"This Week's Personality" by George N. Constable
Bellville's Eugene Banks recalls he has always been a business man - of sorts - since he was a youngster.
As a kid he delivered newspapers. Later, he picked wild elderberries, horseradish root and sassafras and sold them. He learned early who the buyers were.
His parents, Clarence and Bessie Banks, probably had a lot to do with it too. His father was in the raw fur and wool business and his mother operated a roadside market on Riverside Dr. in Bellville for years.
After high school, young Banks had a job here and a job there. He was a milk route man, spent five years on the assembly line at Westinghouse and went into his first business in 1946.
"I couldn't take factory work so I opened a dairy store-soda grill and cold sandwiches. That was the beginning and I've never sat back and said, 'Boy, I wish I'd have done something else,' " he said.
Twenty-three years ago Banks bought the Scheff Bakery store and ran a luncheon-type restaurant which had 10 stools at the counter. Today, he owns and operates San-Dar Smorgasbord which seats 300 diners and is written up in the Ford Times Cookbook.
"There are only three other restaurants in the entire state of Ohio in that book, and we're quite proud of it. It also lists my wife's recipe for Dutch Apple Dessert and topping," he says.
"But it caught on. We were coming back from Florida, we stopped off at a smorgasbord, and I felt my wife could do the job better. That's where it started for us," he said.
Banks loves the business because it is dealing with new and different people all the time, plus taking care of the old customers.
Louis Bromfield ate there. Last week, Lucy of Lucy's Toy Shop, Columbus TV personality, ate there, and there has been a sprinkling of top newspaper food editor-columnists.
Banks was born 51 years ago on Prospect St. in Mansfield. His wife and partner is Dorothy. They met at Bellville High School. The Banks' children are Mrs. Sandra (Dean) Homerick, and Darrell, a food inspector with the U. S. Army in Germany.
A sports buff, Banks follows the Browns and admires Paul Brown tremendously. He likes golf-when he can get out on the course- and shoots 85 to 95. He used to be an active Republican, the hard core type who is a member of the GOP central committee, but "kind of got away from it."
Banks himself prefers filets or T-bones, medium rare, and lobster tail.
He says most Americans really are a little above the 18-cent hamburger and French fries routine. "They're pretty discerning eaters, and don't seem to mind that our Grenouiles Frites are just plain frog legs. Or our Coquilles Saint-Jacques a la Tartare are ordinary deep-fried scallops."
There is a considerable difference between a gourmet and a gourmand, and people who take more food than they can eat are annoying. The secret to smorgasbord dining is, "Try a little of everything, choose what really pleases you, and then take more."
Favorite foods of patrons? They are scallops, shrimp, sirloin tips and the old standby--chicken.
"We use 600 to 800 pounds of chicken a week, and that's excluding wings and backs." Banks says.
"Scallops? I bought two tons for the season, and that's a lot! [News Journal (Mansfield Ohio) October 17, 1971 - sub by Ida Maack Recu]
Dr. John Barnes
DR. JOHN BARNES, of Macy, was born in Harrison County, Va., August 29, 1815. He was the third son born to William and Elizabeth (Hull) Barnes, natives of Pennsylvania and New Jersey, respectively; the former of German and the latter of English descent. When our subject was eleven years old his parents came to Ohio and located in Richland County, where his youth was spent working upon his father's farm. At the age of twenty-two he began the study of medicine with Dr. J. C. Howard, of Mansfield, Ohio. After three years of preparation he entered upon the practice of medicine with Dr. John Palmer, of Leesville, Ohio. In 1845 he came to this State and located near Somerset, Wabash County, where he continued to practice his profession. He came to this county and located at Santa Fe in 1847. In the spring of 1865 he removed to Gilead, this county, and in November, 1879, he located at Macy, September 25, 1844, he was married to Nancy Bebout, a native of Richland County, Ohio, born December 29, 1823. She was the daughter of Peter and Nancy (Kelly) Bebout, both natives of Pennsylvania, the former of French and the latter of Irish descent. Mr. and Mrs. Barnes are the parents of seven children. Their names are Abrani, Elizabeth, Sarah, Nathaniel, Martha A., Mary E. and Arthur W. Of these Sarah, Nathaniel and Mary E. are deceased—the first two in infancy and the last at the age of nineteen. Dr. and Mrs. Barnes are members of the M. E. church. In politics, Mr. Barnes is a Republican. He is now comfortably located in Macy, where he and his wife are spending their old days in a pleasant, happy way. He has been in the practice of medicine over forty years, and as such he has been very successful. His success is evidenced by the fact that while a resident of Wabash County he was in active practice three years without losing a single case. He has now resided in Miami County nearly forty years, and is one of its most highly respected citizens. ["History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present ..." By Brant & Fuller, Chicago - BZ - Sub by FoFG]
Robert P. Briggs
ROBERT P. BRIGGS, a prominent citizen of Allen Township, is a native of Richland County, Ohio, and was born May 25, 1835. He was the second son born to Robert Briggs, a native of England, who emigrated to America in 1833 and located in Richland County, Ohio. When our subject was two years old his parents removed to Hardin County, Ohio, where his early life was spent upon a farm. In the spring of 1857 he went to Missouri, where he was engaged in agricultural pursuits until the fall of 1861, at which time he returned eastward to this county and located in Butler Township; He removed to Allen township and settled where he now resides in the fall of 1865. He entered Company D, 99th Ind. Vols., in August, 1862, with which he served in a manner becoming a loyal soldier until the close of the war. He participated in the battles of Jackson, Mission Ridge, Resaca, Kennesaw, the siege of Atlanta and the battle of Fort McAllister, Ga. At the siege of Atlanta he was struck by a spent ball just over the heart. Oct. 21, 1855, he was married to Mary J. Elder, a native of Hancock County, Ohio, born June 14, 1837. She was the daughter of Jeremiah and Adelia (Miller) Elder, both natives of Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Briggs have had nine children: Adelia C., Ruth A., Uala M., James M., Susan A:, Albert M., Avice I., Jennie L. and Elizabeth L., all of whom are living except Susan A., who died in the ninth year of her age. Mr. and Mrs. Briggs are members of the Christian Church. In politics, the former is a Republican. Our subject and his wife are the owners of one hundred and sixty acres of land, one hundred and thirty of which is in cultivation. He is an industrious and successful farmer and a worthy and honored citizen. ["History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present ..." By Brant & Fuller, Chicago - BZ - Sub by FoFG]
Edwin C Burnett
BURNETT, Edwin Clark, physician; born, Mansfield, O., Jan. 19, 1854; son of Dwight and Mary Ann (Bristow) Burnett; educated in public schools and by private tutors at Olney, ILL.; graduated from St. Louis Medical College, 1883; unmarried. Began practice of medicine at Olney, ILL., March, 1883; moved to St. Louis, June 14, 1884, and has since practiced in this city. Formerly clinical professor genitourinary diseases, Medical Department of Washington University. Member St. Louis Academy of Science, St. Louis Medical Society, Missouri State Medical Association, American Association of Genito-Urinary Surgeons (ex-president). Republican. Clubs: University, Racquet. Recreation: field sports. Office: 547 Century Bldg. Residence: University Club. [Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater]
Thomas B. Edgington
EDGINGTON, Thomas Benton, lawyer; born Ontario, Ohio, April 23, 1839; son Jesse and Hannah (Mitchell) Edgington; English descent; educated public schools Richland County, O.; Baldwin University, graduate Wesleyan University, 1859; A.B., A.M., 1862; LL.D. 1905; admitted to bar April 12, 1861; married Catherine Vose Baxter in 1865; mustered into Union Army as First Sergeant Company A, 12th Infantry, October 17, 1861; participated in siege of Ft. Henry, battles of Ft. Donelson and Shiloh; commanded company in latter battle; was wounded and taken prisoner; remained prisoner seven months; First Lieutenant April 9, 1862 to April 4, 1863; resigned on account of ill health; aided in organizing Union military forces in West Tennessee and became Major of Fourth Regiment in 1863; he is now senior member law firm of Edgington & Edgington, Memphis, Tenn. [Source: "Who’s Who in Tennessee", Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; tr. by K. Mohler]
Conrad Flockerzi, serving as a member of the board of public service at Mansfield, is a native of Bavaria, Germany, his birth having there occurred on the 23d of November, 1861, of the marriage of George and Anna Elizabeth (Ebert) Flockerzi. On his emigration to America in February, 1872, the father located at Mansfield, where in 1882 he engaged in the butchering business, continuing successfully in that line of activity until his death in 1889. The mother of our subject, however, still survives.
Conrad Flockerzi is the eldest in a family of seven children, of whom four are living and are residents of Mansfield. He attended the public school at Neustadt, his native town, till eleven years of age, when he accompanied his parents on their removal to the new world and completed his education in the public schools of Mansfield until he had attained the age of thirteen. He then entered upon an apprenticeship to the butchering business with Hein Brothers, remaining in that employ for three years, after which he worked in various other markets until 1882. Ambitious to engage in business on his own account, he then established a meat market at No. 200 North Main street and for a period of twenty-four years, or until October, 1903, he was thus successfully connected with the mercantile interests of this city, gaining a large degree of prosperity by reason of his reliable business methods and straight-forward dealing. He is also interested to a considerable extent in MansfieId real estate and is the owner of a commodious and attractive home at No. 281 West Fourth street.
On the 16th of February, 1888, at Mansfield, Ohio, Mr. Flockerzi was united in marriage to Miss Sophia, a daughter of George Reddig, a tailor of this city.
In his political views he has always been a stanch democrat and active in local politics. For two terms of two years each, beginning in 1897, he served as councilman from the third ward and also had the honor of being the presiding officer of that body. From 1902 until 1904 he was councilman at large, was elected vice president of the council during this term and, owing to the death of the president, acted as chief executive officer the greater part of the time. In November, 1907, he was elected a member of the board of public service, taking his seat on the 1st of January, 1908. At various times he has also served as a member of the board of equalization and the confidence reposed in him by his fellow townsmen is well merited, for his entire public service has been characterized by the faithful and capable discharge of every duty devolving upon him.
Mr. Flockerzi is identified through membership relations with the Foresters, the German Pioneer Society and the Arion Singing Society, being an honorary member of the last named. He also belongs to St. Matthews Lutheran church and is a member of its council. Richland county has been and is signally favored in the class of men who have, controlled its affairs in official capacity, and in this connection the subject of this review demands representation as one who has served the county faithfully and well in positions of distinct trust and responsibility. For more than a third of a century he has been a resident of Mansfield and his genial, social manner and deference for the opinions of others has gained him a wide circle of friends and won him the esteem and regard of all with whom he has come in contact. ["History of Richland County, Ohio from 1808 to 1908" By Abraham J. Baughman, Clarke, S. J., Publishing Company -VH - Sub by FoFG]
This pioneer was born in Adams Co., Penn., in August, 1801; he is of Pennsylvania-German parentage, and still retains their characteristics; was bound out to learn the weaving trade at 16 years of age; worked at that for some years; his parents died when he was young, and he was therefore thrown out upon the world early in life, which perhaps gave him much of that energy which he displayed in late years, as he has been one of the successful farmers. He emigrated to Ohio in 1828, and remained one year in Stark Co.; he then came to Richland Co., and entered an 80-acre tract of land in Sec. 27; built his first cabin about twenty rods west of his present house, in which he lived some eight or ten years, and then built the present dwelling; like most of the early settlers, he was poor, and was compelled to clear his land by his own industry; he was more fortunate, however, than some of his neighbors who came some years after, as he brought a wagon with him, one of the first in the neighborhood; was called upon frequently to loan his wagon to his less favored neighbors; he frequently would, when called upon, take his own team and go to market, not charging a cent for his services. Some years since, his son prevailed upon him to make his home with him, where he could be better taken care of; he remained several years, but the love of his old home still clung strongly to him, and he returned to his favorite spot which he first selected as his abode. He has a retentive memory, and has the full use of his mental faculties; is pleasant in his manner, and has the esteem of the community. He was married to Miss Catharine Stallsmith, of Adams Co., Penn., March 1, 1827 ; they had one child. [pg. 791, "History of Richland County, Ohio..." pub. 1880 by A. A. Graham & Company, Mansfield, OH. - KT - Sub by FOFG]
John F. Hartman
HARTMAN, JOHN F., farmer; P. O. Shelly; he is the only child of George and Catharine Hartman; he was born March 8, 1830, in Richland Co.; he spent his youth on the old homestead ; he is one of the successful and solid men of the township ; he is an excellent farmer (his farm contains 484 acres); he is well in-formed upon the general topics of the day, and takes an interest in the affairs of the township and county, and is an influential citizen. Politically, he is a Democrat. He was married to Miss Louisa Kuhn in March, 1803; they have six children, three sons and three daughters: after he was married, he lived for some years on the old homestead ; he then moved to where he now resides, about 1860; he lived some years in the old house, and, in 1870, he built his beautiful and comfortable brick dwelling, which is perhaps the largest brick dwelling in the township. [pg. 791, History of Richland County, Ohio... pub. 1880 by A. A. Graham & Company, Mansfield, OH. - KT - Sub by FOFG]
Charles Hedges Keating
One of the members of the Richland County bar is Charles H. Keating, who is vice president of the Lumberman's Mutual Insurance Company, of Mansfield. He was born in this city, July 23, 1870, the son of Thomas B. and Sarah Jane (Hedges) Keating.
Thomas B. Keating was born in Columbia County, Pa. He came to Mansfield as contractor in charge of building of the city water works, and after the completion of that project, was awarded numerous other important city contracts. Mr. Keating is deceased. His wife died in 1883. Sarah Jane (Hedges) Keating was the daughter of Ellsey Hedges, who was a prominent business man and influential citizen of Mansfield for many years. She was a sister of Hon. Henry C. Hedges, and a niece of Gen. James Hedges, the founder of Mansfield. Her uncle, Josiah Hedges, was the founder of Tiffin, and the name of Hedges has long been identified with the history of Ohio. Her great-grandfather was Charles Hedges, a resident of Virginia, and the father of nine sons and two daughters, Joseph, Samuel, Hiram, and Otto remained in Virginia; Elijah, removed to Fairfield County, Ohio; John, moved to Muskingum County, Ohio; James and Joseph settled in Belmont County, Ohio, in 1812, the former serving as sheriff and the latter as clerk of courts in that county. Ellsey Hedges, father of Mrs. Keating, served as deputy to both. In 1812 he went on foot to Columbus, Ohio, to carry the presidential election returns from Belmont County, his brother James, having been commissioned a captain in the U. S. Army for service in the War of 1812.
Charles H. Keating was a son of Thomas B. and Sarah Jane (Hedges) Keating.
The education of Charles H. Keating was received in the public schools of Mansfield, from which he graduated in 1889. He attended Amherst College, and read law in offices of Cummings & McBride, being admitted to the Ohio State bar in 1894. He was subsequently admitted to practice in the federal courts. Mr. Keating served as referee in Bankruptcy from 1898 until 1906, and as deputy auditor of the U. S. Post Office at Washington, D. C., from 1906 until 1914. Upon his return to Mansfield in 1914 he served for one year as tax Commissioner of Richland County, and during the World War was secretary of the Richland County Draft Board. Mr. Keating has been identified with the Lumberman's Mutual Insurance Company as their attorney until 1917, and was elected vice president of the company in 1926. He is a director of the Farmers Saving and Trust Company, and president of the Richland Hotel Company.
In 1900 Mr. Keating was united in marriage with Miss Gertrude Simpson, the daughter of John and Millie (Springer) Simpson. Mr. Simpson was born at Mifflin, Ohio, and his wife was born in Ashland County. Both are deceased. Mr. Simpson was widely known as superintendent of schools at Mansfield for 20 years. Mr. and Mrs. Keating have a daughter, Helen Simpson Keating. She is a graduate of Mansfield High School, Abbott Academy, Andover, Mass., and attended Columbia University, and for two years the children's librarian in the Mansfield Public Library. She was married Oct. 8, 1930 to Louis J. Ott of Mansfield.
Mr. Keating is a Republican and in 1912 was assistant director of the speaker's bureau of the Republican National Committee, with headquarters in New York City. He is identified with the Richland County Bar Association, Ohio State Bar Association, and American Bar Association. He holds membership in the First Presbyterian Church, Rotary Club, City Club, Westbrook Country Club, and Delta Epsilon fraternity. He belongs to Mansfield Lodge, No. 35, F. & A. M.; Mansfield Chapter, R. A. M. No. 28; Mansfield Council, R & S. M. M. No. 94; and Mansfield Commandery, K. T. No. 21. [Source: "History of North Central Ohio: Embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne, Medina, Lorain, Huron and Knox Counties", Vol. 1, by William A. Duff, Historical Publishing Co., Topeka-Indianapolis, 1931 - Sub by Ida Maack Recu]
A valuable and well improved farm property, comprising eighty acres, located on section 26, Jackson township, has been the home of Peter Kuhn since 1876, and here he is engaged in general agricultural pursuits, in which he is meeting with success. He is a native son of Richland county, his birth having occurred on a farm in Plymouth township, December 31, 1842. Peter's grandfather, David Kuhn, was born near Wurtemberg,Germany, and emigrated to America in 1754, locating on a farm in Franklin county, Pennsylvania, this tract of land having remained in the Kuhn family to the present time. The father of our subject, Samuel Kuhn, was born on his father's farm in Franklin county, Pennsylvania, October 7, 1807. He was married in the Keystone state to Miss Julia Ann Reymer, who was born April 10, 1812. They were reared and married in the state of Pennsylvania, after which they came to Richland county on the 1st of June, 1833. They established their home on a
farm in Plymouth township, located midway between the villages of Shelby and Plymouth. They made the journey to Richland county by wagon, the party also including his brother John and his family, the brothers having married sisters. The two families made their home on that tract of land for eight years.
They had no plow and drove to Mansfield, a distance of twelve miles, but could secure none and on their return stopped at the home of a farmer, who sold them a plow for twelve dollars. They endured many hardships and privations on account of the unsettled condition of the country and bore their full share in the development and progress that was here carried on.
The maternal grandfather of our subject, Philip Reymer, was born near Wurtemberg, Germany, and was left an orphan at the age of twelve years. He then emigrated to America, his passage being paid upon his arrival by a man in New Jersey, with whom he made his home. He received ill treatment and one day while in the field threshing rye a recruiting officer of the Continental army passed and asked Mr. Reymer to become a member of the army. He was at that time only fifteen years of age, but becoming identified with the Continental army served in the Revolutionary war for seven year. His wife bore the maiden name of Ellen Statler and their family numbered three sons and five daughters. Mr. Reymer died in Franklin county, Pennsylvania.
The family of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Kuhn numbered ten children, as follows: Louisa, the wife of John G. Hartman, of Jackson township; Ellen, the deceased wife of J. V. Huffman, also of this township; Philip, who served in the Civil war as a member of Company I, One Hundred and Twentieth Ohio Volunteer Infantry and is now deceased; Sarah, the wife of Joseph Cairns, of Jackson township; Harriet, who died at the age of two years; Peter, of this review; Elijah, of Shelby; George and Samuel, who died in infancy; and Reymer, who makes his home in Cleveland.
Peter Kuhn, whose name introduces this review, was reared on his father's farm and each year assisted in the plowing, planting and harvesting, remaining under the parental roof until thirty-three years of age. At the time of the inauguration of the Civil war he enlisted on the 22d of August, 1862, as a member of Company B, One Hundred and Twenty-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry, doing service under Lieutenant Barlow, of Shelby. He participated in the battle of Perryville, October 8, 1862; Chickamauga, September 20, 1868; and Kenesaw Mountain, June 27, 1864; and was subsequently with Sherman on the Atlanta campaign and the celebrated march to the sea, after which he participated in the grand review at Washington, D. C. With the exception of eight days, on account of illness, he lost no time and served for two years, nine months and twenty-seven clays. He arrived home June 19, 1865, having made a most creditable military record.
Following the close of hostilities Mr. Kuhn returned to his home and resumed farming on his father's place a tract of two hundred acres, which he cultivated for ten years in connection with his brother Elijah. In 1876 he purchased his present property, comprising eighty acres of land on section 26, Jackson township. He erected a nice country home and there are also many substantial outbuildings on the place, furnishing ample shelter for grain and stock. Mr. Kuhn is here engaged in general farming and stock-raising and in his business follows the most modern and progressive methods.
Mr. Kuhn was married, February 27. 1868, to Miss Sarah Kirkpatrick, who was born in Jackson township, May 26, 1845, a daughter of Jeremiah and Catherine (Flora) Kirkpatrick, the former born in Perry county. Pennsylvania, July 20, 1821, while the latter was born in Washington county, Maryland, September 14, 1819. Her father came here with his parents, October 31, 1831, and spent his remaining days in Richland county, passing away September 15, 1904. The mother came to Richland county with her parents in 1835 and also lived and died here, passing away September 19, 1900.
The home of Mr. and Mrs. Kuhn has been graced with eight children: Clayson, who died at the age of sixteen years; Charles, who died when but five mouths old; S. H., who resides in Franklin township, is married and has two sons, Nihl and Gail; Nellie, the wife of W. C. McCracken, of Mansfield; Willis O., at home; Anna, the wife of J. A. Bricker, of Jackson township, by whom she has one son, Rhymer; B. B. at home; and Henry, who died in infancy.
Mr. Kuhn is independent in politics. He served as assessor of Jackson township for several years and was also for a long period a member of the school board. He is a member of Mt. Bethel Lutheran church and of the Grand Army of the Republic at Shelby. Mr. Kuhn's life has been one of continuous activity and no blot or stain of dishonor rests upon his name for his business principles and actions have ever been governed by strict integrity and honesty of purpose. ["History of Richland County, Ohio from 1808 to 1908" By Abraham J. Baughman, Clarke, S. J., Publishing Company]
George McFerren is justly classed among the pioneer farmers of Richland county and Perry township, his residence here dating from 1841, or for a period of sixty-seven years. He now owns and operates a good farm of one hundred and fourteen acres, situated in Perry township, and from this tract he derives an income which supplies him with all the comforts and some of the luxuries of life. Mr. McFerren was born in Bedford county, Pennsylvania, June 20, 1839, a son of Henry and Catherine (Hardman) McFerren, who were farming people of the Keystone state and located in Richland county in 1841, the father purchasing a farm in Perry township, where he spent his remaining days. Both the parents are now deceased, however, the mother passing away in 1880, while the father's death occurred in 1895.
George McFerren is the younger of two sons born of his father's marriage, his brother being Samuel McFerren. The son pursued his studies in the common schools and was early trained to the duties of the home farm, assisting his father in plowing, planting and harvesting the crops, so that when he started out in life on his own account he had excellent knowledge of the methods of agriculture. He is now the owner of one hundred and fourteen acres, situated in Perry township. He has tiled and fenced the land and erected substantial buildings, so that today his property is a valuable one, and each year he adds to his financial income, owing to the sale of abundant crops.
Mr. McFerren chose as a companion and helpmate on the journey of life Miss Naoma K. Black, whom he wedded in 1862 and who died September 8. 1905. Unto this marriage were born a daughter and two sons, but the eldest, Ellen, is now deceased. The sons are C. L. and William A., both farmers of Perry township.
Mr. McFerren's study of the political questions and issues of the day has led him to give hearty support to the men and measures of democracy, but he has never been active as an office seeker, preferring rather to give his undivided time and attention to his private business interests, in which he is meeting with success. Brought to Richland county when but two years of age, he has always lived here and is therefore familiar with the history of this section of the state, and now in the evening of life he is surrounded by many warm friends who esteem him for his many excellent traits of heart and mind. ["History of Richland County, Ohio from 1808 to 1908" By Abraham J. Baughman, Clarke, S. J., Publishing Company]
Samuel Oberlin, farmer and stock-raiser; P. O. Bellville. Mr. Oberlin was born in Stark Co., in 1837; he remained in Stark Co., until he was 12 years old, when he came to this county, and has remained here up to this time. He was first married to Anna Eliza Ritter in 1861; she was born in Pennsylvania, they had seven children. Mrs. Oberlin died in 1874, at the age of 32 years. He remained a widower until 1875, when he was married to Anna Miller; she was born in this county in 1849; they have three children. Mr. Oberlin bought the farm formerly owned by Joseph Carr, where he has built him a fine residence where he now resides. Mr. Oberlin's parents came to this county in 1849; they remained here until their death. Mrs. Oberlin died in the fall of 1874; she was 58 years old. Mr. Oberlin died in 1876, at the age of 65 years. They were members of the German Lutheran Church. ["History of Richland County, Ohio..." pub. 1880 by A. A. Graham & Company, Mansfield, OH. - Sub by Ida Maack Recu]
James Palm (deceased). He was born in Cumberland County, Penn., July 26, 1823; he came to this county in the spring of 1841; he remained with his parents about seven years. He then married Miss Margaret Bowman Nov. 9, 1848; she was born in Cumberland Co., Penn., Jan. 4, 1827. Mr. Palm's vocation principally was farming during his life. He enlisted in the late war, May 2, 1864, in the 163d O. V. I., and died in the hospital at Wilson's Landing, Va., Aug. 2, 1864, from a disease contracted in the army, called "camp diarrhea." They had two sons, named James H. and Alvin M., both living. James H. was married to Miss Mary Andrews Feb. 11, 1873; they have two children, one son and one daughter. - Arthur born Dec. 30, 1878; Lottie May, Feb. 3, 1874. Mrs. Palm, the mother, is still living and is now 53 years old; she resides with her son on the old homestead; they have a good farm and it is well improved. Mr. Palm bought the farm formerly owned by his father, where they now reside. Alvin M., the other son, has been afflicted with a long spell of sickness, which has entirely destroyed his mind. ["History of Richland County, Ohio..." pub. 1880 by A. A. Graham & Company, Mansfield, OH. - Sub by Ida Maack Recu]
The present home farm of David Rhodes in Jackson township was also the place of his birth, which occurred January 3, 1849, so that he has throughout a long period been identified with the agricultural interests of Richland county. He is the fourth in order of birth in a family of five children, whose parents were Henry and Rachel (Stoner) Rhodes, both of whom were natives of Pennsylvania, the former born in Lancaster county, in 1808, and the latter in York county, that state. They were reared and married in the Keystone state and the year 1831 witnessed their arrival in Richland county, Ohio, the family home being established on a tract of land whereon no clearing had been made. The father at once cleared a space large enough to erect a log house and in this the family took up their abode. He then cleared the balance of the land and placed it under the plow, in due course of time harvesting rich crops as a reward for the care and labor which he bestowed upon it. The children of the family, five in number, are as follows: Henry P., who resides in Richland county and is mentioned on another page of this work; Mrs. Elizabeth Bloom, a resident of Michigan; Mrs. Sarah Paul, of Indiana; David, of this review; and Mrs. Melvina Arnold, also of Jackson township. Both the father and mother are now deceased, the former having passed away in March, 1896, in his eighty-eighth year, while the latter died in October, 1888, when she had reached the age of seventy-five, for her natal day was October 15, 1813.
David Rhodes, the immediate subject of this review, was reared to the duties of the home farm, early becoming familiar with the labors of plowing, planting and harvesting. He is today the owner of one hundred and eighty acres of land, divided into two farms, sixty acres of which constitute a part of the father's old home place. He has here two sets of buildings and in 1891 erected a good barn thirty-eight by sixty-six feet, with a shed thirty-two feet long, and on the farm which he rents stands a good brick residence. For a long period he was actively connected with agricultural pursuits and while he still retains his home on his farm he leaves the active labor to others, merely giving supervision to the work.
Mr. Rhodes was married in 1886 to Miss Izora Artz, who was born in Richland county, a daughter of Henry and Hannah (Holtz) Artz. The home of Mr. and Mrs. Rhodes was blessed with four children: Harry Earnest, David Dale, Wilber Willis and Roy Stanley. After a happy married life of but nine years the wife and mother was called to her final rest, her death occurring October 26, 1895.
While Mr. Rhodes is in hearty sympathy with the principles of democracy he largely votes an independent ticket. His fraternal relations are with the Knights of Pythias at Shelby. Mr. Rhodes was given a start in life by the inheritance of sixty acres of land from his father's estate, but it has been through his own energy, careful management and well directed labors that he has extended the boundaries of his place to its present acreage, so that he deserves much credit for what he has accomplished. In his younger years he spent a busy and active life, so that today he can enjoy the fruits of his former toil in ease and comfort, being surrounded by a host of warm friends, who esteem him highly for his own moral worth. ["History of Richland County, Ohio from 1808 to 1908" By Abraham J. Baughman, Clarke, S. J., Publishing Company]
Arnold Augustus Schantz
SCHANTZ, Arnold Augustus; born, Mansfield, O., Apr. 10, 1861; son of John and Barbara Ann (Buckingham) Schantz; educated in public schools of Mansfield; married at Detroit, July 14, 1906, Miss Lila Mae Rankin. Began active career at Mansfield as agent for the Detroit & Cleveland Navigation Co., 1880; was made advertising and tourist agent, 1882, traveling passenger agent, 1883, general western passenger agent, 1884, assistant general passenger agent, 1891, general passenger agent, 1892, general passenger and traffic manager, 1902, general superintendent and passenger traffic manager, 1903, general manager, same company, 1907. Also general manager and director, Detroit & Buffalo Steamboat Co., and Cleveland and Toledo Line; director The Melvin Co., Mica Mining Co., secretary Televent Co. Honorary member Detroit Light Guard and Detroit Y.M.C.A. Formerly superintendent of carriers Mansfield (O.) postoffice. Member Detroit Board of Commerce, Detroit
Transportation Society (president). Republican. Mason (32o), Shriner; member B.P.O.E. Clubs: Detroit, Fellowcraft, Detroit Yacht. Office: Foot of Wayne St. Residence: 49 Stimson Pl. [Source: "The Book of Detroiters". Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis
1908, CW - Sub by FoFG]
Christian Schindler, who is living retired on his farm on section 20, Washington township, was born in Prussia, Germany, September 4, 1829, his parents being Christopher and Hannah (Onheiser) Schindler, also natives of the fatherland, the former born in 1801 and the latter in 1807. Christopher Schindler accompanied his parents on their emigration to America in 1847, the little party landing at Quebec, whence they went direct to Missouri, arriving there in August, 1847. In the spring of 1848 the father of our subject came to Richland county, Ohio, purchasing a small farm of twenty acres on section 4, Washington township. He was a tailor by trade and gave his attention largely to that vocation, leaving the work of the farm mostly to his sons. In the spring of 1868 he removed to a farm near Lexington, Ohio, but two years later he returned to Washington township, where he lived some five years, and in the spring of 1875 he again removed to Troy township, where he died the same year. His wife survived him until 1888, when she, too, was called to her final rest. Unto this worthy couple were born five children, namely: Christian, of this review; Mrs. Laura Mengert, who is a widow residing in Mansfield, Ohio; William, who died while serving as a soldier in the army; Catherine, the wife of John Miller, of Mansfield, Ohio; and John, who makes his home in Lexington, Ohio.
Christian Schindler acquired a good common-school education in his native country, and was eighteen years of age when he came to the United States. He remained under the parental roof until he attained the age of twenty-three years and then began the operation of a rented farm, being thus engaged until 1861, when he purchased a tract of forty acres. In 1868, however, he sold this farm and bought his present place of seventy acres on section 20, Washington township, which he has brought under a high state of development and on which he has put many excellent improvements. He still resides on the farm, but is now renting the land, so that he is enabled to spend his remaining days in well earned ease, being widely recognized as one of the highly respected, prosperous and venerable citizens of the community.
On the 5th of October, 1854, occurred the marriage of Mr. Schindler and Miss Mary Touby, whose birth occurred in Germany, November 13, 1830, her parents being Jacob and Elizabeth Touby, the former born in 1800 and the latter in 1802. Mrs. Schindler accompanied her parents on their removal to the new world in 1848, the family home being established in Washington township, Richland county, where the father purchased a farm. His demise occurred in this county in 1872, while his wife also passed away here, being called to her final rest on the 30th of November, 1885. Their family numbered seven children, three of whom still survive; Mrs. Mary Engelhart, a widow residing in Lexington, Ohio; Mrs. Schindler and William, of Washington township. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Schindler has been born one daughter, Mary, the wife of Martin Touby, of Washington township.
Mr. Schindler is a democrat in his political views, and both he and his wife are lifelong members of the Evangelical church, in which he has served as elder. They are a highly esteemed and intelligent old couple, receiving the veneration and respect which should ever be accorded those who have traveled thus far on life's journey and whose careers have ever been upright and honorable.["History of Richland County, Ohio from 1808 to 1908" By Abraham J. Baughman, Clarke, S. J., Publishing Company -VH - Sub by FoFG]
Rev. Father Ferdinand A. Schreiber
Rev. Father Ferdinand A. Schreiber, pastor of St. Peter's church at Mansfield, was born at Callicoon, New York, July 3, 1861. His father, Charles Schreiber, was a native of Baden, Germany, and about 1848 came to America, settling at Newark, New Jersey, where he was employed as a laborer for some time, but later engaged in business on his own account. About 1862 he removed to Scranton. Pennsylvania, where he still resides and is yet active to some extent, although he has reached the age of seventy-six years. He married Appalonia Guenther, also a native of Baden, Germany, although they were married in this country. She is still living at the age of seventy-four years. Their family numbered six children, who still survive, of whom John, Joseph and Jacob Schreiber are all engaged in business in Scranton, Pennsylvania. Mary is the wife of Henry Scholl, of Scranton, and Catherine is at home.
Father Ferdinand A. Schreiber spent his boyhood in Scranton, where he attended the parochial schools, made his first communion and was confirmed. At the age of fifteen years he entered St. Vincent's College, conducted by the Benedictine Fathers near Beatty in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, There he remained until he finished his classical and philosophical courses. When he had completed these he studied under the Rt, Rev. Richard Gilmour, bishop of Cleveland, and after the completion of his theological course was ordained to the priesthood July 3, 1886. Following his ordination he was appointed to take charge of missions, with headquarters at Antwerp, Ohio, where he ministered to the spiritual needs of six or seven congregations located in Pauling and Defiance counties, Ohio, having charge of the mission churches at Payne, Latty, Cecil, Junction. Hicksville and Delaware Bend, Ohio. He built the churches at Latty and Cecil, Ohio, and after four years
spent in that charge he was assigned to the Sacred Heart of Jesus church at Shelby settlement in Richland county. There he remained for over seven years, during which time he was instrumental in erecting a nice stone church. In 1898 he was removed to Mansfield, where he has since remained.
Father Magenhann had just resigned on account of ill health. Father Schreiber found a large debt incumbering the parish property, which was soon fully paid. The financial condition of the church is now excellent. A home has been built for the Sisters of St. Francis, nine in number, seven of whom are employed as teachers. A cemetery site has also been purchased and improved and an annex has been built to the school property, adding four new schoolrooms. A large tract of eighty foot frontage adjoining the church has been purchased and on this is to be erected a new house of worship, toward which purpose Father Schreiber has already accumulated a considerable sum. Upon the completion of a new church the old one will be used as a school hall. Since his coming the Knights of Columbus have been established here and are growing in membership, while various other parochial societies have been formed. Father Schreiber is most zealous and earnest in all of his work and is accomplishing great good for Catholicism. ["History of Richland County, Ohio from 1808 to 1908" By Abraham J. Baughman, Clarke, S. J., Publishing Company]
Henry Secrist, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Bellville; he was born in Pennsylvania, Feb. 18, 1818; his parents came to Wayne Co. in 1826, where they remained for two years, then came to this county in 1828; his father bought a quarter-section of the Virginia School Lands, formerly leased by Mr. Lepper, the same farm is now owned by Henry Secrist. He was married to Elizabeth Sintz Sept. 10, 1841; she was born in Pennsylvania, Dec. 28, 1814; they had five children, one son and four daughters - Jacob, deceased; Mary A., deceased; Eliza J.; Catharine, deceased; and Rachel A., deceased. Eliza J. Secrist was married to Samuel Spade in the fall of 1862; they have six children. Henry Secrist enlisted in the late war, May 2, 1864, and was discharged Sept. 15, 1864. ["History of Richland County, Ohio..." pub. 1880 by A. A. Graham & Company, Mansfield, OH. - Sub by Ida Maack Recu]
Albert A Shafer
A. A. Shafer is a prosperous and successful business man of Bellville, where he is proprietor of the Shafer Furniture Store and Funeral Home. He was born here, Sept. 18, 1864, the son of John F. and Theresa (Weaver) Shafer.
John F. Shafer was a native of Bedford County, Pa., and one of the first settlers of Richland County. He came to Bellville with his parents in 1826 and located on a farm four miles west of the city, on the present Bowers-Kochheiser farm. Mr. Shafer came to Bellville in 1861 and operated a hotel here four years, after which he purchased a farm four miles northwest of the city, where he died in 1890. His wife, who was born in Jefferson Township, Richland County, died in 1922. Both are buried at Bellville. Mr. Shafer was a Democrat and held numerous township offices. He was a life long member of the Lutheran Church and was one of the founders of the Salem Lutheran Church. To Mr. and Mrs. Shafer were born four children: D. F., lives at Mansfield; Nortie, married T. J. Baker, lives at Bellville; A. A., the subject of this sketch; and Verdie, married Jerry Perry, deceased, and she lives at Elyria, Ohio.
A. A. Shafer received his education in the district schools of Jefferson Township and attended Bellville High School. He taught school for six years in Richland County, after which he engaged in general farming until 1907. In that year Mr. Shafer purchased the furniture and undertaking establishment of Lanehart & Brown, which he has since successfully conducted. Mr. Shafer is a graduate of the John I. Clark School of Embalming, Cincinnati, Ohio, and passed the Ohio State Board examinations with a grade of 99 ½ per cent.
On Dec. 24, 1889, Mr. Shafer was united in marriage with Miss Mary C. Goss, the daughter of George and Susan (Zent) Goss, who were natives of Ohio, both now deceased. They are buried at Pleasant Grove Cemetery, which is located four miles west of Bellville. To Mr. and Mrs. Shafer were born four daughters: Hortense, married Walter E. Clever, lives at Bellville; Evelyn, deceased; Caroline, twin sister of Evelyn, is a graduate of Wittenburg College, married Rev. Frank F. Secrist, lives at Dayton, Ohio; and Esther, deceased.
In politics Mr. Shafer has always been independent. He has served as city treasurer for a period of four years, and as a member of the council for three terms, having refused the appointment for a fourth term. He is an elder of the Lutheran Church, of which he has been an active member since he was 21 years of age, and he has served for many years as a Sunday School teacher. He has been affiliated with Bellville Lodge, F. & A. M., No. 376, for almost 30 years and belongs to Knights of Pythias, Chamber of Commerce and Bellville Homecoming Association.
Mr. Shafer is also the owner of a well improved farm of 160 acres in Richland County. [Source: "History of north central Ohio: embracing Richland, Ashland, Wayne, Medina, Lorain, Huron and Knox Counties" by William A.Duff; Topeka: Historical Pub. Co., 1931 - Sub by Ida Maack Recu]
Roscoe Carlton Skiles
Roscoe Carlton Skiles is the junior member of the law firm of Skiles, Green & Skiles, constituting one of the strongest legal combinations of Richland county, but while he is making for himself an enviable record at the bar, he is also winning an equally commendable reputation as a public-spirited citizen and for five years, as chief executive officer of Shelby, did effective work in promoting public progress and improvement in his native city. He was born here October 18, 1878, and has always made this city his home, spending his boyhood days under the roof of his father, George M. Skiles. Parsing through consecutive grades in the public schools, he at length completed his course by graduation from the Shelby high school with the class of 1896. He then matriculated in the Ohio State University, where he remained until 1901, when he was graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Laws. In June of that year he was admitted to the bar and entered his father's law office, practicing with the firm of Skiles & Skiles until the death of his uncle, the Hon. W. W. Skiles, in 1904. A new partnership was then formed, under the style of Skiles, Green & Skiles, with our subject as the junior partner. He is a lawyer of wide learning, careful in the preparation of his cases and clear and forceful in their presentation, and although one of the younger, he is also recognized as one of the foremost members of the Shelby bar.
Few men of his years have so long filled the chair of mayor as has Mr. Skiles. In April, 1903, he was called to that office as the candidate of the republican party and in May took his seat for the administration of municipal affairs here. By act of the legislature his first term was extended to January 1,1906, after which he was re-elected and served until January 1, 1908, so that for five years he remained the chief executive head of Shelby. He has been very active in party organization, being one of the most prominent and influential republicans of this district.
On the 3d of October, 1901, Mr. Skiles was married to Miss Isabella Fullington, a native of Columbus, Ohio, and a daughter of James Fullington. Attractive social qualities render Mr. Skiles popular in the Colonial Club and the Mansfield Country Club. He is well known in Shelby and his record stands in contradistinction to the old adage that a prophet is never without honor, save in his own country, for in the city where his entire life has been passed Roscoe C. Skiles has gained a position of distinction that is indicative of the respect and admiration which his fellow citizens entertain for his substantial intellectual qualities and professional ability. ["History of Richland County, Ohio from 1808 to 1908" By Abraham J. Baughman, Clarke, S. J., Publishing Company]
John Spayde is one of the few remaining veterans of the Civil war and he is also entitled to credit as a self-made man, for he today owns a valuable tract of land comprising one hundred and eighty-five acres situated in Jefferson township. He was born on a farm a mile and a half south of Bellville, June 26, 1830, a son of William and Catherine (Houston) Spayde. The father was a native of Pennsylvania, but came as a small boy to Richland county and here spent his remaining days, passing away in Jefferson township. His family numbered eight children, of whom three are deceased, the living members being: John, of this review; Daniel, now living retired in Butler, this state; Elizabeth, a resident of Washington township; Emma, of Jefferson township and Alice, who makes her home in Pennsylvania.
John Spayde, whose name introduces this record, acquired his education in the common schools and in early life learned the cooper's trade under the direction of his father, following that pursuit for twenty in Richland county. He later engaged in farming, purchasing thirty-five acres of land in Worthington township, where he lived during the three succeeding years, after which he removed to Washington township, where he made his home for a quarter of a century and then removed to Jefferson township, where he has since made his home. At one time he was the owner of more than hundred acres of land, but this he has divided among his sons until he now retains possession of but one hundred and eighty-five acres, this being well improved and in a good state of cultivation. He is engaged in general farming and also makes a specialty of the raising of stock, shipping to the city markets.
At the time of the Civil war Mr. Spayde put aside all business and personal considerations and enlisted for service as a member of Company C, One Hundred and Sixty-third Regiment of Volunteers, joining the company in July, 1864. He enlisted as a private but was promoted to the rank of second lieutenant and was serving in that capacity at the time of his discharge. He gave to his country faithful service, being ever known as a loyal defender of the stars and stripes.
Mr. Spayde has been twice married, his first union being with Miss Catherine Secrist, who became the mother of six children, of whom two died in infancy. The four sons who survive are: William, a farmer who resides near the home of our subject; Charles, who is engaged in railroading and makes his home in Bellville; Sanford L., a farmer of Morrow county, Ohio; and Monroe, who follows farming in Washington township. Mr. Spayde's second marriage was with Elizabeth Carter, by whom he has four children: Guy, Alma, Glen and Mertie, all still under the parental roof.
Mr. Spayde is a stalwart advocate of republican principles, while his fraternal relations are with the Grange at Jefferson, and as a memoir of the troublous times of 1861-1865 he affiliates with the Bellville G. A. R. He is a self-made man, who without any special advantages at the commencement of life has battled earnestly and energetically and by indomitable courage and integrity has achieved both character and fortune and is today numbered among the leading citizens of Richland county. ["History of Richland County, Ohio from 1808 to 1908" By Abraham J. Baughman, Clarke, S. J., Publishing Company -VH - Sub by FoFG]
William Strurms came from Shelby, Ohio, late in 1829, and like his neighbor Weeks, was fond of the chase [game], yet he did not give himself wholly to the sport, but passed the greater portion of his time at home, improving his land. He remained in the township [St Joseph Township, Allen Co, Ind] until his decease, keeping pace with the march of improvement. ["History of Allen County, Indiana" pub. 1880; Chicago, Kingman Brothers; tr. by bmt]
COUNTY VETERAN, 90, TELLS OF CIVIL WAR EXPERIENCE
Galion, March 3 - Johnson Taylor of Mansfield road residing in Sandusky township, Richland county, east of Galion, Civil war veteran, and oldest member of Dick Morris Post, G. A. R., this city, will celebrate his 90th birthday anniversary Saturday.
Mr. Taylor was born on a farm about one-half mile east of the Ohio State Reformatory at Mansfield, and when he was a little past 18 years, in the year 1861, he became a volunteer in Company E, Third Ohio Cavalry, joining at Monroeville. He recalls vividly the scenes of battle at Perryville, Stone River, Chicamauga, Mission Ridge, and others.
He tells a story of how the Yankees captured a confederate "train" taking money and supplies to the army, and how he found himself with $65,000, in Confederate new money. He used $110 of this money to buy a pipe and tobacco. Later, he lost the money when his horse crossed a river.
He was mustered out of service at Columbia, Tenn., and received honorable discharge Oct. 10, 1854 at Columbus. Mr. Taylor came back to Ohio and married Eleanor M. Cole who resided on an adjoining farm east of Mansfield. He was employed on the old Erie railroad for four years, and in 1872 bought the present farm where he had lived since.
Mr. Taylor attended high school at Mansfield until the Civil war broke out. Since he has lived in Sandusky township he has served 10 years as township clerk, and 12 years as justice of the peace. In 1908 he took part in the G. A. R. encampment at Toledo. He recalls the depression when Cleveland was president and oats sold for 12c per bushel.
Mr. Taylor's four children are: Norton Taylor of near Galion; Dick Taylor of Grove avenue this city; Lisle Taylor of near Galion; and Clyde Taylor who resides on the homestead with his father. There are five grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren. Mrs. Taylor, his wife, died Dec. 12, 1926. [The Mansfield News (Mansfield, Ohio) March 3, 1933 - Sub by Ida Maack Recu]
John Tillbury settled in the southeast part of the township [St Joseph Township, Allen Co, Ind] in 1832, came from Shelby, Ohio. He was a man of great energy, and cleared a large farm, which he cultivated successfully during his life. He died in the township and the farm which he cleared is still owned by his heirs. ["History of Allen County, Indiana" pub. 1880; Chicago, Kingman Brothers; tr. by bmt]
Martin Touby, who is meeting with a large degree of success in the conduct of his farming interests in Washington township, was born near Butler, Ohio, in Worthington township, June 24, 1857, his parents being John and Anna C. (Kochheiser) Touby, the former born in Germany in 1827 and the latter on the 1st of January, 1831. The father accompanied his parents on their emigration to the new world about 1846 or 1847, the family home being established in Washington township, Richland county, Ohio.
In 1849, John Touby, attracted by the discovery of gold on the Pacific coast, was grub staked and sent to California. After an absence of eighteen months he returned home, and after settling accounts with the man who had staked him, he discovered that he had six hundred dollars left. With this sum he purchased a farm east of Bellville, which he operated for three years and then sold, coming thence to Washington township. Here he bought a tract of one hundred and twelve acres, which he disposed of, however, after a period of five years and then purchased one hundred and forty acres, later adding forty more acres to the place. Later he bought one hundred and twenty-one acres on the Pleasant Valley road, and subsequently acquired a tract of twenty acres more on the same road. Here he spent the remainder of his life, his death occurring on the 7th of January, 1889. He was highly esteemed in the community, and held a number of public positions of trust and responsibility. His religious faith was indicated by his membership in the Evangelical church, with which his wife is also identified, the latter now making her home in Mansfield, Ohio. Unto Mr. and Mrs. John Touby were born five children: Louisa C., the wife of John Remy, of Washington township; Mary, deceased; Martin, of this review; Mrs. Catherine Garver, living in Mansfield, Ohio; and Albert C., of Washington township.
Martin Touby acquired his education in the district schools and remained under the parental roof until the time of his marriage, when he began farming on his father-in-law's place. He now owns one hundred and fifteen acres of well improved land on section 30, Washington township, his farm being equipped with all modern accessories and conveniences. He has a commodious, attractive, up-to-date pressed-brick residence, the interior furnishings being in oak, and has likewise erected large and substantial out-buildings for the shelter of grain and stock. He is a man of untiring industry and excellent business ability, and is well known and esteemed as one of the progressive and enterprising agriculturists of the community.
On the 31st of January, 1884, Mr. Touby united in the holy bonds of matrimony to Miss Mary Schindler, whose birth occurred in Washington township, March 15, 1860. Her father, Christian Schindler, is mentioned on another page of this volume. Unto this marriage have been born three children: Archibald A., Marie L. and Otto Leroy, all of whom are at home.
Mr. Touby gave his political allegiance to the men and measures of the democracy, and has served his fellow townsmen in various positions of public trust. He and his family are all members of the Evangelical church, and they have gained an extensive circle of friends throughout the locality, the hospitality of the best homes being freely accorded them. ["History of Richland County, Ohio from 1808 to 1908" By Abraham J. Baughman, Clarke, S. J., Publishing Company -VH - Sub by FoFG]