Montgomery County, Ohio
Genealogy and History
Helen Vickroy Austin
AUSTIN, Mrs. Helen Vickroy, journalist and horticulturist, born in Miamisburg, Montgomery countv, Ohio, in 1829. She is a daughter of Edwin Augustus and Cornelia Harlan Vickroy. Her family on both sides are people of distinction. Her mother was a daughter of the Hon George Harlan, of Warren county, Ohio. Her father was a son of Thomas Vickroy, of Pennsylvania, who was a soldier in the Revolution under Washington and an eminent surveyor and extensive land-owner. When Mrs. Austin was a child, the family removed to Pennsylvania and established a homestead in Ferndale, Cambria county. There her early life was passed. With an inherent love of nature, she grew up amid the picturesque scenes of the foothills of the Alleghany mountains, a poet in thought and an ardent lover of the beautiful. She was married in 1850 to William W. Austin, a native of Philadelphia, at that time residing at Richmond, Ind., in which delightful city they lived until, in 1885, the family went East, taking up their residence at Vineland, N. I. Although Mrs. Austin is a domestic woman, she has taken time to indulge her taste and promptings and has done considerable writing. Some of her best work has been for the agricultural and horticultural press, and her essays at the horticultural meetings and interest in such matters have given her a fame in horticultural circles. As a writer of sketches and essays and a reporter and correspondent Mrs. Austin has marked capacity. She is accurate and concise. Much of her work has been of a fugitive nature for the local press, but was worthy of a more enduring place. One of the marked characteristics of her nature is benevolence. She has given much time and used her pen freely in aid of philanthropic work. She has for many years been identified with the cause of woman suffrage, and the various institutions for the elevation and protection of woman have had her earnest help. Long before the temperance crusade she was a pronounced advocate of temperance and while in her teens was a “Daughter of Temperance.” Her philanthropic spirit makes her a friend to the negro and Indian. She is a life member of the National Woman’s Indian Rights Association. Mrs. Austin is the mother of three children. One of these, a daughter, is living. Her two sons died in childhood. [Source: "American Women" by Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Vol. 1, 1897.- MS - Sub by FoFG]
Eliam E. Barney
ELIAM E. BARNEY was the son of Benjamin Barney, a native of Guilford, Vermont, and Nancy Potter, of Massachusetts. Benjamin Barney was an active friend to education and one of the principal movers in founding Union Academy, at Belleville, Jefferson County, New York. Both Benjamin Barney and his wife were earnest and active members of the Baptist Church during their entire lives. Eliam E. Barney, the subject of this sketch, was the oldest of eleven children, and was born at Henderson, New York, October 17,1807. Young Eliam's father was exceedingly solicitious that he should receive an education that should fit him for any station in life which he might he called upon to till. He was partly educated at Lowville, Lewis County, and afterward became one of the first pupils in Union Academy, at Belleville, in the same State. He made such rapid advancement that he was able when eighteen years old to help himself by teaching school in the winter season, and in this way he continued his studies until fitted to enter the sophomore class of Union College, Schenectady, which was then under the presidency of the celebrated Dr. Eliphalet Nott. From this college he graduated in 1831, and after teaching a short time at Sand Lake, New York, he became Principal of Lowville Academy, remaining in that position two years and meeting with great success. In the fall of 1833 he came to Ohio, and taught six months in Granville (now Dennison) University, in the place of Professor Drury, who had been elected, but had not arrived. In the spring of 1834 he came to Dayton and found employment as Principal of the Dayton Academy, which stood on the ground now occupied by the High School, and remained at the head of that academy until 1838. On account of failing health he then retired from the teacher's profession and engaged in the lumber business, which he carried on successfully until 1845, when he again entered his early employment, and became Principal of Cooper Academy, aud continued in that position until 1851. He established, with Ebenezer Thresher, the Dayton Car Works, a history of which may be found in the chapter devoted to the manufacturing interests of the city. Besides the car works, Mr. Barney was interested
in several other business enterprises. He was a director and Vice-president of the Second National Bank of this city, a director of the Wisconsin Central Railroad, and was President of the Cooper Hydraulic Company.
Some years previous to his death he became greatly interested in the cultivation of the catalpa tree for timber. By means of correspondence, communications to the newspapers, and pamphlets, he awakened a wide-spread interest in the subject, the result of which has been that large numbers of these trees are now being cultivated. He was for many years prominently connected with the First Baptist Church of Dayton, and for some twenty years a member of the board of trustees of Dennison University, at Granville, Ohio. This university, in consideration of his life-long patronage of learning, conferred upon him the honorary degree of doctor of laws. He contributed fifty thousand dollars to endow two memorial professorships in this institution.
Mr. Barney was married October 10. 1834, to Julia Smith, daughter of Dudley Smith, of Galway, Saratoga County, New York. They were the parents of six children. Mr. Barney's death occurred December 17, 1880, and he was buried in Woodland Cemetery. [Source: History of Dayton, Ohio, Dayton, Ohio: United Brethren Pub. House, 1889 - Submitted by Linda Blue Dietz]
John H. Bidleman
BIDLEMAN, John H, St Paul. Res 555 Ashland av, office 440 Gilfillan bldg. Saddlery and leather broker. Born Aug 3, 1841 at Dayton O, son of John and Evelyn B (Phelps) Bidleman. Educated in public schools Dayton O. Reared to mercantile life; member of John Bidleman & Son 1865-68; sold out to father 1868; trav salsn for Topf, Long & Co Evansville Ind 1868-74; buyer and mngr for Jacob Straus & Co whol saddlers St Louis Mo 1874-88; v pres Konantz Saddlery Co St Paul Minn 1888-1905; saddlery and leather broker 1906. Served in Civil War; Squirrel Hunters of Ohio 30 days; 4th Ind Ohio Cavalry 9 months; 131st Ohio Infantry 100 days. Member Minn and Commercial clubs St Paul. [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Rhonda Hill]
Orville S. Boda
BODA, Orville S., superintendent Metropolitan Life Insurance Co., Detroit; born, Dayton, Ohio, (Montgomery Co) Sept. 3, 1868; son of Fernandes O. and Rhoda (McNutt) Boda; educated in public schools; married at Indianapolis, Ind., Dec. 21, 1892, Bessie Lytle. Learned printing trade and engaged in newspaper work until 1894; became connected with Metropolitan Life Insurance Co. first as solicitor; was made assistant superintendent, 1897, and has been superintendent since 1900. Member Detroit Underwriters' Association (2nd vice president). Independent in politics. Methodist. Member Masonic order. Recreations: Outdoor sports, Office: 234 Woodward Av. Residence: 111 Delaware Av. [Source: "The Book of Detroiters". Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - CW - Sub by FoFG]
CAPT. B. F. BOOKWALTER, who for many years was president of the firm of Bookwalter Bros. & Co., and who is now vice-president of the Bookwalter Wheel company, of the growing little city of Miamisburg, was born in Johnstown, Pa., March 31, 1820. He is a son of John and Catherine (Stump) Bookwalter, who settled in Jefferson township, Montgomery county, in 1823. Benjamin Franklin Bookwalter was reared in Montgomery county until sixteen years of age, in the meantime receiving as good an education as the common schools of that day could furnish. In 1836 he located in Winchester, Ohio, where he served an apprenticeship of four years at the carriage and wagon-maker's trade. In 1840 he removed to Germantown, Montgomery county, and there worked at his trade as a journeyman for nearly a year. After this he engaged in business for himself at Paris, Ohio, and continued there for three years. In 1848 he established himself in the dry-goods business at Winchester, and was thus engaged for one year as a member of the firm of Halderman & Bookwalter, selling out at the end of that time. In1852 he engaged in the manufacture of carriages at Seven Mile, Butler county, Ohio, and remained there in business until 1864. He then removed to Miamisburg, and there, in 1865, became a member of the firm of Bookwalter Bros. & Co., which firm was engaged in the manufacture of carriages and light wagons. This firm in 1868 began the manufacture of carriage wheels exclusively, and in 1890 was absorbed by the Standard Wheel company, the Bookwalter Wheel company being organized in 1891. For a long time Mr. Bookwalter traveled for the company, buying stock and selling the finished products of the factory. When the old company sold out to the Standard Wheel company Mr. Bookwalter was its president, and upon the re-organization of the company under its new name he was made vice-president thereof, a position which he still retains.
Mr. Bookwalter married December 8, 1844, Miss Abigail Gram, daughter of Conrad and Nancy (House) Gram, of Winchester, Ohio. To this marriage there have been born three children, as follows: Anna E., Winfield S., and Charles E. During the late Civil war Mr. Bookwalter was active in the organization of military companies, and was instrumental in filling three regiments for the war, beside raising a company for the 100 days' service. He also spent considerable time in the south on war department business, and performed noble work in looking after the sick and disabled soldiers of his state. He was captain of
company D, One Hundred and Sixty-ninth regiment, Ohio volunteer infantry, and was widely known as one of the actively patriotic men of Montgomery county. Mr. Bookwalter is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and in politics is a republican. Few men in the county, if any, stand higher in business, social and religious circles than does Mr. Bookwalter, he being well and widely known as a man of integrity and honor. Winfield Scott Bookwalter, M. D., son of Benjamin F., was born in Winchester, Preble county. Ohio, August 26, 1849. ["Centennial Portrait and Biographical Record of the City of Dayton and of Montgomery County, OH", edited by Frank Conover, 1897 - KT - Sub by FoFG]
DANIEL BOWSER, one of the well-to-do farmers of Pipe Creek Township, was born in Montgomery County, Ohio, November 1, 1833, son of John and Susanna (Wyland) Bowser, natives of Ohio and of German extraction. Our subject's youth was passed amid the stirring scenes of farm life, with the rugged duties of which he early became familiar. He enjoyed such rude advantages for an education as were offered in those days. From the time of his father's death, which occurred in 1851, he was his mother's only support, caring for her until her second marriage, which took place in 1853. The family then moved to Goshen, Indiana. Mr. Bowser came to Pipe Creek Township in the winter of 1854, and purchased eighty acres of land. He has been twice married, the first time, in 1855, to Miss Mary Shively, daughter of Daniel and Catherine (Bowman) Shively. He chose for his second wife Hannah Shively, a sister of his former wife. They were married January 4, 1857, and are the parents of the following children: John E., born February 15, 1858; Susanna, born June 1, 1861; Levi, born April 20, 1865, and Mary E., born June 16, 1868. Mr. and Mrs. Bowser are members of the German Baptist Church, with which they have been united for thirty years. Mr. Bowser officiated as minister in the second degree of his church for fifteen years. In politics he acts with the Democratic party. ["History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present..." By Brant & Fuller, Chicago, BZ - Sub by FoFG]
BRANDENBURG Alonzo, Fergus Falls. Banker. Born Nov 1, 1849 in Dayton O, son of A M and Katherine Brandenburg. Married Aug 12, 1874 to Alice A Faber. Educated in high school Trempealeau Wis. Clk in gen store Trempealeau Wis 1868-70; machinery business 1873-79; sheriff Otter Tail County 1882-89; pres Fergus Falls Nat Bank 1890-95; cashr First State Bank 1902 to date. Member School Board. Member Masonic fraternity. [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Rhonda Hill]
Henry K. Butt
HENRY K. BUTT, brother of the subject of the above sketch, was born in Montgomery County, Ohio, October 14,1839, the second of a family of seven. He always made his home with his parents until their death, acquiring a common education. September, 1861, he enlisted to aid his country in the suppression of the rebellion, becoming a member of Company B, 40th Indiana Regiment of Volunteer Infantry, where he served until December, 1864. He participated in the following important engagements: Shiloh, Missionary Ridge, Chickamauga, the battles incident to Sherman's March to Atlanta, and Franklin, Tennessee. Soon after his return from the army, February 26, 1865, Mary P. Fites became his wife. He has always made farming his vocation, in which he has been successful. He is the proprietor of a fine little farm of sixty-two acres. He and wife belong to the M. E. Church. Politically he is a Republican. ["History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present..." By Brant & Fuller, Chicago, BZ - Sub by FoFG]
Richard W. Butt
RICHARD W. BUTT, a prominent citizen of Perry Township, is a native of Montgomery County, Ohio, where he was born November 20, 1837, being the oldest child in a family of seven children born to Regnal and Phoebe (Kinsey) Butt, who were natives of Virginia and Pennsylvania, respectively. They emigrated to Indiana and Miami County, October, 1845, made their first permanent settlement in Jefferson Township, where they lived for six years, then moved to Perry Township, and lived there until their deaths. Our subject was reared on the farm, remaining at home and assisting his parents until he attained the age of twenty-two years. He received a common education, such as the facilities of his day afforded. January 26, 1860, his marriage with Margaret D. Cover was solemnized, and to their union eight children have been born, of whom these six are now living: Phoebe L., wife of Aaron Plank; Viola E., Nettie A., Marietta, Sarah M., Ira E. The two deceased are Martha J. and John W. Mrs. Butt was a daughter of William and Luanda (Hiney) Cover, who were natives of Frederick County, Maryland, and came to Miami County in October, 1845. Mr. Butt always made farming his principal occupation, in connection with which he has worked at the carpenter and joiner trades, and he has been very successful. He now owns 80 acres of well improved land, which he has accumulated by his own industry and economy. March 28, 1865, he enlisted in the cause of his country in Company K, 155th Regiment of Volunteer Infantry, and served until August of the same year, when he was discharged on account of the close of the war. He and wife are members of the M. E. Church. In politics he is a Republican, and has been honored with an election to the office of Township Trustee. ["History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present..." By Brant & Fuller, Chicago, BZ - Sub by FoFG]
John Clifton, Sr.
JOHN CLIFTON, Sr., a native of Montgomery County, Ohio, was born February 2, 1826. He is the fourth son of Henry and Rhoda (Nichols) Clifton, natives of Virginia, and of English and Dutch origin. They emigrated to Ohio in 1808 or 1809. John Clifton was reared in Dayton, receiving an education at the common schools. When eighteen years of age he learned brick-making, and December 24, 1844, was united in marriage with Miss Martha Addis, a native of Mississippi, but who was reared in Kentucky. To them these children were born: George, John and Amos. They located in Peru, Miami County, April, 1855. In 1862 he entered his country's service in the 29th Indiana Volunteers, and was mustered out in 1863. He now holds membership in the Grand Army of the Republic, and politically is a Republican. ["History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present..." By Brant & Fuller, Chicago, BZ - Sub by FoFG]
DANIEL DUCKWALL, farmer and prominent citizen of this township, is a native of Montgomery County, Ohio. He is a son of Henry and Rosanah (Linginfelter) Duckwall, natives of Virginia and Maryland, respectively, and of German extraction. His parents were married in Berkley County, Virginia, in 1800, and soon emigrated to Ohio. Daniel Duckwall was born July 10, 1822. He grew to manhood on his father's farm, and obtained a fair English education. At the age of twenty he began teaching school, which profession he followed for a number of years. Mr. Duckwall emigrated to Cass County in 1848, and in 1851 moved his family to his new home in Miami County. Here he experienced all the obstacles and privations incident to the settlement of a new country. He takes an active interest in all enterprises for the public good. Was elected Township Trustee at the first election held in Pipe Creek Township, which office he held for three years. He then became president of the board. At the expiration of his term of office he was appointed school examiner of the county, and filled the office with credit to himself and to the satisfaction of the people. He now owns 600 acres of good land, and valuable property in Bunker Hill; never contracts a debt without the money to pay for it, and never asks anyone to go his security. In 1847 he married Miss Elizabeth Myers, a union that resulted in the birth of two children—Laura J. and William C.; both are married. Mrs. Duckwall departed this life in the year 1856. Three years later Mr. Duckwall married Nancy Z. Rider. The children born to them were Eugene L. (deceased), born June 5, 1860; Ada Bell, born February 1, 1862; Perry N., born November 26, 1864; Ernest D., born October 2, 1870, and Stella May, born December 19, 1877. Mr. and Mrs. Duckwall are members of the M. E. Church. For the past twenty years Mr. Duckwall has been a class leader, and has officiated as local minister for ten years. He is a staunch supporter of the Republican party. ["History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present..." By Brant & Fuller, Chicago, BZ - Sub by FoFG]
JOHN DUCKWALL, founder and builder of a large saw and flouring mill, known as the Champion Mills, was born in Montgomery County, Ohio, and is a son of Henry and Rosana (Lingerfelter) Duckwall, both of German descent. Our subject assisted his father on the farm until reaching his majority, when they farmed on the shares. In 1845 he emigrated to Clinton Township, Cass County, where he remained four years, and then moved to Miami County, where he still resides. His milling property was destroyed by fire in 1857, creating a loss of $5,000. He had rebuilt this sawmill by the following spring and afterwards rebuilt the grist-mill. After remodeling four times he has to-day one of the best equipped mills in the county. March 21, 1845, Lydia Myers became his wife, and by him the mother of six children, viz: an infant unnamed; Amanda J., married in 1873 to Geo. Blue, and in 1878 she received a stroke of lightning which killed her instantly; Emma M. (deceased), Ida B., Dora C. and Carrie O. Mr. Duckwall is a staunch Republican, and he and wife have been members of the Regular Baptist Church for thirty years. ["History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present..." By Brant & Fuller, Chicago, BZ - Sub by FoFG]
Walter Alphonzo Foland
FOLAND, Walter Alphonzo, Benson. Lawyer and editor. Born Mar 12 1846 in Dayton O, son of Solomon and Sarah Belle (Francisco) Foland. Married July 26, 1876 to Laura A Woodburn. Attended Terre Haute (Ind) High School; graduated from Ind State Univ 1870; law dept same LL B 1873. Moved to Willmar Minn and engaged in practice of law 1874 to date; county atty Kandiyohi county 1875; moved to Benson and practiced law 1876 to date; editor and publisher Benson Times 1885 to date, under firm name of Foland & McCune. Republican presidential elector 1888. [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Anna Parks]
Ada Iddings Gale
GALE, Mrs. Ada Iddings, author and educator, was born in Dayton, Ohio, and comes of a Quaker ancestry. Her education was received in Albion College. In her early childhood her literary inclining was apparent and received careful fostering from her father, Rev. Joseph T. Iddings, who was also largely her teacher. There yet remain fragments of her early fancy scrawled in a round childish hand. Her home is in Albion, Mich. A woman of family, with numerous social demands upon her time, she yet sets apart certain hours of the day for research. As a student of English history and literature she has been painstaking and has gained a remarkable proficiency in these favorite branches of study. As a dramatic reader she is far above the ordinary, and as a teacher of dramatic art she excels. She has lectured on the "Attributes of Beauty" and has ready for publication two manuscripts, one a volume of verse, the other a seventeenth century romance. Owing to the care and education of her three children, it is with difficulty she has achieved work of any great length, but her endeavor is marked by eagerness and whole heartedness. [Source: "American Women" by Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Vol. 1, 1897.- MS - Sub by FoFG]
Margaret Thompson Hall
HALL, Mrs. Margaret Thompson, educator and newspaper correspondent, born in Dayton, Ohio, 28th March, 1854. Great care was taken with her early education by her father, the late Dr. Thompson, who was a member of the Medical Board in Nashville, Tenn., during the latter part of the Civil War. As a child she showed a keen desire for learning, and at the age of fifteen she was graduated, but continued her studies under Professor A. Reily, D.D., of Michigan. Being a natural musician, she accompanied her father through central Ohio on his recruiting expeditions for the Union Army. After the war, with her widowed mother and gallant brother, Capt. J. A. Thompson, she settled in Iowa, and then took up her vocation as a teacher, continuing her labors there and in Illinois until her marriage to J. Charles Hall, the publisher of the "Pacific Veteran." of San Francisco, Cal. She was the associate editor of that paper as long as it continued publication. She also organized and formed a department of the Loyal Ladies' League, and was publicly decorated for her services to the Grand Army of the Republic by the late General Sullivan. From time to time her little sketches and letters have appeared in different papers, among which are the "National Tribune," of Washington, D. C., the "American Tribune," the "Golden Gate" and Healdsburg "Enterprise," of California. Literary work of varied kinds has been her occupation for the last two years. [Source: "American Women" by Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Vol. 1, 1897.- MS - Sub by FoFG]
ADAM RADER came to Miami County (Indiana) in the fall of 1840, from Rockingham County, Virginia. His birth occurred on the 8th of March, 1822, being the eldest son of Henry and Sarah (Hoover) Rader, natives of the same county. The father came west at the same time and located on a farm in Peru Township, where he remained until death, April 9, 1872. In 1835 the subject of this sketch came to Clinton County. He was principally reared in Montgomery County, Ohio, where he received his education. He now owns eighty acres of land in Peru Township. He was married to Miss Harriet M. Wallace June 2, 1853, a native of Highland County, Virginia, to whom were born nine children: William, Henry, Edward, Lewis, Anna M., Sarah, Elsie, Martha and Pearley. Mr. Rader is an ardent Republican. ["History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present..." By Brant & Fuller, Chicago, BZ - Sub by FoFG]
WILLIAM RASSNER, the subject of this biography, was born in Germany on the 23d of April, 1823, and is a son of Albert and Elizabeth Rassner. He remained in his native country until nine years of age, at which time, 1832, his parents emigrated to the United States, landing at the City of Baltimore in September of the above year. From there they removed to Chambersburgh, Pennsylvania, and thence in 1835 to Dayton, Ohio, in which city the subject grew to manhood. His educational privileges were fair, the best his opportunities afforded, yet of that practical nature which enabled him at the age of fourteen to commence his business career as a druggist, at which profession he served about six years, acquiring great proficiency in the meantime. Severing his connection with his preceptor in 1846, he enlisted in the ist Ohio Regiment for the Mexican war, and continued with the same for about one year, serving part of the time as a private soldier, and a part in the capacity of hospital steward. On leaving the army he returned to Dayton, and, in 1849, came to Peru, Indiana, where he opened a drug house and where he has since resided. He continued the drug business with encouraging success until 1873, at which time he retired from active life, and is now enjoying that quiet which only those who have battled with the world for over a half century know how to appreciate. Mr. Rassner has taken an active interest in the welfare of his adopted city, and all measures for the public good find in him an ardent and energetic supporter. He deserves mention for his efforts in the city's interest as a member of the Common Council, to which he was elected several times, and in the deliberations of which he displayed wisdom and rare executive ability. He is at this time one of the trustees of the city water works. He was married August, 1848, to Miss Anna Raabe, of Germany, who bore him three children, viz: Matilda, Catharine and Amelia R. Mrs. Rassner died early in 1857. The latter part of the same year was solemnized his second marriage with Magdalene Springer, of Peru, a union blessed with the birth of two children, Emma and Frances. His second wife died in 1864. He married his present wife, Mary A. Stepler, in 1864, to which marriage four children have been born, viz.: Lizzie, Louisa, Elvira R., and David H. Mr. Rassner votes in conformity with the principles of the Democratic party, and has been an active participant in local politics. ["History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present..." By Brant & Fuller, Chicago, BZ - Sub by FoFG]
James M. Stutesman
JAMES M. STUTESMAN, retired business man and prominent citizen of Peru, is a native of Montgomery County, Ohio, born August 3, 1819. His paternal grandfather, David Stutesman, was a native of Germany, but early came to the United States and settled at Hagerstown, Maryland. He subsequently moved to Pennsylvania, from which State in the year 1808 he emigrated to Montgomery County, "Ohio, where he followed his trade, that of weaver, until his death in 1820. His son, Nathaniel Stutesman, father of James M., was born at Hagerstown, Maryland. He left that city about the year 1795, and with his father moved to Brownsville, Pennsylvania, where he subsequently married Miss Sarah Flynn, and in 1808 located in Montgomery County, Ohio, which was his home until he removed to Miami County, Indiana, in 1866. He followed agricultural pursuits all his life, and died in Peru about 1880, at the advanced age of ninety-five years. Mrs. Stutesman was born in Hagerstown, Maryland, of Scotch parentage, and departed this life in Montgomery County, Ohio in the year 1839. Nathaniel and Sarah Stutesman were the parents of the children, whose names are as follows, to-wit: Catharine, wife of Henry Stauffer; Amy A., deceased: Jonathan, David, deceased; James M., Ellis, deceased: Nathaniel, Daniel, deceased: Perry, deceased; Robert, and Marietta, wife of Lyman Baldwin, of Chicago. James M. Stutesman spent the first sixteen years of his life as a farmer, and enjoyed during that time such educational advantages as the country afforded. In 1835 he commenced learning the trade of saddlery and harness-making in the city of Dayton, and after serving a five years' apprenticeship and acquiring great proficiency, began working at the same at Lewisburgh, Preble County, Ohio, where he continued until 1842. In that year in company with his brother, Jonathan Stutesman, he came to Miami County, Indiana, and opened a saddlery and harness shop in Peru, which he carried on with success and financial profit until 1858, dealing extensively with the Indians a portion of the time, and also supplying many of the trading houses along the Wabash river from Fort Wayne to Peru. He abandoned the trade the above year, and in partnership with W. W. Kilgore, under the firm name of Stutesman & Kilgore, engaged in the general hardware and agriculture implement business, which was continued until he sold out to his partner in 1864. He then purchased the hardware stock of Palmer & Deniston, ran a very successful business until 1871, when the Puterbaugh Bros, bought an interest, and the well-known firm of Stutesman & Puterbaugh continued, until Mr. Stutesman sold out to his partners and retired from active life in 1881. In his various business enterprises Mr. Stutesman was eminently successful, and as a public-spirited and popular citizen, few men in Peru stand higher in the estimation of the people than he. On the 31st of March, 1831, Miss Elizabeth Shields, daughter of John and Mary Shields, of Vincennes, Indiana, became his wife, and toUhis union has been born the following children, to-wit: Mary A., deceased; Harriet, wife of John S. Hale; Edwin H., deceased; Frank M., Clara E., wife of W. V. Spinning, and James F. Mr. Stutesman is a member of the Presbyterian Church, with which he has been identified since 1845, and with his wife and family belongs to the Peru congregation. In politics he was originally a Whig, and in 184o cast his first vote for General William Henry Harrison. On the dissolution of that party he joined the Republican party, and has since been an earnest supporter of its principles and measures. ["History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present..." By Brant & Fuller, Chicago, BZ - Sub by FoFG]
William W. Sullivan
WILLIAM W. SULLIVAN, Lawyer, was born in Butler Township, Miami County, (Indiana) March 19, 1843, and is the eldest son of Jonah and Louisa (Smith) Sullivan, natives of Kentucky and Delaware respectivly, the father of German-Irish extraction and the mother descended from English-Irish ancestors. Jonah Sullivan came to Miami County in 1840 and purchased land in Butler Township, to which he moved his family the following year. He was prominently identified with the growth and development of that part of the county and resided upon his original purchase until 1876 at which time he retired from active life and moved to South Peru where he now resides. William W. Sullivan was raised on a farm and in addition to agricultural pursuits, worked for some years at the carpenter's trade. He received a liberal education in the schools of Peru and in 1864 accepted a clerkship in the mercantile house of George A. Crowell, in which capacity he continued for one year. The profession of law having more charms for him than any other, he severed his connection with the mercantile business and in 1865 entered the office of Shirk & Mitchell where he pursued his legal studies until September of the same year when he became a student in the law department of the University of Michigan, at Ann Arbor. He attended this institution until 1867 at which time he graduated with the degree of B. L. and immediately thereafter engaged in the practice of his profession in the courts of Miami County, Indiana In 1872 he was elected County Surveyor and by re-election in 1874, held the office until 1876. Since the latter year he has given his attention to his profession having at this time a large and lucrative practice in the courts of Miami and other counties, besides an extensive real-estate business which he has conducted with success and financial profit. Mr. Sullivan, while taking an active interest in political affairs, supporting the principles of the Republican party, is not a partisan in the sense of seeking official honors at the hands of his fellow citizens. He is a courteous gentlemen, honored and respected by a large circle of friends and occupies a conspicuous place among the attorneys of the Miami County bar. In October, 1867, he was united in marriage with Miss Sarah A. Savers, of Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. Sullivan have two children, viz: Nannie L. and William W. Mr. and Mrs. Sullivan are members of the Presbyterian Church of Peru. ["History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present..." By Brant & Fuller, Chicago, BZ - Sub by FoFG]
George Weaver, merchant, Miamisburg. The grandfather of this gentleman was Jacob Weaver, a native of Pennsylvania, who there married Margaret Gebhart of that State, and, in 1804, came to Ohio, entering a tract of hind on Little Bear Creek in Jefferson Township, Montgomery County. They had a family of ten children, but two of whom are now living, and as each child grew to maturity, the father presented them with a farm, Philip, the father of our subject, receiving a farm lying one mile west of Miamisburg, which is yet owned by his heirs. Philip married Magdalena Gebhart, a daughter of George and Elizabeth Gebhart, who came to this county from Pennsylvania in 1805, and by this union was the father of fifteen children, of whom our subject was the third oldest. Philip was an industrious, temperate Christian man, and died July 12, 1851, his wife surviving him thirty years, and dying in November,1881, after a worthy Christian life of nearly eighty-one years. George W. was born on the old homestead September 27, 1824, and worked at home until twenty-one years old, when, with the small amount of $8, and $150 which he borrowed, he purchased a stock of groceries and opened a store on North Main street, Miamisburg, Ohio, where, by close application to business and an invincible determination to succeed, he rose step by step until, to-day, he ranks among the wealthy men of his native township. He was married, October 8, 1845, to Rebecca Rowe. daughter of Henry and Sarah (Squires) Rowe, who was born in Warren County, Ohio, October 22, 1827. They have had eight children—Sarah M., Eliza E., George C;, Mary Ann L., Emma C, Charles E., Louisa J. and Harry C. He and wife have been members of the Reformed
Church for the past twenty-five years, in which organization he has been Deacon Treasurer and Trustee. Mr. Weaver carries the largest stock of goods of any house in Miamisburg, and is recognized as a man of integrity and honor in all his dealings, a man who is ever alive to the spirit and progress of this enlightened age. [p. 425, unknown source, Sub. by Linda Dietz]
William Perry Weaver, M.D.
WILLIAM PERRY WEAVER, M. D., one of the most successful and prominent physicians of Montgomery county, Ohio, was born in Jefferson township, this county, October8, 1851. He is the son of William and Sarah (Beck) Weaver. His paternal grandfather, Jacob Weaver, was born in Lancaster county, Pa., December 28, 1762, and settled in Jefferson township. Montgomery county, Ohio, in 1805. In this township he cleared and improved a farm, on which he lived the rest of his life. His father, Jacob Weaver, came from Alsace- Lorraine, and in early manhood settled in Pennsylvania, serving later as a soldier in the
Revolutionary war. The wife of Jacob Weaver, pioneer of Montgomery county, Ohio, was Margaret Gebhart, who bore him ten children, as follows: Henry, a soldier in the war of 1812; Michael, Jacob, Peter. Philip. John, Magdalena (Mrs. Jacob Beachler); Gretchen, (Mrs. George Gebhart); Eva. and William, the latter being the father of the subject this biographical sketch.
William Weaver was born on the homestead in Jefferson township, September 25, 1811, and was reared as a farmer and a
distiller, conducting the latter business on Bear creek. He lived and died on the old Weaver homestead, his death being caused by injuries accidentally received. January 24, 1857.
His wife was a daughter of Richard and Susan (Snepp) Beck, the former of whom was a native of England, at one time a resident of Montgomery county, and later a large land-holder on the Wabash river, near Fort Wayne, Ind. William Perry was the only child of the marriage of William and Sarah (Beck) Weaver.
William Perry Weaver, M. D., was reared in his native county, was educated primarily in the public schools thereof, also in Notre Dame university and in Wittenberg college. In 1868 he began the study of medicine by taking a course of lectures at Miami Medical college, at Cincinnati, Ohio, and finished his medical education at the Cincinnati college of Medicine & Surgery, graduating from this institution in 1871. Locating immediately in Miamisburg, he has since had an extensive practice and has established himself in the confidence of the public to the fullest extent.
Dr. Weaver was married, October 31, 1871, to Katie Burnett, daughter of Patrick C. and Mary (Coughlin) Burnett, of Cincinnati. By this marriage he has two children, W. Burnett and Genevieve. Dr. Weaver is a member of the Montgomery county Medical society, and has been a surgeon of the Big Four Railroad company for upward of fifteen years. He has been assistant surgeon of the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton Railroad. [unknown source, Sub. by Linda Dietz]
BACK -- HOME
Copyright © Genealogy Trails