edward and Etta (Reimer) Jennings, both deceased. They have a daughter, Hilda, who is a graduate of Hood College, Maryland. She was a teacher in the high school at Medina before her marriage in 1929 to Paul C. Weick, attorney, of Akron, Ohio. They have a son, Paul Albert.
Mr. Rickard is a member of the Reformed Church of Wadsworth and has been on the official board since 1914. He is now clerk and a member of board of trustees. He belongs to Wadsworth Lodge, F. & A. M., No. 385, of which he is a Past Master, having been Master in 1910. He has been secretary-treasurer of Woodlawn Cemetery for eleven years. In 1929 he was elected mayor of Wadsworth, which office he now holds. ["HISTORY OF NORTH CENTRAL OHIO: : embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne, Medina, Lorain, Huron and Knox Counties" by William A. Duff, 1931 - G.T. Transcription Team]
Willard D. Thomas
Willard D. Thomas, who is assistant postmaster of Wadsworth, is a veteran of the World War and a member of an honored pioneer family of Medina County. He was born at Wadsworth, Feb. 13, 1898, the son of Lewis C. and Mamie C. (Lucas) Thomas.
Lewis C. Thomas was born at Thomastown, now a part of Akron, Ohio, July 14, 1874, and spent his early life there. He was the son of John and Emily (Hamlin) Thomas. The former was a native of Wales and came to the United States in middle life and settled at Thomastown, Ohio, where he engaged in coal mining. Later he purchased a farm near Hamtown, Summit County, where he spent the remainder of his life. He died at the age of 80 years, and his wife, a native of England, died in 1921, at the age of 84 years. Both are buried at Akron. They were the parents of nine children, of whom Lewis C., the father of the subject of this sketch, was the youngest. He was married Nov. 24, 1897, at Doylestown, Ohio, to Mamie C. Lucas, who still resides in the old Lucas homestead in Wadsworth Township, where she was born, June 2, 1879. She is the daughter of Samuel and Susan (Long) Lucas. Samuel Lucas was born at Mt. Jackson, Va., and came to Wadsworth Township about 1875. For a number of years he engaged in general farming and stock raising and at the time of his death in 1928 was living retired at Wadsworth. His wife was born in Wadsworth Township, Feb. 19, 1849, and died March 20, 1928. Both are buried in Woodlawn Cemetery, Wadsworth. Susan (Long) Lucas was the daughter of David and Catherine (Snyder) Long, who were natives of Westmoreland County, Pa. David Long was two years old when his parents came to Ohio and settled on a farm south of Wadsworth. They were among the first families to settle in Richland County and became prosperous farmers.
To Lewis C. and Mamie C. (Lucas) Thomas were born six children:
1. Willard D., the subject of this sketch. 2. Harold, born Aug. 28, 1899, unmarried, lives at home. 3. Wayne, born Nov. 20, 1902, unmarried, lives at home. 4. Glenn E., born Dec. 24, 1905, employed in the Akron office of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, lives at home. 5. Leonard W., born May 11, 1909, employed with the B. & F. Rubber Company at Akron. 6. Catherine Eileen, born Feb. 27, 1921.
Willard D. Thomas received his education in the public schools of Wadsworth and entered the employ of the Ohio Match Company, Wadsworth, after his graduation from high school in 1916. During the World War he enlisted for service in April, 1918, and served as a member of Battery B, 73rd Artillery, being stationed at Fort Adams, R. I. He was later transferred to Camp Mills, N. Y., and sailed for France Aug. 2, 1918. After the close of the war he returned to the United States and was discharged from Camp Sherman, Ohio, Feb. 12, 1919. Mr. Thomas was then employed by the Ohio Injector Company at Wadsworth until April, 1924, when he entered the local post office as a clerk. He was appointed assistant postmaster on July 1, 1927.
On March 17, 1926, Mr. Thomas was united in marriage with Miss Pauline Derhammer, a graduate of Wadsworth High School, class of 1924. She is the daughter of William and Delsie (Boyer) Derhammer; the former is deceased, and the latter lives at Wadsworth. She is now the wife of Charles Keckler. Mr. and Mrs. Thomas have a daughter, Marjorie Jean, born Oct. 28, 1927.
Mr. Thomas is a Republican and a member of the Medina County Republican Club. He holds membership in the Lutheran Church and belongs to the Lions Club, and the American Legion, Post No. 170. ["HISTORY OF NORTH CENTRAL OHIO: : embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne, Medina, Lorain, Huron and Knox Counties" by William A. Duff, 1931 - G.T. Transcription Team]
Donald M. Webb
Donald M. Webb is widely known in newspaper circles in Medina County as editor of The Wadsworth News. He was born at Alliance, Ohio, Oct. 17, 1899.
Mr. Webb attended the public schools of Alliance, Ohio, and spent two years at Mt. Union College after his graduation from high school in 1918. He was graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 1922, and began his newspaper career with the Pittsburgh Gazette Times. In 1923 he went to Salem, Ohio, where he spent one year on the Salem News. His next work was with the Free Press at Carroliton, Ohio, and from there he went to North Canton, Ohio, with the Canton Sun. Subsequently, he was located at Amherst, Ohio, with the Amherst News Times, and remained with that publication for almost three years. Mr. Webb has been identified with the Wadsworth News as manager since July, 1930, and is a stockholder in the company.
Politically, Mr. Webb is a Republican. He is a member of the Methodist Church. ["HISTORY OF NORTH CENTRAL OHIO: : embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne, Medina, Lorain, Huron and Knox Counties" by William A. Duff, 1931 - G.T. Transcription Team]
Worth D. Westenbarger
Widely known throughout Medina County is Worth D. Westenbarger, who is a veteran of the World War, and serving as postmaster of Wadsworth. He was born at Dallas, N. C., Nov. 17, 1896, the son of Rev. Benjamin L. and Bessie (Smyre) Westenbarger.
Rev. Benjamin L. Westenbarger is a native of Fairfield County, Ohio, born July 16, 1866. He was educated at Capitol University at Columbus and is a graduate of the St. Paul's Lutheran Seminary of Hickory, N. C., class of 1892. For more than 35 years he has been a minister of the Lutheran Church, and was formerly pastor of the Acme and Loyal Oak Lutheran churches. He is now located at Magnolia, Ohio. He was married in 1892 to Miss Bessie lola Smyre. His wife was born at Conover, N. C., Oct. 16, 1875. She is a graduate of Lenoir College at Hickory, N. C. To Reverend and Mrs. Westenbarger were born six children, as follows: Richard, lives at Royal Oak, Mich.; Worth D., the subject of this sketch; Rev. Louis C., a graduate of Wittenberg College and Hanna Divinity College, of Springfield, Ohio, class of 1928, now has charges at Bolivar and Zoarville, Ohio; William, an actor, whose stage name is "Billy Smyre"; Mary Ellen, a graduate of Wittenberg College, now a teacher in the centralized high school at Springfield; and Francis, a student.
Worth D. Westenbarger was educated in the public schools of Wadsworth and was graduated from high school in 1917. During his early high school career he served as "devil" in the Banner Press office. He enlisted for service during the World War, Sept. 6, 1918, and was sent to Camp Sherman, Ohio, as a member of Company G, 379th Depot Brigade, being discharged Aug. 22, 1919, with the rank of sergeant. For a number of years Mr. Westenbarger was employed by the Ohio Injector Company as paymaster and in charge of employment. From 1921 until 1925 he served as clerk of the board of public affairs, and on Jan. 7, 1929, assumed the duties of postmaster of Wadsworth. He succeeded Harry L. Liebhart, who served five years in that office.
On Aug. 22, 1922, Mr. Westenbarger married Miss Alma Beck, the daughter of William Beck, of Wadsworth. They have two sons, Glenn Robert, born in 1925; and Don Edward, born in 1928.
Mr. Westenbarger is a member of the Lutheran Church, where he serves as an elder on the council, chairman of the finance committee and treasurer of ministerial pension fund. He is a prominent member of the American Legion, having served as commander for one and one half years and as adjutant for two terms. He is also a member of Wadsworth Lodge, No. 385, F. & A. M. ["HISTORY OF NORTH CENTRAL OHIO: : embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne, Medina, Lorain, Huron and Knox Counties" by William A. Duff, 1931 - G.T. Transcription Team]
William Henry Wetherbee
WETHERBEE, William Henry, lawyer; born, Stone Hill, (Medina Co.), O., Sept. 8, 1858; son of Cyrus W. and Hannah M. (Thomas) Wetherbee; educated in public schools of Cleveland and private and night schools of Detroit; married, Detroit, Oct. 15, 1888, Martha M. Noble. Came to Detroit with parents, 1870; began study of law in office. of Claude N. Riopelle at 19 and continued for one year; studied in office of Horace E. Burt nearly a year when he entered employ of Lester Peacock, in coal and wood business, to recuperate financially; continued in commercial business for twelve years, at the same time continuing the study of law; was admitted to the bar, 1891, and has since practiced in Detroit; instructor, member board of trustees and treasurer Detroit College of Law; director Simon J. Murphy Co., Murphy Heater Co., Murphy Power Co., Murphy Storage and Ice Co. Chief census enumerator, 1894; member Michigan legislature, 1897-98. Republican. Congregationalist. Member Detroit and Michigan State Bar Associations. Mason. Club: Y. M. C. A. Recreations: Automobiling, power boating. Office: Penobscot Bldg. Residence: 59 Langley Av. [Source: "The Book of Detroiters" by Albert Nelson Marquis 1908 - CW - Sub by FoFG]