Trumbull County, Ohio
Halbert Brigham Case
CASE, Halbert Brigham, attorney at law; born Mecca, Trumbull Co., Ohio, May 3, 1838; son Joseph Luther and Eliza P. (Bidwell) Case; English descent; graduate University of Michigan, L.B., March 29, 1864; married Caroline Esther Kibbee June 23, 1863; she died April 23, 1872, and he later married Janie M. Spooner; member I.O.O.F. (past grand master and past chief patriarch), G.A.R. (past department commander); member Tenn. State Legislature 83-85, 85-87; state senate 1897-99; member Co. H, 7th reg. Ohio Volunteer Infantry, second and first lieutenant; also captain Co. C 84th Ohio Vol. Infantry; appointed colonel Sept. 20, 1862; admitted to bar of Michigan March 30, 1864; first practiced in Youngstown, Ohio, then Des Moines, Iowa; participated in Civil War; battles of Cross Lanes, W. Va., Gauley Bridge, W. Va., McCoys Mills, W. Va., Blues Gap, W. Va., Kerns Town, W. Va.; moved to Chattanooga 1874; city attorney of Chattanooga 76-78. [Source: Whos Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
James J. Davidson
It is of old Pennsylvania stock that the subject of this memoir comes, his parents, George W. and Nancy Davidson, being natives of that state and belonging to families long resident on its prolific soil. The elder Davidsons farmed in their native state and in Ohio, Missouri and Illinois, the latter being their final home. The father served on the Union side in the Civil war, going in as a private and being mustered out as a captain. He made a good record and although in many important engagements, he escaped unhurt. He was also successful in farming. He ardently supported the Republican party in politics, and both he and his wife Methodists. They had a family of nine children, Maria, John, George, Joseph, Hiram, James J., William, Nancy and Katharine. Joseph and George are dead. James J. was born in Trumbull county, Ohio, on June 30, 1831. He attended the common schools and early in life took his place in the ranks of the world's workers so as not be a charge on his parents or others. He remained on the home farm in Illinois until 1847, then started on a trip to California with an ox team, but on reaching Utah he abandoned the journey temporarily and accepted employment in caring for stock. In 1849 he completed his trip to the Golden State and after arriving below Auburn on the American river, he located some placer mines which proved to be rich and very profitable. The failure of his health obliged him to seek a milder climate and he went in 1850 to southern California, locating in San Bernardino county and afterward moving to Los Angeles county. There he gave attention to ranching and raising stock and also engaged somewhat in teaming. He remained until 1875, then disposed of all his California interests and moved to Wyoming, locating on Snake river, taking a squatter's right to a good tract of land which he improved and lived on until 1880, then sold at a good profit. During that year he changed his residence to Colorado, making his home with his son George, who owns one of the best ranches of its size in Routt county, productive in grain, hay and vegetables and is furnished with good buildings and other improvements, containing a wide grazing range for the cattle which are produced in numbers and well watered for purposes of irrigation. When the son located here the nearest settler was Mr. Perkins, on Snake river, sixteen miles distant. Mr. Davidson is a Republican in political conviction and action and a serviceable worker for the success of his party. He was married on September 4, 1851, to Miss Lydia Shepherd, a native of Clay county, Missouri, the daughter of Samuel and Charity Shepherd, who were born in Vermont, and who, after living in a number of places, finally located in California, where they ended their lives. The father was a soldier in the war of 1812, a wheelwright by trade and in later years of his life a farmer. He died in October, 1877, having survived his wife just six months. Their only living child is Mrs. Davidson. She and her husband have had fourteen children, but six of whom are living: Viola, wife of Lycurgus Colbert; George W.; Winifred, wife of William Ham; Ethel, wife of Price Sims; Andrew and Carl. The ranch in which Mr. Davidson is interested is managed by his son George W., who married on February 17, 1883 to Miss Emma Lamb, a native of Iowa. The son, like the father, is a Republican. [Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
Bertram B. Downs
DOWNS Bertram B, St Paul. Res 1925 Marshall av, office 316 Robert st. Merchant. Born April 26, 1866 at Warren O, son of Wilson and Elizabeth (Hardman) Downs. Pres St Paul Electric Co electrical supplies 1901 to date. [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
Ephraim B. Eshelman
ESHELMAN, HON. EPHRAIM B., was born, December 8th, 1830, in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania. He is the son of Peter Eshelman and Mary (Carlysle) Eshelman. He began his education in the common schools of his native State, and finished at a select boarding-school. He learned his trade as a printer in the office of The Intelligencer, at Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Shortly after reaching his majority he went to Ohio and worked a few years at his trade in Trumbull county. In 1853 he purchased the Chillicothe Advertiser, which he edited and published until January 1st, 1865, when he became connected with the daily Ohio Statesman, as part owner and editor-in-chief. He retained this connection until February, 1869, since which time he has been editor and half owner of the Wayne County Democrat, published at Wooster. Mr. Eshelman was Postmaster at Chillicothe under Buchanan's administration. In 1873 he was elected from Wayne county, as a Democrat, to the Ohio House of Representatives. He was Chairman of the Committee on Finance and a member of the Committees on Federal Relations and Public Printing. Mr. Eshelman is a forcible writer and an effective speaker. [Source: "The Biographical encyclopaedia of Ohio of the nineteenth century", Cincinnati: Galaxy Pub. Co., 1876 - Sub by K. Torp]
Arminta Victoria Scott Haensler
HAENSLER, Mrs. Arminta Victoria Scott, physician, born in Kinsman, Ohio, 27th July, 1842. Her maiden name was Scott, and her parents were of Scotch-American extraction. Her father, a teacher, married one of his pupils. Of this union Mrs. Haensler is the third child. She had more trials during her childhood than at any time since, owing to her parents' belief in and practice of "good wholesome restraint" and her own intense dislike of being curbed or controlled. She became converted in her eleventh year, and then earnestly began to control herself. At that early age she showed a quick mind, an excellent memory and fine mathematical powers. She entered Kinsman Academy at fourteen years of age, doing domestic service in the family of a Presbyterian minister for her board. She made rapid progress in study and began to teach when she was eighteen years old. Her attention was turned to medicine by reading a newspaper article concerning Elizabeth Blackwell and her trials in securing a medical education. Miss Scott then determined to be a physician in some large city, and thenceforth all her energies were spent in earning the money and preparing herself for the medical profession. She taught for six years. At the age of twenty-four she entered Farmington Seminary, and a year later she went to Oberlin College. There she helped in household work as an equivalent for her board. After some months she went to the Ladies' Hall, where, during the rest of the course, she taught both private pupils and college classes. As soon as she had earned the degree of A.B., she received the offer of an excellent position, not only as teacher, but as reviewer, editor and reporter. She was true to her aim and entered the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania, from which, in 1875, she received the degree of M.D. Since then Dr. Scott has practiced in Philadelphia and at different times has held the positions of resident physician of the Mission Hospital, gynaecologist to the Stockton Sanitarium, consulting gynaecologist to the Pennsylvania Asylum for the Insane, consulting physician to the Woman's Christian Association, lecturer to the Woman's Christian Association, lecturer to the Working Women's Club, member of the Philadelphia Clinical Society, member of the Philadelphia Electro-Therapeutic Society, member of the Alumni Association of the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania, resident physician to the Franklin Reformatory Home for Women, physician to the Hospital and Dispensary for Women and Children, and lecturer before the National Woman's Health Association of America. Dr. Scott is the author of a lecture on Alaska, which country is among the many she has visited, and is the author of several articles on medical topics. On 13th November, 1890, she became the wife of Franz Joseph Haensler, M.D., of Philadelphia. [Source: "American Women" by Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Vol. 1, 1897. - MS - Sub by FoFG]
George Washington Hamer
Is a son of John and Margaret (Newbold) Hamer. He was born in Trumbull county, Ohio, October 26, 1842. He was married to Sabina Crump, in this township, April 28, 1870. She was born in Greenfield township October 27, 1851. The following embrace their children: Leeoinell, born February 15, 1871, died March 13, 1871; Minerva Rubea, February 19, 1872; Joseph Oscar, December 21, 1873; Walter, August 6, 1876, died January 8, 1877; Lillie Blanche, April 8, 1877, resides at home; George W., November 9, 1880, died November 30, 1880; Sabina, January 7, 1882. The parents of Mrs. Hamer are Joseph and Minervia (McLaughlin) Crump. Her father was born in 1803, and died September 28, 1877. Her mother was born June 8, 1818, and lives in this county. John Hamer, a brother of George, served in the late war four years in the 91st Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Company C. he participated in several battles, but escaped harm. He now resides in Pike county, where he is engaged in farming. Mr. Hamer is engaged in farming in Greenfield township. His postoffice address is Samsonville, Jackson county, Ohio. [SOURCE: History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c; James P. Averill; Hardesty & CO., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882.]
James Franklin King
James Franklin King, widely and favorably known throughout this part of Ohio as a stock dealer and farmer, is a descendant of one of the earliest settlers of the county. His grandfather, Barber King, was a native of Connecticut, and was employed in that State as an iron worker.
He made the acquaintance and courted Irene Schoville, a lady of aristocratic family, whose parents objected to her marriage with a laborer; and the old Connecticut statutes made it a crime for a man to lead a lady to Hymen's altar without her parents' consent. But Cupid has never been easily bound by statutes, and when in earnest always finds a way of evading them. In this instance Miss Schoville rode to her affianced's house, gave him a place behind her on her horse, and rode to a magistrate's office, where they were lawfully married. Mr. King joined the second company of surveyors sent out by the Connecticut Land company in 1797, and while thus employed selected a place for settlement near the present site of Canfield. The following spring he removed with his wife from Connecticut and made an improvement on the lot which had been selected. They lived there two years, then removed to a lot at the present village of Girard. After a residence on this lot of about six years, having made considerable improvement, General Perkins proposed an exchange of one hundred acres in Howland for the lot on which Mr. King lived. After viewing the ground the proposition was accepted, on condition that the center of the one hundred acres should be a certain strong, clear, flowing spring. Beside this spring Mr. King built his house in Howland, and moved into it in June, 1806, on the day of a total eclipse of the sun. The house stood on the ground now occupied by J. F. King's residence. Mr. King was a plain, unambitious farmer. He lived to the age of sixty-nine years. Mrs. King lived to the advanced age of eighty-six years. During the Revolution she was taken prisoner at Wyoming by the Indians and held captive for six months. The family of Barber and Irene King consisted of seven children - Jonathan, James, Samuel, William, Bliss, Anna, and Sarah. Sarah (Mrs. William Brinton) is the only member of the family living. They all settled in Howland township except James, Anna (Mrs. Jabez Bell), and Sarah Brinton.
William King, father of James F. King, was born April 9, 1798, and died October 8, 1866. He was married in 1820 to Mary B. Kennedy, a daughter of Samuel and Jane Kennedy. She was born in 1801, and died January 3, 1869. Mr. King was a man of great energy and progressive ideas; his wife was plain, unassuming and industrious. They were both members of the Presbyterian church and were remarked in their neighborhood for sympathy and kindness in cases of sickness. Their family consisted of four childrenJames F., Irene (deceased), Orvilla (Mrs. William Chamberlain), and Jerusha (Mrs. Charles Hunt). James Franklin, whose portrait appears on an adjoining page in this volume, was born March 12, 1822. He owns and resides on the old homestead of his grandfather and father, and where he was born and raised. He attended the district school and received a fair English education, but it was farm work that mainly occupied his attention. Soon after thoroughbred shorthorn cattle had been introduced into the county, in 1841, by Thomas and Frederick Kinsman, Henry B. Perkins, and the Cowdens of Gustavus, Mr. King saw the opportunity of building up a successful industry. The first importations of cattle had been from New York. Mr. King accompanied Messrs. Kinsman and Perkins to the Bluegrass region in Kentucky in 1850, at which time he made a purchase of short-horns, and has since continued to supply his herds with stock cattle from that region and from southern Ohio. He has for about forty years given close and intelligent attention to the breeding and raising of stock cattle. He keeps on his farm about one hundred head. Of late years Mr. King has been dealing to some extent in thoroughbred Southdown sheep. He has been identified with the Trumbull County Agricultural society as an officer ever since its re-organization in 1846, and for eight years was president. Under his management the annual fairs were made of special interest to the general farmers. He aimed to make the annual exhibitions what they professed to be agricultural fairs. He is a man of good executive talent, being energetic, correct and decided. Mr. King married in 1862 Miss Cornelia J. Andrews, daughter of Samuel and Lorena (Hutchins) Andrews, of Howland township. They have a family of two children. [p. 214, "History of Trumbull and Mahoning Counties...", Vol 2, By H.Z. Williams & Bros - KT - Sub by FoFG]
John G. Marshall
MARSHALL, JOHN G., Soldier and Lawyer, was born, May 3d, 1823, in Trumbull county, Ohio, and is the fourth of six children, whose parents were John and Margaret M. (Grant) Marshall; the latter being a sister of Jesse Grant, an early pioneer of Clermont county, and father of General Ulysses S. Grant, now President of the United States. She was born in Pennsylvania. John Marshall, her husband, was a native of Virginia who settled in Trumbull county at an early day, and who followed through life both agricultural and trading pursuits. John G. Marshall was early trained to industry. From the age of nine until he was fourteen years old he worked in the tannery of his uncle, Jesse Grant, and then entered a printing office, where he learned the mysteries of that art, and worked at this occupation in various parts of Ohio and Kentucky until 1845.
In the latter year he commenced the study of law in Georgetown, Brown county, under the supervision of Grafton B. White and Hamon L. Penn, prominent attorneys of that place. He pursued his studies with great industry and application, and having passed the requisite examination, was admitted to the bar April 1st, 1846. During his first year his receipts were actually less than one dollar; but his practice began to increase, and he has continued to reside in Georgetown until the present time, and has been constantly occupied with professional duties, except when in the service of his country as a soldier in the field. In June, 1847, he joined the 4th Regiment Ohio Volunteers, and accompanied that command to Mexico. He was an active participant in numerous skirmishes and minor engagements in that country. Shortly after his enlistment he was promoted to a Second Lieutenancy in Company G. His term of service was about thirteen months, until the close of the war. In 1862 he was commissioned Colonel of the 89th Regiment of Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served with his command about three months in Kentucky, when he resigned, and returning to Georgetown, resumed the duties of his profession. He was Prosecuting Attorney of Brown county for two years, and a member of the lower branch of the Legislature for a like period. He has, in general, neither sought nor accepted public offices of a political or partisan nature. He was a Whig until the disintegration of that party, and has since co-operated with the Democrats. He was enthusiastic in his admiration of, and in his friendship for, the late Senator Stephen A. Douglas. Religiously his views are not circumscribed by the doctrines of any particular church. He is agreeable, affable, and courteous in manner, and of unimpeachable honesty and integrity. He was married in 1849 to Ann B., sister of Hon. Chilton White, of Cincinnati. She died in 1863. During the following year he was united in marriage to Amanda Jenkins, a native of Brown county, Ohio. [Source: "The Biographical encyclopaedia of Ohio of the nineteenth century", Cincinnati: Galaxy Pub. Co., 1876 - Sub by K. Torp]
Daniel G Maupin
Was born in Albemarle county, Virginia, June 7, 1822, and came to this county in 1869, locating in Crown City, where he is engaged as a physician and druggist. His parents were Ambrose and Lucy (Telman) Maupin, both of whom died in Albermarle county, Virginia, August 15, 1850, and December 3, 1853, respectively. Mr. Maupin has been twice married. His first wife was Margaret C. Johnson, who was born in Trumbull county, Ohio, August 11, 1825, and died September 21, 1863. She was the mother of the following children: Sarah M., born July 24, 1848; Henry K., November 4, 1850; Ambrose T., March 23, 1852; Wesley A., March 25, 1854, died in 1862; Josephine J., March 11, 1856; Lura M., April 1, 1858; Addie M., January 5, 1860; Minie A., March 2, 1862. The second wife is Sarah D. Bickel, who is a native of this county, born September 24, 1841. They were married in Gallia county, February 7, 1865. She is a daughter of Rev. Aaron and Savannah C. (Portr) Bickel. She is mother of the following children: Artie F., born May 8, 1866; William A., October 7, 1868; Carrie B., June 8, 1871, died September 15, 1873; Clinton M., August 29, 1874; Lucy, December 4, 1877; Lucilla, May 26, 1880. Mr. Maupin was a member of the legislature of Missouri from Calaway county, Missouri, in the years 860 and 1861; and he also represented Lincoln county, West Virginia, in the legislature in 1868. He was appointed postmaster of Scottown, Lawrence county, Ohio. He is of French descent, who settled in Virginia at an early date, enduring many privations. His grandparents were Zackrin and Elizabeth (Gorman) Maupin. They died about sixty years ago. The postoffice address of Dr. Maupin is Crown City, Gallia county, Ohio. [SOURCE: History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c; James P. Averill; Hardesty & CO., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882.]
William H. McGuffey
The name of Dr. McGuffey has been made familiar to hundreds of thousands, perhaps to millions of people by the series of school readers that he compiled. Probably no other series of books ever published has had a wider or more wholesome influence. Yet, strange to say, the history and character of Dr. McGuffey himself are but little known.
He was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, September 23, 1800. While he was still a child his parents removed to Trumbull county, Ohio. No data concerning his early life are available, but the conditions in Ohio at that time and the fact that he was nearly twenty-six years old when he graduated from college, seem to justify the inference that his youth was spent in labor, probably on a farm, and that be prepared for his college course mainly after he was twenty-one years of age. To complete his education he returned to his native county and entered Washington College at Washington, Pennsylvania. He always accounted it one of the fortunate events of his life that he here came under the influence of Dr. Andrew Wylie, the president. President Wylie took an interest in him and befriended him; but it was Dr. Wylie's force and independence of mind and elevation of character which most deeply impressed him.
It appears that his college course was interrupted for a year, during which he taught school at Paris, Kentucky. While he was teaching in Kentucky, he became known to Dr. Bishop, the president of Miami University at Oxford, Ohio and so favorable was the opinion of him which Dr. Bishop formed that in March. 1820, before he had received his baccalaureate degree, he was elected professor of ancient languages at Miami University. That institution had been in existence less than two years, but it had already gathered a few strong men in its faculty and a few students of more than ordinary minds. But Dr. McGuffey, young as he was, at once took rank as one of the best of its teachers and won the admiration and homage of its students. In 1832 he was transferred to the chair of mental philosophy, which he retained for four years. With no preparation except that which he received at the hands of President Wylie during his undergraduate course, and. possibly, some private reading during the subsequent six years, he assumed the duties of instructor in one of the widest and profoundest departments of human thought. In our day the value of special training and extensive courses as a preparation for teaching elementary students is greatly overrated. For beginning, a teacher's best equipment is simplicity and directness of thought, clearness of statement, and aptness in illustration. These qualities. Professor McGuffey possessed in an unusual degree. At that time, and for several years at least, he adhered to the Scottish philosophy. Brown being his chosen author in psychology and ethics. But he read widely and critically and thought for himself; so that his class-work was always fresh and stimulating. His ablest students, no matter what distinction they attained in later life, never outgrew the conviction that he was an able teacher. On the contrary, their subsequent growth only led them to place a higher estimate on his ability.
In 1829 he was licensed as a preacher in the Presbyterian Church and from that time became a public speaker. The uniform testimony is that in the pulpit and on the platform he was singularly effective. Perfectly unassuming in manner, he was so clear in thought, so simple in language, so attractive in manner, that the crowds which gathered to hear him were held, sometimes enchained, by the charm of his discourse. He spoke extempore, and with the directness, freedom, and warmth of elevated conversation.
While at Miami University, in addition to his labors in teaching and preaching he collected and arranged the material for his series of Eclectic Readers. To an ordinary worker it is a marvel that he could have found time to examine so wide a range of sources as the selection of lessons suitable for his purpose must have involved, and that he could have adjusted his mind to a task so much at variance with his vocation. If he began with the first of the series and proceeded in regular order, he did most of this extra and diverse labor after his transfer to the department of philosophy and while he was taxed to make himself familiar with difficult subjects which he had never taught. For it was early in 1833 that he employed B. W. Chidlaw, then a student, to copy the manuscript of the printer. Only a mind of remarkable flexibility and remarkable capacity for work could have achieved such a task under the conditions. [The sketch of his brother, A. H. McGuffey, is an instructive note at that point. Editor.]
He resigned his position in Miami University in 1836 to accept the presidency of Cincinnati College. This institution was without endowment, but it was thought that its location in the principal city of the west and the influence of Dr. Daniel Drake and those whom he had interested in the college, gave promise of its success. President McGuffey took hold of the enterprise with his customary zeal and efficiency. That he produced a strong impression on the public is evident. There is a tradition that during one course of lectures which he delivered the numbers who wanted to hear him were so great that some requested permission to cut a hole through the ceiling of the room in which he spoke, so that they might hear him from the room overhead.
It was during his connection with Cincinnati College that he completed an arrangement with Winthrop B. Smith to publish the Eclectic Readers.
He remained here but three years, having been elected in 1839 to the presidency of the Ohio University at Athens. He was now at the zenith of his powers. He brought to his new position a mature and experienced mind, scholarship of a high order, a wide reputation both as a teacher and as an administrator, and an exceptional power to influence men.
By his students at Athens he was soon regarded as a great man. Nearly all of them, perhaps all, are now dead; but they carried to the end of their lives a profound respect for his ability and character. One of them, Rev. E. P. Pratt, D. D., of Portsmouth, Ohio, in a brief article written just after Dr. Mc. Guffey's death, said: "In 1839 I returned to Athens, where he was commencing his career as president, and reviewed with him mental and moral science. He was a master in his department. In this branch (mental philosophy) I never saw his equal. He was an enthusiast in it, and he communicated much of his enthusiasm to his pupils. They loved him, and yet reverenced him as a father."
He soon was recognized here also as a popular public speaker. His sermons and lectures were remembered and mentioned with appreciation by citizens of Athens for many years after he had left the University.
As was to be expected, the University began a vigorous growth under his administration. Its attendance increased, its work became more vital, and its hold upon the public mind was greatly strengthened. But this rising prosperity was overshadowed by a dark cloud. The law establishing the university provided for a reappraisement of the leasehold lands which constituted its endowment, and which comprised the township in which it is located and the township immediately south of it. The date fixed for the first reappraisement arrived about the time of Dr. McGuffey's accession to the presidency. The lessees were bitterly opposed to any increase in the valuation of the lands; but under Dr. McGuffey's leadership the trustees of the University proceeded to the performance of their duty. An injunction was sought by the lessees and the case was carried to the Supreme Court of the State. The decision of the Court was in favor of the University. But the feeling of hostility on the part of the lessees only grew more intense. Violence was threatened. President McGuffey was denounced and maligned, and at length the rage of the people became so great that they burned him in effigy.
He bore all this with quiet dignity and without any surrender or abatement of the rightful claims of the institution. But the lessees, foiled in their attempt to obtain relief from the courts, appealed to the legislature, with the result that a law was passed assuming to annul the decision of the courts and to prevent a reappraisement of the lands. This action of the legislature seemed to Dr. McGuffey to seal the fate of the university, and seeing no prospect of an increase of its scanty revenues, he immediately resigned. The act was passed on the 10th of March, 1843, and he retired at the close of that academic year. The university was suspended and remained so for five years.
Dr. McGuffey returned to Cincinnati, where he taught for the next two years in Woodward High School. His service to education was not confined, however, to his duties in the school room. He was an active and earnest champion of the public school system. He had co-operated with Samuel Lewis and others in securing the adoption of the system by the state, and he continued to use his influence to promote the organization of schools under the law.
At the end of the second year in Woodward High School. Dr. McGuffey was elected professor of moral philosophy in the University of Virginia, which became the scene of his last and longest period of service. He gave to that service his ripest scholarship and his accumulated power as a teacher and as a man. The same results followed that had marked his work at Oxford, at Athens, and at Cincinnati.
Professor Noah K. Davis, his successor in the chair of philosophy at that institution writes of him: "He impressed his students as a broad thinker, inspiring teacher, and brilliant lecturer: and their esteem is warmed by an affectionate remembrance of his genial and sympathetic character." He continued, also, to preach, and he exerted a strong religious influence in the university and surrounding community. Professor A. D. Hepburn of Miami University states that one of his first acts after entering on his professorship at the University of Virginia was to make a tour of the state advocating the introduction of the public school system. This was probably the first appeal of this kind ever made in that state, and there was but a feeble response. But twenty-five years later, Dr. McGuffey had the satisfaction of seeing one of his own friends and former students, Mr. W. H. Ruffner, made the first public school superintendent of the state. Professor Hepburn expresses the opinion that Dr. McGuffey is fairly entitled to be regarded as the pioneer of the public school system in Virginia.
Dr. McGuffey remained at the University of Virginia till his death at Charlottesville, May 4, 1873.
In his vocation he held a double mastery. He was master of that which he taught and of those whom he taught. "He taught as one having authority." For almost half a century successive classes of students passed under his molding influence, and by them that influence has been borne into thousands of school rooms and sick rooms and court rooms, into pulpits, into the marts of trade, and into the halls of legislation; so that multitudes who never heard his voice or saw his face have unconsciously felt his power.
Besides these, there are other multitudes who have known him only through the readers which he compiled and which they conned day after day through all the years of their school life.
The child who began his school life in Ohio sixty years ago lacked many of the advantages that are possessed by the pupils of the present day: but he had the benefit of one noble and quickening power that has not been surpassed by all the boasted progress of later years. Whenever he opened his school reader and perused the lessons which this wise friend of childhood and youth had set for him. He drank from a pure and deep fountain which often became in him a well of living water. And when he came to manhood he brought to the function of living a larger conception of the meaning of life and a deeper sense of life's responsibility, because of the lessons of wisdom and morals that he learned in his Eclectic Readers. All over the West and South are men and women whose testimony would be that among the helpful agencies of their school days there was none no book, no fellow-pupil, no teacher whose influence was more gracious and beneficent, and none that now holds a more hallowed place in their memory than McGuffey's Eclectic Readers. William Henry Scott. [Source: "Educational History of Ohio" by James J. Burns. Published 1905) Transcribed by Millie Mowry]
Jesse D Olmsted
Jesse D Olmsted and Leanna Bemiss were married in Allen county, Ohio, April 12, 1857. He was born in Trumbull county, Ohio, April 9, 1833, and his wife in Allen county, September 29, 1839. His parents are George and Chloe (Doud) Olmsted, both of whom are deceased. Mrs. Olmsted is a daughter of Horatio and Louisa (Thayer) Bemiss, both of whom are deceased. The following are the children of Mr. and Mrs. Olmsted: Stephen H., born February 6, 1858, resides in Gallipolis; Cassius C., September 15, 1860, resides in Guernsey county, Ohio; Effie L., deceased; Eleanor C., January 11, 1864, resides in Gallipolis; James E., January 9, 1868, resides in Gallipolis; John A., November 13, 1876, resides in Gallipolis. Mr. Olmsted was postmaster at Beaver Dam, Ohio, under President Grant's administration. Mr. Olmsted was a soldier in the late war, serving in the 151st Ohio National Guard; was a sergeant in the Company E, serving 120 days, and was honorably discharged. Mr. Olmsted is one of the publishers of the Gallia Tribune, the firm name being J. D. & S. H. Olmsted. The subject of this sketch settled in this county in 1882. His brother James M., was in the volunteer service in the late war, and died at Knoxville, Tennessee, in 1864. Mr. Olmsted is a regularly ordained pastor of the Disciple church, and held orders for last fifteen years. His postoffice address is Gallipolis, Gallia county, Ohio. [SOURCE: History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c; James P. Averill; Hardesty & CO., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882.]
Gilbert Palmer, of Stonington, Conn., married Sally Herrick in 1809; moved to Kinsman, Trumbull Co., Ohio, died 26 September, 1871, in Vernon, Ohio, to which place he moved about 1831. Had children: Henry, born 5 July, 1810, in Stonington; Richard Sands, born 27 September, 1813; Sally, 29 October, 1817; Henrietta, 5 February, 1819; Mary R., 29 July, 1828, in Kinsman, Ohio; Ephriam, born 14 July, 1827, and Harriet, born 27 May, 1834, in Vernon, Ohio. [Source: "Genealogy: A Journal of American Ancestry", Volumes 6-7, 1916-1917; Edited by William Montgomery Clemens, 1916-1917 ]
Among the surviving pioneers of Trumbull county few are more deserving a place in this history than Judge Ratliff. He was born in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, December 17, 1799. His grandparents came to this country from England, but at what date is not known. His father was John Ratliff, and his mother Mary Vandyke, both of whom were natives of Delaware, where they lived until about the year 1798. They moved to Westmoreland county and thence to Beaver county in 1801, near the Pennsylvania and Ohio State line. On the 1st day of April, 1811, his parents removed to Trumbull county, Ohio, arriving at their destination in the northwest part of Howland township on the 3d day of the same month. There the subject of this sketch grew to manhood, surrounded by all the difficulties attending a pioneer settlement. In 1818 he married Elizabeth Wilson, daughter of Robert and Elizabeth (Hyde) Wilson, who were natives of Ireland but came to this country when quite young. In April 1821, he was elected township clerk of Howland and served in that capacity for a period of eighteen years. About the year 1823 there was a regiment of volunteer riflemen organized in Trumbull county. The township of Howland raised a company of about eighty men, who were uniformed and equipped with good rifles. At the first election of officers Richard L. Seeley was chosen captain but was afterwards promoted and Judge Ratliff was elected captain, serving seven or eight years, shortly after which the regiment was disbanded. About the year 1839 he was elected justice of the peace and served in that capacity six years, when, in 1845, he was elected one of the associated judges of the common pleas court of Trumbull county, which office he filled with ability until the change in the State constitution in 1851. His associates on the bench were Edward Spear, of Warren, and Asa Haines, of Vernon, the presiding judge being Hon. Benjamin F. Wade. September 1, 1844, Judge Ratliff became a member of the Disciples church of Warren, and in the following year was elected by the congregation one of the overseers of the church and officiated in that capacity till about 1870, when he was released from the duties of the office on account of his age. May 3, 1855, the Disciples church in Warren became an organized body under the laws of Ohio for the incorporation of churches and he was elected one of the trustees and still holds such office. He is the father of seven children. Two died in infancy. The others are as follow: Isaac, now living in Howand; Robert Wm. of Warren; Ann (deceased), wife of Josiah Soule; Mary (deceased), wife of Henry Hoagland; and Lydia Maria, wife of Daniel L. Jones, of Warren, with whom the subect of this sketch makes his home. Mrs. Ratliff died in Warren March 16, 1875, aged seventy-seven. Judge Ratliff's occupation through life has been that of farming. He has been unusually blessed with good health, and, possessing a naturally vigorous constitution, he is to-day, notwithstanding his advanced age, a hale and hearty old gentleman. At this writing (March 17, 1882) he is eighty-two years and three months old. (Source: History of Trumbull & Mahoning Counties, with Illustrations & Biographical Sketches - Vol. II - Cleveland - H. Z. Williams & Bro. - 1882 - Sub by KT)
William Tate and Nancy B. Tenney was married in Cheshire township June 13, 1858. He was born in Venango county, Pennsylvania, October 9, 1835. His wife was born in Trumbull county, Ohio, January 23, 1835. The parents of Mr. Tate are David and Letitia (McLahaney) Tate. His father was born May 6, 1799, and his mother June 15, 1802. Jonathan and Sarah K. (Yemmons) Tenney are the parents of Mrs. Tate. They settled in this county in 1841. Her father was born in 1801, and her mother in 1798. Mr. Tate has held the office of township clerk for six years, at intervals, and is at present filling the office. He is also an operator in coal, and is a farmer. James C. Tate, a brother of William, served in the war of the rebellion. The children of Mr. Tate are as follows: Celia M., born March 26, 1859, resides in Cheshire; Joseph, December 8, 1860, died December 20, 1860; Luny M., June 27, 1862, died July 20, 1873; Wallace, December 13, 1863, resided at home; Laura, June 1, 1867, resided at home; Harry, October 10, 1873, resided at home. Mr. Tate came to this county in 1839. His postoffice address is Kyger, Gallia county, Ohio. [SOURCE: History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c; James P. Averill; Hardesty & CO., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882.]
Edwin J. Williams
Edwin J. Williams, financier and the president of the Wilson County Bank, was born in Trumbull county, Ohio, Nov. 8, 1868, the son of D. T. and Mary T. ( Davis ) Williams. His grandfather was a native of Wales, where he lived and died. D. T. Williams was born in Wales, but came to America and located in Ohio, where he became interested in rolling mills. He belonged to the Ohio state militia, but never was called on to carry arms in defense of his adopted country. He died in Ohio in 1895. Edwin Williams' maternal grandfather, David R. Davis, came to Kansas in 1872 and built a rolling mill at Rosedale that year, becoming one of the pioneer manufacturers of the state.
Edwin Williams was reared in Ohio and received his education in the public schools. In 1900 he came to Kansas, located at Waverly and engaged in the mercantile business but soon moved to Salina where he remained three and a half years. He went to Quenemo in 1905 to accept the position of vice-president of the Farmers' State Bank. Mr. Williams was successful as a banker and decided to organize a bank in which he would hold the controlling interest. With this end in view he located at Burlingame and organized the Burlingame National Bank, of which he was president. It is capitalized at $25,000 and has a surplus of $10,000. Ever since its organization the bank has conducted a flourishing business, which reflects great credit upon the promoters and it is regarded as one of the most substantial banking concerns in the eastern part of the state.
On Jan. 31, 1900, Mr. Williams married Ina, the daughter of Louis Gephart. Mr. Gephart is a native of Ohio, who came to Kansas in 1888; took up land and also conducted a mercantile house. At different times Mr. Gephart bought more land and has made a fortune. He is one of the stockholders of the Burlingame National Bank and has a number of fine farms. He has retired from active business and spends his time looking after his property. One child has been born to Mr. and Mrs. Williams, Louis Edwin, who is four years old (1911). Mr. Williams is a Mason, belonging to Knight Templar Lodge No. 5, of Topeka, Kan. ; he also belongs to the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and is a stanch supporter of the Republican party. The family are members of the Presbyterian church.
In February, 1911, Mr. Williams sold the controlling interest in the Burlingame National Bank and after spending the summer in California, returned to Kansas, located at Fredonia, bought a large interest in the Wilson County Bank and became its president, which position he now holds. The Wilson County Bank is one of the strongest financial institutions in the state, having done business since its organization in 1871. Its capital, surplus and profits are $75,000. ["Kansas Biography", Vol. III, Part 2, 1912 - p. 998-999 - PT - Sub by FoFG]