Announcement has been made here of the marriage of Mary Marie Taylor, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lisle Taylor, to Carl Alfrey, son of Mr. and Mrs. Luther Alfrey, of Shiloh. The ceremony took place at the Methodist church in Shiloh, Jan. 10, with Rev. Wintermute officiating.
The bride wore a street length dress of royal blue with black accessories. Her corsage was made of white rosebuds.
Following the ceremony, a reception was held at the home of the bridegroom's parents, with members of the immediate families present.
Alfrey and his bride are both employed at the North Electric Manufacturing company here. She was graduated from Springfield township high school at Ontario. He was graduated from Shiloh high school.
[Mansfield News Journal (Mansfield, Ohio) January 16, 1942 - submitted by Ida Maack Recu]
Open church was observed for the wedding of Miss Phyllis Spayde, 75 Sycamore street, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Guy E. Spayde, of Mt. Vernon, and Clare Applegate, West Fourth street. son of Mr. and Mrs. George Applegate, of Mifflin, which was solemnized this afternoon at 4:30 o'clock at South Main Street Evangelical church. Rev. LeRoy Deininger, pastor, officiated for the single-ring service before the altar which was banked with palms and ferns. Cathedral candles burned in seven-branched candelabra, to which sprays of flowers were fastened. As the guests assembled, Miss Pauline Statler, organist, played "O Promise Me" and Ah Sweet Mystery of Life," and Miss Geraldine Harley sang "I Love You Truly." Lohengrin's Wedding March was played for the processional. Miss Spayde was escorted to the altar and given in marriage by her father. She wore a navy blue crepe jacket frock, pink accessories and navy slippers. Her round bouquet was formed of larkspur, Briarcliffe roses, yellow daisies and feverfew. Mrs. Pete Pashellich, a sister of the bride, was matron of honor and was attired in a navy print frock and white accessories. She carried a hand bouquet of pink snapdragons, Talisman roses and sweet peas. Lowell Goard acted as best man for Mr. Applegate, and Raymond Bronson served as usher. Mr. Applegate and his bride left immediately after the ceremony for a wedding trip to West Virginia, after which they will be at home to friends at 18 1/2 Penn avenue. Mrs. Applegate, a graduate of the Bellville high school, is employed at the Citizen's National Bank and Trust company, while Mr. Applegate, who was graduated from Mansfield high school, and attended Ohio State university for two years, is employed at the Dominion Electric company. Out-of-town guests for the wedding were Mr. and Mrs. Guy Spayde, of Mt. Vernon; Mr. and Mrs. George Applegate, Mr. and Mrs. Wayne Applegate, of Mifflin; Mr. and Mrs. Keith Applegate and family, of Lucas; Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Myers, Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Kochheiser and family, Mr. and Mrs. Gaylord Myers and family, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Myers and family, of Bellville, and Mr. and Mrs. D. D. Watkins, of Thornville. [Mansfield News Journal (Mansfield, Ohio) April 30, 1936 - sub by Ida Maack Recu]
Paul I. Berno Takes Bride In Formal Double Ring Ceremony
On Thursday at 10 a.m. Paul I. Berno took as his bride Miss Betty Louise Lamb in St. Peter's Catholic church, with Msgr. R. C. Goebel officiating for the double ring ceremony.
The bride, who has been residing at 586 Arlington Ave., is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Donald Lamb, of Canal Winchester. Mr. Berno is the son of the late Mr. and Mrs. William Berno.
Miss Lamb was escorted by her father to the altar, which was decorated with white candles and poinsettias. She chose for her wedding an ivory satin gown, which had been worn previously by her sister, Mrs. Leo Lamb. It was fashioned with a sweetheart neckline edged in lace and long sleeves. The full skirt was gathered at the waist. Her finger-tip length veil was held in place with small pearl clusters. She carried a white orchid with ivy streamers.
Preceding the bride to the altar was her college roommate, Miss Margaret Huck, Cleveland. She was gowned in an American Beauty shade and carried an arrangement of Talisman roses with maline. Her headdress was made of matching flowers with net.
The bridesmaids, the Misses Ann and Helen Focke, Dayton, twin nieces of the bridegroom, wore jade green faille taffeta gowns fashioned with tight fitting bodices and full skirts. The skirts had inserts of pleated net from waist to hemline. The young women carried yellow roses and wore matching flowers in their hair.
Joseph A. Berno, Cleveland, served his brother as best man. Guests were ushered to their places by James Degnan, of Detroit, brother-in-law of the bridegroom; Leo D. Lamb, of Canal Winchester, brother of the bride; A. B. Ritzenthaler and George S. Condos.
Raymond Baum presided at the organ for the nuptial music.
For her daughter's wedding, Mrs. Lamb chose a rose dress with a rose and black hat and black accessories.
Christmas decorations were used in the Mansfield-Leland hotel, where a reception was held for 200 guests from 2 to 4 p.m. The hostesses were Mrs. Richard Bowerman, Oxford; Mrs. Paul Ernsberger, Westerville; Miss Patricia Cronin, of Minerva; and Miss Mary Grace Clark. The Misses Elaine Miller, Cleveland, and Constance Berno, of Detroit, were in charge of the guest book.
For a wedding trip to Bermuda, the bride changed to a light blue wool dress with navy accessories. She is a graduate of Canal Winchester high school and Ohio university and was employed as district home service director at the Ohio Fuel gas Co.
Mr. Berno is a graduate of Mansfield Senior high school and Georgetown university, He is director of merchandising at the Tappan Stove Co.
The couple will be at home at 388 Park Avenue West after Jan. 12. Out-of-town guests were present from Canal Winchester, Columbus, Cleveland, Dayton, Lancaster, Grosse Point, Mich.; Kansas City, Mo.; Philadelphia, Pa.; Biloxi, Miss.; and Detroit, Mich [Mansfield News Journal (Mansfield, Ohio) December 30, 1951 - Sub by Ida Maack Recu]
Grandparents Announce Marriage of July 12
Mr. and Mrs. Ray Karshner are announcing the marriage of their granddaughter, Miss June Delong, to Richard Clever, son of Mr. and Mrs. Llyod Clever, Lexington. The ceremony was performed at Greenup, KY., July 2. Mrs. Clever is a graduate of the Laurelville high school and Mr. Clever is a graduate of Lexington high school. They are making their home near Laurelville. [Mansfield News Journal (Mansfield, Ohio) August 11, 1938 - sub by Ida Maack Recu]
Miss Carrie Minard and Fred Clever were united in marriage Christmas night by the Rev. Mr. Myers at the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Elzie Minard, four miles west of Bellville. Little Grace McBride played the wedding march on the violin, accompanied by her mother. Those present were Mr. and Mrs. John Clever and daughters Ruth and Bessie, and sons Harold and Paul, Mr. and Mrs. Ray Frye, Mr. and Mrs. S. A. Clever, Walter Clever and Miss Hortense Shafer, Miss Minnie Armstrong, Mr. and Mrs. Jenner McBride and daughter, Grace. The house was beautifully decorated and an elegant supper was served. ["The Mansfield News" (Mansfield, OH) December 27, 1912 - Sub by Ida Maack Recu]
Miss Lisbeth Simpson Ott, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Louis John Ott, 579 Woodhill Rd., was wed Saturday to David Leslie Clever in a candlelight ceremony at the First United Presbyterian Church. Dr. J. Calvin Winder performed the 8 p.m. double ring ceremony. The bride chose her sister, Mrs. Ernst Schuster, to be matron of honor. The Misses Allyson Muller, Barbara Eckert, and Iris Harris were her attendants. Sidney Young stood at the altar as best man, and Larry Clever, the bridegroom's brother, John Cokinos, Loren Culp and Rick Welch ushered guests to their seats. A reception for 200 guests was held at the Westbrook Country Club immediately following the ceremony. The bride, a graduate of Malabar High School, attended Aurett College, Danville, Va. She is employed in the accounting department of Farmers Savings and Trust. Mr. Clever, son of Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Clever, 67 Clever Lane, Lexington, was graduated from Lexington High School and earned a bachelor of arts degree in economics from Denison University where he was a member of Alpha Tau Omega Fraternity. He is a management trainee at United Telephone Co. of Ohio. The couple will be living at 537 Crescent Road, Apt. 1. ["Mansfield News Journal" (Mansfield, Ohio) August 14, 1969 - Sub by Ida Maack Recu]
CLEVER - SMITH
Tell of Marriage Service May 29
Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd Clever, of near Lexington, announce the marriage of their son, Gerald W. Clever, to Miss Mildred J. Smith, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Fred B. Smith, of Findlay. The wedding took place, May 29, at Fort Wayne, Ind. Mrs. Clever was graduated from the Findlay high school and Fort Wayne Business college, and has been employed in the office of the Prudential Insurance company at Findlay, while Mr. Clever was graduated from Lexington high school and attended Indiana Tech. He is employed at the South Park street Kroger store. The couple will make their home in Mansfield. ["Mansfield News Journal" (Mansfield, Ohio) June 11, 1936 - Sub by Ida Maack Recu]
Samuel A. Clever, of Bellville, and Marie L. Touby, of Bellville, Rev. Paullin, officiating clergyman. [The Mansfield News (Mansfield, Oho) August 25, 1910]
FRANCES J. COSSUM WEDS ANDREW CLEVER
Couple Exchanges Nuptial Vows on Jan. 24 In Open Church Ceremony at Tenth Avenue Baptist Church Ceremony at Tenth Avenue Baptist Church In Columbus at 3 P. M.
In the Tenth Avenue Baptist church in Columbus on Jan. 24 Miss Frances Jean Cossum, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wilford Cossum of Columbus, exchanged nuptial vows with Andrew Franklin Clever, of Columbus, son of Mr. and Mrs. Leland R. Clever of near Mansfield. Rev. Harry G. Ford performed the ceremony at 3 p.m. before an altar attractively decorated with palms, ferns, a beauty basket of mixed flowers and two seven branched candelabra.
Miss Barbara Thornburg, vocalist, and a student at Miami university, and Mrs. Kenneth Probasco, organist, furnished nuptial music preceding and during the ceremony. For her wedding the bride wore a formal gown of ivory satin fashioned princess style with a sweetheart neckline and leg-o-mutton sleeved. The neckline was trimmed with lace taken from the wedding dress of her grandmother, Mrs. E. B. Doster. Her fingertip veil was attached to a tiara of orange blossoms and old lace and she carried an arm bouquet of yellow roses and white sweet peas centered with gardenias. Her only jewelry was a gold locket, a gift of the bridegroom.
Miss Marie De Spelder, maid of honor, and the Misses Harriett and Caroline Cossum, sisters of the bride, who served as bridesmaids, wore gowns fashioned alike. Miss De Spelder, attired in powder blue, carried an arm bouquet of pink carnations. Miss Harriett Cossum wore aqua and Miss Caroline Cossum rose petal pink. They carried arm bouquets of spring flowers. Each girl wore a gold bracelet, a gift of the bride, and a tiara of flowers in her hair.
Miss Janet Doster, flower girl, wore a floor length frock of baby blue shadow organdy. She carried a basket of rose petals tied with a pink ribbon and wore a ring, a gift of the bride. Master Arthur Rogers, in navy blue and white, carried the ring on a white satin pillow. Ernest Kestner of Ashland was Mr. Clever's best man. Ushers were David Cossum, Dean Lemley, Robert Ringer and Mervin Scott of this city and Kenneth Thomas of Ashland.
Mrs. Cossum appeared at her daughter's wedding in a grey green redingote with brown accessories and a shoulder corsage of pink roses. Mrs. Clever wore a navy blue crepe frock with black accessories and a corsage of pink rosebuds. Following a reception at the home of the bride's parents the couple left for a wedding trip in Florida. They are residing temporarily at 174 Chittenden avenue.
Mrs. Clever was graduated from North high school in Columbus and majored in foreign languages when she attended Ohio State university. Mr. Clever was graduated from Ashland high school and will receive his degree from the College of Agriculture at Ohio State University on March 20. [The Mansfield News (Mansfield, Ohio) February 27, 1942 - sub by Ida Maack Recu]
Luther D. Earl and Miss Pearl Dick were quietly married at the residence of the Rev. N. H. Loose Saturday evening. Both reside near Shelby. ["Mansfield News", Mansfield, Oh; Jan 2, 1900]
Married - Zimmers --- Eddie - At the residence of J. Q. Cowen and M. Zimmers, in Haven township, on November 13th, 1877, by Rev. Wm. Learned, Miss Lizzie Zimmers, late of Bellville, Ohio, and Mr. John Eddie, of this county.
"Nor for this span of life alone, Which as a blast doth fly, And like the transient flower of grass, Just blossoms, droops and die;
But for a being without end, This vow of love they took; Grant them, Oh, God! One home at last, For our Redeemers sake." ["Hutchinson News", Hutchinson, KS - Nov 22, 1877, Page 3, Column 3 - Sub by Rose Stout]
First Methodist church was the scene of a pretty wedding ceremony Saturday evening, Sept. 1, when Martha E. Bailey, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Charles H. Spayde, and Robert L. Flohr exchanged nuptial vows at 7:30. The bridegroom is the son of Mrs. Olive Flohr and the late David Flohr. The Rev. C. L. Yoder read the double-ring service before a large group of relatives and friends. The ceremony was preceded by a program of nuptial music presented by Mrs. Dewey Jackson, church organist, and Mrs. Peter Kemle, soloist. Altar decorations were baskets of gladioli arranged against a background of ferns and palms. The bride, who was escorted to the altar and given in marriage by her brother, Lloyd Spayde, was attired in a two-piece street-length dress of champagne-colored satin fashioned with a fitted bodice, small rolled collar and short-cuffed sleeves. The skirt was made with a full flare. Her small velvet hat was trimmed with rhinestones and had a short veil. She wore a rhinestone necklace with matching earrings, the gift of the bridegroom. Her shoulder corsage was comprised of Talisman roses. Miss Naomi Spayde was maid of honor for her sister. She wore a sunset blue satin frock styled similarly to that of the bride. Her accessories wee black and her small black velvet hat had a short veil. Her corsage was also of roses. Frank Glauer served as best man. Ushers were David Flohr, brother of the bridegroom, and Paul Spayde, the bride's brother. Following the ceremony, a reception for invited friends and relatives was held in the church parlors. The Deborah society of the church was in charge. When the couple left for a week's wedding trip to Niagara Falls and other eastern points of interest, the bride was attired in a gray wool suit which she wore with black accessories. At her shoulder was pinned her bridal corsage. They are now at home at 301 Patterson St. The bridegroom is an employe of the Pennsylvania Railroad Co. [Mansfield News Journal (Mansfield, Ohio) September 9, 1951 - sub by Ida Maack Recu]
Margaret Rust Wed In Newark Ceremony
A former Mansfield resident, Miss Margaret Ellen Rust, was wed Friday morning to Carl Thomas Grimm in the chapel of First United Presbyterian Church at Newark. The bride, who has been residing at 237 Hudson Ave., Newark, is the daughter of Mrs. H. M. Rust, 87 Harvard Ave., and the late Atty. Rust. Parents of the bridegroom are Mr. and Mrs. Carl C. Grimm, 37 Poplar Ave., Newark. Dr. John W. Halsey solemnized the 10:30 a.m. rite.
The bride wore a gray wool knit dress complemented with a small pillbox of iridescents. Mrs. Lyonel N. Mullin served as the bride's only attendant and Barry D. Swisher carried out the duties of best man. Guests were ushered to their places by Lyonel N. Mullin. Seventy-five guests were received in the church lounge following the ceremony.
When the new Mr. and Mrs. Grimm return from a wedding trip to Burr Oak State Park, they will reside at 237 Hudson Ave., Newark. The bride, a children's librarian at Newark Public Library was graduated from Mansfield Senior High School. She received her bachelor of arts degree from Muskingum College and her master of library science degree from Kent State University. Mr. Grimm, an employe of Phelps - Dodge Magnet Wire Co. at Newark, is an alumnus of Newark High School. [News Journal (Mansfield, Ohio) January 24, 1971 - sub by Ida Maack Recu]
Susannah Hazlett, daughter of George Washington Hazlett and Catharine (Gray) Hazlett married John M. Kunkle on 16 Oct 1845 in Mansfield, Richland County, Ohio. [Submitted by Rachel Goodman]
Fredericktown -- Fredericktown Presbyterian church was the scene of an informal wedding Sunday afternoon as Miss Jane McGugin became the bride of Staff Sergeant Dean Lemley. Red carnations decorated the candle lighted altar and Mr. John Wiggins played appropriate organ music during the ceremony, which was performed by Rev. G. O. Brown. The bride wore a street length dress of spring green with black accessories and her shoulder corsage was a single camelia with a shower of white rose petals. Following the ceremony which was witnessed by the immediate family, the young couple left for a honeymoon trip. On their return Mrs. Lemley will continue her work as secretary to Supt. McConagha of the Fredericktown school and Sergt. Lemley will return to Lubbock Flying Field, Lubbock, Tex., where he is stationed. Both the bride and bridegroom graduated from Fredericktown High school and Mrs. Lemley attended Muskingum College and Sergt. Lemley graduated from Indianapolis School of Commercial Art and Design. ["Mansfield News-Journal" (Mansfield, Ohio) February 9, 1943 - sub. by Ida Maack Recu]
Isabella Hazlett, daughter of George Washington Hazlett and Catharine (Gray) Hazlett married Henry W. Long on 27 Dec 1853 in Mansfield, Richland County, Ohio [Submitted by Rachel Goodman]
A wedding of great interest in the social circles of Mansfield is that of Miss Alma Geneve Henne and Louis P. Massa, which was solemnized at high mass at 8:30 o'clock this morning before the altar of St. Peter's Catholic church. The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. G. W. Henne, 681 Park avenue west, and the groom the son of Mr. and Mrs. John A. Massa, Sr., 147 West First street.
St. Peter's church was beautifully arranged for the wedding party, tall cathedral candles burning against a lovely background of palms and pink roses. The words of the ceremony were read by the Rev. Karl Brand and the solo numbers of the mass were sung by Mrs. H. A. Criqui. She also sang "Yesterday and Today" by Charles Gilbert Stross. Mrs. Frank Westrick presided at the organ.
The bride, for whom a series of charming parties have been given the past ten days, was lovely in a frock created of deep cream georgette and cream lace. The only color was the sash of rose and blue and the touch of those shades in trimming of the cream colored picture hat. She wore the gift of the groom, a ring of platinum set with 15 diamonds and carried a bouquet of pink roses, showered with streamers of pink and blue ribbon.
In attendance were Miss Donna Henne and John Massa, Jr. Miss Henne's pretty frock was fashioned of peach georgette and trimmed with blue beads. Her picture hat of the same shade also carried a touch of blue. Pink roses, tied with a bow of tulle, gave the finishing touch to this pretty costume.
Following the wedding hour about fifty guests were invited to the Henne home for breakfast where roses were also used in decoration, great bouquets being arranged against a background of green ferns and palms. Covers were placed for 16 members of the immediate families of the bride and groom at the bridal table. The wedding cake was used as the centering piece and wound this was banked a profusion of roses. The place cards were little kewpies each holding a wedding ring, while nut baskets were also dainty affairs in pink. Pink tapers in crystal holders lighted the scene.
On their return from an extended trip in the west, Mr. and Mrs. Massa will make their home at 120 West First street. The bride attended school at Ursuline academy, Toledo, and the groom who attended the school of engraving at Laucester, Pa., has a position in the time department of the Mansfield Rubber company.
Guests from a distance who came to Mansfield to be in attendance at the wedding were Mr. and Mrs. William Hubbard, Mr. and Mrs. James Marshall and family, Mr. and Mrs. W. F. Henne and family of Piqua, J. C. Henne and family of Columbus, Mr. and Mrs. M. E. Hubbard and family of Toledo, Mr. and Mrs. W. G. Henne and family, and Mr. and Mrs. D. T. Henne of Youngstown, Mrs. Theresa Henne of Troy and Mr. and Mrs. Butler of New Jersey. - [The Mansfield News (Mansfield, Ohio) May 7, 1919 - sub by Ida Maack Recu]
Merrel [Mearl] Nichols and Miss Fern Maglott were married Sunday at the bride's home in Washington township. [The Mansfield News (Mansfield, Ohio) December 21, 1910 - submitted by Ida Maack Recu]
The banns were read at St. Peter's Catholic church Sunday for the first time for the nuptials of Louis Ott, a well-known young jeweler of this city, and Miss Rose Menninger, a charming Bucyrus young lady who has visited here often and is well known. The wedding will be solemnized at Bucyrus, Wednesday, Oct. 15. [The Mansfield News (Mansfield, Ohio) September 29, 1902- sub. by Ida Maack Recu]
Louis A. Ott, the jeweler, son of Councilman and Mrs. Peter Ott, was united in marriage this morning at the Catholic church at Bucyrus with Miss Rose Menninger, daughter of John Menninger. The bridesmaid was Miss Rosalia Ott, sister of the groom and the groomsman was Fred Walter, of this city. The bride has visited here on various occasions and is well and very favorably known. Mr. Ott and his bride left for Chicago and other points on their wedding trip and on their return will reside in this city. A number of relatives from Mansfield, including Mr. and Mrs. Peter Ott, Miss Rosalia Ott and others attended the wedding. [The Mansfield News (Mansfield, Ohio) October 14, 1902]
VOWS EXCHANGED FRIDAY
A reception is planned at the YWCA Lounge next Sunday for the former Miss Irene Karen Ray and Robert Fred Palm who were wed Friday evening in First United Presbyterian Church, Lexington.
The bride, who resided at 191 West Second St., and her husband were honored at a buffet dinner at the home of Mr. and Mrs. L. J. Snyder immediately following the ceremony.
The Rev. William Arnott performed the closed ceremony for the daughter of Mrs. Irene Sabourin, 1478 South Lascerne Ct., and the son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Blake Palm, Lexington, RD 7. The bride also is the daughter of the late Paul Ray.
Attending the couple were Mr. and Mrs. Larry R. MInard.
After a wedding trip to an undisclosed destination, the newlywed couple will live at Lexington, RD 7.
Both the bride and Mr. Palm majored in accounting at Mansfield Business College. She also is a graduate of Mansfield Senior High School and is employed in the accounting department of the Empire-Reeves Steel Corp. The bridegroom, an employe in the quotations department of Shelby Business Forms Co., also attended the International Automation Institute and is a member of the 179th Ohio Air National Guard. [Mansfield News Journal (Mansfield, Ohio) September 14, 1969 - sub by Ida Maack Recu]
Miss Patricia Lea Dill became the bride of Norman Gilbert Perrill Saturday afternoon during a double ring ceremony solemnized by the Rev. Willaim Newman at First Christian Church. The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. R. Trent Dill, 67 Stewart Ave. Parents of the bridegroom are Mrs. Helen Perrill, 332 Davis Rd., and Mr. Herbert Perrill, Washington Courthouse. Mrs. Pete Congwer preceded the bride to the altar as matron of honor. Bridesmaids were Mrs. Nancy Dill, Mrs. Cathy Ford, Miss Pam Krise and Miss Jacque Sue Pelasky. Michael Short carried out the duties of best man, Ushers were Rodger Kimmel Jr., Vernon Ford, Dennis Creamer and David Simmon. After a wedding trip to Michigan and Canada, the couple will reside at 30 Winchester Rd., Apt. 22. The bride is employed at the Dominion Electric Corp. and her husband is an employe of Lazarus' Automotive Dept. [News Journal (Mansfield, OH) May 6, 1970 - sub by Ida Maack Recu]
Married Dec. 25, at the residence of Mrs. William Marshall, two miles northwest of Ontario, by the Rev. B. F. Bell, Mr. Arthur Pierce and Miss Flora Marshall. [The Evening News, Mansfield, O., Jan 4 (1890?)]
Miss Joan Louise Perl Wed To H. W. Plohr
Miss Joan Louise Perl was one of the loveliest brides of the season Saturday when she was married to Henry Warren Plohr at St. Peter's Catholic church parish house. Msgr. R. C. Goebel officiated for the simple impressive ceremony which was witnessed by the immediate families. The bride is the daughter of Mrs. August Robert Perl, 376 Park avenue west. Mr. Plohr is the son of Mrs. Henry William Plohr of Mt. Lebanon, Pa.
Miss Perl was given in marriage by her brother, Frederick Walter Perl. She was attired in a beautiful gown of light ivory Skinner's satin, trimmed with imported Chantilly lace. The gown was fashioned with a wide open neckline which was finished with a band of satin, edged in lace. The lace was repeated in another wide band at her waistline and up through the bodice of her gown. A cascade of wide lace and a band of satin fell from the front of the gown, forming a panel effect into the sides of the skirt, extending the full length of the gown.
She wore detachable mitts of Chantilly lace which came above her elbows. The same lace was used in her little open crown headpiece which was edged in pearls and held her full French silk illusion fingertip veil.
The bride was attended by Mrs. Frederick Walter Perl, her sister-in-law, who served as matron of honor, and Mrs. William Geyer of Santa Monica, Calif., a close friend, who served as bridesmaid. The attendants were attired in like-styled gowns of summer pink, fashioned with wide open necklines edges in full ruffles over the shoulders. The skirts were styled with three tiers of ruffles and worn over hoops. The gowns were made of starched marquisette. Little mitts completed their costume.
Worn with the gowns were large picture hats of hairbraid in the same summer pink. They were trimmed with an assortment of June flowers.
The bride's bouquet was a cascade arrangement of roses and shattered carnations, centered with a white Camhamiana orchid. The attendants carried small hairbraid baskets in pink with arrangements of June garden flowers.
Serving as best man was Roger Perl, a friend of the bridegroom. The ushers were Richard Saxton of Cleveland, a fraternity brother of the bridegroom, and Burt Taylor of Cleveland.
For her daughter's wedding, Mrs. Perl chose a pearl grey sheer street length dress fashioned with a draped side. Her accessories were shell pink. She wore a corsage of Camhamiana orchids. Mrs. Plohr wore an aquamarine crepe dress with brown accessories and a corsage of bronze orchids.
Immediately following the ceremony a breakfast for twenty-five guests was served at the Westbrook County Club. The breakfast table was decorated with pastel flowers and huckleberry. Centering the U-shaped table was the wedding cake.
From 2 to 4 p.m. the reception was held, also at the Country Club. One hundred guests attended. They were received near the mantel of the drawing room. The screening of the fireplace was decorated with fern and huckleberry. On either side were beauty baskets of white peonies. The club room was decorated with vases of lovely pastel flowers.
Guests were served buffet style from a table set with crystal candelabra and arrangements of white flowers. Huckleberry and garlands of similax were used to drape the banquet cloth. A many-tiered wedding cake, topped with a miniature bride and bridegroom, centered the table. The Misses Helen and Ann Focke, twin daughters of Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Focke of Dayton presided at the punch bowl. Miss Doris Plohr, the bridegroom's sister, served the wedding cake. A program of nuptial music was provided by Mrs. Frederick Walter, violinist, and Mrs. Richard Wolford, who presided at the console organ.
When the newlyweds left for a motor trip to Georgian Bay and New York, the bride wore an oyster white gabardine suit with brown accessories. She carried a white topper. After July 15 they will be at home at 2252 Northland avenue, Lakewood.
The bride is a graduate of St. Mary's Academy and Carnegie Institute of Technology, where she received her degree in costume designing. She was affiliated with Sigma Kappa sorority. The bridegroom graduated from Carnegie Institute of Technology, with an aeronautical engineering degree. He was affiliated with Beta Theta Pi fraternity.
He served three years as a pilot with the Air Force, overseas, where he attained the rank of First Lieutenant. He is employed as an Aeronautical Research Scientist at the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics, Cleveland.
Out-of-town guests were present from Pittsburgh, Dayton, Delaware, O., Chicago, Detroit, and Santa Monica, Calif.
Miss Perl has been feted by many friends with parties during the last few months. Miss Carolyn Walter gave an announcement tea at her home, Mrs. Frederick Perl, sister-in-law of the bride, gave a dessert bridge and kitchen shower.
Mrs. Leo Perl entertained twenty-two guests with a picnic and pantry shower. Paul Berno gave a cocktail party and buffet supper for thirty guests, June 18. Mrs. William Geyer feted the bride with a spinster dinner at the Westbrook Country Club Thursday evening. Mrs. Walter Perl honored the bride with a rehearsal party for her attendants Friday evening. [Mansfield News Journal (Mansfield, Ohio) June 26, 1949 - sub by Ida Maack Recu]
Sherman W. Valentine and Delcenia Pollock at the parsonage of the English Lutheran church by Dr. H. L. Wiles on Jan 8. at 8:30 o'clock. [The Evening News, Jan 9 (1891?)]
Andrew Rust Takes Bride In Indiana Church Rite
St. John's Presbyterian Church, New Albany, Ind., was the setting for the wedding of Miss Martha Jane Sawyer and Andrew Stephen Rust. The couple was married during a double ring, closed church rite performed by the Rev. William Erwin at 4:30 p.m. Parents of the newlyweds are Mr. and Mrs. Clifford L. Sawyer, 2207 Newmarket Dr., Louisville, Ky., and Mr. and Mrs. Arquette Rust Jr., 120 Stewart Ave. Preceding her sister to the altar as her only attendant for the June 6 wedding was Miss Jean Sawyer. Robert J. Rossi served his brother-in-law as best man, Ushering guests to their places were Elgin Crull and William Hunter. Following the ceremony the couple greeted friends and relatives at a reception at Holiday Inn, Louisville.
The newlyweds are making their home at 2011 Charlestown Rd., New Albany. [News Journal (Mansfield, Ohio) July 6, 1970 - submitted by Ida Maack Recu]
Speak Nuptial Vows In Church Services: First United Presbyterian Church was the scene at noon Dec. 23 of the wedding of Miss Margery Keating Ott to Mr. Ernst Schuster, 554 Woodward Ave., Ridgewood, N. Y. Performing the double-ring, closed church ceremony was Dr. J. Calvin Winder.
The bride was given in marriage by her father. Her parents are Mr. and Mrs. Louis John Ott, 759 Woodhill Rd. The bridegroom is the son of Mrs. George Secularac, Graz, Austria, and the late Mr. Louis Schuster.
Serving as maid of honor was Miss Carol Archibald, Reedsville, Pa., college roommate of the bride. Sister of the bride, Miss Lisbeth Ott, was bridesmaid. Presiding at the guest book was Miss Kathe Ott, cousin of the bride.
Mr. Joseph Sigmund, Ridgewood, N. Y., was best man. Sharing ushering duties were Mr. Jim Bishop, Columbus; Mr. Richard Ott, Ann Arbor, Mich., cousin of the bride, and Mr. Frank Lusignan, Boulder, Col.
Immediately following the ceremony, a wedding breakfast for 75 guests was served at the Mansfield-Leland Hotel.
The couple took a short eastern trip, are planning a future trip to Austria. They are residing at 320 East 58th St., New York City, N. Y. The bride, a graduate of Katherine Gibbs School, New York City, N. Y., is an executive secretary for the Packaging Machinery Manufacturers Institute, New York City, N. Y. Presently attending Hunter College, the bridegroom is a junior accountant for the 7-Up Export Co., N. Y. [News Journal (Mansfield, Ohio) January 6, 1966 - sub by Ida Maack Recu]
Of interest to many Mansfield relatives and friends was the wedding today at 2 o'clock of Miss Carolyn B. Shafer of Bellville, and Rev. Frank F. Secrist of Toledo, which was solemnized at the St. Paul's Lutheran church of Bellville, with Rev. C. W. Cassel officiating. The bride, who is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. A. Shafer, of Bellville, was attended by Edith Secrist, as maid of honor, and by her sister, Mrs. Walter Clever. Leona Swank was flower girl, Albert Secrist as best man, and Mr. Clever, were in attendance to Rev. Secrist. Preceding the ceremony, Mrs. Cassel presided at the piano and played "Melody in F" by Rubenstein and Drdla's "Souvenir," using the Lohengrin Wedding march to announce the nuptial hour, just before which Clair Hayner sang "Oh Promise Me," "Because" and "I Love You Truly." The bride wore a gown of white crepe, with veil reaching to the hem of her gown and a shower of white roses was carried. Miss Secrist's frock was blue with which she wore corsage bouquet of Columbia roses and sweet peas. Little Leona Swank's dress was of white, trimmed with the shades of pink of blue ribbons used in the attendants' frocks. She carried a bouquet of roses and sweet peas, from which she plucked petals to strew in the path of the bride. The ushers for the wedding were Rev. Christian Wessel of Greenville and Eustice Weltner.
The wedding is another culmination of romance begun in the Bellville high school. Both the bride and groom graduated from Wittenberg college in the spring of 1920. Rev. Secrist later entering Hamma Divinity school, from which he received degree of bachelor of divinity this spring. He is now pastor of the Bethany Mission of Toledo. Mrs. Secrist for the past year was a teacher in the Mansfield high school and previous to that taught in the Bradford high school. During the World war Rev. Secrist served as a member of the 15th Machine Gun Battalion, seeing service in Belgium and northern France, and receiving his discharge on Feb. 13, 1919, after a period of two years. Rev. and Mrs. Secrist will be at home after a wedding trip, at the corner of Upton and Arcadia streets in Toledo.
Mansfield guests who attended were Mr. and Mrs. D. F. Shafer, Mr. and Mrs. Paul Shafer, Mrs. Amanda Brown, Miss Jessie and Miss Emma McElvaine, Miss Sepple Williams, Mr. and Mrs. H. O. Secrist, Dale Harter and Mr. and Mrs. A. E. Bell. ["The Mansfield News" (Mansfield, Ohio) June 27, 1923 - Sub by Ida Maack Recu]
It is reported that Henry Spayde and Miss Flora Brant are to be married on Wednesday of this week. ("The Weekly News" (Mansfield, Ohio) Dec 24, 1891 - sub by Ida Maack Recu)
Miss Clever and James Spitzer To Repeat Nuptial Vows July 23
Miss Paula Catherine Clever and James Robert Spitzer have chosen July 23 as the date for their marriage.
The nuptial vows will be exchanged at 2:30 p.m. in the South Main Street Evangelical United Brethren church. The Rev. Willard J. Shawk will officiate for the formal, open church ceremony.
Miss Clever is the daughter of Mrs. Catherine Clever, 29 State St. Mr. Spitzer is the son of Mr. and Mrs. R. G. Spitzer, 287 Sturges Ave. The bride-elect has chosen Miss Beverly Cramer, a close friend, to serve as her maid of honor. Bridesmaids will be Mrs. George Schwier, sister of Miss Clever, and Miss Judy Clever, also a sister, will be junior bridesmaid.
Serving as best man will be Richard Butts, a friend of the couple. Guests will be escorted to their pews by Stuart Leonard and Philip Pendleton, friends of the couple. Miss Jean Robinson, a close friend, will serve as soloist. She will be accompanied by Miss Pauline Statler, organist. Miss Clever is a graduate of Mansfield Senior high school. Mr. Spitzer, also a graduate of Mansfield senior high school, attended Ashland college. He is an employe of the National Biscuit Co. Listed in Miss Clever's bridal book for showers are two parties. Miss Robinson will entertain in her honor Friday evening. The bride-elect will again be complimented by Miss Cramer the following week. [Mansfield News Journal (Mansfield, Ohio) July 10, 1950 - Sub by Ida Maack Recu]
Formal Service Unites Couple Sunday, July 23
Miss Paula Catherine Clever and James Robert Spitzer repeated marriage vows before the altar of the South Main St. Evangelical United Brethren church Sunday afternoon at 2:30 p.m. Rev. W. J. Shawk officiated for the double ring service. Open church was observed.
The bride is the daughter of the late Paul A. Clever and Mrs. Catherine Clever, 29 State St. The bridegroom is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert G. Spitzer, 287 Sturges Ave.
Palms and ferns with two beauty baskets of white gladioli and blue asters predominating set the nuptial scene inside the church as Miss Pauline Statler performed at the organ and Miss Jean Arlyss Robinson sang several wedding selections. Satin bows marked the family pews. Two seven-branch candelabra furnished a dim illumination. The bride, given in marriage by her brother, John S. Clever, was gowned in white nylon marquisette over summer satin. It was fashioned with a fitted bodice and a marquisette yoke bordered with two rows of lace. The overskirt of marquisette extended into a long train edged with a ruffle of lace. Four rows of lace over a hoop completed the front of the skirt. Sleeves of marquisette came to points over her hands and fastened at the wrists with three satin covered buttons. The fingertip veil extended from a crown of lace clasped at each side with a cluster of orange blossoms. A white pearl necklace was a final adornment. Miss Clever carried a white rose corsage on a white testament with a shower of white satin streamers and sweet peas.
The maid of honor, Miss Beverly Cramer, wore a gown of yellow frosted organdy styled like the bride's with a round neckline and cap sleeves. A yellow taffeta sash was tied in back for a bustle effect. The bridesmaid, Mrs. Doris Schwier of Columbus, wore pink frosted organdy styled like the maid of honor's with a pink taffeta sash. The junior bridesmaid, Judith Ann Clever, sister of the bride, wore white frosted organdy also styled like the maid of honor's with a blue taffeta sash. All the attendants wore headpieces with white ruching. The maid of honor carried an arm bouquet of white gladioli and orchid asters; the bridesmaid carried a Colonial bouquet of yellow roses while the junior bridesmaid carried a Colonial bouquet of pink roses.
The bride's mother was attired in a pink and white sheer print street length dress with black and white accessories. Mother of the bridegroom wore a navy blue and white print sheer street length dress with white accessories. Both completed their attire with white rose corsages.
Richard Dale Butts, close friend of the bride and bridegroom, acted as best man. Philip Pendleton and Stuart Leonard, friends of the bridegroom, served as ushers.
Immediately following the ceremony a reception at the Cleckner Recreation Center, Wooster Rd., was held. The long serving table was centered with a five-tiered all white wedding cake topped with a miniature bride and bridegroom. White and yellow daisies bordered the base of the cake while two single crystal candle holders graced each side of it. Two large trays of assorted mints, two bowls of mixed nuts and two punch bowls completed the table arrangement. Mrs. Richard Miles and Mrs. Ruth Ann McGraw served.
For a wedding trip to a lake resort for a week, the new Mrs. Spitzer chose a navy blue summer suit with pink and white accessories. A white rose corsage was worn.
The couple will reside temporarily at 287 Sturges Ave, after July 31.
The bride is a 1950 graduate of Mansfield Senior high school. Mr. Spitzer, a graduate of Mansfield Senior high school, attended Ashland college. He is now employed at the National Biscuit Co.
Guests from Columbus, Kent, Marion, Westerville, Galion, Bellville, and Caledonia were present for the wedding. Mansfield News Journal (Mansfield, Ohio) July 21, 1950 - sub by Ida Maack Recu)
Yesterday Mansfield's only holiday bride, Miss Edna Bookwalter was married at 1 p.m. at the First Lutheran church to Marvin G. Stevens. The former Miss Bookwalter, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Leroy Bookwalter, 473 Glessner avenue, left with her husband yesterday afternoon on a western trip. The couple will be at home after the first of the year at the Taylor apartments on Park drive. [Mansfield News Journal (Mansfield, Ohio) December 24, 1938 - sub by Ida Maack Recu]
Miss Alberta Spayde, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Spayde and Owen Swank, son of Mr. and Mrs. Bert Swank, were married Wednesday in Canada. They, with Mr. and Mrs. Everett Baker of Mansfield were entertained Wednesday evening in the Spayde home east of town. Mr. and Mrs. Swank will reside in Mansfield where he is employed. [The Mansfield News (Mansfield, Ohio) June 6, 1926 - sub. by Ida Maack Recu]
Cornell Athlete Married
Ithaca, NY, Nov 27 - W. Hubert Tappan of Mansfield, O., who finished second for Cornell in the intercollegiate cross-country race at Boston last week, was married quietly in this city today to Miss Helen Matthews of Toronto, Canada. Tappan, who is a sophomore, intends to quit college in about a month and go into business. He is a member of the Alpa (sic) Delta Phi fraternity. [Omaha daily bee. (Omaha, NE), November 28, 1909, Page 2]
Mansfield Couple Wed Sunday at Lucas Parsonage
Mrs. Hazel Fockler, daughter of W. M. Mehl, West Fourth street road, and Dallas Tupps, of this city, were united in marriage Sunday evening at 6 o'clock, when Rev. R. N. McMichael read the double ring service at the Lutheran parsonage in Lucas.
For her wedding, Mrs. Fockler wore a crepe frock in a light shade of blue, and navy accessories. Her shoulderette was of gardenias. Miss Bertha Zgella and Harold Young attended the couple. Miss Zgella was attired in a navy frock and matching accessories, and she also wore a shoulderette of gardenias.
Following the ceremony, a wedding dinner was served the bridal party and a few guests at Mifflin Inn.
Mr. and Mrs. Tupps will make their home at 234 Vennum avenue. Mrs. Tupps is employed at the Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing company, while Mr. Tupps is a painter and interior decorator. Mansfield News Journal (Mansfield, Ohio) April 20, 1936
PRETTY WEDDING OF POPULAR COUPLE
Marriage of Fred Walter, Jr., and Miss Frieda L. Massa Solemnized at St. Peter's Catholic Church This Morning.
Probably the prettiest wedding that has ever been solemnized in St. Peter's Catholic church was that of Fred Walter, Jr., and Miss Frieda L. Massa at 8 o'clock Tuesday morning. Father Schreiber performing the ceremony. The church was very prettily decorated with palms, ferns and queen lace flowers. The groom was attended by P. J. Kelley and John A. Massa, Jr., and the bride by Miss Dolla Menninger, of Bucyrus, and Miss Marie Berno as bridesmaids. The groom and his attendants approached the altar from the priest's sacristy while the ushers preceded the bridesmaids down the aisle and were followed by the bride with her father, John A. Massa, who gave her in marriage. The bride was beautiful in a gown of crepe meteor over labutal with Princess lace and pearl trimmings. Miss Menninger wore grenadine over pale green messaline and Miss Berno marquisette over pink messaline, each carrying a colonial bouquet.
St. Michael's mass was sung by the choir under the direction of Prof. Albert Bellingham and an oratory duet, Weigand's Ave Maria, was sung by Mrs. William Berno and Sheridan P. Carroll.
A wedding breakfast was served immediately after the ceremony at the home of the bride's parents, 147 West First street, to about forty guests, immediate relatives and friends of the couple. A color scheme of green and white was carried out in the decorations of the home. Covers for twelve were laid at the bride's table and little gold baskets filled with rice were the favors.
The bride is the eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John A. Massa and a charming young lady. Mr. Walter is vice president of the Wagner Hardware company and a popular young man.
Mr. and Mrs. Walter left this afternoon for a wedding trip to Duluth and points up the lakes and on their return will make their home on Sycamore street.
Out of town guests in attendance at the wedding wee Father Schultz of Loudonville; Mrs. John Butler, of Elizabethport, N. J.; Mrs. Louise Scheminger, of Staten Island, N. Y.; Miss Dolla Menninger, of Bucyrus.
[The Mansfield News (Mansfield, Ohio) July 23, 1912 - submitted by Ida Maack Recu]
Bans To Be Published To-Day Announcing the Marriage of Edmund S. Walter and Laura Rhein.
At St. Peter's Catholic church this morning will be published for the first time the bans announcing the marriage which will unite two of the most prominent German families of Mansfield. The contracting parties are Miss Laura J. Rhein, who will be joined in wedlock to Edmund S. Walter, during the celebration of high mass at St. Peter's church, Wednesday, May 27.
The bride is a daughter of George Rhein, Sr., who travels for the Mansfield Machine works. The groom is the elder son of Fred Walter. He is located at Columbia City, Ind., and has charge of his father's interests at that place.
The wedding will be a brilliant event for which elaborate preparations are being made. Guests will be present from Akron, Youngstown, Defiance, Cleveland, Columbia City and other places. At 8 o'clock p.m. of the wedding day a reception will be tendered at the bride's home, 63 West Third street, to a large number of the immediate friends of contracting parties in this city and to the guests from abroad. It will be an occasion of magnificence and splendor. It has been some time since such an auspicious marriage has been solemnized at St. Peter's church and Mr. Walter and Miss Rhein will receive the sincere congratulations of an immense number of friends. [The Evening News (Mansfield, Ohio) May 10, 1891 - submitted by Ida Maack Recu]