Genealogy Trails - Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led

Sandusky County, Ohio
Genealogy and History

 


Biographies


Elisha Babcock was born in 1783, of remote Holland ancestry, but he himself always used to insist that he was a Yankee. He was a Whig in politics. In 1823 he migrated by team with his family from New York to Green Creek township. Sandusky Co., Ohio, where he purchased government land, and was among the earliest settlers, the family living for a few weeks in an old sugar shanty while a cabin was being erected. The parents went to their long rest many years later, after they had converted the wilderness into a fruitful farm. To Elisha and Prudence Babcock were born five children, as follows: Laura, who first married P. C. Chapel, and for her second husband wedded J. C. Coleman, a grocer of Fremont, where she died; Esther, who married George Waldorf, of Allegany county, N. Y., and died there; Clark, who married Ann Lee, and was a farmer of Porter county, Ind.; Hiram, who married Mary Ann Lay, and after her decease wedded Josephine Woodruff, and who died in Green Creek township, in 1886, leaving seven children; Merlin, the youngest child, is the only survivor of the family. [Source: "Commemorative Biographical Record Of The Counties Of Sandusky And Ottawa, Ohio...", J.H. Beers & Co., 1896]



Merlin Babcock was but four years of age when he migrated with his parents to Sandusky county. He remained on the old homestead in Green Creek township until he was twenty-seven years old, in his youth attending school in winter about three months, and in summer two months. For his first wife he married Almira Dirlam, a native of Massachusetts. She died in 1846, leaving three children: Sarah, wife of John J. Craig, of Coffey county, Kans.; Callie B., who married G. M. Kinney, by whom she had one child, Merlin, and who now keeps house for her father; and Frank, a resident of Gibsonburg, who has five children—Burton, Edith, Amy, Chauncey and Jesse. After the death of his first wife Mr. Babcock left his father's homestead and moved to his present farm in York township. Here he married Agnes E. Donaldson, by whom he had one child, John C., now a resident of Nevada. He engaged in general farming for a time, then removed to Wadsworth, Nevada, and there engaged in the hotel business. After his wife died in the western home he returned to Sandusky county, and has since resided on his farm in York township. In politics Mr. Babcock has been a Henry Clay Whig. He cast his first vote for W. H. H. Harrison, and also voted for his grandson, Benjamin Harrison, for President. Mr. Babcock remembers hearing Gen. Harrison make a speech at Old Fort Meigs in 1840. He remembers, too, with vividness, the remarkable change that has come upon the face of the country during the past fifty years, and among other things the three old mills on Coon creek, near Clyde, that ran several months each year, that stream then being filled from bank to bank, in striking contrast to the present attenuated flow of water. He served York township for nineteen years as assessor, and has filled various other local offices. Mr. Babcock is an upright citizen, and is without an enemy. At his old home in York township he enjoys the serenity and comfort which should crown a life so well spent as his has been, and he commands the highest respect and esteem of a wide circle of friends and acquaintances. [Source: "Commemorative Biographical Record Of The Counties Of Sandusky And Ottawa, Ohio...", J.H. Beers & Co., 1896]


MARGARET HOLMES BATES
BATES, Mrs. Margaret Holmes, author, born in Fremont, Ohio, 6th October, 1844. Her maiden name was Ernsperger, and after five generations on American soil the name preserves its original spelling and pronunciation. Mrs. Bates' father was born and bred in Baltimore, Md. He went with his father's family some time after he had attained his majority and settled in northern Ohio. From Ohio he removed to Rochester, Ind., in the fall of 1858. The mother's family, as purely German as the father's, were Pennsylvanians. As a family, they were scholarly and polished, running to professions, notably those of law and theology. In Mrs. Bates' childhood she showed great fondness for books, and, as a schoolgirl, the weekly or fortnightly "composition" was to her a pleasant pastime, a respite from the duller, more prosaic studies of mathematics and the rules of grammar. It was her delight to be allowed, when out of school, to put her fancies into form in writing, or to sit surrounded by her young sisters and baby brother and tell them stories as they came into her mind. In June, 1865, she was married to Charles Austin Bates, of Medina, N. Y., and since that time her home has been in Indianapolis, Ind. Fascinated for several years after her marriage with the idea of becoming a model housekeeper, and conscientious to a painful degree in the discharge of her duties as a mother, she wrote nothing for publication, and but little, even at the solicitations of friends, for special occasions. This way of life, unnatural for her, proved unhealthful. Her poem, "Nineveh," is an epitome of her life, and when health seemed to have deserted her, she turned to pencil and tablet for pastime and wrote much for newspapers and periodicals. Her first novel, "Manitou" (1881), was written at the urgent request of her son. It embodies a legend connected with the beautiful little lake of that name in northern Indiana, in the vicinity of which Mrs. Bates lived for several years before her marriage. "The Chamber Over the Gate" (Indianapolis, 1886), has had a wide sale. Besides her gifts as a writer of fiction, she is a poet, some of her poems having attracted wide attention.
[American Women Fifteen Hundred Biographies, Volume 1, Publ. 1897. - MS - Sub by FoFG]


ALBERT VOGT BAUMANN is a native "Buckeye," having been born in Fremont, in 1859, a son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Vogt) Baumann, natives of Switzerland, who came from their native country to Fremont in 1854.
Jacob Baumann, his father, has been identified with the business interests of Fremont since 1856, and by his perseverance and strict attention to business has acquired a competency which places him in the front rank as one of the solid, substantial business men of Fremont. He is and always has been an active Democrat in politics, but never seeking office. His wife died January 7, 1892, aged fifty-six years. Their children were: Jacob Baumann, Jr., of Fremont; Emma Baumann, who died recently; Elizabeth Baumann, at home; and Albert Vogt, our subject; they also had an adopted daughter, named Hattie. Our subject grew to manhood in Fremont, attended the city schools, and then took a thorough business course at Eastman College, Poughkeepsie, N. Y. He has been identified with the progress and development of his native city since his boyhood days, and has taken an active interest in everything designed for the good of the county. He has recently become prominent among the oil and gas men of Sandusky and adjoining counties. In 1884 and 1885 he was principal owner and manager of the Democratic Messenger, the organ of the Sandusky County Democracy at Fremont. He was elected city clerk in 1882, and served in that capacity for six years, having been twice unanimously re-elected. In 1884 he received the nomination of the Democratic party for auditor of Sandusky county, and was defeated by William L. Baker. In 1887 he was again nominated by the Democratic party for county auditor, and was elected over Mr. Baker, who defeated him three years previous. In 1891 he was renominated and re-elected county auditor, receiving the largest majority of any on the county ticket. His whole time and attention is now devoted to his business interests, which have become extensive, mainly through his persevering nature and untiring efforts. He is largely interested in The Fremont Gas Company and The Fremont Electric Light Company, being a director in each and secretary and treasurer of both companies. In January, 1889, Mr. Baumann was married at Fremont to Miss Anna Rose Greene, daughter of Judge John L. Greene, of Fremont. To their union were born two children: Albert Vogt, Jr., and Elsie Elizabeth. To his wife and children he is devotedly attached.
[Source: "Commemorative Biographical Record Of The Counties Of Sandusky And Ottawa, Ohio...", J.H. Beers & Co., 1896]


PETER BEAUGRAND, M. D., for seventy years a medical practitioner and enjoying the distinction of being the oldest member of his profession in the State of Ohio, has spent eighty-six years of his life, with but few interruptions, in Fremont, having been brought to Lower Sandusky, by his parents, in 1823. Dr. Beaugrand was born August 26, 1814, at Detroit, Michigan, his mother's native city. His parents were John B. and Margaret (Chabert) Beaugrand.In 1760, the Beaugrand family was founded in the Dominion of Canada, by the grandfather of Dr. Beaugrand, James Baptiste Beaugrand, an Indian trader and merchant, who came from Bordeaux, France. In 1768 he lived at Three Rivers, Canada, at which place and in that year occurred the birth of his son, John B. Beaugrand. The latter also became a merchant and Indian trader. Prior to the War of 1812 he located at Detroit, Michigan, later moved to Maumee and during the invasion of that city his place of business was destroyed by fire. He continued his mercantile pursuits in Detroit until 1822, when he came to Ohio, and after one year he sent for his family. It requires but a few words to state that fact, but the journey, as recalled by Dr. Beaugrand, was one of danger and hardship. It was in the first week of January, 1823, and a sleigh was the conveyance selected, the proposed trip being on the ice on Lake Erie. Travel in this way was not unusual and for many months was entirely safe, but this was one of the exceptional oc­casions and, although the trip was taken along the shore, the ice gave way and the horses and sleigh broke through and the party was only saved from drowning by fortunately being near land at the mouth of the Tous-Sainte River. Dr. Beaugrand has frequently pointed out, to those interested, the very spot on which the family landed and where they built a great fire and became dry and warm enough to enable them to complete the journey by land. Dr. Beaugrand recalls also the courage and resourcefulness of his venerated mother, who, on this occasion, as on many others, was the leading spirit in all that concerned the safety and comfort of the party. This mother, Margaret Chabert, was born February 26, 1781, and died May 12, 1859. She was one of the finest types of the women of her day. The warmth and cordial hospitality of the home over which she presided, the dignity of her mien, the loving care which she gave her large family, together with the unselfish charity she displayed, up to the close of her beneficent life, are well known to all who are familiar with the early days of this city. Her mem­ory is recalled and her beautiful life commemorated by the oil painting which is one of the notable adornments of the public library at Fremont. Of the ten children born to John B. and Margaret Beaugrand, Dr. Peter Beaugrand is the only survivor. James A., the youngest, died in 1906. One sister was the wife of Hon. Rodolphus Dickinson, Member of Congress. All of the family who survived infancy, became more or less prominent. Dr. Beaugrand, being nine years old when his parents came to Lower Sandusky, attended the schools of the town during boyhood, and when eighteen years of age enjoyed one term in Wells academy in Detroit, Michigan. By 1833 he had decided upon his life work and entered the office of Dr. B. and Dr. L. Q. Rawson, at Find-lay, and during the winter of 1835-6, he attended medical lectures at the College of Physicians and Surgeons, at Fairfield, Herkimer County, New York, and later the Ohio Medical College, at Cincinnati, Ohio, graduating at the latter institution in 1845. As early as 1834 he had commenced to practice, at Lower Sandusky, and the success that crowned his earnest efforts from the beginning, proved an encouragement as he continued. In 1864 he was appointed surgeon of the 169th O. V. I., which was sent to Fort Ethan Allen, Virginia. Dr. Beaugrand served there in that regiment, for 100 days. With that exception, his absences from Fremont have not been of long duration, consisting mainly of attendance upon some medical gathering, or as a consulting physician in some desperate case. Not frequently is found a man of his years yet in active business, and still less frequently one whose profession has required such scientific training, such drafts made on strength and endurance, and such calls upon his sympathy. However, in his pleasant home and book-lined office, at No. 223 East State Street, this Nestor of his profession may be found daily, just as alert, just as discerning, and necessarily more skillful, than sixty years ago. He numbers among his patients members of the families with which he has been closely identified during almost the whole of his professional career, and the circle of his personal friends each year has widened. His long life has spanned the most important period of his country's history, and in all her progress, civilization and development, he has taken a deep interest. ["Twentieth Century History of Sandusky County, Ohio and Representative Citizens" edited by Basil Meek; Richmond-Arnold Pub. Comp.; 1909]


JACOB R. BILLOW, an enterprising citizen and a successful agriculturist of Sandusky Township, residing on his valuable farm of eighty-five acres, situated in Section 26, was born in Rice Township, Sandusky County, Ohio, August 25, 1871, and is a son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Odermot) Billow. Both parents of Mr. Billow were born in Germany and were brought to America and Sandusky County by their parents in youth, the Billows coming in 1844 and the Odermots in 1845. Both families were pioneers in Rice Township. For many years Jacob Billow was a resident of Rice Township and then moved to Sandusky Township, settling on the farm which has been Jacob R. Billow's home for the past thirty years. Jacob Billow was a man of sterling qualities and from one end of the township to the other was affectionately called "Uncle Jake." He was both a Mason and Odd Fellow, identified with lodges at Fremont, and in politics he was a Democrat. He was popular and enjoyed the confidence of his fellow citizens, but would accept no public office except that of township trustee. His death occurred in Sandusky Township in 1896. Of his children, the following survive: John, residing in Williams County, Ohio; Charles F., living in Riley Township; Henry and William, both residents of Fremont; Louis, Jacob R., Annie C, wife of August Johnson, of Sandusky Township; Caroline E., residing in Sandusky Township; Emma L., wife of Otto Smith, living in Sandusky Township; and Lucy R., wife of Lloyd Croft, residing at Fremont. Jacob R. Billow was reared in a good home and with his brothers and sisters, attended the country schools and later he engaged in farming and dairying, for about eight years running milk wagons in Fremont, but at present he gives his whole attention to his land and the breeding of light harness horses. He is the owner of Glenwood B., 2:13 1/2, and Ironwood, a speedy 4-year old colt, both sired by the well known Pinewood. In 1896 he was married to Miss Lillie Younkman, a daughter of John and Christina (Mathia) Younkman, residents of Fremont, and to this marriage have been born seven children, five of whom survive, namely: Pearl S., Gideon R., Philip L., Elmer R. and Marguerite Ruth. Stephen and James are deceased. Those living are in attendance at the Fremont public schools. Mr. and Mrs. Billow are members of the Reformed Church at Fremont. Formerly Mr. Billow was identified with the lodge of Modern Woodmen in that city, but is no longer so connected. ["Twentieth Century History of Sandusky County, Ohio and Representative Citizens" edited by Basil Meek; Richmond-Arnold Pub. Comp.; 1909]


JOHN C. BOLINGER, cashier of the Croghan Bank and Savings Company, at Fremont, has been identified with this institution since September 1, 1901, having previously had an extended banking experience. He was born at Middletown, Frederick County, Maryland, August 7, 1859, and is a son of John C. and Rachel (Crawford) Bolinger.
John C. Bolinger, father of our subject, was born in Germany and there learned the weaving trade in all its branches. He was a high grade workman and manufactured many kinds of goods on his looms. He died when his son was an infant. The widow moved with her family to Ohio, buying a small farm of three and one-half acres in Townsend Township. This capable and resourceful mother still lives and during a large part of her year resides at her son's home in Fremont, although her stated place of residence is Clyde. John C. Bolinger, bearing his father's name, attended the public schools in Townsend Township and while almost a boy, taught his first term of school. Later he attended the Fremont and Clyde schools and also a Normal School at Milan, in Huron County. After he returned home he worked on the home place until the fall of 1878, when he entered into the employ of the Clyde Banking Company, first as a general utility man, and continued with that corporation until August, 1883, when he resigned. He was instrumental in bringing about the organization of the Peoples Banking Company of Clyde and was elected its first cashier, which position he occupied from January 1, 1884, until he accepted his present office in the fall of 1901. Mr. Bolinger entered this bank under the presidency of the late A. E. Rice, who served until his death, March 15, 1909, when he was succeeded by F. H. Dorr. At Clyde, Ohio, Mr. Bolinger was married in 1882, to Miss Annie M. Foster, and they have had six children, namely: Grace R., who married M. J. Slessman, and they have three children, Grace B., Alice and Metta; George C, who is a resident of Binghampton, New York; John C, Jr., who is an employee of the Croghan Bank; Howard F.; Thomas D., who died when aged three years and James A.Mr.Bolinger and family reside on Ewing Street, Fremont. He is identified with the Masons and the Knights of Pythias, and belongs also to the Forresters and the Royal Arcanum. He is interested in all that concerns the general welfare and is numbered with the representative citizens of Fremont.
["Twentieth Century History of Sandusky County, Ohio and Representative Citizens" edited by Basil Meek; Richmond-Arnold Pub. Comp.; 1909]

G.E. CHAMBERS
Carpenter and contractor. Was born in Fremont, Sandusky county, Ohio, November 29, 1834. When eighteen years of age he went to Princeton, Bureau county, Ill., and 1860 to Des Moines, Iowa. Remained three years and then returned to Illinois, where he lived until 1865, and then removed to Kansas City. Has resided in Jackson county since that time and has followed his present trade from boyhood. His principal work since locating here has been erecting public school buildings; has built several, in different parts of the county.
 [Source: The History of Jackson County, Missouri, Illustrated, Union Historical Company (1881) Transcribed by Kim Mohler]


WILLIAM E. CRISMORE, M. D., physician and surgeon at Helena, Ohio, was born April 10, 1872, at Wooster, Wayne County, Ohio, and is a son of Dr. James Madison and Lucy (Carbaugh) Crismore. Dr. James Madison Crismore was born at Marshalltown, Ohio, in 1844, and died at Helena, September 6, 1907. At one time his father had been engaged in the practice of law in Boston, later moved to Wayne County, Ohio, and died there in 1846. He left two sons, James Madison and Wesley. The latter resides at Wooster and has four children: Aggie, who married Scott Rex, a lawyer at Grand Forks, North Dakota; Reddie, who lives at Willoughby, Ohio, has one daughter; Gertrude, who is the wife of the cashier of a bank at Grand Forks, North Dakota; and Arlow, who resides with his parents at Wooster. Dr. James M. Crismore was a prominent physician for many years. He was a graduate of the Eclectic Medical Institute of Cincinnati and of the Western Reserve College at Cleveland. He came to Helena in 1876, from Wooster, Ohio, and continued in the active practice of his profession until his death. He was known for his medical skill all over Sandusky County. In both branches of Odd Fellowship he was prominent, belonging also to the Maccabees, and was examiner for almost all the insurance companies doing business in this section. In politics he was a staunch Republican. He united with the Methodist Episcopal Church at Wooster and was ever a consistent member of that body. He was married at Marshallville, Ohio, in 1867, to Miss Lucy Carbaugh, who still survives, residing with her son, Dr. William E. Crismore, at Helena. She was born in December, 1850. There were six children born to Dr. James M. Crismore and wife, namely: Alice, William E., Permelia, Matthew, Reba and Elizabeth. Alice died when aged 15 years, Reba died in infancy and Matthew died from the effects of an accident. Permelia is the widow of Paul Snyder and has one daughter, Lucy. Elizabeth married Asa Smith and they reside at Prairie Depot, Wood County, Ohio, and have four children.
William E. Crismore was 7 years old when his parents came to Helena. After completing the common school course he entered Heidelberg College, at Tiffin, where he spent two years and then took a scientific course at the Ohio Normal University at Ada, later graduating in the classical course at the Ohio Normal School at Lebannon. He then spent four years in medical study at the Eclectic Medical Institute of Cincinnati, and graduated with credit on June 5, 1895, one in a class of forty-eight students. He returned to Helena and for eight years was associated in practice with his father. In 1903 he went to Genoa, where he practiced until 1906 and then returned to Helena and has remained here until the present. He still owns property at Genoa but makes his home with his mother at Helena. He is identified with the Odd Fellows, and like his late father is medical examiner for a number of the fraternal organizations and insurance bodies.
["Twentieth Century History of Sandusky County, Ohio and Representative Citizens" edited by Basil Meek; Richmond-Arnold Pub. Comp.; 1909]



GEORGE A. CROWELL, retired business man and prominent citizen of Peru, is a native of Jefferson County, Virginia, born there June 25, 1820, the son of Samuel and Mary (Link) Crowell, natives of Pennsylvania and Virginia, respectively, and of English Scotch and Irish-German ancestry. His early school experience embraced the studies appertaining to the educational course presented by the usages of those days in Sandusky County, Ohio, to which he moved with his parents when but seven years of age. He was raised to agricultural pursuits and remained with his parents on the farm until after attaining his majority, when he began life for himself as clerk in a mercantile house in the town of Fremont, Ohio. He continued in the capacity of salesman at the above place until 1843 and in 1845 came to Peru, Indiana, to take charge of a stock of goods for Sanford E. Main, in whose employ he remained for a period of about one and a half years. From the time of severing his connection with Mr. Main, up to 1850, he clerked for different parties, but in the latter year effected a co-partnership in the general mercantile business with William Smith, which lasted until 1855. He purchased his partner's stock that year and conducted a successful business until 1876, at which date he retired from active life, having by diligent and judicious management accumulated a handsome competence in the meantime. In addition to his large business interests, Mr. Crowell always took an active part in all the enterprises for the city's welfare and was several times elected its treasurer, the duties of which position he discharged in an eminently satisfactory manner. He was largely instrumental in inaugurating the street improvements of Peru, in which he encountered much opposition, and also brought the first plate glass store front to the city, besides introducing a number of other modern improvements. He took an active interest in the internal improvement of the country, and to him, more than to any other man, is due the credit of securing and building up of the present efficient turnpike system of Miami County. At this time he is Superintendent of the following roads, to-wit: Peru and Mexico, Peru and Santa Fe, and Peru and Mississinewa Turnpikes, and their present superior condition is largely owing to his careful and judicious management. In the year 1869 he was appointed special Indian agent for the Miamis of Indiana and the Eel River bands of Miamis, and discharged the duties of the same until 1876. Mr. Crowell was married in May 1851, to Mary A. Steele, daughter of Joseph S. Steele, one of the pioneers of Miami County. Mrs. Crowell was born in the State of Ohio, and is still living. Of the four children born to Mr. and Mrs. Crowell, but one, Alice O., is living at this time. The following are names of the of the children, deceased, to-wit: Mary C., George G. and Byron F. Throughout a long and active life, during which he passed through many vicissitudes, Mr. Crowell's ruling elements have been industry and honesty, qualities which have made themselves apparent to all with whom he has been associated in a business capacity or otherwise. And now in the sixty-seventh year of his age, he is still an energetic, wide awake citizen, in possession of all his faculties and enjoying the full confidence and respect of all his friends and acquaintances. His portrait will be found elsewhere in this volume. ["History of Miami County, Indiana: From the Earliest Time to the Present ...", Brant & Fuller, Chicago; 1887 -- BZ -- Submitted by FOFG]


WILLIAM O. DIPMAN, manager of the Zorn-Hornung elevator at Gibsonburg, Ohio, and clerk of the city council, is one of the representative citizens of this section. He was born January 6, 1855, at Fremont, Sandusky County, Ohio, and is a son of John F; and Sarah (Wegstein) Dipman.
John F. Dipman was born in Saxony, Germany, and he accompanied his parents to America in 1853. They settled at Fremont and near that city John F. Dipman has passed all his subsequent life, except three years when he worked as a carpenter, in Tennessee. In his day he was considered a very skilled workman. For twenty-two years he has been sexton of St. John's Lutheran Church. He was married first to Sarah Wegstein, who died in 1861, and his second marriage was to Elizabeth Munch. William O. Dipman was educated in the schools of Fremont and at Oberlin College and afterward he taught school in Harris Township, Ottawa County, for a time, subsequently purchasing a farm of forty acres in Washington Township, Sandusky County, settling on it after his marriage. Later he moved to near Helena and from there, in 1900, to Gibsonburg, where he went into the business of weaving carpets which he continued until he became manager and overseer of the Zorn-Hornung elevator. As a business man Mr. Dipman is held in very high regard and his practical qualities are shown in the efficient manner in which he discharges his present duties. He is a sound Democrat and his good citizenship has been recognized on many occasions when he has been called on to accept township offices. He served three years as a trustee of Washington Township and nine years as a member of the School Board and for six years has been town clerk of Gibsonburg. On February 6, 1879, Mr. Dipman was married to Miss Margaret Smith, a daughter of Richard and Elizabeth (Nachbar) Smith, and they have had the following children: Henry A., who is a teacher at Appleton, Wisconsin, married Emma Schoen and they have two children, Harold and Winnifred; Clara Emma, who married Emanuel Paul, of Gibsonburg, has one child, Margaret Lucie; Estella and Laura, both of whom are self-supporting; Carl, who graduated from the Gibsonburg public schools, and is now engaged as a teacher in Woodville Township; Lucy and Bertha, who are at school; and Florence, Etill at home. Mr. Dipman and family are members of the Lutheran Church.
["Twentieth Century History of Sandusky County, Ohio and Representative Citizens" edited by Basil Meek; Richmond-Arnold Pub. Comp.; 1909]


PHILIP DORR, for many years one of Fremont's most respected citizens and successful business men, founder of the enterprise now known as the Dorr Bros. Shoe Store, a leading business concern of this city, was born in that part of Bavaria, Germany, termed the Rhine Palatinate, March 17, 1811, and died at his home in Fremont, Ohio, June 18, 1886. A German youth is pretty sure of securing an education adequate to his needs and in addition to this, Philip Dorr, before leaving his native land, learned the trade of shoemaker, and with the shoe business he was identified throughout the entire course of his business life. He came to America in 1837, safely landing after a perilous voyage on a sailing ship, and from New York City went to Erie, Pennsylvania, and from there, soon afterward, to Sandusky, Ohio. In August, 1841, he became a resident of Fremont, it then being known as Lower Sandusky, and on State Street, east of the river, he founded the business which has reached its present large proportions. As he prospered he secured more desirable quarters, on the northeast corner of Front and Garrison Streets, but the move proved disastrous, as a fire swept over that portion of the town and reduced his stock and property to ashes. However, by this time, he had secured a large patronage and when he started into business again, on Front Street, old customers as well as new ones found him and he began to think of erecting a building for himself. This plan matured and in partnership with Edward Leppelman he purchased land and built frame structures. At that time Fremont suffered, like other similar towns, from inadequate fire protection, and Mr. Dorr, for a second time, saw his possessions swept away. In 1856 Mr. Dorr completed the erection of the brick building now occupied by the Dorr Bros. Shoe Store, and then he continued in the boot and shoe business during the remainder of his active life and had the satisfaction of seeing his sons prepared to succeed him. Philip Dorr was married in June, 1843, to Miss Anna Meyer, who was born March 18, 1815, in Canton Argau, Switzerland, and in 1829 accompanied her parents, Jacob and Fanny Meyer, to America. She lived at Philadelphia and Franklin, Pennsylvania, later at Sandusky City, prior to her marriage. Three sons survive their parents: F. H., H. S., and J. L. The brothers are associated in business as Dorr Bros., and F. H. is also president of the Croghan Bank and Savings Company. They all reside at No. 418 Birchard Avenue, Fremont. ["Twentieth Century History of Sandusky County, Ohio and Representative Citizens" edited by Basil Meek; Richmond-Arnold Pub. Comp.; 1909]



BYRON R. DUDROW, a resident of Fremont, Sandusky county, is a native Of Ohio, born March r, 1855, in Adams township, near Green Spring, Seneca county, and is a son of David W. and Mary J. (Rule) Dudrow, the former of whom was born October 25, 1825, in Frederick county, Md., a son of David and Elizabeth (Hines) Dudrow, also natives of Maryland, born of German ancestry.
David W. Dudrow settled in Seneca county, Ohio, in 1845, becoming the owner of a large farm there, which he conducted up to the time of his decease, prospering himself and assisting others to prosper, his life presenting a striking example of industry, integrity and unselfishness. On January 8, 1853, he was married to Miss Mary J. Rule, who was born in Seneca county, Ohio, daughter of Daniel and Jane (Grosscost) Rule, to which union were born eight children, four of whom died in infancy, and three sons and one daughter are yet living, to wit: Byron R., in Fremont, Ohio; William and Fred, in Adams township, Seneca county, engaged in farming and stockraising; and Jennie, with her mother on the old homestead. On May 16, 1888, the father, David \V. Dudrow, met with a fatal accident, being instantly killed by the kick of a horse.
Daniel Rule, grandfather of Byron R. Dudrow, was born October 28, 1801, on the banks of the Susquehanna river, in Perry county, Penn., was of Teutonic descent, and spoke the German language fluently, while his wife, Jane (Grosscost), was of Scotch-Irish lineage. In the fall of 1824 he moved to Seneca county, Ohio, at which time the Seneca Indians lived on the Seneca Reservation, and he became well acquainted with many of them, some of whom were Redmen of note in their day, including the famous warrior chief Small Cloud Spicer, who at that time was a resident of the Sandusky Valley. Samuel Rule, brother of Daniel, owned and improved a large farm in Menard county, Ill., dying there November 7, 1884, while George, a half-brother of Daniel, was one of the pioneers of Sandusky county, Ohio. Daniel Rule's grandfather was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, serving under Gen. Washington, and participated in the siege of Yorktown; after the surrender of Cornwallis he returned to his home in southern Pennsylvania, and there succumbed to an abscess which had formed in his side.
Byron R. Dudrow, the subject proper of these lines, received his elementary education at the district schools of the neighborhood of his place of birth, which was supplemented with a course of study at the Union schools of Tiffin and Clyde, Ohio. This for a few years occupied his winter days, his summers being passed for the most part in assisting on his father's farm in Adams township. In the autumn of 1872 he entered the Preparatory Department of Baldwin University, Berea, Ohio, remaining there continuously until June, 1877, returning home only for his vacations. By close application and hard study he gained one year upon his class, and did not require to attend college during the session of 1*7778; but in the latter year he returned to Berea, and on June 6th graduated from Baldwin in the classical course, receiving the degree of B. A. On June 9, 1881, the degree of M. A. was conferred upon him. On June 18, 1877, Mr. Dudrow commenced the study of law in the office of Basil Meek, at Clyde, Ohio, and was admitted to the bar by the District Court, April 26, 1879. He did not, however, at once enter into active practice, but served as deputy clerk of courts of Sandusky county from the time of his admission to the bar until April 26, 1880, at which time he commenced the practice of the law. He has been engaged in the trial of some prominent cases, and with success. One of the most important trials in which he has engaged was the defense of Mrs. Lizzie Aldridge, who was charged with the murder of her husband, John Aldridge, the trial taking place at Hastings, Neb., in June, 1889. Mrs. Aldridge was acquitted, and of Mr. Dudrow's efforts in this case the Hastings (Neb.) Republican said: "Mr. Dudrow, of Fremont, Ohio, was an earnest and pleasing talker; every word and action had power and weight that exerted an influence upon the jurors." The Adams county (Neb.) Democrat, also speaking of his able argument at the same trial, said: "Of Mr. Dudrow, of Fremont, Ohio, it may be said that during the trial he won the good opinion and admiration of our people by his manly, eloquent and logical argument to the jury, and by the able manner in which he conducted the part of the case assigned to him." From 1883 till 1888 Mr. Dudrow practiced law in partnership with H. R. Finefrock, and since 1891 he has been associated with his father-in-law, Basil Meek, and John W. Worst. On November 21, 1878, Mr. Dudrow was united in marriage at Clyde, Ohio, with Miss Mary E. Meek, daughter of Basil Meek, and who for several years had been a teacher in the Clyde public schools. In his political predilections our subject is a Democrat, and has three times been elected to the office of city solicitor of Fremont, his services in that capacity covering a period of six years. Besides his residence on Birchard avenue, Fremont, he owns a 300-acre farm in Townsend township, and he is considered one of Sandusky county's most useful, progressive citizens.
[Source: "Commemorative Biographical Record Of The Counties Of Sandusky And Ottawa, Ohio...", J.H. Beers & Co., 1896]


JOHN GEIGER, farmer, of Fremont, Sandusky county, was born in Baden, Germany, March 12, 1819, a son of John and Josephine (Cramer) Geiger. His father was born in the same place, and was by occupation a glass-cutter and window-grainer. He died at the age of forty-eight years. His widow came to America, and died at the advanced age of ninety years, in Reed township, Huron Co., Ohio. Their children were: Lawrence, who died at the age of forty-eight years in Shannon township (he was a farmer and wagon-maker by trade); Rosa, who married a Mr. Nesser, and died in Huron county; Mary Ann, a widow, living in Huron county; Frances, who died young in Germany; John, the subject of this sketch, and Rudolph, who lives in Sherman township, Huron county.
Our subject worked by the month and by the year until he came to America, and continued thus for some time after coming here. On March 14, 1840, he landed in New York City after a voyage of forty-eight days, and shortly after came to Huron county, Ohio, where he settled. He borrowed $8.00 in Buffalo from an old schoolmate with which to come to Ohio, where he worked for $8 per month at harvesting. After working for a while on a farm he commenced wagon-making, but in about two weeks he was taken sick with a fever which did not leave him until cold weather—in fact, it was the ague. He left Huron county to get rid of it, coming to Fremont in the fall of 1840, and remaining in the region of the Black Swamp about three months, after which he went to where Toledo now is, but failing to get any business he returned to Bellevue. When he left Huron county he owed a doctor bill, to pay which he had to sell his clothes. He had had the ague every other day, and the rest of the time was employed driving a team, but he only received two dollars of his wages in money, the rest in trade to the amount of six dollars. In the latter part of February he had a falling out with his employer, and would hot stay with him over night. He concluded to go away ten or twelve miles, to Greenfield township, and on the way he went through a wilderness and found himself on a prairie. Here he fell into a ditch where the water was up to his waist, but he managed to get out, and proceeding on his way fell into another ditch in trying to jump it, this time losing his bundle of goods. He now was soaking wet, but he had saved his money. He went on until he saw a light, which he followed. The light went out, but he found a house, and when the door opened he dodged in without invitation among a Yankee family, with whom he could not talk a word of English. He was not slow, however, in making his wants known by gestures, at which the Germans are so apt, and was at once provided for; but he shool with the ague, which was worse than than wet. He got to Greenfield township and then started for Huron. On the way he took a chill, and lay down till it was over. On reaching Huron he got on a boat, but he was too sick to sit up, so he lay down in a bunk and waited till the boat should get ready to go, saying to himself, "Let the boat go where it will," of Stevens township, Rensselaer Co., New York.
[Source: "Commemorative Biographical Record Of The Counties Of Sandusky And Ottawa, Ohio...", J.H. Beers & Co., 1896]



A. J. HALE, station agent of the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern railroad, Fremont, was born in Steuben county, N. Y., May 25, 1828, son of Samuel and Sarah Hale.
Samuel Hale was born in Massachusetts, and his wife in Connecticut, whence she early removed to western New York, and there grew to womanhood. They were married at Albany. He was first a lumber dealer in various sections of the State of New York, and later a general merchant, doing business at Tyrone, Steuben county. He died in 1842, at the age of fifty-seven years, and she died at Lake Geneva, in 1857, at the age of sixty-three, a member of the Baptist Church. Ten children were born to them, nine of whom grew to maturity.
A. J. Hale was reared in Steuben county, N. Y., and attended the public schools until thirteen years of age. He then served as clerk in a store, in New York State, for two years when, in 1842,he came to Bellevue, Ohio, and was there actively engaged in business until 1852, when he removed to Fremont, becoming agent for the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern railroad, in 1857, which position he filled until 1861. At the outbreak of the Civil war, in 1861, he helped to raise the first company of three-year men in Fremont, and entered the service as second lieutenant of Company E, Twentyfifth O. V. I. After serving with the company a short time at Camp Chase, Columbus, Ohio, he was appointed and commissioned quartermaster of the Twenty-fifth O. V. I., under Gov. Tod, at the suggestion of Gen. R. B. Hayes. Mr. Hale had not sought the position, but was chosen on account of his fitness for the place. His regiment was assigned to duty with the army of Western Virginia and he became senior regimental and post quartermaster, in October, 1863, resigning his post and returning to Fremont, where he resumed his old place as ticket and freight agent for the combined offices of the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern and the Lake Erie & Western railroads. He continued thus until 1880, when the increasing business of the roads demanded that the business departments be separated, and he became freight and station agent for the Lake Shore alone, and is now acting in that capacity. His long period of service before the public and his excellent qualities as a citizen have made him one of the best known and most highly respected citizens in the community. In fraternal affiliation he is a member of the Knights of Honor and of the Royal Arcanum. Mr. Hale was married, in Bellevue, Ohio, in 1850, to Miss Elisabeth A. Simkins.
[Source: "Commemorative Biographical Record Of The Counties Of Sandusky And Ottawa, Ohio...", J.H. Beers & Co., 1896]


JOHN HILT, one of the infirmary doctors of Sandusky County, Ohio, is a well known farmer of Ballville Township, where he owns and resides upon a farm of seventy-five acres. He was born on this farm October 21, 1849, and is a son of George and Salomo (Livingstone) Hilt, both natives of Alsace-Loraine, Germany. George Hilt was born in February, 1805, and some time after his marriage came to the United States. In May, 1843, George Hilt and wife made their way west to Buffalo, New York, thence by boat to Sandusky City, and by wagon to Ballville Township, Sandusky County, where they purchased fifty acres of land. He improved that farm and lived upon it until his death in November,1886. Mrs. Hilt, who was born January 1, 1812, also died on that farm in July,1875. The following children were the issue of their union: George: Charles, now deceased; Peter, deceased; Fred; Jacob; Sarah, widow of Frank Meeker; John; Elizabeth, wife of Emandus Hollinger; and William F. John Hilt has always lived on his present farm and has always followed farming. He received a good common school education, but in the main his training has come through the greatest of teachers, Experience, and in contact with the world. He is a broad-minded and liberal man and has been actively identified with the affairs of the community. For twenty years he served as a member of the School Board, of which he was president six years. In the fall of 1908, he was elected on the Democratic ticket to the office of infirmary director, the duties of which he is discharging in a highly efficient and satisfactory manner. February 15, 1881, Mr. Hilt was married at Perrysburg, to Miss Mary Knaus, who was born in Wood County, Ohio, October 13, 1857, and is a daughter of George and Katherine (Harch) Knause, both natives of Wurtemberg, Germany. Her father was born March 21, 1830, and died in Wood County, Ohio, August 18, 1900. Mrs. Knause was born May 21, 1829, and died in Wood County on December 21, 1908. They were parents of the following children: Katherine, George, Mary (Hilt), Tillie, Adolph, Annie, Christine, Lena and Bertha. Mr. and Mrs. Hilt have two sons: George, who was born July 14, 1882, and lives at home with his parents; and Theodore, who was born January 1, 1884. The latter was married June 25, 1908, to Miss Lillie Wehrurg, and they live at Fremont, where he conducts the East Side Livery. Mr. and Mrs. Hilt are members of the Grace Lutheran Church. ["Twentieth Century History of Sandusky County, Ohio and Representative Citizens" edited by Basil Meek; Richmond-Arnold Pub. Comp.; 1909]


GEORGE JUNE, retired farmer and horse dealer, Fremont, Sandusky county, was born in the town of Dryden, Tompkins Co., N. Y., December 26, 1822, son of Peter June. He came with his father's family, in 1833, to Sandusky city, where he attended school a few terms, as he could be spared from work. At the age of fifteen George June left home to work on his own account, going with his brother Daniel to serve as teamster, in the construction of mason work in Maumee (Lucas county) and vicinity, and helped build the first poor house in Lucas county. In 1838 he went south to Springfield, Cincinnati and other cities in quest of work. He drove a stage for the Ohio Stage Company, on the National road, about eleven years, and also drove stage for some time at Bellefontaine, his wages being usually about $14 per month and board. After this he went to Cincinnati, and engaged first as a common hand to assist a stock company in shipping live stock down the Mississippi river; but his natural tact and his long experience in handling horses soon caused him to be put in charge of large consignments of horses on vessels, as foreman. For about ten years he went south in the fall, and returned in the spring. Having accumulated some money, he invested it in a large farm in Sandusky county, whereon he afterward settled. During the Civil war Mr. June furnished cavalry horses for the Ohio troops, at the rate of nearly 2,000 per year. He shipped the first carload of horses that ever was shipped from Fremont to Boston, and has shipped many a carload since. By his long and active out-door life, and his temperate habits, he has retained robust health in a green old age. [Source: "Commemorative Biographical Record Of The Counties Of Sandusky And Ottawa, Ohio...", J.H. Beers & Co., 1896]


SALES A. JUNE was born in Tompkins county, N. Y., August 2, 1829, son of Peter June. In 1833 he came with his father's family to Ohio, locating in Sandusky city, where he remained until 1849, when, at the age of twenty years, he went to Cleveland to learn the trade of machinist. During the period from 1849 to 1856 Mr. June alternated between sailing on the lakes as an engineer in the summer time, and working in the Cuyahoga shops in the winter time. About the year 1857 he went to Brantford, Canada, where he became connected with sawmilling, and took a contract for furnishing lumber for a branch of the Grand Trunk railroad. He had a partner in the business, and the enterprise was successful, they furnishing lumber for the western end of the Buffalo & Lake Erie, then known as the Buffalo & Lake Huron Branch, Grand Trunk railroad. Mr. June next took a contract to build a plank road into the oil regions of Canada, at Ennisskillen, which he completed just before the Civil war broke out in the United States. He then returned to Cleveland, Ohio. In 1862 he went to Buffalo and assisted in building and finishing out the United States steamer "Commodore Perry," and became engaged as an engineer on the vessel, in the employ of the United States Government, continuing thus until the latter part of 1865. After this he superintended the building of a propellor for the Fremont Steam Navigation Company, and ran her on the lakes until about 1867, at which time he started a boiler works in Fremont, Ohio. After operating these works about eight years he sold out to D. June & Co., remaining in the employ of said company, and being a partner in the same until 1890. In the year 1891 he received an appointment from the United States Lighthouse Board at Washington, D. C., to go to Cleveland, Ohio, and superintend the building of engines and boilers of two lighthouse boats, the "Columbia" and the "Lilac;" the latter boat is now on the coast of Maine, and the former on the coast of Oregon. In the fall of 1892 Mr. June returned to Fremont and engaged in the manufacture of the boiler-scale solvent, which has been introduced into all the leading boiler shops of Ohio, and is presumed to be a great success. Sales A. June was married to Miss Jane J. Campbell, who was born in Cuyahoga county, Ohio, December 29, 1827, daughter of John N. and Jane (Quiggin) Campbell, and three children were born to them, of whom (1) Adelaide J., born May io, 1857, was married in 1880 to William Waugh, a Scotchman, who is a wholesale fur dealer at Montreal, P. Q.; their children are Florence, Oliver S., Marion and William.

(2) Peter J. June, born September 6, 1858, grew to manhood and received his education in Fremont, where he learned the trade of mechanical engineer in the shops of D. June & Co., subsequently going to Cleveland, where he worked in the Cuyahoga shops and for the Globe Shipbuilding Co. several years. After this he followed steamboating, as engineer, on the lakes from 1878 until 1892,during the summer seasons, for several lines, running the "Conestoga," "Gordon Campbell," and "Lehigh," of the Anchor Line; the '' Wocoken," '' Egyptian " and '' Cormorant, "of the Winslow Fleet; the "Northern Light," of the Northern Steamship Co., and the "City of Toledo," of the
Toledo & Island Steam Navigation Co. In the season of 1890 he had charge of the McKinnon Iron Works at Ashtabula, Ohio. He is now a partner in the Fremont Boiler-Scale Solvent Co., Fremont, Ohio. Mr. June was married at Tyler, Texas, to Miss Jennie, daughter of J. C. and Agnes (Boyd) Jones, who were from Beaver county, Penn., and of Welsh descent. They have one child, Robert F., born October 24, 1887.

(3) Elmer Ellsworth, youngest in the family of Sales A. June, was born in 1861, and died when nine months old.

In politics Sales A. June and his son are Republicans. They are members of the Masonic Fraternity, the former having attained the seventh and the latter the third degree.
[Source: "Commemorative Biographical Record Of The Counties Of Sandusky And Ottawa, Ohio...", J.H. Beers & Co., 1896]



HON. JOHN J. LEHMAN, whose public services as a member of the Ohio State Legislature, have given him deserved distinction, is a prominent patent attorney at Fremont, of which city he has been a resident for a number of years. Mr. Lehman was born on his father's farm in Sandusky County, Ohio, October 4, 1863, and is a son of Leodegar L.and Barbara (Staub) Lehman.
The father of Mr. Lehman was born in Germany in 1821, and the mother was born on the Atlantic Ocean, in 1832. The father was brought to America in 1833, and to Sandusky County in 1834. His active years were passed in agricultural pursuits and he still survives, having reached his eighty-eighth year. His family numbered eleven children.
John J. Lehman remained at home during his early school period, but when 21 years of age, became a student at the Ohio Normal University, at Ada, Ohio, where he prepared for teaching and for some subsequent years spent his winters as a pedagogue and worked on the home farm during the summers. He was considered an excellent teacher and for two years served as principal of the schools at Rising Sun, Ohio. During this time he made his preparatory studies in law and was admitted to the bar on October 4, 1894. Following a short practice at Fostoria, he came to Fremont and for years has been a leading member of her bar, paying particular attention to pension and patent claims. Early taking an interest in public affairs, he identified himself with the Democratic party and ever since has been an influential member of that organization in this section of Ohio. His loyalty and efficiency have been frequently recognized and he was elected to township offices when little more than a youth. In later years higher honors were accorded him and in 1901 he was first brought forward by his party as its candidate for Representative. His defeat was by the small majority of thirty-one votes. In 1903 his party again brought him out and the result was his election over his former opponent, Hon. E. R. Tyler, by a plurality of 1,015. His course in the House of Representatives met with the approval of his constituents and he was reelected. The records show how earnestly he sought to promote wise legislation and how high an estimate was placed upon his knowledge, judgment and experience. He fathered some of the most important bills introduced in the General Assembly and his committee work was marked with a constant regard for the best interests of the people at targe. On October r6, 1894, Mr. Lehman was mar­ried to Miss Lillian B. Fry, who is a daughter of Jacob and Eliza Fry, and they have four children: Lester, Ruth E., William Elbert and John F. The family home is one of Fremont 's beautiful residences. Mr. Lehman maintains his law office in the First National Bank Build­ing. With his family he belongs to the Roman Catholic Church. Mr. Lehman has been closely occupied for years in public matters but he has never forgotten his duties as a public-spirited citizen of Fremont and has ever been ready to lend a helpful influence to develop it in every desirable direction. He is identified with a number of fraternal bodies including: the Knights of Columbus, the Modern Woodmen, the Maccabees, the Woodmen of the World, the Catholic Mutual Benefit Association and the Home Guards.
["Twentieth Century History of Sandusky County, Ohio and Representative Citizens" edited by Basil Meek; Richmond-Arnold Pub. Comp.; 1909]


MAJOR-GENERAL JAMES BIRDSEYE McPHERSON was born in Sandusky county, Ohio, November 14th, 1828, entered West Point, and graduated, at the head of his class, in June, 1853. He received the appointment of second lieutenant of engineers, and assistant instructor of practical engineering at the military academy. In September, 1854, he was made assistant engineer in the defenses of New York Harbor, and the improvements of the navigation of the Hudson, receiving his commission of second lieutenant of engineers, December, 1856.
In 1857, he was engaged in the construction of Fort Delaware, and in the defenses of Alcatra Island, California. He was made first lieutenant in December. 1858, and in August, was in command of the fortifications of Boston Harbor. In November, 1861, he became aid-de-camp to General Halleck, in the Department of the West, and was promoted to the rank of lieutenant-colonel. He was engaged in engineer duty in Missouri till the early part of 1862, and then joined General Grant as chief engineer in the operations against Forts Henry and Donelson. On May 1st he became colonel on the staff of General Halleck, and displayed great ability and engineering skill in the siege of Corinth. He was made a brigadier-general of volunteers in May, 1862, and in June, was sent by General Grant to superintend all the United States military roads in Tennessee. His skill and gallantry were exhibited at the battle of Corinth, and he was nominated major-general of volunteers. In November, 1862, he drove the rebels from La "Grange, and on the 11th, defeated General Price at Lamar. McPherson commanded the right wing of Grant's army through Central Mississippi, where he exhibited great ability as a commander. In December, 1862, be was placed in command of the Seventeenth army corps, having been previously made major-general of volunteers. He was actively engaged during the campaign and siege before the fall of Vicksburg, and rendered important services in the battles of Port Gibson Champion Hill, etc. On the fall of Vicksburg, General Grant recommended the promotion of McPherson to brigadier-general in the regular army, which rank was bestowed upon him in December, 1863. During the winter of 1863, he commanded the whole region bordering on the Mississippi, from Helena, Arkansas, to the mouth of the Red river. In February, 1864, he again entered the field with his corps, and in Sherman's Meridian expedition, had frequent conflicts with the foe. In March, 1864, he was put in command of the Army of the Tennessee, comprising the Fifteenth, Sixteenth, and Seventeenth corps, and joined the right of Sherman's army. During the hard-fought campaign toward Atlanta, McPherson displayed, on every occasion, all the skill of the general, and the bravery of the soldier. He fell by the bullet of a rebel sharpshooter, at the battle of Peach Tree Creek, July 22d, 1864, universally lamented by his soldiers, whose idol he was, by his officers, and by the whole circle of his acquaintances. General Grant, upon receiving the intelligence of his death, exclaimed: "The country has lost one of its best soldiers, and I have lost one of my best friends." General Sherman, in his official report, says of General McPherson: "He was a noble youth, of striking personal appearance, of the highest professional capacity, and with a heart abounding m kindness, which drew toward him the affections of all men."
(Source: A Complete History of the Great Rebellion of the Civil War in the U.S. 1861-1865 with Biographical sketches of the Principal actors in the Great Drama. By Dr. James Moore, Published 1875 - LR - Sub by FoFG)



HON. JOHN B. RICE, M.D., who ably represented the Tenth Ohio Congressional District, in the Forty-seventh Congress, was equally prominent in the field of medicine as in that of statesmanship. The city of Fremont has proudly written his name on her roll of honor, for he was born here, in the days when the village was Lower Sandusky, on June 23. 1832. His parents were Robert S. and Eliza Ann ( Caldwell ) Rice. In his youth John B. Rice learned the printing trade in the office of the Sandusky County Democrat, serving an apprenticeship of three years, but this was merely subsidiary, his desire being for a thorough knowledge of the science of medicine.The printing office is an excellent school, but more thorough training is necessary before a learned profession like that of medicine can be satisfactorily pursued, and realizing this, Mr. Rice became a student at Oberlin College. Two years later he entered the medical department of the University of Michigan, where he was graduated in 1857. In 1859 he attended lectures at Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, and clinics, at Bellevue Hospital, New York. When the Civil War was declared, Dr. Rice had already won his way as a physician and surgeon in his native city, and when he presented himself for medical service, was assigned to the Tenth Regiment, Ohio Vol. Inf., in which he served as assistant surgeon, in West Virginia. In November, 1861, he was transferred to the Seventy-second Regiment, as surgeon, and continued in the army until the close of the war, frequently acting as surgeon-in-chief and being assigned to the most important and dangerous posts. When we realize the wonderful strides made in surgery since those days, then only can the present generation adequately value the services and remarkable success of those men of nerve and skill, who performed major operations (which now are done only with the finest scientific instruments, and with every antiseptic precaution) with the old-time saws and lancets and with no sanitary protections for either themselves or their unfortunate patients; yet, on every side may be seen the veteran who, for forty years has survived his injuries and led a useful life, thanks to those brave and skillful doctors. Dr. Rice successfully performed the (at that time) rare operation of resection of the elbow joint (excision of condyles and ole-cranon) on J. L. Jackson, private Company A, 72 O. V. I., who had been wounded. Mr. Jackson was after the war for many years night watchman in the treasury department at Washington, D. C. When he was no longer needed on the battle field or in the army hospitals, Dr. Rice returned to Fremont and quietly resumed his private practice. His harrowing experiences had not rendered him callous, as it did many others of the profession, but rather enlarged his natural sympathies, thus enabling him to win the confidence of his patients, while his medical and surgical ability soon placed him far ahead of the ordinary practitioner. He became eminent in his profession, was welcomed into the folds of every reputable medical organization, was in demand as a lecturer and as a contributor to medical journals and found himself, while comparatively a man in middle age, a leader among his professional brethren. For several years he was a member of the faculty of the Charity Hospital Medical College at Cleveland, and was lecturer on military surgery and obstetrics, at the University of Wooster. The late Dr. Rice was at all times too broad-minded a man to ignore the duties of good citizenship; rather they were ever apparent to him and in the furthering of public-spirited measures designed for the general welfare, the people of Fremont knew how dependable he was. He believed in the principles of the Republican party and gave that organization his hearty support and in 1880 was nominated for Congress. The Tenth District was then composed of Erie, Hancock, Huron, Sandusky and Seneca Counties, and he was elected with a fine majority. He served so acceptably that he was re-nominated, but declined to serve, returning then to look after his practice and his many business interests. During his Congressional service he had favored many measures of the greatest possible importance and one of these was the legislation providing for the granting of pensions to worthy veterans of the Civil War. The Grand Army of the Republic always claimed a large share of his affection, as did also the Loyal Legion, and his death, which occurred January 14, 1893, brought grief to hundreds who had known his kind ministrations and helpful encouragement. For many years he was active also in the Masonic fraternity. On December 12, 1861, Dr. Rice was married to Miss Sarah E. Wilson, who is a daughter of the late Dr. James W. and Nancy E. (Justice) Wilson, of Fremont. Dr. and Mrs.Rice had two children, a daughter and a son: Lizzie and Wilson. Mrs. Rice survives and resides in one of Fremont 's stately homes located at No. 500 Court Street. She is a member, as was her husband, of St. Paul 's Episcopal Church. ["Twentieth Century History of Sandusky County, Ohio and Representative Citizens" edited by Basil Meek; Richmond-Arnold Pub. Comp.; 1909]



CAPTAIN O. L. SHANNON was born in Sandusky township, Sandusky Co., Ohio, March 30, 1848, grew up there and attended the district schools. Being a weakly child, the physicians ordered that he should take a voyage, hence he started on one on the lakes when he was a boy ten years old. He succeeded in sustaining himself from the outset, and sailed on the lakes every summer. He finally went before the mast, remaining in that capacity until his marriage, in 1873, to Miss Della Morrow, who was born in Sandusky City, Ohio, in 1854, and died in 1876, leaving one child, Le Roy, who is now a drug clerk in Fremont, Ohio. Our subject's second wife, Martha F. (Flinck), was born in Erie county, in 1867, married in 1882, in Lorain, Ohio, and has two children: Wilson O., and Westford F. After his first marriage Mr. Shannon located in Fremont, where he served in various occupations until 1874, when he passed the examinations in Cleveland, Ohio, and received his certificate as master seaman and first-class pilot on the Great Lakes. He has sailed a boat nearly every summer since after his location in Fremont, also operated his farm in Sandusky township in connection with sailing; but five years since he located permanently in Fremont. He is still commanding a steamer. He is a member of thel.O.O.F. and of the Disciples Church of Lorain, Ohio. His wife is also a member of that Church. Capt. Shannon is well known on the lakes and around Fremont.
John Shannon, father of our subject, was born March 2, 1813, in the "Block House" at Scioto, which was erected as a fortress during the war of 1812. The name Shannon is of Low-Dutch origin, descending from our subject's great-grandfather, George Shannon. He came to America in the seventeenth century, located at Schenectady, N. Y., and was well-to-do financially. He died about the year 1828, at an advanced age. He had two children: John and George, the latter of whom, our subject's grandfather, came west to Ohio in 1809. Soon afterward he was married, in Sandusky county, to Mary Whittaker, who was born in that county in 1799, and died in 1827. She was the daughter of James and Elizabeth (Fulks) Whittaker, who were both stolen by a party of Indians from the Mohawk Valley, New York State. The great-grandfather of our subject was about two years old and his greatgrandmother about four years old when they were taken to Lower Sandusky (now Fremont), which was then the headquarters of the Indians in this section. They were reared by Indians, and by some means were made head of the Indian tribes. They were married by Indian ceremonies. In due course of time they established a trading post on the Whittaker Reserve, which was given them by the Indians. They also had a trading post at Upper Sandusky. Mr. Whittaker kept that post, and Mrs. Whittaker the one on the Whittaker Reserve. The Indians traded, from many miles around, at Lower Sandusky, and recognized the Whittakers as their rulers and chiefs. Mr. Whittaker had a partner at Lower Sandusky, and was poisoned by him so that he died; he was hurried on the Whittaker Reserve. Our subject's grandmother died in the spring of 1832. They had children as follows: Isaac, Nancy, Mary (subject's grandmother), James, Rachel, Charlotte and George. Our subject's father saw and knew all of them except Nancy, who was married early in life to a Mr. Wilson, and moved to Canada. In 1832-33 two of her daughters visited here, and afterward a young man came and staid a short time; he was here at the time of grandmother's death, but was never seen afterward. The rest of that branch of the family died in Canada, or, at all events, all trace of them has been lost. Isaac died in Indiana; James died in White Pigeon, Mich., where he had been a merchant (our subject's father was there at that time); Rachel married James A. Scranton, of Lower Sandusky, and was a prominent figure here for years; Charlotte died single; George, the youngest, died in Indiana.
Our subject's paternal grandfather never knew what became of his uncle John. Grandfather married asecond time, but nothing positive is known of their history. He was a farmer and a great hunter. He made hunting his chief occupation, and employed others to operate his farm. He died at the age of fortytwo, and his wife at thirty-six. They had eight children, six of which grew to maturity: Elizabeth, married to Samuel Hubble, a ship carpenter at Fort Miami; James, who died near Oregon; John, subject's father; William, a farmer, who died at Genoa, Ohio; Rachel, who died young; Samuel, who died at Plaster Bed, Ottawa Co., Ohio, and Jacob, who died in Fulton, Ohio. Our subject's father, John Shannon, is the only one of these now living.
Capt. Shannon's paternal grandparents went away for safety from the war in the fall of 1812, and subject's father was born in the block house built at Scioto, to protect the whites against the Indians. While a party of whites were digging potatoes and tending other crops they were attacked by Indians, and the paternal grandfather of our subject was so badly wounded that he had to crawl two days and nights to reach a friendly Indian's cabin, and was assisted back to Scioto. He was severely wounded in the back, from which he suffered two years, during which time the doctor took thirtyone pieces of bone from his back. He was a strong man and a great hunter. Our subject's father grew up among the Indians, was a great hunter in the early days, and is still a noted duck shooter. On October 1, 1840, he was married to Miss Eveline Patterson, who was born in Onondaga county, N. Y., in 1824. She died October 9, 1893. They had ten children: Sarah, Emma Jane, Julia (who married Andrew Franks, and lives in Michigan), Capt. O. L. (oursubject), John W. (who lives in Sandusky township), and Fannie (wife of Frank Scheffler, of Fremont, Ohio); the rest of the children died young. After the death of our subject's mother, his father, John Shannon, married Mrs. Sophia Peter, who was a widow at that time.
[Source: "Commemorative Biographical Record Of The Counties Of Sandusky And Ottawa, Ohio...", J.H. Beers & Co., 1896]

DAVID A. C. SHERRARD. This prosperous farmer of Sandusky county, Ohio, near Fremont, was born January 10, 1820, at Rush Run, Jefferson Co., Ohio, a son of Robert Andrew and Mary (Kithcart) Sherrard.
Robert Andrew Sherrard is a descendant of Huguenot ancestors who, having been driven out of the north of France, fled to the Lowlands of Scotland and afterward removed to Ireland. A coat of arms, and a pedigree in tabular form, were in existence in 1872, tracing the lineage of the Sherrard family back to Robert, whose father emigrated with the Duke of Normandy. There were two brothers, Hugh and William Sherrard, whose father came over from Scotland about 1710, and settled in Limavady, County Londonderry, Ireland. Here Hugh and William were born, and when the former arrived at manhood he married and settled across the Bann Water, near Coleraine. He had a son, Hugh Sherrard, who emigrated to America in 1770, and settled on Miller's run, in Washington county, Pennsylvania.
William Sherrard, from whom are descended the Sherrard families in Sandusky county, Ohio, was born in 1720 in Limavady, where he carried on the business of farming and linen weaving. He died wealthy in 1781. In 1750 he married Margaret Johnston, by whom he had five children—John, Elizabeth, Margaret, James and Mary. John Sherrard was born about 1750, immigrated to America in 1772, and on May 5, 1784, married Mary Cathcart, by whom he had children as follows: William J., David Alexander, John James, Robert Andrew, Ann and Thomas G. The last named was one of the pioneers of Sandusky county, and was found dead in Sandusky river April 21, 1824, supposed to have been murdered by parties who had rented his brother John's sugar camp, of which he was manager at the time. John Sherrard was with Col. Crawford's expedition against the Indians at Upper Sandusky, during which he had many narrow escapes. Robert Andrew Sherrard was born May 4, 1789, and married Mary Kithcart, by whom he had five children: Mary Ann, Joseph K., David A. C., Elizabeth and Robert. For his second wife Robert A. Sherrard married Miss Jane Hindman, by whom he had seven children: Nancy, who for the past twenty-one years has been principal pf the Female Seminary of Washington, Penn.; J. H., a Presbyterian minister at Rockville, Ind.; June; Susan; Sarah, deceased; William, deceased; and Thomas j. f who is also a Presbyterian minister, now preaching in Chambersburg, Penn. During the winter of 1894-95 three of the sons of Robert A. Sherrard paid a visit to Europe, visiting, among other places, England, Scotland, Ireland, Germany, France and Italy, in which latter country they trod the streets of old Rome; thence they journeyed to Egypt and Palestine; near Limavady, Ireland, they found some of their cousins living. Robert Andrew Sherrard was the author of a genealogy of the Sherrard family of Steubenville, which was edited by his son, Thomas Johnston Sherrard, in 1890.
David A. C. Sherrard, our subject, grew to manhood on his father's farm, two miles southwest of Steubenville, Ohio. On June 1, 1844, he came to Sandusky county on horseback, and immediately began to improve the forest land which he had bought of his father. For about three weeks he made his home in a hewedlog house which he had rented of his uncle Thomas, and which was said to be the first hewed-log house erected in Ballville township, having been put up in 1823. He then returned to Jefferson county, and, on the 4th of September following, set out from there with his wife and seven-weeks-old child, in a covered two-horse wagon, arriving at Lower Sandusky September 12. He finished clearing up nine acres, fenced it, plowed it and sowed it to wheat, and then commenced the struggle of clearing up a home in the Black Swamp. His timber was chopped into cordwood, and sold in Lower Sandusky. In October, 1851, Mr. Sherrard took the job of clearing off the timber on Sections 24, 25, 26 and half of 27, for the T., N. & C. railroad (now the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern), and graded half a mile of the road-bed east and west of Little Mud creek. In May and June, 1852, he furnished and delivered timber for bridges over the Muskalounge and over Little Mud creek, and hauled and delivered timber for Big Mud creek and NineMile creek bridges. On September 20, 1852, he left home with men, teams and tools for Hardin county, Ohio, where he had a contract on the Pittsburgh & Fort Wayne railroad, spending thirteen months at grading Sections 43 and 45 of that road. In August, 1853, he contracted to clear and grade Sections 2, 3 and 4 of the Fremont & Indiana railroad (now the Lake Erie & Western); he also sent part of his men and teams to work upon the Pittsburg & Fort Wayne railroad, grading the road-bed. In the summer of 1854 the finances of the Lake Erie & Western Company failed, and the work stopped. In March and April, 1854, he bought wild land in various places, at second hand, giving as part pay some horses and oxen which he had been using on public works; he bought forty acres in Barry county, Mich., 320 acres in Ottawa county, Ohio, and eighty acres in Sandusky county, Ohio. These lands he kept from ten to twenty years, and sold them at a profit. In January, 1858, he bought of his father, R. A. Sherrard, the east half of the northwest quarter of Section 5, Ballville township, which is now half of his home farm. He dealt in real estate in Kansas, and in Putnam and Fulton counties, Ohio, and he and his son, J. F. Sherrard, bought a farm in the oil and gas region west of Fremont, which they have leased to the Carbon Company of Fremont for a term of years. Mr. Sherrard was the first man to ship lime in barrels from Fremont, Ohio, to the glass works at Wheeling, W. Va., in 1864, and he continued this for eighteen years, also shipping largely to other points for the manufacture of glass and paper, and for plastering purposes. During the Civil war Mr. Sherrard bought horses for the Ohio cavalry. Since 1875 he has rented his farms and bought up live stock, cows and sheep for Eastern men, who sold them principally in New Jersey. He has now 125 acres under cultivation on each of his two farms. In 1891 he bought a farm of 190 acres in Alabama, ten miles north of Huntsville, on which his two daughters, with their husbands and families, reside. This land is very productive, yielding large crops of clover, corn, wheat, oats and garden vegetables. In politics Mr. Sherrard has acted with the Whig and Republican parties. On July 4, 1843, our subject married Catharine M. Welday, by whom he had three children—Laura A., Keziah W. and Elizabeth C. The mother of these died September 29, 1847, and on February 24, 1848, he wedded Narcissa T. Grant, by whom he had children, as follows: Harriet B., Robert W., John F., Emma V., Mary J., Rose T., and Ida M. Of this large family, Laura A. married Benjamin Mooney, and their children are Lottie S., Emma, Mary A. and Nettie. Keziah W. married Homer Overmyer, and their daughter, Dora, is the wife of Clifton Hunn. Elizabeth C. married J. S. Brust, and they have a daughter—Ida. Harriet B. married Charles E. Tindall, and died September 16, 1873; they had a daughter, Hattie, who married William, son of A. J. Wolfe, a farmer west of Fremont, Ohio. Robert W. is fully mentioned farther on. John F. married Jennie E. Bowlus, by whom he had five children—Harry, Ida, Robert, Zelpha and Don. Emma V. married Josiah Smith, and to them were born the following named children: Milan, Robert, Jesse, Howard, Orie, Lulu and Granville. Mary J. married David W. Cookson, and they have a son—Clarence. Rose T. married John R. Tindall, and they have had three children—Mabel, Louis and Etta. Ida M. is the wife of J. U. Bodenman, a druggist, of St. Louis.
[Source: "Commemorative Biographical Record Of The Counties Of Sandusky And Ottawa, Ohio...", J.H. Beers & Co., 1896]


ROBERT W. SHERRARD, of the firm of Plagman & Sherrard, dealers in groceries, provisions and queensware, East State street, Fremont, Sandusky county, was born December 21, 1849, m Ballville township, Sandusky county, Ohio, a son of D. A. C. Sherrard.
Our subject grew to manhood on a farm in the vicinity of Fremont, and attended the country and city schools. He remained with his parents until he was twenty-one years of age, and while yet in his "teens" began to alternate each year between teaching country school in the winter season and farming the rest of the time. In the spring of 1872 he attended the State Normal School at Lebanon, Ohio, and in the fall of the same year and the spring of the next he attended the Seneca County Academy at Republic, Ohio, then in charge of Prof. J. Fraise Richards. He then taught four more terms of winter school, alternating with farming. In 1885 he bought out the interest of John Ulsh, in the firm of Plagman & Ulsh, grocers, and has since continued in the same place with his brother-in-law, C. H. Plagman. By enterprise, fair dealing and good management this firm have built up a prosperous trade. Our subject is a Republican in politics, and has held various local offices. He and Mrs. Sherrard are members of the Presbyterian Church, and socially he belongs to McPherson Lodge, I. O. O. F., to the Order of the Red Cross and the Equitable Aid Union.
Robert W. Sherrard married, on May 18, 1875, Miss Clara A. Karshner, who was born November 23, 1855, daughter of Daniel and Lydia (Robinson) Karshner, of Riley township, Sandusky Co., Ohio. Daniel Karshner, born September 9, 1822, was a son of John and Christena (Drum) Karshner, both of whom died at an advanced age in Riley township. The children of Daniel Karshner were: Frank, who married Louisa Niester; Charles, who died in childhood; Alfred L., unmarried; Clara A., wife of Robert W. Sherrard; Ella L., who died when aged seven; Sarah L., wife of H. C. Plagman; Anna N., wife of John N. Smith; Edwin U., who married Mary Bardus; and Willis C., who died at the age of fifteen.
Mrs. Clara A. (Karshner) Sherrard grew to womanhood in Riley township, attended the country schools and the Fremont High School, and taught three terms of school in the vicinity of her home in Riley and Sandusky townships. She now presides over a neat family residence on East State street, honored by its historic connection with Gen. Bell, one of the earliest pioneers of Lower Sandusky. The children of Robert W. and Clara A. Sherrard are Blanche Mae, born March 10, 1876, and Zella Gertrude, born January 18, 1884; the former is a graduate of the Fremont High School, and the latter is a student of the same.
[Source: "Commemorative Biographical Record Of The Counties Of Sandusky And Ottawa, Ohio...", J.H. Beers & Co., 1896]


C. W. STIERWALT, secretary of the Simple Account Sales Book Company, and also a member of the city council of Fremont, Ohio, is a thoroughly representative citizen and is valued as such. He was born July 15, 1871, at Fremont, and is a son of Jonathan and Mary Margaret (Wise) Stierwalt.Jonathan. Stierwalt was of German extraction. He was born in Pennsylvania but spent the larger part of his life in Ohio, his parents moving to Fremont in his boyhood. For many years he was a contractor and builder in this city, and died here April 30, 1896.
C. W. Stierwalt was educated in the Fremont schools and took a commercial course in the Eastman College at Poughkeepsie, New York. After his return he worked as a book­keeper with Fremont business houses, and prior to taking his commercial course had served in that capacity very acceptably for a year, for the Fremont Savings Bank. For three years he was bookkeeper for the Lehr Agricultural Implement Works and for the last fourteen years has been identified with his present company. He went into this house first as shipping clerk, later was advanced to be bookkeeper and subsequently became a stockholder and secretary. Mr. Stierwalt married Miss Laura Gottron, a daughter of Herman Gottron, and they have one child, Lucy M. Mr. Stierwalt is serving in his first term as a member of the city council, at large, elected to this office on the Democratic ticket. Careful, conservative and persevering in his own affairs, his presence on the council board gives promise of excellent public service. He is identified with the Masonic fraternity.
["Twentieth Century History of Sandusky County, Ohio and Representative Citizens" edited by Basil Meek; Richmond-Arnold Pub. Comp.; 1909]


CHRISTOPHER STREETER is one of the best known old pioneers of Green Creek township, Sandusky county. He was born in Heath, Franklin Co., Mass., April 9, 1815, son of David and Sylva (Roach) Streeter, the former of whom was a native of the same county, and a farmer by occupation. He was a lifelong resident of Massachusetts, where he died at the age of seventy years; the mother died when about sixty years of age. The family is one of old New England stock.
Our subject broke away from the ancestral ties in his young manhood at the age of twenty-two years, and sought a home in the then distant West. In 1837 he disposed of his interest in the homestead, and in the fall of the same year came to Ohio by means that now seem insufferably tedious and slow. He settled on a farm in York township, Sandusky county, which he opened up, erecting a small dwelling. On December 3, 1835, he had married Miss Louisa Kennedy, and to them were born four children: Edward, born in Heath, Mass., June 25, 1837; Albert, born September 29, 1839; and Alonzo and Lorenzo, born June 25, 1842, the latter of whom died September 30, 185 1; the mother passed from earth December 26, 1851. Thus within the space of three short months Mr. Streeter lost a dear child, and the partner of his youth, who died with the confident hope of Heaven and a bright place on the Resurrection morn. Edward, the eldest son, is married, and had five children—Lydia, Charles, Ira, Louisa and Levi—of whom Louisa died while young. Albert, the second son, married and had four children—Minnie, George, Alice and Mabel— the last named dying young. Alonzo married, and had seven children—Waller, Roly, Elmer, Clarence, Abbie, Nora and Lena, of whom Abbie died young. On February 2, 1853, our subject married his present wife. Henrietta Clark. Mr. Streeter in politics has been a Whig and a Republican, and cast his first Presidential vote for William H. Harrison. In religious faith he has been a prominent member of the Advent Church. He has been an eminently successful farmer, and accumulated 300 acres of well-improved land. This farm he divided among his three son —one hundred acres each— and there they reside with their families. In 1882 Mr. Streeter erected a fine brick residence in Clyde, where he now lives a retired life, with the respect and esteem of the entire community in which he dwells.
[Source: "Commemorative Biographical Record Of The Counties Of Sandusky And Ottawa, Ohio...", J.H. Beers & Co., 1896]


MAJOR JEROME VOORHIES, whose splendid farm of 240 acres is situated in Jackson Township, near Burgoon, Sandusky County, was born March 19, 1854, in Liberty Township, Seneca County, Ohio, and is a son of John and Sarah J. (Winters) Voorhies. John Voorhies, father of Major J. Voorhies, was born in New Jersey, February 1,1832, and died in Jackson Township, October 2, 1907. In boyhood he accompanied his father, Elias Voorhies, to Sandusky County, and in 1853 was married to Sarah J. Winters, in Jackson Township, and then moved to Seneca County and bought land in Liberty Township. The family lived about a year in Liberty Township and then returned to Jackson Township, where Mrs.Voorhies still resides. She was born January 21, 1835. They had two children, Amanda J., and Major Jerome. The former was born August 30, 1856, married John Michaels, and they live at Kansas, Ohio. They have one daughter, Gestiver, who married Earl Ash, of Fostoria, and they live at Anson, Ohio. Major Jerome Voorhies has resided in Jackson Township since he was two years of age, and ever since he completed his school attend­ance, has been deeply interested in farming, making this his life work. His operations are carried on systematically and his abundant crops and sleek cattle testify to his wise management of his many broad acres. His surroundings are attractive and his home is a handsome country residence.On February 15, 1872, by Rev. John French, Mr. Voorhies was married to Miss Anna R. Havens, the eldest daughter of W. J, and Anna (Paden) Havens. W. J. Havens was born December 13, 1833, and died March 31, 1906. His widow survives, having been born July 27, 1833. Mrs. Voorhies is one of a family of eight children, the others being: George, deceased; John Fremont, Charles, Frank, James L., deceased; Emma J, and Orval B. Mr. and Mrs. Voorhies have had three children: Estella, Lulu Belle and John W. Estella, born February 14, 1874, died April 18, 1878. Lulu B., born July 12, 1885, died March 29, 1898. John W., born November 23, 1898, is a sturdy school boy. Mr. Voorhies and wife are members of the United Brethren Church of Jackson Township and he has been a church trustee for many years. For seven years Mr. Voorhies served as township trustee and for a long time was a school director. ["Twentieth Century History of Sandusky County, Ohio and Representative Citizens" edited by Basil Meek; Richmond-Arnold Pub. Comp.; 1909]


JOHN W. WELLS, who resides on his farm on ninety-one acres, all rich farming land, situated three and one-quarter miles southwest of Lindsay, was born in the State of New York, February 19, 1856, and he is a son of James and Sabria (Barnes) Wells, and a grandson of Isaiah Wells. Mr. Wells resided in his native State until he had passed his 24th birthday, attending the public schools until he was 17, and after that followed farming. He then located at Gibsonburg, Ohio, where he engaged in teaming for five years and then rented a farm northeast of that town, on which he lived for eight years. He then purchased his present farm from George Richard, settled on it and has continued its cultivation and improvement to the present time. Mr. Wells has two brothers and one sister, namely: Charles H., who married Minnie Murray; Frank D., who married Sarah Keller; and Hattie J.. who married George Kinney. On January 29, 1883, Mr. Wells was married (first) to Miss Julia Hoyt, who, at death, left one daughter, Nettie. The latter married Frank Holmbaugh, and they lived at Shelby, Ohio. Mr. Wells was married (second) to Miss Phoebe S. Daum, a daughter of John P. and Elizabeth (Boston) Daum, the former of whom was born in Germany and the latter in Medina County, Ohio. The Daum family included the following children: John, who married Jane Conway; Nancy, who married Laben Bowser, of Elkhart, Indiana; George, who married Eliza Garn, resides at Angola, Indiana; Mary, who married James Voorhees, lives at Gibsonburg, Ohio; James, who lives at Fostoria, Ohio, married Belle England; and Phoebe S., who is the wife of John W. Wells. To Mr. and Mrs. Wells were born one son, Frederick Arthur, who married Elnorah Parrish, and they reside at Gibsonburg, Sandusky County, Mr. Wells being Superintendent of the public schools at Burgoon. They have one son, Earl Edwin, born January g, 1908. John W. Wells and family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Both he and his son, Frederick Arthur, are identified with the Knights of Maccabees. He is a Republican in his political views and takes a great deal of interest in all current events. ["Twentieth Century History of Sandusky County, Ohio and Representative Citizens" edited by Basil Meek; Richmond-Arnold Pub. Comp.; 1909]



HOME


Copyright © Genealogy Trails