Ross County, Ohio
REV. ROBERT C. GALBRAITH
Rev. Robert C.Galbraith. A man of strong character, earnest convictions, and deep consecration, Rev. Robert C.Galbraith, of Chillicothe, who died November 18, 1916 was for upwards of 40 years an active worker in the Presbyterian denomination, holding pastorates in different parts of Ohio. A son of Robert C.Galbraith, Sr., He was born in Frankfort, Ross County, Ohio, November 30, 1833, and they’re spent of the earlier years of his life. Robert C. Galbraith, Sr., was born, March 17, 1790, in Gortin, county Tyrone, Ireland, where his father, Andrew Galbraith, who was of Scotch descent, spent his entire life, being engaged in agricultural pursuits. Growing to manhood in Ireland, he was employed as a clerk in a mercantile establishment in county Tyrone until 1819, when he came to America, making his way directly to Chillicothe, Ohio. Soon after his arrival, he secured a position as a clerk in the store of William Carson, with whom he subsequently formed a partnership, and operated a store in Frankfort for some time. At that time there were neither railroads or canals in the state, and all goods were transported from the rivers and lakes with teams. Giving up his connection with the general store in 1839, he located on a nearby farm that had been improved by his father in law, Elijah Johnson, and thenceforth was engaged in tilling the soil until his death, May 11, 1862. The maiden name of the wife of Robert C. Galbraith, Sr., was Martha Johnson. She as born February 16, 1801, in Louisa County, Virginia, a daughter of a Elijah of and Betsy (Watkins) Johnson, natives, it is thought, of the same county. Coming with his family to Ohio in 1809, Elijah Johnson bought 1000 acres of land in Concord Township, Ross County, and immediately began the pioneer task of improving a homestead. He succeeded well in his undertakings, and in the course of a few years erected a substantial brick house, which is still used for residential purposes, burning the bricks used in its construction on his own farm. Late in life both he and his wife moved to Montgomery County, and there lived with a son. Mrs. Robert C. Galbraith, Sr., survived her husband, passing away March 5, 1875. She reared two children, namely: Robert C., This special subject of the sketch; and Eliza J., Who became a Physician, and was actively engaged in the practice of his profession and Chillicothe until his death, 1907. Acquiring his preliminary education in the district schools, Robert C. Galbraith was fitted for college in the academy of South Salem, Ross County, after which he continued his studies for a year at Hanover College, in Madison, Indiana. Going then to Oxford, Ohio, he was graduated from Miami University in 1853, and the following year studied theology at Princeton University. Wishing then to further advance knowledge of the theological subjects, he attended the theological seminary at New Albany, Indiana, which is now the Mccormick theological seminary of Chicago, Illinois. In 1856, Mr. Galbraith was licensed to preach by the Chillicothe presbytery, and in 1857 was ordained as a minister by the presbytery of Columbus. He soon after became pastor of the Presbyterian Church at Lancaster, Ohio, and continued active in the ministry for 42 years, holding pastorates in Concord, Frankfort, and Chillicothe, filling the pulpit of the Presbyterian church of the latter name city for 17 years. Early in 1861, Mr. Galbraith was appointed chaplain of the Third brigade, Ohio volunteers, with rank of captain, and was in service four months, being with his command in West Virginia. While pastor of the Presbyterian Church at Lancaster he was for four years chaplain at the Ohio reform farm. On June 11, 1856, Mr. Galbraith was united in marriage with Margaret Lapham Pugsley, which was born in Dutchess County, New York, and died in Chillicothe, Ohio, July 24, 1912. Her parents, Jacob and Mary (Ketcham) Pugsley, natives of the same county, came with their family to Ohio, locating first Fayette County, later settling in Dayton, from their moving to Hamilton County. Three children blessed the union of Mr. and Mrs. Galbraith, namely: Jacob R., an Atty.; Helen K., also engaged in the practice of law; and Eliza Johnson, a dentist. All are residents of Chillicothe. Mr. Galbraith was a member of the phi theta kappa society. He is author of a very interesting history of Chillicothe presbytery, which was published in 1889. [Source: A Standard History of Ross County, Ohio: An Authentic Narrative of the Past, with Particular Attention to the Modern Era in the Commercial, Industrial, Civic and Social Development. By: Lyle S. Evans.]
ERNEST A. GATES
Ernest A. Gates, worked for 34 years in the beater room at the Mead Paper Mill. He was born June 28, 1893, in Ross County, Ohio and died April 28, 1974, in Ross County, Ohio. He was the son of Lewis (Henry) Gates and Louella Shaw. He was married to Marie Marina Graves on January 12, 1914, in Ross County, Ohio. Marie Marina Graves was born September 3, 1895, in Ross County, Ohio and was the daughter of Austin Graves and Adaline Gray. They had seven children, all born in Ross County, Ohio. (1) Helen Marie was born May 13, 1950. She was married to Glenn Edward Smith on June 27, 1937, and Ross County, Ohio. Glenn Edward Smith was born on December 8, 1902, and died May 28, 1973. (2) Warren Nelson was born November 17, 1917, and married Ruth Burbank on February 20, 1937. (3) Dorothy (Sue) was born January 14, 1920. She married Robert Daniel Hartley, who was born on December 25, 1915, Ross County, Ohio, on August 15, 1935, in Kentucky. She married Charles Thomas Sewards, who was born June 8, 1920, in Ross County, Ohio, on November 24, 1949, in Ross County, Ohio. They had one child. (4) Marjorie Louise was born September 22, 1922, and died May 8, 1924, in Ross County, Ohio. (5) Thelma Jean was born February 17, 1925, and was married to Ralph Boyles. They had one child, Jody Jean Boyles. (6) Constance Mae was born was born on May 7, 1934, and was married on a March 6, 1955, in Ross County, Ohio, to John Warren Barnes, who was born on June 7, 1933, in Ross County, Ohio. They had two children. (7) Leary Allen was born on December 12, 1937. On January 18, 1963, he was married to Mary Delong, in Ross County, Ohio. Mary Delong was born on January 19, 1943, in Ross County, Ohio. They had two children. [Extracted from: History of Ross County, Ohio, volume 3. Submitted by: Carla Mascara.]
Austin Graves, farmer, born February 9, 1855, Ross County, Ohio, and died February 14, 1920, Ross County, Ohio, son of Nelson Graves and Marina Peecher; married January 28, 1882, Ross County, Ohio to Adaline Gray, born March 20, 1863, Washington County, Ohio, died May 6, 1943, Ross County, Ohio; daughter of Jacob Gray and Jane Dutton. They had six children, all born in Ross County, Ohio. (1) Howard Graves was born September 9, 1882, and married Ada Remley. They had four children. (2) Carrie May Graves was born October 17, 1883, and died March 2, 1921, Ross County, Ohio and was married to Shannon Graves. They had two children. (3) Clinton was born January 23, 1886, and died July 13, 1971, Ross County, Ohio. He was married in 1911, Ross County, Ohio to Bessie E. Toler. They had one child. (4) Stella was born May 21, 1892, and died June 15, 1971, in Ross County, Ohio. She married Ophir O. Campbell. They had two children. (5) Marie Marina, was born September 3, 1895, and was married to Ernest Gates on January 12, 1914, Ross County, Ohio. Ernest was born June 28, 1893, in Ross County, Ohio and died April 28, 1974, Ross County, Ohio. He was the son of Lewis (Henry) Gates and Louella Shaw. They had seven children. (6) Beatrice was born April 18, 1898 and died January 18, 1978, in Ross County, Ohio. She was married June 10, 1916, to Earl Kelley. They had two children. [Extracted from: History of Ross County, Ohio, volume 3. Submitted by: Carla Mascara.]
Robert Hanna, of Gillespieville, was born January 5, 1829, in Harrison county, Ohio . His parents were Matthew and Mary (Orr) Hanna, the former a native of Pennsylvania and the latter of Ohio , both born in 1805. Matthew was the son of James and Ann (McCullow) Hanna, the latter of whom came to Harrison county after her husband's death, and died there. Matthew came to the State at an early day and lived in various counties, finally reaching Jackson county where he died in 185T at the age of fifty-two. His wife survived him until 1891, when she died at the age of eighty-six. The latter's father, Robert Orr, was a native of Ireland who came to America about the year 1780. Ann Huston, whom he subsequently married, came over in the same vessel, though at the time they were not acquainted with each other. Robert Orr came to Harrison county, Ohio , at an early age and remained there until his death in 1858, at the age of ninety-one. He had a family of nine daughters, whose ages averaged eighty years at time of death. Matthew and Mary (Orr) Hanna had twelve children, of whom six are still living. These are Robert, Zipporah, James, William T., Matthew and Watson. Robert Hanna, who is the subject of this sketch, was reared on a farm and came to Ross county in 1846. Since then with the exception of four years, he has always voted in Liberty township of that county. He has always followed farming as an occupation and owns about 200 acres of land. Though a charter member of the Republican party, he has never been an office-seeker, but for some years has held the position of school director. In 1855, Mr. Hanna was married to Eliza J. Corken, daughter of Thomas and Rebecca (Jones) Corken, and granddaughter of Robert Corken, a native of Ireland , who came to Ross county about the year 1798. Robert Corken married Grace Mason, a native of Maryland , and both of them died in Ross county. Thomas Corken lived until the age of ninety-four years, and his wife was about seventy when she died. His sister Rachael lived ninety-seven years, and another sister named Jane reached the age of eighty. Robert and Eliza Hanna have a family of eight children. Of these Orr C. is a traveling salesman; Mary H. is married to William A. Jones; Thomas Mason is an extensive farmer and stockdealer; Samuel E. is a farmer of Fayette county; Rebecca is the wife of Norris Jones, of Ross county; Candace is the wife of Elting S. Du Bois, of Jefferson township; Ethel is: the wife of J. Walter Dixon, a dentist of Cedarville, Ohio. Matthew Elting Hanna was educated at West Point and is now in Cuba . He is school commissioner of the island and author of the Cuban school law, serving in General Wood's staff. He is a man of fine talents, excellent education and has been of great service in Cuba , both to the people of the island and the government of the United States . ["The County of Ross: A History of Ross County, Ohio, from the Earliest Days ..., Volume 2; By Henry Holcomb Bennett, pub. 1902]
Silas Hare, of Sherman, (TX) was born in Ross county, Ohio, Nov. 13, 1827. He was educated in Indiana and volunteered from that state during the Mexican war, his captain being John McDougal since governor of California, while his lieutenant was Gen. Lew Wallace afterward governor of New Mexico and American Ambassador to Turkey. Mr. Hare was at Monterey, and in the battle of Buena Vista he received a painful lance wound. In 1853 he removed to Texas locating in Belton where he began the practice of law. In 1859 he went to Messilla, New Mexico, where he successfully practiced law for over two years till the war began when he became captain in the Confederate army. In a few months he was appointed Chief Justice of the Territory, but longing for active service he resigned in 1862 to again become captain in the army. He was attached to the Arizona brigade and was with it in many battles and skirmishes. In 1873 Mr. Hare became district judge of the district comprising Dallas, Collin and Grayson counties. In 1886 he was elected to Congress and re-elected in 1888. He was married April 20, 1850 to Miss Octavia E. Rector. Their son, Luther R. Hare, was a lieutenant under Gen. Custer in the disastrous battle and massacre of Big Horn. He was Colonel of the 1st Texas Cavalry in the Spanish-American war; and in 1899 was Colonel of the 33rd infantry and in many battles and skirmishes in the Philippines, being in command of the party that rescued Lieut. Gilmore; and in 1900 was promoted brigadier-general. Another son of Judge Hare's is Hon. Silas A. Hare, Jr., who is a prominent lawyer in Sherman. Judge Hare now lives in Washington, D. C, where he enjoys a legislative practice. [Source: Texans Who Wore the Gray, Volume I, by Sid S. Johnson; transcribed by FoFG mz]
THOMAS G. HORTON
THOMAS G. HORTON, a prominent farmer of Allen Township, is a native of Jefferson County, this State, and was born August 23, 1826. He was the second son born to John and Jane (Holcome) Horton, both natives of Virginia, the farmer of German and the latter of Irish and English descent. When Thomas was ten years old, or in 1836, his parents came to Miami County and located within the limits of the present Allen Township. There his youth was spent assisting his father to clear and cultivate the farm. As soon as the settlement was provided with a school he became one of its students and he thus obtained the rudiments of an education. But the advantages were poor and in consequence his early education was quite limited. By diligent study, both in and out of school, he, however, obtained sufficient education to take charge of the school himself, which he did at the age of nineteen. He was successfully engaged in the capacity of a teacher for eight years, spending his vacation upon the farm. After he became of age he began farming for himself and he has been chiefly engaged in this pursuit ever since. He located upon the farm he now occupies in 1848. In 1858, in the hope of recovering his wife's health, which had become seriously impaired, he took his family to Winchester, Ohio. There Mr. Horton engaged in the manufacture of shoes and boots; but two years later he returned to his farm in this county where, excepting two years spent upon his father's farm, he has since continued to reside. Harriet M. Fenimore became his wife April 10, 1848. She was born in Ross County, Ohio, November 3, 1826, being the daughter of William M. and Maria (Hurst) Fenimore, who, also, were natives of Ross County, Ohio. Their relationship remained unbroken until October 3, 1874, when the wife and mother died. On the 16th of March, 1876, his marriage with Mrs. Mary L. Yost occurred. She was the daughter of John and Laura (Perham) York, who were respectively natives of North Carolina and Vermont. By his first wife Mr. Horton was the father of nine children, as follows: John T., Emily J., William F., Joseph M., Mary E., Laura M., Charles G., Addison E. and Julia E., of whom John T., Emily J., Mary E. and Laura M. died in infancy. He and his present wife are the parents of six children. They are Hannah M., Ora, Cora M., Clara, one infant daughter, unnamed, and another that died in infancy, unnamed. Ora and Clara also died in infancy. Our subject and wife are members of the Christian Church. Politically, he is an ardent Prohibitionist. He has held the office of assessor one term, and during the campaign of 1886, he was the candidate of his party for the office of sheriff. He is an industrious and successful farmer, an intelligent gentleman and a worthy and honored citizen. [History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present ... By Brant & Fuller, Chicago]
PEMBROOK B. KING
The successful farmer mentioned in the introduction to this sketch has resided in Neosho county since 1870, the year that he purchased a preemption right of a settler and occupied the claim out of which he had developed his present farm. Mr. King was a settler from Illinois but was born in Ross county, Ohio, on the 9th of January, 1840. His parents, John and Mary (Apple) King, were born in Virginia and became early settlers of Ohio. In 1847 they moved out to Illinois and settled in Crawford county where the father died in 1868 at sixty-eight years old, while the mother passed away in 1855. Only three of their children are living, William H., Harvey R., and P. B., of this review. On a farm in Illinois was our subject reared and in the district schools was he educated. He enlisted in August, 1862, in Company D, 98th Illinois volunteer infantry. He served through much of the important work of the war and Hoover's Gap and Chickamauga and Selma were some of the engagements in which he took part. He was wounded by a piece of shell in the Chickamauga engagement which laid him up for eight months, after which he was detailed to the transportation department at Louisville, Kentucky. As soon as he was able for field duty again he rejoined his regiment and remained at the front till the close of the war. The time between the close of the war and his advent to Kansas Mr. King spent on the farm in his home county in Illinois. As a citizen of Kansas he has built up a splendid farm in Neosho county, six miles north of Parsons, and the area of his estate numbers one hundred and sixty acres. He is a Republican, a member of the Grand Army and not married. [Source: History of Neosho and Wilson Counties, Kansas, Pub. by L. Wallace Duncan, Fort Scott, Kansas, Monitor Printing Co., 1902; transcribed by VB]
MORGAN F. KNADLER, SR., ice business and contractor, ranchman; (Rep.); b. Aug. 10, 1853, Chillicothe, Ross county, Ohio; s. of Peter Winfield and Anna Knadler; educ. pub. schls. Chillicothe; engaged in U.S. service, 1867-72; located in Wyoming, March 12, 1872; furnished the water supply for Laramie, 1872-8; engaged in livery business in Laramie, 1878-83; organized Co. A, 1st Wyo. National Guard, 1878; has been in the ice business for the past 30 years; served three years on Laramie police force; deputy sheriff Albany county, 1895-6; Lieut. Second U.S. Vol. Cav. (Torres Rough Riders), Spanish-American war, 1898-9; special deputy in Sheriff Young's office, 1899-1900; under-sheriff Albany county, 1904-6; mem. 32 deg. Mason; Elks; I.O.O.F. since 1874; F.O.E.; W.O.W. Address: Laramie, Wyoming.m[Source: Men of Wyoming, Publ 1915. Transcribed by Denise Moreau]
JOHN DAVID KNESS
JOHN DAVID KNESS, section 35, was born in Ross County, Ohio, May 16, 1832. George Kness, his father, who was in the war of 1812, was a native of Pennsylvania, as was also his mother, whose maiden name was Lydia Strawser. In 1837, the family moved to Sangamon County, Illinois, and after living there some three years, located in Logan County. One year later, or in February, 1842, Jefferson County, Iowa, became their home. John D. passed his youth on a farm, his educational advantages being very limited. While yet a young man, he spent about four years in traveling over the different states and territories. July 7, 1853, he was married in Keokuk County, Iowa, to Mary Jane Webb, who was born in Keokuk County, in March, 1835, and a daughter of William and Innocent Webb. Mr. and Mrs. Kness have eight children living: George W., Daniel, Maggie, Isaac A., Sarah A., John C., Arthur A. and Jerry F. Three children are deceased: Martha J., Dora C. and Mary Isabelle. After his marriage, Mr. Kness resided on a farm in Keokuk County, Iowa, for some four years, when he removed to Kansas, living there for one year. In the fall of 1859, he returned to Jefferson County, Iowa, and after remaining there about five years, he went to Fort Kearney. Three years later he went back to Jefferson County, Iowa, living there until 1874, when Holt County, Missouri, became his home. There he continued to dwell one year, after which he came to this county, and settled in Dale Township, on his present place. He now owns a farm of 160 acres with a fair house, and orchard of 300 peach and 130 apple trees, etc. Mr. Kness is Democratic in politics. [The History of Holt and Atchison Counties, Missouri; St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
REVEREND JAMES Q LAKIN
Was born in Fairfield county, Ohio, May 29, 1815; is a son of Daniel and Theadosia (Shreves) Lakin; his father died March 2, 1839, and his mother July 6, 1824. The first marriage of Mr. Lakin occurred in Fairfield county, Ohio, June 22, 1836, to Eliza White, a daughter of Jesse and Sarah White; she was born December 11, 1813, and died June 22, 1846. She was mother of the following children: Jesse W., born March 12, 1837, resides in Terre Haute, Indiana; Mary J. H., January 6, 1839, died January 13, 1862; William H. S., August 19, 1840, died November 4, 1840; Francis A., October 12, 1841, died January 22, 1847; Sarah A., December 30, 1843, died July 9, 1849; Catherine, June 7, 1846, died June 10, 1846. The second marriage of Mr. Lakin was to Martha A. Vermillion - February 23, 1847; she died August 27, 1862. She had the following children: Delay F., born November 25, 1847, died March 7, 1848; Cyrus B., February 20, 1849, resides at Des Moines, Iowa; Karleen, July 29 1850, resides at Dresden, Ohio; Ann Jennet, May 15, 1852, resides at Columbus, Ohio; James E., November 27, 1853, resides at Independence, Missouri; Alice Grant, September 7, 1856, resides in Franklin county, Ohio; Uriah H., June 16, 1858, resides in Columbus, Ohio; Eddie C., June 25, 1860, resides in Columbus, Ohio. The present wife of Mr. Lakin is Martha A. Black, who was born in Ross county, Ohio, June 15, 1827; they were married in that county, January 28, 1864. She is a daughter of Charles and Anna (Rittenhouse) Black; her father died May 3, 1836, and her mother, March 25, 1844. Two of the sons of Mr. Lakin were soldiers in the late war. Francis A. served as first lieutenant, and was in duty during the whole of the war; he was taken prisoner, and confined at Libby prison eighteen months. Cyrus B. served about eighteen months; they both got their honorable discharge at the close of the war. Mr. Lakin came to this county in 1881, and has charge of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Centreville, Ohio, with his postoffice address at Thurman, Gallia county, Ohio. [SOURCE: "History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c"; James P. Averill; Hardesty & Co., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882]
The family of Massie, settled at Coddington county, Cheshire, in consequence of the marriage of Hugh Massie with Agnes, daughter and heiress of Nicholas Bold, aud his son William by the said Agnes purchased with other manors that of Coddington in the reign of Henry, VI. This William married Alice, daughter and heiress of Adam Woton, of Edgerly, and the family subsequently intermarried with that of Grosvenor, of Eaton. The celebrated General Massie so distinguished during the Civil Wars, was the son of John Massie, of Coddington, by Anne Grosvenor, of Eaton. The present representative is the Rev. Richard Massie, of Coddington. Arms.—Quarterly gu. and or — in the 18t & 4th quarters three fieurs de-lis ar, for difference a Canton ar. Crest — A demi-pegasus with wings displayed quarterly or. and gu. Massie Quarterly az and ar. on the 1st and 4th a millet, Or. Crest— A horned Owl ppr. Massie Ar a pile, quarterly gu. and or: in the field quarter a lion pass, off the Held. Crest — Between two trees a lion salient ar.—[Encyclopaedia of Heraldry of England, Scotland and Ireland, by John Burke.]
The first representatives of the family in America were Major Thomas Massie and William, his brother, who settled in New Kent County, in the Colony of Virginia. Thence Major Thomas Massie moved to Frederick County, and afterwards settled in Nelson county, where he owned large estates on Tye river and about the head waters of Rockfish river. For his services in the War of the Revolution he received a grant from the Government of valuable lands in Scioto Valley, Ohio, near the present city of Chillicothe. He married Sally Cocke, and spent the remaining years of his life in retirement at his seat, known as "Level Green," in Nelson County. The issue of this marriage were three sons: Thomas, William and Henry.
Dr. Thomas Massie, the eldest son, married  Lucy Waller, by whom he had two sons; [i] Waller, [ii] Patrick; and two daughters, one of whom married Boyd, and the other of whom married Wm. O. Goode. His second wife was  Sally Cabell; by whom he had one son, Paul. Waller Massie, eldest son of Dr. Thos. Massie, married Mary James of Chillicothe, Ohio, by whom he had issue:  Gertrude Waller Massie,  Thomas Massie, recently deceased without issue. Patrick Massie, second son of Dr. Thomas Massie, married Susan Withers, by whom he had issue:  Robert,  Patrick C.,  Thomas, Thornton,  Withers,  .  Susan. William Massie, second son of Major Thomas Massie, was married — times. His eldest son was Col. Thos. J. Massie, of Nelson, lately deceased without issue. His daughter, Florence, married  Tunstall, son of Whitmell P. Tunstall,  Judge Jno. D. Horsley, of Nelson.
Henry Mamie, of Falling Springs Valley, Alleghany County, Virginia, third son of Major Thomas Massie, married  Susan Preston Lewis, October 22nd, 1810, daughter of John Lewis of the Sweet Springs, and Mary Preston, daughter of Capt. William Preston of Smithfield, Montgomery county;  Elizabeth Daggs, May 18th, 1826, the daughter of Hezekiah and Margaret. The issue of said Henry Massie by his first wife, Susan Preston Lewis, were:  Sarah Cocke, who married Rev. Franck Stanley and died without issue on March 30, 1879.  Mary Preston, born September 26, 1813, married John Hampden Pleasants, December 15, 1829, and died April 18, 1837, leaving issue: [i] James Pleasants: [ii] Ann Eliza, who married Douglas H. Gordon: [iii] Mary Lewis, who died in infancy.  Henry Massie, Jr.  Eugenia S., born February 19, 1819, married Samuel Gatewood. and died October, 1884. leaving issue.  Thomas Eugene Massie.  Susan Lewis, who died in infancy. Said Henry.Massie died in January, 1841; and Susan Preston, his wife, died November 22, 1825, in the thirty-third year of her age. Said Henry Massie had by his second wife, Elizabeth, one son, Hezekiah, now living in Falling Spring Valley on his paternal estate.
Henry Massie, Jr. , oldest son of Henry Massie and Susan Preston Lewis, was born July 4, 1816, married Susan Elizabeth Smith, March 23, 1841, daughter of Thos. B. Smith of Savannah, Georgia, and Caroline Sophia Rebecca Thomson, his wife, who was the daughter of William Russell Thomson, of Charleston, South Carolina, who was the son of Col. Wm. R. Thomson, born 1729, died 1796, who was the son of William Thomson (of the family of James Thomson, the English poet), and the founder of the family in America. The issue of said Henry Massie, Jr., and his wife Susan, who was born February 5th, 1822, and died November 25th, 1887, were:  Henry Lewis Massie, born May 12, 1842, died October 5, 1887, unmarried.  Caroline Thomson, born December 16, 1845, and married November 8, 1865, to James Pleasants.  Lulie, bora June 15, 1849, died May 7, 1878.  Thomas Smith Massie, born August 15, 1850, died Sept. 17, 1863.  William Russell Massie, born February 24, 1852, now living in Richmond, Virginia.  Susan Elizabeth, born February 2, 1855, died January 10, 1869. Charles Philip Massie, born November 15, 1857, died October 31, 1863.  Eugene Carter Massie, born May 27, 1861, now practicing law in Richmond, Virginia. Dr. Thomas Eugene Massie, second son of Henry Massie and Susan Preston Lewis, was born April 22, 1822, married in 1858 Mary James Massie, the widow of Waller Massie, and died in 1863, leaving issue:  Frank Aubrey Massie, now practicing law in Charlottesville, Virginia.  Eugenia Massie, who married Oscar Underwood of Kentucky, now living in Birmingham, Alabama.  Juanita Massie. [History of Virginia From Settlement of Jamestown to Close of The Civil War by Robert Alonzo Brock and Virgil Anson Lewis, 1888 – Transcribed by AFOFG]
GEORGE C. MAUGHMER, M.D.
GEORGE C. MAUGHMER, M. D., is a native of Ross County, Ohio, and was born July 19, 1848. His parents, George and Mary A. (Street) Maughmer, were also both native of Ohio, and were born as follows: The father was born in Ross County, February 2, 1814,'and the mother in Fayette County, August 17, 1813. They were married in Ross County, Ohio, January 8, 1835, and from thence in 1860 moved to Miami County, Indiana, where they still reside. They were parents of six children, viz: Sarah C., Margaret N., Hannah J., John W., George C. and Elizabeth C. George C, our subject, came with his parents to this county in 1860, where he has resided ever since. He was educated at the Oberlin College, of Oberlin, Ohio, after which he engaged in teaching school for some time, and in 1870 began reading medicine under the instructions of Dr. E. J. Kendall, with whom he remained for about three years, and in the winter of 1871-72 attended the Indiana Medical College of Indianapolis, Indiana, after which he resumed his studies and did some practice, and in the winter of 1872-73 took his second course of lectures at the same college and graduated on February 28, 1873. He then returned to Waupecong, Indiana, and opened up a practice for himself, which he has continued since. He was married in Howard County, Indiana, December 24, 1872, to Margaret, daughter of John G. and Julia A. (Lovins) Gayer. She was born in Howard County, Indiana, June 15, 1854. In 1883, Dr. Maughmer attended his third term of lectures at the Indiana Medical College and received his diploma of an Ad E undem Degree. Has had born to him two children, viz: Stella, born October 8, 1873, and Germanicus, born June 20, 1876. The Doctor and his wife are members of the U. B. Church, and he is a member of the Howard County Medical Society. He is an intelligent and enterprising man and a thorough medical scholar, as well as a successful physician and surgeon. [History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present ... By Brant & Fuller, Chicago]
JOHN McCOLLISTER, farmer, section 35, is a native of Ross County, Ohio, was born August 10, 1833, and is a son of Andrew and Maria McCollister. The former was a native of Dorchester County, Maryland, born July 12, 1801, his parents being Robert and Ann McCollister. Andrew moved with his parents to Ross County, Ohio, in 1802. He married July 17, 1823, Miss Mariah Kilpatrick, a native of Ross County, Ohio, born November 17, 1805. They soon settled at the old homestead and remained till June, 1856, when their family went to Johnston County, Iowa. The following spring they came to Atchison County, Missouri, and located where their son John W. now resides. The father died February 12, 1872, and the mother survived till September 28, 1881. The subject of this sketch spent his boyhood days and received a good education in Ohio. He was married March 10, 1857, to Miss Jane Kirkwood, who was born in Ross County, Ohio, December 22, 1834. She was a daughter of James and Ann Kirkwood. Her father was born in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, April 6, 1811, went to Ross County, Ohio, in 1834, and was married in January, 1834, to Miss Ann Young. In 1857, they moved to Montgomery County, Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. McCollister came to Missouri with their parents, and have since lived here. Their family consists of five children: William W., Belle I., Clara, Hallie and James A. Mr. McC.’s farm consists of 320 acres of fine improved land. Mrs. McC. Is a member of the M.E. Church South. [The History of Holt and Atchison Counties, Missouri; St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
JOHN H. MILLER
John H. Miller, manager of the Western Union telegraph company at Chillicothe , is a native of Pickaway county, Ohio , born May 8, 1852. His parents were John and Mary (Demuth) Miller, both natives of Pennsylvania , who came to Pickaway county, where they subsequently married and spent their lives. The father was a merchant in Circleville for many years and was also interested in the manufacture of hats. The mother died in 1870, at the age of fifty years, and the father passed away in 1878 when seventy-two years old. They had three children, of whom John H. Miller is the only survivor, Otis dying in infancy and Louisa at the age of fifteen. By a previous marriage the-father had two children, William and Margaret, the former now carrying on the business established by his father, the latter deceased at the age of seventeen. John H. Miller was educated in the public schools of Circleville, where he also learned telegraphy and became an operator at the age of eighteen. For eight years he served in the office of the train dispatcher at Chillicothe , from which he was promoted in 1880 to the managership of the Western Union office, the position he now holds. Mr. Miller is a good Republican and has received honors at the hands of his party. He served two terms as a member of the Chillicothe city council. September 12, 1901, he was nominated by the Republicans as their candidate for the office of auditor of Ross county and, after a hot and vigorous campaign, he was elected in the November following. In October, 1902, he will enter into this office for a term of three years. October 22, 1879, he was married to Lida Scholderer, of Chillicothe . Her parents were John F. and Sophia Scholderer. The latter came from Germany to Chillicothe in early childhood, and the father, now dead, was a native of Chillicothe , where, in the last years of his life, he was a member of the firm of Ireland & Scholderer, dealers in stoves and tinware. Mr. and Mrs. Miller are members of the first Presbyterian church, he being a member of the board of trustees and clerk of the session and both zealous in religious work. Mr. Miller is prominently associated with the Masonic fraternity, having attained the commandery degrees, and for the last fifteen years has been recorder of Chillicothe commandery, No. 8. ["The County of Ross: A History of Ross County, Ohio, from the Earliest Days ..., Volume 2; By Henry Holcomb Bennett, pub. 1902]
EPHRAIM H. MINEAR
Ephraim H. Minear was born in Yellowbud, Ross county, Ohio , November 25, 1840. His parents were William and Margaret ( Hobbs ) Minear, the former of whom was born in Union township in 1815. He was a farmer by occupation and spent his whole life on the same place. Besides Ephraim Minear. the subject of this sketch, there were two other children, Elizabeth and Pelitha, both of whom died in infancy. The father died at the early age of twenty-five, his widow surviving until 1868. Their son Ephraim lived in Yellowbud for five years and then went to work in the country at a salary of some twelve or fifteen dollars a year. August 11, 1862, he enlisted at Yellowbud in Company K, Eighty-ninth Ohio infantry, as a musician. After serving one year, he was discharged for disability and returned to his home in Ohio . He then learned the carpenter's trade, which was his means of livelihood for many years thereafter. On March 18, 1868, he was married to Ellen Gamble, of whose three children two died in infancy and Fletcher, the only survivor, lives in Chillicothe . The first wife died March 18, 1881, and Mr. Minear married Ida Madden September 26, 1885. Their only child is named Belle and lives at home with her parents. In 1886, Mr. Minear removed to Andersonville , Ross county, of which place he was appointed postmaster in 1889. He held this place for two years and in 1898 was reappointed by President McKinley. In 1886, he was elected clerk of his township and has retained that position ever since. In politics he is a stanch Republican and he has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal church since 1857. ["A Standard History of Ross County, Ohio: An Authentic Narrative of ...", Volume 2; By Lyle S. Evans, pub. 1917 - Sub. by Karen Seeman]
James Monette, of Bastrop, La., was born in 1808, on the 2nd of January, in the state of Ohio. His father, Samuel Monette, was a native of North Carolina, who after receiving a good collegiate education became a leading physician at Chillicothe, Ohio, and who was also a Methodist minister, devoting all of his time to his two professions. He removed from Ohio to Mississippi. He was for many years a member of the Masonic fraternity. His birth occurred in 1777. He took for his wife Miss Mary Wayland, who was a native of Virginia. They were the parents of nine children, only two of whom are now living - our subject and a sister who lives in Kentucky. Our subject came with his parents to Mississippi in 1821 and his father died two years later in Georgia, his mother surviving until 1851. The paternal grandfather of James Monette was a native of North Carolina, and lived to be more than a hundred years of age. His maternal grandfather was also a native of North Carolina. A brother of our subject, John Wesley, was the author of a two-volume work called the "History of the Mississippi Valley." James Monette received his early education in Virginia, and later attended Washington college. He has been a farmer all his life. In 1829 he was married to Miss Lucinda Clark, by Rev. Thermon, a Methodist divine. His wife was born January 3, 1806. They became the parents of two children, both of whom died in infancy. Mr. Monette first began farming in Madison parish and came to his present plantation in 1852. He is the owner of 900 acres of good farming land and his principal crops are cotton and corn. He is now too old to do a great deal of work, consequently rents his farm. He has also followed milling to some extent. He owns a large sawmill, a gristmill, a cotton-gin and a molasses mill, making the latter by steam. His fine old plantation is only about four miles southeast of the county seat of the parish, Bastrop, and is well located and their home is one of the pleasantest to be found in the parish. Mr. and Mrs. Monette are well and favorably regarded in the community in which they live, and one is sure of a hospitable welcome when visiting there. The old gentleman is well posted in all matters relating to the parish and is considered one of the best and reliable citizens here. He joined the Masonic fraternity when he was forty years old and is now a member of the council. He and his wife are members of the Good Hope Methodist church in good standing and are loved by all. Mr. Monette is a very industrious old man and often does a good day's work when necessary. He is full of the energy which he possessed in his youth. At the time of the war he was ready to go in defense of his loved country, but was kept at home on account of being a miller, but did good service to his country while at home. He has always been an economical man, and has not owed a dollar since the war. He is very temperate in all his habits and strongly opposes the liquor traffic. He is now in his eighty-third year and undoubtedly attributes much of his good health and strong constitution to his temperate manner of living, and is a worthy example to the rising generations. [Source: Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Louisiana; Chicago; The Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1892; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
WILLIAM C. NEWELL
William C. Newell, postmaster and major of Bainbridge, is a native of Highland county, born in 1841. His father, Samuel Newell, was a native of Belmont county, Ohio , and for many years was proprietor of the old Foraker mills in Highland county. He died in Bainbridge in 1895. William C. Newell, the only son, was educated in Highland county and had not reached his majority when the civil war broke out He enlisted in the Sixtieth Ohio infantry, with which he served several months, and then obtained a transfer to the Twenty-fourth Ohio battery, of which he was sergeant, continuing with that organization until the close of the war. His whole service with the two commands footed up a period of twenty-seven months. Returning from the army, Mr. Newell engaged in the milling business with his father and so continued for a number of years. In 1876, he was elected sheriff of Highland county, and served in that capacity until 1880. In the spring of 1889 he disposed of his milling interests, removed to Bainbridge, Ross county, and there resumed the same occupation. After a continuance in the milling business for three or four years, Mr. Newell was in 1897 appointed postmaster at Bainbridge, which office he has since continuously held. He has also been honored by election as justice of the peace and mayor of Bainbridge and is serving his fourth term as mayor and second term as justice of the peace. In 1882, Mr. Newell was married to Margaret B. Foraker, sister of Ohio 's eloquent son and distinguished United States senator, Hon. Joseph B. Foraker. They have two sons, whom they have named Frank Foraker and Joseph Benson Newell, respectively. The religious affiliations of the family are with the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Newell is a Knight Templar and for some years served as commander of the Grand Army Post at Bainbridge. ["The County of Ross: A History of Ross County, Ohio, from the Earliest Days ..., Volume 2; By Henry Holcomb Bennett, pub. 1902 - Sub. by Karen Seeman]
JAMES D. NICHOLS
James D. Nichols was born in Ross county, Ohio , July 8, 1830. His father, James Nichols, was a native of Maryland , who came to Ohio in 1800 and settled in Ross county. He was a miller by trade and worked at that occupation for about thirty years. Before he left Maryland he married Martha Beard, by whom he had twelve children, of whom only two survive, James D., who is the subject of this sketch, and John T., who is living in Texas . The names of the others are as follows: Addison, Lucretia, William, Elizabeth, Margery, Effie J., Charlotte, William R., Miranda and Victoria. Besides the milling business, which was his specialty, the father also carried on farming in a general way, being regarded as an industrious and upright citizen. His death occurred in 1863, his wife only surviving him about one year and dying in 1864. James D., who was the eighth of the twelve children, attended the schools of his district and obtained the kind of education common to the youth of those days. He remained at home until he reached twenty-three, after which he taught school for five years. November 19, 1859, he was married to Susan Augusta, by whom he had two children, Melvin and Philena, both of whom are living at home. After marriage Mr. Nichols settled down to farming, which he has since followed, having lived on the same place for sixty-eight years. In politics Mr. Nichols is Democratic and his religious affiliations are with the Methodist Episcopal church. ["The County of Ross: A History of Ross County, Ohio, from the Earliest Days ..., Volume 2; By Henry Holcomb Bennett, pub. 1902 - Sub. by Karen Seeman]
CHARLES H. NOBLE
Charles H. Noble, a representative farmer of Deerfield township, belongs to the generation who have grown up in Ross county since the civil war and carried on agricultural operations by modern methods. He is a son of Joshua Noble, who was born November 18, 1822, in Ross county, and here received his education and training for the pursuit which was to constitute his life-long business. Joshua Noble embarked in farming at an early age and obtained success in that line, besides achieving a position of prominence and influence in his community. The public regard was shown by his frequent summons to hold various township offices and he was generally at the front when movements were on foot to introduce improvements of any kind. In 1844 he was married to Lavina Wright, with whom he lived most affectionately until her death in 1888, he surviving her three years and passing away in 1891. They became the parents of eight children, seven of whom are living: John, Peter (deceased), George, Milton, Lafayette, of Deerfield township, Nannie, Dora, and Charles H. Charles H. Noble was born in Deerfield township, Ross county, March 29, 1865; was educated in the district schools and trained to farm work from boyhood to maturity. In due time he had a farm of his own and has devoted all of his working life to agricultural pursuits. January 15, 1891, he was married to Allie, daughter of David Speakman, an old resident of Deerfield township. The union has resulted in the birth of four children: Roy, Dora; John and George. ["The County of Ross: A History of Ross County, Ohio, from the Earliest Days ..., Volume 2; By Henry Holcomb Bennett, pub. 1902 - Sub. by Karen Seeman]
TIMOTHY H. PROUD
A native of Fayette County, Ohio, was born March 31, 1836. John Proud, his father, who was born in Ross County, Ohio, married Sarah H. King, a native of Fayette County, of that state. In 1849 the family moved to Howard County, Indiana, where they lived until 1864, then emigrating to Holt County, Missouri, and settling near Oregon, where they still reside. The youth of the subject of this sketch was passed on a farm, receiving a common school education. In 1871 he removed from Holt County to his present place in section 34, of Dale Township, Atchison County, and is now the owner of 160 acres of good land, there being on his farm an orchard of 100 apple, 700 peach and other fruit trees. Mr. Proud was married October 30, 1859, in Fayette County, to Miss E.E. Goldsberry, daughter of Amos Goldsberry. She is a native of Ross County, but was raised in Fayette County. Mr. and Mrs. Proud have had seven children, six of whom are living: Emmerson T., born September 9, 1860; Anna W., born October 9, 1864; Sarah A., born May 20, 1866; Samuel E., born November 12, 1867; Jessie B., born October 10, 1869, and Clark W., born October 6, 1872. Mr. and Mrs. Proud are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. In his political preferences Mr. P. is Republican. [The History of Holt and Atchison Counties, Missouri; St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by K. Mohler.]
LORENZO D. RAY
Lorenzo D Ray, M.D., of Gillespieville, was born in Jackson county, August 3, 1848. His parents were John G. and Louisa (Dixon) Ray, both natives of Vinton county, Ohio. John G was the son of Teague and Amy (Graves) Ray, the former of North Carolina and the latter born in Kentucky, while her parnets were on the way to Ohio in 1805. Teague was a son of Thomas and Charity (Teague) Ray, botn North Carolinians who came to Ross county in 1805, and settled in Jefferson township on a farm now owned by George Rittenour, but soon went on Middle fork of Salt Creek, two miles west of Ray, where they spent the balance of their days, and left a family of seven children. Teague and Amy (Graves) Ray spent their lives on the same farm and there reared a family of eight children. Their son Jonathan lives on the home farm at the age of seventy-one years; Joseph and Nancy live in Illinois, and Charity at Wellston, Ohio. John G Ray was a farmer by occupation, held the office of justice of the peace about thirty years and died in Jackson county in 1896, his wife having passed away in the preceding year. All of their seven children are living, four of them being doctors and one a lawyer. Dr. Lorenzo D. Ray was reared on the farm and education at the National Normal university in Lebanon, O. Thereafter, until the year 1883, he was engaged in teaching. In 1887 he was graduated from the Rush Medical college of Chicago, and shortly thereafter he entered upon the practice of his profession in Wapello county, Iowa. In 1897 he came to Londonderry, O., at which place he resumed the active practice of medicine. April 13, 1871, he was married to Francis M., daughter of George W. and Euphama (Milner) Brooks, who came to Jackson county, Ohio, about the year 1849. By this marriage Dr. Ray had three children. Of these, Minnie V. is the wife of Tilson Gallagher, of Jackson, O.; Nettie V. is married to N. C. Manlove, of Dayton, O.; and Victor L. is a telegraph operator at Byer, O. The mother of these children died January 20, 1898. On December 31, 1901, Dr. Ray was married to Mrs. Maria Benson, of Columbus, Ohio. Dr. Ray is a member of Mineral lodge, No. 259, A. F. & A. M. of Hamden Junction, O.; of Clinton chapter and council at Ottumwa, Iowa; Malta commandery, Knights Templar, No. 31, at Ottumwa; Benedict lodge, No. 586, I. O. O. F., of Blakesburg, Iowa; and Camp, No. 62, W. O. W., of Blakesburg. The doctor has never been an office-seeker, although in early life he held the place of justice of the peace in Jackson county, and in the spring of 1902 he was elected justice of the peace of Liberty township. ["The County of Ross: A History of Ross County, Ohio, from the Earliest Days ..., Volume 2; By Henry Holcomb Bennett, pub. 1902 - Sub. by Karen Seeman]
A wide awake, brainy man, possessing a natural aptitude for dealing with matters of finance, Alexander Renick, a prominent businessman of Chillicothe, holds a conspicuous position among the leading financiers of Ross county, his official connection with numerous moneyed institutions bearing testimony not only to his ability in sound judgment, but to his integrity and honesty of purpose. He was born in Chillicothe, a son of the late Alexander Renick, Sr., and grandson of George Renick, a pioneer settler of this section of Ohio. There is a well established tradition in the family that their early ancestors of the Renicks lived in Scotland, where the name was spelled “Renwick.” Moving to Holland and finally settling in Ireland, the family name assumed its present spelling. The emigrant ancestor of Mr. Renick was George Renick, who came to America in about 1720, Enniskillen, County of Fermanagh, Ireland. In 1738, he located in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania. From there a part of his family went to Augusta County, Virginia, and a part to Hardy County, Virginia, on the south branch of the Potomac. George Renick, the grandfather of the subject of the sketch, was born and Hardy County, Virginia, July 7, 1776. Attracted by the glowing descriptions of his brother, Felix Renick, who had made several visits to the western country, he came in early manhood to the Northwest Territory, on a prospecting tour, and after spending some time seeking a suitable location he returned to Virginia. He was married in 1802 Dorothy Harness, and came with his bride to Ohio, journeying on horseback to Chillicothe, where he started in business as a merchant. He bought a tract of land west of this city, and having erected a stone house thereon, assumed its occupancy in 1807. He subsequently devoted his energies entirely to the improvement of his property, and in addition to carrying on a general farming business, he made a specialty of raising blooded stock, being among the first to introduce Short horned cattle into this part of the state. He was the owner of the noted shorthorned cow, Rose of Sharon, which, with her calf, he sold to Abraham Renick, of Kentucky, who thus started his famous heard of short horns. George Renick, with the exception of two years spent in Kentucky, remained on his home farm until his death, which occurred in September, 1863. His wife, Dorothy Harness, also in native of Hardy County, Virginia, died in September, 1820, leaving nine children, namely: William, Josiah, Harness, Mortimer, Elizabeth Ann, Alexander, Lavina, George and Dorothy. Subsequently, Mr. Renick married Mrs. Sarah Boggs, who survived him. Alexander Renick, Sr., was born at the homestead, 1 mile west of Chillicothe, February 11, 1815, and was reared to agricultural pursuits. Being presented, soon after attaining his majority, by his father, with a tract of land lying two miles southeast of Chillicothe, he was there successfully engaged in farming and stock raising until 1864, when he removed to Chillicothe. Previous to that time, in November, 1863, the First National Bank was organized, and he was made a director. After taking up his residence in Chillicothe, he devoted his entire life to the bank and his own private affairs, remaining here until his death, in September, 1875. That maiden name of the wife of Alexander Renick, Sr., was Jane Osborn. She was born in Chillicothe, Ohio, in 1817. Her father of Ralph Osborn, whose emigrant ancestor came to New England in the good ship Speedwell, which followed the Mayflower, was a pioneer settler of Chillicothe, and when the state of Ohio was organized, if he was elected state auditor, and held the position for many years, spending his last days in Columbus. Mr. Osborn married Catherine Renick, a daughter of John Renick, who was a brother of William Renick, of Hardy County, Virginia. Mrs. Jane (Osborn) Renick died in October, 1886, leaving for children, namely: Ralph Osborn, Dorothy Harness, Henry Turner, and Alexander, one son George, having died a few years previous. Having acquired his rudimentary education in the Chillicothe schools, Alexander Renick attended the military school at West Chester, Pennsylvania, and in 1865 entered the scientific Dept of Yale University, from which he was graduated in 1868. Returning home, Mr. Renick operated the home farm until the death of his father, in 1875, when he succeeded to his father’s position as a director of the First National Bank. In 1887 Mr. Renick was made vice president of the institution, and since 1892 has served ably and faithfully as its president. In 1888, Mr. Renick assisted in organizing the Mutual Loan and Savings Association, of which he has ever since been one of the directors, and the president. In 1907, with George Hunter Smith and John H. Blacker, he organized the Valley Savings Bank and Trust Company, which he has since served as a director and vice president. Mr. Renick still owns and operates the old farm, which was improved by his father, and takes an active and intelligent interest in agriculture and stock raising. Mr. Renick has always been a republican and takes an active part in politics, but has never sought or held any political office, except that of trustee for the Ohio Hospital for a Epileptics, located in Gallipolis, Ohio, having been appointed to this position by Governor Herrick in 1904, and holding it until 1911, when the board of trustees of all benevolent institutions of the state were legislated out of office. Mr. Renick married, December 29, 1874 Elizabeth Waddle, a daughter of Dr. William and Jane S. Waddle, of whom further account may be found on another page of this volume. Mr. and Mrs. Renick have one son, Alexander Mortimer Renick, who married Edith Henrietta, daughter of Charles A. Smith, and has two sons, Charles Alexander and Ralph Osborn. Mr. and Mrs. Renick are true to the religious faith in which they were reared, their parents having been consistent members of the Presbyterian Church. ["A Standard History of Ross County, Ohio: An Authentic Narrative of ...",; By Lyle S. Evans, pub. 1917 - Sub. by Carla Mascara]
CLARK W. STORY
Inheriting in no small measure the habits of industry and thrift, and the integrity and ability, characteristic of a long line of sturdy New England ancestors, Clark W. Story, of Chillicothe, is amply fitted for the responsible position he is holding as president of the Ross County National Bank. He was born in Cuttingsville, of Rutland County, Vermont, a son of Jonathan B. Story, and grandson of David Story, a life-long resident of New England. Born, October 7, 1804, in Hopkinton, New Hampshire, Johnathan B. Story was there brought up and educated. Learning the carriage maker’s trade, he established a factory at Cuttingsville, Vermont, where he made a specialty of building concord wagons, a popular vehicle in that section of the country. He continued in business there for half a century, remaining a resident of the place until his death, at the very advanced of 97 years. The maiden name of his first wife, mother of the subject of this sketch, was Ann Jane Hill Putnam. She was born in Craydon, New Hampshire, a daughter of Samuel and Susan (Gibson) Putnam. She died in middle life, leaving five children, as follows: Susan M., who married John A. Poole; Austin P.; Emma I., who married Henry Jones; Lucy J., who became wife of J. Manley Snyder; and Clark W. The father subsequently married, for his second wife, Mrs. Nancy Todd, who survived him a short time. Receiving a practical education in the public schools of Cuttingsville, Vermont, Clark W. Story came to Chillicothe when but fifteen years old to enter the dry goods establishment of his brother Austin P., with whom he remained until thoroughly mastering the details of the business. The in 1875, he formed a partnership with E.P. Smith, and as head of the firm of Story & Smith carried on a satisfactory mercantile business until 1901, more than a quarter of a century. Mr. Smith withdrew from the firm in that year, and Mr. Story’s second son, Otis Jewett Story, and John G. Brandle were admitted to partnership, and the business has since been successfully carried on under its present firm name, “Story, Brandle & Story.” In 1888 Mr. Story was made a director of the Ross County National Bank, and the following January was elected vice resident, and with this institution he has ever since been officially connected, having been elected its president upon the death of Major Poland, in 1908. He is much interested in agriculture and horticulture, and has a fine estate, know as “Grand View Farm,” situated near Chillicothe. For several years he served faithfully and intelligently as president of the Scioto Valley Agricultural Society. Mr. Story married, on June 16, 1874, Mary A. Campbell, who was born in Chillicothe, a daughter of Samuel D. and Mary Anne Campbell, natives of Pennsylvania. Five children have been born of the union of Mr. and Mrs. Story, namely: Samuel C.; Otis Jewett, who married Ruth Pattison, of Easton, Maryland; John Burnham, who married Gertrude Sunnyfrank, and has one child, Elizabeth; Clark W., Jr.; and Mary, wife of T. Somerville Pattison. Mrs. and Mrs. Story belong to the Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church, in which he has served as vestryman many years. ["A Standard History of Ross County, Ohio: An Authentic Narrative of ...", Volume 2; By Lyle S. Evans, pub. 1917 - Sub. by Carla Mascara]
ALEXANDER VAN GUNDY was born in Ross County, Ohio, February 9, 1850. James Van Gundy, his father, and also his mother, whose maiden name was Elizabeth Moore, were natives of the same county. In 1865 the family removed to Atchison County, Missouri, and located in this township. Alexander spent his youth in following agricultural pursuits, and for a time attended the common schools of this vicinity. March 16, 1871, his marriage to Miss Susan E. Scarlett occurred in this county. She was the daughter of James Scarlett and was born in Taylor County, Iowa, January 27, 1853. Mr. and Mrs. Van Gundy have four children: Mamie Josephine, born June 2, 1872; Anna L., born August 11, 1874; Homer V., born October 1, 1878; Rubie Olive, born October 27, 1881. One son, James A., was born November 24, 1876, and died December 15, 1877. In March, 1878, Mr. Van Gundy settled on his present farm, in section 6, township 63, range 40. He owns 255 acres of land, improved, but gives his attention mostly to the raising of fruit. He has an orchard of 1,400 apple, 800 peach, 120 plum and some pear trees, besides 750 grape vines and other fruit. He is entitled to much credit for the attention which he has given to this important industry and is very successful in his undertaking. His wife is a member of the Methodist Church. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity. [The History of Holt and Atchison Counties, Missouri; St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
WILLIAM VAN GUNDY,a native of Ross County, Ohio, was born April 25, 1850, and is the son of John and Leah Van Gundy, nee Search, the former of Pennsylvania, and his mother of Ohio. The family moved to Clark Township, Atchison County, Missouri, in 1859, and are numbered among the pioneers of this locality. William grew to manhood on a farm in this county, and enjoyed the privileges of a common school education. He was here united in marriage on November 4, 1875, to Miss Elvina Baker, who was born in Ohio, April 6, 1858, and a daughter of Z.C. Baker. Mr. and Mrs. Van Gundy have two children: Terissa, born November 15, 1876, and Monta Ray, born February 1, 1880. The subject of this sketch resides on the old farm which his father first settled when he came to the county. This is located on section 16, township 64, range 40, and consists of 640 acres of land, nearly all under fence, and well improved. He is a member of the Masonic order, and he and his wife belong to the Methodist Church. [The History of Holt and Atchison Counties, Missouri; St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
WILLIAM WADDLE, M.D.
Prominent among the skillful Physicians and surgeons who were successfully engaged in the practice of their profession in Chillicothe a half century and more ago, was the late William Waddle, M.D., who was especially skillful in his treatment of the various diseases which human flesh is heir to. He was born in Chillicothe, September 19, 1811, in the family residence which then stood on the southeast corner of Paint and Second streets. Alexander Waddle, the doctor’s grandfather, was born in Ireland, of Scotch ancestry, and was there reared and married. In 1784, accompanied by his wife and children, he came to America, and having purchased land in Franklin County, Pennsylvania, was there engaged in agricultural pursuits during the remainder of his life. His wife, whose maiden name was Elizabeth Mccormick, was also born in Ireland, of Scotch Lineage. She survived him, and spent the later years of her life in Portsmouth, Ohio. She was the mother of five children, Mary, Alexander, John, Joseph, and William. John Waddle was born in 1783 in Belfast, County Tyrone, Ireland, and was little more than an infant when brought by his parents to this country. Brought up in Franklin County, Pennsylvania, he was apprenticed at the age of 15 years Alexander Mclaughlin, a prosperous merchant in Pittsburgh. In 1803 he was sent by his employer to Chillicothe with a stock of merchandise, which he disposed of at an advantage. After his return to Pittsburgh, he formed a partnership with John Carlisle, in Chillicothe, with whom he was associated for short time, later having as partners Thomas Worthington and Amaziah Davidson. During the War of 1812 he was associated in business with General Denney, supplying the government with provisions. In 1822 he retired from mercantile pursuits, and in 1830 removed to Clark County, Ohio, where he had acquired title to considerable land, in Clark and Greene counties, which he intended to improve. In 1831 he again visited Chillicothe, and having been suddenly taken ill with pneumonia, died in this city. John Waddle married, in 1806, Nancy Mann, who was born in Kentucky. Her father, William Mann, a native of Augusta County, Virginia, married Eleanor Raeburn, and soon after moved to Kentucky, locating in the Bluegrass Region, between Lexington and Georgetown. Mr. Mann died leaving three children, Elizabeth, Nancy and Mary. His widow subsequently married Captain Lamb, and in 1797 came with him and her children to Chillicothe. Mrs. John Waddle survived her husband 43 years, dying in 1873 at the advanced age of 85 years. She reared eight children, six of whom are living at the time of her death. They were Alexander, William, John, Eleanor, Lucy Ann, and Angus Laugham. Having laid a good foundation for his future education at the Chillicothe Academy, William Waddle continued his studies for two years in the Ohio State University, Athens, leaving that institution at the age of 18 years. Returning to his home in Clark County he worked on the farm for a year, and then began the study of medicine in Chillicothe, under the preceptorship of Dr. Fullerton. Subsequently entering the Jefferson Medical College, in Philadelphia, he was there graduated in 1836, and during the ensuing year traveled in the south. In 1838 Dr. Waddle located in Chillicothe, where his skill and ability found recognition. He build up a large and highly remunerative practice, and continued a resident of the city until his death on August 23, 1895. In 1863 the Dr. was appointed trustee of the Ohio University, and in 1868 was made a trustee of the Athens Insane Asylum, and for 10 years filled the office, resigning in 1878. In 1880 he was appointed a trustee of the Central Insane Asylum at Columbus. Dr. Waddle married, in 1845, Jane S. McCoy, a native of Chillicothe. Her father, John McCoy, was born in Franklin County, Pennsylvania, a son of Alexander McCoy, coming on both sides of the house of Scotch- Irish ancestry. Migrating to Ohio, he was for many years engaged in mercantile business in Chillicothe, as a merchant meeting with excellent success. The maiden name of the wife of Mr. McCoy was Janet McCracken, he was born in Pennsylvania, of Scotch-Irish ancestry, and of honored revolutionary stock. Nine children were born of the union of Dr. and Mrs. Waddle, namely: John McCoy, Elizabeth, William, Eleanor, Lucy, Jane, Edward F., Nancy, and Charles C. Dr. Waddle was a preeminently a pioneer spirit. In all that related to the betterment of mankind, he was ever foremost. Especially was this true of the profession he loved, and of his native town, which he had seen grow from such small beginnings, and for which he entertained such an enthusiastic devotion. He served for many years on the school board, and when the question of making it public library of the small school library arose, he threw himself with the ardor into the project using both his influence and his means to secure for this town so desirable an improvement. When the question of reclaiming the swamp of the “old riverbed” for a park was mooted by Mr. Bovey, he carried his plan to Dr. Waddle, who gave enthusiastic approval of to the scheme. Being at that time a trustee of the Athens Asylum, he invited Mr. Haerlein, who was landscape gardener there, to visit Chillicothe as his guest, to decide whether the scheme was feasible, and when his report was favorable, the Dr. used every energy, every influence, to make possible the park of which all Chillicotheans are so justly proud. Major Poland, Dr. Waddle, and Mr. Meggenhofen were the original park board, each one of them having a deep interest in the park which was born under their auspices. The words of his friend, Judge Milton L. Clark, delivered in the constitutional convention of 1873-1874, will mostly fittingly close this imperfect sketch: “Of my townsman, Dr. William Waddle, no words of mine can exaggerate his merits. Eminent in his profession, second to few, if any in this state, a gentleman of large mind and superior mental abilities, a native of the ‘ancient metropolis’ and foremost in every good work, his humanity and philanthropy know no bounds!” ["A Standard History of Ross County, Ohio: An Authentic Narrative of ...", ; By Lyle S. Evans, pub. 1917 - Sub. by Carla Mascara]
ANDERSON WILKINSON, one of the old pioneers of the county, and one among the first settlers of Union Township, was born in Ross County, Ohio, Jan. 21, 1813. He was the second son born to John and Delilah (Stinson) Wilkinson, both natives of North Carolina. Our subject spent his boyhood and youth in his native county working upon a farm. He, in company with his wife, father, mother, three brothers and two sisters, came to this county in 1836, and located in that part of Union Township that has since been changed to Allen Township. He was then a married man, so, on arriving here, he immediately set up for himself. He located upon a tract of: fifty-six acres just north of the present site of Macy. Here he has resided ever since. During his entire life his occupation has been that of a farmer. He has since added to his farm eighty acres more, making in all one hundred and thirty-six acres. He has since, however, sold from his farm some town lots, so that his farm, at present, consists of but one hundred and twelve acres. When he came to the county he located in the woods, and to develop a farm out of the wilderness naturally devolved upon him a great deal of hard work. He chopped, grubbed, burned brush, rolled logs, plowed and, in fact, did all kinds of hard work which the development of a new country necessitates. He had erected a log cabin in the summer of 1837, and the structure, with additions, though nearly fifty years old, still stands to shelter its occupants. Sept. 1, 1836, he was married to Hannah Rains, who died April 24, 1854. Dec. 14, 1854, he was married to Mrs. Martha Sutton. She died March 1, 1876, and, on the 25th of January following, he was married to Mrs. Hannah Baker. In all, Mr. Wilkinson is the father of ten children: George, John D., Andrew J., Charles A., William F., Allen S., Margaret J., Benjamin F.; the next was an infant son that died in infancy unnamed; then Azro H. and Mary C. The first eight were by his first wife and the last two by his second wife. Of those named, Charles A. and Benjamin F. are deceased. Mr. Wilkinson is a member of the Church of God and a Democrat in politics. He has held the office of Township Trustee three terms. As such, he discharged his duties with credit to himself and satisfaction to the public. On the 24th of March, 1886, he had the misfortune to lose his left hand—the result of an amputation caused by a cancer that had afflicted him three years. He is now in the 74th year of his age and is enjoying good health. He has been a resident of Miami County over fifty years, and is one of her most highly respected citizens.
Daniel Ziegler was born 1811 in Muskingum Co. Ohio and lived on his father farm. He got a Land Patent in Hardin County Ohio 1838, but very soon Sold it. Daniel next got a Land patent in Hocking County Ohio. The 80 acres is at what is now a preserve Crane Hollow preserve. They were farmers the family was raised there, Febuary 12 1863 it was Sold to Mr Hood. Mary Ann (Bell) died March 8 1866. In 1868 Daniel bought two lots in Williamsport Pickaway county Ohio. He sold that land in 1871 , He later bought a few miles away in Wayne township consisting of 8 acres. Died May 17 1895 Daniel and his wife spent some time in Ross county and are buried in Austin Strater cemetery in Concord township. [Written and Submitted by John Ziegler.]