- M -
Albert D. Mahany
Having served his country faithfully in the Civil war, and borne since the memorable contest the marks of its burdens, and having devoted to the pursuits of peace the same spirit of courage and determination he showed in the presence of the enemy and the presence of death in war. Albert D. Mahany, one of the prominent and successful ranchmen and stockgrowers of Mesa county, living half a mile north of Fruita, has won a substantial estate out of hard conditions and is comfortably fixed in a worldly way as well as firmly established in the regard and good will of his fellow men. He was born at Buffalo, New York, near the site of the present postoffice of the city, on December 5. 1844, and is the son of John and Mary Mahany, natives of Ireland, who came to the United States many years ago and located at Buffalo, where they both died. The father served in a New York regiment three years during the Civil war, and took part in many noted engagements. He was wounded at the battle of Antietam on September 16, 1862, and was then transferred to the reserve corps. There were three sons and two daughters in the family, and he also had a daughter by a former marriage. The oldest son, Henry Mahany, went south in his young manhood, and was employed on Mississippi river steamboats a number of years. He was on board the "Natchez" under Captain Leathers during the time of the midnight race. As captain of the New Orleans Cadets he rendered valiant service to the Confederacy in the war between the states, and was killed at the first battle of Fredericksburg. Albert D. Mahany lived in Buffalo until he was ten years old, then went to Alton, Illinois, and during two or three years made his home with his half sister, his mother having died when he was two years old. From Alton he went to Bloomington, Illinois, and lived two years, then moved to Twinsburg, Ohio. He attended the public schools when he had opportunity, and in August, 1861, at the age of sixteen and in obedience to the call of the President for volunteers to defend the Union, enlisted in Company K, Nineteenth Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry, under General O. M. Mitchell. His command was ordered to Louisville, then under General Crittenden, but in the latter part of the war it was in the Fourth Army Corps, Army of the Cumberland. He served to the close of the war, nearly four years, re-enlisting in the same company and regiment at the end of his term, and was discharged on June 25, 1865. He saw a great deal of active field service, participating in the engagements at Perryville, Shiloh, Corinth, Stone River, Chickamauga, Chattanooga, Missionary Ridge, Picket's Mills, Kenesaw Mountain, Pine Top, Peach Tree Creek, Atlanta, Jonesboro and Lovejoy Station, besides skirmishes too numerous to mention. At Lovejoy Station he was shot in the right arm and the wound required that two inches of the bone should be taken out. This so incapacitated him that he was in a hospital at the time of his discharge, and was unable to do labor of any kind for some time after his return home. He therefore went to school two years, and in 1867 came to Colorado, and locating at Georgetown, worked a year in the Ten Mile district. He then opened a bakery and grocery store at Georgetown called the Ohio Bakery, the building he put up for the purpose being occupied as a courthouse. Two years later he sold his interest to his partner and went to Chattanooga, Tennessee, where he lived eight years conducting a grocery. At the end of that period he returned to Colorado, and after passing a year and a half at Denver, engaged in the cattle industry near Estabrook five years. In 1883 he moved to Grand valley and took up one hundred and sixty acres of land on which he now lives and carries on an extensive farming and stock industry half a mile north of Fruita, having about four hundred cattle on the range. He is also interested in mining in Sinbad valley where he has promising copper claims. In politics Mr. Mahany is an unwavering Republican, and is always earnest and effective in the service of his party. He was married on November 9, 1869, to Miss Marena E. Post, a native of Hudson, Ohio, and daughter of Bradford and Eliza (Williams) Post, also natives of that state, their people being its pioneers and coming from Connecticut. Mrs. Mahany's mother has been dead a number of years and her father died in 1904 at St. Elmo, Tennessee. Mr. and Mrs. Mahany have nine children: Effie A., wife of J. S. O'Neill, Charles H. , Anna S., wife of E. E. Adams, Albert B., Mary E., wife of J. W. Robinson, Jennie A., wife of Frank M. Downer, and Lena S., Ira Z. and Ellen L., living at home. The head of the house is a member of the order of Odd Fellows and the Grand Army of the Republic. He and his family belong to the Congregational church. [Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Tracy McAllister]
Mrs. Mann places her birth sometime in 1861 during the first year of the Civil War, on a plantation owned by Dick Belcher, about thirty miles southwest of Richmond, Virginia.
Her father, Frederick Green, was owned by Belcher and her mother, Mandy Booker, by Race Booker on an adjoining plantation. Her grandparents were slaves of Race Booker.
After the slaves were freed she went with her parents to Clover Hill, a small hamlet, where she worked out as a servant until she married Beverly Mann. Rev. Mike Vason, a white minister, performed the ceremony with, only her parents and a few friends present. At the close of the ceremony, the preacher asked if they would "live together as Isaac and Rebecca did." Upon receiving a satisfactory reply, he pronounced them man and wife.
Mr. and Mrs. Mann were of a party of more than 100 ex-slaves who left Richmond in 1880 for Silver Creek where Mr. Mann worked in the coal mines. Two years later they moved to Wadsworth where their first child was born.
In 1883 they came to Akron. Mr. Mann, working as laborer, was able to purchase two houses on Furnace Street, the oldest and now one of the poorer negro sections of the city. It is situated on a high bluff overlooking the Little Cuyahoga River.
Today Mrs. Mann, her daughter, a son-in-law and one grandchild occupy one of the houses. Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Mann, but only one is living. Mr. Mann, a deacon in the church, died three years ago. Time has laid its heavy hand on her property. It is the average home of colored people living in this section, two stories, small front yeard, enclosed with wooden picket fence. A large coal stove in front room furnishes heat. In recent years electricity has supplanted the overhead oil lamp.
Most of the furnishings were purchased in early married life. They are somewhat worn but arranged in orderly manner and are clean.
Mrs. Mann is tall and angular. Her hair is streaked with gray, her face thin, with eyes and cheek bones dominating. With little or no southern accent, she speaks freely of her family, but refrains from discussing affairs of others of her race.
She is a firm believer in the Bible. It is apparent she strives to lead a religious life according to her understanding. She is a member of the Second Baptist Church since its organization in 1892.
Having passed her three score and ten years she is "ready to go when the Lord calls her."
Source: "Wilbur Ammon, Editor, George Conn, Writer, C.R. McLean, District Supervisor - June 16, 1937; Folklore, Summit County, District #9]
W. KEE MAXWELL, is joint owner and editor of the Akron Evening and Sunday Times, the best local democratic paper in Summit County, and the only Sunday newspaper published in Akron. It is also the only Akron newspaper to carry the Associated Press Service. The Akron Evening and Sunday Times represents a continuous newspaper history in Akron since 1867, when the Akron City Times was established and which with some changes has continued down to the present time. It was a weekly until 1892, when a daily issue was started under the name Times-Democrat. The present owners of the Times came to Akron from Peoria, Illinois, where they were prominent in the newspaper business. W. Kee Maxwell was born at Bardolph, Illinois, January 12, 1879, son of Henry A. and Mary Elizabeth (Kee) Maxwell. He acquired a common school education, and began his newspaper experience as a printer on the Bardolph news. He also had some further experience conducting weekly newspapers at Smithfield, Kane and Oneida, Illinois, and in 1911 moved to Peoria, serving as editor of the Peoria Transcript until 1913, and from 1913 to 1916 was editor of the Peoria Journal. On November 1, 1916, Mr. Maxwell and Ross F. Walker purchased the ownership of the Akron Times, which for nearly twenty years had been published by E.F. Harter and Judge C.R. Grant. They completely reorganized the business, changing the name from the Akron Times to the Akron Evening Times. Mr. Maxwell is a member of the Associated Press and American Editors Association, and is also a member of the American Press Humorists Association. In addition to his routine production through many years through the columns of his own paper, he has been a contributor of fiction and humor to magazines. In Akron he is a member of the Rotary Club, the Akron City Club, the Fairlawn Golf Club, and is affiliated with the Elks and Eagles. He attends the Universalist Church and is a democrat in politics. Mr. Maxwell married, October 12, 1899, Miss Alma Burnett, of Kane, Illinois. Their two children are Burnett K. and Irene. Ross F. Walker, who is manager of the Akron Evening and Sunday Times, was born at Twin Grove in Green County, Wisconsin, January 7, 1877, son of Ed L. and Leah M. (Griffith) Walker. He acquired a common school education, and as a young man went to Chicago, where his newspaper experience began in 1900. In 1902 he took the management of the Peoria Journal, and was prominent in that influential Central Illinois paper until November, 1918, when he and Mr. W. Kee Maxwell came to Akron and bought the Times. Mr. Walker is serving as a member of the Ohio State Prison Commission under appointment from Governor Donahey. He is a director of the Akron Better Business Commission, is a trustee of the Akron Art Institute, a member of the Executive Council of the Boy Scouts, and belongs to the American Newspaper Publishers' Association. He is a democrat in politics and attends the Universalist Church. He has membership in the Akron City club, the Fairlawn Golf Club, the Kiwanis Club, and the Elks and Eagles, fraternities. Mr. Walker married, November 26, 1902, Miss Nettie N. Foster. Their children are Foster, Horace F. and Annabelle. ["History of Ohio"; The American Historical Society, Inc., 1925 Vol. IV - Sub by FoFG]
OTIS MILLER-- was born near Hudson Ohio May 18, 1834. His parents were Ransley and Abby Miller. He was married September 18, 1858, to Nancy D. Sloan, daughter of David E and Mary A Sloan. They had nine children: Mary A, born June 29, 1859; Minnie , January 22,, 1861, died September 18, 1862; Clara E, February 09, 1863; Edwin D, September 16, 1866; Letitia A, May 06, 1868; Otis, Jr, March 28, 1870; Conrad B, October 08, 1872; Grace N, July 05, 1877; Kate E, September 30, 1879. Mr. Miller moved to Iowa in 1853, going to Hillsboro, coming from there to Kirksville, Missouri, on January 05, 1854. He farmed seven miles northeast of Kirksville until 1899, then retired, came to Kirksville and built a residence. He sold his farm, which consisted of 140 acres. His residence in Kirksville was destroyed in the tornado of April 27, 1899, at which time his wife and daughter received serious injuries. Mrs. Miller has never recovered from the injuries she received. He was a member of Company A, 37th Missouri Volunteer Infantry, taking part in the battle fought at Centrailia, Missouri. His Company lost their captain and fifty-six men in that battle. Mr. Miller was first sergeant and it was part of his duty to report loss of life. He enlisted as private was made Sergeant, later Sergeant Major, then promoted to Second Lieutenant in Company I, 41st Regiment, Missouri Volunteer Infantry. He is a Republican and he and his wife belong to the Christian church. He is a member of Corporal Dix post, No. 22, G.A.R.[Source Info: "The History of Adair County Missouri" by E.M. Violette (1911) - DR - Sub by FoFG]
Edward M. Milligan
EDWARD M. MILLIGAN, the city engineer of Niles, Trumbull County, has had varied and important experience in the work of his profession as a civil engineer, and has held in this connection many positions of exceptional trust and responsibility. Edward Marshall Milligan was born at Hudson, Summit County, Ohio, December 6, 1866, and is a son of Levi and Sarah (Busler) Milligan, the former of whom was born at Rutland, Vermont, in 1846, and the latter of whom was born in Pennsylvania, their marriage having been solemnized at Bedford, Ohio. The death of the father occurred in 1913, in the City of Cleveland, where the widowed mother still maintains her home. Levi Milligan passed the period of his boyhood and youth in the State of New York and in Canada, and he early learned the trade of tanner. After his marriage he continued his residence for a time at Bedford, Ohio, and he finally removed with his family to Kirksville, Missouri, in 1870. There he owned and operated a tannery, and within a comparatively short time he sold the plant and business and removed to the City of Chicago, where he erected and equipped a tannery. This establishment was destroyed in the historic Chicago fire of 1871, before it had been placed in operation, and as Mr. Milligan had no insurance on the plant he was financially ruined. He returned to Ohio and here reengaged in the work of his trade. In 1876 he established his permanent residence in Cleveland, and there he passed the remainder of his life. His sterling integrity in all of the relations of life commended him to the confidence and esteem of his fellow men. Of the children Edward M., of this sketch, is the eldest; Bertha A. is the wife of Warren Brainard, of Cleveland; Alice L. is the wife of George Nuss, and they likewise reside in Cleveland; Harry W. served in the United States Army in the World war period and was still in the service at the time of his death, in 1919; Mae died in childhood, and Warren is employed in the City of Cleveland. The public schools of Cleveland afforded Edward M. Milligan his early education, but at the age of fourteen years he left school and found employment in a printing establishment. He was thus engaged in a printing establishment. He was thus engaged about one year, and then entered upon an apprenticeship in an electrotype and stereotype foundry in Cleveland. he became a skilled workman and gained the grade of journeyman electrotyper and stereotyper when he was eighteen years of age. He did not follow his trade long thereafter, but became associated with civil-engineering work, in the capacity of rodman and general helper. While thus gaining practical experience he fortified himself technically by careful study of civil engineering, and in due course he became a competent surveyor and engineer. In 1890 he was assigned charge of wharf and dry-dock construction work in Cleveland, and after having been thus engaged two years he was associated with engineering service in connection with railroad work and city improvements in Cleveland until 1919. He then became assistant division engineer of the Erie Railroad, with headquarters at Youngstown, Ohio. In 1902 he became city engineer of Warren, judicial center of Trumbull County, where he thus continued his service until 1909, returning then to Youngstown and assuming charge of the good-roads district of Mahoning County. In 1910 he had supervision of both survey and construction work in the building of the Milton reservoir to supply water to the City of Youngstown, and with this important branch of municipal service he there continued his association until 1918. During that year he was in charge of grade-crossing construction in Youngstown, and in 1919 he was chosen principal assistant engineer of that important industrial city. He retained this position until 1921, since which year he has continued his efficient service as city engineer of Niles, where he has had charge of much important improvement work in the intervening period. Mr. Milligan is a loyal advocate and supporter of the principles of the republican party, and at Youngstown he still retains his affiliation with Robert E. Johnson Lodge No. 614, Knights of Pythias. he owns his home property at Niles, on Russell Avenue. In the City of Cleveland, in November, 1891, Mr. Milligan wedded Miss Alice M. Krause, daughter of the late Frank L. and Alice V. (Burlingame) Krause, both of whom died in that city, Mr. Krause having been a civil engineer by vocation. Mr. and Mrs. Milligan have no children. ["History of Ohio"; The American Historical Society, Inc., 1925 Vol. IV - Sub by FoFG]
Rev. Thomas E. Monroe
Son of Job and Phoebe (Collins) Monroe, of Scotch descent, was born at Plainfield, Conn., April 28. 1829; raised on farm with common school and academical education; at 17 began teaching in Rhode Island, continuing three years; then entered a preparatory school in Providence, the year following entering Oberlin College, graduating from the classical course in 1856 and from the theological course in 1858; ordained as a minister of the Gospel in 1859 by the Cleveland Conference. Preaching one year in Amherst, Lorain County, in 1860 Mr. Monroe became the pastor of the First Congregational Church in Mount Vernon, the church membership increasing during his thirteen years pastorate from 150 to 457 and the society building a new church edifice at a cost of $38,000. April 1, 1873, Mr. Monroe became the pastor of the First Congregational Church of Akron, which position he still retains; the society in the intervening 18 years, besides making extensive improvements on its house of worship, having increased its membership from 268 to 903, besides contributing 100 of its members to the West Congregational Church, organized in 1888. June 3, 1859, Mr. Monroe was married to Miss Hannah Mary Bernard, of Philadelphia, who has borne him one child, Pauline, now a teacher in the city of Philadelphia. ["Fifty Years and over of Akron & Summit Co.," 1892 - CD - Sub by FoFG]
Arthur S. Mottinger
ARTHUR S. MOTTINGER has for over twenty years been one of the able attorneys comprising the Akron bar. His law firm has handled an important share of the litigation in local courts, and he has achieved his success in the strict limits of his profession rather than in politics. Mr. Mottinger was born in Green Township, Summit County, Ohio, May 14, 1873, son of Daniel J. and Elizabeth J. (Schumacher) Mottinger, and grandson of John J. and Barbara (Long) Mottinger. His grandfather, son of a soldier in the War of 1812, was born in 1799, and established his home in Summit County in 1830. Daniel J. Mottinger was born in 1841, served as a Union soldier in the One Hundred and Sixty-fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry in the latter part of the Civil war, and devoted the greater part of his active career to farming. He died at Akron in 1901. The mother was born in Mercer County, Pennsylvania, in 1845. Arthur S. Mottinger grew up on his father's farm, attending country schools, and in 1892 graduated from the Uniontown High school. He was a teacher for two years, then entered Hiram College, where he took his Bachelor of Philosophy degree in 1899. He also had one year in law at Hiram, and for a time attended the Hamilton College of Law in Chicago, from which institution he later received the degree of Master of Laws. He was admitted to the bar by the Ohio Supreme Court in January, 1901, and subsequently admitted to practice in the Federal Court. Mr. Mottinger has practiced individually and also with several of the prominent lawyers of Summit County. His longest association was with the late Judge J.A. Kohler. They were together until a short time before the death of Judge Kohler in 1916. Mr. Mottinger is now senior member of the law firm Mottinger & Evans, with offices in the Ohio Building. He is a member of the Summit County and Ohio State Bar associations. Mr. Mottinger was president of the Akron Young Men's Christian Association from 1909 to 1912. He became a trustee of Hiram College in 1914, and is on the official board of the High Street Church of Christ, and has been active in a number of civic and patriotic movements in his home city. On August 9, 1906, Mr. Mottinger married Miss Cassie M. Lawyer, of Burton, Ohio, daughter of Dr. and Mrs. John J. Lawyer. They have two children, Claude W. and Marcia Elizabeth. ["History of Ohio"; The American Historical Society, Inc., 1925 Vol. IV - Sub by FoFG]
BACK -- HOME
Copyright © Genealogy Trails