Miami County, Ohio
M. BELLE BROWN
BROWN, Miss M. Belle, physician and surgeon, born in Troy, Ohio, 1st March, 1850. She was educated in the high school of her native town, and in the Oxford Female College, Oxford, Ohio. Her ancestor, Chad Brown, emigrated from England to Providence, R. I., in the year of his arrival. He was one of a committee of four to prepare the first written form of government adopted and continued in force until 1644, when Roger Williams returned from England with the charter and Chad Brown was the first one of the thirty-nine who signed that charter. In 1642 he was ordained the first settled pastor of the Baptist Church. His great grandsons, John and James, repurchased a part of the land that had originally belonged to him and presented it to the college of Rhode Island. In 1770 the corner-stone of University Hall was laid by John Brown. In 1804 the name of that institution was changed to Brown University. Doctor Brown commenced the study of medicine in 1874. In 1876 she went to New York and entered the New York Medical College and Hospital for Women. She was graduated in 1879 and entered immediately upon a general practice in West 34th street, New York, where she still resides. She is one of the few women in medicine who practice surgery. She makes a specialty of diseases of women, and is professor of diseases of women in the New York Medical College and Hospital for Women, and is also secretary of the faculty of that institution. She is a member of the American Institute of Homoeopathy of the New York County Medical Society, a member of the consulting staff of the Memorial Hospital in Brooklyn, and of the New York Homeopathic Sanitarium Association. ["American Women Fifteen Hundred Biographies" Vol 1 Publ. 1897 - Transcribed by Marla Snow]
Farmer and tile manufacturer, at Macy, was born in Piqua County, Ohio, April 8, 1830. He was the son of Joseph and Martha Ann (Baggs) Champ, natives of Kentucky and Virginia respectively, the former of Scotch-Irish and the latter of German descent. The father of our subject died when the latter was but seven years old. When he was ten years old his widowed mother and five children came to this county and first located at Peru. That was in 1840. Five years later they located upon the present site of Somerset, Wabash County and erected the first house in that place. In about 1848 they returned to Peru. They removed to a farm in Kosciusko County in 1850. About two years later they removed to Cass County and located in the vicinity of the Huldah Iron Works, four miles east of Logansport. John took a position in that establishment, which he continued to hold four years. In 1856 he and his mother located upon a farm in Adams Township, Cass County. In 1864 he removed to a farm which he had purchased in Fulton County. In February 1865, he enlisted in Company F., 151st Indiana Volunteers, from which he received an honorable discharge in the following November. In the spring of 1876 he again came to this county and this time located at Macy. He owns a farm adjoining that place which he superintends, and in connection with this he is engaged quite extensively in the manufacture of tile, having entered into a partnership in that business in 1878, with Peter Carey. June 23,1859, he was married to Sarah M. Scott, a native of Preble County, Ohio, born March 18, 1839. She was the daughter of Daniel and Ellen M. (Dilhorn) Scott, natives of New Jersey and Pennsylvania, the former of Scotch and the latter of English descent. Mr. and Mrs. Champ have never had any children of their own, but are the foster parents of eight children, six of whom are living. Out subject and his wife have been members of the Christian Church over thirty years. The former is a member of the F. & A. M. and G. A. R. Lodges and a Prohibitionist in politics. In the fall of 1876 he was elected to the office of Justice of the Peace and served one term. He is an industrious and successful farmer and business man and a worthy and honored citizen. ["History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present ..."; By Brant & Fuller, Chicago; Contributed by Barb Zigenmeyer]
HOWARD E. COFFIN
COFFIN, Howard E., engineering and vice president E. R. Thomas Detroit Co.; born at West Milton, O., (Miami Co) Sept. 6, 1873; son of Julius V. and Sarah E. (Jones) Coffin; educated at University of Michigan, 1893-96 and 1900-02; married, Battle Creek, (Calhoun Co) Oct. 30, 1907, Matilda V. Allen. Began active career in United States civil service, continuing, 1896-1900; was chief of experimental department Olds Motor Works, Detroit, 1902-05, and chief engineer same, 1905-06; vice president and engineer E. R. Thomas Detroit Co., manufacturers of motor cars, since 1906. Also consulting engineer E. R. Thomas Motor Co., Buffalo, N.Y. Member Society of Automobile Engineers, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Detroit Engineering Society. Clubs: Detroit Boat, Detroit Automobile. Recreations: Motor boating and automobiling. Office: E. R. Thomas Detroit Co. Residence: 434 Cadillac Av. ["The Book of Detroiters". Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis Copyright, 1908 - CW- Sub by FoFG]
WILLIAM NORRIS EDWARDS
Mr. Edwards was born in Pittsfield, Mass., July 4, 1812 and graduated at Williams College . The writer became acquainted with him about a quarter of a century ago when he conducted a private academy in Dayton . Ohio . In 1852, he became superintendent of the public schools of Troy, Ohio, and continued to serve the people acceptably until his sudden death, August 3, 1807. He had a strong hold upon the confidence and affection of the people of Troy . His funeral was largely attended, many of the business houses being closed, and private residences being draped in mourning. Those who for many years met Mr. Edwards in the meetings of the State Teachers' Association, learned to appreciate his worth. He was elected president of the Association in 1801, but did not preside at the next meeting, being detained at home by illness. Mr. Edwards was a man of great culture, and his deliberation before he acted or recommended action made him a safe counselor. He will long be remembered with gratitude by the pupils trained under his guidance, and with the highest respect by his fellow teachers. [Source: Educational History of Ohio by James J. Burns. Published 1905 - Submitted by a FoFG]
CAPTAIN ABSALOM M. ENOCH
Absalom M. Enoch is one of the best known characters of Humboldt, Richardson county, where he has made his residence since Thanksgiving day, 1869. He is one of the many old men in whom the healthful, breezy prairies of Nebraska abounds, and whose energies and vital resources are almost unimpaired till the final summons comes. He is approaching the eightieth year of his life, and his active decades of life have been well spent and useful to himself and his fellow men. He is an especial favorite with everyone in Humboldt, and there is not a man, woman or child in the town who does not know him and will not sincerely miss him when he is gone from their number.
Mr. Enoch was born in Miami county, Ohio. September 18, 1825. His father, Jacob Enoch, was born in Pennsylvania, and pioneered it to Ohio and settled in the dense timber. He followed the occupation of hunter and trapper, with incidental Indian fighting. He was in the Black Hawk war in Illinois, and after returning to Ohio said that God had cleared the timber from that country and he accordingly moved out to the prairie state. He came out in 1835, and settled eight miles east of Rockford and six miles north of Belvidere, where he pre-empted and paid one dollar and a quarter an acre for one hundred and sixty acres. He continued farming until 1850, when he crossed the plains with ox teams to California, being some six months on the way, and died in that state in the following year, being buried in Hangtown, now Placerville. He married Mary Maddox, a cousin of the late well known Wilson Maddox, of Falls City. She was a native of Ohio, and they were married in 1824, their first child being Absalom; the second was Sarah, who died in youth in Ohio; Mary Jane became the wife of Dennis Clark, of Overton, Nebraska, who came to this state in an early day, and they have three sons and one daughter living.
Captain Enoch was reared in Ohio and Illinois, and for a time farmed the home place in Boone county of the latter state, and then sold it and bought another farm near Belvidere. He sold this in 1859 and went to Rochester, Minnesota, which was his home until he came to Nebraska. He has made a most creditable military record. He enlisted for the Civil war and was made captain in Company F, Ninth Minnesota Infantry, having raised that company, and he commanded it throughout the war. Part of his service was against the Sioux Indians, and he witnessed the hanging of thirty-nine of them convicted of murder. He was wounded during the Indian outbreak, and still carries a bullet in his right lung. He also saw hard fighting in the south, being present at the engagements at Guntown and Tupello, Mississippi, at the siege of Nashville, and in various minor skirmishes. He was in the Sixteenth Army Corps, which remained behind when Sherman made his march toward the sea. Captain Enoch's subsequent career has been mainly concerned with farming and hotel-keeping, and for twenty years he was proprietor of the Enoch House in Humboldt, but is now retired from active pursuits and spending the evening of a long and useful life in comfort and ease. Captain Enoch was married in Boone county, Illinois, January 1, 1850, to Miss Elizabeth Caulfield, a native of Ireland. She was born in 1826, and died in the home at Humboldt, in 1888, being without issue. Captain Enoch's present wife, whom he married in Falls City, was Miss Anna Brickey, who was born in Sullivan county, Indiana, a daughter of Peter and Mary (Brock) Brickey. Her father was a farmer and died in York, Illinois, in 1878, leaving three children: Thomas, whose whereabouts are not known; Mrs. Enoch; and Cora Brickey, of Kansas City. The mother of these children died in 1880.
Mrs. Enoch had only a limited education, and has had mainly to make her own way in life, which she has done most heroically and ably, and her youthful years and energy do not allow her to remain inactive now that she is independent. She is a most competent dressmaker, and is one of the leading ladies in that line of business in Humboldt. She is a member of the Catholic church, and is prominent in social circles. Captain Enoch is a Democrat in politics. He served as police judge of this place for many years, until he refused to serve longer. He has also been a justice of the peace, and for several terms was on the city council and chairman of the board. He was baptized in the Universalist church. He is still erect and sprightly in spite of his years and work in his own behalf and in the service of his country. [Source: "A Biographical and genealogical history of southeastern Nebraska" (1904) - Submitted by K. Torp]
STEPHEN FINNEY is a native of Miami County ,Ohio, born August 14, 1838, a son of John and Rebecca Finney, natives of Ohio, and of Irish descent. The same year of his birth his parents moved to Randolph County, Indiana, and in 1856, to Deer Creek Township. He married, November 1, 1859, Mary Larton, daughter of Israel and Sarah Larton, residents of Randolph County. By their union there are four children living: Rosa L., Ulysses, Orlando and Minnie. February 24, 1865, he enlisted in Company D, One Hundred and Fifty-First Regiment, Indiana Volunteers, and was placed in the Army of the Cumberland. He served until September 11, 1865. After his discharge he engaged in farming, in Deer Creek Township, until 1882, and then followed buying and shipping stock in Bunker Hill for one year. He is now a member of the only hardware firm in Bunker Hill, that of Finney & Clem. They do a thriving business. Mr. Finney is a member of John M. Wilson Post, No. 112, G. A. R., and in every respect a most exemplary citizen. ["History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present ..."; By Brant & Fuller, Chicago; Contributed by Barb Zigenmeyer]
BENJAMIN O. HAMILTON
Benjamin O. Hamilton, contractor and builder of Galveston, was born in Troy, Miami county, Ohio, October 2, 1824, being a son of Isaac and Sylvia Russell Hamilton, natives of Virginia and Massachusetts respectively. His father was a steamboat pilot, running for many years on the Ohio and Mississippi rivers until his death, of yellow fever, at Vicksburg, in 1840. Isaac Hamilton was a son of James Hamilton, a native of Scotland, who emigrated to American in Colonial times.
Benjamin O. Hamilton was the youngest of a family of five children. He was reared in Cincinnati, Ohio, where his parents settled during his infancy, and at the age of fourteen was apprenticed to the carpenters trade under his eldest brother, Russell C, which trade he followed at Cincinnati and in that vicinity for several years.
In 1852, while in Newport, Kentucky (across the river from Cincinnati), Mr. Hamilton was introduced to General Sidney Sherman, who at that time was on a trip in the East in the interest of the newly projected Texas railway, the Buffalo Bayou, Brazos & Colorado rivers road, and was induced by that gentleman to come out and take charge of the construction of the bridges, water tanks and depots along the line of the road. Mr. Hamilton arrived in Galveston October 26, 1852, and for two years following was employed as superintendent of bridges and buildings on the above mentioned railway, during which time, and until General Sherman's death, his relations with that gentleman were of the most cordial nature. Mr. Hamilton spent the winter of 1854-5 engaged in repairing steamboats for Captain J. H. Sterrett, who then owned and operated a line of vessels on the bay and Buffalo bayou. He later entered the employ of Lieutenant W. H. Stephens, inspector of lighthouses on the Texas coast, and for five years was engaged in building and repairing lighthouses, erecting during that time the lighthouses at Sabine, Aransas Pass, Pass Cavalla, Corpus Christi, and two screw-pile lighthouses on Matagorda bay; was in lighthouse employ from 1855 to 1S60, then began contracting.
In 1855 Mr. Hamilton settled permanently in Galveston and took up the business of general contracting and building, at which he had made a promising start when the war came and put an end to all kinds of building enterprises. He volunteered in the Confederate army and was placed in the J marine department, where he was assigned to detail duty in repairing and reconstructing merchant vessels, rendering them suitable for the defense of the Texas coast. He served at this with greater or less regularity until the close of hostilities, when he resumed operations as a builder and contractor, which he has followed without interruption and with a fair measure of success since that time. In the twenty-nine years that Mr. Hamilton has been engaged in contracting and building in Galveston since the war, he has done a vast deal for the building interests of the city, evidences of his activity and workmanship existing on every hand, were it necessary or in keeping with the character and purpose of this article to cite them. With an adequate knowledge of his business, and an honest desire to meet every obligation, whether included in the "specifications" or not, he has established himself in the confidence and good will of the people of Galveston in such a way as to need no factitious introduction from others.
On January 23, 1851, Mr. Hamilton married Miss Abia A. Moore, of Cincinnati, Ohio, and the issue of this union has been three daughters and two sons, four of whom, Ella, wife of J. H. Fletcher, of Houston; Jessie N., wife of A. H. Meier, of Cincinnati, Ohio; Walter S. and Benjamin O., Jr., of Galveston, are living, and one,— Fannie,—deceased.
Mr. Hamilton is a prominent Mason, having taken all the degrees in the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, up to and including the thirty-second. He also has the Chapter degrees; is Past Master of Harmon Lodge, No. 6, F. & A. M.; Past High Priest of San Felipe de Austin Chapter, R. A. M.; Past Venerable Master of Lodge of Perfection, Scottish Rite, No. 1, and Past Wise Master of L. M. Oppenheimer Chapter Rose Croix, No. 2. He has always taken great interest in Masonic matters, and having learned the work thoroughly in the beginning, has been very helpful to beginners. [History of Texas, together with a biographical history of the cities of Houston and Galveston, etc., Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1895. Transcribed by Genealogy Trails staff]
JOHN W. HILL
John W. Hill, farmer; P.O. Pleasant Hill; born in 1824 on the same farm he now resides on; is a son of Nathan Hill, Sr., a native of Maryland and an immigrant to this place with his parents when a mere boy; his grandfather was among the first settlers of Newton Township. Our subject's early life was that of a farmer boy; he remained at home assisting in the farm duties till his marriage, which occurred at the age of 19, with Miss Susan Weddle; Mr. Hill, after this event of his life, began farming on his present place; here he has continued the pursuit of agriculture, with eminent success, for over a third of a century; he has a most beautiful farm, under the best modern improvements, and has erected on it one of the finest brick residences in the township. His wife, Susan, died Jan. 4,1874; she was a faithful member of the Christian Church of Pleasant Hill, and her death was a loss to the whole community; she is buried in the beautiful Pleasant Hill Cemetery; eight children were born, seven of whom are still living, and six of whom are married; all are settled in the community but one; their names are as follows: Henry H., Sarah J. (married to Dr. Kiester, of Arcanum), Isaac N., John C., Eunice E. (Longanecker), James M., Mary E. (Billows).
Mr. Hill's second marriage was celebrated Oct. 15, 1874 with Mrs. Josephine Conway, formerly Miss Josephine Banta, a native of Preble Co., Ohio; she has one daughter, a teacher in the public school of Pleasant Hill, and Mr. and Mrs. Hill are both members of the Christian Church of Pleasant Hilll, and Mr. Hill holds a deaconship in the same; he is President of the Temperance Association of this place, which bespeaks him an ardent supporter of the Temperance cause. He is a member of A.F. & A.M. fraternity of Pleasant Hill. ["The history of Miami County, Ohio"; Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1880 - Submitted to Genealogy Trails by Norita Shepherd Moss, who adds the following research notes:
#1 - Father: Nathan Hill b. 15 Mar. 1788 in Elliott Mills, MD
Mother: Frances Williams b. ca 1790
Marriage 1 - Susan Weddle b. aft. 1825 in 1843 in Miami Co., Ohio
Henry H. Hill
James Madison Hill b. ca 1854 in Ohio
Sarah J. Hill
Isaac N. Hill
John C. Hill
Eunice E. Hill
Mary E. Hill
Unknown Hill b. aft. 1853
1850 United States Census - Pleasant Hill - Miami Co., OH
Hill, William Self M Male W 55 b. OH Retired Farmer Fath. b. MD Moth. b. SC
Hill, Josephine Wife M Female W 41 b. OH Keeping House Fath. b. OH Moth b. OH
Hill, J. Madison Son S Male W 26 b. OH Works on Farm Fath. b. OH Moth b. OH
* The following family is living next door to William Hill family above and may be a son or younger brother of William Hill.
1880 United States Census - Pleasant Hill, Miami Co., Ohio
Hill, J. Calvin Self M Male W 30 b. OH Laborer Fath. b. OH Moth. b. OH
Hill, Ella Wife M Female W 25 b. OH Keeping House Fath b. OH Moth b. PA
Hill, Arthur Son S Male W 2 b. OH Fath b. OH Moth. b. OH
REV. ALLEN JAY
One of the most prominent ministers of the Society of Friends is Rev. Allen Jay, who is known throughout the entire country among the people of his denomination. He was born in Miami county, Ohio, on the 11th of October, 1831, and is a son of Isaac and Rhoda (Cooper) Jay. The family is of English origin, and its members have long been orthodox Quakers. The father was a native of Miami county, born February 19, 1811, on the old homestead which had been settled by his father at a very early period in the history of the Buckeye state. There he was reared, and when he was married he took his bride to the old home place. He carried on agricultural pursuits for many years. For thirty-five years he was connected with the ministry of the Friends' church and traveled extensively over the country, preaching the doctrines in which he so firmly believed. He also engaged in teaching for a few years after his marriage, and possessed a good education for that day. In his evangelistic work he visited all sections of the United States and won the love and confidence of the Friends throughout the country. He was a member of the representative meeting, clerk of the quarterly meeting and filled many other offices. In 1850 he sold his property in Ohio, and removed with his entire family to Indiana, locating at Marion, Grant county, where he died in 1880. He had four sons and one daughter, Allen, of this review being the eldest. Milton, a prominent physician of Chicago, was for some time dean of the Bennett Eclectic Medical College of that city, in fact was one of its organizers. He resigned his position, however, in 1890, and afterward served as director of the Cook county hospital. He is one of the most able physicians of Chicago, especially skilled in surgery, and is now leading surgeon of the Rock Island Railroad Company. Walter D. died on a farm near Marion, Grant county, Indiana, when thirty-seven years of age. Abijah formerly followed farming, but sold out and is now a general business man of Marion, Indiana. Mary E. is the wife of Asa Baldwin, and a minister of the Friends meeting, of Marion, Indiana.
Rev. Allen Jay spent his boyhood days under the parental roof and attended school through the winter seasons, while in the summer months he assisted in the cultivation of the fields. After the removal of the family to Marion, this state, in 1850, he entered Friends' boarding school (now Earlham College) at Richmond, where he spent some time, then was a student in the Farmers' Institute, at Lafayette, Indiana, for one year. He next became a student in Antioch College, where he remained until the spring of 1854, when he turned his attention to farming. He located on a tract of land on the Wea plains, near Lafayette, and there carried on agricultural pursuits until 1867. In 1864 he became a minister in the Friends' meeting, and through the three successive years both farmed and preached. In the autumn of 1867 he was appointed superintendent of a work projected by the "Baltimore Association of Friends," under the presidency of Francis Y. King. The war had left Friends, in common with other people, destitute in North Carolina and Tennessee, and Mr. Jay was appointed to ascertain their needs and improve their condition. Making his home at High Point, North Carolina, he traveled extensively over those two states, alleviating the temporal sufferings of the Friends, building up churches, establishing schools, preaching and teaching among the people of those districts. He established thirty-one schools, with an enrollment of three thousand students, and told the gospel message to the people in many districts. He had the oversight of the work embraced within nine churches in Tennessee, and twenty-two in North Carolina, and during most of the time his work necessitated his driving from place to place, so that this period was not without its hardships; yet he regards it as the greatest work of his life.
After eight years of such service Mr. Jay turned his work over to the yearly meeting of North Carolina. In 1875 he went to Europe, visiting the churches in England, Scotland, Ireland and Norway. In 1877 he went to Providence, Rhode Island, where he served as treasurer and minister of the Friends' boarding school, which had an enrollment of two hundred and fifty boys and girls. There he remained for four years, after which he came to Earlham College, in 1881, acting as superintendent and treasurer, while his wife filled the position of matron. For six years he labored in that institution, during which time he raised a large amount of money for the school and for the erection of two substantial and commodious college buildings, Lindley and Parry Halls. In 1887 he removed to his new home near the college, and has since served as one of its trustees and as solicitor for the college, raising money in all parts of this country and in England and Ireland for the institution. He has for six years been superintendent of the evangelistic and pastoral work of the Indiana yearly meeting, retiring from that position in 1895. He has visited all the yearly meetings of the Friends Society in the world and is well known throughout this country in connection with his church work.
Mr. Jay was united in marriage to Miss Martha Ann Sleeper, who was a native of Ohio, but when two years old was taken by her parents to Tippecanoe county, Indiana, where she was married in 1854. Five children have been born to them: Rhoda died at the age of six years. Charles died at the age of fifteen months. William died in West Richmond, in 1897. He was graduated at the Providence boarding school, studied medicine under the direction of his uncle, Dr. Milton Jay, of Chicago, and was graduated in the Bennett Medical College of that city in 1882. He practiced for six years in Richmond and then removed to New Sharon, Iowa, where he successfully practiced until 1896, when, on account of failing health, he retired. He died in 1897, at the age of thirty-seven years. Edwin is a farmer, living near Richmond, Indiana. Isaac is with his father in Richmond.
Rev. Allen Jay is now serving as preacher of the East Main Street Friends meeting, a position he has occupied for the past eleven years, the society having no regular preacher. Thus almost his entire life has been devoted to the work of instructing men in the higher things of life, and his labors have been followed by excellent results; but who can measure the influence for good? Not until the heavenly record is read will it be known how great is the work that he has accomplished. His own career, in perfect harmony with his teachings, has won him the love and respect of all, and he well deserves mention in the history of his adopted county.
Since writing the foregoing sketch, Mr. Jay's wife has passed away. The following obituary notice we quote from the American Friend:
Martha Ann Jay, a daughter of Buddell and Elizabeth H. Sleeper, was born tenth month, 22d, 1833, in Clark county, Ohio, and died at her home, opposite Earlham College, Richmond, Indiana, fourth month, 27th, 1899, aged sixty-five years, six months and five days-Her parents moved to Tippecanoe county, Indiana, when she was two years old. She was married to Allen Jay on ninth month, 20th, 1854, and they settled on a farm near the old home, where their five children were born, and the two eldest died, the third one dying fifteen months ago in the same room she died in. In 1868 she, with her husband, moved to Bush Hill (now Archdale), North Carolina. After nine years they moved to Friends' Boarding School, Providence, Rhode Island. After spending four years there, in 1881 they went to Earlham College, where she served as matron for six years, and then retired to the home where she died. Martha A. Jay was of a retiring disposition, never seeking popularity. Converted at the age of seventeen, she endeavored to carry Christianity in all her life work. She was much interested in humane work among the children, the birds and all dumb animals; for several years had a band of mercy in her own home and one in the Orphan Home near by. She was appointed an elder at an early age, and held that position in the four different yearly meetings to which she belonged. She was a great strength to her husband, who was, as a minister, often called to labor away from home; she never murmured at the separation, but encouraged him to faithfulness when the Master called. She bore a long illness with Christian resignation; the closing hours were peaceful; the last audible words were: "Blessed! Blessed!" "Blessed are the dead that die in the Lord: " ["Biographical and genealogical history of Wayne, Fayette, Union and Franklin counties, Indiana .. (Vol 1) The Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago; 1899 - Submitted to Genealogy Trails by Norita Shepherd Moss]
Newton Township: HARVEY JONES, farmer; P.O. Laura; one of the early settlers; born in 1823 in Union Township; is a son of Jesse Jones, one of the pioneers, who was born in Georgia April 15, 1794; he is the son of Samuel and grandson of Francis Jones of North Carolina. Samuel raised eleven children, all of whom became heads of families, Jesse being the only surviving member. In 1805, Samuel, with his family, came to Ohio, locating north of West Milton, where he died at 84 years of age; his wife died at the age of 88 years. Jesse came to Ohio when 11 years old; his early life was that of a pioneer, and he has always been a farmer; married three times; his first wife, Jane Cothran was from South Carolina; his second Naomi (Tucker) Jones, was a native of Tennessee; his third wife, Betsy (Hayworth) Davis, was born June 13, 1800, in South Carolina; her parents came to this county in 1806, and located in this township. Harvey remained with his father until 21 years of age, after which he farmed the homestead one year, then purchased his present place, and erected a long house, which is now supplanted by a fine residence upon his well cultivated farm, brought to this condition by his own hard labor. His first wife, Rachel Hunt, was a daughter of Elijah Hunt, an early pioneer. She was a consistent Christian, and died in October, 1869. Of their nine children, six survive. His second wife, Mrs. Mary (Thompson) Richardson, was a native of Darke Co., and the widow of Josiah Richardson, who enlisted in the 69th, O.V.I., was fatally wounded near Georgia, taken to the hospital at Nashville, Tenn., where he died. Mr. and Mrs. Jones take a deep interest in the cause of religion, both being members of the Christian Church at Laura. ["The history of Miami County, Ohio" Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1880 - Submitted to Genealogy Trails by Norita Shepherd Moss]
GEORGE KAUFFMAN, deceased; was born on York Co., Penn., Nov. 13, 1821. His father, Peter Kauffman, and Elizabeth Hefflebauer, his mother, were both natives of Pennsylvania. Peter Kauffman followed the pursuit of agriculture; in 1830, he immigrated with his family to Ohio, and located on a farm in Montgomery Co., four miles north of Dayton, where he passed the remainder of his life, his death occurring September, 1872. He had a family of eight children, only three of whom survive. Mrs. Kauffman died some thirteen or fourteen years ago. The subject of this sketch was the sixth child of the family, and was reared a farmer; he remained at home with his father till about twelve years ago, when he purchased three farms in this township, and on one of them moved; this is located in Sec. 3, Range 4. His death was caused by an accident. He was occupied in hauling his sugar cane to the factory; the barrel upon which he was sitting tilted, throwing him between the horses, frightening them so that they ran, dragging him with them, and injuring him so severely that he died the next day. Mr. Kauffman was a man of many sterling qualities; he was industrious and enterprising, and in business transactions was strictly honest. His death removed from the community a good citizen and a Christian gentleman. He was a member of the Christian Church. He was married in 1872 to Rebecca M. Brown, of Frederick Co., Md., who was born in 1847, and came to this county in 1868, locating near Troy. They had a family of one son and three daughters. . ["The history of Miami County, Ohio" Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1880 - Submitted to Genealogy Trails by Norita Shepherd Moss]
S. W. KIESTER
S. W. KIESTER, physician, Pleasant Hill; one of the prominent physicians of Miami Co.; was born in Newton Township in 1842; he is of English and German descent. Peter K., his father, was born in Pennsylvania, and emigrated to Ohio in the fall of 1840, locating near Pleasant Hill, in the vicinity of which he passed the rest of his days. He was united in marriage, in Pennsylvania, to Miss Mary Bashore, a native of Pennsylvania. Mr. Keister's death occurred Aug. 24, 1876, aged 59 years 9 months and 7 days; he is buried in the Pleasanat Hill Cemetery, and over his grave has been reared a large, beautiful and imposing monument of marble, commemorative of his life and death. Dr. Kiester's early life was that of a farmer boy; at the age of 17, he entered the National Normal Institute of Lebanon, and spent several subsequent summer as a student there, his winter months being devoted to teaching; at the age of 21, he turned his attention to the study of medicine, and entered the Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia, graduating at the age of 25; he located at Laura, in this county, and began the practice; after seven years of successful work, he sold out, and purchased the large farm on which he now resides, thinking to retire from the profession; but by request of his brother, he went with him to Arcanum, where he spent two years in practice, and then removed to his large farm in 1877; since then he has been engaged in managing and discharging the duties of his profession; his life is a fair illustration of what energy and correct business habits can accomplish. His nuptials were celebrated with Miss Sophia Williams Oct. 6, 1867; she is a great-granddaughter of Michael Williams, the first settler on the banks of the Stillwater, and granddaughter of Rev. John Williams, the pioneer preacher of the Upper Stillwater. One child, Pearl, was given to them Sept. 14, 1874. . ["The history of Miami County, Ohio" Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1880 - Submitted to Genealogy Trails by Norita Shepherd Moss]
JOSEPH KINZIE, farmer; P.O. Pleasant Hhill; was born in Union Township, in this county, in 1841; he is the third child of Zaccheus and Elizabeth (Albaugh) Kinzie. Zaccheus was born in Maryland, his ancestry coming from Germany. He came to this country with his parents when about 21 years old, and located in Montgomery Co. The subject of this sketch was brought up on a farm and his early training was that of a farmer, which has served him well through life; his early education was limited to the common school; he made his first move from the homestead in Union Township; in the spring of 1868, he took a trip West and was gone till the spring of 1870, when he returned to his native township; here he remained till the spring of 1873, when he went to Indiana; from there, in the spring of 1876, he came to his present place, which he purchased and has since successfully operated. Mr. Kinzie is a young man of enterprise and industry, and a useful member of society. He identifies himself with the Republican party. He was married in 1864 to Lavinia Bowlin of Pennsylvania; she came to this county in the spring of 1863. A son and daughter, Emma C. and Theodore, have been the issue of this union. ["The history of Miami County, Ohio" Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1880 - Submitted to Genealogy Trails by Norita Shepherd Moss]
CONRAD KRIEGBAUM, farmer and blacksmith, Laura; he was born in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, in December, 1834; he is the son of George P. Kriegbaum, who was born in 1800. He married Margaret Goetz in 1823; she was born in 1801, and died about four years ago; Mr. K. is still living at the advanced age of 80 years; he reared a family of ten children, five sons and five daughters, all living but one, and eight immigrated to this country and located in Ohio; our subject was the youngest son and was reared on a farm; he remained at home until he attained the age of 17, when he concluded to try his fortune in America; he embarked at Havre, France, and after a pleasant voyage of forty-six days, landed in New York City; from here he came direct to Springfield, Ohio, near where he located and began farming; the following spring he came to West Milton, this county, and entered an apprenticeship at the blacksmith trade; after serving three eyars, he worked as a journeyman until 1862, when he set up shop in Covington; he operated this until 1871, when he traded his residence for a farm on Panther Creek, in this township; this he sold in October, 1877, and purchased where he now resides; he combines with his farming blacksmithing. In the spring of 1862, he was married to Miss Susanna Smith, who was born in Pennsylvania and raised in Ohio; they have two children - Anna R. and Martha E.; Mr. K. is a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church, and Mrs. K. of the Shiloh Christian Church of this township. ["The history of Miami County, Ohio" Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1880 - Submitted to Genealogy Trails by Norita Shepherd Moss]
MORGAN LEONARD, farmer; P. O. Box Pleasant Hill; was born in Juniata Co., Penn., in 1848. He is the son of Reuben and Elizabeth (Ayergood) Leonard, both of Pennsylvania; Reuben is a farmer by occupation, and still lives in his native State. He had a family of eight sons and two daughters, one daughter died. The subject of this memoir was raised on a farm and educated in the common school; he remained at home occupied with farm duties till he immigrated to this State. He had a family of eight sons and two daughters, one daughter died. The subject of this memoir was raised on a farm and educated in the common school; he remained at home occupied with farm duties till he immigrated to this State in the fall of 1863; he located in Covington, and shortly found his way into the U.S. service, as a member of the 8th O.V.C.; he went first to Camp Dennison, and from there to West Charleston, W. Va., where he had his first experience in war; he next engaged in the battle of Louisburg, Gen. Averill commanding; was at Staunton, Liberty, Lynchburg at Hunter's defeat, again at Liberty and at Beverly, at which place he was severely wounded in the left though, which disabled him from further active duty; he was then placed in the hospital for a time at Beverly, and then at Grafton; he was discharged June 3, 1865, having served over one year; he returned to this county in the fall of 1868, and moved to his present place where he has since engaged in farming. In politics, he is a Republican. He was married in 1864 to Matilda Varner, daughter of Daniel G. and Elizabeth (Lecington) Varner. She was born Jan. 12, 1847, and came to this county with her father in 1858; he is a silversith, and carries on business at Covington; her mother died when she was only about 1 year old. Mr. and Mrs. Leonard have six sons and three daughters - two sons and one daughter are dead. ["The history of Miami County, Ohio" Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1880 - Submitted to Genealogy Trails by Norita Shepherd Moss]
MESSER LITTLEJOHN was born in Miami Co., Ohio, July 23, 1815, son of Henry and Sarah A. (Dunkin) Littlejohn, both natives of South Carolina, where they were partly reared. The Littlejohns moved from South Carolina to Pulaski Co., Ky., in about 1798, where they made their home until, the death of Charles Littlejohn, the grandfather of our subject, which occurred about 1819. The grandmother came to this county in about 1820, and for most part lived in this county ever afterward, dying at the advanced age of ninety-six years. Henry Littlejohn lived upon his father's farm in Kentucky until he reached his majority, when he went to Miami Co., Ohio, and there was married to Miss Dunkin. They lived in Miami Co. until the fall of 1818, when they came with their family to what is now Eel River Township, Greene Co. They came in wagons, Mr. Littlejohn hiring men to bring his household goods to the head-waters of White River, where they left him and went back. He proceeded to dig out six canoes, and putting his goods' and family in these, floated down White River until he came to Eel River, when he unloaded his goods and proceeded to make a home for himself on the present site of Point Commerce. He made some improvement on a lease he had taken, and after living in Eel River Township seven' years he moved to Jefferson Township, Owen County, building a grist and saw mill on Lick Creek. Here he lived until his death, dying in 1859. His wife died in 1856. He was an Old-Line Whig, and a strong anti-slavery man. He assisted to build block-houses to protect the settlers in war of 1812. He held the office of Justice of the Peace some sixteen years, and was a man well known and highly respected. (See Baber's History.) Subject raised on farm; common education; helped on farm and in mill. He was married to Miss Sarah Dunkin in 1837, August 28. She born in Miami County, Ohio, August 24, 1815. She died September 25, 1845. From this marriage three children, viz.: Mary, Isaac M. and Amos W. These two sons were in the late war, Isaac M. dying in his country's service. Mr. Littlejohn was married to Polly Fiscus February 15, 1846. She was born in Indiana April 16, 1824, and died February 5, 1883. From this union there were eleven children, viz.: Harriet, Nathan, Delona, Henry C., Jacob W., Sarah E., Ezra F., Lydia E., Cairy, Mahlon, Nancy E. Subject, after his first marriage, began milling and farming, which he followed until 1860, when he sold out mill and followed farming until the present. He has worked as a millwright a great deal during his lifetime. He has always worked hard and has made some property. He lived in Owen County until 1867, when he purchased a farm near Jasonville, in Greene County, which he now owns 124 acres. Always a Whig and Republican; member of Christian Church; never held office; is in favor of all improvements and all laudable enterprises. [Source: "History of Greene and Sullivan Counties, state of Indiana: from the earliest time to the present, together with interesting biographical sketches, reminiscences, notes, etc."; Chicago: Goodspeed Bros. & Co., 1884]