Genealogy Trails - Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led

Morrow County, Ohio
Genealogy and History

 

line

Biographies

line



William M. Eccles
WILLIAM M. ECCLES, born Mt. Gilead, O., 1841. Entered the preparatory department in 1860, and graduated from the classical course in college in 1865. In 1876 he married Georgie E. Ladd, and after was again married to Mara S. Concannon in 1873. He practiced law in St. Louis, Mo., until 1897, when he removed to Mt. Gilead, O., where he died April 15, 1898. [Class of 1865]
[Source: Necrology Oberlin College For The Year 1897-8. Transcribed by: Helen Coughlin]

Sylvester S. Grinnell
SYLVESTER STORRS GRINNELL, born in Mt. Gilead, O., Jan. 12, 1850. His preparatory education was obtained at Farmers’ Institute, Ind., and at Maryville, Tenn.; graduated at Maryville college, 1874; Oberlin Theological Seminary, 1878; ordained Rochester, Vt., Jan. 14, 1879.
Preached Rochester, Vt., 1878-80; student Andover Theological Seminary, 1880-81; preached Green River, Wyo., 1881; Des Moines, Iowa, 1882-84; Rockford, 1884-87; Lancaster, Wis., 1887-90; River Falls, Wis., 1890-94; Alpena, Mich., 1894-96; without charge, Pasadena, Cal., 1896 to the time of his death. He was married Jan 13, 1887, to Corrinna Amira Phelps of Rockford, who survives him. Died at Pasadena, Cal., Dec. 12, 1897. [Class of 1878]
[Source: Necrology Oberlin College For The Year 1897-8. Transcribed by: Helen Coughlin]

Stanley B. Beard
STANLEY BENTON BEARD, born in Sparta, O., Feb. 26, 1867. Entered Oberlin Seminary in 1891 and graduated in 1894, having been married to Jessie E. Cullery in 1886. After his graduation he preached at Berea until his death Dec. 6, 1897.[Class of 1894]  
[Source: Necrology Oberlin College For The Year 1897-8. Transcribed by: Helen Coughlin]

John Shur Blake
BLAKE, John Shur, real estate agent and financial agent; born, Cardington, O., Jan. 6, 1865; son of Adoniram J. and Clotilda (Shur) Blake; graduated from Richwood (Ohio) High School, 1882; attended Martin's Shorthand School, St. Louis, 1885-86, St. Louis Law School, 1896-97; married, Richwood, O., Oct. 18, 1888, Martha Cheney. Engaged in news.paper business at Richwood, 1882-85; came to St. Louis, 1885, and after attending short.hand college took position as stenographer in office of E. W. Warfield, superintendent of Railway Mail Service, St. Louis, 1886; promoted to scheme clerk, 1889, to chief clerk, 1890, and to assistant superintendent in 1891; resigned in 1893 to engage in real estate busi.ness, and in 1897 formed partnership with brother, James P. Blake, under firm name of John S. Blake & Bro., and in 1905 the business was incorporated as John S. Blake & Bro. Realty Co., of which is president; also presi.dent of Marfan Investment Co. Organized, 1902, the Williamson-Blake Construction Co., which built the Hamilton Hotel and owned and operated same during the Louisiana Pur.chase Exposition, and now president Claiborne Realty Co., owners of the Hamilton Hotel. Member (and was director) of St. Louis Real Estate Exchange; member Business Men's League, Citizens' Industrial Association. Re.publican. Member Ohio Society of St. Louis (charter member and ex-president), Legion of Honor, Knights of Pythias, Royal Arcanum, Knights of Khorassan (charter member). Clubs: St. Louis, Mercantile, Missouri Athletic (charter member), Automobile, Aero. Recreations: fishing and bowling. Office: 812 Chestnut St. Residence: Hamilton Hotel.
[Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912; Transcribed by Charlotte Slater]

Orion W. Bedell
BEDELL, Orion Willis, dentist; born, Cardington, O., Mar. 1, 1870; son of John E. and Maggie A. (Thompson) Bedell; educated in public schools of Mount Vernon, O.; grad.uated from Dental Department of Washington University, D.M.D., 1892, Medical Department of same, M.D., 1894; married, Dec. 25, 1900, Birdie A., daughter of Emanuel Miller of Mount Vernon, O.; children: Ethel, Everett. Entered office of Dr. W. E. Semple, Mount Vernon, as dental student, 1886; three years later became assistant in dental office at Ne.braska City, Neb.; removed to St. Louis, Sept. 26, 1900; opened office as dentist, on gradu.ation in 1902; professor of operative den.tistry, dental embryology, and dental his.tology in Dental Department of Washington University, 1905-09. Republican. Baptist. Recreation: farming. Office and Residence: 1909 Lafayette Ave.
[Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater]

THOMAS E. DUNCAN, lawyer; Mt. Gilead; was born in Holmes Co., Ohio, Nov 21, 1837; the son of William and Fannie (Elliott) Duncan until he was 20 years of age. Mr. Duncan worked upon his father’s farm, laying the foundation of his education in the winter months at the district school. At this time he entered the Ohio Wesleyan University, where he studied some three years, leaving school at the end of that time to enter the law office of Messrs. Bancroft & Voorhes, of Millersburg, Ohio. As a student, in 1862, he was admitted to the bar at Columbus, and in the same year came to Morrow Co., opening an office at Cardington, Twelve years later, he came to Mt. Gilead, where he has continued the practice of his profession ever since, He was elected Prosecuting attorney in 1868, and re-elected in 1870; three years later he was elected to the legislature from Morrow Co., and was returned for a second term in 1875. In the spring he was elected to a place in the Village council of Mt. Gilead. In April, 1880, Governor Foster honored him with the appointment of Director of the Ohio Penitentiary. In all the public positions which Mr. Duncan has been called to fill, he has at all times shown himself to be possessed of marked ability, and has discharged the duties of his various offices with credit to himself and satisfaction to his constituents. In addition to the business of his profession and the cares of public life, he has found time to devote to commercial enterprises of considerable magnitude; he was for six and a half years a partner with the firm of Duncan Brothers, hardware dealers, in Cardington, and is now a Director of the Cardington Banking Company, having been one of the originators of that enterprise. He was married to Rachel, daughter of Major John Frew, May 14, 1862; their union has been blessed by seven children, of whom six are yet living. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]

ALLEN DALRYMPLE, farmer; P. O. Gilead Station; was born on his present place April 1st, 1847, and has lived there since. When he became of age, he farmed his father’s place on shares until his father’s death, since when he has managed the place. July 4, 1868, he married Miss Elizabeth, daughter of George and Rebecca ( Rogers ), Miller. She was born at Cardington, Ohio. They have three children – Annie M., Mary M. and John M. Mr. Dalrymple is farming the old homestead, which contains 133 acres, and is located one and one half miles northwest of Gilead Station. His parents, Andrew and Jerusha Hazen Dalrymple, were natives of Sussex Co, N.J.; they moved to Knox Co, Ohio, he when a young man, she, with her parents. They married there in 1827, and came to the present place, which his uncle had entered for him, about the year 1823. They came here in a wagon, and put up a log cabin, and cleared the farm. They had seven children; four are living, viz: Elizabeth, now Mrs. J. Davis, Washington Township this Co., John and Ziba live in Johnson Co., Kansas, and Allen lives on the old homestead. Mr. Andrew Dalrymple died Nov 10, 1879. Mrs. Dalrymple is living on the old homestead. Their parents were also natives of Sussex Co, N.J. In the early days, here in this vicinity, Mr. Dalrymple hauled wheat to Cleveland, and sold the same for 50 cents per bushel. The Indians were here, those days, and the wolves made the night hideous about the old cabin home. They had no stock at first – only a yoke of oxen – finally got two sheep, and then horses. Mrs. Dalrymple is now 75 years old, and has good health and memory; in the early days she spun all the yarn and made the clothing; she attended the first preaching held in Mr. Gilead, and has carried one of her children five miles to meeting. At her residence many old pioneer religionists preached in early days. She has been a member of the M. E. Church for the past sixty two years. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]

JABEZ DICKEY, (Olds & Dickey, Atty’s at Law) Mr. Gilead; was born in Richland Co., Ohio, June 15, 1838; his father died when he was but ten years of age; Mrs. Dickey and family remained on the farm until Jabez was in his 15th year, when they moved to Mansfield; he attended school, and read law with Messrs. Burns & Dickey of that place, and in April, 1861, he was admitted to the Bar, and on the 19th of the same month and year, he enlisted in the 15th Ohio Infantry, and served about four months; again, in 1862, he engaged as clerk for Suttler of the 15th Ohio, and served in that capacity until after the battle of Pittsburg Landing; he then returned home, and began the practice of law in Mansfield, Ohio, where he continued until 1866; he then came to Mt. Gilead and followed his profession, forming his present partnership in 1867. He served as Prosecuting Attorney for the county in 1873-4, and held a similar position in Richland Co. in 1863; Sept 1, 1869, he married Miss E. A. Rhodes; she is a native of Knox Co. Ohio, and came to this county when young; they have four children, viz: Charles C., Edwin W., Berry B., and Carrie E. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]

BRADFORD DAWSON, of House & Dawson, millers; Mt. Gilead; was born in Waterford, Knox Co, Ohio, Jan 4, 1846, and lived there until he was 12 years of age; he then went to Chesterville, Morrow Co, and lived with his brother, George A. who carried on the flouring mill there; he worked in his mill until 1863, when he and his brother, Robert T. (the latter at that time being in the army) bought a half interest in the mill, and upon the death of Robert T. in front of Atlanta, Bradford became a full half partner, the firm being G. & B. Dawson. They continued in Chesterville until 1867, and in 1868 located in Cardington, doing business there under the same name, until 1869, when Bradford moved to Marysville and engaged in the livery business. Also, holding stock in a joint stock mill at Cardington. Upon the completion of the building in 1870 he and his brother occupied the same and milled there until 1875, when he traded his interest for a mill in his native town of Waterford, and conducted the same until 1877, when he came to Mt.Gilead, and entered upon his present partnership. Sept 9, 1864, he married Miss Abbie F. Cramer, who was born in Chesterville. They have one child, Albert B., born April 27, 1868. In May 1864, Mr. Dawson enlisted in the 136th O. V. I. Albert B. born April 27 1868. In May 1864, Mr. Dawson enlisted in the 136th O.V. I. and served for four months, when the command was discharged. His parents Turner and Lucinda (Toole) Dawson were natives of Loudoun and Fauquier Counties, VA. They were married in Virginia and moved west to Mt. Vernon, Ohio, and later to Waterford, where he died in the fall of 1847. In 1858 Mrs. Dawson married Mr. William Levering, who died in 1864, and she died in Cleveland, Ohio, while on a visit, in 1875. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]

REVEREND W. S. EAGLESON, pastor of Presbyterian Church; is of Scotch Irish descent; his paternal grandfather emigrated from County Antrim, Ireland; his paternal grandmother, Jane Hervey, was a sister of Reverend James, David, and Henry Hervey; his father was the late Reverend John Eagleson, D. D. for thirty nine years pastor of the Church of Upper Buffalo, Washington Co, PA. Here young Eagleson was born January 15th 1840, and reared in a rural home; he was the youngest of three sons, by his father’s first wife; his mother dying when he was about two and a half years old. He owed much to the maternal care and nurture of his step mother, Mary Gordon, a sister of Reverend George and Joseph Gordon. He was one of a family of eight children, all of whom are still living. When 17 years of age Mr. Eagleson entered Washington College, (Now Washington and Jefferson College ), and graduated when he was 20. He at once entered the Western Theological Seminary at Allegheny City, where he took a full course and graduated in the spring of 1863. He was licensed by the Presbytery of Washington April 28th 1863. In June following he was called to the pastorate of the church of Fredericktown, Knox Co., Ohio, where he spend eleven years and a half; in the fall of 1874 he received two calls, one to the church of Mt. Gilead, and the other to Apple Creek, Ohio. He removed to the latter place, where he preached for sixteen months, but did not accept their call; at this time the church of Mt. Gilead renewed its call, which he accepted, and here has since labored. Nov 28 1869, he was married to Clarissa E. Pentecost, daughter of George W. Pentecost, of West Middletown, PA., by whom he has five children – four sons and one daughter. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]

C.D. ENSIGN, boots and shoes; Mt. Gilead. C. D. Ensign is one of Mt. Gilead ’s live boot and shoe men. He is located on the east side of Main Street, and keeps a full line of ladies; gents’ misses’ and children’s boots and shoes; he manufactures to order first class sewed work. Mr. Ensign was born Dec 13, 1820, in Richland Co, Ohio his parents were natives of the State of New York, his father Silas Ensign, was born in Albany; the mother Julia (White) Ensign, in Orange Co. Silas Ensign was at one time engaged in the manufacture of edge tools, in the city of New York; he afterwards studied theology, and became a minister in the M.E. Church; he emigrated to Richland Co., Ohio in 1818, and in 1832 he engaged in the boot and shoe business, in Mansfield. Having studied medicine, he began the practice of this profession in Mt. Gilead, in 1840. The grandfather of C.D.Ensign was an English clergyman. Coming to New York, he purchased 11 acres of land on the present site of Trinity Church; he preached there for a number of years, and served in the war of 1812; returning to England for a time, his property was confiscated, the city wanting the ground, falsely charged him with being disloyal. And although several attempts have been made, the property has not been, as yet, recovered. C.D.Ensign went into the shoe store at the age of 12, learning this trade; he stayed in the store until 17 years of age – at that time his father having closed out that business and entered the dry goods trade, running two stores; he commenced clerking for him, which he continued until the age of 19, when he went to Oberlin College, where he remained until 21 years of age; he then went to Mt. Gilead, where he remained a year, teaching a portion of that time; at the end of that time he began studying law with Judge Stewart, of Mansfield; in 1845 he commenced business for himself. He was married in the fall of 1843, to Catherine C. Ink, by whom he had four children – Xira Venturia, Winfield Scott, Gabriella and Eva- all married in their 19th year. Mr. Ensign was an abolitionist, at a time, when to express an opinion without discretion, was not calculated to make a man exceedingly popular, and he still reserves the right of thinking entirely for himself, in fact, would be termed a rationalist. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]

F. M. EWERS, farmer and stock raiser; P. O. Gilead Station; is the son of Samuel and Emily R. (Coe) Ewers. He was born in Marion, (Now Morrow Co.), Ohio, Feb 11, 1849, on his grandfather’s farm, which adjoined the present farm; he lived with his parents until he was 24 years of age, during which time he worked on the farm and attended school; he also taught school for four winters. Oct 30, 1873, he married Miss Isabel Hammond. She was born in Washington Township, this county; after their marriage he moved to a farm located about one and three fourths miles north of Gilead Station, and farmed there until 1875, when he came to his present place They have two children – Daisy A. and Margaret E. He has held no office except those connected with the schools and roads. He owns 80 acres of land, located two and three fourths miles north west of Gilead Station. His wife’s parents, William and Margaret (Mitchell) Hammond, were natives of Ohio. They were among the early pioneers of this locality. He assisted in blazing early roads in this vicinity. They yet live in Washington Township this county. Their parents were natives of Ireland. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]

SAMUEL EWERS, farmer; P. O. Gilead Station; is a native of Loudoun, Co, VA. He was born on the farm January 19, 1822, and lived there ten years, when with his parents, he came west to Ohio, and settled in Marion (now Morrow) Co., one and a half miles south of Mt. Gilead, and engaged in farming. Samuel lived at home until he became of age. He then, with his uncle, worked the latter’s farm on the shares for three years. He then bought a thresher and threshed for three season. February 10, 1848, he married Miss Emily R. daughter of Abraham and Margaret (Nichols) Coe. She was born in Marion (now Morrow) Co. Ohio. Her parents were natives of Virginia, and came to this vicinity at a very early period. After his marriage he farmed his father-in-law’s farm one season; he then bought a farm about one mile from his present place, and farmed there until 1875, when he came to his present place. They had five children, four of whom are living – Francis M., Nancy J., George M. and Flora V. In addition to the offices connected with the school and road, he has served as township Trustee. Though confining himself to his business as farmer, he has been successful, and has given a liberal start to each of his married children, and he retains as a competency for himself and wife the present place, which contains 115 acres, located about two miles north of Gilead Station. His parents, Ammon and Nancy (Talbert) Ewers were natives of Loudoun Co., VA. They married there and come west in a wagon, and farmed in this vicinity until their death, in January 1877 and May, 1848, respectively. They had six children, five of whom are living – Samuel, Rachel, now Mrs. Cletter, of this county; Susan, now Mrs. Ireland, of this county; Barton and Sarah H. now Mrs. Pierson, of Clinton Co. Iowa. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]

ROBERT ELLIOTT, (deceased); was a native of Washington Co, PA. He was born in the year 1808, and came west to Knox Co, Ohio, at a very early day, during his infancy. In 1833, he married Miss Eliza Ward. She was also a native of Washington Co. PA. and came to Licking Co, Ohio, with her parents, in the year 1821, and lived there until her marriage. They then came to Marion, now Morrow Co, Ohio, and settled on the place she now lives on, located three miles north of Gilead Station. They came here in a wagon, and entered 160 acres, living in a log cabin until they cleared the place. They put out some corn and potatoes the first spring, and kept on increasing the tillable area, until his death, December 28, 1852. Mrs. Elliott and family, except the married members, have lived here since. They were nine children, six of whom are living; Wiley lives in Livingston Co., Mo. Elizabeth now Mrs. Blaney lives in this county. Mary lives at home. Nathan lives at Crawford Co, Ohio; John lives in this county. Albert lives at home. Mrs. Elliott has been a member of the Presbyterian Church for the past forty years; her parents John and Elizabeth (Beebout) Ward, were natives of Washington Co. PA and Sussex Co. N. J. Mr. Elliott’s parents, Charles and Jane (Lee) Elliott, were natives of Ireland. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]

ALLEN M. ECCLES, stock dealer; Mt. Gilead; was born in Licking Co., Ohio, January 23, 1828, and lived there about three years, when, with his parents, he came to Marion, now Morrow Co., where his parents engaged in farming. He lived at home until he was 30 years of age, attending school and working on the farm. November 29, 1859, he married Miss Sophia Lyman. She was born in Franklin Co, Ohio, and was raised in Delaware Co. and came to Morrow Co. in 1858. Of their three children, two are living – Myrtle M. and Joseph M. After his marriage, he moved to his present place, located three and one half miles southwest of Mt. Gilead, and gave his attention to farming until 1864, when he began dealing in stock, in which he is now largely engaged. His business for the year ending April 1880, aggregating seventy odd car loads, for which he paid between $60,000 and $70,000. His parents Jacob and Minerva Overturf Eccles, came to this vicinity in 1831 and lived here until their death, November 4, 1849, and Oct 6, 1884. Mrs. Eccles’ parents were Oliver and Joan Linaberry; they were natives of Vermont and Pennsylvania. They married in Franklin Co, Ohio, where they had moved when young. He died in Franklin Co, in 1845; she died in Iowa, where she lived with her son. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]

SAMUEL FULTON, farmer and stock raiser; P. O. Gilead; was born on his present place, two and one half miles northeast of Mt Gilead, June 15, 1829, and has always lived in this vicinity. When about 7 years of age, his people moved to a farm, about a mile east of the present place, where he lived until he was 20 years old, working on the farm and in his father’s saw mill. February 28, 1850, he married Miss Esther W. Hathaway, who was born in Franklin Township, Knox, now Morrow Co. After his marriage, he came to his present place which now contains 160 acres. They have one child, Albert R. who married Miss Mary Rogers. She was born in New York. They had three children; two are now living; Ernest C. and Marshall G. They are living on part of the present place. Mr. Fulton assessed Congress Township for two years, while it was part of Richland Co. His parents, James and Margaret (Stockdale) Fulton were natives of Greene and Washington Co., PA. They married in the latter county and moved to Richland, now Morrow co, Ohio, about 1825, and lived in this vicinity until their deaths. Of their eight children six are living William in California; James in Mt Gilead; Samuel, on the old homestead; Mary, now Mrs. Cyphers, in Kansas; Stephen adjoining the old homestead; Robert, in this vicinity. The family came West with two teams, one four and one two horse team. They settled here and lived in wagons until they could build a log cabin. They did their marketing at Zanesville, and shard in the early pioneer time in general with others. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]

JOHN J. GURLEY, lawyer; Mt. Gilead; is one of the oldest members of the Morrow County Bar, who came to Mt. Gilead in 1850. He continued in the practice of law here ever since, save when the partiality of fellow citizens have called him to occupy public offices. He was born in St. Lawrence Co. N.Y. Aug 6,1819; is the son of John S. And Nancy (Spink) Gurley. He comes of good New England stock, his mother being a native of Rhode Island, and his father of Connecticut. His mother lived to the rare old age of 88 years, passing away at St. Lawrence County in the present year. Mr. Gurley spent his minority upon the farm where he was born, when, possessed with a desire for the practice of law, he entered upon the preparation of his chosen profession. After reading law some two years, he came to Ohio, and in the year 1843 entered the office of Corey and Ramsey, attorneys at law, at McConnelsville, in Morgan Co. He was admitted to the Bar in 1844, at Bucyrus, and continued with this firm some four years longer, when he went to Ashland Ohio where he opened another office at Mt. Gilead, in 1850. Three years later he was elected to the Legislature, a position which his love for his profession led him to resign to accept the position of Probate Judge in 1854, when he served the people for three years with great acceptance. In 1873, he was elected a member of the Constitutional Convention, an honor he prizes more than any other that he has received from the public. In 1874, he was elected Prosecuting Attorney, when his abilities as a lawyer were fully recognized and appreciated. Mr. Gurley is a Democrat, but brings to this subject, as to all others a candid consideration unbiased by party passion or the hope of personal preferment. He is an earnest, conscientious worker for the principles of the cause which he has espoused and alike commands the respect of his political friends and foes. He was married in 1850 to Miss A. C. Armentrout, of Ohio, a union that has been blessed by the birth of two children. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]

JOHN B. GATCHELL, County Recorder; Mt. Gilead; was born in Harrison County, Ohio, June 18, 1843, and is the son of Amos P. and Barbara E.(Barger) Gatchell. His mother was born in Pennsylvania and his father in Harrison Co., Ohio, and was a farmer Here our subject remained until he was 15 years of age, when he began to learn the trade of carpenter and cabinet maker, which he followed some years and at the breaking out of the late civil war, he enlisted in Co. I, 15th O. V. I. Three months regiment from Wyandotte Co, having moved there in 1850, participating in the battles of Philippi, Laurel Hill, etc. and was honorably mustered out at the expiration of his time, when he re-enlisted as private for three years in Co F. 55th O, V, I. serving full time, and re-enlisted for the third time, and served until the dawn of peace. He participated in some of the most severe marches and battles of the war, took an active part in twenty four prominent engagements, Cedar Mountain, Springville, Cross Keys, second battle of Bull Run and Gettysburg, where in the second day’s fight at dark he was painfully wounded in the right hand and leg with a Minnie ball and the bursting of a shell; he remained in the hospital from July 2 to Sept 15, when he reported for duty to his regiment in Virginia. When the regiment was ordered west, in company with General Joe Hooker, he participated in the memorable battle of Lookout Mountain, known as the battle above the clouds; Mission Ridge, at Chattanooga. Mr. Gatchell took sick with the typhoid fever, remaining indisposed for a number of days; with this exception, his health was good. At the close of the war, being discharged August 15, 1865, he returned to Ohio and engaged in farming in Wyandotte Co some two years, when in 1868 he moved to Morrow Co and located in Mt. Gilead, where he was engaged in clerking and the sewing machine business. In 1870 he was appointed Assistant U.S. Marshal, taking the census. He filled the office as Deputy Clerk over two years. In 1875 he was nominated by the Republican party as Recorder of Morrow Co, being elected to that office by a majority of 15, and in 1878 was re-elected to the same office by a rousing majority of 590 votes. He is a Republican and a hard worker in it’s ranks. He married Oct 12, 1865, Miss Julia E. Bartlett, who was born in Mt. Gilead, December 8, 1845, and is the daughter of A. M. Bartlett, who settled in Mt. Gilead at an early day They have two children. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]

J. W. GALLEHER, of Bowen & Galleher, grocers; Mt. Gilead; was born on his father’s farm in Congress Township Richland, now Morrow Co., Ohio, Oct 21, 1843, and lived there eight years, when they moved to Franklin Township and engaged in farming. He attended school until he was 15 years of age, and then began working at carpentering by the month, following the same principally until 1872, when he began farming on his own account in Canaan Township. He lived there until 1875, when he engaged in the grocery business at Denmark, the firm being Harris & Galleher. They continued about eighteen months. He then sold out and came to Mt. Gilead, and engaged in his present business. March 1, 1866 he married Miss Mary J. Smith. She is also a native of this county. They have four children Frank, Ardella, Clyde and Alice. In 1861, he enlisted in the 136th O. N. G. and served until the command was discharged. While in Denmark, he served as Postmaster, during the last year’s residence there. His parents William and Frances Itson Galleher were natives of Loudoun County, VA. They were married there, and came here at an early day. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]

D. T. A. GOORLEY, drugs, books etc. Mt. Gilead; is a native of Brooke County, Virginia. He was born on the farm August 3, 1836, and lived there until he was seven years of age, when his parents moved West to Marion, now Morrow Co., Ohio, and settled on a farm about three miles south of Mt. Gilead. He lived at home until he became of age, during which time he attended school, and worked on the farm. He also taught school while at home, and during after years in this and adjoining counties. March 6, 1862, he married Miss Lucy A. Newson. She was born on her father’s farm, near Mt. Gilead. After the marriage he moved to a farm about four miles north of Mt. Gilead, and farmed there for about four years. He then came to Mt. Gilead, and engaged in his present business. By his marriage there are five children – Nellie, Netta, Anna, Clara, and Grace. His father, William Goorley, Sr., was born in Cumberland County, PA. April 3, 1793. At the age of 13, he moved with his parents to Brooke County, West Virginia and in his 29th year he married Miss Nancy Archer, an estimable and devoted Christian lady, with whom he lived in happy fidelity for more than thirty years. Seven sons and three daughters were born unto these parents and in addition to this large family, these parents had the charge of a widowed mother, who died in their house at the advanced age of 96 years. In 1843, Mr. Goorley and family moved to Morrow Co, Ohio, and settled on a farm, located a few miles southeast of Mt. Gilead, where he lived until his death Oct 14, 1877, aged 85 years. The first three years of his life was during Washington ’s second administration. He also saw the General at the head of 15,000 men enroute for Western Pennsylvania, to quiet the Whisky Insurrectionists. His father was a soldier throughout the Revolution, and he and his brother were soldiers in the war of 1812. Oct 15, 1851, he was called to mourn the death of his wife. In November 1854, he was untied in marriage to Miss Margaret Harper, who cheered him in his declining years. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]

E. A. GOORLEY, farmer; P. O. Gilead Station, was born in Brooke County Va, November 8, 1825, and lived there eighteen years, receiving but a limited education in the subscription schools of that period. In 1843, they came west, to Ohio, and settled on a farm two and a half miles south of Mt. Gilead. They came by wagons, one a four and one a two horse team. On the route, near Rockford, the larger team became frightened and ran away, going a mile and a half. The wagon contained household goods, on top of which sat the two daughters. It was upset, but, save a sprained wrist and some delay, no damage was done, and they finished the trip, and settled on the farm. E. A. lived at home until 1852. May 13 of that year, he married Miss Matilda Coe, who was born in this county. They have no children. They raised Mr. George O. Coe, and their niece, Sarah E. Blaney. Mr. Goorley now resides on his farm, located about two miles from Gilead Station. He has held offices connected with the school and roads, also that of Township Trustee and Assessor. His parents, William and Nancy (Archer) Goorley were natives of Pennsylvania and Virginia. They have ten children, seven of them boys. All are living and except one, away in Missouri. All were with their father during the last days of his life. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]

JOHN GARDNER, farmer. P, O, Mt. Gilead, was born in Franklin Township, Knox, now Morrow Co, May 1, 1819. In 1825, his parents moved to Richland Co., and located about four and one half miles northeast of Mt. Gilead. He lived at home twenty two years, then, in company with his brother in law he farmed a place belonging to his father, and located near West Point. December 29, 1842 he married Miss Harriet Carr. She was born in Richland County, Ohio, April 17, 1821. They occupied a house on the farm, and with his brother in law, continued farming the place, until 1850, in the fall of which year his father died, and the following year he bought the old homestead farm, which was entered by his father about 1822, and occupied in 1825. He farmed the place for three years, and then sold the same and bought his present place, and has lived here since. By his marriage there are four children – Quincy T. born February 16, 1844, and married Miss Lydia Truax, of Elkhart Co. Ind. He is farming his father’s place. Of their three children two are living – Eliza and George, Eunice, now Mrs. Bargar, born May 22, 1846 and lives in this vicinity. They had three children, two living – Melville and Zoa. Mary E., now Mrs. Iden, born November 4, 1848, and lives in Denmark County. Albert C, born March 30, 1856, and lives near Denmark. Mr. Gardner resides on his farm, which contains seventy five acres, and is located three and one half miles northeast of Mt. Gilead. He has served in the offices connected with the school and road, also as Township Trustee. His parents, Timothy and Sarah (Hawkins) Gardner, were natives of New Jersey and Vermont. They were married in Knox County, Ohio, where she came with her parents, and he when a young man. They settled here in Morrow County in 1825, and lived here until his death, in 1850. She lived on the old homestead until the sale of the same. She then moved to Minnesota, and later she went to the State of Maine, and lived with her son William until her death, March 17, 1873. They had eight children, six of whom are living. Her parents, Thomas and Sarah (Crosby) Hawkins, were natives of Conn. And New Jersey. Mrs. Harriet (Carr) Gardner ’s parents, David and Sarah (Fisher) Carr, were natives of New Jersey. They came to Richland County, Ohio, he in 1816, and she in 1820. They married there in 1820. He died there February 2, 1875. She is living on the old place where she has made her home for the past sixty years. Of their eleven children, eight are living, all but one of whom are married. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]

SAMUEL GELLER, RETIRED. Mr. Gilead, was born on his father’s farm in Knox Co., Ohio, Sept 3, 1820, and lived there about 12 years. When, with his parents, he moved to Marion (now Morrow) Co., and settled on a farm near the present Levering Station, where he lived until he was 27 years of age, assisting his father on the farm. He then began farming on his own account, on a piece of land in the neighborhood, given him by his father, upon which he continued until the year 1866. He then sold his land and moved to Mt. Gilead, where he since lived a retired life. January 9, 1848, he married Miss N. A. Beatty. She was born in Pennsylvania and came to this county with her parents when a child. His parents, Solomon and Mary ( Walker ) Geller were natives of Pennsylvania. They were married in Knox County Ohio, Whither they had moved at an early day. They came to Mt. Gilead as stated, where they died. He in March 1861, and she in August 1863. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]

ROSCOE S. GALLEHER
CARPENTER, Mt. Gilead, was born December 8, 1856, in Franklin Township, Morrow Co., Ohio. He was the son of Joseph H. and America C. (Hepsley) Galleher. His father was a native of Loudoun County VA. The mother was born in Maryland, near Baltimore. Joseph H. was a farmer, and removed to Morrow County in 1830. Roscoe was the eldest of a family of six children, viz Caleb R.; George F.; William J,; Dora M. and Ernest E. who died in infancy. Roscoe remained at home until 15 years of age, and then commenced learning his trade with Ezra Woodward, of Morrow County. He continued working at his trade until about 1875, when he went to Frederickstown, working on the grist mill, being at that time in business for himself. He stayed there until November 1875 and then returned to his father’s in Morrow Co. He afterwards worked on the town Hall building, for Mille & Smith, at Mt. Gilead. In 1877 Mr. G. purchased 75 acres of land, and for two years his time was partly occupied in farming. In 1879 he returned to Mt. Gilead, and was married to Arrilla M. Caywood, in 1877. They have one child – Ellis A., born February 16, 1878. Mr. G. has finished for himself an elegant residence on West High Street, and is beginning to reap some of the results of an industrious and well spent life.
[Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]

JUDGE HOUSE, retired, Mt. Gilead; was born in Chester Co., PA January 8, 1798, and is the son of Francis and Mary (Loney) House. Both parents were born in PA. His father was a chair maker by trade, but in later years followed farming. In about 1805 or 6, our subject with father and mother, emigrated to Ohio, and located in Jefferson County, near Mt. Vernon. His father died in Knox Co. Dec 1843, over 69 years of age. Judge House and his brother, Nathan House, learned the house joiner’s trade, which they followed together for a number of years. In 1828, Nathan House and Judge House commenced mercantile business two miles east of Mt. Gilead, where Nathan House carried on the business of the store, while our subject worked at the joiner’s trade, and in 1832, they moved their store to Mt. Gilead, and was at that time the third grocery store of that place. In 1833 Judge House moved to Mt. Gilead, where he has been one of it’s honored citizens ever since. These brothers carried on a very large business, owning at one time a grist mill, tannery, distillery, saddle shop and store, and operating two fine farms. Nathan House died in 1845, a respected and honored citizen, leaving a wife and six children to mourn his loss. When Judge House came here he, in 1833, built his present house, which he has made his home ever since. He continued in the mercantile business until 1872, when he retired. On the organization of Morrow County he was it’s Associate Judge, filling that office in 1847 and ’48 with marked ability. He was married in Mt. Vernon to Miss Mary D. Clements of England, March 2, 1830. She came to America and located in Ohio in 1828. By this union they have four children. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]

W. S. HOUSE, flouring mill; Mt. Gilead, was born in Mt. Gilead, in 1837. He is the son of Richard House, further mention of whom will be found in the biography of Mrs. Clara House Talmage. W.S. House commenced the milling business when 19 years of age, and continued until 1862, when he engaged in farming in Gilead Township. In 1877 he went back to the business for which he ws so well fitted by early training and long experience, and since that time has been furnishing the public with the choicest brands of flour, feed, etc. he has for a partner, Bradford Dawson, who is also a man of large experience in the business and is withal a genial whole souled gentleman.the quality of their flour being well known in Morrow and adjoining counties, they find ready sales for the same. Mr. House was married in 1859 to Victorine S. Barton. They had four children – Mary C. (being the only one living) Richard, Helen, and one who died in infancy. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]

R. P. HALLIDAY, cashier in the First National Bank; Mr. Gilead, is a native of Scotland, and was born in the Village of Dalbeattie, August 7, 1835, and at the age of 14 he entered the wholesale and retail grocery house of John Nicholson, and served in the same for five years. He then served one year in the grocery house of John McCaig. And next went into the employ of the Messrs. Sloan Brothers, wholesale dealers in groceries and importers of lumber. Upon his becoming of age, he came to the United States and settled in Mt. Gilead, Ohio, where he engaged in the general merchandise business. In 1864 he enlisted in the 136th O. N. G. and served about four months, the command being called out for 100 days. In 1867 he sold his general merchandise business and took his present position as Cashier of the First National Bank of Mt. Gilead. October 29, 1862, he married Miss Lucretia J, daughter of C.H. and Sarah ( Lyon )Chamberlain. She is a native of Knox, now Morrow County Ohio. They have two children-Grant c. and Robert M. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]

J. C. HOUSE, flouring mill, Mr. Gilead. Son of Richard House was born in 1832, in Mt. Vernon Ohio and when quite young went into his father’s flouring mill, and at the age of 16 had entire charge of the mill. Three years later he became his father’s partner, the firm named being J. C. House & Co. A few years afterwards a younger brother came into the firm which then read J. C. & W. S. House. This partnership was dissolved in 1862, when the mill passed into the hands of J. C. House. His long experience in the business enables him to furnish a grade of flour which cannot be surpassed. It is located on the Mt. Vernon Road just east of Mt. Gilead. Mr. House was untied in marriage to Arrietti M. Rhodes. They have three children – George C. born 1855; Miriam Bell born 1857; Frederick Wilber Richard, born 1859. Mr. House has been a member of the Baptist Church since 1838, is a Republican. He has been a member of the Board of Education and Town Council. He is liberal in his views and an active public spirited man. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]

MILTON HULL, farmer, P. O. Mt. Gilead, was born on his father’s farm in Congress Township, Richland County, Ohio, April 30, 1829. He lived at home until January 26, 1851, when he married Miss Rachel Wink. She was born in Gilead Township, Marion (Now Morrow County), Ohio. After marriage he moved to a farm near Caledonia and lived there one and one half years, when he moved to a farm on the Whetstone, and lived there about two years. He then came to his present place, which contains 150 acres, located about three miles northeast of Mt. Gilead. There were born six children, five o whom are living – Calvin, Alfaretta, Charles S., Tillie and Ida. His parents Charles and Rebuecca (Slack) Hull, were natives of PA. They married there and came west in the fall of 1828. They came West in wagons and wintered at Kern’s Tanyard, and the following spring they located on some land about three miles northeast of Mt. Gilead, and lived there until his death. After his death Mrs. Hull moved to Williamsport, and thence to Mt. Gilead, where she died. Of their eleven children, eight are living – Isaac, Bradford, Julia Ann, now Mrs. Boxley, Jane, now Mrs. Bird, Milton, Lydia, now Mrs. Vanatta, Thomas and Claude. All are married, and all except Thomas live in this county. He lives in Missouri. Mr. Hull was one of the soldiers of 1812 who settled in this vicinity. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]

BEN J. HULL, retired, Mt. Gilead, was born on his father’s farm in Sussex County, N. J. December 20, 1819. When he was 5 years of age his parents moved to Knox (Now Morrow) County, Ohio, and engaged in farming near Chesterville. He accompanied his parents to Indiana, and after their death there, he, in 1839, returned to Knox County, Ohio, and in 1840 he was apprenticed to the masons’ trade, to Mr. Joseph Beers, of Fredericktown. After three years service he came to Mt. Gilead and worked at his trade until 1874, since which time, owing to illness, he has retired, only looking after his farming interest. January 12, 1847, he married Miss Elizabeth Newson, a native of Maryland. She came to Ohio, when quite young. Of their three children, one is living – Alice R., now Mrs. Milton Davis, of Mt. Gilead. [Source: "History of Morrow County and Ohio: containing a brief history of the state..." By William Henry Perrin, J. H. Battle, O.L. Baskin & Co, 1880 - tr. for Genealogy Trails by Charlotte Slater]


JAMES K. SCOTT
Farmer, son of Robert and Mary A. (Keeble) Scott both deceased, was born in Morrow county, West Virginia, January 7, 1809. He settled in Gallia county, Ohio, in 1862. He died August 27, 1868. He was united in marriage with Clarissa A., daughter of Thomas and Prucilla (Craft) Black, both deceased, in Greenbrier, West Virginia, May 11, 1841. She was born in Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, January 25, 1823. They had two children: Samuel A., born May 6, 1848, resides in Lewisburg, West Virginia; Sarah E., May 11, 1851, lives at home and is a school-teacher. He held the position of captain of militia from 1840 to 1849. Postoffice address, Gallipolis, Gallia county, Ohio.  [SOURCE: History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c; James P. Averill; Hardesty & CO., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882. (TRANSCRIPTION NOTE:  There is no Morrow county, WV or VA, so this is more than likely meant to be Morrow, Ohio]


 



BACK -- HOME


Copyright © Genealogy Trails