Summit County, Ohio
- W -
Charles P. Whitney
CHARLES P. WHITNEY, a well-known citizen of Mount Vernon (WA), is a native of the Buckeye state, born at Akron, in 1837, the son of William H. and Mary (Bixey) Whitney. The father, of English descent, was himself a descendant of Yankee stock and claimed Vermont as his birthplace. He came to Ohio in early life and in 1839 settled in Columbia County, Wisconsin, becoming one of the earliest pioneers of that section. His death occurred in Iowa in 1888. The mother was born in New York state and survived only a short time after the removal of the family to Wisconsin. Mr. Whitney, of this article, reached his majority in the Badger state, receiving an education such as the schools of that sparsely settled frontier afforded and time would permit, after which he went to Wapello County, Iowa. There he followed farming for a number of years. In 1873 he took up his residence in Marion, Marion County, Kansas, there devoting his energies and abilities principally to the real estate and insurance business with good success. He came to the Northwest in 1891 searching for a more satisfactory location, and, becoming impressed with the Skagit country, established a permanent home at Mount Vernon. He pursued, until 1904, the lines he had followed in Kansas. He was then elected to the office of justice of the peace at the hands of the Republican party of which he has ever been a loyal member, and served his fellow citizens in that important capacity with credit until the fall of 1905. He then entered upon his present business as traveling salesman for the Spaulding Buggy Company, of Grinnell, Iowa, which business carried him again across the continent.
Mr. Whitney was married at Marion, Kansas, in 1876, to Anna J. McLean, the daughter of Major J. K. and Elizabeth McLean. Major McLean was a veteran of the Civil War and in that struggle won prominence because of his courage and military skill. Mrs. Whitney was born January 4, 1855. Mr. and Mrs. Whitney have a family of five children: Edith and Inez, twins, born March 12, 1878; Leo C. January 13, 1885; Lois B., July 8, 1888; and George K., June 27, 1890. Inez is now the wife of R. G. Hanaford, cashier of the First National Bank of Mount Vernon, while her twin sister, Edith, is married to W. M. King, a dentist of Mount Vernon. Leo C. Whitney is engaged in newspaper work on the sound and Lois B. is attending high school. Mrs. Whitney is a member of the Episcopal church and belongs to the Eastern Star and Rathbone lodges. A man of earnest purpose, able in his business and commanding the respect of his associates, Mr. Whitney is one of the substantial factors in the progress of his community. ["An Illustrated History of Skagit and Snohomish Counties, Washington" Inter-State Publishing Company, Chicago, Illinois, 1906. Submitted by M.K.Krogman.]
De Witt Gilbert Wilcox
Wilcox, De Witt Gilbert, physician and surgeon of Buffalo, N.Y., was born Jan. 15, 1858, in Akron, Ohio. Since 1890 he has conducted his own private hospital under the name of Lexington Heights hospital. ["Herringshaw's American Blue-Book of Biography" by Thomas William Herringshaw and American Publishers' Association, 1914, - TK - Sub by FoFG]
Charles A. Wilson
Charles A. Wilson, of Gunnison county, a prosperous and progressive ranchman, has had successes and adversities in life, but through them all he has preserved his equipoise and determination of spirit, and by his admirable qualities of head and heart he has finally become well and permanently established in worldly comfort and public esteem. He was born in Summit county, Ohio, on February 25, 1844, and is the son of Sullivan s. and Samantha (Clark) Wilson, the father a native of Vermont and the latter of Massachusetts. Both accompanied their parents to Ohio when young, and in that state they were reared and married. The father was a prosperous farmer and a man of prominence in his county, serving as its treasurer for a number of years. He died in Michigan in 1892, aged eighty-one years. The mother died in Ohio in 1876. Mr. Wilson's paternal grandfather, Jonathan Wilson, was a soldier in the war of 1812. His grandson grew to manhood in his native county, being reared on a farm and educated at the district schools and at a good academy located at Tallmadge. He remained at home until 1862 when he enlisted in Company C, One Hundred and Fifteenth Ohio Infantry, in defense of the Union during the Civil war, but after less than a year of service he was discharged on account of severe illness contracted in the line of duty. In 1871 he moved to Kansas and, locating in Woodson county, took up one hundred and sixty acres of land and bought one hundred and sixty more. There for more than twenty years, he was actively engaged in the live-stock business, acquiring a competency which he afterward lost through drought and low prices. Then borrowing money for the purpose, he came to Colorado in 1892, and soon after his arrival bought on time the ranch which is now his home and is located six miles northeast of Gunnison on the Gunnison river. It comprises one hundred and seventy acres of land, practically all under irrigation, and yields excellent crops of hay and grain. When he bought the place much of it was covered with timber, but he has it nearly all cleared now. In addition to his ranching operations Mr. Wilson conducts a flourishing livestock industry here, and through hard work, strict economy and close and careful attention to every detail of his work he has prospered, and is now one of the substantial citizens of the county. Politically he is independent and fraternally has belonged to the Masonic order since 1876. On November 11, 1868, he was married to Miss Sarah Woodridge, a native of England who came to the United States with her parents when she was five years old. She died in Kansas on May 11, 1886, leaving nine children, all still living, Laura A., Delberta, S. Albert, Orlena, Samantha, Amy, Joel W., Kate and Fred. On June 22, 1890, their father married a second wife, Mrs. Elizabeth (Klinkinbeard) Alvy, a native of Iowa. They have two children, their daughter Mabel and Cecil. [Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Nancy Overlander]
Benjamin F. Willson
Benjamin F. Willson, a real-estate dealer operating in Summit, was born in Noble county, Indiana, February 15, 1860, a son of Cassius Wilder and Rosanna (Marsh) Willson. The grandfather, Cassius Willson, Sr., was a native of New York and died in Ohio, while the maternal grandfather, Nathaniel Marsh, was a native of Vermont and spent his last days in the Soldiers' Home at Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He had served throughout the Civil war as a soldier in the Union army and he had three sons in the service with him. The father of our subject was born in the state of New York in 1830 and after living for a time in Ohio removed to Indiana, where he purchased land and carried on farming. In 1866 he took his family to Minnesota and became the owner of a farm in Olmsted county, upon which he resided for more than a quarter of a century. In the fall of 1892 he arrived in South Dakota and engaged in the butchering business at South Shore, while later he turned his attention to the grocery trade in the same town. In 1899 he located in Summit, where his remaining days were passed. His wife was born in the Green Mountain state in January, 1835, and their marriage was celebrated in Ohio. The father passed away in Summit, May 24, 1901, while his widow survived until December, 1913. In the various communities in which they lived they enjoyed the warm regard of those with whom they came in contact. In politics Mr. Willson was active as a stalwart republican and he held a number of township offices. To him and his wife were born nine children, of whom seven are living: John Riley, who is engaged in the transfer business at Osage, Iowa; G. E., the Watertown, South Dakota, representative of the International Harvester Company and also an auctioneer; Benjamin F.; Mrs. G. W. Cram, of Salt Lake City, Utah, whose husband is a railroad man; H. A., who is engaged in the real-estate business in Kansas City, Missouri; C. M., proprietor of a billiard hall at Aberdeen; and G. B., a barber of Watertown.
Benjamin F. Willson, accompanied his parents to Minnesota when a lad of six years, pursued his education in the district schools of Olmsted county and afterward took up the occupation of farming, which he followed until 1894. In the meantime he had secured a homestead claim in Grant county, South Dakota, in 1881, retaining the ownership of that property until 1913. When he put aside the active work of the farm in 1894 he removed to South ?? where he lived a short time, and in 1895 he engaged in the transfer business in Osage, Iowa, there remaining until 1898. In that year he went to Austin, Minnesota, where for six months he conducted a hotel, and on the 1st of September, 1898, he removed to Summit, South Dakota, where he engaged in the hotel business for sixteen years and one month. He was quite successful in that connection and although he reached Summit with a capital of but five hundred dollars is now one of the prosperous citizens of his part of the state. He has largely retired from active business although he deals to some extent in real estate and is the owner of a half section of land in Canada.
On the 3d of February, 1892, Mr. Willson wedded Miss Ethel Tenney, a native of Wisconsin. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity and both he and his wife are connected with the Order of the Eastern Star. He is also identified with the Modern Woodmen of America and his political allegiance is given to the republican party. He has held all of the town offices, the duties of which he has discharged with promptness and fidelity, but whether in office or out of it he is ever a loyal, public-spirited citizen and he has cooperated in many movements which have been directly beneficial to his community. ["History of Dakota Territory", By George Washington Kingsbury, George Martin Smith - Pub by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1915 - KT - Sub by FoFG]
George Mitchell Wright
Wright, George Mitchell, soldier, lawyer and geologist of Akron, Ohio, was born on Aug. 8, 1847, in Tallmadge, Ohio. He served in the Spanish-American war. He is chief of ordinance with the rank of colonel in the Ohio National guard. ["Herringshaw's American Blue-Book of Biography" by Thomas William Herringshaw and American Publishers' Association, 1914, - TK - Sub by FoFG]
James R. Wright
JAMES RICHARDS WRIGHT, born at Tallmadge, O., June 27, 1814. Entered Oberlin College in 1835; graduated from the classical course in 1838, and from the seminary in 1841. Married July 31, 1844, to Sarah Holmes Vincent; ordained at Sheffield, O., 1848, and preached there 1845-58, 1867-69; Ridgeville, 1855-62, and also at Napoleon, 1855-59; at Lena and Wauseon, 1859-62. Then he went to Benzonia, Mich., where he preached until 1867. He then removed to Santa Clara Co., Cal. Here he kept a summer resort for tourists until 1887, and for many years was in the fruit business assisted by his eldest son. He continued to be active in S. S. work, and preached occasionally until a short time before his death, Sept. 2, 1897. He was the father of ten children, of whom three sons died in young manhood. [Source: Necrology Oberlin College For The Year 1897-8. Transcribed by: Helen Coughlin]
BACK -- HOME
Copyright © Genealogy Trails