Preble County, Ohio
JOHN I. ADAMS
If posterity is to profit by the experiences of its predecessors, it is from a careful observation of the lives of men who have acquired a prominence in the busy marts of commerce, and in whose footsteps generations yet to come must follow, that the most beneficial results will be obtained, rather than from the study of the lives of men of letters and philosophers, for the man who bravely faces the responsibilities of life, and by determined and untiring energy carves out for himself an honorable success, exerts a powerful influence upon the lives of those who follow. Mr. Adams is an American in all that the word implies. The scion of an old and much-honored Massachusetts family whose name has been connected with the history of that state from the colonial period, he inherited those puritanical principles of sterling integrity, determination of purpose and indomitable energy so characteristic of the American people, and these have placed him among the foremost of his fellows. He was born in Sussex county, N.J., July 23, 1816, and is the son of Isiah and Jane (Drake) Adams. Isiah Adams emigrated with his family, in 1818, to Preble county, Ohio, where he entered a tract of government land and located thereon. His death occurred in Ohio in 1857, his wife having died some years previous, in 1827. Our subject was but two years of age when he removed with his parents to Ohio. Preble county was then in its pioneer period. The nearest and most numerous neighbors were the wolves and wild deer, with which the forest abounded, and who eyed with suspicion and distrust this encroachment upon their native wilds, by those sturdy pioneers who had pushed westward, and in the face of innumerable dangers and privations opened new avenues of wealth and civilization. Cutting timber from the surrounding forest, they constructed a log cabin, and in this the family was domiciled. The busy housewife would card and spin the wool and flax, after which she would weave it into cloth and from it she would make the clothing for her family. Amidst such surroundings as these, John I. Adams spent his boyhood, assisting his parents, after having attained sufficient age, wearing his home-made clothing, and enjoying the limited advantages which fell to the lot of the pioneer boys. The little subscription school near his home, afforded but meager advantages for an education, but young Adams attended it for a few weeks during the winter period, applying himself with diligence. The little sanctum consisted of a log cabin, furnished with rude puncheon floor and benches, split from logs; while the only desk it afforded was a single slab extending around the room on pegs driven into the wall. A huge fireplace at one end of the room threw out a fierce heat, which battled continuously with the cold that found its way in between the openings in the log wall. The neighboring forest furnished an inexhaustible supply of fuel, which was cut into fire-wood by the larger boys of the school during the noon hour. It was amidst such scenes as these that Mr. Adams laid the foundation for his education. Nature dealt sternly with the youth of that period, and to their great advantage. They were reared in a mold of masculine character and were made fit to encounter and turn to account all vicissitudes. Those early struggles left a lasting effect upon their after lives, for it awakened the men and women to a stern realization of the responsibilities of life, and it may truly be said that Mr. Adams owes much of his success in life, to the struggles of his younger days, wherein was developed that tireless energy which has since characterized him. At the age of eighteen years he was thrown upon his own resources and began life for himself. He went to New York and there sought and obtained employment as a clerk in a large wholesale provision house, where he remained some time, carefully studying the business and familiarizing himself with the details, having determined to follow a mercantile life. In 1842 he determined to try his fortunes in the South, and taking passage on the "Mumford," a sailing vessel in port at New York, he found himself after a voyage of fifteen days in the city of New Orleans, landing there December 5, 1842. He at once cast about him for something to do, and in less than three days' time after his arrival, we find him established in the wholesale grocery business. To this he has since devoted his attention, and under his watchful care and efficient guidance the business has steadily grown and developed until to-day the firm of John I. Adams & Co. is widely and favorably known throughout the whole South, and enjoys a financial standing second to none. The success attending his efforts soon brought him into prominence among the business men of the "Crescent City," and he is well worthy the distinction. Notwithstanding the many cares and duties which fell to him in the transaction of such a business, he has not been so busy as to become oblivious to the welfare of his adopted city, and has always been interested in such movements and public enterprises as sought her advancement. As a citizen he has taken an active interest in political questions before the people, but has never sought office. He heartily espouses the democratic cause, being a firm believer in white supremacy. Mr. Adams has twice married. In 1848 occurred his union with Miss Sarah Francis Walsh, of New Orleans, and to them were born two children - one son who died in 1854, and one daughter. In 1866 Mrs. Adams, with their only surviving child, was lost in the wreck of the steamer "Evening Star" off the coast of Cape Hatteras, while en route from New York to their southern home. In 1868 Mr. Adams was united in marriage with Miss Mary E. Ong, of New Orleans, and of this union there are two children living - one son and one daughter - Lillie Elizabeth and William B. In person Mr. Adams is of pleasing appearance, his kindly and generous countenance beaming with good nature. He is amiable and courteous toward all, and this attribute has won for him the respect of all classes of his fellow-citizens. As a citizen he is public spirited and generous; as a business man he has pursued a course which has ever been above suspicion, making scrupulous integrity and justice toward his fellow-men his motto. His career in life furnishes food for reflection for the younger generation, showing as it does what may be achieved by perseverance and energy. Although Mr. Adams has passed the allotted "three-score years and ten," he is still strong and active. The passing years have left him but few traces, and although his hair is silvered, it becomes the wearer as the crown of a life well spent, rather than as a mark of advancing age. [Source: Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Louisiana; Chicago; The Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1892; transcribed by KM]
EDMUND BLOOMFIELD, M. D., prominent physician and surgeon of Peru, is a native of Ohio, born near the city of Eaton on the 29th day of December, 1841. His father, Reuben Bloomfield, was born in Preble County, Ohio, in the year 1809, and his mother, Ann (Hopkins) Bloomfield, was a native of the same state also, and died there about the year 1856. Dr. Bloomfield's early educational training was received in the schools of his native city, supplemented by a course in the Miami University, Oxford, Ohio, in which institution he pursued his literary studies for nearly two years, making substantial progress during that period. His early tastes leading him to a choice of the medical profession, the Doctor, in 1866, commenced preparing for the same by a course of reading with A. L. Dunham, M. D., of Eaton, under whose instruction he continued until the fall of the following year. He then entered the medical department of the University of Michigan, at Ann Arbor, completing the prescribed course in 1869, and graduating the summer of the same year in Pharmaceutical chemistry. Having thus thoroughly familiarized himself with the profession, he began the active practice in 1870 at Peru, Indiana, where his superior professional ability soon won for him a conspicuous place among the successful medical men of the county. Dr. Bloomfield, as a skillful physician and surgeon takes high rank, possessing many of the elements of popularity, and, since locating in Peru, his practice has been eminently successful, both professionally and financially. His extensive acquaintance in this and adjoining counties, together with his well known integrity and ability, has brought him a large and lucrative business, while his standing as a citizen is such as to make him popular with a large circle of friends and acquaintances. In politics he is a Democrat, but in no sense of the word a partisan; although firm in his convictions and intellectually qualified to fill official position he avoids the strife of political contests, preferring to give his entire time to his profession. Dr. Bloomfield's marriage with Miss Helen Davenport, of Peru, was solemnized April 26, 1871. They have three children, viz: Mary G., Guy D., and Nellie B. Bloomfield. Mrs. Bloomfield is a member of the Episcopal Church of the city. Dr. Bloomfield is a member of State Medical Society, American Medical Association and County Medical Society. [pg. 397-398, "History of Miami County, Indiana: From the Earliest Time to the Present..." 1887; Brant and Fuller, Tr. by K.T.]
Andrew L. Burk
Was born in Giles county, Virginia, September 6, 1810. He removed to Preble county, Ohio, in 1824, and in 1828 emigrated to Cass county, Michigan. In 1838 he removed to a farm in Berrien, Berrien county. By occupation, a farmer; in politics, a Democrat. He was a Representative in the legislature of 1849. ["Bingham Michigan Biographies - Early History with Biographies of State Officers"; 1887]
Clark H. Carr
Clark H. Carr, M.D., a physician and surgeon of Cowden, was born in Kenawha County, W. Va., August 25, 1834. His parents, John K. and Margaret (Wyant) Carr, were natives of the East, the father being born in Greenbrier County, Va., in 1812, and the mother in Lawrenceburg, Ind., in 1818. The father has been living since 18532 in DeWitt County, this State. The mother died September 1, 1891. Nine of their large family of six sons and seven daughters are still living, of whom our subject was the eldest.
The brothers and sisters of our subject are Violetta, wife of James Darby, a farmer in Minnesota; John, who first married Mary Lloyd and afterwar was united with Ellen Sway, with whose assistance he is now carrying on farming in Sumner County, Kans.; Julia Ann, who was the wife of Stephen Webster, and died in DeWitt County, Ill., in 1872; Isaac L., a farmer near Humboldt, Iowa, who married Mary Day; Mary, who married William Stewart and died in Minnesota in 1871; Jane, the wife of Philip Shellenberger, a farmer who lives in Piatt County, this State; Sarah E., who first married William Stewart, a cousin of her sister Mary's husband and afterward became the wife of George Hitchen, of Gibson City, Ill.; Michael M., who married Sophronia Barr and lives in Piatt County; Leonard S., who married Elizabeth McMann, and resides in DeWitt County, and two children who died in early infancy.
The subject of this sketch accompanied his parents from West Virginia to Indiana, thence to Missouri and in 1852 located with them in DeWitt county, Ill., where the father now resides. He received his education in the public schools of this State and was about twenty-five years old when he began to read medicine. In 1866 he commenced the practice of his profession in Christian County, but in 1873 came to Cowden, where he remained for two years and then went back to his old place in Christian County. In the spring of 1880 he returned to Cowden where he has since remained.
Dr. Carr has been twice married. His first wife was Mary C. Green, who was born in Preble County, Ohio, in 1836, and married the Doctor in Indiana in 1856. One child was born of this marriage, Millard Fillmore, whose natal day was August 18, 1857. On October 31, of the same year, Mrs. Carr passed from earth, and her son was tenderly reared by his paternal grandparents.
The second marriage of our subject took place October 13, 1859, when he was united with Catherine Johnson. She was born December 17, 1833 in Ross County, Ohio. The six children born of this marriage are all living Mary C., born September 1, 1860, is now Mrs. James E. Orendoff, and lives in Hall County, Neb.; Laura E., born January 22, 1863, married Alfred E. Gross, and lives in Davis County, Neb.; Samuel C., born December 4, 1864, is engaged in the study of medicine; Margaret E., born July 2, 1867, married William G. Banning and resides on a farm in Dry Point Township, Shelby County; Ida F., born February 22, 1868, and Catherine J., born April 10, 1871, are at home with their parents.
Dr. Carr has established a fine reputation as a practitioner and enjoys a large and lucrative practice in Cowden and vicinity. He is regarded in the community as the leading physician. He attended lectures at the Missouri Medical College at St. Louis, Mo., at which popular institution he made a creditable record. He has always been a close student and has labored hard to gain the standing which he now holds in his profession. Realizing that old age is creeping on, the Doctor has inspired his son Samuel with the desire to receive the mantle of his sire when he shall drop it, and thus to perpetuate the family name in the profession. The Doctor is a worthy member of Joppa Lodge, No. 706, A. F. & A. M., at Cowden, and a stanch Republican in politics having always voted that ticket, and being regarded as the local leader in his party.
In connection with this biographical notice the reader will find a lithographic portrait of Dr. Carr. [Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois..."; Chicago Biographical Publishing Co., 1891; tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
DAVID CHARTERS (deceased) was a native of Lewiston, Pennsylvania, and son of William and Elizabeth (Comfort)Charters, parents natives of the same state. The family moved to Miami County, Indiana, in 1846 and settled on a farm two miles west of Peru, where the mother died in 1873 and the father in 1865. David Charters was born, January 24, 1821, was reared a farmer and followed agricultural pursuits all his life. He came to Miami County in 1846 and from that time until his death lived upon the beautiful home place west of Peru. He was a man of much more than ordinary intelligence as is attested by the fact that he was several times chosen by the people of Miami to positions of trust, in all of which he acquitted himself with such commendable fidelity that no one was ever known to utter a breath of suspicion against his official record. During the war and for several years thereafter, he served as County Commissioner and in 1874 was elected to represent Miami in the State Legislature. In his business transactions he was uniformly successful and as a farmer he stood among the first in the county. On the 24th day of October, 1852 he was married to Eliza Long, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Tingle) Long, of Delaware. Mrs. Charters was born in Eaton, Preble County, Ohio, and is the mother of nine children, seven of whom are living, to-wit: William, Juniata, Mifflin, Emmet, Margaret, Lafayette and Charle Charters. The deceased members of the familv were Sarah and Catharine. Mr. Charters died on the 11th day of March, 1882. His widow and several of the children still reside upon the home place, which is one of the best improved farms in Peru Township. [pg. 402, "History of Miami County, Indiana: From the Earliest Time to the Present..." 1887; Brant and Fuller, Tr. by K.T.]
William I. Christian, M. D.
It is not always easy to discover and define the hidden forces that have made up a life of ceaseless activity and large professional success. Little more can be done than to note their manifestations in such a career as that of Dr. William I. Christian, whose career is a striking example of well-defined purpose, with the disposition to make that purpose subserve not only his own interests, but the good of his fellow men as well. Doctor Christian long has been regarded as a physician of pre-eminent qualities, a man of sound mentality and fine intellectual discipline. He has achieved a notable success, a success which has been fully recognized and appreciated throughout this section of Ohio. In addition to his long and creditable career as a physician and surgeon, he has proved an honorable and helpful member of the body politic in every relation of life. He has never fallen below the dignity of true manhood, or in any way resorted to methods that invite censure.
Dr. William I. Christian was born November 22, 1865, in Clay township, Montgomery county, Ohio, the son of Samuel B. and Talitha (Heckman) Christian, to whom five children were born: Dr. W. I., with whom this narrative deals, is the eldest; David E., a farmer living in Miami county, Ohio; Theodore H., a blacksmith of Miami county; Mrs. Louetta J. Slough, a resident of Montgomery county, Ohio, and Mrs. Mary A. Fisher, of Darke county, Ohio.
Samuel B. Christian was born in Union township, Miami county, Ohio, and died February 7, 1912. He was a son of David and Mary (Brumbaugh) Christian, who were natives of Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, who, in an early day, moved to Montgomery county, Ohio, where they farmed the remainder of their lives. Mrs. Samuel B. Christian was born February 11, 1843, in Montgomery county, Ohio, and died February 25, 1912, there being only eighteen days difference between the death of father and mother. The parents of Mrs. Samuel B. Christian were William and Mary (Brandenburg) Heckman, natives of Virginia, and early settlers in Montgomery county.
Dr. William I. Christian attended the district schools of Montgomery county, was reared on a farm and farmed a portion of his father's land until 1889. In that year he entered the Medical College of Ohio at Cincinnati, Ohio, and was graduated March 5, 1891, Upon receiving his diploma Doctor Christian went to Pittsburg, Darke county, Ohio, and began the active practice of his profession. He remained at that place until October 12: 1893, when he came to Preble county and took up the practice at Verona. He enjoys a large practice in Preble, Montgomery and Darke counties. Since locating in Verona, he has built a beautiful all-modern home at a cost of about twenty-five hundred dollars. The design of this house, which is different from most houses in this locality, was conceived by Doctor Christian himself.
Doctor Christian was married on December 31, 1885, to Minetta Taylor, who was born October 3, 1866, in Montgomery county, Ohio, a daughter of Alfred and Martha (Thomas) Taylor, natives of England and Montgomery county, Ohio, respectively. Her father operated a saw-mill in Indiana for many years, and also was a farmer. Later he became a butcher, then a merchant, and continued in this latter capacity until his death. Mrs. Christian's mother is now living at Phillipsburg, Montgomery county. Both her father and mother were devoted and earnest members of the Christian church.
To Doctor and Mrs. W. I. Christian two children have been born: Earl T., born November 12, 1887, and died November 13, 1887; John W., born January 18, 1908.
Doctor Christian is an independent voter, and does not affiliate with any political party. He and his wife attend church, but they are not members of any church. Fraternally, Doctor Christian is a member of the Knights of Pythias, the Junior Order of United American Mechanics and the Loyal Order of Moose. He is prominent in the affairs of these fraternities and a leader in their various activities. Doctor Christian is not only entitled to rank as one of the leading physicians of Preble county, but he is 1ikewise entitled to rank as one of its leading citizens, a man who is in every way worthy of the confidence which has been placed in him by his fellow citizens, and of the esteem with which they regard him. [History of Preble County, Ohio: Her People, Industries and Institutions (1915) by Robert Eaton Lowry, pages 436-438; MZ - sub by FoFG]
Edmond S. Dye
Ohio always has been distinguished for the high rank of her bench and bar. Perhaps none of the states in the middle West can boast of more capable jurists or abler attorneys. Many of them have been men of national fame, but there is scarcely a town or city in the state that cannot boast of from one to half a dozen lawyers capable of crossing swords in forensic combat with any of the distinguished legal lights of the country. While the growth and development of the state during the last half century has been marvelous indeed, viewed from any standpoint, yet Ohio has no class of citizens of whom she can be more proud than of her judges and attorneys. In Edmond S. Dye are to be found many of those rare qualities which go to make the successful lawyer. He possesses those solid and substantial qualities which shine with constant luster. Since the beginning of his practice at Eaton, Ohio, Mr. Dye has enjoyed a wonderful law practice, especially in probate work, and it is doubtful if he has a peer in western Ohio who is more thoroughly equipped or more readily conversant with this branch of the law. Edmond S. Dye is a native of Preble county. He was born at Euphemia, in Harrison township, February 14, 1858, the son of Abraham S. and Susannah (Kumler) Dye. Abraham S. is the son of Seth and Margaret (Simpson) Dye. Both Seth Dye and his wife were natives of Trenton, New Jersey. They grew up in that place and there married. After their marriage, they came to Butler county, Ohio, locating near Middletown, where they lived until after the canal was built. They then moved into the beech in the eastern part of Preble county, and there they lived the remainder of their lives. Abraham S. Dye was reared in Preble county. He was born in Butler county in 1817 and died March 17, 1896. He was educated in the common schools and was a wagon maker by trade. Later he became a farmer. Throughout his life he was active in church work and his home was the stopping place for preachers of the United Brethren and Methodist churches. His wife, Susannah Kumler, was the daughter of Bishop Henry Kumler, who was one of the heads of the United Brethren church in the United States, a great minister and organizer and opposed to secret societies of all kinds. His voice was heard in all parts of the country on this question. Mrs. Dye died in 1865. Mr. and Mrs. Dye were the parents of six sons, William T., who is a retired merchant in Dayton, Ohio; C. B., who is marshal of West Alexandria, Ohio; Charles, who lives in the state of Washington; Edmond S., the subject of this sketch; Carl D. and Joseph E., both of Alberta, Canada. Edmond S. Dye was reared on a farm in Preble county, Ohio, and received his early education in the district schools. He attended the high school at Lewisburg and attended two years at Otterbein University, and was graduated from the law school of the University of Cincinnati in the class of 1882, receiving the degree of Bachelor of Laws. Immediately after his graduation, Mr. Dye associated himself with Judge John. V. Campbell, with whom he previously had read law. This partnership continued until the death of Judge Campbell on July 2, 1888. Mr. Dye then practiced alone in the same office until the spring of 1910, when his two sons became associated with him. On February 9, 1882, Edmond S. Dye was married to Birdie G. Campbell, a daughter of Judge Campbell. She was educated in the public schools of Eaton, Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Dye have three sons, Robert Campbell, John Van Ausdal and Edmond Kumler. Robert C. was graduated from the Eaton high school and from the law school of the University of Cincinnati. He is now assistant city solicitor of Long Beach, California. John V. was graduated from the high school and the same law school as his brother. He is now associated with his father in the practice of law. Edmond K. was graduated from the Eaton high school with the class of 1915. Robert C. married Vinnie Royer, of Eaton, Ohio. John V. married Myrtle White, of Lewisburg, Ohio. Mr. Dye is a member of the Presbyterian church at Eaton, and has served as superintendent of the Sunday school for the past twenty-five years. He also has been an elder and deacon of the church. He is a member of Bolivar Lodge No. 82, Free and Accepted Masons, and of Eaton Lodge No. 30, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, in which order he is a past grand. Mr. Dye is the present representative of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company at Eaton. Aside from Mr. Dye's success as a lawyer, he is what might be called a successful citizen, because he has efficiently and capably discharged his duties as a citizen as well as his responsibilities as a father and husband. He is a representative lawyer of western Ohio, it is true, but he also is a representative citizen of Preble county. ["History of Preble County, O hio, her people, industries and institutions : with biographical sketches of representative citizens and genealogical records of old families"; by R.E. Lowry; pub 1915]
John H. Helm
JOHN H. HELM, M. D., of Peru, is one of the ablest physicians in Northern Indiana. His early life was not like that of many here chronicled—a struggle with poverty—but was characterized by the possession of ample means, and for some years by travel and adventure. Having previously acquired a literary and professional education, he was able to improve his opportunities for travel by intelligent observation. Both physical and mental, he bears evidence of descent from superior stock. His paternal grandfather was a well educated German, who having settled in America, helped in the Revolutionary war to defend the land of his adoption. His father, Dr. John C. Helm, an early settler of Miami County, and one of its most wealthy and influential citizens, was a man of vigorous intellect and iron will, and his mother, Amy (Hampton) Helm, was the daughter of Major John Hampton, of South Carolina, who served with General Jackson in the war of 1812, and a second cousin of the noted Wade Hampton of the present day. Dr. John C. Helm was born at Charleston, in what is now West Virginia, November 7, 1800. Two years later the family removed to Washington County, Tennessee. At eleven years of age he entered Washington College, and during the course walked every day to and from school, a distance of three and-a-half miles. He embraced the medical profession, and pursuing it with characteristic zeal and energy, became a well qualified physician. In 1821 he married Amy Hampton, above mentioned, by whom he had eight children. In 1835 he removed to Preble County, Ohio, and there practiced medicine until 1844, when he came to Miami County, Indiana, built a large flouring mill at Peru, and afterward another at Peoria, in the same county, where he finally established his home. There he continued the duties of his profession, and so invested the receipts as to amass a fortune. In 1865 occurred the death of his intelligent and devoted wife. After this severe affliction he divided most of his real estate among his three sons, giving to each property of much value. These sons are John H., Henry T., a prominent lawyer of Chicago, and David B., a farmer, who are respected wherever known. Sometime after making this liberal provision for his children, Doctor Helm married in Chicago, his son Henry's mother-in-law, an estimable lady, but she soon died, and he did not long survive her. On the 7th of September, 1847, the strong man, who had never known weakness or defeat, yielded to the resistless enemy, death. He was a man of wonderful energy and tenacity of purpose. He had made and lost fortune after fortune, but no adversity could wholly overcome him, and finally, as if victorious over adverse fate, he died in the possession of wealth. His son, Doctor John H. Helm, the principal subject of this sketch, was born at Elizabethtown, Carter County, Tennessee, April 23, 1826. His education was gained chiefly through private instruction. Having inherited in some respects his fathers tastes, he studied medicine, first under Doctor Pliny M. Crume, at Eaton, Ohio, and with Doctor Charles L. Avery. In 1844 he entered the Ohio Medical College at Cincinnati, from which he graduated in 1847 and immediately commenced practice in partnership with Doctor Crume, at Eaton. In the meantime, in the spring of 1846, he was mustered into the United States service under General Wool, and served one year in the war with Mexico. The years 1848-'49 and 1850 were spent in traveling through California, Oregon, Mexico, the West Indies and Central America, and a portion of South America. In 1851 he married Mary Henkle, daughter of Rev. Andrew Henkle, of Germantown, Ohio, but she died only about a year later. Having resumed the duties of his profession with Doctor Crume, he remained at Eaton until 1860, when he removed to Peru, Indiana. There he soon established himself in the confidence and esteem of the people and gained a large and lucrative practice. In 1854 he married his second wife, Margaret Ridenour, of Preble County, Ohio. They have three children, one daughter and two sons, living. He still resides in Peru and intends to abide there the remainder of his days. Besides attending to his patients Doctor Helm directs the management of his farms in Miami County, Indiana, and Champaign County, Illinois. Though he possesses good business qualifications and has Required considerable wealth, his chief ambition has been to excel in the medical profession, and he has lent his best energies in that direction. In this laudable purpose he has not failed, as shown in part by the honors conferred upon him by various medical societies. The Indiana State Medical Society, of which he is a member, made him in 1876 their president. In 1872 he was elected president of the Miami County Medical Society. He organized the Peru Hoard of Health and has ever since been its president. He is a member also of the American Medical Association. Dr. Helm has contributed various able articles to these societies and to medical journals. He was one of the company of 173 physicians who crossed the continent to San Francisco to attend the meeting of the American Association in that city in 1871, and an honorary membership in the California Medical was there conferred upon him. Having been absorbed in the labors of his profession, Dr. Helm has neither sought nor accepted any political distinction, though his talents and acquirements would have enabled him to succeed in that field. He was a Democrat in early life, but in later years he has voted for those candidates he deemed most eligible, regardless of their party connection. He is a member of the Catholic church. Tall, powerful and possessing much personal magnetism, Dr. Helm is fitted to influence men by these qualities alone, and, uniting with them talent, culture and experience, he cannot fail to be a leader in every enterprise he undertakes. His lot seems enviable, and it is hoped he may long live in the enjoyment of his family, his medical reputation and the material blessings with which he is surrounded. [pgs. 431-33, "History of Miami County, Indiana: From the Earliest Time to the Present..." 1887; Brant and Fuller, Tr. by K.T.]
Robert A. Hiestand
The gentleman whose name forms the caption of this review belongs to that class of men who win in life's battles by sheer force of personality and determination, coupled with soundness of judgment and keen discrimination, and in whatever he has undertaken he has shown himself to be a man of ability and honor, always ready to lend his aid in defending principles affecting the public good. In every phase of civic life he has so conducted himself as to earn the unqualified indorsement and support of the citizens of the city and county where he lives.
Robert A. Hiestand, of the firm of Hiestand & Company, which operates a saw-mill and planing-mill and deals in building material, was born April 9, 1870, in Eaton, Ohio, the son of Henry C. and Nancy M. (Acton) Hiestand, natives of Ohio, who were the parents of five children, the others being: Harvey H., an architect of New York City; Andrew J., of Eaton, cashier of that institution until the organization of the old Preble County National Bank; Berthenia, the wife of Lloyd Pennick, of Chariton, Iowa, and Henry C., of Eaton, cashier of the Preble County National Bank.
Henry C. Hiestand was born in Montgomery county, Ohio, and grew to manhood in Dayton. He came to Eaton in the sixties as cashier of the Preble county branch of the State Bank of Ohio, and organized and was cashier of that institution until the organization of the old Preble County Bank, which he also organized, and of which he was president until his death in July, 1884, at the age of fifty-three years. His widow still survives. Both were members of the Presbyterian church and Mrs. Hiestand is still devoted to this faith, taking an active part in the work of the congregation of which she is a member.
John Hiestand, the paternal grandfather of Robert A., was a native of Pennsylvania and a pioneer in Montgomery county, Ohio, where he was a farmer, and where he and his wife lived to advanced ages. They were the parents of the following children, Jacob, Elizabeth, Mary, Erin, Andrew, Julia and Henry C. The maternal grandparents of Mr. Hiestand were John P. and Berthenia (Stephens) Acton, natives of Virginia and early settlers of Preble County, Ohio, who were the parents of five children, Nancy M., Joseph W., Mary B., Harvey and Thomas.
Robert A. Hiestand was reared in Eaton, where he attended the public schools. After finishing the high-school course in the city schools, he became a student of Miami University, from which institution he was graduated in 1892, with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. He then went to Chicago and worked in the construction department of the General Electric Company, with which firm he remained for two years, at the at the end of which time he came to Eaton and took charge of the electric light and ice plant, afterwards engaging in the saw-mill and lumber business, which he continued in partnership with his brother, A. J. Hiestand. He is also a director in the Preble County National Bank, of Eaton, and is president of the board of waterworks trustees.
Mr. Hiestand was married October 25, 1905, to Melissa Gibbons, the daughter of John H. Gibbons, who was one of three children born to her parents, the others being Mary, the wife of C. W. Eidson, and Ada, the wife of L. C. Reynolds. Mr. and Mrs. Hiestand are members of the Presbyterian church and Mr. Hiestand is a trustee of the church in Eaton. Fraternally, Mr. Hiestand belongs to Bolivar Lodge No. 82, Free and Accepted Masons, and of Eaton Chapter No. 22, Royal Arch Masons. Politically, Mr. Hiestand is a Republican, but his extensive business interests have prevented him from taking a very active part in political affairs. Mr. and Mrs. Hiestand are deservedly popular in the city where they live and where Mr. Hiestand is regarded as one of the most representative citizens and business men. [Source: "History of Preble County, Ohio: Her People, Industries and Institutions" (1915) by Robert Eaton Lowry, pages 438-439; MZ - submitted by FoFG]
Carter B. Higgins
CARTER B. HIGGINS, M. D., is a native of Preble County, Ohio, born December 15, 1843. being the eldest of the family of Jesse and Ann M. (Rodebaugh) Higgins, natives respectively of Montgomery County, Ohio, and Albany, New York. The family is of English extraction. The father of our subject came to Miami County in 1846 and settled in Peru. He first took charge of the Peru Mills and subsequently dealt in real estate. From 1858 to 1860, he was Deputy Treasurer of Miami County. Later he was Mayor of Peru. He was a prominent man and held many positions of trust with credit to himself. His death took place January 17, 1879, having been born in 1806. His marriage was solemnized December 27, 1841. Of five children born, only two survive; Harriet M. Logue, of Chicago, and the subject of this biography, who was educated at the Peru High School and Earlham College. At eighteen years of age he began the study of medicine in the office of Drs. Constant and Walker, of this city, and in October, 1865, he entered the Rush Medical College at Chicago and graduated from that institution in 1866, and then returned to Peru, and engaged in the practice of his profession in partnership with Dr. Walker, one of his preceptors. This union practice continued until 1869, when Dr. Higgins removed to Rochester, Indiana, where he remained a short time and then returned to Peru and this has since been his residence. He still continues the active practice and is one of the leading physicians of Miami County. He was married January 22, 1868, to Miss Sarah E. Jay, of Miami County, daughter of Thomas Jay, deceased. To this issue are three children; Clara, Jesse and Alice. Dr. Higgins is Secretary of the Miami Medical Society, and Treasurer of the State Society and a member of the American Association. He also holds the position of consulting surgeon of the Wabash. St. Louis & Pacific Hospital located at Peru. He is a Mason and a man of prominence and honor. [pgs. 434, "History of Miami County, Indiana: From the Earliest Time to the Present..." 1887; Brant and Fuller, Tr. by K.T.]
Huffman, Armstead was born 19 Jul 1785 Culpepper Co, VA s/o Ambrose & Mary (Railsback). He moved with his family to Barren Co, KY where he married Nancy Button d/o Jacob & Sarah (Morgan. Armstead & Nancy came to Preble Co, OH in 1815. Nancy was born in 1786 Fauquier Co, VA and died in 1825 Preble Co, OH. Armstead died 05 Apr 1857. Their children were: Ambrose, Thomas M, Mrs Sally Mattox, Overton, Morgan, Nathan, Mrs Nancy White, Mrs Mary Stephens, Mrs Alzina Campbell w/o Jehu B, and James. Of these children Ambrose, Sally, Overton, Mary & James are deceased. Son, Thomas was born 1808. He lived on the old family farm until 1866, selling it to Porter Webb. Thomas married in 1831 to Annie Conger, who died in 1877, their only son was JA born in 1835, now lives in Camden. [Sub. by Jeana Gallagher.]
Earl H. Irvin
Earl H. Irvin, the well-known editor and publisher of the Eaton Democrat, enjoyed a thorough preparation for newspaper work. Mr. Irvin has made an unusual success in journalism and has been honored politically on several occasions.
Earl H. Irvin was born in New Paris, Ohio, May 9, 1877, the son of Harvey and Eleanor (Bowman) Irvin, the former a native of Ohio and the latter of Indiana. They had three sons: Harry, of Campbellstown, Ohio; Albert, who died in infancy, and Earl H.
Harvey Irvin was born in Highland county, but was reared in Preble County. He was a bookkeeper and came to Preble county about I844, and lived here the balance of his life. He died in New Paris in 1877, at the age of thirty-five. His wife died at Richmond, Indiana, in 1880, at the age of thirty-six. Both were active and devoted members of the Presbyterian church.
The paternal grandparents of Earl H. Irvin were Thomas and Caroline (Young) Irvin, natives of Highland county, Ohio. Mr. Irvin was a farmer and died in Preble county at an advanced age. He had a small family, Harvey and Emma. The maternal grandparents of Earl H. Irvin were Robert and Margaret Bowman, who came from Indiana to Preble county and settled in New Paris. Robert Bowman was a school teacher, being one of the early teachers in Eaton. He also was a skilled mathematician and quite a noted teacher. Mr. Bowman served as a Union soldier in the Civil War. He had six children: Lydia. Lillian, Robert, Addie, Elizabeth and Eleanor. Later in life he moved to Kansas, near Minneapolis, where he and his wife died at advanced ages.
Earl H. Irvin was reared in New Paris and attended the public schools there. He began learning the printer's trade in the office of the New Paris Mirror, and was with that paper from 1893 to 1896, He then went to Chattanooga, Tennessee, and worked in the Chattanooga Times Office. In 1897 he came back to Ohio and bought the New Madison Herald, in Darke county, publishing that paper for a year, after which he returned to New Paris and worked with the Mirror until 1902. He then bought the Eaton Democrat, a weekly newspaper which was established in 1840, and which he has published since. Mr. Irvin, in addition to publishing the Eaton Democrat, also does a general job printing business.
On April 27, 1899, while at New Paris, Earl H. Irvin was married to Jennie Boatman, of Seven Mile, Butler county, Ohio, the daughter of Reed B. and Martha (Samuels) Boatman. Seven children have been born to this union: Ruth, Martha, Anna, Marjorie, Lois, Earla and Earl, Jr.
Mrs. Irvin's parents were natives of Butler county and are still living at Seven Mile. Of their children, three are now living, Ollie, Alonzo and Jennie.
Mr. Irvin is an ardent Democrat, and while in New Paris was a member of the council and mayor of the town. He was a member of the seventy-seventh and seventy-ninth General Assemblies of Ohio, from 1906 to 1909 and from 1911 to 1913. At present Mr. Irvin is deputy collector of internal revenue for the first Ohio district, with headquarters at Cincinnati, but his residence is in Eaton.
Mr. Irvin belongs to the Universalist church, while his wife is a member of the United Brethren church. He also is a member of Bolivar Lodge No. 82, Free and Accepted Masons, and of Eaton Chapter No. 22, Royal Arch Masons.
Mr. Irvin is held in universal esteem throughout Preble county, is a man of great strength of character and genial disposition, and is popular among a large circle of friends. [Source: "History of Preble County, Ohio: Her People, Industries and Institutions" (1915) by Robert Eaton Lowry, pages 435-436; MZ - Sub by FoFG]
George W. Jones
Without the confidence of the public the fate of a bank is sealed. In order to inspire trust there must be solid capital and officials of established reputation. Minor institutions spring up, employing outward show of wealth, and thereby deceiving the simple, but solid, reliable business men are not taken in by outside sheen and bold pretence. They demand the evidences of resources and liabilities and the character of these. Knowing the foundation to be secure, then they confidently entrust their money and repose faith in the efficiency and honesty of those having charge. There is something refreshing and inspiring in contemplating an institution like the Exchange Bank at Marcellus, for it is one of the most conservatively conducted financial institutions of Cass County. The Owner and proprietor, George W. Jones, is an honorable and careful man and one who is very popular and respected in financial and social circles. He has a large burglar-proof safe of the very latest improved pattern, and the vault is fire proof. The bank is in a very flattering condition, as is shown by Mr. Jones' books at the close of business June 30, 1893. [profit statement omitted]
Courteous and attentive officials and clerks afford ready service upon such as may have business with the bank, and every possible care is taken that everything shall he disputed without delay, yet thoroughly. Mr. Jones is a product of the Buckeye State, born in Preble County April 3, 1824, and comes of Welsh extraction on the paternal side, his great- great-grandfather having left that country for this at a very early period. George Jones, the grandfather of our subject, was a native of Georgia, as was also the father of our subject, Henry Jones, whose birth occurred about 1790. The grandfather married Miss Lydia Hopson, and reared his family in Ohio, to which State he came in 1807. He left a large family of children. His son Henry was about seventeen years of age when he moved with his parents to Ohio, and he was there married to Miss Hannah Green. Following his marriage he located in Preble County, Ohio, and was one of the early settlers there. Agricultural pursuits were his principal occupation, and he became one of the foremost farmers. About 1830 he moved to Michigan, settled in Penn Township, Cass County, and entered and bought large tracts of Government land, owning at the time of his death between eight and nine hundred acres. He brought a large amount of line stock with him to Cass County, and they had a hard time to live through the first winter. There were few farmers in the township at that time, timber covered the face of the country, and Mr. Jones and family fully realized the privations and hardships experienced by early settlers.
Twelve children were born to his marriage, but only three besides our subject are now living, a daughter and two sons. Esther, widow of John Nixon, resides at Marcellus; Amos resides two miles north of Cassopolis; and Phineas resides on Young's Prairie. Those deceased were named: Lydia, Rebecca, Elizabeth, Phoebe, Hannah, Henry, Abigail and Jesse. The father of these children was reared among Quakers and was a man of more than ordinary intelligence. Formerly a Whig in politics, later in life he voted the Democratic ticket and affiliated with that party until his death, which occurred in March, 1851. He was a fine man physically, large and well proportioned, and very seldom ill. For one term he was County Commissioner and he also filled the office of Township Supervisor, as well as other township offices. George W. Jones was about six years of age when he came with his parents to Cass County, Mich., and in this county he received a limited education in the common schools. Much of his time in youth was passed in assisting his father clear the farm, and most of his education has been received by reading and experience. Deer and other wild animals abounded at that time, and Indians were common. On the 24th of December, 1853, he was united in marriage with Miss Emma B. Sherman, daughter of Elias B. Sherman. The latter came to Michigan at an early date, was Judge of the Probate Court for some time, and helped to lay out the town of Cassopolis. He became the owner of two hundred acres of land, and was an influential citizen. Mrs. Jones was born in Cassopolis and died at her home in Marcellus in 1870.
Our subject's second marriage was to Miss Lizzie Osborn, daughter of Nathan Osborn, who was a real-estate dealer, and one of the pioneers of St. Joseph County, Mich. He was Circuit Judge of that county and held other positions of importance. He was a native of Connecticut, but his daughter, Mrs. Jones, was born in St. Joseph County, Mich., and received her education there and at South Bend, Ind. After his first marriage, Mr. Jones located on Young's Prairie, purchased and inherited from his father's old farm one hundred and sixty acres of timber and prairie land, and remained on this until 1867, when he moved to Cassopolis. Later he came to what is now Marcellus, bought a farm of two hundred and eleven acres, the present site of that town, and he and a few other gentlemen laid out this place. Mr. Jones then engaged in a real-estate business and was also engaged in buying and shipping live stock. The latter he still follows. In 1877 he established the G. W. Jones Exchange Bank of Marcellus, and this bank has ever retained the confidence of the public in the highest degree and is in every respect a model financial institution. Mr. Jones is now the owner of over seven hundred acres of land, most of which is in a line state of cultivation, besides considerable valuable village property.
Four children have been born to this union: Frank S., who is engaged in the lumber business; Carroll S., Cashier of the bank, married to Miss Bessie, daughter of Andrew F. Caul, a prominent farmer and Supervisor of the township; Henry Bert, now in his father's bank; and Vera May, who is attending the school at Marcellus. Politically, Mr. Jones is a Democrat. He is a strong temperance man and lakes a great deal of interest in that movement. He built the large, handsome residence where he now lives in 1886, at an expense of about #5,000, which has a hot-air furnace, and hot and cold water in every part of the house. To make it still more pleasant and cheerful, there are three grates, and as it is furnished with taste and good judgment, no pleasenter home can be found in the county. In 1890 he built the large stone-front bank building which he now owns. It is supplied with hot and cold water, is finished in hard wood, and is one of the finest, for the size of the town, of any in the State. [Portrait & Biographical Cass and Berrien Co MI 1893]
William L. Jones
A native of the township in which he now resides (Penn), and a son of a family whose history was identified with the State in earlier days, is one of the wide-awake, enterprising tillers of the soil and one whose energy and industry have had much to do with his success thus far. Mr. .Jones first saw the light of day August 9, 1859, and was the only living child born to the union of William and Maria (Parrish) Jones.
William Jones, Sr., is a native of Ohio, born in Preble County in 1813, and like most of the native-born residents of that State, he has ever been thrifty and progressive. Although past the allotted age of man, this much-esteemed and worthy citizen still survives and is in the enjoyment of comparatively good health. He finds a comfortable and pleasant home with his son, our subject, and is now passing the sunset of his life in peace and plenty. He was the son of Charles Jones and the grandson of George Jones, both of whom were originally from the State of Georgia. George Jones, the great-grandfather of our subject, remained in his native State until after his marriage and until after the birth of one of his children, when the rich and productive soil of the Buckeye State tempted him Westward. This was at a very early period and the little family made the journey on horseback, reaching Preble County in safety after many adventures and exciting incidents, he erected a gristmill in that county and for many years carried on a nourishing and paying business. Being one of the early settlers of that county, he understood thoroughly all the privations and disadvantages of pioneer life.
His son, Charles, was reared to mature years in Preble County, but instead of milling he preferred the independent life of a farmer and followed that occupation all his life. About November, 1829, he emigrated to Cass County, Mich., and there continued his former occupation of tilling the soil. He was one of the first settlers of that county and there passed the remainder of his days, dying in 1801, when seventy-one years of age. The mother of our subject was born in the Empire State, but died in Cass County, Mich., May 7, 1885.
The boyhood and youth of our subject were passed in his native county and he was early initiated into the duties of farm life. The fundamental principles of education were instilled into his young mind in the common schools, also in the schools at Richmond, Ind., and in Bryant & Stratton's Business College of Chicago. It was no doubt owing to his early training that, when starting out to tight his own way in life, he selected agricultural pursuits as his chosen calling and has followed this ever since.
In 1885 our subject was married to Miss Estella Barney, a native of La Porte County, Ind., and the daughter of Emory A. and Harriet (Collins) Barney, the former born in Van Buren County, N. Y. Both Mr. and Mrs. Barney died at an early age. To our subject and his wife have been born six children: Nellie E., Charles V., George B., Kittie L., Gertrude M. and Frank B. Mr. Jones has held the office of Township Treasurer and has held other local positions. Politically, he inclines to the platform of the Democratic party and his first Presidential vote was cast for Hancock. His father's first vote was cast for Van Buren. Of late years Mr. Jones has affiliated with the Prohibition party. He has a tine farm of four hundred acres, located three and a-half miles east of the county seat, and is one of the substantial men of the county. [Portrait & Biographical Cass and Berrien Co MI 1893 ]
DANIEL LYBROOK, the subject of this sketches an old resident of Deer Creek Township. He is a native of Union County, this State, where he was born on October 29, 1824, the son of John and Frances (Toney) Lybrook, both natives of Virginia, the former of German descent, whose great-grandfather immigrated from Germany to Virginia in colonial days, and was killed by the Indians. Daniel, our subject, was reared on his father's farm in Union County, and obtained an education in keeping with the facilities of those days. He remained at home until he was twenty-two years of age, when he began life on his own responsibility by engaging in farming in Preble County, Ohio. March 4, 1847, Magdalene Binehart, daughter of David and Magdalene (Fellers) Binehart, became his wife. Mrs. Lybrook was born December 12, 1827, in Preble County, Ohio. Her parents were of German descent and natives of Virginia, and their marriage occurred October 14, 1813. They commenced life together in Preble County, Ohio, and continued to reside there until 1853, when they immigrated to this county and leased eighteen acres of ground in the southwest corner of Washington Township. Here he remained over three years, when he removed to the tract of land which he now resides upon, in Section 6, Deer Creek Township. Here he purchased 120 acres of land, all heavily timbered. Mr. and Mrs. Lybrook had born to them eight children, namely: David A., born January 13, 1848; William E., February 16, 1850; Jacob H, June 5, 1852, died June 26, 1863; Mary F., October 5, 1855; Vallorus F., November 30, 1858; Charles E.. August 27, 1863; Harvey D., January 4, 1866; Sarah O., November 22, 1868, died March 6, 1870. Two of the children are married: David A. and Wm. E. Politically Mr. Lybrook is a Democrat. ["History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present" ... By Brant & Fuller, Chicago. Sub. by Barb Ziegenmeyer]
A native of Preble County Ohio, his birth occurring November 30, 1825. His parents were Virginians, the father from Botetourt and the mother from Greenbriar. When our subject was twelve years old he removed to Indiana, where he lived until 1884 when he came to Blount County Tenn. From 1851 to 1855. he served as prosecuting attorney of the circuit court, and in 1850 and 1857 was a member of the Indiana legislature. In 1862, he entered the Union service as major, and for meritorious conduct, was promoted to lieutenant-colonel and colonel by Gov. O. P. Morton of Indiana, and to brevet brigadier-general, by President Andrew Johnson. From 1871 to 1875 he was a member of the State Senate of Indiana, and for twelve years has been engaged in journalism, first with the Manchester (Indiana) Journal, and second with the Greencastle (Indiana) Times and lastly, in June 1884, he established the Maryville Times, of which he is yet owner and manager. For twenty-five years he has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1852 he was united in marriage with Miss Ann H. Chaffee, whose father came from Connecticut, and mother from New York. She has presented her husband with seven children - six boys and one girl. Two sons are the proprietors of a daily paper in Kansas City; one is a minister in Missouri, and has been stationed two years in Kansas City, and four years in St. Louis; one is a professor of modern languages in the De Pauw (Ind.) University, and one is city editor of the Maryville Times. Three yet reside with their parents. Mrs. Neff has long been connected with a number of benevolent institutions, such as the Women's Christian Temperance Union. [Women's Foreign Missions, etc., Goodspeed's History of TN; 1887]
William I. Nixon
William I Nixon has been a resident of Randolph County (Illinois) since 1844. He is the son of Robert Nixon, a native of Ireland, and of his wife Sarah, whose maiden name was Wilson. He was born on the third of April, 1813, on the spot where now stands Walnut Hill College within the limits of the present city of Cincinnati.
Mr. Nixon's grandfather, James Nixon, was a sailor, who had traveled the world over. In the Irish Rebellion he was unwilling to join either side, and some time about 1795 emigrated to the United States, with which country he had become acquainted in his voyages. Settling first at Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, he afterward removed to Washington County, of the same State, where Robert Nixon married Sarah Wilson. Directly after his marriage, about the year 1808, Robert Nixon moved to Hamilton County, Ohio, and located in the suburbs of the city of Cincinnati, then a small settlement. Here William I. Nixon, as has been stated, was born.
When five of six years old his father removed to Preble County, Ohio, where William was brought up. He worked on his father's farm till thirty-one years of age. At this time, in 1844, Mr. Nixon removed to Randolph County, where an older brother had located five years before. He settled on the place where he now lives, entering the first year eighty acres of land at the government price. The year after his coming to Illinois, he married Lucretia Stipe, who had been born and raised in Virginia, and who had come to Randolph County within a few months of Mr. Nixon. Mr. and Mrs. Nixon have had ten children, of whom four daughters are married. During his long residence in the County, Mr. Nixon has been favorably known as an industrious and good citizen. ["An illustrated historical atlas map of Randolph County, Ills. : carefully compiled from personal examinations and surveys". (1875) - Sub. by Jeana Gallagher]
Overholser, Abraham settled here in 1815 coming from VA, where he was born in 1805. He lived in Gasper until he died in 1877. He married Lydia Brower, who was born in 1813. Their children are: Sarah wd of George Runbyon, Barbara w/o Robert Harris, Lovina wd of John W Blair (living with her mother), John H married Mary A Bennett d/o Elijah & Lucinda. John H & Mary had 3 children, 1 deceased. [Sub. by Jeana Gallagher]
The name at the head of this sketch is that of a successful farmer whose residence in this State extends over more than forty years, during which time he has seen as great changes in commercial life and the manner of living in all classes of society, as when we were children, we read in Arabian Nights, were accomplished by Aladdin's lamp. In his boyhood days, electricity was a divine agent to be handled gingerly by the scientist. Today it is the servant that drags our cars, lights our houses, supplies our heat, washes our clothes, and does a thousand and one other things, that, had they been so accomplished a half century ago, would have been considered the work of the Angel of Darkness.
Our subject who was born in Preble County, Ohio, November 20, 1825. He is a son of Samuel and Mary (Leathers) Potter, natives of Virginia and Ohio, respectively. Our subject's residence in Shelby County dates from 1850. His home is located on section 9, of Rural Township. The father of our subject was born in Virginia and when a small boy he removed to Ohio with his parents, that was in the year 1808 and they then settled in Preble County. At that time settlers were very few, and they experienced all the hardships of pioneer life. They cleared a farm in the forests, and gradually put upon it many improvements. The grandparents of our subject there died, and his father was there married, he also, clearing a farm in the timber region upon which he resided until his death.
William Potter is one of eight children who were born to his parents. Six only, however, lived to be grown, William, our subject being the eldest. He was reared on the home farm and attended such school as the country afforded. He resided there until 1850, when he came to Illinois and purchased one hundred and forty-seven acres of land which was then in a raw state, being unturned prairie. This he improved and sold and then purchased his present farm, which was at that time also new and uncultivated. He owns two hundred and ten acres of land, all of which is under cultivation. His place boasts a good class of buildings, his residence being such as to add to the comfort and content of domestic life.
Mr. Potter has been twice married. In 1848 he was united to Sarah Kimmel, who was born in Preble County, Ohio. She was a daughter of Jacob Kimmel, but died in Shelby County soon after coming to this State, leaving to her husband one son, Emanuel, who lives in Rural Township. In 1859, our subject married Mrs. Sarah Lanham, nee Barrett. She was a daughter of Marcus L. Barrett and was born in West Virginia. By her marriage with Mr. Lanham, she became the mother of one child, Augustus F. who resides in Rural Township.
Six little ones have gathered about the table and filled the house with their merry prattle. These are growing up and promise to be men and women of whom their parents will be proud. Their names are Marcus L., Elsie, May, Adalia, Emma and Elmer. Politically our subject is a Republican. In their church relations they are connected with the Presbyterian denomination, of which body Mr. Potter is a Deacon of the church that he attends. It is not out of place here to give a short sketch of our subject's parents and grandparents, additional to the mere mention made above. Jasper Potter, his grandfather, was one of a large family and was left an orphan at an early age. They were bound over to different families and in this way became scattered. Jasper was a soldier in the Revolutionary War, and witnessed the surrender of Cornwallis and the troops at Yorktown. He attained seventy-two years of age, and died in Preble County, Ohio. His native state was Maryland. Twice married, by his first marriage he was the father of thirteen children, all of whom grew to manhood and womanhood and reared families of their own. By his second marriage, three children were born.
Our subject's parents had nine children, of whom seven lived to be grown: William, Minerva, Barbara, Elizabeth, Emanuel, Jane and Zion. Minerva is now Mrs. Simpson. Barbara was the wife of Dr. Robert Toby, and is now deceased. Elizabeth, is the wife of Thaddeus Sibbitt. Jane, who is also deceased, was the wife of Thomas Bunch. Zion married Peter Kimmell.[Source: "Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties, Illinois..."; Chicago Biographical Publishing Co., 1891; tr. by G.T. Transcription Team]
Samuel C. Richie
To obtain worthy citizenship is no light and unimportant aim in life. It is no easy task to resist the many temptations of youth and early manhood and to establish a character in the minds and hearts of one's associates that will remain unstained for all time. One may take his place in public life through some vigorous stroke of public policy, and even retain the affections of his friends and neighbors, but to obtain this position by honorable and wholesome living, without craving for exultation or selfish objects, is worthy of the highest praise and commendation. A man who has gained the respect of his associates and who will retain, as long as he lives and even after he is gone, the admiration of his fellow citizens, is Samuel C. Richie, the president of the Farmers' Banking Company, of New Paris, Ohio. Mr. Richie is a man who has discharged his public and private duties in the spirit of utmost candor and concern for the common welfare. He always has been willing to assist in public movements and most certainly deserves the esteem which he holds in the hearts of the people of Preble county, whom he has served in other capacities than that of a banker. He is a former commissioner of this county and made a splendid record in that office. Samuel C. Richie was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, September 20, 1856, the son of Samuel S. and Anna (Shoemaker) Richie. Samuel S. Richie was born in Belmont county, Ohio, the son of Robert Richie, a native of Philadelphia. Anna Shoemaker was born and reared near Philadelphia. She was married to Samuel S. Richie, near Philadelphia, and in May, 1858, they came to Preble county, Ohio, locating one mile north of New Paris, where they spent the remainder of their lives, she dying in 1886 and he in 1888. They were quiet, unassuming people and prominent in the community where they lived. Samuel S. Richie was a member of the Masonic fraternity and he and his wife were members of the Friends church. They were the parents of nine children, five of whom are living: John S. of Marion county, Oregon; Sarah, who is unmarried; Grace L., also unmarried; Anna M., the wife of A. H. Coffman, of Denison, Texas, and Samuel C., the subject of this sketch. Samuel C. Richie was a little more than one year old when he was brought to Preble county with his parents. He was reared on a farm, educated in the public schools of Jefferson township, and, in October, 1880, was married to Mary Hinkley, a native o£ Zanesville, Ohio, but who was educated in the public schools of New Paris. Mr. and Mrs. Richie have one son, Frank E., born in 1888, who was graduated from the New Paris high school, and is now living in Dayton, Ohio. The Farmers Banking Company, of which Mr. Richie is president, was organized in 1906, Mr. Richie being one of its organizers. The original officers of this bank were Samuel C. Richie, president; W. R. Hageman, vice-president; E. C. Meksell, cashier. The board of directors included Ella L. Bloom, W. R. Hageman, E. A. Murray, William Max and Samuel C. Richie. The capital stock is ten thousand dollars. This company maintains a modern bank at New Madison, Ohio, with the same officers, except cashier, John D. King filling that position in the New Madison bank. Its capital is fifteen thousand dollars. Mr. Richie also is a director in the New Paris Building and Loan Association. Mr. Richie is a Republican and has been throughout his life more or less active in township politics. He has held many minor offices and also served six years as commissioner of Preble county, Ohio, a position which he filled with credit to himself and to the people who elected him. Fraternally, Mr. Richie is a member of the Knights of Pythias and a past chancellor of that lodge. He is also a member of the grand lodge of this fraternity. Mr. and Mrs. Richie are members of the Presbyterian church, and Mr. Richie is the treasurer of the congregation to which he is attached. The reputation of Samuel C. Richie as a financier and public-spirited citizen extends beyond the boundaries of Jefferson township, where he lives. Mr. Richie is well known throughout eastern Ohio and has won and held a host of friends during his honorable and busy life. ["His tory of Preble County, Ohio, her people, industries and institutions : with biographical sketches of representative citizens and genealogical records of old families"; by R.E. Lowry; pub 1915]
Saylor, Christian was born 05 Jun 1785 Fredrick Co, MD. He and brothers, Daniel, Martin & John moved to Franklin Co, VA. In 1806, he, his brothers & widowed mother moved to Preble Co, OH. In 1811, Christian married Mary Teal d/o Samuel also from Franklin Co, VA. They settled in 1814 in Gasper twp sec 36, his son Abraham now lived there. Christian died 05 Jun 1852 age 67. Mary still lives with Abraham and is 91. Mary was born 11 Sep 1789 Frederick Co, MD. Christian and Mary had 9 children, 4 are living: Abraham T, Elizabeth Shewman w/o Jacob, Joseph & Maria Allen w/o John W, all living in Monroe twp. Their son, Abraham, was born 05 Mar 1812 in Lanier twp. He married in 1838 to Elizabeth Rinehard. They had 9 children, 3 are living. [Sub. by Jeana Gallagher]
Benajah Parham Stubbs
The embattled hosts of civilized warfare have abundant horrors of great magnitude to contend with, undoubtedly. The deluge of death which sweeps over their sanguinary fields is bound to endanger all and engulf many; but there is ever present with them the stimulus of numbers, discipline, a comprehensive base of supplies near at hand, and the want of direct personal responsibility. On the other hand, in the contests of a few bold and hardy pioneers with infuriated savages on the American frontier, and even in the more extensive wars with the Indians, wherein well disciplined and properly accoutred troops take the field, the men in danger are remote from civilization and have no means of sustaining their conflict but such as they have gathered by their own sporadic and unsystematic efforts under great privations and difficulties. In most of these every man is obliged to act largely for himself, taking his individual life in his hands against great odds and a wily foe that has the superiority in woodcraft, knowledge of the country, and almost everything else except his munitions of war, and often in these also. Moreover, the fiendish cruelty of the enemy, in and after battle, which is restrained by no considerations of humanity, adds to the strife an element of horror that is wholly wanting to regular war. Happily in our day, such contests with savages fury are almost unknown, and this species of peril has passed into a memory. But some contests with the Indians which have occurred on the soil of Colorado, worthy of all praise for the heroism they exhibited and the important results to the section they wrought out, and some local fights of a few men with hordes of hostile savages, while planting the seeds of our civilization, as types of what many had to undergo in winning an enduring triumph over nature here, should be preserved in story lest they perish from the memory of man. Of such are the one-hundred-days war with the Indians of the Sand creek region, and the other experiences with blood-thirsty aborigines herein narrated, in which the subject of this sketch took an active part. Mr. Stubbs was born on December 7, 1840, at West Elkton, Preble county, Ohio, and is the son of Robert and Delilah Stubbs, natives of that state who moved to Iowa in 1856, and remained there until 1861, when they came overland with ox teams to Denver, this state, making the journey by the Platte river route, being fifty-six days on the way. They located at South Park, and for eighteen months kept a hotel there, then moved to the vicinity of Colorado City, where they took up and improved land, remaining from 1863 to 1876. In the year last named they changed their residence to the Gunnison valley, and after passing a year there ranching and raising stock, moved to what is now Saguache county, where they passed the rest of their lives, the father dying on July 21, 1893, and the mother on June 10, 1900. At their last home they carried on an extensive and profitable dairy business. The father was prominent in the public life of the various counties in which he lived, serving a number of years as county commissioner in El Paso county, elected as a Republican. Four of their children survive them, Lindley M., Joseph A., Mrs. Flora E. Tevis and Benajah P. Being among the early pioneers of the state and first residents of the Gunnison valley, they were familiar with all the phases of frontier life in its earliest stage, and had many thrilling experiences. While they were living in the South Park the family was molested on one occasion by hostile Arapahoes and Cheyennes, as related by B.P. Stubbs, who was an eye witness of the occurrence. Peter Shook, a former neighbor of the family in Iowa, who had come west and encamped near their cabin, was preparing his breakfast, and cut off a slice of ham for the purpose, put the rest back in his wagon. Soon afterward a stalwart Indian climbed into the wagon and took the ham. Mr. Shook recovered it from him, and by way of rebuke for his audacity, struck the Indian in the face with his fist. The latter left at once with mutterings of revenge, and the inmates of the house, anticipating trouble, hastily secured what they could of their belongings and fastened up their cabin, hiding Mr. Shook under one of their beds upstairs. Within a few minutes a hundred or more Indians surrounded the house and demanded that the man who has struck their brother be delivered up to them. On being refused, they broke all the lower windows, and shot arrows through the upper ones, some of which stuck in the ceiling. They then poured into the house and repeated their demand; and on again being refused, went into every part of it, the inmates on account of their small numbers being able to make but a feeble resistance. Finding the man they were in search of, they dragged him out of doors, being him over the head, breaking several of his ribs with a wagon felloe, and otherwise treating him with great cruelty. During the melee an Indian thrust a revolver into Mr. Stubb's face, threatening death, but did not shoot, as there seemed to be no hostility toward the family. At a later date there was another raid on the family in which some of the live stock was killed, all the dairy supplies on hand were consumed or destroyed, and a number of articles useful to the family and which they could not replace, but which were of no use to the thieves, were carried off. In the fall of 1862 Mr. Stubbs and his father filed on homesteads, and in the following spring sowed grain on their land. About harvest time a messenger was sent out from Colorado City to warn the settlers of an Indian uprising and request them to come to the city for protection. The women and children, and such necessary articles as could be quickly collected and conveniently taken with them, were placed in a wagon and taken to the fort, where they were left while the men harvested their crops as best they could. Wheat and oats were selling at twelve and one-half to fifteen cents a pound at the time, and they could not afford to let the crops go to waste, notwithstanding the danger in saving them. In 1864 Mr. Stubbs sold one hundred bushels of wheat at his door for four hundred and fifty dollars, the price being seven and a half cents a pound. During this year an Indian raid resulted in the death of a young man named Everhart and two boys named Robinson who were herding sheep, and a Mr. McEntyre was scalped and left as dead on the field; but he still lived, and enjoyed telling how he took off one of his boots and fought with his assailants. In 1866 all the residents were once more obliged to build a fort for protection, and the men were forced to go back and forth in the midst of constant danger to look after the effects at their homes. In one of these trips a cousin of Mr. Stubbs was killed by the Indians. Mr. Stubbs received a common-school education, limited to a very meager extent by the exigencies of the time, and remained with his parents until he reached the age of twenty-eight, accompanying them in all their wanderings. In 1877 he went overland with horses and a wagon to Nebraska, and until the fall of 1878 was engaged in farming at Vesta, near Tecumseh, that state. He then returned to Saguache county, this state, and there he has since made his home. He has always taken an active part in political affairs as a pronounced Republican, and on several occasions has been chosen to offices of importance and responsibility by his fellow citizens. In 1866 he was elected clerk of El Paso county for a term of two years, and in 1881 was appointed deputy clerk of Saguache county. In the latter position he served ten years and a half, holding an appointment under four different clerks. From the latter part of 1891 to the close of 1894 he freighted between Villagrove and Saguache. On January 25, 1895, he was appointed bookkeeper in the Saguache County Bank, a position which he is still filling acceptably. He is one of the prominent men of the county, universally esteemed for his generosity and public-spirit, an ardent Republican and an influential member of the Woodmen of the World. On February 9, 1869, he was married to Miss Sarah A. Paster, a native of Ohio. They had two children, of whom Minnie Pearl died in infancy and Dallas B. is living. They also have an adopted daughter, Ethel.
The Sand Creek Indian Fight - This memorable struggle for the permanent immunity of southern Colorado from strife with hostile Indians began on September 9th and ended on December 29, 1864, thus lasting one hundred and twelve days. Mr. Stubbs was an active participant in it from the beginning to the end, as a member of Company G, Third Colorado Cavalry. His company was formed at Denver and went into camp four miles below Pueblo, and a few days later marched down the Arkansas river to Fort Lyon, being three days on the march and suffering many hardships therein. The soldiers were obliged to sleep on the snow, and as the emergency was great, all men whom they met on the road were impressed into the service despite its hardships. At nine o'clock one night the force was ordered out to march north and surprise the enemy. After spending the whole night on the march, and being led by their scouts and half-breed Indian guides through a pond, in which the horses floundered and the men suffered intensely from the cold, the Cheyenne Indian village was discovered at a distance of three miles from the camp at sunrise on the morning of November 29th. The men then became wild with excitement and could not be restrained, but rushed upon the Indians, who were still sleeping and unprepared for the attack. The noise awakened them and numbers succeeded in escaping, but five hundred of the nine hundred in the band were killed, with the loss of only one man of Company G, whose fate was due to his own carelessness. The battle lasted until five o'clock in the evening and during its progress two cannon were used by the whites to great advantage. Company G found a high enjoyment in burning the tepees of the Indians after the latter were routed. On the morning of November 30th they marched to the junction of Sand creek with the Arkansas and went into camp; but they were soon ordered out again and after a march at double quick for a distance of ten miles, day dawning, they divided and marched along the Arkansas, one-half of the command on each side of the river, until darkness overtook them, at the Santa Fe crossing into Kansas. At four o'clock next morning the force on the south side of the river crossed over and united with those on the north side. Nearby they found Indians in force and drove them far into the plains. On December 3d the company was ordered home. The experiences of Company G are but a sample of the ardor and exactions of the campaign, as other companies had similar experiences and achieved commensurate results. This war freed southern Colorado from the danger of savage attacks and established lasting security for the settlers. Mr. Stubbs escaped without injury, although his sufferings from cold and exposure were extreme at times.
Dallas B. Stubbs, the son of Benajah P. and Sarah A. (Paster) Stubbs, was born on February 3, 1873, at Colorado City, this state, and was educated in the public schools of Saguache, being graduated from the high school there with the first graduating class of 1890. He has been a resident of that town during the last twenty-seven years, and is now engaged in the real estate, abstract and fire insurance business, which he entered in 1896. Under the able tutorship of E.P. Jones, one of the most efficient abstractors in the state, he helped to compile the abstract books of Saguache county, a work of considerable labor and great value to the people of the county. He was deputy clerk of the county from 1898 to 1904, and in the latter year was the Republican candidate for the county clerkship, but was defeated by a majority of sixteen votes. Fraternally he belongs to the order of Elks and the Woodmen of the World, and in the latter order was clerk of Saguache Camp, No. 28, for two years. On February 3, 1897, he united in marriage with Miss Blanche G. Loucks, a native of Bedford, Iowa. They have two children, their son Paul, born on June 20, 1899, and their daughter Blanche Pearl, born on May 9, 1902. Mr. Stubbs is one of the active and progressive young business men of his county, with an earnest intent in its improvement and the advancement and welfare of its people. He takes an active part in public affairs, and is always ready to promote, by his influence and his material assistance, every commendable enterprise in which the substantial good of the section is involved. He is widely known and well esteemed in all parts of the county. (Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by G.T. Transcription Team)
WICKLIFF TAYLOR is one of the successful merchants of Maitland. He was born in New Paris, Preble County, Ohio, being the son of Dr. J.C. and Nancy Taylor. This father is a native of Fleming County, Kentucky, born in 1819, and his mother of Virginia, born in 1818. Dr. J.C. and Nancy Taylor were married in 1838, after which they settled in Preble County, Ohio, and in 1858 moved to Indiana. Here Mrs. Taylor died, and the doctor was married the second time, and, in 1859, came to Nodaway County, Missouri, and in 1860 to Forest City, Holt County. He was afterwards in the mercantile business at Graham for seven years, and also at Fillmore and Savannah. He sold out at Maryville in 1874, then moved to Topeka, Kansas, where he now resides. Wickliff established a store at Graham, and conducted the business under the firm name of Taylor & Bros., soon after the father's removal to Kansas, and still retains his interest. He is also the junior member of the firm of M.N. Dougherty & Co., who are doing a general merchandise business in this city. Mr. T. was married July 27, 1881, to Miss Belle Turnure, a native of Boone County, Illinois, and a daughter of E.W. and Emily Turnure. Her father, a native of New York, was born in 1827, and died in July, 1880. Her mother was born in 1832, in New York, and is still living. They were married in 1853, after which they settled in Boone County, and in 1863, went to Mitchell County, Iowa, and to Nodaway County, Missouri, in 1865. They located near Bridgewater, and in 1871 went to Maryville, and to Graham in 1877. ["The History Of Holt And Atchison Counties, Missouri : Containing A History Of These Counties, Their Cities, Towns, etc. ...", St. Joseph, Mo.: National Histor ical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Transcription Team]
James THALLS, undertaker, Litchfield, was born in Preble County, Ohio, near Eaton, on June 27, 1825, and lived there until 1852. At the age of Twenty years, he learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed, in connection with farming, in Ohio, and moved to this (Montgomery) county in the fall of 1852, settling on a farm of eighty acres, which now is included in the southwestern part of the city of Litchfield. In 1853, he sold his farm, and until 1860 devoted his attention to his trade, putting up many of the early buildings of this city, among others the Presbyterian Church, and also took several contracts in the county. In 1860, he bought another farm, west of the city, and conducted it, at the same time plying his trade; his farm he owned twenty years. Mr. THALLS has been a contractor here for almost thirty years. In 1882, he engaged in the undertaking business on Barnes street, with Edward GREENE. In 1848, he married Miss Hester D. WHITLOCK, in Eaton, Ohio; she died in 1868, leaving six children, all of whom are now living. In 1870, he married Mrs. Maria SHORE, daughter of Ezra TYLER; he has one son by the last marriage. Mr. THALLS is a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. [Source: "History of Bond and Montgomery Counties, Illinois". Edited by W. H. Perrin, 1882]
Charles B. Unger
Eaton has several successful newspapers, among which is the Eaton Herald, an independent newspaper published by Charles B. Unger.
Charles B. Unger was born in Eaton, Ohio, November 12, 1868, the son of John and Ollitippa (Larsh) Unger, natives of Preble county, who were the parents of two children, the other child, a daughter, being Jessie, who is the wife of Frank A. Wisehart, of Middletown, Indiana.
John Unger was reared in Preble county and was engaged in the drug and hardware business in Eaton during the Civil War. He was later engaged in the drug business in West Alexandria, Ohio. He then came back to Eaton and for a time operated a tin store and was later in the insurance business. About 1889 he moved to Middletown, Indiana, and engaged in the lumber business. In 1902 he returned to Eaton and looked after the business management of the Eaton Herald. He suffered a stroke of paralysis in 1910 and now resides with his daughter in Middletown, Indiana. His wife died March 21, 1910, at the age of sixty-three. She was a devoted member of the Universalist church. Mr. Unger was a member of the Eaton school board for a number of years.
The paternal grandparents of Charles B. Unger were George B. Unger and wife, natives of Pennsylvania and Preble county, respectively. George B. Unger was a tailor, and lived to be eighty-six years old. His wife died while a young woman. John Unger was the only child born to that marriage who grew to maturity. George B. formerly had been married and had a son, Aaron A., by his first marriage.
The maternal grandparents of Charles B. Unger were Thomas Jefferson and Margaret (Manning) Larsh, natives of Ohio. Thomas Larsh was a lawyer, and served as county surveyor for nineteen years, also county auditor for two terms and deputy county auditor for several terms. He also was clerk in the state treasurers office for one term. He lived to be seventy-two years of age while his wife died in middle age. They had three children, Bluejacket, who died in Andersonville prison during the Civil War; Ollitippa and Margaret.
Charles B. Unger was reared in Preble county, Ohio, attended the public schools of West Alexandria and was graduated from the Eaton high school in 1886. He then took a business course in Nelson's Business College at Cincinnati, and was with the James Wilde Clothing Company for a short time, after which he worked at the printer's trade in Cincinnati. He then moved to Middletown, Indiana, and in 1892 came to Eaton and worked at his trade in the Register office one year. Following this he went back to Middletown, Indiana, and, in 1894, bought an interest in the Middletown News. In January, 1902, he bought the Eaton Herald, of which he has been editor and publisher since that time. This paper was established in 1888 and is independent in politics. Mr. Unger also does general job printing.
Charles B. Unger was married February 2, 1893, to Adda Nixon, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Cephas Nixon. One son, Nixon Larsh, was born to Mr. and Mrs. Unger, the latter of whom died in 1895, at the age of twenty-seven years. She was a member of the Church of Christ at Middletown, Indiana.
Politically, Mr. Unger is a Republican. He is a member of Bolivar Lodge No. 82, Free and Accepted Masons; Eaton Chapter No. 22, Royal Arch Masons; Reese Council No. 9, Royal and Select Masters, of Dayton, Ohio, and Reed Commandery No. 6, of Dayton, Ohio. He also is a member of Waverly Lodge No. 143, Knights of Pythias. ["History of Preble County, Ohio: Her People, Industries and Institutions" (1915) by Robert Eaton Lowry, pages 433-435; MZ - submitted by FoFG]
Wilkinson, Charles & Elizabeth had 11 children in which six are living. Redmon E, Alice E w/o Jacob H Shideler, Catharine Eleanor, Ida B, Minnie M and Curtis H born 1827. Curtis married in 1852 to Sarah Jane Wysong d/o Christopher & Catharine. [Sub. by Jeana Gallagher]
John K. Wright
The agricultural interests of Township 5-7 are largely represented by John K. Wright, a resident of the County (Randolph County, IL) since 1843. Mr. Wright settled in the locality where he now lives when that section of country was comparatively undeveloped. He has taken a leading part in the improvements of the neighborhood, and from a young man beginning life without capital of any kind, and fighting his way by hard knocks, he has become a well-to-do farmer, and an enterprising citizen. Mr. Wright was born in the State of Virginia. His ancestry is partly Irish and partly German. One of his great-grandfathers was born in Germany, and another in Ireland. His parents inhabited a region of country in the south-west part of Virginia, now embraced in Wythe and Grayson Counties. His father was Stephen Wright, who was born in Virginia, and there married Margaret Kelley. There were twelve children in the family, and John K. was the oldest, with the exception of one child who died before his birth.John K. Wright was born on the twenty-second of July, 1824. He lived in Virginia until he was ten or eleven years old. That part of the State was rugged and mountainous, the land was all taken up, and difficult to be obtained by a man of small means, and in addition, was poorly adapted to farming. That part of the Old Dominion has furnished a considerable number of emigrants to Illinois who have settled in various parts of the State, and become large farmers, and valuable citizens. Stephen Wright also made up his mind to move with his family to a new country where more promising advantages might be found. At this time John K. had gone to school some little in Virginia, but had acquired no knowledge of any importance. The family came first to Preble County, Ohio, and lived there till the year 1843. It was in this locality that the principal part of Mr. Wright's education was received. The family was poor, John K. was the oldest son, and he was consequently obliged to stay at home and help his father on the farm, and thus missed a good part of his education. The family were not able to buy land in Ohio, and lived there on a rented farm. - September, 1 843, the Wrights left Ohio for Illinois. After about six weeks' journey, they landed in Randolph County on the fifteenth of October of that year, and halted at a spot three miles south of where Mr. Wright now lives. Some six or seven years previous, Stephen Wright had entered land in Township 5-7, and the family moved on that. John K. Wright was a young man in his twentieth year when he came to Randolph County. Whatever else might be lacking, he had been brought up to hard work and industrious habits. He was without money or cash capital of any kind, but he was naturally endowed with energy, and possessed a physical constitution capable of undergoing any amount of labor. He embraced every means of bettering his condition. He rented land, raised wheat, tramped it out on the floor, invested his money (whenever he could get hold of any) in stock, and thus made his start in the world. October the twelfth, 1848, he was married to Lucinda Boyd, who was born in Randolph County. - At the time he was married, Mr. Wright owned no land, but the same year his savings amounted to enough to buy and enter one hundred and twenty acres, which forms part of the property which he now owns. In 1849 he moved on the place where he now lives, on the Chester and Preston road, in the lower part of Township 5-7. After he had once made a beginning, Mr. Wright purchased additional land, and put himself in better shape to carry on farming. He gave his attention to outside business, followed trading and teaming, and was willing to turn his had to anything by which he could manage to better his circumstances. His efforts have been successful, and Mr. Wright is now one of the most extensive farmers in the part of the County. He owns five hundred and eighty acres of land in Randolph County, all embraced in the township in which he lives, 5-7, and two hundred acres beside in Perry County. He is a careful and thrifty agriculturist. His buildings are in good condition, his land well fenced, and his farms a picture of neatness and good order. On another page of this book appears a lithographic illustration of his homestead farm, in Sections twenty-six and twenty-seven, Township 5-70. Mr. Wright has reached his present place by his own hard-earned labor. He has been a man of stout and vigorous constitution, his health through life has been good, and for hard work no one in the County could surpass John K. Wright. Of the eleven children of Mr. and Mrs. Wright eight are now living. Elizabeth V., the oldest daughter is the wife of Newton Hawthorn. Then follow Margaret Ann, William K., George Washington, James Andrew Jackson, John W., Joseph Luther, and Ida Clementine. Mr. Wright was a Democrat all his life. On the breaking out of the war of the Rebellion, he manifested his Union principles by warmly supporting the government in its efforts to put down treason. Since then he has generally supported the candidates of the Republican party, but maintains an independent position in regard to his views.["An illustrated historical atlas map of Randolph County, Ills. : carefully compiled from personal examinations and surveys" (1875) - Sub. by Jeana Gallagher]
Copyright ©Genealogy Trails