Genealogy Trails - Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led

Summit County, Ohio
Genealogy and History



Biographies

- L -

George E. Lauby
GEORGE EDWARD LAUBY, doctor of chiropractic and founder and president of the Akron College of Chiropractic, has been more or less continuously identified with educational work since early manhood. He is a native of Summit County, and his residence is at his native town of Greensburg, where he was born on a farm September 9, 1882. His father, Levi Lauby, also a native of Summit County, combined his trade of stonemason with farming. He died in 1917, at the age of sixty-five. His wife was Alice York, and she is now Mrs. L.M. Kauffman, of Clinton, Ohio. George Edward Lauby was reared on a farm, attended country schools, made farming his principal work until 1907, and he still keeps in touch with that vocation, specializing in the breeding of fine poultry. As a teacher he taught in the schools of Stark, Portage and Summit counties, at Suffield, Mogadore, Uniontown, Greentown, Greensburg and North Canton, most of the time being supervisor of music in these schools. He was graduated in 1916 from the Palmer School of Chiropractic at Davenport, Iowa, and then for several years engaged in a successful practice at Akron. In 1922 he established and became president of the Akron college of Chiropractic. Doctor Lauby in 1920 was elected on the republican ticket as a member of the Ohio State Legislature and has the distinction of being the first chiropractor to sit in that body. He is affiliated with Akron Lodge of Masons; Washington Chapter, No. 25, Royal Arch Masons; Akron Council No. 80, Royal and Select Masters; Yusef Khan Grotto, and is also a past grand of Hadassah Lodge, No. 450, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, at Greentown. Doctor Lauby's first wife was Miss Rosa Carmany, who died leaving two sons, Ralph and Paul. Subsequently he married Myrtle Kauffman. Doctor and Mrs. Lauby have three daughters, Ruth, Grace and Fae.
["History of Ohio"; The American Historical Society, Inc., 1925 Vol. IV - Sub by FoFG]

George H. Lowrey
GEORGE H. LOWREY, vice president of the Security Trust and Savings Bank and secretary of the retail merchants division of the Chamber of Commerce of Mansfield, has been identified with a number of leading enterprises of the city, all of which have benefited by his ability, good judgment and industry. He has also acted in a number of official and civic capacities, and has shown himself a citizen of the progressive, constructive type, possessed of the ability and willingness to assist his community. Mr. Lowrey was born at Cuyahoga Falls, Summit County, Ohio, November 20, 1857, and is a son of Deming Norton and Eliza J. (Harrison) Lowrey, natives of the same county. The grandfather of George H. Lowrey, Shubel Howe Lowrey, came in an ox-wagon from New Canaan, Connecticut, in 1809, and settled at Tallmadge, Summit county, where he conducted a blacksmith shop until 1837. In that year he removed to Cuyahoga Falls, where his death occurred in 1871. Deming Norton Lowrey was born at Tallmadge and was a child when taken by his parents to Cuyahoga Falls, where he established himself in business as a merchant. He continued to conduct his modest business until the Civil war, and in 1862 became captain of Company G, One Hundred Fifteenth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, which he had assisted in organizing. At the battle of Murfreesboro, Tennessee, in October, 1864, Captain Lowrey and the greater part of his command were captured by the Confederate troops under General Forrest and were confined in Andersonville prison until exchanged in April, 1865. On his way home he was aboard the ill-fated "Sultana," which blew up on the Mississippi River, just above Memphis, April 23, 1865, and Captain Lowrey was one of those killed, he being but forty years of age at the time. His widow later married Minor H. Howe, and lived at Akron, Ohio, for a long period, dying there in January, 1922, aged eighty-seven years. Captain and Mrs. Lowrey were the parents of four sons and two daughters: Mrs. Helen E. Gray, of New York City; Homer J., who was a clerk in his father's company during the Civil war, and later was engaged in railroad work at Rock Island, Illinois, where he died in 1895; Ernest W., a graduate of Iowa State University, resided for time at Larned, Kansas, and in 1888 became a resident of Denver, Colorado, in the development of which city he played an important part, and where he died four of five years ago; Fred Deming, who joined his brother, Homer J., in railroad work at Rock Island, later joining his brother Ernest W. at Larned, Kansas, where he established a bank, became well-to-do and died in 1920; and Hattie A., the wife of Fred S. Ozier, of Akron, Manger of the Howe Hotel, which was founded by him and George H. Lowrey in 1915. George H. Lowrey accompanied his mother to Akron in 1866, and three years later went to Cleveland, where he attended the public schools. In 1873, at the time of his mother's second marriage, she removed to Mansfield, where Mr. Howe was a commercial salesman in the employ of the Bissman company. In 1887 Mr. Howe returned to Cuyahoga Falls and later went to Akron, where his death occurred. George H. Lowrey remained at Cleveland until 1875, having employment there as clerk in a shoe store. In the year mentioned he came to Mansfield, where he entered the employ of Keyser Brothers, shoe merchants, with whom he remained fifteen years, and in 1890 entered upon an independent career when, with W. W. Lemon, he opened the Lemon & Lowrey shoe store. He was identified with that business for sixteen years, but in 1906 disposed of his interests in that enterprise. In 1915, in company with F.S. Ozier, he built the Howe Hotel of eleven stories and 112 rooms, which is Akron's largest and finest hostelry. Mr. Lowrey served for some years as a member of the City Council, of which he was president for four years, and at the time of the death of Mayor F.S. Marquis succeeded him in office and served two years, from 1914. During the World war he was chairman of the Home Service and Civilian Relief Committee, and still retains this post. Mr. Lowrey has been a member of the Chamber of Commerce since its organization, was its secretary for several years, and since January, 1920, has been secretary of the retail merchants division of the body. He belongs to the Masons and Elks, and has a number of social connections, in addition to which he is identified with several large and important business and financial enterprises of Mansfield, among them the Security Trust and Savings Bank, of which he is vice president. With his family he belongs to the Congregational Church. When twenty-one years of age Mr. Lowrey was united in marriage to a Mansfield young woman, Catherine Hine, whose father conducted a retail meat market, and to this union there has been born one son, Harrison Deming, formerly a dental practitioner, but now connected with the Mansfield Tire and Rubber Company.
["History of Ohio"; The American Historical Society, Inc., 1925 - Sub by FoFG]




BACK -- HOME



Copyright © Genealogy Trails