Ross County, Ohio
HARRY S. ADAMS
Harry S. Adams, auditor of Ross county, is a native of Franklin county, Pa, born March 11, 1861. His parents were John H. and Ann E. (Stover) Adams, both natives of Pennsylvania and still living at Waynesboro in that state. The father has spent his life principally in hotel-keeping at Greencastle, Pa., also dealing considerably in live stock, making a specialty of horses. He has living a family of four sons and five daughters: Maude, the wife of Harvey Ziegler, Adams express agent at Hagerstown, Md.; Harry S., the subject of this sketch; Ida, widow of Oscar Thompson, at Waynesboro, Pa.; William G., engaged in the stove and tin business at Waynesboro; Charles, employed by the Frick company in building ice machinery and living in Waynesboro; Myrtle, now Mrs. Frank Koontz, of Washington, D. C.; Clara, wife of Lee Deihl, jeweler at Shippensburg, Pa.; Anna, unmarried; Stover D., engaged with the Frick company. Harry S. Adams, the second born of the children, was educated at the Greencastle ( Pa. ) high school. March 19, 1879, he came west and located at Tiffin, Ohio, where he remained for three years in the clothing business Subsequently he took a course in the Cincinnati medical college, and later studied law. He did not, however, enter professional life, and went to Hamilton, where he was in business for several years. The next move was to Chillicothe, where he arrived in April, 1885, and embarked in merchant tailoring as a cutter. In March, 1895, less than ten years after his arrival, he was elected county auditor and took possession of the office on November 19, 1896. He was re-elected in 1898. November 1, 1901, Mr. Adams purchased the business of the Chillicothe Lumber company from S. and C. E. Bice, a foreign corporation. He carries a full line of building materials and operates a planing mill in connection therewith June 27, 1889, Mr. Adams was married to Mattie B., daughter of Elmer H. Clark, a native of Maysville, Ky., but a resident of Chillicothe from childhood. They have one child, Arline C, of eleven years. Mr. Adams, like all the family of that name, is a stanch Republican, has been quite active in politics, and is popular both as an official and private citizen. He is equally prominent and active in fraternity circles. In Masonry he has attained the Knight Templar degrees and is past principal officer in the various lodges of the order. He is a past-grand in Odd Fellowship, and past exalted ruler of the order of Elks. With his wife and daughter he is a member of the Walnut street Methodist Episcopal church in Chillicothe. ["The County of Ross: A History of Ross County, Ohio, from the Earliest Days..., Volume 2; By Henry Holcomb Bennett, pub. 1902]
ROBERT D. ALEXANDER
Robert D. Alexander, city clerk of Chillicothe, was born in that city, February 3, 1879. His father, Robert W. S. Alexander, a native of Danville, Ill., born in 1851, was employed in early manhood for seventeen years as a conductor on various railroads in Ohio, Illinois, Indiana and Wisconsin. About 1870, he located in Chillicothe and followed railroading for some ten years, after which he engaged in the produce business, to which he has since added groceries. He was married in Chicago to Anna Brown, who was born near Milwaukee, Wis., and there grew tip to womanhood. They had a family of six children: Ella M., Robert D., Charles Z., Mabel Elizabeth, (now dead), Earl Scott and Warner Franklin. All are at home except Charles, who is employed in a wholesale mercantile house at Kansas City.
Robert D. Alexander was educated in the public schools of Chillicothe and was graduated from the high school in the class of 1896. In November of the same year, in company with friends, he made a trip through the west, spending one month in Colorado, thence into New Mexico and Lower California for several months' sojourn, returning by way of San Francisco, British Columbia, and Canada, reaching home in June, 1897. In October of the following year he began the study of law under the tutorship of Silas F. Garrett, of Chillicothe, which he continued for about two years. In April, 1901, Mr. Alexander was appointed as a Democrat to the office of city clerk of Chillicothe, for a two years' term. He is a member of the Knights of the Ancient Essenic Order, and attends the First Presbyterian church, being a worker in the Sunday school of the latter; is a young man of excellent habits and popular address, and gives promise of a career of usefulness. ["The County of Ross: A History of Ross County, Ohio, from the Earliest Days..., Volume 2; By Henry Holcomb Bennett, pub. 1902]
William Andree, pastor of the German Methodist Episcopal church, of Chillicothe, is the last of a long line of hard working and zealous ministers that have had charge of this well known house of worship. The church was established in 1840 with a membership of eleven, the first pastor being Rev. J. A. Geiger. For ten years it was a mission, but in 1850, under the ministerial management of Rev. Christian Helwig, the present building was erected at 89 South Mulberry street, since which time the church has been in continuous existence, and at present has a membership of seventy-seven. Mr. Andree was born in Germany, June 16, 1844. He was educated in his native country, and when nineteen years old came with his parents to America. His mother died in the trip over; the father located in Canada, and there William Andree prepared himself for the ministry and preached five years. In 1872, he removed to Goshen, Ind., where he remained two years and then entered upon one of those periods of frequent changes and short sojourns which are characteristic of the itinerant system of the Methodist Episcopal church. From Goshen he went to Lansing, Mich., for three years; to Defiance, O., for a similar term; then to Canal Dover for another three years, succeeded by an equal period at Vermillion. The next appointment in Ohio lasted four years, which was followed by three at Marietta, the same at Akron and Pomeroy and one year at Lawrenceburg, Ind. From the place last mentioned Mr. Andree came in September, 1900, to Chillicothe, where he has since remained. July 4, 1871, he was married in Canada to Miss Elizabeth Mahler, a native of that country, who died April 11, 1891, leaving eight children, seven of whom are living. October 12, 1898, Mr. Andree took a second wife in the person of Mrs. Malinda E. (Unnewehr) Davis, of Batesville, Ind. Herman J. Andree, son by the first marriage, was for six years a student at Buchtel college in Akron, O. In June, 1901, he joined the Baldwin-Zeigler polar expedition, which set out a few days later from one of the Scottish ports in hope of being the first to reach the long sought northern extremity of the earth. ["The County of Ross: A History of Ross County, Ohio, from the Earliest Days..., Volume 2; By Henry Holcomb Bennett, pub. 1902]
HENRY W. ARLEDGE
Henry W. Arledge, a well-to-do-farmer and extensive dealer in stock, is one of the self-made men of Ross county, as His success has been due to his own hard work and perseverance. His parents were Isaac and Polly (Morrison) Arledge, both natives of North Carolina, who came to Vinton county, Ohio, in youth. Having acquired a very fair education for those days, Isaac put it to good use by earning a living as teacher for some years. Eventually he settled down to farming and made that the occupation of his life. He died about 1858, his wife's death having occurred in 1844. They reared a family of twelve children, of whom only three are now living. Henry W. Arledge, ninth of the children, was born in Vinton county, December 12, 1832. In early manhood he went to Missouri, but soon returned to Ohio and settled permanently in Ross county in 1853. Having no capital he was compelled to support himself by work on the farm at daily or monthly wages. This life of toil continued seven years, but being frugal and temperate he managed to lay by something from his wages and in future years had the satisfaction of owning part of the farm on which he had labored by the day. He accumulated gradually until in course of time he found himself the independent owner of 352 acres of excellent Ross county land. Mr. Arledge has devoted his time largely to the raising of stock, which he feeds and deals in on an extensive scale. Being a shrewd buyer and well posted in all the branches of this business he has prosecuted it with profit and is well known in connection with the live stock industry of his county. In 1859, while still struggling to get a start, Mr. Arledge was married to Elizabeth Hoffman, who proved a loving companion and helpmeet during all the days of her life. She became the mother of his twelve children, of whom ten are still living, and died November 30, 1891. In November, 1892, Mr. Arledge married Mrs. Mary E. Scott, a sister of his first wife. The family are attendants of the Methodist Episcopal church, of which Mr. Arledge has been a member for many years. ["The County of Ross: A History of Ross County, Ohio, from the Earliest Days..., Volume 2; By Henry Holcomb Bennett, pub. 1902]
Jacob Bahr, a civil war veteran and for over a quarter of a century janitor of the Eastern school building in Chillicothe, is a native of Germany but was brought to this country in infancy. His father, John Bahr, came over with his family in 1848, and proceeding immediately to Chillicothe adopted that city as a permanent place of abode. He was a shoemaker by trade and prosecuted his calling continuously until his death, which occurred July 12, 1883. His children, four in number, consisted of three daughters and one son, the latter being Jacob Bahr, the subject of this sketch, who was born in Germany in 1843. After the usual attendance on the city schools he learned the cooper's trade which, however, proved so injurious to his health that he was compelled to seek other means of livelihood. For some years he was engaged in farming and at other times turned his attention to various kinds of occupation as they proved convenient. August 14, 1862, Mr. Bahr enlisted in Company F, One Hundred and Sixth regiment, Ohio volunteer infantry, with which he served until the close of the war. This was one of the last of the German regiments raised in Ohio. September 4, 1862, it was ordered to Covington, Ky., to aid in repelling the forces of Kirby Smith. After considerable marching and countermarching the regiment was engaged in the unfortunate affair at Hartsville, Tenn., where as the result of bad management it was compelled to surrender, though no fault was found with the men themselves who fought well. They were detained for several weeks as prisoners of war at Murfreesboro, and then exchanged. Subsequently they did a good deal of work in guarding railroads and chasing guerrillas, which service was attended with considerable danger. Altogether the regiment took part in ten or twelve engagements, and was mustered out of service June 29, 1865, at Nashville. In July, 1876, Mr. Bahr was elected by the city school board janitor of the eastern school building, and it is quite a testimonial of his fidelity and efficiency in that position that every year since then he has been reelected. October 2, 1865, he was married to Elizabeth Cook, of Pike county, Ohio, and they have had nine children, six of whom are living. These are, Catherine; Elizabeth, widow of Frederick Winters, who was sergeant major of the Sixth regiment United States (regular) cavalry; John, a resident of Cincinnati ; Lena, wife of George Bierle, of Chillicothe ; Mary and William. Mr. Bahr is a member of the German church. ["The County of Ross: A History of Ross County, Ohio, from the Earliest Days ..., Volume 2; By Henry Holcomb Bennett, pub. 1902]
Curtis Baker, of Frankfort, Ohio, was born in Clark county, Ky., November 18, 1847. He is the son of A. W. Baker, born in Virginia October 0, 1814, whose father was Jacob Baker, a native of Germany . The latter emigrated to the United States in the early part of the nineteenth century and settled on a farm near Charleston, Va. He married a young German woman, then resident of that locality, and they had five children. A. W. Baker remained at home until the death of his father, when he removed to Kentucky and settled in Clark county. In Irvine, county seat of Estill county, Ky., he learned the tailor's trade, which afterward was his principal occupation for a number of years. He married Lucretia Adams, a native Virginian of German descent, by whom he had ten children. Of these, Ann E., William, Mary, Martha, Susan and Millie are dead. The living are John S., James H., Jackson A. and Curtis. In time, the father bought a farm in Estill county to which he removed and there remained until the civil war. He enlisted in Company C, Fourteenth Kentucky, of which he was elected first lieutenant and later captain. He served two years, took part in several prominent engagements, was captured and held prisoner for a short time, but otherwise escaped without injury. Being discharged at Camp Chase in September, 1865, he returned to Kentucky and took up his residence on the farm. Later, he sold this property and engaged in the mercantile business in Ruckerville, Ky., for several years, after which he removed to Elwood, Ind., where he lives a retired life. His first wife dying in 1867, he was married again in 1868 to Margaret Crow. Curtis Baker remained at home until he reached the age of twenty, when he came to Ohio and worked on a farm by the month for some years. Later he returned to Kentucky, where he learned the blacksmith trade and followed it for three years in that state, subsequently pursuing it for nine years at Bookwalter, Ohio . Afterwards he carried on the mercantile business in that town for fourteen years. Having bought hotel property at Sulphur Lick, he lived there for three years, and then took charge of the Concord hotel at Frankfort, in connection with which he also conducts a bakery and confectionery store. Mr. Baker served one term as postmaster of Ruckerville, Ky., under Grant, and one term under Garfield at Bookwaiter, Ohio, and was reappointed by President McKinley, but resigned after one year. He was elected trustee of Paint township, Fayette county, and filled that office for one term. In 1867, he was married to Samantha Minchall, a native of Ohio, by whom he had five children, of whom William, the second born, is dead. The others are Lucretia Ann, wife of Thomas Griffith, of Madison county; Nora, married to George Haas, Madison county; James A., living in Indiana, and Renna, at Lome . Mr. Baker is a member of the Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias and the Christian church. ["The County of Ross: A History of Ross County, Ohio, from the Earliest Days ..., Volume 2; By Henry Holcomb Bennett, pub. 1902]
THE BALL FAMILY
The Ball Family, of Chillicothe: George T. Ball, who for thirty years past has filled a responsible position with the Baltimore & Ohio Southwestern railway company, and its predecessors, during which period he has been an honored resident of Chillicothe, is a son of the late Thomas B. and Lydia Ball, of Blanchester. The name of Ball has been a familiar one in Virginia from an early period of its colonial history and yields to no other in patriotic performances. It will be remembered that it was a Mary Ball who became the mother bf George Washington, the founder as well as the first president of the nation, and the most illustrious man of the eighteenth century if not of all time. From the same branch of the genealogical tree that produced the father of his country descended Thomas Ball, who was born and married in Pennsylvania but subsequently migrated to Warren county, Ohio . After residing in Warren county for some years, he removed to Blanchester, Clinton county, where he spent the remainder of his days and died about the year 1867. His wife survived him: twenty-eight years, her death occurring at Wilmington, Ohio , in 1893. Of their six children, three are living, among the number being George T. Ball, who was born at Morrowtown, Warren county, Ohio , October 10, 1848. April 14, 1874, George T. Ball married Miss Fannie Gustin, daughter of James M. and Esther Gustin, of Blanchester, one of its oldest and foremost citizens, and for many years its leading merchant Official records and State archives of the colonial period bear witness to the military service of Mrs. Ball's paternal ancestors; being a lineal descendant, in the seventh generation, of John Gustin, of Reading, Mass., who received in 1678 a grant of land at Falmouth (now Portland), Maine, for his military service in the Colony of Massachusetts Bay, during King Philip's war, 1675-6. Her great-grandfather, Benajah Gustin, served from 1779 to 1782, with New Jersey troops, in the Revolutionary war. Her grandfather, John B. Gustin, and her father, each bore arms for the preservation of the Union in the civil war. Her maternal ancestors, the Wilson family, have contributed a number of able clergymen to the presbytery of Ohio , and many have attained more than local eminence as educators in the higher branches of learning. One of these, the Rev. Dr. Robert G. Wilson, was the pastor of the First Presbyterian church at Chillicothe from 1804 until 1825. He was also the founder of the Ohio university at Athens , Ohio , and was its first president Mr. and Mrs. Ball have two children: Bessie, born February 18, 1879, who is now the wife of Frank Lovell. Nelson, of Chicago, and Lieut William Gustin Ball, Third United States infantry, born April 19, 1875, who, after acquiring his preliminary education in the Chillicothe high school, pursued such special courses of study and training in eastern colleges as would best qualify him for his contemplated profession. On May 12, 1898, he was commissioned by President McKinley as captain and assistant quartermaster, United States volunteers, with which rank he was assigned to duty as a brigade quartermaster, Seventh United States army corps, wherein he served throughout the Spanish-American war and until his honorable discharge December 31, 1898. On October 15, 1900, he was commissioned a second lieutenant of infantry in the regular army of the United States by President McKinley, since which date he has served continuously in the Philippines , both as company commander and as battalion quartermaster, and where, already, his zeal and efficiency have won the commendation of his seniors in rank. ["The County of Ross: A History of Ross County, Ohio, from the Earliest Days ..., Volume 2; By Henry Holcomb Bennett, pub. 1902]
Carl Ballard, one of Ross county's substantial farmers, was born and reared in the county of Franklin , Ohio . His father, Cyrus Ballard, was a native of the same county and there spent the greater part of his life. At the beginning of the civil war he enlisted in Company B of the Fifty-fourth Ohio volunteer infantry, but died in 1862 as the result of disease contracted in the service. After Carl Ballard had obtained such education in Franklin county as was afforded by the common schools, he removed to Greenfield and engaged in business. He remained in this enterprising town of Highland county from 1887 until 1895, at which time he purchased and removed to the farm in Ross county on which he has since resided. Mr. Ballard retained and conducted his business at Greenfield until November, 1901, when he disposed of the same with a probability of renewing his investments there in another form. He has in contemplation the erection of a modern brick plant and the establishment of an up-to-date packing-house, either of which would make a valuable addition to the business institutions of Greenfield . In 1880, Mr. Ballard was married to Pauline; daughter of Charles Riebel, of Franklin county. The latter came from Germany to the United States in 1850 and located at Columbus , Ohio , where he secured his first work in connection with the building of the state house. Mr. and Mrs. Ballard have the following children: Lewis, Herman, Carl, Fred, Willie, Francis, Albert, Bertha and Emeline. Mr. Ballard is a member of the order of Odd Fellows and of the Union Veterans' Union . ["The County of Ross: A History of Ross County, Ohio, from the Earliest Days ..., Volume 2; By Henry Holcomb Bennett, pub. 1902]
Frank Bapst was born in Pike county, Ohio , May 14, 1865. His father, Lewis Bapst, a native of Germany , came to this country when quite young with his parents, who settled on a farm in Pike county, and he remained at home until his marriage to Lizzie Brust, when he bought a place of his own. Here he lived, carrying on general farming, until the time of his death. He left a family of seven children, thus distributed in the order of their births: Mary and William live in Illinois, Lena in Chillicothe, Maggie in Bainbridge, Frank in Union township, Lucy in Pike and Adam in Ross county. Frank Bapst received the ordinary education in early life and remained at home until his twenty-fifth year. On January 23, 1890, he was married to Mary New, rented a farm and settled down to hard work. The first location was retained for seven years, when Mr. Bapst bought a small place in Pike county. This he soon after disposed of, returned to Ross county for a two years' residence on a rented farm and from there removed to Chillicothe . After a brief interval, he purchased the place of thirty-one acres where he now resides in Union township. Mr. Bapst has an interesting young family of three children, whose names are Floyd, Edith and Ernest. Politically his affiliations are Republican and his religious connections are with the United Brethren church. ["The County of Ross: A History of Ross County, Ohio, from the Earliest Days ..., Volume 2; By Henry Holcomb Bennett, pub. 1902]
ROBERT S. BARBEE
Robert S. Barbee, of Chillicothe , deserves the credit of having made a success in life in the face of circumstances exceedingly adverse. In addition to the poverty which compelled him to do hard manual labor for a living, he met with a severe accident at the very threshold of his career which so disabled him as to make him a cripple for life. Despite this misfortune, however, Mr. Barbee has managed to overcome all obstacles and after efforts in different lines finally reached a substantial position in the financial world. He was born at Byer, Jackson county, Ohio , in 1854, and spent his boyhood there, but had only limited educational advantages, as he was compelled to go to work at a very early age. When only fourteen years old he began as a section hand and later became a brakeman on the old Marietta & Cincinnati railroad. In August, 1872, while engaged in the always hazardous work of "braking," he met with the accident previously mentioned, which not only put an end to his career as a railroader but threatened for awhile to terminate his usefulness for any purpose. He rallied, however, with the courage and determination of youth, and as the most available means of support at his disposal sent himself to learn telegraphy. After mastering this useful accomplishment he worked as an operator for a year, and then abandoned the "ticker" to enter the general mercantile business in his in this venture, he went to Nebraska and reentered the mercantile field in that state. During the two years of his residence there he formed what is called the Nebraska & Ohio Coal company. In the spring of 1802, he returned to Ohio and located at Chillicothe , where he has since been actively engaged in the real estate and loan business, in which he has attained a flattering measure of success. During his career Mr. Barbee has been too busy to pay much attention to politics and has never been an aspirant for office, but while residing in Jackson county was elected to and filled the position of assessor for one term. He is now a student in the Ohio college of Osteopathy , at Chillicothe , and expects to make the practice of that profession his future life work. In October, 1879, he was married to Colista A. Curry, a native of Wood county, W. Va., at that time resident in Jackson county. They have an only son, Judson F. The family are communicants of the Christian church and Mr. Barbee is a member of the order of Odd Fellows. ["The County of Ross: A History of Ross County, Ohio, from the Earliest Days ..., Volume 2; By Henry Holcomb Bennett, pub. 1902]
A resident of Ohio township, settled in this (Gallia Co) county in 1828, and was born in Indiana, September 3, 1823. He is a son of Thomas W. Barker, born in Berkshire, England, in 1782, died February 5, 1854, and Dannah (Weece) Barker, born in Hardy county, Virginia, in 1786, who came to this county in 1828. William Thompson, born in Greenbrier county, West Virginia, in 1808, and Elizabeth Campbell, born in Jackson county, Ohio, in 1807, and coming to this county in 1840, were the parents of Mary A. Thompson, born in Ross county, Ohio, December 13, 1827, who became the wife of Mr. Robert Barker in Ohio township, April 22, 1847. They have the following children: Sarah A., born January 22, 1848, resides in Ohio township; William T., March 18, 1849, in Mason county, West Virginia; John R., February 25, 1851, in Chambersburg, this county; Luella J., July 6, 1852, in Kentucky; Isaac, January 31, 1854, died April 28, 1855; Elizabeth, June 1, 1855, in West Virginia; Mary, November 27, 1856, at home; Louisa, August 15, 1858, in Ohio township; Charles, February 18, 1860, died February 21, 1861; Ella, May 1, 1861, died September 5, 1866; James, June 23, 1866, at home; Nora, February 10, 1870, died April 5, 1878. David Campbell was a soldier in the war of 1812. Mr. Robert Barker is engaged in merchandising and farming, with postoffice address is at Bush's Mills, Gallia county, Ohio. [SOURCE: History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c; James P. Averill; Hardesty & CO., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882.]
FREDERICK G. BARMANN
Frederick G. Barmann, of Chillicothe , was born in Scioto township, Ross county, February 22, 1870. His parents were George F. and Elizabeth (Smith) Barmann, the former a native of Ross county, born in 1845, and the mother of Dunville , Canada , born in 1844. They live at present in Clark county, Ohio , where the father is a well-to-do farmer. During the civil war he was a soldier in the Fourteenth Ohio volunteer infantry, and served about two years, contracting a disease for which he is now pensioned. The father of George F. Barmann was a native of Germany , who came to Ross county in his youth, was a farmer and one of the first butchers in Chillicothe , and married Elizabeth Gertheisen. Both lived to old age in Ross county, the former dying in his eighty-eighth year, his wife having preceded him several years. The Smith family, to which Elizabeth Barmann belonged, were British subjects and spent their lives in. Canada . Her father met his death in a railway wreck. She was the mother of nine children, five sons and four daughters, all of whom are still living. Harry Barmann is married and employed in mercantile business in South Charleston, Ohio; Walter is at Chillicothe, in business with his brother Frederick; Floyd is a student at Springfield, O.; Nellie is now Mrs. Edward J. Brown, of Chillicothe ; Stella married Harry Sheets, of South Charleston; Lida is Mrs. Foster Harrison, of South Omaha, Neb.; Elizabeth and Edna, both single, are at home. Frederick G. Barmann was educated in the public schools of Ross county and in the Chillicothe business college. For about ten years he held the position of bookkeeper for the Marfield milling company, of Chillicothe . In 1899, he embarked in the floor, feed and grain business at No. 3S6 East Main street . December 7, 1892, he was married to Nellie S., daughter of James and Sarah. (Kemper) Henderson, the former a native of Maryland and the latter of Foster, Ky. , where her father was a hotel keeper for forty years. Mrs. Barmann was born at Foster but reared at Newport , Ky. , and St. Bernard, Ohio . She received her education in the schools of Newport and at St. Bernard's college, near Cincinnati . Mr. and Mrs. Barmann have one daughter, Ruth, born January 14, 1899. Mr. Barmann is a member of the Catholic Order of Foresters and St. Ignatius society. He has been active as a local Democratic politician and served as clerk in his ward. ["The County of Ross: A History of Ross County, Ohio, from the Earliest Days ..., Volume 2; By Henry Holcomb Bennett, pub. 1902]
HOWARD G. BARTON
Howard G. Barton, M. D., of Adelphi , Ohio , may be said to come from a family of teachers, as his father and sisters gained prominence in that noble profession and he himself contributed sis years of his early manhood to the same cause. He is the son of William Barton, a native of Perry county, Ohio , who afterward removed to Hocking county and became prominent in educational circles as well as a prosperous agriculturist. Having received a good education at the Ohio university, at Athens , William Barton devoted twenty-five consecutive years to school teaching and exercised much influence for good by reason of his unwearied efforts in the cause. Meantime he owned and cultivated a farm with success and became one of the independent farmers of Washington township. He has been a lifelong Republican in politics and an active figure in Oddfellowship, with which popular fraternity he has long been connected. He married Ruth Ann, daughter of Henry and Rebecca (Brown) Hone, early settlers of Hocking county, where they spent their lives and ended their days. William and Ruth Barton have a family of four children, of whom Dr. Barton is the eldest. His sister, Anna R., spent seven years at the Ohio university, afterward taught with success in Logan , Ohio , and later became principal of the high school in Spokane , Wash. , where she married Robert Porterfield, a prominent attorney of that city. Elizabeth R., the third of the family, graduated at the high school in Athens , taught for many years at Glouster, married David Lloyd and now resides in Columbus , Ohio . Laura, the youngest of the family, was educated in commercial schools and is now at home. Dr. H. G. Barton was born at the parental home in Hocking county, March 11, 1864. He attended commercial school, took the preparatory course in the Ohio university and spent six years as a teacher in the district schools. He then took up the study of medicine under Dr. H. G. Campbell in Logan , Ohio , subsequently entering the Ohio Medical university of Columbus , where he was graduated with the class of 1893. His first venture as a practitioner was at Nelsonville , Ohio , where he remained but one year and then came to Ross county. He selected Adelphi as his location and soon succeeded m establishing himself there, both as a skillful physician and congenial citizen of the community. Dr. Barton is quite prominent in fraternal circles and has long been connected influentially with a number of popular societies. He is a charter member and past chancellor of Adelphi lodge, No. 657, Knights of Pythias, and past sachem of Cornplanter tribe, No. 173, Improved Order of Red Men. He is a master of Adelphi lodge, No. 527, P. & A. M., and also holds membership in Adelphi lodge, No. 114,1. O. O. P. He has always taken much interest in educational matters wherever located and is a member of the school board in his adopted town. In 1885, Dr. Barton was married to Elizabeth, daughter of John and Margaret (Burgoon) Jadwin, of Hocking county, and they have five living children: William A., Clinton C, Margaret, Robert and Clara. The family attend the Methodist Episcopal church, of which Dr. Barton is a member.
JOHN A. BAZLER
John A. Bazler, implement dealer at Kingston , though of Ohio parentage, is of German origin one generation removed. His grandfather and namesake was born in Germany , July 24, 1795, and in 1818 settled in Chillicothe , where he pursued his trade as a brickmaker, spending his last years with his son and dying in 1891. His wife was Elizabeth Legg, whom he married after coming to Chillicothe , and their children were John, George, Andrew, Augustus, Thomas, Louisa, Margaret, and Elizabeth. Thomas Bazler was born in Ross county, February 24, 1823, and in early manhood went to Pickaway county, where he engaged in farming and has since followed that occupation. He married Eliza Blaine, who was born in Pickaway county, August 6, 1831, and descended from one of the first settlers of Chillicothe . Her father was Henry Blaine, born in 1808, son of a carpenter who worked on the' first public buildings erected in Ross county. Thomas Bazler has held the office of trustee of Darby township in Pickaway county for fourteen years and is a member of Derby lodge, I. O. 0. F. He and wife reared a family of ten children, all of whom are living but William. The others in order of birth are: Wilson, John A., Alice, Elsworth, Augustus, Joseph, Albert, Thomas, and Frank. John A. Bazler was born in Pickaway county, June 23, 1860, grew up and was educated in the place of his nativity. In early manhood he came to Chillicothe , where he remained two years engaged in the railroad business. From that point he went to Madison county, located at West Jefferson and embarked in the agricultural implement trade to which he gave his attention for six years. His next move was to Dayton , where he secured employment with the Ohio Steel Fence company, which lasted three years. In 1899, Mr. Bazler established headquarters at Kingston , where he has since carried on a growing business in agricultural implements, buggies and wagons. He is a progressive citizen and always takes an interest in affairs of the community in which he lives, especially matters pertaining to education. While resident in West Jefferson he was a member of the city council and school board, and the latter position he also holds in Kingston . He is a member of the Odd Fellows lodge, No. 412, at West Jefferson, and of the Knights of Pythias lodge at Kingston . December 27, 1882, he was married to Emma, daughter of G. W. and Ellen ( Griffin ) Smith, all natives of Pickaway county. Mr. and Mrs Bazler have two sons: Earl, attending the Kingston high school, and Edgar.
Jeremiah Beall, who departed this life many years ago, was at one time quite a familiar figure in the city of Chillicothe . He was born at Hagerstown , Md. , January 25, 1796, and when a child had the misfortune to lose both his parents by death. He and two brothers, Joshua and Alexander, were kindly taken care of by Edward Fitzgerald, an uncle on the mother's side, who brought them to Ohio and did what he could to assist them on their way in life. Jeremiah was bright and industrious, and before he reached manhood had mastered the plasterer's trade, which furnished him steady occupation and a comfortable competence. This trade he followed for many years in Chillicothe , where he acquired the reputation of being a reliable workman and was much esteemed as a moral and upright citizen. He was a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and in all the relations of life as husband, father or friend he was conscientious in the performance of every duty, and when he died, April 17, 1857, he was followed to the grave by many sincere mourners. January 11, 1831, Jeremiah Beall was married to Emeline Cook, daughter of parents who came to Ohio but a few years after the founding of Chillicothe . Her father was a Jerseyman who settled in Highland county in 1806, there married Hannah Troth and in 1808 located at Chillicothe where he became prominent as a carpenter and contractor. They had six children and Mrs. Beall was one of their two daughters who lived to womanhood. She was a superior woman as wife and mother, affectionate and amiable in disposition, and retained the regard of a host of friends until the day of her death, April 13, 1890. Jeremiah and Emeline Beall had a family of nine children, seven sons and two daughters. Most of these have been called to their last account, including James H., William T., Albert Alexander, Joshua and Henry. The three surviving children are Edward, a resident of Wabash county, Ill. ; Mary, wife of Joseph J. Woods, of Chillicothe , and Laura A. Beall, a teacher in the Chillicothe city schools.
SAMUEL H. BEATH
Samuel H. Beath, of Buckskin township, is one of the best known of the younger generation of Ross county farmers, having gained recognition as a skillful stock-raiser and feeder. The founder of the Beath family in Ross county came to Ohio in the latter part of the eighteenth century. He left a son named James, who was born in 1810 in Paint township and became a successful farmer. Among his children was a son named Joseph, born in 1832, who settled in Twin township and married Minta, daughter of Robert Watson, an old settler of that part of Ross county. Joseph and Minta Beath had three children: Nettie, wife of Michael Hennigan; Anna, wife of Albert Warner; and Samuel H. The latter, though a native of Twin, was reared and educated in Buckskin township. As soon as he reached manhood, Mr. Beath entered actively into agricultural pursuits, making a specialty of raising and feeding stock. He fattens cattle and hogs for the market and is regarded by the best judges as an expert in that particular line of business. By the exercise of good judgment and close attention Mr. Beath has been enabled to achieve a creditable measure of success. He pays some attention to politics and is not without interest in the public affairs of his township, though most of his attention is given to his private business. In 1890, Mr. Beath was married to Nancy, daughter of Aaron Cox, who died in 1896, leaving two children, Jessie and Margaret.
WILLIAM S. BEATH
William S. Beath was born in Paint township, Ross county, O., November 28, 1847. He is a grandson of Joseph and Barbara M. Beath, natives of Virginia , who came to Ross county at a very early period of its settlement. They located in Paint township where the father shortly afterward was killed by a tree falling on him, and his wife went to live with her son James. They had five children who grew up to manhood, their names being John, Joseph, James, Catherine and Aaron. Aaron Beath, born in Ross county, went to live with an uncle after his father's death, and remained there until he was fully grown, when he married Elizabeth Snyder, a native of Ross county, and went to farming in Paint township on a place belonging to the parents of his wife. Subsequently he went to live on what is known as the Hester farm, where he remained for several years, and after other changes to different places, removed in 1870 to the state of Kansas , where he died about two years ago. Of his eight children, John, Christina, Julia A., and David are now dead. The living are William S., the subject of this sketch; Catherine, now the wife of Charles Hayes, of Bloomingburg, O.; Nettie B., who married A. Fortman, of Kansas , and Edgar, of Washington . William S. Beath remained at home until he was about seventeen years old, meantime obtaining an education at the district school. He then engaged work by the month, continuing this line of labor until his marriage to Catherine Moomaw, which took place on March 1, 1871. Her parents were Virginians who settled in Paint township at an early day and died there. After their marriage the young couple went to housekeeping on a rented farm where they lived for twelve years. Mr. Beath then bought fifty-one acres of land, which is his present place of residence, and to this he subsequently added another purchase of ten acres. He has carried on general farming, has prospered as the result of hard work and good management, adding a great many improvements to his place from time to time. Himself and wife are members of the German Baptist church. They have six children, whose names are Maggie A. (wife of. Edward L. Summers), Edgar H., Clarence, Maud (wife of Harry Trego), Homer, and Bobbins.
Israel Beideman, the well known contractor and representative business man, has been identified with the industrial development of Chillicothe for more than half a century. Nor is it too much to say that by his mechanical labors and the unfailing performance of all the duties of good, citizenship he has contributed his full share to the city's growth and prosperity. He is of Pennsylvania origin. His grandfather, George Beideman, a farmer of the Keystone state and a participant in the war of 1812, left a son and namesake, a weaver by trade, who married Mary, daughter of Henry Hem sing, who came from Germany and settled as a farmer in Montgomery county, Pa George and Mary A. Beideman became the parents of four sons and one daughter. The eldest was Israel Beideman, whose birth occurred on his father's farm in Montgomery county, Pa. , August 8, 1830. When fourteen years of age his parents removed to Philadelphia , where he was educated as he grew to manhood. A circumstance occurring the year after his arrival in the City of Brotherly Love made upon his young mind such a deep and indelible impression that Mr. Beideman has always distinctly remembered it. A bitter religious controversy had grown up over the question of using the Bible in the public schools and the Catholics were accused of hostility to the program favored by the Protestant element The contest grew so heated that it bred a riot, and Mr. Beideman says that though only fourteen years old he was right in the midst of the row as a representative of the American view of the public school question. During his early manhood Mr. Beideman learned the cabinet-making trade and became very proficient as a workman, especially in the features calling for greatest skill, such as hand-carving, and finishing rosewood and fine parlor furniture. He worked at his trade in Philadelphia and Boston for several years, and in 1855 came to Chillicothe where he remained two years. In the spring of 1857, he went to Chicago , worked awhile in a mill and then learned the carpenter's trade, in which he became very efficient. He went to Louisiana in October, 1857, and from there to Louisville and Cincinnati , working as a carpenter most of the time, and finally, in the summer of 1858, getting back to his starting at Chillicothe , where he was destined to remain permanently. Since then, he has been one of the industrial features of Chillicothe as cabinet-maker, carpenter and contractor and has had no superior in his special line of work. In January, 1860, Mr. Beideman was married to Julia A. McAdow, a lady whose family history deserves more than a passing notice. Her grandparents, John and Nancy ( Johnston ) Kirkpatrick, located at the infant village of Chillicothe as early as' 1795 and their daughter Polly was the first female white child born in the corporate limits. The second was Margaret A. Kirkpatrick, whose birth occurred August 31, 1801, and by her marriage with Dr. Samuel McAdow she became the mother of Mrs. Julia A. Beideman. For many years. Mr. Beideman has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and a supporter of all causes that "make for righteousness." He is connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, including the subordinate lodge and encampment, and is a charter member of Sereno lodge, No. 28, Knights of Pythias, at Chillicothe .
EDGAR R. BELL
Edgar R. Bell, well known as a teacher and preacher in Scioto township, is one of the esteemed citizens of Ross county, of which he has been long a resident. For generations the Bell family have been living in Virginia , and the majority of them cultivators of the soil Robert Bell, founder of the Ross county branch of the name, was born in Virginia, January S, 1812. In early manhood he married Frances Seal and afterward had charge as overseer of a large Virginia plantation. About fifteen years after his marriage he came to Ross county and settled in Liberty township in 1848. Remaining there only a short time, he moved with his family to Scioto township and located near Massieville. At this place his wife died after having become the mother of the following named children: Edgar R., Robert, and Sample (deceased); Mordecai, of Missouri ; John Waller, Amelia, and Elizabeth (deceased). The father was a carpenter and worked regularly at this trade in connection with his farming operations. Several years after the death of his first wife he married Elizabeth Camlin, a native of Ross county, and continued business at the same place. He died February 22, 1888, at the village of Massieville , to which he had removed a few months previously, and his second wife survived him but a few years. Edgar R. Bell, eldest of his parents' children, was born in Caroline county, Va, August 4, 1834, and came with his father to Ohio when fourteen years old. In youth and early manhood he gained his livelihood by daily labor on farms. May 29, 1859, he was married to Samantha Ruley, a native of Belmont county, O., then resident in Ross county. Mr. Bell located in Massieville and for several years after his marriage was engaged in teaching during the winter and working on farms in the summer. About 1870, he became a minister of the gospel, and for fifteen years afterward was actively engaged in this calling, but was compelled to abandon the work on account of ill health. After he gave up preaching, Mr. Bell embarked in the mercantile business at Massieville, which he has since continued. Mr. Bell's civil war experience was confined to service with the troops called out for a hundred days during the fourth year of the terrible struggle. May 2, 1864, he enlisted in Company F, One Hundred and Forty-ninth regiment, Ohio volunteer infantry, and was sent with this command to guard a fort at Baltimore , Md. He was assigned to hospital duty for awhile in that city, afterward was sent to Washington and thence on a long march through Virginia . They met with no adventures worth recording and after the return to Washington were sent to Harper's Ferry, passing en route over the then recent battlefield of Monocacy Junction. Mr. Bell was left at Harper's Ferry among the sick and at the termination of his hundred days' enlistment was forwarded to the convalescent camp at Washington, from which place he shortly after was sent back to Camp Dennison, Ohio, and there discharged. As soon as he obtained his release, Mr. Bell returned home and resumed his occupation as a teacher. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and occasionally preaches to local congregations. Mr. and Mrs. Bell have three children, Brice T., Robert M., and Sarah I. The first mentioned is a teacher in the public schools at Jeffersonville , Ohio, and Robert is a druggist by profession.
Henry Benner, a well-to-do farmer of the Fruitdale neighborhood in Ross county, comes of a family long identified with the mechanical and agricultural industries of that part of the Scioto valley. He is a son of Joshua and grandson of Christian Benner, both natives of Chester county, Pa The latter came to Ross county in 1806, when it was still a wilderness, and settled in Paxton township. He was a man of mechanical skill in various lines and proved to be an acquisition of the kind most needed in the new settlement. He established a blacksmith shop, besides saw, grist and woolen mills, these being the first industries of their kind in that portion of Ross county, and located on Paint creek, where his abilities as a mechanic, backed by enterprise and industry, made him a notable and valuable citizen of the infant community. His death occurred in 1841 after a life of great activity and usefulness. After the death of his father, Joshua Benner remained in charge of the family mills which he managed with good judgment. He married Mary Magdalene, daughter of Christian Shockley, and soon after this event removed to Paint township, where he lived until his death, which occurred January 9, 1871. Henry Benner, his third son, was born in 1844 on the old homestead in Paint township. He received his education in the district schools and when a young man of about twenty had the exciting experience of being with the State militia in pursuit of John Morgan during his raid in Ohio . In 1867, Mr. Benner was married to Sarah, daughter of Griffith Ward, member of an old and well established family of Twin township. Layton W. Benner, the eldest of their three children, and the only son, is a young man of popularity and promise. November 29, 1889, he was married to Florence , daughter of John Milton Dyer, one of the early settlers of Ross county. For three years he held township office and in every way is an exemplary young man, holding membership in the Methodist Episcopal church. Of the two daughters of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Benner, Lizzie May is at home and Mary Maud is the wife of John W. Beath, a resident of Dills Station. Mr. Benner is a member of the Masonic order. The farm on which he lives, besides its agricultural value, is pronounced by competent judges to be rich in mineral deposits. There are evidences of coal and granite in abundance, as well as strong indications of the presence of oil. A recent analysis of the oil, sent to Indianapolis, showed it to be of the finest and purest quality and it is in paying quantities.
JOHN HENRY BRISCOE BENNETT
John Henry Briscoe Bennett, at this date one of the oldest business men in Chillicothe , was born in Shepherdstown , Va. , October 10th, 1821, his parents being Thomas Swearingen Bennett and Lurena Evans, daughter of Thomas Beal Evans, of Harper's Ferry. On his father's side Mr. Bennett traces his ancestry back to Gerrit Van Sweringen, who came to this country from Holland shortly before the middle of the seventeenth century, and became sheriff of New Anistel. After the taking of New Amsterdam by the English he removed to Maryland , being a friend of Lord Calvert From Maryland many of his descendants removed into Virginia . The father of Mr. Bennett died shortly before the latter was born, and the mother married a second time. In September, 1831, the family left Shepherdstown for the west, traveling in their carriage over the Cumberland, afterward the National road, through Uniontown, Washington and Brownsville to Wheeling, thence via Zanesville and Lancaster to Chillicothe After a week's visit there they went on through Maysville, Lexington, Louisville and St Louis, then a town of only 16,000 people, to St. Charles, Mo. The cholera, which had been prevalent along the line of the Chesapeake & Ohio canal when they left Shepherdstown, reached St Charles in 1832; and in 1834 both Mr. Bennett's mother and step-father died. In that year he went to Meramec Iron Works, as store-boy, Thomas James, a family friend, being interested in the works there. In January, 1836, Mr. Bennett went to Chillicothe , by boat from St. Louis to Maysville , Ky. , thence to James's iron works on Rapid Forge, where he remained some time with his brother, Thomas Bennett He came to Chillicothe on May 10, 1836, and, the next day, entered the dry-goods store of William Y. Strong. There his chief occupation, instead of being a clerk, as bad been expected, was to saw and split wood. In those days a store boy was expected to be up at five, to clean the store, to see that the candlesticks held fresh tallow dips, and to continue at work until the store closed at ten o'clock at night, when he made up a bed for himself, on the counter, with a thin, rag mattress, and went to sleep. Mr. James took Mr. Bennett from the store and sent him to school, to W. B. Franklin, until in 1837, when he went to Buckskin Furnace, in Lawrence county, Ohio , as storekeeper. In 1838 he returned to Chillicothe and entered the store of James P. Campbell, with whom he remained until the age of twenty, when he went to New Orleans , with Thomas W. King, as general clerk in a commission business. The business not proving successful, he returned to Chillicothe , and, in 1845, entered into partnership with Charles B. Crouse, at Circleville, but, owing to various causes, returned to Chillicothe the same year and entered into partnership with his brother Thomas, and with Judge O. T. Reeves, in the dry-goods business. In 1850 he bought out J. & H. McLandburg and went into business by himself, prospering greatly. In the great fire of 1852 his place of business was burned, but he managed to save his entire stock, and within ten days was again established in business. Since then, until 1886, he continued steadily in the dry-good business, long being one of the foremost merchants in the city. At one time he was in partnership with his brother, Thomas S. Bennett, and, again, with Dr. W. A. Clough, under the firm name of Clough & Bennett. For a time, after 1886, he was connected with the Zaleski Iron & Coal Co. He is not now, and for some time has not been, actively engaged in any business. He married, in Chillicothe , Eliza Jane, daughter of Judge James McClintick and Charity Trimble, his wife. Of this marriage four children survive. These are Miss Alice Bennett, now president of the Century club and prominent in musical circles in Chillicothe; Henry Holcomb Bennett, journalist, illustrator, and writer of short stories; John, author of the well-known stories for children, "Master Skylark" and "The Story of Barnaby Lee," and an illustrator, who married Susan, daughter of Augustin T. Smythe, Esq., of Charleston, S. C, in 1902, and Martha Trimble, who, at this time, is head of the English department of Dana Hall, Wellesley, Mass. Mr. Bennett's memory of the early days of the city and county is very clear, and he has rendered valuable assistance to the editor of this history.
HENRY W. BIGGS
Henry W. Biggs, D. D. , now living in retirement and enjoying a needed rest after a strenuous life, was the popular pastor of the First Presbyterian church in Chillicothe for twenty-eight years. During his active days he did much valuable work in the cause of religion and conscientiously discharged every duty devolved upon him. From his earliest youth he was trained as a servant of the distinguished both as a teacher and preacher of theology. Dr. Biggs was born in Frankfort , Pa. , now a suburb of Philadelphia , in 1828, and when four years old was taken by his parents to Cincinnati , which city had been chosen as their place of residence. The father, Thomas J. Biggs, D. D. , was appointed professor in Lane Theological seminary, later elected president of the old Cincinnati college, and after the destruction of the latter by fire became president of the Woodward college, now known as the Woodward high school, in Cincinnati . Henry W. Biggs attended the Cincinnati college during tho presidency of his father and was graduated at that institution in the class of 1844. Subsequently he attended the theological seminary at Princeton , N. J., where he obtained his diploma in 1851, and immediately entered upon ministerial work. His first assignment was as home missionary in Boone county, Ind. , where he was busily engaged for eighteen months. In 1853 he was called to his first pastorate at Princeton , Ind. , where he remained two years and then accepted a call to Morgan town, W. Va. , which was his scene of operations until 1864. In that year he came to Chillicothe to accept the pastorate of the First Presbyterian church, which he held until 1892, when failing health compelled him to relinquish active work in the ministry. The fact that Dr. Biggs served the same church continuously for twenty-eight years is sufficient attestation of his efficiency and acceptability to his long line of parishioners, but this is also proved in many other ways. Since coming to Chillicothe in 1864, he has officiated at the marriage of over 1,100 couples, and for over twenty years he was a member of the boards for the examination of teachers both for Ross county and Chillicothe. In recognition of his services and abilities, the Wooster university in 1877 conferred on him the degree of doctor of divinity, and, aside from this official tribute, it is the consensus of opinion among the thousands who have come in contact with him that the late pastor of the First Presbyterian church is one of the worthiest of men. In 1853, Dr. Biggs was married at Cincinnati to Cornelia Poinier, who, through' a married life of nearly half a century, has shared with her husband the esteem and good will of thousands.
JACOB G. BISHOP
Jacob G. Bishop, of Huntington township, is a member of a family widely disseminated throughout Kentucky and Ohio , and especially well known in Ross and Pickaway counties. The branches in the states mentioned all sprang from Henry and Catherine (Strawyer) Bishop, pioneer settlers of Ross county in 1805. They brought with them from Berkeley county, W. Va., a numerous family of sons and daughters, who scattered through Kentucky and Ohio and became the progenitors of numerous offspring. In this way the Bishops and blood relations under other names became extensively distributed and constituted a strong element among the original settlers of the Ohio valley. Among the children of the couple above mentioned was David Bishop, born in Berkeley county, W. Va. , in 1785, and twenty years old when his parents settled in Ross county. In course of time he married Mary M. Long, daughter of a Maryland immigrant by the name of John Long, who had come to Ross county about the time of the advent of the Bishops. David and his spouse went to housekeeping in a one-room log cabin, now owned by G. Reub, but later built a hewed log house which was regarded as extra fine in those days. They reared their family of six children, consisting of Elizabeth, Henry, Nancy, Catherine, Frederick and Jacob G. The latter, who is the only one now living, was born in the aforementioned log cabin in Huntington township, Ross county, September 28, 1828. He remained at the old home until his marriage to Rebecca Wendell, of Noble county, Ohio , which occurred March 22, 1848. He located on the place which he at present occupies, but later became an occupant of the house of his parents in order that he might the better take care of them in their old age. After their deaths, Mr. Bishop purchased a place near Denver , in Huntington township, where he lived for ten years. May 1, 1864, he enlisted in Company F, One Hundred and Forty-ninth regiment Ohio infantry, for the hundred days' service and went with the command to Baltimore , Md. , where they did guard duty during the whole term of their enlistment. In 1865, Mr. Bishop returned to the place where he had first embarked in business for himself and this has since been his home. In 1875, he was ordained as a minister of the Methodist Episcopal church at Portsmouth , Ohio , and for a number of years thereafter did local preaching. He has been a member of the church for fifty-one years. Mr. and Mrs. Bishop have no children.
Robert Bishop, of Huntington township, is the only surviving member of a large family of brothers and sisters who were the offshoots of pioneer stock which had ramified extensively throughout Kentucky and the Scioto valley. The parent stem in America was of German origin and resulted from an emigration which took place during the early part of the eighteenth century. One of the descendants, born in Pennsylvania , was Henry Bishop, who married Catherine Strawyer and soon afterward settled in Berkeley county, W. Va. In 1805, they joined the tide then setting in strongly for the west and eventually found an abiding place in Huntington township, Ross county, where they secured land and spent the remainder of their days. The epitaphs on the moss-covered stones in Bishop Hill cemetery record the fact that Catherine lived to the age of ninety-nine and that her husband was ninety-seven years old when he died. Their children, eleven in number, were thus named in order of birth: Henry, John, George, Frederick, Jacob, David, Robert, Mary, Nancy, Elizabeth, and Margaret When the parents came west, several of the children, including George, Margaret and Elizabeth, diverged to the south of the Ohio and sought settlements in Kentucky, where they became the founders of large families. Henry and John went to Pickaway county, but the other children remained with their parents in Ross county. Robert, who was number seven in the household, had reached his seventeenth year when brought to Ohio , his birth having been in Berkeley county, W. Va. March 5, 1788. He assisted in clearing and cultivating the farm until the period of manhood, when he married Sarah Hill, a native of Maryland , who had been brought to Ross county in childhood by her parents. He located in Huntington township and followed the occupation of farming, occasionally filling minor offices, such as justice of the peace, trustee and member of the school board. He was fairly prosperous in his business, became the owner of about 275 acres of land and had reached the eighty-seventh year of his age at the time of death. His children, eleven in number, are recorded in order of birth as follows. Catherine, Phoebe, Elizabeth, Dorcas, Mary, Sarah, Martha, John, Henry, Robert, and Jacob. As previously stated, Robert Bishop is the only survivor of this large family. He was born in Huntington township, Ross county, April 29, 1828, and spent both his youth and early manhood at the parental home. In 1865, he was married to Susan C. Bishop, a second cousin, and native of Ross county, with whom he settled on the old home place and there remained during the ten subsequent years. At the expiration of that time, Mr. Bishop purchased the place of 122 acres where he has since resided. The only child is Edward C. Bishop, who married Mollie Ward, of Huntington township, and makes his home with his parents. He holds the position of township clerk and is ah extensive breeder of sheep. The family are all members of the Methodist Episcopal church.
GEORGE B. BITZER
Judge George B. Bitzer, a distinguished citizen of Chillicothe and ex-probate judge of Ross county, is one of the most popular officials in the State. He was born at Adelphi, this county, April 15, 1852, being a son of Anthony G. Bitzer, a native of Colerain township, Ross county. Conrad Bitzer, his grandfather, was born at Buffalo Valley , Pa. , and was descended from German ancestors. He was one of the sturdy pioneers of Colerain township, and developed a farm in the heart, of the forest; he died at the age of ninety-two years, retaining almost until the very last the remarkable vigor of his youth. Anthony G. Bitzer was the proprietor of the hotel at Adelphi, and also superintended the cultivation of his farm near that village. He married Catherine Strawser, also a native of Ross county, and a daughter of Henry Strawser, a Pennsylvanian by birth, of German descent, who was one of the first settlers of Colerain township, and endured many privations and hardships of the frontier, but lived to the age of eighty-nine years. Anthony G. Bitzer died at the age of seventy-six years. He had eight children, six of whom grew to maturity. The maternal grandmother of George B. Bitzer was of English descent, and one of the most remarkable instances of longevity is found in the history of the family. Of the parents and grand-parents of the subject of this sketch their ages at their death, including six persons in all, ranged from seventy-six to ninety-two years.. George B. Bitzer, in common with the other children of the early settlers, did not enjoy the educational facilities now offered the American youth in the excellent public system of today; but he improved the opportunities that came to him, and at the age of fifteen received a certificate as teacher, and taught For eleven years he was engaged in teaching, attending the Wesleyan university at Delaware during his vacations. In his youth he had cherished a fond hope of entering the legal profession, but by some chance of fortune he began to read medicine, and for eighteen months devoted his efforts to a preparation for entering Jefferson Medical college, Philadelphia . During all this time a strong regret filled his heart, and finally he took his destiny in his own hands and abandoned medicine forever. He entered the office of Van Meter & Throckmorton, Chillicothe , Ohio , and there began a course of study for the law; this effort ended in his admission to the bar in 1879. He at once engaged in the practice of his profession, and in the autumn of 1880 he was elected prosecuting attorney of Ross county on the Republican ticket This was an early recognition of his ability, and he made a model officer. In 1887, at the age of thirty-five, he was elected probate judge of Ross county, after one of the most hotly contested campaigns in the history of the county. He was elected his own successor in 1890, a testimonial to his merit and just administration heartily appreciated. Judge Bitzer has during his term of office made many admirable reforms and reduced much of the business to a system, all of which has been warmly commended by the bar regardless of party lines. He is still engaged in the practice of the law at Chillicothe . Politically, he adheres to the principles of the Republican party, a straight departure from his ancestral example. As a public speaker he has more than a local reputation, and his services as an orator are always in demand upon occasions of national and other celebrations. The judge was married December 15, 1880, to Louisa J. Grimes, a native of Ross county. Of their five children, four are living: Altha M., Edwin S., and George E., the latter of whom died at the age of seven years; Florence C. and Clarkson B. Judge Bitzer and wife have been members of the Methodist Episcopal church from childhood, and are prominently identified with the church in Chillicothe . Of marked domestic traits, our worthy subject is devoted to his family, spending all his leisure in their society. He'is a lover of standard literature and a wide reader upon many subjects, gathering the best ideas of the advanced thought of the times.
William Bitzer, residing near Hallsville, has been connected with the agricultural development of Ross county during a period embracing all of the great modern inventions relating to farm work. When he, as a barefooted boy, first commenced to plant corn, there were no sulky plows or machines for drilling, and when later he was putting in his own crops there were no reapers, harvesters, binders and other labor-savers now so common. He has seen all the "ups and downs" of the business and in his quiet, unassuming way has done his share to keep Ross county at the front as one of the great farming regions of the west. Mr. Bitzer comes of honorable lineage on both sides, one of his ancestors having been a Revolutionary veteran and another in the war of 1812. His parents were Jacob and Rosan Barbara (Metzger) Bitzer, both natives of Pennsylvania, who came to Ross county in 1812 and here ended their days, the mother dying at seventy-nine and the father when eighty-six years old. Of their four sons and three daughters, only William is now living. William Bitzer was born in Green township, Ross county, November 30, 1823, and there he has spent all the supervening years. He obtained but a scant amount of "book learning" from the rather inferior country schools of those days, but he learned to do all sorts of farm work and acquired the habits of industry which remained with him throughout his future life. Since the beginning of his adult years he has always owned a farm and is at present in possession of eighty two and one-half acres in Colerain township. February 14, 1860, he was married to Mary A. Creachbaum, who was born in Harrison township, Ross county, March 5, 1835. She was the daughter of John and Catherine (Rowe) Creachbaum, who came from Pennsylvania and married after their arrival, having seven children, of whom five are yet living. William Bitzer and his wife have four children, who are thus briefly recorded in order of birth: Leah married Peter Dumm and has two children, Harrison L. and Cleo M.; Flora, wife of Jacob Hefrher, has one child dead (Pearl) and one living, Mabel D.; Mary C. is the wife of C. J. Noble; William R. married Jessie Dumm and has three children, Russell E., Nolan D., and Marie. Mr. Bitzer's grandfather on the mother's side served as a soldier under Washington during the war for American independence and his father bore arms for the government in 1812.
CHARLES R. BLACK
Charles R. Black is a native of Buckskin township, Ross county, where he was reared and educated. He is a son of John W. Black and grandson of Charles Black, the latter an Englishman who settled in Buckskin township as far back as 1812. He became a soldier of the war then prevailing, taking sides with the United States against his former country, and was wounded during one of the battles. After receiving his education in the district schools and at Salem academy, Charles B. Black engaged in farming and the live stock business. He formed a partnership with W. L. Stinson, under the firm name of Stinson & Black, and for years they did an extensive business. In fact, this firm became the heaviest dealers in live stock in the State and finally entered the export business, shipping directly to Europe . Their operations as buyers extended over a large area and they were the only exporters in their section of the State. In September, 1901, Mr. Black retired from the firm after fifteen years of active service. Mr. Black never allowed politics to distract his attention from business and has neither sought nor held office. He was too young for military service during the war, but has a distinct recollection of the Morgan raid, being used as a messenger, on different occasions during the organization of the militia. In 1869, Mr. Black was married to Mary A., daughter of Isaac Hyer, an old settler of Ross county.
DANIEL W. BLACK
Daniel W. Black, a famous cattle-breeder and feeder, of Ross county, was born in Buckskin township near Lyndon, being a son of John W. Black, whose family history is elsewhere sketched. He was educated in the district schools and early in life began farming on the old homestead place. His tastes led him toward the live stock business, especially the fancy breeds, and he was destined to achieve a marked success in this line. About six years ago Mr. Black made up his mind that the Herefords were the best all-round cattle on the market, and he determined to devote his attention to their breeding. Since then he has made a specialty of Herefords and the Duroc Jersey swine, bringing both to a perfection that gives him front rank among the breeders. Starting in a small way, he now has a herd of about thirty-five pure-bred Hereford cattle. A sample of their quality as well as value may be gauged from the fact that in 1900, at the Kansas City thoroughbred stock sale, he received $600 for a nine-months old calf. Included in his home herd is the thoroughbred cow, "Armel," a superb animal bought for $700 from the late K. B. Armour, for which Mr. Black has since refused $1,000. At the great international fat stock show in Chicago in 1901, Mr. Black exhibited a carload of fifteen head of Herefords, fattened by himself, which won the grand championship prize of the world and were pronounced by competent judges and buyers as the best steers ever sold in the Chicago market Mr. Black has been equally successful as a breeder and feeder of swine. His hogs, like his cattle, are the best, and show the evidences of skillful breeding and feeding. In this Mr. Black has no superior anywhere, being an expert in all that relates to his branch of business. In 1889 Mr. Black was married to Laura L., daughter of James Q. Tharp. The family are connected with the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Black is a member of the American Hereford Breeders, association and also of the Duroc Jersey Breeders' association.
JOHN O. BLACK
John O. Black, well known in mercantile circles at Kingston , was born in Pickaway county, Ohio , September 8, 1869, son of Joseph and Margaret (Hoffman) Black. His grandfather, Joseph Black, settled in Fairfield county, Ohio , at an early period of the State's history, embarked in the cattle business and became noted as one of the pioneer drovers. Mr. Black's father was a teacher in early life, but afterwards engaged in farming in Pickaway county, where he located when a young man. The closing days of his life were spent in Kingston and there his death occurred October 12, 1897. His widow resides in Kingston , with her son, J. O. Black. The latter was brought up on the farm, receiving his education at Mount Pleasant academy and the Kingston high school. His first venture in business was as a painter and paper hanger, which occupation he followed ten years. In 1895 he embarked in the mercantile business, which he pursued alone for two years and then formed a partnership with Shannon R. Sibrell. The firm thus constituted continued until 1901, when Arthur Hickle, a farmer of Green township, became the junior member in place of Mr. Sibrell. The firm of Black & Hickle carries the largest stock of general merchandise in Kingston and does a thriving business. Mr. Black has figured conspicuously in local politics on the Republican side and has held various positions of honor and trust. When twenty-four years old he was elected mayor of Kingston and served two terms in that capacity. For three years he held the office of justice of the peace, was a member of the school board, president of the board of health and at present is a city councilman. Mr. Black is quite prominent in Freemasonry, having membership in Scioto lodge, No. 6; Chillicothe chapter, No. 4, Royal Arch; Council No. 6, of Chillicothe ; and Chillicothe commandery, No. 8, Knights Templars. He is also a member of Kingston lodge, No. 419, Knights of Pythias, and Chillicothe lodge, No. 42, of the Order of Elks. October 23, 1900, Mr. Black was married to Nellie S. Crouse, a native of Kingston , and daughter of David and Elizabeth (Leist) Crouse. They have one daughter, Helen C.
JAMES H. BLAIN
James H. Blain, a prosperous farmer of Scioto township and civil war veteran with an excellent record, traces his lineage to one of the earliest settlers of Ross county. This was William Blain, who came from Rockingham county, Va. , and settled in Scioto township, when there were only one or two log houses in Chillicothe . He assisted in cutting the first road leading from the present county seat to the village of Massieville . Shortly after his arrival in Ross county, William Blain married a daughter of Daniel Chesnut and settled down to the grubbing, chopping; burning and clearing which preceded the rude farming of those days. At the beginning of the war of 1812 he enlisted as a soldier, went off to join his regiment and was never again heard of by friend or family. What became of him and conjectures as to his mode of death were long subjects of conversation around the lonely firesides of his neighbors, but no clue whatever could be obtained and the fate of the old pioneer ever remained one of the unsolved mysteries of the wilderness. After the death of her husband, the widow returned to her father's cabin and there remained until the marriage of John, her only son, to Elizabeth Truitt. The newly married couple took possession of the place settled and cleared by the missing father, and there spent the balance of their long lives. They had six children, of whom William, Eliza, and Samuel are dead, the living being James H., Amelia (wife of John A. Landrum), and Joseph, of Franklin township. James H. Blain, second of the children, was born at Massieville, Ross county, about the year 1844. Though still a youth at the opening of the civil war, he enlisted October 14, 1861, in Company I, Seventy-third regiment, Ohio volunteer infantry. This command was first sent to New Creek, W. Va., and later took part in the following named battles: Bull Pasture Mountain , Cross Keys, Cedar Mountain , Second Bull Run, Chancellorsville, and Gettysburg , to say nothing of many intervening minor engagements. Mr. Blain's regiment being sent to General Rosecrans in Tennessee he took part with it in the battles at Raccoon Mountain and Missionary Ridge. The next service was at Knoxville for the relief of General Burnside, after which they returned to Chattanooga . There the regiment reenlisted for the balance of the war, and Mr. Blain obtained a short rest at home on furlough. On his return, the regiment joined Sherman at Chattanooga and began the Atlanta campaign, during which they participated in the battles of Resaca, Dallas , Kenesaw Mountain , Peachtree Creek and the siege of Atlanta . Subsequently Mr. Blain was one of the great army on the "march to the sea," with its continual skirmishing and innumerable incidents of an exciting nature. Then came the arrival at Savannah , the grateful rest in camp, the crossing of the river into South Carolina , the fights at Bentonvilie and Goldsboro , and lastly the grand review at Washington which closed the mighty struggle. After reaching Ohio by way of Louisville and receiving his discharge, Mr. Blain returned home and resumed work. In October, 1867, he was married to Nancy Burns, a native of North Carolina , and settled on the old homestead cleared by his grandfather, owned by his father, and the place of his own birth. There he resided about five years, since which time he has rented and at present is engaged in the peaceful pursuits of agriculture, cultivating and grazing three hundred twenty-five acres of land. The names of his six children, all of whom are at home or living in Scioto township, are as follows: Charles, William, Harry, James, Mary, and Carrie.
CHARLES A. BLAIN
Charles A. Blain, a popular young farmer of Scioto township, is a representative of the fourth generation of his family since its origin in Ross county. The first one arrived in the same year that witnessed Daniel Chesnut's advent into the county and this was at a period hen the now populous and prosperous city of Chillicothe could only show two or three log cabins as a guarantee of what it was destined to become. The whole Scioto valley was at that time little better than a howling wilderness, giving little promise of the high order of civilization now prevailing throughout that modern " land of Goshen ." The citizen of today who lives in that lovely land, fruitful of every blessing to mankind, filled with cultivated fields, gardens and orchards which recall the "vale of Cashmere ," is naturally proud to know that he had an ancestor among those whose early sacrifices made all this possible. The story of the old pioneer, William Blain, and his mysterious fate, also of his son John and his grandson, James H. Blain, are detailed in the sketch of the latter which appears in this volume. By way of repetition it is sufficient to say that John Blain married Eliza Truitt, settled on the old Chestnut farm in Scioto township, reared a family of six children and was gathered to his fathers at a ripe old age. His son, James H., joined the Union army when a boy, marched and fought four years, took part in some of the greatest battles of the civil war, and altogether made a soldier record of unusual credit and brilliance. A year or two after his return from the war, he married Nancy E. Burns, a lady of Southern birth, then resident in Ross county, and by her had six children: Charles, William, Harry, James, Mary, and Carrie. Charles A. Blain, eldest of this family, was born in Scioto township, Ross county, August 23, 1868. He remained at home until his twenty-fourth year, during which time he obtained his education in the district schools and familiarized himself with all kinds of work on the farm. November 24, 1892, he was married to Blanche Edwards, of Ross county, after which he located on a farm in Scioto township and has since been engaged in the business connected therewith. Mr. and Mrs. Blain have five children: Ira, Ruth, Edith, Euphemia, and Howard. The parents are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.
JOHN B. BROWN
BROWN, JOHN B. , drayman; born in Ross Co., Ohio , Sept. 24, 1839; came to Linn Co. in 1852; occupation since, farming and teaming. His wife's maiden name was Rebecca C. Richards ; born in Pennsylvania July 21, 1847; married Nov. 22, 1865; children are Margaret , Leo F. , Samuel M. , Anna Mary , Fanny R. [Source: The history of Linn County Iowa ; Western Historical Company; 1878; transcribed by Andaleen Whitney]
Valentine Blankenship, chief engineer of the Chillicothe city water works, is a native of Scioto county, born on May 10, 1850. He is the only son of John and Sarah (White) Blankenship, the former a native of Virginia and the latter of Maryland . His father was an iron worker during most of the productive years of his life. He enlisted early in the civil war as a Union soldier in the Thirteenth Missouri regiment and was killed in the battle of Shiloh on April 6, 1862, at the age of about forty years. He was buried on the ground of that sanguinary battle, where his dust remains, with, that of many others on either side, to swell the list of unknown and unrecorded dead. His widow survives, at the age of seventy-six years, and is a cherished member of the family of her son Valentine. The latter, deprived of a father's assistance at so tender an age, was compelled to face the world and its hardships when still a mere child. After picking up a slender education in the schools of Scioto county, he became an apprentice under competent instructors to the trade of an engineer at the iron works at Bloom furnace. At the close of the civil war, when only sixteen years old, he went south and took charge of the Brownsport & Cumberland iron works, where he remained for over two years. In 1869, he came to Chillicothe and was employed for fourteen years as a locomotive engineer on the Baltimore & Ohio Southwestern railway. After the building of the Chillicothe water works, Mr. Blankenship was selected in 1882 as the chief engineer, .and he has continued in that position without intermission up to the present time. In 1877, he was married to Mary H, daughter of R. J. and Margaret (Ryan) Gardiner, of Chillicothe , where she was born, bred and educated. The same family physician who attended her mother when she was born, has been the attendant upon Mrs. Blankenship at the birth of all her own children. The latter are five in number, to-wit: Ada G., Clara May, Olive Jean, Walter D., and Marie, all still at home, the first two mentioned being graduates of the Chillicothe high school. Mr. Blankenship is a member of the Masonic fraternity, of the Odd Fellows, Knights of the Essenic Order, Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, and the National Association of Steam Engineers. His political affiliations are Republican. He has been a member of the city council and of the election board.
DR. W.F. CHENOWITH
Dr. W. F. Chenowith, one of the pioneer physicians of Nogales, is a native or Ross county, Ohio, where he was born in 1865. He was educated in his native state and was graduated from the medical department of the University of Cincinnati. Dr. Chenowith has been a resident of Nogales for twenty-three years, during which he has acquired an excellent practice and been eminently successful in his work. Dr. Chenowith is also County Superintendent of Health and Surgeon for the Southern Pacific Company north of the international line. He is a member of the American Medical Association. He is married and has three children. [Source: Who’s Who in Arizona" volume 1, 1913, by Jo Connors. Submitted by: FoFG.]
JOHN D. LM. CROCKWELL, M. D.
Dr. J. D. Crockwell was born in Chillicothe, Ohio, June 8, 1820. He, however, always claimed the state of Virginia, where he was reared, his parents being of the F. F. V. (First Families of Virginia) stock of that state, dating back to the old colonial days. His father was a physician of considerable note and he studied under him but later graduated from a medical college in St. Louis, Missouri.
Dr. Crockwell served as surgeon in the Mexican war, with headquarters at New Orleans. After the war, through the advice of General George W. Jones, he pioneered the way to Iowa and helped lay out the town of Sioux City. As evidence of is large interests at one time in real estate, there is hardly an abstract in Sioux City today that does not bear his name in its records. Following the crash of 1857 he wound up his real estate business there.
In 1862, having previously joined the Mormon church, he started west with three wagons, two of them being drawn by cattle, being thirteen cows under the yoke. On reaching Denver, the cows were pretty well jaded and as the season was well advanced, they stopped in that city, where he sold his stock and remained one year practicing medicine there.
Dr. Crockwell then fitted out with horses and came on to Utah, arriving in Salt Lake City, October 10, 1863. On his arrival he secured rooms in part of "Uncle John" Young’s home, a brother of President Young, on the lot where the Walker Bank now stands. The following spring he removed to Provo, where he remained three years, returning at the end of that time to Salt Lake. While in Provo he took part in the Black Hawk War of 1865-6. He became widely known throughout the state of Utah as a physician, surgeon and lecturer, and he died in Salt Lake City, March 17, 1885.
While in Iowa Dr. Crockwell married Dorcas Logan, formerly of Kentucky and a cousin of General A. Logan. Seven children were born to them, of whom two died in infancy but George W., James H., Lula, Mary and John grew to Manhood and womanhood. John, Lula and Mary are now deceased. George W., living in Portland, is also a physician and superintendent of the Latter-day Saints Sunday school there. He married Elyza Davy and has five living children, Cecil, Maud, Madera, Frank and Aurora. James H. has continued to make Utah his home. He peddled milk in crossing the plains and has always followed a business life. He is vice president of the United States Specialty and Manufacturing Company. He married Millie E. Basset, daughter of C. H. Bassett, a pioneer of Utah. They had nine children, four of whom are living: Earl, Lawrence, Lula and Clara.
Dr. Crockwell married a second time, Anna R. Rideout becoming his wife, and six children were born to them, four now deceased, while Charles L. and Dora are living. Charles L. was associated with the Salt lake Hardware Company in the credit department for nineteen years but is now managing a mine at Stockton, Utah. He married May Hawks and has two children, Stewart and Walter. Stewart served in the Ninety-first Division in the recent World was. Dora married Isaac Reese, an extensive sheep owner. They have for children, Dorcas, Elmer, Edna and Clarence. [Source: Utah since Statehood: Historical and Biographical Volume 2; By Noble Warrum; Publ. 1919; Transcribed by Richard Ramos] Contributed by Linda Rodriguez.
Columbus Dixon, of Gillespieville , Ohio , was born in Ross county on August 3, 1851, his father being Joseph Dixon, who is mentioned in this work. Columbus Dixon was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools of his native township. He has pursued farming as an occupation all his life and ranks high among those who best understand the principles of this calling. He makes a specialty of breeding Jersey cattle, and is regarded as one of the most successful in that line in the country; is widely known as a dealer, and has sold stock in nearly every state of the Union . At the leading public sale of Jersey cattle in the United States for ten years, held in 1898, Mr. Dixon sold eighty head for $8,000. He had one of the twenty-five Jersey cows on exhibition at the World's Fair at Chicago in 1893. This prize-winner was named Pridalia, No. 17249, and was one of the finest bred cows in America . Mr. Dixon's place is known far and wide as the Edgewood Stock Farm, and consists of 500 acres of land one mile from Londonderry . September 8, 1872, he was married to Mary C. Du Bois, daughter of Solomon and Maria Du Bois, natives of Ulster county, N. Y., who came to Ross county, Ohio, about the year 1836. Mr. and Mrs. Dixon have four living children, whose names are Laura, Ada , Roy C. and Mildred.
SIMON R. DIXON
Simon R. Dixon, an extensive land-owner in Ross county and dealer in thoroughbred cattle, is a member of a family long settled in Liberty township. His grandfather, Joseph Dixon, came from North Carolina to Ross county in 1804 and. a few years later started the pioneer grist mill, whose musical burrs proved a welcome novelty in that sparsely settled region. This primitive meal-maker was established in Liberty township and remained in the family for generations, being conducted by the founder until his death and afterward continued by his sons. To this day it is known as the Dixon mills. The pioneer Joseph Dixon was thrifty as well as shrewd and industrious, and by the time of his death had become owner of a large amount of land. He married Ann Ratcliff in the old North State , who shared his fortunes in Ohio and became the mother of several children, among the number being a namesake of her husband. This son, Joseph Dixon, the younger, born in 1814, was trained to work in the mill, and after his father's death in 1834 took charge of the business and conducted it to the end of his own life, a total period of forty years. He married Winnie Sophia Walker, who was born in Loudoun county, Va. , in 1815, and came to Ross county in girlhood. They located in Liberty township, where the remainder of their lives were spent, the wife dying in 1870, and the husband in November, 1874. Of their ten children five are now living. Joseph Dixon left a valuable estate, including about 800 acres of land, the homestead place being owned conjointly by Columbus and Fulton, two of his sons. Simon R. Dixon, third in order of birth of the children of Joseph and Winnie S. Dixon, was born under the parental roof in Liberty township, September 5, 1836. He remained with his father until about twenty-four years old, when he engaged in farming on his own account. He has risen to be one of the leading farmers and stock-dealers in the county, well known as a breeder of Shorthorn cattle and owns 600 acres of land in the vicinity of his home. In 1870 he built a fine residence between Vigo and Londonderry , and everything about his place bears evidence of good management and prosperity. Mr. Dixon has figured influentially in all the affairs of his township, serving several years as trustee, member of the school board for two decades and two terms as commissioner of Ross county. He has been conspicuous in the advocacy of good government and good morals, being a life-long supporter of the temperance cause and every movement calculated to advance it among the people. In 1860, he was married to Mary A., daughter of Joshua and Elizabeth (Ross) Jones. Her grandparents were Thomas and Elizabeth (Cox) Jones, pioneers from New Jersey in Ross county in the early part of the century. Mr. and Mrs. Dixon became the parents of thirteen children, of whom Mary P. died in childhood. The others in order of birth are Ella, Alma , Minnie, Charlie, Annie, Elizabeth , Edwin, Ethel, Vernon , Harry, Grace and Edith. Mr. Dixon and wife are members of the Society of Friends, in which the former has long been a leader and prominent worker.
WILLIAM R. DIXON
William R. Dixon, of Tucson , was born in Harrison township, Ross county, Ohio , on March 5, 1864. He was educated in the common schools of his district and entered upon the duties of farming, which has been his occupation throughout life. Mr. Dixon's industry and perseverance have been rewarded with success and he owns 160 acres of good land where he has lived for ten years. He is regarded as one of the leading farmers of Harrison township, where he has spent all of his life. Mr. Dixon has long been an active Republican but has never been an aspirant for office, however, he is often sent as a delegate to the various conventions of his party and had this honor conferred upon him for three years in succession. October 5, 1898, Mr. Dixon was married to Mrs. Ellen Stanhope of Harrison township, the widow of John I. Stanhope, and daughter of Isaac Wolford.
WILLIAM H. EAGLE, Junior
William H Eagle, Junior and Elizabeth M. Allen were married in Ross county, Ohio, December 28, 1871, and are both natives of Gallia county. He was born January 5, 1849, and his wife March 9, 1849. They have two children, namely, Jessie Bernice, born November 20, 1872, and Wilbertia, November 23, 1875. The parents of the subject of this sketch are George W. and Leantha (Glenn) Eagle, who are both natives of Gallia county, and who still reside here. William and Ella (Dupra) Allen, both of whom are deceased, were the parents of Mrs. Eagle. Farming is the occupation of Mr. Eagle, and his farm is located in Huntington township. His postoffice address is Vinton, Gallia county, Ohio. [SOURCE: "History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c"; James P. Averill; Hardesty & Co., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882]
Retired farmer, was born in Ross County, Ohio, September 21, 1814, and spent his boyhood days on a farm, receiving a common school education. Was there engaged in farming until he came to this county in the fall of 1868, when he settled in Independence and engaged extensively in farming and stock raising. He now owns 750 acres of land in Clay County, Mo., and 350 in this county, all of which is well improved. He also owns considerable town property. Mr. Entrekin was married in November, 1839, to Miss Jane Tarbert, a native of Pickaway County, Ohio, born May 9, 1816. They have three children: Nannie (now Mrs. Momyer), Mary and Jennie; one is deceased – Torbert. He and his family are members of the Presbyterian Church, of which he is an elder. [Source: The History of Jackson County, Missouri, Illustrated, Union Historical Company (1881) Transcribed by K. Mohler]
MISS MARTHA FINLEY
Miss Martha Finley, author, born in Chillicothe, Ohio, April, 26, 1828. She has lived many years in Maryland. Her father was Dr. James B. Finley, of Virginia, and her mother was Mary Brown, of Pennsylvania. The Finleys and Browns are of Scotch-Irish descent and have martyr blood in their veins. The name of their clan was Farquarharson, the Gaelic of Finley, and for many years Miss Finley used that name as her pen name. In 1853 Miss Finley began her literary career by writing a newspaper story and a little book published by the Baptist Board of Publication. Between 1856 and 1870 she wrote more than twenty Sunday-school books and several series of juveniles, one series containing twelve books. These were followed by "Casella" (Philadelphia, 1869), "Peddler of LeGrave," "Old Fashioned Boy" (Philadelphia, 1871), and "Our Fred" (New York, 1874). It is through her "Elsie" and "Mildred" series that she has become popular as a writer for the young. Miss Finley’s pen has not been employed in writing exclusively for the young. She has written three novels. "Wanted-A Pedigree" (Philadelphia, 1879), "Signing the Contract" (New York, 1879), and "Thorn in the Nest" (New York, 1886). Miss Finley resides in Elkton, Cecil County, Md. [Source: American Women, Frances Elizabeth Wilard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Volume 1, Copyright 1897. Transcribed by Marla Snow.]