Richland County, Ohio
Genealogy and History

Genealogy Trails - Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led



Crime News

Mansfield, O., Nov 8- William D. Bonnetti, 24, was shot and instantly killed while playing cards with Samuel Basino, at the latter's home at 1 o'clock this afternoon. Basino claims Bonnetti shot himself, but Coroner Miller claims this to be impossible, the bullet entering the body under the left arm near the heart. Basino disappeared after the shooting and has not yet been found.
[Lima Daily News, Nov 8, 1913 - Sub. by Linda Dietz]

Joseph Berno, 30, Shot; Suspect Held at Akron; Victim Hit by Shotgun Charge.
Joseph Berno, 30, former Mansfielder, is in St. Luke's hospital, Cleveland, wounded about the head and body by a man who, Summit county deputies say, lay in ambush for him for three hours Saturday night. The man, reported to have confessed shooting Berno, is being held in the county jail at Akron. The shooting took place outside the Berno home in Northfield, 15 miles north of Akron, dispatches said. The suspect, against whom no charge has been placed today, pending the outcome of Berno's injuries, is reported to have said that Berno had been friendly with his wife. The man is an FERA worker. Akron advices said The shot which struck Berno is said to have been fired from a 20-gauge shotgun. Berno is the son of Mr. and Mrs. William Berno, 388 Park avenue west. Employed as a bond salesman in Cleveland, he had lived until recently in Shaker Heights, moving a short time ago to Northfield. His parents left for Cleveland today.
Mrs. Berno is in St. Anne's hospital, Cleveland, it was learned in son Saturday. She has not been informed of the shooting, but was told her husband had been hurt in a "minor" accident.
Berno's condition today was reported to be "fair."
[Mansfield News Journal (Mansfield, Ohio) January 14, 1935 - Sub by Ida Maack Recu]

Bound Over to Grand Jury on Shooting to Kill Charge; Berno Improving. SCOUT MAN'S SUSPICIONS
Authorities, Neighbors, Discount Story Involving Salesman, Wife of Laborer.
While Joseph Berno, 30, former Mansfield resident, laid in St. Luke's hospital, Cleveland, recovering today from a shotgun wound, John Melcher, 49, an FERA worker in Northfield, Summit county, was bound over to the Summit grand jury on a charge of shooting with intent to kill. Melcher is accused of having ambushed Bruno when the latter entered his home at Northfield Saturday night, firing a shotgun at him at close range. His mind believed to have been inflamed by drink, Melcher was under the delusion that Berno, a bond salesman, was in love with Mrs. Melcher, according to Akron authorities. The latter scouted Melcher's suspicions. Assistant Summit county prosecutor Charles Sacks was the authority for the statement that Melcher had been drinking prior to the shooting.
Berno Improves.
Melcher was arrested a short time after the shooting, his daughter having called police and told them that her father had left the house, intent on shooting Berno. Deputies from the office of Sheriff James T. Flowers caught him in a woods near his home. He offered no resistance. Meanwhile, dispatches from Cleveland said that Berno was slowly improving. The shotgun had torn into his jaw. Mes. Berno, who became the mother of a son four days ago, in St. Anne's hospital, Cleveland, was informed of the tragedy that had befallen her husband late yesterday. News of the shooting was withheld from her for a time. She was told only that he had been hurt in an "accident." The shooting occurred as Berno entered his home after having been in Cleveland to see his wife.
Neighbors Scout Man's Suspicions.
Akron dispatches said neighbors of the Berno family joined with authorities in discounting Melcher's suspicions concerning Berno and Mrs. Melcher, who is much older than Berno. Mrs. Melcher had been employed from time to time at the Berno home for the last few weeks, while Mrs. Berno prepared for the arrival of her son, born last week. Neighbors asserted, dispatches said, that Berno's conduct had been irreproachable since he had lived in Northfield. The family moved there from Shaker Heights last summer.
[Mansfield News Journal (Mansfield, Ohio) January 15, 1935]

AKRON, O., April 11--John W. Melcher, Northfield FERA worker was sentenced to life imprisonment here yesterday after being convicted of shooting Joseph Berno three months ago.
[Evening Gazette (Xenia, Ohio) April 11, 1935 - sub by Ida Maack Recu]

Lexington Woman Beaten and Robbed -- Widow Struck By Assailant While In Bed - Finger Broken by Blow as She Raises Hand to Protect Self.
Sheriff E. P. Long and deputies were searching for an assailant who beat an elderly Lexington woman while she lay in bed early today and robbed her of her purse. Mrs. Rose Kell, about 68, widow of M. A. Kell who for many years operated a hardware store in Lexington, was struck over the head and one of her fingers broken shortly after 1 a.m. as she lay in bed at her home on Grange street. She lived alone.
Bruised and suffering from shock, Mrs. Kell told Sheriff Long that she was awakened by a severe blow on the side of her head, and that as she cried out and raised her hand to protect her head, the man struck her.
He hit her with a heavy instrument, the blow landing on her fingers, one of which was broken. It was believed by the sheriff that protection afforded by her hand may have saved her from a more serious head injury.
The man then went to a dresser drawer and took Mrs. Kell's purse. He told Mrs. Kell to remain in her bed for 15 minutes after he left, the sheriff was told. Mrs. Kell later managed to get to the home of Charles Lawrence, across the street, but she was unable to arouse the family and then went to the home of George Kreps, whom she awakened. Kreps notified the sheriff.
Sheriff Long said that the robber removed a screen from a cellar window, climbed in through the window, threw the light switch off and cut the telephone wires.
Mrs. Kell said today that she believed there was bout $10 in her purse.
Mrs. Kell remained at the Kreps home today.
Sheriff's deputies at noon today were still without clues as to the identity of the assailant. The sheriff expressed the opinion that the intruder was familiar with Mrs. Kells' home since he located the woman's purse without having to ransack the residence.
[Mansfield News Journal (Mansfield, Ohio) June 25, 1940 - Sub. by Ida Maack Recu]

Deputy sheriffs and police today questioned and fingerprinted two transients brought here from Lexington in their search for the man who beat and robbed Mrs. Rose Kell, 68, of Lexington, as she lay in her bed early yesterday. Sheriff E. P. Long said he and his deputies would question every transient and "floater" in Lexington, since the officers have only meager clues with which to work. He said they had learned nothing of value from the men questioned so far. Mrs. Kell, widow of M. A. Kell, Lexington hardware dealer, was beaten on the head and hands by an attacker who crept into the large house where she slept alone. One of the blows fractured a finger on her right hand. She was not believed seriously hurt. The assailant, who apparently thought she had a large sum of money in the house, took a purse containing about $10. After cutting radio and telephone wires, he entered through a cellar window.
[Mansfield News Journal (Mansfield, Ohio) June 26, 1940 - Sub. by Ida Maack Recu]

Former Mansfield Banker Linked To $200,000 Shortage
Estley Dean (Ed)
Maglott, 32, former Richland Trust Co. employe and a native of Butler, was the object of an FBI search today following his disappearance from his post as assistant vice president of the Hyde Park, Ill., National Bank and discovery of a shortage of funds which could reach $200,000. Also sought was an attractive 20-year-old blonde who formerly worked with Maglott in the consumer loan division of the Hyde Park bank of which Maglott was manager.
The Illinois bank, which obtained a warrant for his arrest yesterday, is headed by John F. McKnight, also a former Mansfield man who resigned as vice president and secretary of Richland Trust Co. in 1958 to accept the presidency of the Hyde Park bank. It was McKnight who had offered Maglott a position with the Illinois bank soon after he took over the top position in 1958 and in less than five years Maglott had been promoted to vice president and manager of the consumer loan division there. McKnight told investigators in Hyde Park the shortage was discovered during a routine audit and shortly after Maglott was told about it, he disappeared.
The exact amount of the shortage is not expected to be known until a thorough investigation is completed but McKnight told newsmen in Chicago: "Thus far, less than $10,000 in loans have been connected to these irregularities" but he added the shortages could total $200,000.
Bank officials at Hyde Park, which is on the south side of Chicago, reported the loss would be covered by a fidelity bond of $1 million. The bank has deposits of $34.7 million. Maglott, son of Mr. and Mrs. Virgil Maglott of Butler, and his wife, Shirley, also from Butler, had lived in Mansfield at 190 Gerke Ave. Friends here said that after moving to Illinois the couple had adopted a child. [
Mansfield News Journal (Mansfield, Ohio) August 24, 1963]

Former Ohioan Is Sought for Theft Of Bank's Funds
A former Ohioan is being sought in connection with the possible loss of $200,000 at the National Bank of Hyde Park on Chicago's South Side. He is Estley Maglott, 32, assistant vice president in charge of the consumer loan division. He formerly worked for the Richland Trust Co. in Mansfield, Ohio. John F. McKnight, president of the Chicago bank, said irregularities were found in Maglott's accounts and added that the exact amount of the loss has not been determined. Bank officials said, however, that a loss as high as $200,000 is a possibility. The FBI has joined in the search for Maglott.
[The Marion Star (Marion, Ohio) August 24, 1963]

Banker, Blonde, Cash Missing
Federal agents today hunted a young bank official who disappeared after auditors uncovered bank shortages that could reach $200,000. Also sought was an attractive blonde who formerly worked at the bank. The National Bank of Hyde Park obtained a warrant for the arrest of Estley Dean Maglott, 32, described by a fellow employe as a "well-liked" family man. Maglott had been in charge of consumer loans since he came to the South Side bank from Mansfield, Ohio in 1958.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation also said it was looking for a 20-year-old blonde who formerly worked with Maglott in the loan division. Bank President John F. McKnight said the shortage was discovered during a routine audit. Maglott was told about it he said, then disappeared.
[The Cochocton Tribune (Coshocton, Ohio) August 24, 1963]

Hyde Park Bank Officer Sought in Fund Shortage
A warrant was issued yesterday for Estley Dean Maglott, assistant vice president of the National Bank of Hyde Park, 1525 E. 53rd st., in connection with a shortage in the consumer loan department that may total $200,000, the Federal Bureau of Investigation reported. John F. McKnight, bank president, said the shortage was uncovered during a routine audit of the department which Maglott headed.
Bank Calls FBI
Maglott, 32, of 9588 Colfax av., disappeared after being told of irregularities disclosed by the audit, McKnight said.
The bank referred the irregularities to the FBI, which investigated to determine whether a federal violation had occurred.
"We will not be able to determine the extent of the loans involved until a thoro investigation is completed," McKnight said. "Thus far less than $20,000 in loans have been connected to these irregularities. Loss to the bank could reach $200,000."
Move Out of House
He estimated that much of the loss will be recovered thru normal collection procedures and emphasized that the entire loss is covered by a one-million-dollar fidelity bond. Maglott was employed by the bank in 1958. He formerly worked for the Richland Trust company, Mansfield, O. Neighbors said the Maglotts lived at the Colfax avenue address for about two years.
[Chicago Tribune (Chicago, Illinois) August 24, 1963]

Federal Bureau of investigation agents continued their search for Estley Dean Maglott, vice president of the National Bank of Hyde Park, 1525 E. 53rd st., in connection with shortages which the bank said might reach $200,000.
Maglott, 32, disappeared from his apartment at 9588 Colfax av., several days ago after being confronted with shortages of $20,000 in the consumer loan department which he headed, said John F. McKnight, bank president.
The FBI began its search for Maglott on a warrant issued Friday charging embezzlement of $19,639. Meanwhile, the missing bank official's estranged wife, Mrs. Shirley Loney Maglott, 31, of Butler, O., said she had not seen her husband since early this month.
[Chicago Tribune (Chicago, Illinois) August 25, 1963]


Estley Dean Maglott, 36, former assistant vice president of the National Bank of Hyde Park who was sought for embezzling from the bank, has been arrested in Miami, the Federal Bureau of Investigation said yesterday. Maglott, who was charged with misapplying more than $19,000 from the consumer credit department, disappeared from his apartment at 9588 Colfax av. in August, 1963. He was arrested by Florida authorities on charges of abetting and operating a lottery, held in Dade county jail in lieu of $25,000 bail. A hearing will be held at 2:30 p.m. today.
[Chicago Tribune (Chicago, Illinois) June 21, 1965]

Estley Dean Maglott, 35, former assistant vice president and loan officer for the National Bank of Hyde Park, 1525 E. 53d st., pleaded guilty to misapplying $124,388 in bank loans in federal District court yesterday. Maglott appeared before Judge Joseph Sam Perry, who set sentencing for Aug. 13. Maglott was placed in the federal marshal's lock up. His bond was set at $25,000.
Sought Since 1963
Maglott, a fugitive since August, 1963, when he was indicted by a federal grand jury, was returned to Chicago yesterday from Miami, where he has been living since he fled. When arrested on a gambling charge by Dade county police on June 19, Maglott told them he was wanted in Chicago. Maglott was earning $11,000 a year when his troubles began.
After his court appearance yesterday, Maglott and his court-appointed attorney, John J. Muldoon, told a TRIBUNE reporter the story of what they said caused his downfall. A mortgage broker. whose identity Maglott would not disclose, came to him early in 1961 highly recommended, they said. The broker said he wanted to obtain loans from the bank to improve his holdings in several Chicago suburbs. Maglott said the broker supplied information and photos of property which he said he owned and wanted to use as collateral. Thru Maglott, he received a series of loans from the bank totaling $103,000 over a period of several weeks.
Payments to Bank Stop
The broker made the first several payments due on the loans but then stopped. Maglott said his superiors at the bank ordered him to find out why and to take steps to collect the payments. Maglott said he tried repeatedly, but in vain, to get the broker to keep up his payments. He said he then discovered the information and pictures the broker provided on the collateral property were phony. Then, Maglott said, he stopped reporting to the bank that the loan payments were overdue and tried to pay them out of his own funds. He estimated he used between $2,000 and $3,000 of his funds to meet the payments.
However, Maglott found he couldn't keep up this method of making payments. Instead, he issued $21,388 in false loans to fictitious people and used this money to repay the broker's loans, he said. Finally, Maglott said, he could no longer cope with the situation and fled by plane to Miami with $100 in his pocket, leaving behind his wife and daughter, without telling them his problems. He said he worked at odd jobs in Florida.
[Chicago Tribune (Chicago, Illinois) July 31, 1965]

Convicted Banker Refutes Charge
Estly D. Maglott, who has pleaded guilty to a nine-count federal District court indictment charging him with misappropriating more than $100,000 in National Bank of Hyde Park funds, denied in a statement yesterday in Circuit court that he sold the same mortgages twice.
Maglott, former assistant vice president of the National Bank of Hyde Park, gave a deposition in the suit filed by Harry Eager, owner of the Illinois Mortgage company. The suit charges Maglott sold 31 mortgages valued at $103,000 to Richard J. Deutsch, an attorney, after having sold them to Eager.
In the deposition, Maglott said he sold the mortgages to Deutch. He denied selling them to Eager.
Maglott is scheduled to appear before Judge Abraham Marowitz in federal District court on Sept. 13 for sentencing in the misappropriation case. Maglott, who disappeared in 1961, was arrested in Miami last month.
[Chicago Tribune (Chicago, Illinois) August 26, 1965]

Estley Dean Maglott, 35, former assistant vice president and loan officer for the National Bank of Hyde Park, 1525 E. 53d st., was sentenced to one year in prison by Judge Abraham L. Marovitz in federal District court yesterday for misapplying an estimated $300,000 in bank funds.
Judge Marovitz said he had intended to impose a two-year sentence but changed his mind after he was told that Maglott was cooperating with federal investigators. Additional indictments involving loans from the bank were expected in 60 days, the court was told.
Paul E. Plunkett, assistant United States attorney, said Maglott, who was arrested in Dade county, Fla., on a gambling charge and returned to Chicago last July, received about $30,000 of the misapplied funds.
[Chicago Tribune (Chicago, IL) September 16, 1965]

An attorney and a real estate dealer were found guilty yesterday of conspiring to defraud the former National Bank of Hyde Park, 1525 E. 53d st., of $42, 825, and each was sentenced to 18 months in prison and fined $5,000 by Judge Julius J. Hoffman in federal District court.
They are Richard J. Deutsch, 9534 Colfax av., an attorney with offices at 8543 Stony Island av., and Bert Williams, 6132 Michigan av., operator of the Unlimited Realty company, 1024 E. 76th st.
Lawrence T. Stanner, assistant United States' attorney, charged during the trial that the two men conspired with Estley D. Maglott, 38, a former vice president of the bank, to defraud the bank of the money between 1961 and 1963.
Maglott was an unindicted co-conspirator to the case. He had served one year in prison after pleading guilty to embezzling $124,388 from the bank.
Stanner claimed that Deutsch and Williams provided false information to the bank in applying for loans in their names and the names of companies they controlled. He said Maglott then caused the bank to approve the loans.
[Chicago Tribune (Chicago, Illinois) February 19, 1969 - sub by Ida Maack Recu]

Case of Knox County Youth to Come Before Panel This Afternoon.
Tells County Authorities How He Forged Check; 21 Other Cases on Jury Docket.
Facing indictment on four charges as the result of a shooting episode Monday night at a "belling" party at his father's home near Bellville, Carl Spayde, 20, of near Amity, Knox county, today awaited action by the county grand jury which was scheduled to hear his case this afternoon.
The case is one of 22 which was to be presented to the grand jury today in its first session in the January term of court.
Outgrowth of Party.
Although no formal charges had been filed against Spayde, Prosecutor G. W. Marriott said he might be indicted for shooting with intent to wound, automobile theft, forgery, and carrying concealed weapons as the outcome of a party during which the youth allegedly shot at his step-mother and former sweetheart.
Young Spayde related to county authorities yesterday how he had forged a $20 check in Bellville to buy new clothes for his father's wedding party and then shot at his step-mother, Mrs. Ann Spayde, 23, after he was ejected from their home.
The youth then took his father's car and fled south to the Knox county farm where he was employed, he said. Sherriff E. P. Long and Deputy Glenn Freeman arrested him there at noon yesterday.
Goes to Celebrate.
Young Spayde lost his sweetheart to his father about a week ago when his parent and the girl were married, but the son contended he held no ill feelings and went to his father's home with three companions to celebrate the marriage.
Ordered out of the house when he is said to have become involved in an argument with his father, young Spayde said he went to the rear of the home and fired a .22 caliber revolver at his step-mother through a window. She was not injured.
Young Spayde told deputy Sherriff Freemen that he obtained the gun from his mother who is divorced and lives in Bellville.
[Mansfield News Journal (Mansfield, Ohio) January 25, 1939]

Faced with four possible charges, Carl Spayde, 20, Knox county farm youth, was indicted for shooting with intent to wound. The charge grew out of a shooting affray Monday night at a "belling" party for Spayde's father, Fred Spayde, at his home near Bellville. The youth allegedly fired a revolver at his 23-year old stepmother, with whom he admitted "keeping company" before she was married to his father about two weeks ago. Young Spayde fled in his father's car after the shooting. He admitted forging a $20 check to purchase clothes for the party.
[Mansfield News Journal (Mansfield, Ohio) January 27, 1939]

Carl Spayde, 20, of near Amity, Knox county, pleaded guilty to an indictment for shooting with intent to wound his step-mother last Monday at a "belling" party near Bellville. The girl, who married Spayde's father after "going with" the son, was not injured, Disposition of Spayde's case was continued on the application of Atty. A. S. Beach, counsel for the youth.
[Mansfield News Journal (Mansfield, Ohio) January 28, 1939]

Gets Prison Term for Firing at Stepmother
Knox Youth Sent to O. S. R. For 1 to 20 Years As Result of Shooting at Ex-Sweetheart At 'Belling'
A shot he fired at his stepmother - who had been his sweetheart - put Carl Spayde in Ohio state reformatory today, under sentence of one to 20 years.
The 20-year-old Knox county farm hand was sentenced in a shooting that took place during a "belling" party two weeks ago at her home near Bellville.
Spayde had pleaded guilty a week ago to an indictment for shooting with intent to wound, and Prosecutor G. W. Marriott revealed today that the grand jury returned secret indictments against the youth on charges of forgery, carrying concealed weapons and operating a car without the owner's consent.
Soon after his arrest the day after the shooting at the "belling" party, Spayde admitted to county authorities that he fired a revolver through a window at his stepmother, Mrs. Ann Spayde, 23, after he had been ordered form her home.
Before going to the party, the youth said he forged the name of his father, Fred Spayde, to a $20 check to buy new clothes. Following the shooting, the younger Spayde fled in his father's car and was captured later near Amity, Knox county. The father and young Spayde's sweetheart were married about three weeks ago. [
Mansfield News Journal (Mansfield, Ohio) February 4, 1939]

Mansfield, Ohio, Oct. 5, 1939
37311. Carl Spayde, a prisoner now confined in the Ohio State Reformatory, Mansfield, Ohio, admitted from Richland County, Case No. 4285, Doc. No. 12, convicted February 6, 1939 of the crime of Shooting With Intent to Wound and serving a sentence of 1 to 20 Yrs. is eligible for a hearing before the Ohio Pardon and Parole Commission on or after December 1, 1939.
OHIO PARDON AND PAROLE COMMISSION -- A. C. Forsyth. Parole and Record Clerk. (Oct. 17, 24, No '39)
[Mansfield News Journal (Mansfield, Ohio) October 17, 1939]

Action by Commission Most Extensive This Year; Two From County in Group.
The Ohio Pardon and parole commission granted Christmas paroles today to 183 Mansfield reformatory inmates, including two from Richland county, but the paroles won't be good until after the holidays.
The commission's action in releasing 175 prisoners outright and granting eight others conditional releases was one of its most extensive of the year.
Richland countians granted paroles were Carl Spayde; sentenced to one to 20 years for shooting with intent to wound, and Samuel Bender, received at the reformatory Dec. 24, 1934, to serve a one-to-15 year term for burglary.
Spayde will be released next May 1 and Bender on April 1 if county authorities do not want him on another charge. His case will be referred to the county, the commission said.
[Mansfield News Journal (Mansfield, Ohio) December 12, 1939 - submitted by Ida Maack Recu]

Kenneth Spayde today pleaded not guilty to a statutory charge filed against him by Frieda Bowman when arraigned before Judge R. E. Hutchison in municipal court today. Hearing in the case was set for Monday morning by Judge Hutchison. Spayde was released under bond of $500. He is represented by Attorney C. J. Kalbfleisch.
[The Mansfield News (Mansfield, OH) Aug 22, 1934]

Kenneth Spayde, of near Bellville, charged with a statutory offense, was bound over to the grand jury under $500 bond today, following preliminary hearing before Municipal Judge R. E, Hutchison. [The Mansfield News (Mansfield, OH) August 27, 1934]

Action Taken By Court Averts Scheduled Jury Trial.
A statutory complaint brought against Kenneth Spayde by Frieda Bowman was dismissed today in common pleas court. Spayde was to have gone on trial before a jury yesterday. A dismissal order filed in court said Judge C. H. Huston sustained an application by the complainant to withdraw the charge and also a defense motion of dismissal. Charles W. Chew was attorney for the complainant and G. E. Kalbfleisch for Spayde.
[Mansfield News Journal (Mansfield, OH) April 19, 1935 - sub by Ida Maack Recu]

HABITUAL CRIMINAL'S LIFE ENDS - re: Charles Wolford, Walter Clever, Hortense Shafer


Copyright © Genealogy Trails