FOCKE - PATER
Louise Elizabeth Pater and Urban George Focke Wedding
Pater-Foche [Focke] Wedding Beautifully Solemnized
A great dignity emphasized the marriage of Miss Louise Pater charming and only daughter of Joseph Pater and Urban Foche [Focke] son of Mr. and Mrs. Bernard Foche [Focke] of Dayton which was beautifully celebrated at 8:30 o'clock Wednesday morning--a radiant summer day, ideal in its sunshine. Never has St. Joseph's Catholic church, the scene of many brilliant weddings from time immemorial, been so transformed. Myriads of roses, snap dragon and summer blooms with delicate airy asparagus ferns until the entire chancel and nave of the church suggested the fresh virginity of the open, with the wealth of these flowers and the gathering of loving relatives and admiring friends the bridal day was as perfect a one as ever delighted the heart of a bride.
The bride's love of music was emphasized in the program and at the first strains of the familiar "Faithful and True" of the "Lohengrin" which welcomed the bride and her attendants as a hush fell over the great gathering of guests who had assembled there. The bridal procession was like a colorful pageant and down the snowy aisle of the church leading the way were Anna Theresa Pater in white organdy with bouffant bows of blue satin carrying a basket of pink sweet peas and her diminutive escort James Foche [Focke] of Dayton, nephew of the groom in white and black satin togs carried proudly before him on a white satin pillow, the wedding rings. Immediately following was Miss Helen Kessling looking particularly lovely in a frock of lavender taffeta quaintly fashioned, she wore a hat of silver lace and silver slippers while her arms were overflowing with Sweetheart roses. Miss Kessling walked with Arnold Bueker, who acted as groomsman. Each maid wore a similar frock of different shades. Miss Viola Foche [Focke] of Dayton, sister of the groom, looked charming in a frock of green taffeta especially becoming to her fair type, her hat and slippers being also of silver. Sylvester Burns, cousin of the groom was best man and walked with Miss Foche [Focke]. Then came another niece of the bride, little Mary Louise Pater demure and petite in white French organdy adorned with great bows of yellow satin, she scattered the bridal path with rose petals from a quaint little basket. Just before the bride walked the maid of honor Miss Marie Bueker whose brunette beauty was in decided contrast with that of the maids and was associated with a lovely frock of pink taffeta with a delicate tracery of silver lace, a hat of silver lace, and silver slippers, her bouquet was pale pink roses.
The bride entered with the groom, her fair beauty and slender figure wrapped in white moon glow and satin and billowy tulle that quite enveloped her. Her bodice was trimmed in rare lace, the skirt was made short, while from her shoulders fell, in great folds her shimmering court train. Her tulle veil was topped with a cornet of Duchess lace outlined in pearls and rested upon her head like a diadem. A beautiful string of pearls, with a diamond clasp, the groom's gift was her only adornment; her bouquet of butterfly sweet peas and Ophelia roses showered to the hem of her draped gown. The Rev. Father John Mayerhoefer officiated with special tenderness for he has seen the bride grow into womanhood. The double ring ceremony was performed and Father Mayerhoefer was assisted by Rev. Father Osmond Brown of St. Stephen;s church and the Rev. Father Diener of College Hill, Cincinnati. During the offeratory Edgar Wagner sang with much feeling "Ave Maria". The tableau about the altar was like a great bouquet and will ever linger in the memory of those who were present. Following the ceremony at the church a handsomely appointed wedding breakfast was served at the home of the bride's father. Here the same decorations prevailed, the bride's table was placed in the dining room, its center adorned with a wonderful wedding cake which was really a vision of artistic beauty in four tiers, this was surrounded by fragrant masses of pink and white roses. Here the bride and groom were surrounded by their most intimate friends and relatives. The other guests were seated at small tables. The bride's gifts to her flower girls were little beauty pins and to the maids powder puffs on long ivory sticks with dainty satin bags to match. Later in the day Mr. and Mrs. Foche [Focke] left on a motor trip to the Lakes and upon their return home will reside with the bride's father on Fourth street and Pershing avenue. The bride is traveling in a handsome frock of silver Russianier silk with gray slippers and hat to harmonize. They were given a merry send off and left admist a shower of good wishes and confetti. Mr. and Mrs. Foche [Focke] were the recipients of many handsome wedding wedding gifts which attested the esteem in which they are held by their friends and relatives who are legion. A number of out of town guests were in attendance particularly from Dayton the groom's home. [Source: Hamilton Evening Journal (Hamilton, Ohio) August 10, 1921 - Submitted by Ida Maack Recu]
DAYTON, OHIO, June 10 - On Tuesday, the 8th inst., Thomas J. Gibbon of Indianapolis, eloped from that city with Mary V., a 14 year old daughter of J. H. Adams, proprietor of the Adams House, Indianapolis. They arrived here and upon the oath of Gideon Mills, of this city, obtained a marriage license, and were married by a Catholic priest. The father of the girl arrived today and had the entire party arrested for perjury. [Source: The Inter Ocean, June 11, 1875, page 1 - PT - Sub by FOFG]
Married - Thursday morning, 22d inst., in this city, by Rev. C. Albrecht, Peter Heller and Elizabeth Hofman, both of Jefferson township. [Source: The Miamisburg Bulletin, Aug 23, 1872 - Sub by FoFG]
Married - Thursday evening 22d inst., at the residence of the bride's parents, Charles Keiser and Alice Brough, both of this city. [Source: The Miamisburg Bulletin, Aug 23, 1872 - Sub by FoFG]
The First Marriage in Dayton.
From The Dayton (Ohio) Herald, Aug. 28, 1800, is noted as the date of the first wedding in Dayton. On that day Benjamin Van Cleve was married to Mary Whitten at her father's house on his farm a short distance from town. Mr. Van Cleve makes this characteristic record of the event In his diary: " This year I raised a crop of corn and determined on settling myself, and having a home; I accordingly on the 28th of August married Mary Whitten, daughter of John Whitten, near Dayton. She was young, lively, and ingenuous. My property was a horse creature and a few farming utensils, and her father gave her a few household or kitchen utensils, so that we could make shift to cook our provisions; a bed, a cow and heifer, a ewe and two lambs, a sow and pigs and a saddle and spinning wheel. I had corn and vegetables growing, so that if we were not rich, we had sufficient for our immediate wants, and we were contented and happy." Ohio was a new and unknown country at the beginning of the nineteenth century, and travelers and land prospectors were unable to obtain from books or newspapers the facts they desired in regard to soil, climate, population, and business. It was therefore greatly to the advantage of a recently settled town and county to have within their borders one like Mr. Van Cleve, who was not only a good talker, but a perfect mine of information, (he had while surveying traveled over nearly every foot of ground in this neighborhood,) and also willing to take the time and trouble to instruct inquiring visitors, who, if properly approached, might be induced to become permanent settlers. [Source: "The New York Times" (Published 5 Apr. 1896) page 32. - MZ - Sub by FOFG]
BACK -- HOME
Copyright © Genealogy Trails