J. W. GRIFFITH
It has often occurred to the writer that the metropolitan press does not fully or fairly appreciate the thorough pervading influence of the country newspapers and the faithful, able and valuable services of country journalists. While none fail to give due credit to the agricultural classes and rural communities as forming the stanchest element in economy of America's world-famed prosperity and general happiness, the fact is often ignored that no one individual has a larger voice in their affairs and is more honored as a wise adviser and strong advocate than the able and faithful editor who, although one of them in sympathies and intimate knowledge of their lives, is still a leader and an inspiration. When the country editor is thus adopted into the community as a strong elder brother, affectionate and yet just, and remains bound closely to all its interests from young manhood to old age, as with the Rev. J. W. Griffith, of the Morrow County Sentinel, Mount Gilead, it is an injustice indeed that the entire press of the country should not place a very large account to country journalism in striking a balance sheet on national prosperity, national patriotism and national stability and progress in general.
Mr. Griffith is a native of Pennsylvania, and since early boyhood has developed in an atmosphere of printer's cases, presses and editorial "copy." After attaining his majority he came to Ohio to take a position with his uncle at Shelby, but the call of the printer soon drew him away from the mercantile field and he applied for a 'case' at the office of the Shield and Banner, Mansfield. As there was no vacancy on that paper, he sought work in the same line elsewhere, and fortunately learned from a fellow compositor that a case was idle in the office of the Sentinel of Mount Gilead. So the weary but persistent youth trudged to the county seat of the newly formed county, and was rewarded by securing the coveted work at his beloved trade. That was sixty- three years ago, and since that time the industrious, faithful and able compositor has surely risen to the position of editor and proprietor of one of the most influential and prosperous country papers in Ohio, with a substantial subscription list and a fine mechanical plant.
Quoting the words of one of Mr. Griffith's warm and appreciative fellow journalists: "Brother Griffith has never been sensational as a writer, but is always conservative and thoughtful, lie never has to take back today what he published yesterday. He is loyal and true to his friends, and in conversation is entertaining, with a tinge of mirth and charming repartee." Again, as suggesting characteristics both of editor and his paper, is the following taken from the first number of the thirty- third volume of the Sentinel: "This issue rounds to a close the thirty-second volume of the Sentinel, and on the threshold of the new year it is befitting that we should look back with our readers over the checkered path we have trod together. Thirty-two years! Could the Sentinel speak and tell us of the changes it has witnessed, the trials passed, the triumphs achieved, the friends it has seen pass away or grown gray, as it has grown strong how the tale would enthrall our breathless attention! But thirty-two years is not the age of gushing confession, and we cannot expect to hear of its early loves and disappointments, the frolics and vicissitudes of its youth. A generation has passed since its birth, and while its servants and friends have grown older and fonder of the ease earned by a life of toil, it has just arrived at maturity, and rejoices like a strong man to run a race.
"In public life what revolutions the Sentinel has seen. Parties have fulfilled their mission and passed away like autumn leaves; the cause of freedom rising in the cloud of 'free soil' not larger than a man's hand, has spanned the heavens, and equal rights, casting its shadow over a weary land, has delivered that which was holy and set the oppressed free. The public life of the last thirty-two years has been eventful, charged with potencies for weal or woe to the nation, and the Sentinel, in its place and way, has borne its part without wavering and without regret; and standing now on the eve of another conflict between the old elements of antagonism it draws fresh inspiration from this birthday retrospect, and renews its faith in the policy of honesty, liberty and equal rights before the law and at the ballot box."
[Source: "History of Morrow County, Ohio: A Narrative Account...", Volume 2; By Abraham J. Baughman, Robert Franklin Bartlett; Lewis Publishing co, 1911 - BZ - Sub by FoFG]
JAMES L. MCCAMMAN
James L. McCamman who resides at 782 West High street, Mt. Gilead, Ohio, is well known as one of the financially substantial men of Morrow county, where he has spent his life and where his enterprising efforts and strictly honorable dealings have brought him the success he now enjoys.
Mr. McCamman was born in Gilead township, Morrow county, Ohio, July 23, 1850, a son of John and Henrietta (Kelly) McCamman, both now deceased. In their family were five children, of whom one daughter, Alice, is now the wife of Edmund Wooley and resides in New York state. When James L. was six years of age his parents moved to the farm in Gilead township on which he was reared and which he still owns, this farm comprising a tract of two hundred and ten acres and being situated a mile and a half east of Mt. Gilead. Here his boyhood days were passed, attending district school and working on the farm, and here he continued to make his home until 1901, when he came to Mt. Gilead, since which time he has resided on West High street. For years Mr. McCamman has dealt extensively in cattle, buying by the car load, grazing them on his broad pastures and then shipping to the markets. From time to time he has made investments, and is a stockholder and director in various enterprises.
Mr. McCamman and his wife have an only daughter, Florence, wife of Robert Ginn, of Indianapolis, Indiana. Mrs. McCamman, formerly Miss Ora V. Powell, was born and reared in Morrow county.
Politically Mr. McCamman is a Republican, though he has never been active in politics, his own personal affairs claiming the whole of his attention. He has fraternal relations with Mt. Gilead Lodge, No. 160, I. O. O. F., and Morrow Encampment, No. 59; also he is a member of Charles H. Hull Lodge, No. 195, K. of P., in all of which he has been honored with official position. He and his wife are prominent members of the Methodist Episcopal church of Mt. Gilead and at this writing he is one of its stewards. [Source: "History of Morrow County, Ohio: A Narrative Account...", Volume 2; By Abraham J. Baughman, Robert Franklin Bartlett; Lewis Publishing co, 1911 - BZ - Sub by FoFG]
JOHN C. WILLIAMSON
John C. Williamson prosecuting attorney of Morrow county, Ohio, is a representative of one of the pioneer families of this country and was born on the old Williamson farm near Iberia April 7, 1883. John Williamson, his great-grandfather, came to Ohio as early as 1820 and established his home on a tract of land near Iberia, which has ever since remained in the Williamson family, now being owned by the heirs of James Williamson, the father of John C., and who died in 1892. James Williamson and his wife, Mary E. (Denman) Williamson, were the parents of six children, three sons and three daughters, namely: II. Elizabeth teacher in high school, Edison ; Rosa A., wife of G. W. Struthers, farmer, Iberia; Caroline J., librarian, St. Louis City Library; James W., who wedded Miss Marion Hughes, and died at Iberia, January, 1905; John C., and Jonathan D., attorney, Columbus, Ohio.
John C. Williamson was reared near the vicinity of Iberia. He received his early education in the schools of Iberia, and is a graduate of the Iberia High School with the class of 1899. In 1901 he was a student at Baldwin University, Berea, Ohio, and the following year he attended the Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware, Ohio, after which he spent some time in the school room as a teacher, and later took up the study of law. In the meantime he farmed and made a trip, spending five months in the far west. After his return to Ohio he entered the law department of the State University, where he graduated in June, 1906. That same year he was admitted to the bar and engaged in the practice of law at Mt. Gilead, and in November, 1908, he was elected on the Republican ticket to the office of prosecuting attorney of Morrow county, in which he is now serving, and he was re-elected in 1910, by a majority of eight hundred and twenty-six votes.
Mr. Williamson married Miss Anna K. Patton, of Crawford county, Ohio, and they are the parents of two little sons, James W. and John, the former born in 1906, the latter in 1909.
Both Mr. Williamson and his wife are members of the Presbyterian church, and fraternally he is identified with the Masonic Order, being a member of both the Lodge and Chapter at Mt. Gilead, and he is also a member of the Knights of Pythias No. 561, at Iberia. [Source: "History of Morrow County, Ohio: A Narrative Account...", Volume 2; By Abraham J. Baughman, Robert Franklin Bartlett; Lewis Publishing co, 1911 - BZ - Sub by FoFG]
WILLIAM W. GURLEY
William W. Gurley is now and has been for thirty-five years past a member of the Chicago Bar. He was born at Mt. Gilead, Ohio, January 27, 1851. His father, Judge John J. Gurley, was a native of St. Lawrence county, state of New York, and located at Mt. Gilead in the year 1850, and was an honored and prominent member of the bar of Morrow county until his death April 30, 1887.
When Judge Gurley came to Mt. Gilead he formed a partnership for two years with Thomas W. Bartley. who was afterwards one of the judges of the Supreme Court of Ohio, from February 9, 1852, until February 9, 1859, and with Samuel J. Kirkwood, both of Mansfield, Ohio, under the firm name of Gurley, Bartley and Kirkwood. Mr. Kirkwood later removed to Iowa and became governor, and in 1881-2 was secretary of the interior in President Garfield's Cabinet. The mother of William W. Gurley was Anseville Carr Armentrout Gurley. She was one of the most poetic, gentle and amiable wives and mothers that the writer of this sketch ever knew. She was a native of Richland county, Ohio. She died April 2, 1882, and she and husband lie side by side in River Cliff cemetery, Mt. Gilead, Ohio. Our subject has the best reasons to feel proud of his ancestry.
He attended the Union School in Mt. Gilead, and at the age of sixteen years was admitted at the Ohio Wesleyan University, Delaware, Ohio, and was graduated therefrom in 1870, shortly after he became nineteen years of age. The degree of Bachelor of Arts has been conferred on him by his Alma Mater. He was admitted to the bar by the district court within and for Morrow county, Ohio, on June 19, 1873, and in Illinois on the second day of April 11, 1875. On May 1, 1876, he became a member of the firm of Cooper, Packard and Gurley, which firm continued for about two years, when the firm of Cooper and Gurley was organized and which remained in existence for about six years. Since the dissolution of the last named firm he has practiced alone. Of later years he has been chiefly occupied with the affairs of corporations. He has for many years been general counsel of the Metropolitan West Side Elevated Railway Company and of the Chicago Railways Company and its predecessor companies.
On October 28, 1878, he was married to Miss Mary Eva Turney, daughter of the late Joseph Turney, of Cleveland, Ohio, late treasurer of the state of Ohio. Of this marriage there were born three children, the eldest, William Turney Gurley. dying in infancy. The second, a daughter, Helen Kathryn, was born September 15, 1890, and is still living. The third, a son, John Turney Gurley, was born December 15, 1893, and died October 26, 1903. The daughter is a graduate of the class of 1909 of the Misses Masters School at Dobbs Ferry, New York. [Source: "History of Morrow County, Ohio: A Narrative Account...", Volume 2; By Abraham J. Baughman, Robert Franklin Bartlett; Lewis Publishing co, 1911 - BZ - Sub by FoFG]
ROBERT FRANKLIN BARTLETT
Ralph Waldo Emerson has said that "The true history of a state or nation is told in the lives of its people." It is probable that no one will take issue with this and thus is apparent the value of a work of the character of the "History of Morrow County," for it is purposed that in its genealogical department be published true and authentic reviews of the lives and achievements of those good and worthy citizens who have been builders of this great commonwealth. With Robert Franklin Bartlett is presented as one of Morrow county's most prominent and well esteemed citizens, one of the seniors of the legal fraternity as well as patriot who enlisted his services in the cause which he believed to be just at the time of the great civil strife which disrupted the country, and he shed his blood on Southern battlefields.
Robert Franklin Bartlett is a genial, cordial, scholarly gentleman of the so-called old school, a man of fine character, venerated by all. Everywhere known for his upright, honorable Christian life, his influence is one of the most valuable and beneficent in the community and no praise from the biographer can add to the honor which he enjoys. The fine old Buckeye state has furnished her full quota of brilliant men who have reached an exalted place in the affairs of the nation and Morrow county puts forth Mr. Bartlett as a part of her offering to the galaxy. He is a native son of the country, his birth having occurred April 8, 1840, in Mt. Gilead, and he is the second in order of birth in a family of nine children, five of whom were sons and four daughters. Three sons and one daughter survive, and Mr. Bartlett is the eldest of this number. The parents were Abner M. and Sarah (Nickolas) Bartlett. Concerning the surviving members of the family the following data are entered. Juliette is the widow of John B. Gatchell and resides in Pomona, California. Her husband served from April 20, 1861, until August 15, 1865, in the Union army and was wounded at the battle of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. She was educated in the Mt. Gilead schools and afterward taught in the county. Albert W. is likewise a resident of Pomona, California, where he is engaged in citrus culture and where he has met with success in life. The maiden name of his wife was Anna, Graham and she was originally from Morrow county; Nathan H. is a citizen of Winfield, Kansas, and for a quarter of a century he has engaged in the pedagogical profession. He was educated in the Mt. Gilead schools, in Baldwin University, at Berea, Ohio, and in the normal school at Lebanon, Ohio, from which later he was graduated in the class of 1884. He now holds the office of principal of the schools of Burden, Kansas. His wife's name was Cora Bartlett before marriage, but they were not related.
The father of him whose name initiates this review was three times married, and the children mentioned are all of the first union. His second marriage was with Miss Eliza Annett Adams, and three of their children are living at the present time. The eldest, Fred W., is a resident of Trenton, Missouri, where he is a dealer in real estate. He received a practical education and has proved successful in life. His wife's name was Ella Cox. Annette May is the widow of Joseph Scott, and makes her home in Spokane, Washington. She is a woman of fine capabilities and has filled a number of high positions, fuller mention of her career being made on other pages of this work.
Abner M. Bartlett traced his lineage to the English people. He was born, however, in Delaware county, Ohio, April 16, 1816, and died August 31, 1885. In early life he received a thorough training in a two-fold capacity, that of an agriculturist and a skilled mechanic. Living in pioneer days, his educational advantages naturally were meagre, but he improved his time with self conducted study and he became one of the well informed men of his day and locality. In the matter of politics he was a Jackson Democrat, and remained such until the formation of the Republican party in 1856, and he cast his vote for the first presidential nominee of that party, General John C. Fremont. He was a zealous member of the Methodist Episcopal church. His wife, Sarah Nickols Bartlett, was a native of Loudoun county, Virginia, her birth occurring there January 7, 1819, and she died March 27. 1856. Her parents were Nathan and Sarah (Thomas) Nickols and her father was of English lineage. Her maternal grandparents were Owen and Martha (Davis) Thomas, both of Welsh extraction, and both born in the state of Pennsylvania, the former on May 12, 1754. The father of Owen Thomas was David Thomas, born at London Tract, Pennsylvania, August 16, 1726. He was educated at Hopewell, New Jersey, and in Brown University, of Providence, Rhode Island, where in 1769 the degree of Master of Arts was conferred upon him. He was a Baptist minister and his ecclesiastical duties brought him to Piedmont Valley in 1765 or previous to that date. A champion of civil and religious liberty he suffered severe persecutions. He was a contemporary of Patrick Henry and Thomas Jefferson and.was held by both of these patriots and statesmen in high esteem, and as their senior he was venerated by them as the friend of liberty and justice. The death of this worthy man occurred in Jessamine county, Kentucky, July 5, 1796. David Thomas was the son of David Thomas senior who left his native country, Wales, in 1700, and upon arriving in America located at Guinead, Bucks county, Pennsylvania. His son, David Jr., the preacher and patriot, was one of the Revoltionary heroes and through him and through Owen Thomas, his grandson, who was a soldier in the Revolution, the subject is elegible to membership in that august organization, the Sons of the American Revolution.
Robert Franklin Bartlett, the immediate subject of this review, received his elementary education in the common schools of the county, and subsequently entered the Mt. Gilead high school. It was his ambition to supplement such training as was afforded by the state, and in October, 1860, he entered the Ohio Weslyan University as a student in the literary department. Soon, however, the tocsin of war sounded and Mr. Bartlett, like so many of the Buckeye state's noble youth, responded to the call, enlisting in Company D, Ninty-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, under Captain William M. Dwyer, at Mt. Gilead, Ohio. He assumed the blue August 2, 1862, and the regiment rendezvoused at Camp Delaware. The regiment, which was at first a part of the Army of Ohio, was ultimately merged with the Army of the Cumberland and placed in command of General A. J. Smith. In November, 1862, they were transferred again to the Army of the Tennessee, Thirteenth Army Corps, commanded by General U. S. Grant. At that time there were about eighty thousand men in the Thirteenth Army Corps.
On Christmas Day, 1862, General Stephen G. Burbridge's brigade, marched from Millikens Bend, Louisiana, thirty miles from Vicksburg, and advanced twenty-eight miles in a southwesterly direction, destroying the railroads and bridges for miles. The first engagement in which Mr. Bartlett participated was at Chick- asaw Bayou, northwest of the city of Vicksburg, on December 28 and 29, 1863, in which the Federal army was repulsed. Probably the most important action in which he figured was that of Arkansas Post, January 11, 1863, and it was upon this occasion that he came very near to death. He was acting at this time as first sergeant of his company. The Rebels were engaged in shelling the Federals and the men were lying down to escape the shells, when one burst over Mr. Bartlett and his comrades and killed the second sergeant of Company F, B. F. High, who was just behind Mr. Bartlett. The next shell burst so closely to his head that the concussion injured his right eye and so seriously that he was completely disabled and to this day he carries such memento of the Civil war. That same afternoon the Federals captured Arkansas Post. Disabled as he was Mr. Bartlett remained with his company, and the next expedition was February 14, 1863, to Greenville, Mississippi, the regiment making a two weeks' trip with one weeks' rations, and experiencing much artillery skirmishing. Mr. Bartlett 's regiment and the Sixth Indiana were left at Perkin 's Plantation on March 31st, to guard Grant's supplies and they later, on May 28, joined the investment line and assisted in preserving a state of seige at Vicksburg until July 4, 1863, when General Pemberton surrendered to General Grant, and of this interesting period of the war Mr. Bartlett has many entertaining incidents to relate. After the seige of Vicksburg the Thirteenth Army Corps was detached from the Army of the Tennessee and sent to join the Army of the Gulf under General Banks, leaving Vicksburg for this purpose August 25, 1863, and going by transports to New Orleans. On November 3, 1863, Mr. Bartlett was wounded in the left forearm and elbow by a gun shot, the engagement being that of Grand Coteau, Louisiana. For some weeks he carried the minie ball in his arm, but the member was finally amputated at St. James Hospital, New Orleans, December 3, 1863. On January 25, 1864, he received his honorable discharge at New Orleans, and returned to Ohio, making the journey via the Atlantic ocean to New York city and thence across country. At Grand Coteau he had his sole experience as a prisoner, but was exchanged the day after his capture. The Rebel and Federal prisoners were housed in a Southern mansion, whose mistress was a Mrs. Rogers, and no matter what uniform was worn, they were equally well cared for by the servants on her orders.
After his return to Morrow county and the pursuits of peace Mr. Bartlett for a time engaged in school teaching, acting as pedagogue for the home school in the winters of 1865 and 1866, in Sunfish district. In the spring of 1866 he assumed the office of deputy clerk in the office of Dr. James M. Briggs and he remained in such capacity until October, 1866, when he was elected clerk of courts. He succeeded himself in 1869 and again in 1872 and each time received the nomination by acclamation in the Republican convention. In 1876 Mr. Bartlett began upon the gratification of a long cherished ambition, beginning the study of the law with Thomas H. Dalrymple in 1877 and in June, 1878, was admitted to the bar. In October of the year last mentioned he removed from Mt. Gilead to Cardington and there spent sixteen and one half years in the practice of the law. In April, 1895, however, he returned to Mt. Gilead, and here resumed the practice begun here so many years before, winning recognition over a wide teritory and enjoying high prestige in his profession both among the fraternity and the laity. His gifts are of the highest character and his legal career is an ornament to the pages chronicling the history of jurisprudence in the state. He has been practically retired since 1909, but still does some office work, many of his old patrons coming to him for legal advice. His pretty hospitable home is situated upon Main street (north) and is one of the most popular abodes in the place.
Mr. Bartlett is a sound and true Republican and cast his first vote for the martyred Lincoln, and is proud of the fact that he has supported every candidate put forth by the "Grand Old Party" since that time. In 1865 he was elected a delegate to represent his regiment as a Republican in the State Convention. He is one of the most enthusiastic of Grand Army men and has been a delegate to the national encampment at Milwaukee in 1889, and also to the state encampments at Akron, Sandusky, Cincinnati, Zanes- ville and Belfountaine. He was a charter member of the James St. John Post, No. 82, Grand Army of the Republic, at Cardington, and at the present time is quartermaster of the Hurd Post, No. 114, of Mt. Gilead. He has served as post commander of both Knights of Pythias, at Mt. Gilead, and of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, No. 194, at Cardington, and in both orders he has passed all the chairs. Although reared a Methodist, both Mr. Bartlett and his wife are members of the Presbyterian church.
Mr. Bartlett wedded Miss Martha M. Miller April 8, 1867, their union occurring at her father's home near Mt. Gilead. She is the second in order of birth in a family of seven children, five sons and two daughters, born to Nehemiah and Rachael (Straw) Miller. Of the number six are still living. Elwood Miller is a resident of Portland, Oregon. His wife previous to her marriage, was Miss Harriet McCurdy. He is an honored veteran of the Civil war, having served for three years as a member of the Sixty-fifth Regiment of Ohio Volunteer Infantry. John F. is a citizen of Wisconsin, where he is engaged in railroad work. He married Philothea Bruck. Parker J., who resides near Mt. Gilead, married Miss Luzilla McCullough. William Edwin resides in Mt. Gilead and is superintendent of its electric light plant. His wife previous to her marriage was Sarah Lucretia George. Melville D. makes his home on a farm one-half mile from Cardington, and is a successful agriculturist and former teacher in the Morrow county schools. He married Miss Emma Adams. Lucinda is the widow of Lemuel H. Breese and a resident of Mt. Gilead, Ohio. Her deceased husband served three years in Company D, Ninety-sixth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry.
Mrs. Bartlett 's father was a native of Washington county, Pennsylvania, born there October 27, 1831, and he died July 5, 1902, at Mt. Gilead. He was a carpenter by trade and later in life a farmer. He received his education in the common schools and politically was first a Free Soiler and later in life a Republican. He was an elder in the Presbyterian church, as were also his father and four of his brothers. Mrs. Bartlett 's paternal grandmother's name was Pamelia Harris and her father, George Harris, as well as two of his brothers, were soldiers in the battle of Monmouth in the Revolutionary war. Many a time George Harris saw the great and good Washington and he was one of the brave soldiers to whom the presence of the General gave strength to bear the ordeals of the terrible winter campaign of Valley Forge. Her paternal grandfather, Joseph Miller, was a soldier in the war of 1812. For ten years Mrs. Bartlett has been a member of Mary Washington Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, at Mansfield, Ohio. Her mother was a native of Morrow county, formerly of Knox county, her birth having occurred there December 18, 1817, and her death, July 23, 1862. She was educated in the common schools, was a strict member of the Presbyterian church, and she was known far and wide for her nobility of life. To the local public schools is Mrs. Bartlett indebted for her preliminary education and she was subsequently enrolled as a student in the Young Ladies' Seminary of Mt. Gilead, presided over by Mrs. Spalding. In young woman hood she was a successful teacher in the Morrow county schools for two years and then took up clerical work in the office of the clerk of court, of which her husband was incumbent. His eyesight was poor and for nine years she gave him excellent assistance in the duties of his office. This estimable lady plays a leading role in the many-sided life of the community. She holds membership in the Women's Christian Temperance Union and she was one of the organizers of the Mt. Gilead Free Library Association, while at the present time being a trustee. She likewise is a valued member of the Ladies' Twentieth Century Club of Mt. Gilead. Both she and her husband are members of the Presbyterian church and are active in its good work.
Mr. and Mrs. Bartlett are the parents of one daughter, Mary Francis, the wife of William A. Jolly, one of Mt. Gilead 'a progressive and estimable young men, who is engaged in the retail shoe business. [Source: "History of Morrow County, Ohio: A Narrative Account...", Volume 2; By Abraham J. Baughman, Robert Franklin Bartlett; Lewis Publishing co, 1911 - BZ - Sub by FoFG]
SAMUEL P. GAGE
Samuel P. Gage cashier of the People's Saving Bank Company, of Mt. Gilead, Ohio, was born in Morrow county, Ohio, October 2, 1850, and is a representative of one of the pioneer families of this locality. His parents, William F. and Mary J. (Price) Gage, passed the greater part of their lives in Morrow county. William F. Gage was born in Woodbridge, New Jersey, a son of Phillip and Deborah (Flood) Gage, with whom when a boy he came to Ohio and settled near Sparta, in Bennington township. Morrow county, where he grew to manhood and married. He owned one hundred and forty acres of land in Bennington township, to the cultivation and improvement of which he devoted his energies for many years, up to the time of his death, which occurred in 1898. Politically he was a Republican, radical and enthusiastic, and for years was active in local politics. He was a staunch member of the Methodist Episcopal church, as is also his widow, now eighty years of age. Her parents, John Price and wife, were natives of Pennsylvania. Of the children of William F. and Mary J. Gage we record that J. P., the eldest, is a resident of Kansas ; Samuel P., next in order of birth, is the subject of this sketch ; Eliza A. is the wife of William Hunt of Morrow county ; P. W. is a resident of Delaware, Ohio; and Elsworth is engaged in railroad business at Alexander, Ohio.
Reared on his father's farm, Samuel P. Gage attended district school until he was sixteen years of age, after which he was a student at Galena High School and Cardington High School and later spent two years at Lebanon, Ohio, where he took a course in the National Normal University. In the meantime he taught school, beginning when he was eighteen, and by this means paid his own way while he pursued his higher studies. All told, he taught school sixty months, a part of this time being principal of a private school. And his experience as teacher added to the value of his service when he was made a member of the School Board of Mt. Gilead.
In 1873 Mr. Gage built the Central House at Marengo, Ohio, which he operated for eight years, and at the same time filled the office of township clerk. In 1881 he was elected clerk of Morrow county. He was the incumbent of this office two terms, having been re-elected, and served in all six years. Afterward, for a period of six years, he was secretary and treasurer of the Hydraulic Press Manufacturing Company. Then he engaged in banking. For eleven years he was cashier of the National Bank of Morrow County, and at the end of that time he was one of the organizers of the People's Saving Bank Company, which began business April 23, 1904, and of which he has from that date held the position of cashier. At the present writing, 1911, this bank has a deposit of two hundred thousand dollars, and its officers are as follows: Dr. W. B. Robinson, president; W. M. Carlisle, vice president ; Dr. N. Tucker, second vice president ; S. P. Gage, cashier; A. C. Duncan, assistant cashier; and Z. A. Powers, teller. During his successful business career Mr. Gage has accumulated considerable property, including two valuable farms in Morrow county, one of two hundred and eighty acres in Gilead township and the other, four hundred and forty acres in Bennington township, and residence property at Mt. Gilead and Columbus. He and his family reside in their pleasant home on Cherry street Mt. Gilead. Mrs. Gage, formerly, Miss Alice Sherman, born April 18, 1851, is a daughter of Daniel Sherman and previous to her marriage was engaged in teaching. She and Mr. Gage were married in 1872, and they are the parents of one son, Ralph P., born January 5, 1875, who is a graduate of both the Mt. Gilead High School and Delaware College, he having received the degree of A. B. at the age of twenty-one years. He is now engaged in the practice of law at Los Angeles, California.
Like his father before him, Mr. Gage is an active and influential member of the Methodist Episcopal church. He is a member of the official board, and at the time of the building of the Methodist church edifice in Mt. Gilead he served as chairman of the building committee. Fraternally he is identified with Mt. Gilead Lodge, No. 169, IOOF., and Encampment No. 59, and in the latter was a member of the board of trustees. Mr. and Mrs. Gage were charter members of the Rebekahs at Mt. Gilead, Ohio, Lodge 352. They have crossed the continent of America twice, visiting their son. [Source: "History of Morrow County, Ohio: A Narrative Account...", Volume 2; By Abraham J. Baughman, Robert Franklin Bartlett; Lewis Publishing co, 1911 - BZ - Sub by FoFG]
JACOB MILLER, JR.
Jacob Miller, Jr., farmer; P. O. Shaunks; born in Cumberland Co., Pa., Sept. 2, 1825, and is a son of Jacob Miller, who was born March 17, 1792, in Lancaster Co, Pa., whose wife was Catharine Cassel, born in Dauphin Co., Pa., in 1792, and died April 30, 1878. The family emigrated to Richland Co. when Jacob, Jr. was 5 years of age, where they remained until 1841 when they moved to Congress Twp., and became permanent residents. At the age of 23 Jacob was married to Mary J. Wright, who was born in Richland County. Jacob’s father was a wagon-maker by trade, which business he followed for eight years; after this he engaged in farming. Jacob has now a good farm, consisting of 168 acres. Their children’s names are Jason, Asa, Mary A., Virda and Zenis. His wife and Mary A. are members of the Disciple Church. [Source: pg. 692, "History of Morrow County and Ohio : containing a brief history of the state of Ohio from its earliest settlement to the present time...", Chicago: O.L. Baskin, 1880 - NP - Sub by FoFG]
M. C. Wolford, farmer, P. O., Andrews; is a native of Dauphin Co., Pa., and was born Aug. 24, 1820; is the eldest of a family of eight children, born to George and Esther (Cassel) Wolford, both of Pennsylvania. Michael Cassel, came west with his parents when he was but 10 years of age, they located in Franklin Tp., Richland Co. Here he was raised and stayed until he was 23 years of age. Jan. 23, 1843, he was united in wedlock to Elizabeth Kohler, who was born April 15, 1822, in Adams Co., Pa; her father’s name was Jacob, whose wife was Elizabeth Miller. After the marriage Mr. Wolford moved to Blooming Grove Twp., where he bought eighty acres in “the woods,” which he cleared up, and upon which he lived nine years. March 25, 1852, he moved to this township and bought 160 acres of land, situated 2 ½ miles north of Williamsport, on the “angling” road, leading to Mt. Gilead; he has a splendid location, one of the finest in the township; he has since added to his original purchase, having now 240 acres. They have five children – Mary E., now Mrs. C. B. Hart, John G., Uriah E., Leah M., now Mrs. Allen Peoples, and Jacob C. March 19, 1880, Mr. Wolford Bid a sad farewell to the companion of his wedded life; an amiable lady, a kind mother and affectionate wife, as well as a truly Christian woman. Mr. Wolford is a member of the Disciple Church, of which his wife was a constant member. [Source: pgs 701-702, "History of Morrow County and Ohio : containing a brief history of the state of Ohio from its earliest settlement to the present time...", Chicago: O.L. Baskin, 1880]
EDWIN FOUST came to his present farm of forty-eight acres, on section 19 in Jefferson Township, in 1870. Upon the theory of Horace Greeley, that a moderate amount of land well cultivated is more desirable than a large extent partially neglected, he has labored with most excellent results. In addition to the raising of the cereals and vegetables for his household use he has given considerable attention to the breeding of live stock, and has been finely prospered, besides having one of the neatest and most attractive homesteads in the township. As a member of the community he is held in high respect, having proved himself a first-class citizen, and without openly professing Christianity has endeavored to do unto others as he would that they should do unto him.
Our subject, who is in the prime of life, was born in Morrow County, Ohio, Oct. 22, 1840.
His parents, Samuel and Cynthia (Cutler) Foust, were natives respectively of Ohio and Vermont, the father having been born in Delaware County, Oct. 5, 1815. He also followed farming and merchandising to some extent, besides owning and operating a potash and pearlash factory. He left the Buckeye State in 1853, and coming to Michigan purchased land, a part of which lay in Cambria and a part in Jefferson Township, and which now belongs to our subject. The parental household included twelve children, eight of whom are living, three in Michigan and five in Ohio.
Samuel Foust endorsed Republican principles after the organization of that party, and in religious views was a Baptist. He cast his last vote in the fall of 1887, and died Jan. 14, 1888, in Williams County, Ohio, to which he had returned to live in 1873. The mother is also deceased.
The boyhood and youth of Edwin Foust were spent mostly at his father's farm, and he received a common-school education. He commenced life for himself upon reaching his majority, and was married when past the thirty-third year of his age, Dec. 1, 1873, to Miss Elizabeth Cope, who was born April 30, 1840, in Marion County, Ohio, and is the daughter of Abram and Elizabeth Cope.
After his marriage he worked his father's farm seven years, and in 1870 purchased twenty acres, and subsequently added to his real estate by the further purchase of twenty acres. He is the father of two children only: His daughter Etta, who was born Jan. 8, 1865, was married to John Watkins, a well-to-do farmer of Jefferson Township, and they have one child; the son, Judson, was born July 26, 1875, and is now taking a course of study in the Montpelier (Ohio) graded school. Mr. Foust, like his father, is a Republican, politically, and is one of those upright and straightforward citizens who universally command respect among their neighbors.
[Source: Page 695, "Portrait and biographical album of Hillsdale county, Mich., containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of the state, and of the presidents of the United States. Chicago, Chapman Brothers, 1888, Submitted by Judith]
JOHN H WATKINS
JOHN H WATKINS, of Ransom Township, one of the prosperous, progressive and successful farmers of Hillsdale county is a native of the county, born here in Jefferson Township on August 22, 1861, and with the exception of a short time spent in farming in Ohio, his life has passed among the people of the county, entering fully into the spirit which animates them, helping to advance the interest of the section and taking an active part in its public life.
He is the son of Jason R. and Margaret A. (Feltis) Watkins. and interesting account of whose life will be found elsewhere in these pages. He remained at home until he reached his legal majority, getting his education at the district schools and Hillsdale College, where he attended one year.
After leaving college he rented land in Ohio, and during one year was engaged in farming in that state.
He then returned to his native county, and here followed the same pursuit, farming rented land, until I896. In that year he bought the eighty-five acres on which he now lives, and which he has since managed with skill and intelligent industry, making it an excellent farm and a very comfortable and attractive home. Mr. Watkins is energetic, progressive and thrifty, being out of debt and with capital to properly push his enterprises and make himself useful in the community and helpful to others who are going through the struggle he has had.
He is a Republican in politics, with an earnest interest in the welfare of his party, and breadth of view and public spirit in helping to conduct its affars. He has rendered faithful service to his township as highway commissioner during the past two years, performing his official duties with an eye single to the general good of the community and without reference to personal interests for himself or others. He is a valued member of the lodge of Foresters at Hillsdale.
On January 10, 1883, he was married to Miss Etta Foust, a native of Montpelier, Ohio, daughter of Edwin and Elizabeth (Cope) Foust, the former a native of Ohio and the latter of Pennsylvania. For a number of years they have been residents of Jefferson township in this county. Mr. and Mrs. Watkins have three children, their daughters, Alta M., Grace and Avice E. The parents are members of the South Jefferson Congregational church. [pgs 432-433, "Compendium Of History And Biography Of Hillsdale County, Michigan", Elon G. Reynolds, Editor, Chicago, A. W. Bowen and Company, 1903 - Submitted by Judith]
WILLIAM F. BARTLETT
William F. Bartlett, merchant: Chesterville, Ohio (now transiently At Upper Sandusky, Ohio,) This gentleman, whose portrait appears in this work, is one of the oldest merchants in the county, he having spent 50 years in commercial pursuits in the vicinity of Chesterville. He was born in Clinton (as it was then called), 2 miles north of Mt Vernon, Knox Co., Ohio in April 1813. His education was limited to the facilities of the old log school houses of his period. He attending the Clinton, Plummers and Work Schools, located in the neighborhood of his birth place. At the age of 17 he engaged in the store of Mr. Gilman Bryant, at Mr. Vernon, and clerked for him for 3 years; he then served 1 year with T. W. Rogers & Co. of the same place. February 1, 1834, he moved to Chesterville, Ohio, and assisted Mr. William Shur in closing out a stock of auction goods. In September following he went to New York with I. Warner Miller, and purchased a stock of good for the firm of Bartlett & Shur, who opened in October 1834, at Chesterville. Our subject’s father, Hugh Bartlett, came to Chesterville in 1835, and died in 1837. Messrs. Shur & Barlett took the stock in store at appraisement, under the firm name of Shur & Bartlett. They continued until 1841 when the business was disposed of; during this year he bought a farm of R. E. Lord, and began improving same; also built a place for his mother in Chesterville. In 1842 he again went into merchandising with his brother George, firm, W. F. Bartlett & Co; they continued for 6 years, when it changed to Wm F. & G. V. Bartlett, Mr. William F. living on his farm part of this time. In the fall of 1845 he and his brother, C. T. occupied their new store in Chesterville, and later the firm of Bartlett & Moore was formed, and the business is continued under that name. Few indeed are they who can boast of 50 years of commercial life. During this long term Mr. Bartlett has seen whole generations pass away, and a vast forest turned to a productive county; the old lonesome and winding wood road turned to well attended highways, dotted with beautiful homes and leading to cities then unknown. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state ..."
By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]
JOHN THEODORE BUCK, County Surveyor; Cardington, Ohio, who’s portrait appears in this work, was born in Lincoln Township (then in Delaware Co.) on the old homestead where he now lives, May 24 1832. His father, Edmund Buck, was a native of Connecticut, and came, when a young man, to Peru Township in Delaware Co., Ohio, about 1813. He soon after married Anna Hubbell, a native of New York, and after purchasing, settled in 1817 on the land now owned by the subject of our sketch; here John divided his time between the farm and the district school until 21 years of age, gaining a good common school education. During the years 1853-54 he attended Mt. Hesper Seminary, under the tuition of Jesse and Cynthia Harkness, whose names have almost become household words in this vicinity. In the winters of 1844-45, and 1862 he taught school; in 1856 he entered the Ohio Wesleyan University, at Delaware, Ohio, where he paid especial attention to the department of civil engineering; in the following year he was appointed Deputy County Surveyor of Morrow Co. under Thomas Sharp; he served under him for the balance of the unexpired term, doing the greater part of the business of the office, and on the 11th day of October, 1859, was elected to the office of surveyor on the Republican ticket. Mr. Buck has filled this office with rare acceptance, and has been re-elected time after time, until he is now serving on his twenty third year of service, with two more to fill out in his unexpired term; his ability in the line of his profession is recognized abroad, and he is frequently called into adjoining counties for the purpose of making surveys or hunting up lost lines and corners. During the winter of 1879-80, Mr. Buck prepared for the County Commissioners of Morrow Co an elaborate set of maps for the use of the county, which are greatly admired for the elegance of the drawing, and the accuracy of the plats. Mr. Buck is also a Notary Public, having served as such since Feb. 10, 1870; in 1863 he was commissioned First Lieutenant in the first regiment of Ohio Militia, and subsequently, on the 16th day of September, 1863, was promoted to the position of Lieutenant Colonel of said regiment. In 1862, during the Rebellion, he served in the defense of the Southern border of Ohio against the threatened invasion from Kentucky. Mr. Buck was united in marriage to Miss Martha Ann Nichols, Nov 19, 1863; the latter was born in Lincoln Township, July 5 1844. Five children have been born to them – Thaddeus Eugene, Arthur Henry, Annie Mary, Minnie and Ralph. Annie Mary died of that dreadful scourge – diphtheria- Oct 26, 1875, aged four years and 24 days. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state ..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]
B. ANDREWS, attorney at law; Mt Gilead. Of the successful and highly respected attorneys of the Morrow County Bar, may be mentioned Mr. B. Andrews, who was born in Westfield, Chautauqua Co. N.Y. October 21 1822, and is the son of Erastus and Polly (Freeman) Andrews; his mother was born in Massachusetts, and his father in Vermont; our subject was raised on the farm, where he remained until he was about 20 years of age, when, in 1826, with his parents, he came west to Ohio, and located in Medina County, and formed the village of Westfield in that county; his father died there in 1846 and his mother died near Westfield, in 1873. Our subject, after obtaining a good common school education in the Wadsworth Academy, and a select school by Henry Bates, began the study of law in the office of C. A. Lake, of Medina, where he remained about one year, when he went to Wooster, where he entered the law office of Cox & Wason; and in 1846 he was admitted to the bar in Wooster, when he returned to Medina and commenced the practice of law, which he continued in Medina for some three years, when, in June 1849, he came to Mt. Gilead and began the practice of law, during which time he has formed partnerships with E. F. Riley, one year; Henry Albach, one year; D. Rogers six years and in 1875 the present firm of Andrews & Allison was formed, which today is one of the strongest law firms of Morrow County. In 1864 Mr. Andrews was elected to the office of prosecuting attorney, and re-elected to same office in 1866, which he filled with credit and honor for four years. He was married September 8, 1844, in Wooster, Ohio to Miss Rachel hand. They have six children. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state ..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]
O. ALLISON, wool dealer; Mt. Gilead; was born in Greene County, Pennsylvania, July 25, 1811, and lived there three years; the family then came to Ohio and farmed in Columbiana County and lived on same until he was 11 years of age; he was then bound out for seven years to Mr. Orth, a woolen manufacturer, and continued with him six years thereafter; he then went into partnership with Thomas Wallace, and in a cabinet making shop at New Lisbon, and followed the business until 1844, when he came to Delaware, now Morrow Co., and engaged in buying sheep and wool; which business he has since continued in. In 1872 his son, Abner, became a partner in the business. Mr. Allison has been thrice married. First to Jemima Burt, a native of Columbiana Co Ohio Sept 5, 1833; she died Oct 10, 1840; of their three children two are living; John and James. William died at Paducah, KY while in the army (20th O.V.I). His second wife was Lydia Wheeler, a native of Columbiana Co., Ohio; they were married June 10, 1841; she died Sept 9, 1861; they had nine children, seven now living: Charles, Abner, Melville, Isorah, Jane, Ellen and Kate. His present wife was Lydia Thompson, a native of York Co., Pennsylvania. They were married March 16, 1864; they have no children. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state ..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]
HENRY ADAMS, livery: Mt. Gilead ; Mr. Adams’ stables are located on Center Street. He is the son of John F. and Jane (Fitting) Adams; was born on Feb 23, 1830, in Lexington, Richland Co.; his father was engaged in the mercantile business for about forty years and died in 1864. Henry left home March 24, 1850, being then 20 years of age; he went to California, where he remained two years, when he returned and engaged in the dry goods business, with his father, in Mt. Gilead, until 1856, when he took a trip to Northern Iowa, which consumed about six months, when he returned and went into the dry goods trade, with George E. House; he remained with him until 1861, when he went to work for the father of Mr. House, until 1865, when he bought out the grocery and provision stock of Dunn & Roland, and continued in that business for about two years, when he sold to T. B. Reynolds & Bro.; after which, in company with R. P. Halliday, he purchased the stock of dry goods of E. P. George; one year later he sold out to Allen Levering, and remained with Mr. Levering seven years, or until 1874; he was then with Talmage & Styles one year, since which time, he has been in his present business, first with L. Corwin, for two years. Since Sept 1877, Mr. Adams has had for his partner E. C. Chase; they are conducting a first class livery stable, and are ready at all times to accommodate the traveling public. Mr. Adams was married in 1859. They have two children, Frank and Jennie. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state ..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]
D. R. AXTELL, farmer; P. O. Gilead Station; was born in Knox Co., Ohio, June 10, 1823, and lived there until 1837; he then went to Logan Co. with his father, his mother having died June 19, 1923. In 1838 they came to Marion (now Morrow) Co., and settled near Mt. Gilead, and he worked in that vicinity; November 2, 1848 he married Miss Catharine, Daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth (Dillon) Brown; she was born in Knox Co., Ohio; after the marriage he settled on his present place, which he had previously bought, and has lived here since, except about fourteen months, spent in traveling West, in Indiana, Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas; of their three children, two are living- Lou and Nettie; he has eighty acres two miles northwest of Gilead Station, and forty acres in Canaan Tp., this county, which he had obtained by his own labor. He and his wife and family are members of the M. E. Church; he since 1839 and Mrs. Axtell for the past thirty years; he has always taken an active interest in church affairs, and has served as steward for twenty six years. He has also served as Sabbath School Supt. His parents, Isaac and Rebecca Riggs Axtell, were probably natives of Pa; they settled in Knox Co, Ohio, about the year 1817; she died here in Knox Co., after which he married Mrs. Abigail Jewell, with whom he lived until his death, in Logan Co., Ohio, in the spring of 1838. They had no children; she lived with her children by her first marriage, until her death in Union Co., Ohio. By Mr.Axtell’s first marriage, there were ten children, of whom but one is living – D.R. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state ..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]
ELI ASHWILL, farmer; P. O. Gilead Station; was born in Canaan Tp., Marion (now Morrow ) Co., Ohio July 17, 1835, and lived with his parents until he was 12 years of age; he then hired out and worked in the vicinity until 1857; January 19, of that year, he married Miss Sarah Cook. She was born in Knox Co. Ohio. After his marriage he lived with his father-in-law and farmed the place and later bought the part he now lives on, and which now contain sixty eight acres, adjoining the village of Gilead Station. By this marriage there were nine children, eight now living; Florence L., Elmer E., H. Estell, Fred, Jennie, Burt, Rosie B., and Nelson B. His parents, James and his second wife Agnes (Stewart) Ashwill were natives of Virginia; they married there, and, in 1826, came to Ohio and settled in Canaan Tp., where by purchase and entry, they owned 160 acres of land, and lived there with what comforts the pioneer days afforded. He died here in the year 1842. Mrs. Ashwill went to Illinois, and lived with her son until her death in 1856. They had nine children, seven of whom are now living; John, Living in Illinois ; Robert, in Kansas ; Richard, in Illinois ; Eli, in Morrow Co., Ohio ; Frank D., in Delaware Co., Ohio ; Henry and Nelson C., in Kansas. All are married and have families, and are well to do. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state ..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]
EDWIN H. BREES, farmer; P. O. Mt. Gilead; was born in New Jersey, Sept 30th, 1829, and when but six months of age his parents came to Mt. Gilead, Ohio, where his father engaged at his trade of wagon making, and was probably about the first in the place. Edwin H. Attended school until he was about 18 years of age; he also worked at farming some, and when 19 he was apprenticed to the carpenters’ and joiners’ trade with Townsend & Miller, and followed the business for twelve years. He also served as express agent for thirteen years, and was for two years in the livery business, the firm being Corwin & Brees; they ran a hack line and had the mail route; he then engaged in the grocery business, and continued in the same most of the time for eleven years, when, owing to the partial loss of his sight, he retired from business for four years, when he moved to his present place and has lived here since. May 28 1854, he married Miss Harriet Talmage; she was born in Knox, now Morrow Co., of their three children two are living, viz: Lafe B., druggist, now in Leadville, Co., and Charles S., apprenticed to carpenters’ trade at Mt. Gilead. His parents, Alfred and Rachel ( Lyons ) Brees, were natives of New Jersey. They married there, and came here as stated. He served as justice of the Peace in the early days of Lincoln Tp., and was one of the well known men of that period. By the marriage there were five children, four of whom are living; viz: Edwin H. on the old homestead; Stephen, now living in Chase Co., Kans.; Caroline, married and living in Chase Co., Ks; Sidney A., living in Chase Co, Ks. After the death of Mrs. Rees, he married Miss Hannah Mosher, by whom he had seven children, six of whom are living, viz: Asa M., Rachiel, and now Mrs. G. L. Wood, of this Co., Joseph, (Hannah and Alfred), and Bathiah, now Mrs. Kirk of Iowa. After the death of his second wife, he married Eunice Mosher, with whom he lived until his death. She is living with her father near Cardington, O. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state ..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]
CHARLES BREESE, farmer and stock raiser; P. O. Mt. Gilead; was born in Morris Co., New Jersey, April 19, 1811, attended school and worked on the farm until he was 17 and was then apprenticed to blacksmithing with William Ford, at Dover, New Jersey, and served with him until he was 21; he then opened a shop at Rockaway, New Jersey, and in 1832 came to Ohio and worked in Mt. Gilead for two years; he then returned to New Jersey and lived there three years, during which time, July 22, 1836, he was married to Miss Phebe Bockoven. She was born in the same place, May 30, 1818. In 1838 he again came to Mt. Gilead and built a residence and shop on some land he had formerly bought, and carried on his business there until 1854, when he sold out and bought his present place, located one mile northeast of Mt. Gilead, and containing ninety acres. At first he bought forty five acres of timber and cleared the same, afterward adding to it. They had six children; three now living; Emeline, now Mrs. Mateer, living in Mt. Gilead; Lemuel H. Blacksmith in Mt. Gilead, and Harriet A., now Mrs. Bargar, living in this vicinity. Mr. Breese came West in a wagon to Mt. Gilead, using the old Pioneer road, and has since crossed between here and New Jersey some twelve or fifteen times. In the early days he took wheat in payment for his work, and hauled the same to Sandusky. His son Lemuel H. enlisted in the 96th O. V. I. Company D., in 1862, and served during the war, being a prisoner some three months. His brother served in the Mexican war. His father served in the war of 1812, and his grandfather served in the war of the Revolution. His parents were Stephen and Harriet ( Ogden ) Breese, natives of Morris Co, New Jersey, and lived there until their death. Mrs. Breese’s parents were George and Margaret (Smith) Bockoven; they were natives of New Jersey ; they died in Morris County. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state ..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]
G. S. BRUCE, farmer; P. O. Mt. Gilead; was born in Culpepper Co., Va., March 26, 1813, and lived there until the fall of 1827, when they moved to Ohio and settled in Knox Co., near Mt. Vernon, and engaged in farming. While living there, June 1, 1829; his father was killed by lighting, while repairing about the barn. They next moved to Knox, now Morrow Co., and later moved to a farm in Chester Township on which a part of the family yet resides. Mr. G. S. Bruce lived there most of the time until 1839, he then lived in different townships, teaching school, and, while at Woodbury, served as Postmaster and Justice of Peace for seven years. In 1851, he moved to Mt. Gilead, and was elected Auditor, a position he held for four years. In 1855, he engaged in the mercantile business, which he followed until 1857. In 1860, he was appointed Postmaster of Mt. Gilead, and served as such nearly six years, since which time he had chiefly been engaged in farming. In May, 1839, he married Miss Hannah Livingston, a native of Washington Co., N.Y.; she died May 7, 1851. They had four children, three now living – Sarah, now Mrs. William Miller; Libbie, now Mrs. H. G. Cooper, and Oswell M., living in Iowa; his present wife was Mrs. Hull, formerly Miss Rachel Adams, and a native of Knox Co., though raised in Richland Co. They have one child, William F., now living in Walla Walla, Washington. His parents, Elijah and Malinda W. (Browning) Bruce, were natives of Culpepper Co., and came to Ohio as stated; she died in 1854. Of their nine children; five are living – J. D., living on the old homestead, near Chesterville, this County; Nancy D., now Mrs. Livingston, living in Monroe, Iowa; Elizabeth S., now Mrs. Thomas, living in Albion, Indiana; John A., at same place and Mr. G. S. Bruce, of Mt.Gilead.
B. A. BARTON, of Miles, Barton & Miles, Mt. Gilead; dry goods; was born in Morrow Co., Ohio, Sept 21, 1852; he lived on his father’s farm until he became of age, and then engaged as clerk with Mr. B. Fogle, in the general merchandise business, and continued one year. He then formed a partnership with Mr. J. L. Swingle and conducted a millinery and notion business, which they continued one year, and sold out. Mr. Barton then became a partner in the present firm. April 19, 1877, he married Miss Elma Talmage, who was born in this county. They have two children – James and Frank. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state ..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]
D. D. BOOHER, of Irwin & Booher, real estate and abstract office, also insurance; Mt. Gilead; was born near Weston, VA., Oct. 17, 1841; his mother died during his infancy and he lived with relatives in Virginia until he was nine years of age, when he and his brother came West with their uncle, and settled in Westfield Township, near Cardington, and lived there about five years; in 1853 his father settled near Cardington and upon his marriage in 1855, D. D. and his brother Spencer made their home with him. D. D. soon hired out by the month and worked until 1861; in April of that year he enlisted in the 4th O. V. I. for three month’s service, and they were afterward reorganized and enlisted for three years’ service, throughout which he served, taking part in the battles of Rich Mountain, Winchester, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, The Wilderness, Spotsylvania Court House, North Anna, Cold Harbor, etc. At Gettysburg he was slightly wounded, and at Cold Harbor, just three days prior to the discharge of the command, he was wounded and confined to the hospital for three months. He then returned to Cardington, Ohio, and attended school, commencing in the lowest classes, and after a year’s course, began teaching in the district schools part of the time and attending school part of the time. He taught at the Westfield school, and later attended the Normal school at Lebanon, Ohio, and in the summer of the third year he, with Mr. Brown, taught the Cardington School. The following January he resigned his position and entered upon the duties of County Recorder, serving as such for six years. He continued in Mt. Gilead, after his term of office, until 1877, when he moved to his farm, located one and a half miles northeast of Mt. Gilead, Oct 3, 1872, he married Mary, daughter of Dr. Granger, of Westfield Township this county. They have four children: Raymond, Edna Dean, Ada and Emma. His parents, Joseph and James (Devies) Booher, were natives of Virginia and married there. She died there in 1841. They had two children: Spence and D. D. He continued in Virginia until 1853, when he moved to Cardington, and in 1855 married Miss Amanda Foust. He lived in that vicinity until his death, in September, 1877; she is living near Cardington. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state ..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]
DR. J. M. BRIGGS, retired; P. O. Mt. Gilead. The subject of this sketch was born on his father’s farm in Washington Co, N.Y. Oct 11, 1809, and resided there until he became ten years of age, at which time the family removed to Franklin Co., N. Y. and engaged in farming; during his residence there his parents died. He remained there until the year 1835 and began reading medicine in 1827, under Drs. Paddock & Bates, and later attended lectures at Burlington, Vt., graduating at the Franklin Co, Medical Institute N. Y. In the year 1835, he came to Marion Co., Ohio, and practiced medicine in Caledonia for twenty years; he then moved to Iberia, Morrow Co., and educated his family, doing but a limited practice, and preferring not to become actively engaged. After a residence of five and ha half years, he came to Mt. Gilead and served as Clerk of the Courts for two terms; in 1864, he was elected President of the 1st National Bank of Mt. Gilead, and retained the office until February, 1880, when he resigned. November 26, 1839, he married Miss Sarah J. Farrington, a native of Erie Co., N.Y. Of their three children two are living, Mary A., now Mrs. Rev. A. T. Rankin, of Kingston, Ind., and William H. of this place. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state ..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]
A. M. BARTLETT, farmer; P. O. Mt. Gilead; is a native of Delaware Co., Ohio; he was born on his father’s farm, April 16, 1816, and lived there sixteen years, when with his parents he moved to Columbus Ohio, and in 1833 he was apprenticed to the edge tool trade at Mt. Gilead, and followed the business for sixteen years; he then engaged at farming in this vicinity, and has followed the same since. In all he has served as School Director for 27 years, and has been President of the Board of Education for ten years; also served six years each as Township trustee and Justice of the Peace here, and in North Bloomfield Township. Nov. 9 1837, he married Miss Sarah Nichols, a native of Virginia. She died March, 19, 1856. Of their eight children six are living – R. F., Juliet, Althea, Marcella, Albert W. and N. H. January 4, 1857, he married Miss Eliza A. Adams, a native of New York ; she died July 29, 1874. They had five children, three of whom are living, viz: Fred W., Annetta M. and Alice P. Oct 15, 1874, he married Mrs. Helt, formerly Miss Emily Sweetland. She was born in South Bloomfield Township, this Co., and Oct 6, 1830. She was married to Mr. J. C. Helt July 2, 1848; he died Aug 4, 1871. They had four children, viz: Morrilla V., now Mrs. Wright of Knox County, Winfield C., now at school in Boston, LaGrande and Nellie F. Of the two deceased children by the first marriage of Mr. Bartlett, one died in infancy, and the other, John O., enlisted in the 65th O. V. I. and served with the regiment until his death at the battle of Chickamauga. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state ..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]
CHARLES BIRD, retired: Mt. Gilead; was born in Northumberland, Pa, Dec 3, 1810, and lived there eighteen years, being engaged on the farm and in attending school; they then moved to Knox (now Morrow) Co., Ohio, and engaged in farming in Franklin Township where he lived until he was 21 years old, when he was apprenticed to the carpenter’s trade with William Ely, with whom he remained two years. He then carried on the business on his own account. On Feb 14, 1833, he married Miss Mary Geller; who was born in Knox Co., Ohio, in 1837. They moved to a farm near Mt. Gilead, and lived there for three years; he then came to the village, and followed his trade until 1860, when he engaged in the hardware business, and followed the same for some six or seven years; he then resumed his trade, and built many of the principal residences of the place and surrounding country; in 1870 he retired from active business; of the ten children, six are living – John, Charles, Jr., Frank, Sarah, Clem and Sabina. Mr. Bird has always taken an active interest in all public enterprises, and he took an active part in securing the forming of Morrow Co, and contributed liberally to that end. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state ..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]
ELZY BARTON, contractor; Mt. Gilead; was born in Belmont Co., Ohio, Sept 1813, and lived there four years, when they moved to Knox Co., and farmed there for eight years. During their stay there, his parents died. After the father’s death the children lived with friends in the neighborhood. At the age of 16, Elzy was apprenticed to the tailoring trade; in 1833 he came to Mt. Gilead and carried on a tailoring shop for seven or eight years; he then farmed in the county until 1873, when he began contracting R. R. work, and in the fall of 1874, he moved to Mt. Gilead and occupied his present place, in the spring of 1875. Mr. Barton served as Constable in Marion, now Morrow Co., for seventeen years, and was sheriff of this county from 1859 to 1862, also, Deputy Provost Marshal, part of that time. He has also acted as auctioneer for the past thirty five years. April 17, 1837, he married Miss Nancy Ann Adams. She was born in Virginia and came to Ohio in infancy with her parents. They had seven children, five living - Victoria, now Mrs. W. S. House, of Mt. Gilead; Walton C., Flora, now Mrs. M. L. Ryan, of Piqua; Berwick, of Miles, Barton & Miles, Mt. Gilead, and Gertrude. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state ..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]
DAVID BAILEY, farmer, P.O. Mt. Gilead; was born in Bedford Co., Ohio. March 5, 1820, and lived there until he was 12 years of age, when, with his grandparents, he came to Marion, now Morrow Co., Ohio, and settled on his present place. He lived here with his grandparents until their death, in 1841, and 1838 respectively. He then worked by the month on the farm and in driving team to Baltimore, Md. Sept 8, 1843, he married Miss Sarah, daughter of John and Catharine Weaver She was born in Belleville, Ohio, Dec. 24, 1821. He teamed after his marriage for six years, driving to Cumberland, Md., and Pittsburgh, Pa ; he also had a farm rented during this time, he teaming in the winter. He then bought 80 acres of land, and moved on same; and though he has never had any educational advantages, nor acquired anything outside of legitimate farming, he has been successful, and has increased his property from time to time, until now he owns 640 acres here and 130 in Kentucky By the marriage there have been fifteen children; thirteen of whom are living – Mary Ann, now Mrs. Fagley, lives in this county, John, Andrew, Samuel and Nelson, live in Medcalf Co., Ky; Jane, now Mrs. Baker, lives in this county; Hiram lives in this county; George lives at home; Viola, now Mrs. Baker, this county; Levina, Joseph and Sarah T. live at home. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state ..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]
J. F. BOWEN, grocer; Mt. Gilead; was born on Christmas day 1846, in Radnor Township, Delaware Co., Ohio; he was a son of Isaac and Ann Bowen; his father was born in Wales, in 1801; the mother, also a native of Wales, was born in 1805; they emigrated to Radnor Township, Delaware Co., Ohio, in 1838, where they remained but a short time, when they removed to Columbus, Ohio, staying some two years, then going to brown Township, where they bought sixty three acres of land, at that time a wilderness, and built a home. The father died in 1849, the mother in 1861. The son remained at home during his youth, and was finally bound out to Francis Jones, a farmer; four months later he enlisted in Co. D, 95th O. V. IL, and Captain Edward Taylor commanding. The first engagement in which he participated, ended in the severe defeat at Richmond, Ky.; the forces were afterwards reorganized, becoming a part of Grant’s army; he was at Shiloh, the second capture of Jackson (Miss) campaign before Vicksburg, and was afterward captured by Forrest, near Memphis, and was in the prison at Andersonville four months, then exchanged; in 1864 was a in the pursuit of Price in Missouri, and was in the engagement under Thomas at Nashville; afterwards helped take Fort Spanish, at Mobile Ala; in 1872 he was married to Julia A. Jenkins, daughter of the Reverend Thomas D. Jenkins, of Chesterville, Ohio; has four boys – Thomas Davies, William Clyde, Milo Stewart and Charles F. Mr. Bowen commenced the grocery and queens ware business in 1878, and now, in company with John Galleher has one of the leading stores of the kind in Morrow Co., situated on Main Street, Mt. Gilead, Ohio. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state ..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]
JACOB BAUGHMAN, Prop. American House, Mt. Gilead. The genial proprietor of the American House at Mt. Gilead, OHIO, ranks among the few who really know how to keep a hotel. Having been in the business for nearly twenty six years, he knows precisely what to do and how to do it. He was born in Adams Co., Pa., and July 2, 1808. His father, Joseph Baughman, a native of Pennsylvania, was born in 1767. His mother, Rebekah (Reynolds) Baughman, also a native of Pennsylvania, was born in 1771, both deceased. In 1828, his mother, with her three children, removed to Lexington, Richland Co., Ohio ; Jacob being then 20 years of age. He remained at home until he was 25, and then worked as an apprentice for one year in his brother’s shoe store. He then set up in business for himself, continuing in the business for thirty years. In 1854 he bought a hotel, carrying it on in connection with the shoe store, until 1866, when he closed out his interests and moved to Mt. Gilead, Ohio, where he bought the American House, April 1, 1866. Mr. Baughman has been married twice; April 30, 1833, was married to Mary A. Woods, by whom he had eleven children – Joseph, Rannells, David W., Agnes, L. Harvey, Charles P., deceased; Elijah J., Amanda, Alexander, Henry H., and Owen. He married his second wife Nancy J. Patterson, April 26, 1856, daughter of Thomas Patterson. They have one child, Hattie, born in the spring of 1861. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state ..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]
COE BROTHERS. (Coe Brothers & Co., hardware, drugs, etc.) Gilead Station. S. Allen and George O. Coe are natives of Marion Co., Ohio; they were born September 26, 1846, and March 23, 1849, respectively. Mr. S. Allen Coe lived at home until he became of age, he then went to Johnson Co., Kansas, where he bought and improved some land, which he afterwards sold; he also conducted a threshing machine; he remained in Kansas about nine months when he returned home and farmed until 1872, when he was engaged to conduct a lumber business at Gilead Station, for Johnson, Collins & Wensels, with whom he remained for eighteen months; he then engaged in the grocery business at Mt. Gilead under the firm of Bowen & Coe; they continued for three years, when he sold out and came to Gilead Station and formed the present firm. July 28, 1873, he married Miss Sybil E. Flint; she was born in Ohio ; they have three children, two living – Homer F., and Nellie E. George O. Coe lived at home about three years, when he went to live with his sister on a farm near Mt. Gilead, where he lived until 1867, when they moved to the old homestead, which his brother-in-law had bought, and they lived there until 1870; he then engaged in the drug business in Mt. Gilead with D. T. A. Goorley, and after three years he sold out his interest and went back to the farm; May 14, 1872, he married Miss Viola McCormick; she was born in this Co., and they lived on the farm (his brother-in-law’s) which he farmed on shares, until 1877, when he came to Gilead Station, and engaged in his present business. By his marriage there are three children – Elbert G., Lulu M. And Ray McC. – their parents, Abraham and Margaret Nichols Coe, were natives of Virginia; he was born Dec 23, 1806, and married November 5, 1829; she died Sept 21, 1849. They had nine children, seven living. Dec 28, 1851, he married Mrs. Sellers, formerly Miss Elizabeth Wallace, a native of Perry Co, Ohio ; they have no children. Mrs. Coe has one child by a former marriage – Avarilla R., now Mrs. Shepard of Council Bluffs, Iowa. Mr. Coe early learned the blacksmith’s trade, and came to Mt. Gilead, Ohio, about 1827, and has lived in this vicinity since. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state ..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]
ANDREW CAMPBELL, farmer; P. O. Gilead Station; was born on his present place Jan 11, 1835, and has always lived on the same. December 22, 1859, he was married to Miss Nancy Jane Farley. She was born in Washington Co, PA., and came to this locality, with her parents, when young. They had three children, two of whom are now living, Halleck S. and Amanda. He owns 95 acres of land, located a quarter of a mile west of Gilead Station. In 1863 he erected a sorghum mill on his place, and has conducted the business in connection with his farming interests. His father, Andrew Campbell, was born in Jefferson Co., Ohio, July 25, 1803, and in his eighteenth year he and his brother, Johnson, came West on foot. He entered 160 acres, the present place being part of the same. They built a log cabin, in regular pioneer style – but one room, puncheon floor, split board roof, etc.; they lived with their neighbors, cleared, and made improvements, put out some wheat, and went back to Jefferson Co., and returned with their mother and family, their father having died in the year 1819. The family occupied the log cabin, near which was a camp of Indians, though the family experienced no trouble on their account, though, probably, the fact of Mr. Campbell being a large, powerful man, and an expert hunter, had something to do with their friendly deposition. The fall after he came here he had two horses, two cows, a few sheep, and $18.00 in money; they made their own clothing, and traded butter and deer skins in Frederick, for muslin and calico; he also worked at pump making. After he became of age, he deeded 110 of his 160 acres to his mother, and lived with her until he was 26 years of age, when he married Miss Susannah Burnside, a native of Virginia. After his marriage he occupied the remaining 50 acres, and improved and lived on the same until his death, Oct 21, 1878. They had nine children, of whom but one is now living – Andrew. Mrs. Campbell died Sept 8, 1864. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state ..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]
D. L. CHASE, county clerk; Mt. Gilead ; was born in Tompkins Co., N. Y. in 1834, and is the son of Robert and Annie (Cramer) Chase; his mother was born in New Jersey, and his father in Connecticut. In 1836, they, with their three children (our subject being one of them) started for Ohio, arrived and located in South Bloomfield, Morrow Co, (then Knox Co.) they settled on 72 acres of land; his mother and father are now living, his father being 73 and his mother 75 years of age. Our subject was born on the farm; he farmed in South Bloomfield for a number of years, when he began teaching school, which he followed in Morrow and Delaware Cos. for several years. He was a resident of Iowa two years, and one year in Illinois. Mr. Chase had made his home in Morrow Co.; he was a resident of Westfield Township for seven years; he filled the office of Assessor of South Bloomfield Township for six years, giving entire satisfaction, and in 1875 he was nominated by the Republican Party to the office of Clerk of the Circuit Court, being elected to that office by a majority of 190 votes; he was re-elected by same party in 1878, by a majority of 563 votes, showing that Mr. Chase’s first term was satisfactory to the people; he had gained many friends, and is recognized as one of the best County Clerks Morrow Co. ever had. Mr. Chase is a Republican in politics and a member of the M. E. Church. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state ..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]
AMOS CRICHFIELD, farmer; P.O. Mt. Gilead was born in Somerset Co., PA., February 28, 1805, and lived there until 1812, when his parents moved to Ohio, and farmed in Muskingum Co.; in 1824 Amos went to Gawley, W.Va., and worked at the stonework on the James River Turnpike, and in 1826 worked on the stone work of the Pennsylvania Canal at the aqueduct, over the Juniata. May 15, 1829, he married Miss Rebecca Moore, who was born in Pennsylvania; in the spring of 1830 he drove to his present place and has lived here ever since; he had previously walked out here and entered the place; he found all a vast wilderness, in which wild animals abounded; he built a log cabin in the woods and cleared his place. He has a vivid recollection of the early pioneer times in which he acted his part. He and his wife enjoy good health and live on the old homestead. They are members of the Baptist Church, which they joined thirty and forty years ago, respectively. Of their ten children seven are living – John D. Lives on an adjoining farm; M. A. now Mrs. Beaty, lives in Kansas; James R. lives in this vicinity; Mary Jane, now Mrs.Goorley, lives in this vicinity; George W. lives near Levering Station, this county; Elvira, now Mrs. James Brown, lives in this vicinity, and Sarah E. now Mrs. J.M.Irwin, lives on the old homestead with her parents. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state ..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]
JOHN CRAIG retired, Mt. Gilead; is a native of Washington Co, PA.; he was born on the farm April 23rd, 1807, and lived there for seventeen years; he then came West to Richland Co., Ohio, and was apprenticed to the carpenters and joiners’ trade, with James Bell, with whom he served for three years and six months; he then, April 1, 1830, married Miss Jane W. Kerr; she was also a native of Washington Co., PA., and moved to Richland Co, Ohio, with her parents when she was but a child; after the marriage he bought a small piece of land near Lexington and worked at his trade, doing a general builder’ business until 1852, when he came to Morrow Co. and bought a farm in Congress Township, which he farmed until 1877, he then came to Mt. Gilead, putting the farm in the charge of Mr. John Piper, whom he raised from infancy. While in Richland Co. he served as Assessor of Washington Township; he has also served as Trustee of Congress Township. Mr. Craig has for eighteen years been a member of the Church of Christ, serving as Deacon in the same for twelve years. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state ..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]
JOHN D. CRICHFIELD, farmer; O.O. Mt. Gilead; son of Amos and Rebecca (Moore) Crichfield, was born on the farm Nov 9, 1830, and lived at home until 1852; Oct 10 of that year, he married Miss Margaret Geary; she was born in Ireland and came to this country when 3 years of age. After his marriage he moved to his present place, and has lived there since; they have two children- Rosie E. and Sheridan E., both living at home. Mr. Crichfield has been a member of the Baptist Church for the past twenty two years, and has taken an active interest in the affairs of the same; he has for a number of years been Superintendent of the Sabbath school. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state ..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]
H. G. COOPER, furniture; Mt. Gilead ; was born at M. Gilead, Ohio, June 8, 1845; the son of Elias and Mary (Talmage) Cooper, both natives of Ohio. They had five other children, besides the one mentioned – S. L., J.H., Clara R., E.C., and Hortense (deceased). His father was a carpenter, following this business nearly all his life. H. G. Cooper spent his youth in farming, working at the carpenter’s trade, and going to school. At about 18 years of age, he went into a grocery store with his father, remaining there about three years; he then resumed work at the carpenter’s trade, following the same until 1872, when he began to work for Runyan & Ayers. He remained with them until the store passed into the hands of J. Hathaway, and was engaged with him until the 1st of January 1877, when he entered into a partnership with P. T. Miller & Co. continuing with them until Dec 1879, when the firm was changed to Cooper, Miller & Co. The present date finds them located in the Van Horn Block, Mt. Gilead, where they have one of the finest stocks of furniture in Morrow Co.; they also keep a large assortment of wall paper, and are agents for sewing machines, the Eldridge machine a specialty. Mr. Cooper was married Nov. 19, 1873, to Miss E. A. Bruce, daughter of George S. Bruce; they were married in Marion Co., Iowa ; they have one child, Oswald P. born April 13, 1879. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state ..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]
ELIAS F. COOPER, machinist; Mt. Gilead ; was born in Mt. Gilead, in 1836; the son of William and Jane (Dunlap) Cooper. He was born in Washington Co., PA, in 1805; she was born in the same place, in 1812. William Cooper was engaged in cabinet making up to the time of his emigration to Knox Co, Ohio, where he continued the business until about 1840, when he went into the milling business, which he followed until his death, in 1878. Elias remained at home, working in the mill, until 1864, when he engaged in machine work with S. R. Merrill, in Mt. Gilead, which he continued until 1873, when he resumed the milling business; in 1877 he was running a portable saw mill, and during 1879 was in the machine shops at Columbus, Ohio. March 15, 1880, he opened his machine shop, two blocks west of Main Street, in Mt. Gilead, and is now in good shape for the transaction of business, with ample steam power. He gives special attention to the repairing of machinery of all kinds in both wood and iron. Mr. Cooper was married Oct 13, 1863, to Frances Germain, daughter of Albert Germain; they have four children – Clarence, born Feb 4, 1866; Florence, March 16, 1869; Otho, March 10, 1871, and May, born May 3, 1875. Mr. Cooper has been a member of the order of Odd Fellows since 1858; in 1876 he joined the Universalist Church, and is a reliable and prompt business man. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state ..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]
GEORGE N. CLARK, Vice president of the Morrow County Bank, Mt. Gilead; was born in Boardman Township, Trumbull, now Mahoning Co., Ohio, March 24, 1814, and like others at that early period, had few facilities for acquiring an education; he lived at home on the farm until he was 24 years of age, and March 22, 1838, he married Miss Mary A. Lowry. She was born in the same county. After his marriage he moved to Portage Co., where he farmed one year, and in the spring of 1839 he came to Woodbury, Delaware, now Morrow Co., and engaged in the general merchandise business, which he continued there for twenty six years, serving as Postmaster for twenty two years of that time. Also, in 1851 he was elected on the Democratic ticket the first Representative of this county, to the Ohio Legislature, and served for two terms, it being the first session of the new constitution. July 18, 1862, he was appointed Adjutant of the 96th O. V. I., and served with that command for eight months, when, owing to disabilities, he received his discharge. In 1864, he came to Mt. Gilead and served as County Auditor for four years, since which time he has been Superintendent of the County Infirmary for three and one half years, and has also been identified with several of the business interests of this place. July 18, 1876, M. Clark was called to mourn the death of his wife. They had five children, of whom four are living – Cyrus C., Augustine, Alice M. and Samuel C. In Feb 1880, the Morrow County National Bank was organized, with Mr. Clark as Vice President, and began business March 22, following. In early times when in business at Woodbury, Mr. Clark had his goods hauled by wagon from Sandusky, and in other ways participated in the comforts of pioneer life. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state ..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]
SALO COHN, merchant tailor and dealer in gents’ furnishing goods, Mt. Gilead. This gentleman came to America from Berlin, Prussia, in the year 1870, and took up his residence in the city of Cleveland, Ohio ; where he engaged with Messrs. Koch, Goldsmith, Joseph & Co. (Manufactures and wholesale dealer in clothing and piece goods). He was assigned the charge of the piece goods department, by reason of his excellent judgment of that line of goods, which he acquired by fifteen years experience among the manufactures in Germany. During his stay in Cleveland he became very popular, his frank, out spoken manner, and fair and honest dealing, winning him a large circle of friends, with whom he was loath to part. But in the summer of 1879 he was called to mourn the death of his little son, Berthold, aged 7 years and 6 months, and being alarmed at the then prevailing sickness of the city, he determined to move to the country with his wife and remaining son, Martin. Accordingly, upon hearing of the intention of Messrs. Rowland and Talmage to sell their business, he visited Mt. Gilead, and being favorably impressed with the place and the people, he concluded to purchase the business and make a permanent settlement. The terms were arranged and he took charge in the spring of 1880, thus securing a prominent location and the largest storeroom in the place, in which he has since placed a mammoth stock, by far the largest in the county, all selected in the best taste as to style and quality, thus affording unequalled facilities to patrons. Though but a short time has elapsed since Mr. Cohn came to Mt. Gilead, he had already, by his courtesy and fair dealing, established his as a reliable one price store, in which all receive a hearty welcome, and a general satisfaction is expressed by the patrons at the elegant goods, moderate prices, gentlemanly manners and advantages of the new one price store. In social matters Mr. Cohn has also made his influence felt, and his liberality to enterprise, and all movements tending to the betterment of the community, is a prominent feature of his character. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state ..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]
CORWIN AND LAMB, livery; Mt. Gilead, Ohio; are located one block east of the American House, Mt. Gilead. They are provided with every convenience for the successful prosecution of their business, having a complete outfit of horses, buggies and carriages; they can, with propriety, ask for a liberal share of the public patronage. Leander A. Corwin the senior member of the firm, was born in the year 1834, being the fourth child of James Corwin, of Knox Co., Ohio. Leander’s father and grandfather were tanners. James continued in the business for some time, but a brother taking his place in the tannery, he engaged in the stock trade, which he continued until the time of his death, in 1876. The mother having died in 1868, both being buried on Thanksgiving Day. Leander during his youth was engaged in farming, but finally went to Mt. Gilead, where he went into the livery business with his brother, and buying and trading in stock. This partnership was dissolved in due time, when he spent about one year in settling up his father’s estate. He farmed another year but continued his residence in town. The year following was spent in buying and shipping horses to Michigan. Mr. married Susan B. Blakely, and has one son about 16 years of age. Mr. Corwin began his present business in 1879. W. B. Lamb, the other of the firm, commenced business for himself at the age of 14. At 16, having accumulated a little money, he commenced trading in stock, and while at times has been farming, has been mainly occupied in buying and raising stock. In 1864 he enlisted in the 179th O. V. I. remaining in the service until the close of the war, during which time he was principally employed in slaughtering cattle for the brigade. In March 1859, he was married to Mary A. Dye, of Williamsport, Ohio. Has an interesting family of two children – Ida Belle, born in 1861, Fred, born in Sept 1864. He joined the Odd Fellows Lodge NO 469 in 1870; has been a member of the School Board some ten years. He is a democrat. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state ..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]
S. L. COOPER, planing mill; Mt. Gilead ; was born February 21, 1838, at Mt Gilead, Ohio. His father, Elias Cooper, and his mother Maria Talmage Cooper, were born in Knox Co., Ohio. Mr. Cooper being a carpenter, it was but natural that his son should turn to the same business as his father; he remained at home until 21 years of age, learning his trade thoroughly. August 26, 1860, he was married to Margaret C. White. She died on the 22nd of May, 1873. In the spring of 1862 he enlisted in the 136th O. N. G. being honorably discharged at the end of a year from the time of enlistment. He then went to Galion, Ohio, and entered the Government service as Local mail Agent; about the spring of 1868, he removed to Newark, Ohio, where he engaged in railroad work, being one of the contractors for the building of the Newark, Somerset & Straitsville R. R.; he subsequently returned to Mt. Gilead, Ohio, and in 1870 commenced the erection of the Cooper Block, on Court Street, fitting up a fine store for the sale of groceries and queens ware; he continued in the trade until 1872, at which time he took a contract for grading twenty miles of the Atlantic & Lake Erie R. R. In October, 1874, he was again married, this time to Jennie, a daughter of William and A. Noe. They have one child- Claude C. Mr. Cooper is actively engaged in the lumber and planing mill business, in company with Milo Doty, the firm name being Cooper & Doty, located two blocks west of Main Street. Mr. Cooper is a Mason, and a member of the M.E.Church; in politics, a Republican. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state ..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]
JUDGE A. K. DUNN, lawyer; Mt. Gilead ; is the lawyer of the longest practice at the Morrow Co. Bar, and has built up a professional business that is second to none in the county. He was born in Washington Co, Maryland, January 3, 1819. His parents, Jacob and Rosanna (Kershner) Dunn, were natives of Maryland, and reared a family of fifteen, hiring a teacher by the year to educate them and such other children as cared to share the benefit with the expense. Judge Dunn’s father was a millwright in early life, but in later years he turned his attention to farming, and in 1830 came to Ohio, settling in Knox Co., just south of Mt. Vernon. Judge Dunn’s early life was divided between the farm and the school, until about 1836. In the fall of this year, having come to Ohio with his father, he engaged as clerk in one of the stores of Mt. Vernon, in which his father was a partner. The business, however, proved exceedingly distasteful to him. Sleeping in the law office, where his older brother, David was a student, and frequently visiting the place on other occasions, he early evinced a strong preference for the law. His older brother, however, was the apple of his father’s eye and he was the only one which the fond parent thought fit for a professional career. The death of David, in July, 1837, however, disappointed the hopes of the father, and made him look more favorably upon the wishes of his younger son, resulting in his sending him to Kenyon College for his preliminary education, where he remained three years. Mr. Dunn entered the law office of Hurd & Norton in March 1845, and studied three years. In April of 1848, he came to Mt. Gilead. The formation of the new county attracted a number of lawyers, young men seeking an unoccupied field and an equal chance, and others who aspired to a political life or preferment in the legal profession. These causes brought together some twenty five or thirty lawyers. All have long since left Morrow co., save Judge Dunn, who had been practicing his profession here for the last thirty two years and is the sole representative of the bar of 1848, at the opening of the first term of the Court of Common Pleas. In 1876, he was appointed Judge of the Court of Common Pleas, to fill the vacancy occasioned by the resignation of Judge Dirlam, of Mansfield. He was one of the originators of the first National Bank of Mt. Gilead, and was the third President. At the end of this year, he closed his connection with the bank by disposing of his stock. Mr. Dunn was an active worker in the Whig party, and during the first years of the Republican Party. Since the days of re construction and the prominence of the “machine” in politics, he has voted with the Republicans, under protest, and is a champion of the civil service reform, and honest methods in politics. February 1854, he was married to Emily Armentrout. His family consists to two sons, both of whom are lawyers, one in Charleston, Ill. the other in Mr. Gilead. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state ..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]
BACK -- HOME
Copyright © Genealogy Trails