History of the
THE NEW TOWNSHIP OF TWINSBURG
THE reader has already learned that the north and northeast portion of "Township 5" were drawn by Moses and Aaron Wilcox. At that time they were merchants in Killingworth, Conn. Born May 11, 1770, at North Killingworth, Conn., they had been educated in the same school had engaged in business together, had married sisters (Huldah and Mabel Lord of Killingworth) at the same time, and held their property in common. Though they did not personally visit their Ohio property till 1823, in 1819 they made an arrangement with the settlers to name the town. For this privilege they donated six acres of land for a public square and twenty dollars toward the erection of a schoolhouse. As they did not own the land covering the exact center of the township they set aside six acres adjacent to it. In naming the town they evidenced their oneness in feeling and called it Twinsburg.
At their store in Killingworth they had for inspection by possible purchasers a map of the lots in their tract in Twinsburg, made by Jos. Darrow, also a description of each lot and a plan of the settlement at Millsville. In the spring of 1820 they sent Elijah W. Bronson to Twinsburg to act as their agent. On the east side of the square he erected a log house which was the first building at the center. In the fall of 1820 he brought his wife and Samuel Hull to Twinsburg.
In 1823 the Wilcox twins came to Twinsburg. For a time they lived by themselves in a blacksmith shop that had belonged to Oliver Clark. It stood on the lot where the bank now stands. This was a temporary arrangement as that year they built on the same lot the first frame house erected at the center.
Instead of holding their lots about the square at speculative prices the Wilcox brothers sold them at very low figures and, as an inducement to tradesmen and mechanics to settle here, actually gave them lots for homes and shops. As a consequence of this wise policy within five or six years there were from twelve to fifteen families living near the square. In 1823 a post office was established with Moses Wilcox as postmaster.
In September, 1827, the Wilcox twins died within a few hours of each other. They were taken ill on the same day, of the same disease, and were buried in the same grave. Their death at this time, when money was becoming exceedingly scarce, caused a cessation of improvements in the northern part of town and this condition continued several years, but was finally relieved.
[Source: Twinsburg, Ohio 1817-1917, The Samuel Bissell Memorial Library Association of Twinsburg, Pages, 18-19 -- Submitted by Nancy Piper]
BACK -- HOME