Scioto County Ohio
Lemuel Z Codot
Was born in Scioto county, Ohio, in 1838, and settled in this county in 1858. His parents are Lemuel and Catherine (Baccus) Codot; his father is deceased, and his mother resides in Scioto county, Ohio. Mr. Codot was married in Gallipolis, in 1863, to Josephine Carel, who was born in that city in 1839. She is a daughter of Franklin and Sallia (Whitney) Carel, residents of Gallipolis. Mr. Codot is clerk of the board of education and has been a member of the board since 1869. He is also deputy revenue collector for Gallia county. He was a soldier during the late war, a member of the 91st Ohio Volunteer Infantry, being captain of company A. After nine months' service as captain he was promoted to major, and he was promoted to lieutenant-colonel, December 9, 1864. He served to the close of the war, through West and East Virginia, through the valley of the Shenandoah with Sheridan and Crook. He has two children: Charles C., born September 15, 1864, and Harry L., September 29, 1874. They both reside in Gallipolis. The business of Mr. Codot is a tobacco merchant. His postoffice address is Gallipolis, Gallia county, Ohio. [SOURCE: History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c; James P. Averill; Hardesty & CO., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882 - tr. by A. Parks]
Mary A.G. Dight
DIGHT, Mrs. Mary A. G., physician, born in Portsmouth, Ohio, 7th November, 1860. She is the only daughter of Mary Y. Glidden and George Crawford. Her mother, who died 22nd April, 1891, was a woman of intelligence and refinement, inheriting from one of the cultured New England families the rare mental qualities which she transmitted to her daughter. Mrs. Crawford believed in the higher education of women- and encouraged her daughter to pursue the profession of her choice, for which, by her natural abilities and her acquirements, she is qualified, and in which she is now actively engaged. Dr. Dight is a young woman of versatile talents. She is a fine musician, and a graduate of the New England Conservatory of Music, Boston. She speaks German fluently. She is a model housekeeper as well as mistress of the art of healing. She was graduated from the department of regular medicine and surgery of the University of Michigan, one of the youngest of the class of 1884. Returning to Ohio, she practiced a year and then went abroad and continued her studies in Paris and Vienna for two years. She returned to Portsmouth and was chosen president of the Hempstead Academy of Medicine. While a student in medicine, she made the acquaintance of Professor Charles F. Dight, M. D., at that time one of the medical faculty of the University of Michigan, who after a six year's professorship in the American Medical College in Beyrout, Syria, returned to America to marry her. As a lecturer Dr. Dight is pleasing and forcible. She is energetic in urging to efforts for social reforms and for the improvement of the race, by observing the laws of life, health and heredity. Her home is now in Faribault, Minn. ["American Women", Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Volume 1 Copyright 1897. Transcribed by Marla Snow.]
Hiram W Eakins
Son of Joseph S. and Alcy J. (McDaniel) Eakins, was born in this county February 18, 1843. He was united in marriage with Naomi Griffith, in Lawrence county, Ohio, February 11, 1869. They have two children: Nina M., born October 31, 1869; Maud R., October 24, 1872. She is the daughter of John O. and Amy (McCartney) Griffith, and was born in Scioto county, Ohio, January 5, 1851. John O. Griffith was born in 1823, and Amy Griffith in 1826. Joseph S. Eakins, the father of Hiram Eakins, occupies probably the oldest farm in the township. He is one of the pioneer settlers, and has acted an important part in developing the resources of the township. Hiram Eakins is a farmer in Walnut township. His address is McDaniels, Gallia county, Ohio. [SOURCE: History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c; James P. Averill; Hardesty & CO., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882. - tr. by A. Parks]
Charles C. Irwin
For a full quarter of a century Charles C. Irwin, of Routt county, (CO) has been connected in a progressive and productive way with the ranching and cattle industries of Colorado, and within this period he has also given the mining industry of the state some attention, somewhat to its advantage but not to his own. He is a native of Ohio, born at Sciotoville on July 7, 1862, and the son of George W. and Mahala Irwin, natives of that state who moved to Illinois late in their lives and there ended their days, the mother dying in 1872 and the father in 1881. The father was a prominent business man in Illinois, carrying on extensive operations in farming, merchandising and milling. He owned the controlling interest in the Hungarian Mills, then the largest enterprise of its kind in the state. He was an active Republican and a prominent Freemason. Of the nine children in the family six are living, Charles C., Albert R., Maud E. (Mrs. Owen M. Biler), Emma J. (Mrs. William Puyalls), Minnie (Mrs. Guy W. Ward), and George G. Charles was educated at the common and graded schools of his native county, and remained at home working for his parents until he reached his sixteenth year. He then moved to Bowling Green Valley, Missouri, and leased a farm which he managed for a year. In the autumn of 1879 he came to Colorado and during the next two years conducted a ranch on Ralston creek. In 1882 he began a search for a more desirable and suitable location, and in the fall of 1883 took up a homestead near Slater which he improved and afterward sold. Then, after devoting several years to ranching and raising cattle with good results, he took his earnings and tried to develop mining properties in the vicinity of Hahn's Peak. The venture was disastrous to him and in it he lost a large sum of money. With what he had left he bought in 1900 his present ranch on Elk river. This he has greatly improved, erecting good buildings and bringing one hundred and twenty acres of his one hundred and sixty acres to a high state of cultivation. His ranch is eight mile west of Steamboat Springs, which affords him a good market easily available, and is pleasantly located and well supplied with water. Cattle and hay are his principal resources, and these are raised in large quantities. He also has the Milner ranch near by under lease. In fraternal circles he is connected with the Masonic order and the Odd Fellows, and politically he supports the principles and candidates of the Republican party. He is a progressive and highly esteemed citizen, full of practical zeal and activity in behalf of all good undertakings for the benefit of the community and deeply interested in the enduring welfare of his county and state. At one time he lived neighbor to the well-known Jim and John Baker, old Colorado pioneers on Snake river, and he has many graphic and interesting reminiscences of these renowned characters, high types of a race of heroic men that has almost passed out of American life. Mr. Irwin is himself something of a pioneer and he saw many phases of frontier life in its earlier and more rugged days. (Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Kim Mohler)
Thomas L Lloyd
Was left without his parents when twelve years of age, and since then he has had to support himself. He worked about eight or nine months of the year to clothe himself and pay for his schooling, which he attended in the winter months. He educated himself so that he was competent to teach school, and has taught for seventeen terms in adjoining counties. He commenced mercantile business on his farm July 4, 1876, and has continued in that business most of that time. He also carries on the business of saw-milling and coaling for the last three years. He was born at Howard Furnace, Scioto county, Ohio, January 24, 1853. He is a son of Evan and Hannah (Davis) Lloyd, settlers of this county in 1853, both deceased. Mr. Lloyd was married June 24, 1880, to Martha M. Williams, in Gallipolis. She was born in Walnut township, Gallia county, November 7, 1858, and died May 9, 1881. Her parents are John and Mary (Knox) Williams. Mr. Lloyd has filled the office of township treasurer four years and clerk one year. He is engaged in merchandising and farming. His postoffice addresses are Gallia Furnace, Gallia county, and Samsonville, Jackson county, Ohio. [SOURCE: History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c; James P. Averill; Hardesty & CO., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882.]
James M. Rumsey
JAMES M. RUMSEY, pres. Stockgrowers National Bank; (Rep.); b. March 14, 1862, Portsmouth, Ohio; s. of J. M. and Harriett A. (Gaffey) Rumsey; educ. pub. and priv. schls. of Ohio; worked from bill clerk to asst. credit man Reid, Murdoch & Co., Chicago, 1875-83; located in Rawlins, Wyoming, 1884, as cashier and confidence man of J. W. Hugus & Co.'s bank (which became First National Bank 1886) 1884-6; cashier First National Bank of Rawlins, 1909; pres. First State Bank of Baggs, Wyo., since 1910; pres. and owner Carbon Sheep & Cattle Co.; pres. Knox & Tanner Saddlery Co.; director Sage Cree Sheet Co.; director The Baggs (Wyo.) Investment Co.; director American Bankers Insurance Co., of Chicago; pres. Saratoga Hot Springs Co., of Saratoga, Wyo.; pres. and director Rawlins Wool Warehouse; director Carbon County Wool Growers; director Carbon County Fair Assn.; director The Mid-West Real Estate Mortgage Bond Co. of Chicago, director American Petroleum Co. of Wyoming; pres. Wyo. State Bankers' Assn., 1914-15; pres. Wyo. Wool Growers' Assn., 1914-15; mem. 32 deg. Mason, Past Grand Commander (1903) Knights Templar, Wyo., Past Grand Master (1899) A. F. & A. M. of Wyo.; Past Eminent Commander (1896) Ivanhoe Commandery, Rawlins; Past High Priest (1890) Garfield Chapter, Rawlins (first) Potentate (1895) Korein Temple, Rawlins; mem. Wyoming Consistory No. 1, Cheyenne; life member Rawlins Lodge No. 609, Elks; I. O. O. F. Address: Rawlins, Wyoming. [Source: Men of Wyoming, Publ 1915. Transcribed by Denise Moreau]
M. V. SNYDER
Resident of Erie and a traveling salesman, comes of old revolutionary stock. His great-grandfather was one of the heroes of the war for independence, serving in the Colonial army for almost seven years. Andrew Snyder, the grandfather, served in the war of 1812 and was afterward granted a pension in honor of this service. Mark Snyder, the father of our subject, was a native of Virginia and in his youth accompanied his parents to Ohio, the family becoming pioneer settlers of Scioto county. Mark Snyder became a farmer and tanner and tanned leather for much of the district in which he lived. He was a practical man, who possessed much mechanical ingenuity and his life was a busy and useful one. He died in February, 1878, at the age of seventy-six years, while his wife, who bore the maiden name of Elizabeth Galford - and also a native of Virginia - died in 1862, at the age of fifty-five, in the faith of the United Brethren church. She was highly esteemed for her many good qualities and is well remembered for her many kindly acts. Of the eleven children of the family, five are still living. Abigail, the widow of J. W. Welch, resides in Eric; W. G., of Bement, Illinois, served for four years and eight months as a private in the Union army and was later promoted major. He enlisted in September, 1861, and after three years, veteranizcd, becoming a member of the Fifty-sixth Ohio Infantry. He received a number of flesh wounds, but was never away from his regiment, being always found valiantly defending the old flag. Thomas B. resides in Lucasville, Ohio; and John R, is a farmer of Piatt county, Illinois. The deceased are Andrew J., who served three months at the beginning of the rebellion and afterward enlisted in the One Hundred and Ninety-fourth Ohio Infantry, serving until the close of the war. His death occurred in 1885 at the age of fifty-eight years; Jane, the wife of Daniel Martin; Henry J., who died during the war at the age, of thirty-one; George W., who died at the age of sixteen, three days after his mother's death; and Lydia, who became the wife of William Smith and died at the age of thirty-four.
M. V. Snyder was born near Lucasville, Scioto county, Ohio, January 24, 1812. He enlisted December 11, 1864, in Company H, ____ Ohio Infantry, which regiment was largely engaged in garrison duty and in fighting guerrillas until October 6, 1865, when Mr. Snyder was honorably discharged. After his return home he was connected with a sawmill for three years and in the fall of 1868 removed from Ohio to Bement, Illinois, where he engaged in farming. On the 4th of February, 1874, he came to Neosho county, settling in Big Creek township, where he purchased government land, but with the M. K. & T. railroad holding a claim by government grant. For eight years there was litigation over this dispute but ultimately the settlers won their case and title to the land was obtained. Mr. Snyder continued farming until 1883, when he removed to Eric and engaged in the grain trade; but about two years ago he abandoned that business and has since been on the road selling heavy machinery.
On the 11th of December, 1866, Mr. Snyder married Miss Hannah M. Wynn, a native of Ohio, and a daughter of William and Hannah Wynn, who were born in Virginia but became early settlers of the Buckeye state. Six children have been born unto Mr. and Mrs. Snyder. William E., who resides on a ranch in Kingman county, Kansas, and is married to Miriam Roll, by whom he had one child, Robert R; Charles R., a railroad employs at Hoisington, Kansas, who married Ruth Blake and has a daughter, Estella; Oscar E., of Kansas City, who wedded Daisy Quackenbush, and has one child, Lena; Ettie L.; Mark W., and Elizabeth, who died at the age of nine months. The parents and children are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. and Mrs. Snyder belong to the Knights and Ladies of Security, while he is identified with Eric Post, No. 311, G. A. R. The family have a pleasant home in Erie. Mr. Snyder has led an upright, honorable lift, with due regard to the duties of citizenship, of business and of private life and his fidelity to honorable principles stands as an unquestioned fact in his career. [Source: History of Neosho and Wilson Counties, Kansas, Pub. by L. Wallace Duncan, Fort Scott, Kansas, Monitor Printing Co., 1902; tr. by VB]
William Waddle, M.D.
Prominent among the skillful Physicians and surgeons who were successfully engaged in the practice of their profession in Chillicothe a half century and more ago, was the late William Waddle, M.D., who was especially skillful in his treatment of the various diseases which human flesh is heir to. He was born in Chillicothe, September 19, 1811, in the family residence which then stood on the southeast corner of Paint and Second streets. Alexander Waddle, the doctor's grandfather, was born in Ireland, of Scotch ancestry, and was there reared and married. In 1784, accompanied by his wife and children, he came to America, and having purchased land in Franklin County, Pennsylvania, was there engaged in agricultural pursuits during the remainder of his life. His wife, whose maiden name was Elizabeth Mccormick, was also born in Ireland, of Scotch Lineage. She survived him, and spent the later years of her life in Portsmouth, Ohio. She was the mother of five children, Mary, Alexander, John, Joseph, and William. John Waddle was born in 1783 in Belfast, County Tyrone, Ireland, and was little more than an infant when brought by his parents to this country. Brought up in Franklin County, Pennsylvania, he was apprenticed at the age of 15 years Alexander Mclaughlin, a prosperous merchant in Pittsburgh. In 1803 he was sent by his employer to Chillicothe with a stock of merchandise, which he disposed of at an advantage. After his return to Pittsburgh, he formed a partnership with John Carlisle, in Chillicothe, with whom he was associated for short time, later having as partners Thomas Worthington and Amaziah Davidson. During the War of 1812 he was associated in business with General Denney, supplying the government with provisions. In 1822 he retired from mercantile pursuits, and in 1830 removed to Clark County, Ohio, where he had acquired title to considerable land, in Clark and Greene counties, which he intended t o improve. In 1831 he again visited Chillicothe, and having been suddenly taken ill with pneumonia, died in this city. John Waddle married, in 1806, Nancy Mann, who was born in Kentucky. Her father, William Mann, a native of Augusta County, Virginia, married Eleanor Raeburn, and soon after moved to Kentucky, locating in the Bluegrass Region, between Lexington and Georgetown. Mr. Mann died leaving three children, Elizabeth, Nancy and Mary. His widow subsequently married Captain Lamb, and in 1797 came with him and her children to Chillicothe. Mrs. John Waddle survived her husband 43 years, dying in 1873 at the advanced age of 85 years. She reared eight children, six of whom are living at the time of her death. They were Alexander, William, John, Eleanor, Lucy Ann, and Angus Laugham. Having laid a good foundation for his future education at the Chillicothe Academy, William Waddle continued his studies for two years in the Ohio State University, Athens, leaving that inst itution at the age of 18 years. Returning to his home in Clark County he worked on the farm for a year, and then began the study of medicine in Chillicothe, under the preceptorship of Dr. Fullerton. Subsequently entering the Jefferson Medical College, in Philadelphia, he was there graduated in 1836, and during the ensuing year traveled in the south. In 1838 Dr. Waddle located in Chillicothe, where his skill and ability found recognition. He build up a large and highly remunerative practice, and continued a resident of the city until his death on August 23, 1895. In 1863 the Dr. was appointed trustee of the Ohio University, and in 1868 was made a trustee of the Athens Insane Asylum, and for 10 years filled the office, resigning in 1878. In 1880 he was appointed a trustee of the Central Insane Asylum at Columbus. Dr. Waddle married, in 1845, Jane S. McCoy, a native of Chillicothe. Her father, John McCoy, was born in Franklin County, Pennsylvania, a son of Alexander McCoy, coming on both sides of the house of Scotch- Irish ancestry. Migrating to Ohio, he was for many years engaged in mercantile business in Chillicothe, as a merchant meeting with excellent success. The maiden name of the wife of Mr. McCoy was Janet McCracken, he was born in Pennsylvania, of Scotch-Irish ancestry, and of honored revolutionary stock. Nine children were born of the union of Dr. and Mrs. Waddle, namely: John McCoy, Elizabeth, William, Eleanor, Lucy, Jane, Edward F., Nancy, and Charles C. Dr. Waddle was a preeminently a pioneer spirit. In all that related to the betterment of mankind, he was ever foremost. Especially was this true of the profession he loved, and of his native town, which he had seen grow from such small beginnings, and for which he entertained such an enthusiastic devotion. He served for many years on the school board, and when the question of making it public library of the small school library arose, he threw himself with the ardor into the project using both his influence and his means to secure for this town so desirable an improvement. When the question of reclaiming the swamp of the "old riverbed" for a park was mooted by Mr. Bovey, he carried his plan to Dr. Waddle, who gave enthusiastic approval of to the scheme. Being at that time a trustee of the Athens Asylum, he invited Mr. Haerlein, who was landscape gardener there, to visit Chillicothe as his guest, to decide whether the scheme was feasible, and when his report was favorable, the Dr. used every energy, every influence, to make possible the park of which all Chillicotheans are so justly proud. Major Poland, Dr. Waddle, and Mr. Meggenhofen were the original park board, each one of them having a deep interest in the park which was born under their auspices. The words of his friend, Judge Milton L. Clark, delivered in the constitutional convention of 1873-1874, will mostly fittingly close this imperfect sketch: "Of my townsman, D r. William Waddle, no words of mine can exaggerate his merits. Eminent in his profession, second to few, if any in this state, a gentleman of large mind and superior mental abilities, a native of the `ancient metropolis' and foremost in every good work, his humanity and philanthropy know no bounds!" ["A Standard History of Ross County, Ohio: An Authentic Narrative of the Past, with Particular Attention to the Modern Era in the Commercial, Industrial, Civic and Social Development". By: Lyle S. Evans - CM - Sub by FoFG]
James W Watts
A physician and surgeon of Springfield township, studied medicine under the instruction of his father in Webster, Scioto county, Ohio, for eight years. He then attended lectures at the Ohio Medical College, in Cincinnati, for three winter terms; also about half a term at Louisville, Kentucky. He graduated at the Ohio Medical College, March 4, 1880, and located at Rio Grande, Gallia county. He afterward moved to Rodney, this county, where he is now practicing medicine. Mr. Watts was born in Rodney, Gallia county, January 19, 1851. His parents are Dr. W. M. Watts and Mary (Campbell) Watts. His wife, Euphernia S., daughter of Wiley and Sarah E. (Coverston) Hill, was born in Green township, Gallia county, March 3, 1856, and was there married to him September 22, 1878. Their only child, Mary, was born May 6, 1881, at home. Mr. Watts' brother, H. W. Watts, enlisted in the late war in the 91st Ohio Volunteer Infantry, 1863. He was appointed orderly sergeant of his company, and soon after was promoted to first lieutenant. He served as such till the close of the war, when he received an honorable discharge and returned home. Mrs. Watt's brother, George Hill, also served in the late war to the close, and received an honorable discharge. Address Dr. J. W. Watts at Kerr postoffice Gallia county, Ohio. [SOURCE: "History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c"; James P. Averill; Hardesty & Co., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882 - tr. by A. Parks]
Copyright © Genealogy Trails