John Affolter, manufacturer of bricks Beaver Dam road, near New Philadelphia, Goshen Township, was born in the Canton of Berne, Switzerland, December 27. 1841.He is a son of.Stephen and Elizabeth Affolter. both natives of Switzerland, and was reared In his native land, there learning the stone mason's trade, at which he worked many yeas. In 1866, he came to America, living one year at Pilttsburgh, Penn. He then came to New Philadelphia, this county, and worked at his trade till the fall 1882. when be accepted the position as manager of the brick-yard for T B. Townsend, of Zanesville, Ohio He has lately leased the yard and operates it himself. Some 5,000 brick are molded per day, and about fifteen men and boys are employed about the yard. The bricks are sold to the county for the court house, also private parties in and about New Philadelphia In 1877, Mr. Affolter bought eight acres of land on the Beaver Dam, road, near the city, part of which is the brick-yard. He was married, April 4, 1872 to Anna Rentz. a native of Switzerland. They have six children—John, Charlie, Frank, Ella. Herman and an infant daughter. Mr. Affolter and family are members of the German Lutheran Church New Philadelphia. [Source: "History of Tuscarawas County"; Warner Beers & Company, 1884 - BZ - sub by FoFG]
George Arnold, a prominent farmer of Goshen Township, was born in Jefferson County, Ohio, October 15, 1818. His father John Arnold, was a native of Ireland, and a resident of Jefferson County, Ohio for many years. He finally removed to Morgan County, Ohio, where he died about twenty years ago. He married Elizabeth Hume, also a native of Ireland, who died about 1842. They were the parents of twelve children- five sons and seven daughters- five of whom are living, our subject and four sisters. One brother Robert Arnold was a prominent physician of New Philadelphia for some years, but is now deceased. George Arnold was reared in Jefferson County, Ohio and when twenty-four years of age went to Iowa, where he remained four years. He then came to this county and first bought a farm of eighty acres in Union Township, but sold it soon after and purchased 100 acres of his present far,. He now owns 226 acres, 190 of which are under cultivation. Mr. Arnold is a Democrat; has been Trustee of Goshen Township, also Director of School District No. 2 for twelve years. He was married, March 17, 1838, to Nancy Neel, a native of Jefferson County, Ohio. Of their eight children, five are now living - John, married Mary Parry, and resides in New Philadelphia; Adeline, wife of Oliver Junkins, a farmer of Fairfield Township; Kirkwood, married Caroline Wills, and resides on the home farm; Caroline, wife of George Craig, a hotel-keeper of Dresden, Ohio; and Elzira. [Source: "History of Tuscarawas County"; Warner Beers & Company, 1884 - BZ - sub by FoFG]
Alex Bartholomew, proprietor of the Union Hotel, Pike Run Goshen Township, was born in Harrison County, Ohio, December 24, 1829. His father John Bartholomew, was a native of Germany, and came to America when sixteen years of age. About 1836, he came to Tuscarawas County, and located a farm on Beaver Dam. He lived there some years and subsequently removed to Hancock County, Ohio, where he died in 1856. He married Rebecca Smith, also a native of Harrison County, Ohio, who died shortly after their removal to this county. She was the mother of four children, three living; one son John, enlisted in the Union Army and was killed in some battle. After Mrs. Bartholomew's death, our subject and a brother went to work on a farm, and the former lived with strangers for over twenty years. He finally bought fifty acres of land in Union Township, where he resided for twenty-eight years. In 1881, he located in Pike Run and erected the Union Hotel, where he enjoys a fair run of custom. The farm is leased to a tenant. Mr. Bartholomew is Republican in politics, was Trustee of Union Township two years, Supervisor six years, and has held the latter position in the township for one year; was a member of Union Township Board of Education nine years and School Director for fifteen years. He was married February 12, 1854 to Prova A. Salmon, a native of Union Township. They have had ten children, eight living- Harriet N., Levina J Sherman, Cora B. John, S. Emma, Charles H. and Minnie A. Mr. and Mrs. Bartholomew are members of the Rockford Methodist Episcopal Church. [Source: "History of Tuscarawas County"; Warner Beers & Company, 1884 - BZ - sub by FoFG]
J. P. BARTLES, of J. P. Bartles & Son, manufacturers of carriages and wagons, New Philadelphia, was born in Hunterdon County, N. J., September 19, 1818. His father, Frederick Bartles, was a native of New Germantown, N. J., and by trade a carpenter. He came to Ohio about 1835, and was among the pioneers of Licking County, locating near Newark. He subsequently removed to St. Louis, Mo., where he died about twenty years ago. He married Elizabeth Williams, also a native of Hunterdon County, N. J. They had six children, five of whom are living. Mrs. Bartles died about the year 1832. Our subject was reared in his native State, and there learned the carriage-maker's trade. He came to New Philadelphia in 1846, and was the first carriage-maker in the village (there being at that period only three or four buggies in this vicinity), and has since continued in the business. He has met with some misfortunes, but, taking everything into consideration, his success has been good. His son Charles became a partner about six years ago. Mr. Bartles is a member of the English Lutheran Church, and one of its officers. He was married, in 1844, to Caroline, daughter of Abraham and Mary Sharp, of German Valley, N. J. Of their five children, only one survives — Charles; he was born in this city May 30, 1853, and has been engaged in his present business since boyhood. He married Martha R. Blickensderfer. daughter of Simon Blickensderfer (deceased). They have three living children—Edna M., Helen and Charles LeRoy ; one daughter, Josie, is dead. [Source: "History of Tuscarawas County.."; Warner Beers & Company, 1884 - KT - sub by FoFG]
A. BATES, banker, New Philadelphia, was born in West Hartland, Conn., in 1820. His father, Stephen Bates, was a native of the same State, and a farmer by occupation. He married Matilda Beach, who was the mother of twelve children, eight now living, and two in this county—Elias Bates, of Dover, Ohio, and our subject. The latter lived in Connecticut till eighteen years of age; then, in 1838, came to Dover, Ohio, and the year following located at Shanesville, in Sugar Creek Township, where he was engaged in mercantile pursuits for over twenty-five years. In the spring of 1864, he removed to New Philadelphia, and for a year was engaged in the produce business. He then established the Exchange Bank, and has since conducted it with marked success. Mr. Bates is a member of both the IOOF Lodge and Encampment of New Philadelphia. Previous to the war, he was Democratic in politics, but since then has been independent on political questions. He was united in marriage, in October, 1840, to Prudence Hall, a native of Winsted, Conn., and daughter of Reuben and Esther Hall. Of the eight children given to this union, five are living, and four residents of this county. [Source: "History of Tuscarawas County.."; Warner Beers & Company, 1884 - KT - sub by FoFG]
J. B. BEANS, of Beans Bros., merchants, Pike Run, was born in Union Township, this county, May 4, 1852. His father, Isaiah Beans, was a native of Culpeper County, Va., and a farmer by occupation. He removed his family to Somerset, Jefferson Co., Ohio, where he died in March, 1852. He married Annie Hawkins, also a native of the Old Dominion. They were the parents of seven children, six living, and all residents of this county. After her husband's death, Mrs. Beans removed to Union Township, this county, but now resides with our subject. The latter was reared at or near New Cumberland, Warren Township, and in early life engaged in farming. When twenty-one or twenty-two years of age, he engaged in mining, at which he worked some years, with good success. In 1876, he located at Pike Run, and four years later established himself in the mercantile business. Some time after, the firm of Beans Bros, was established, and their success has far exceeded their most sanguine expectations. Mr. Beans is a member of the United Brethren Church of Pike Run, and Secretary of its Sunday school. He is Republican in politics, and served one year as Constable of Goshen Township. He was married, December 3, 1876, to Mary A. Marty, a native of Union Township. They have three children — William E., Roy Mc. and Anna D. Mr. Beans is also connected with the U. B. Church. [Source: "History of Tuscarawas County..."; Warner Beers & Company, 1884 - KT - sub by FoFG]
WILLIAM BORELAND, farmer, north of the village of Pike Run, P. O. Barnhill, was born in North Township, Harrison Co., Ohio, January 12, 1821, and is a son of Samuel Boreland, a native of Westmoreland County, Penn., of Irish descent, who came to Harrison County, Ohio, about the year 1817, and was a farmer by occupation. He died September 11, 1862, aged seventy-seven years and four months. He was married to Mary Little, a native of Maryland. They had five children, all living, of whom our subject is the oldest, and three are residents of this county. Our subject's mother died when he was about four years of age. William was reared on the farm in Harrison County, and lived there till the death of his father in 1862, in which year he moved on the farm (which he had purchased three years previously) and rebuilt the house. Mr. Boreland owns 109 acres of land, having purchased eighty-five acres at first, and subsequently twenty-four acres. In politics, he is a Republican. [Source: "History of Tuscarawas County..."; Warner Beers & Company, 1884 - KT - sub by FoFG]
A. L. BOURQUIN (deceased) was born at L'Auovresse, Canton of Berne, Switzerland, August 20, 1809. He was there reared, and when twenty-eight years of age came to America. He had learned the blacksmith trade in his native land, thoroughly understood machinery, and first located at Mount Eaton, Wayne Co., Ohio. He afterward worked at Zoar, in this county, and St. Louis, Mo., for some time, and in 1842 came back to this county and bought 100 acres of land in this township. He located thereon and engaged in farming till his death. He subsequently added 267 acres to his first purchase, and also bought ninety-seven acres near Rockford, Union Township. He died of abscess of the stomach and liver, April 21, 1879, aged sixty-nine years and eight months. He was reared in the German Reformed denomination, and was a member of the church at New Philadelphia. He was formerly a Whig in politics, but subsequently became a Republican. Mr. Bourquin was married at Mount Eaton, Ohio, in 1841, to Mary A. Bichnof, a native of France. They were the parents of nine children, only three living—Adellie, residing in Shelby County, Ill.; Edward, residing in Tuscarawas County, Ohio; and Abram, residing in Montgomery County, Ill. Mrs. Bourquin died in 1857, and both are buried in the cemetery at New Philadelphia. Edward, the sixth child and third son of these parents, was born on the old homestead October 31, 1851. He obtained a good common school education, and remained with his parents until the fall of 1876, when he went to Christian County, Ill. In February, 1879, he returned home and has since resided here. He inherited one-half of the home farm and purchased the remaining half from the other heirs. His land is mostly on the "plains," and the greater part is under cultivation. Mr. Bourquin is a member of New Philadelphia Lodge, No. 177 (Masonic) and votes with the Republican party. He was never an office-holder. He was marriedm October 22, 1873, to Mary, daughter of Henry Mosher, of this township. Of the four children given them, three are living — Charlie A., Alvin L. and Nellie M. Mrs. Bourquin is a member of the Plains Methodist Episcopal Church, of this township (Goshen Twp) [Source: "History of Tuscarawas County..."; Warner Beers & Company, 1884 - KT - sub by FoFG]
RUFUS GASKILL was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, August 14, 1837, one of five children born to Thomas and Lucinda (Duling) Gaskill - he a native of New York, who removed to the Buckeye State with his parents when three years old; she a native of Virginia. They were married June 28, 1836. In 1846, they settled in Owen County, and in 1861 came to Greene County. They were both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mrs. Gaskill died March 17, 1881. Our subject received but an ordinary education, being engaged from childhood at work upon the farm, and has followed farming all his life. He owns 235 acres of good land, all improved, and raises some stock. December 23, 1860, he married Mary E. Wood, who has borne him two children—Ludilla O., born November 26, 1862, and John A., bore November 8, 1866. Mrs. Gaskill was born November 10, 1844, in Owen County, Ind., one of three children born to David A. and Elizabeth (Leach) Wood, pioneers of Indiana. Her parents died when she was quite young. Subject and family are all- members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he is a Republican in politics. [Source: History of Greene and Sullivan Counties, state of Indiana: from the earliest time to the present, together with interesting biographical sketches, reminiscences, notes, etc. Chicago: Goodspeed Bros. & Co., 1884]
John H. Ream
John H. Ream is a native of Shanesville, Tuscarawas County, Ohio, and the eldest son of William and Harriet A. (Shultz) Ream, natives of Pennsylvania, who are of German descent, and came to Miami County in 1847 and located in Peru, the former being a blacksmith by trade. John H. was born December 10, 1838, and in 1853 commenced learning the trade of harness-making under J. M. Stutesman, serving an apprenticeship of nearly three years. Not being satisfied with his chosen vocation he secured the position of "news-butcher" on the railroad which he retained for some time, after which he worked in many departments of railroad service, and was finally promoted to that of Master of Transportation of the Grand Rapids and Indiana R. R. (northern division) in which he was retained for about three years, with headquarters at Grand Rapids, Mich., In the year 1877, with Thomas, a brother, he engaged in the grocery and bakery business, and afterwards purchased his brother's interest in July 1886. In April, 1861, he entered the service of his country in the 13th Indiana Regiment, Volunteer Infantry, and was mustered out July 2, 1864, as Sergeant, having then served over three years in this noble cause. He was wounded at the battle of the Deserted Farm, near Suffolk, Virginia. In 1865 he reentered the service as Captain of Company H., of the 151st Indiana Volunteer Infantry, at the re-organization of that regimeut, and continued until the close of the war or until the disbanding of the troops. Mr. Ream's marriage to Miss Lottie C. Covelle, of Grand Rapids, Michigan, was solemnized February 21, 1873, and to them one child—Anna M.—was born. Politically he is a Republican. He is also prominently identified with the Grand Army of the Republic, Masonic Fraternity, and Royal Arcanum, in all of which he is a highly respected and much esteemed member. He conducts, at present, the leading grocery and bakery business of Peru. [Source: "History of Miami County, Indiana: From the Earliest Time to the Present ..." Brant & Fuller, 1887 - BZ - sub by FoFG]
Martin L. Shanks, M.D.
The medical profession is ably represented by Dr. Shanks, of Casselton, Cass county, North Dakota. He is one of the pioneer physicians and surgeons of North Dakota and his life and labors there have been crowned with success. He is known throughout the Northwest as a skilled practitioner and one who progresses as time moves all things forward and he enjoys an ever increasing patronage and the confidence of the people among whom he labors.
Our subject was born in Port Washington, Tuscarawas county, Ohio, November 1, 1848, and was a family of eleven children, five sons and six daughters, born to David and Catherine (Barrick) Shanks, natives, respectively, of Ohio and Pennsylvania. His father was a farmer by occupation and passed his career in Ohio, most of the time in Huron county. He died in 1885 and the mother in 1888. The grandfather of our subject, James Shanks, was a native of Scotland and came to the United States about 1792, and died in Ohio. He was a tanner by trade and conducted a tannery at Mansfield, Ohio.
Our subject was reared and educated in his native state, graduating from there in 1870. He enlisted, in July, 1863, in Company M, First Ohio Heavy Artillery, and served until August 3, 1865, and participated in the following engagements: Strawberry Plains, Tennessee; raid up the Tennessee river; London, Tennessee, with Hood; and following that with Morgan cavalry near there; Salsbury, North Carolina; French Broad river, and finally at Nashville, where he was held as reserve. After his return from the war he completed his studies, and then, in 1870, began teaching school and also read medicine and clerked in a drug store at Clyde, Ohio. He attended lectures at Columbus, Ohio, Medical College, in 1875-1876 and graduated from that institution in 1882. He had practiced some since 1877 at New Castle, Pennsylvania, and in 1886 entered Rush Medical College and attended one course of lectures and in 1891 attended a course at the College of Physicians & Surgeons of New York. He made an extended tour through Europe in 1892, in the interests of his profession and visited the leading hospitals of England, Germany, France, Italy and Switzerland. He went to Yankton, North Dakota, in 1878, and after a short stay located at Casselton, in January, 1878, where he has since resided and has continued in the practice of medicine and surgery. When he located there he was the only physician between Fargo and Bismarck and he experienced many hardships during the early days of that region. He has followed the modern methods of his profession by attending lectures every two years in various parts of the country, is progressive in his work and conscientious as a practitioner. He is devoted entirely to his work and in 1899 established a hospital containing fourteen beds at Casselton. He is the owner of one of the finest business blocks in the city of Casselton and enjoys prosperity.
Our subject was married, in November, 1879, to Miss Laura A. Lean, a native of England. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Shanks, as follows: Markwell, Clytie and Vallow. Mr. Shanks is prominent in secret society circles and holds membership in the Masonic fraternity, Knights Templar and Mystic Shrine; Independent Order of Odd Fellows; Knights of Pythias; Fraternal Union and Ancient Order of Foresters. He has been county physician for the past two years for the district in which he resides and is one of the best known men of the state. He is a member of the Cass County Medical Society and the State Medical Society. Politically, he is a Republican, but does not take an active part in political affairs. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
Captain William Wallick
The gentleman whose name introduces this sketch was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, November 4, 1832, the eldest son of Benjamin and Elizabeth (Shalter) Wallick, of the same State. The paternal grandfather, Benjamin Wallick, senior, was a native of Pennsylvania and an early settler of Tuscarawas County, where he lived until his removal to Miami County, Indiana, in the winter of 1840. He died in this county about the year 1855-6. Benjamin Wallick, junior, father of William, was born in Tuscarawas County, and in early life worked at the carpenter's trade. He came to Indiana in 1840, and locating in Peru worked at his trade for a time, and then erected a planing mill on Little Pipe Creek, a short distance southwest of the city, which he operated with good success for a number of years. He died in 1883. Elizabeth Wallick was also a native of Ohio, and departed this life in Miami County, Indiana, in the year 1881. Mr. and Mrs. Wallick had a family of six children whose names are as follows, to-wit: William, the subject of the biography; Joseph (deceased), James M. (deceased), John W., Charles F. and Emma, wife of Jackson Ewing, Esq. William Wallick grew to manhood in Miami County moving here with his parents in 1840, when but eight years of age. His early educational advantages were limited, attending only the county district schools irregularly until his seventeenth year. During this period his time when out of school was spent at farm labor, but at the age of eighteen he abandoned agricultural pursuits and began the carpenter's trade. He was thus engaged till the fall of 1861, when the drum and fife (music still familiar to his ears) was heard throughout the North, calling the friends of the Federal Union to organize and rally in its support. The loyal sons of Indiana responded nobly to that call and early took steps to the music for the Union. Among them William Wallick was found on the muster roll of Company G., 51st Regiment Volunteer Infantry, which company he was largely instrumental in organizing. He enlisted on the 8th day of October, 1861, entering the service as Second Lieutenant, and with his regiment soon after proceeded to the front, where in a number of the bloodiest battle of the war he bore an active and conspicuous part. The 51st was attached to the 4th Army Corps, Army of the Cumberland, and in common with other regiments that participated in the southwestern campaigns suffered extreme hardships and endurance. Among the most important battles in which Captain Wallick was engaged were Murfreesboro, Nashville, Shiloh, Franklin, besides lesser engagements, in all about twenty-nine. At an encounter near Rome, Georgia, on the 8th of May, 1863, the entire command to which the 51st belonged was captured, and the prisoners first taken to Rome and later to Atlanta. Captain Wallick with many of his comrades were subsequently incarcerated in the Libby Prison at Richmond, Virginia, where for a period of nine months, exposed to all the hardships and horrors of that notorious pen, he lived with the one object in view—that of regaining his liberty. Among the many thrilling experiences of the Captain's prison life was that, when with seventy other unfortunate comrades he was obliged to take his chances in drawing lots to determine which two of their number should be executed in retaliation for the death of a couple of Confederate officers captured and hanged by General Burn side He, with twenty-four others, among whom was Col. A. D. Streight, of Indianapolis, all sworn to secrecy on penalty of death, matured and finally succeeded, in carrying into successful effect a plan of escape by excavating a tunnel under the prison walls. Through this aperture one hundred and nine persons made their escape, fifty-seven of whom were recaptured and taken back. The Captain, in common with those who succeeded in reaching the Union lines, narrates with thrilling interest the many adventures he encountered during the two days and nights spent in making his way to Williamsburgh, Virginia, the nearest available point in possession of the Federal forces. To escape observation he was compelled to secrete himself during the day in swamps, thickets, etc., and to travel wholly by night, suffering intensely during the trip from hunger, exposure and cold, the time being early in the month of February, 1864. On reaching Williamsburgh he at once procured a furlough, and after a short time spent with his family and friends in Peru, again returned to the front rejoining his regiment in Tennessee, where he found a Captain's commission awaiting him having been promoted to the command of the company while a prisoner in Libby. He was with his regiment in the campaign of central Tennessee, and the day succeeding the bloody battle of Nashville, in which engagement he took an active part, his term of service expired and he once more became an private citizen. Immediately after his discharge he returned to Peru and resumed his trade which he has since followed, principally in the city and Miami County. Captain Wallick has recently prepared an interesting lecture entitled, Libby Prison, in which are narrated in detail the sufferings, privations and death of union prisoners and prison life in general, with a full account of his wonderful and almost miraculous escape. He is delivering this lecture in various parts of the country and has already won many encomiums from the press and those who have heard him. Mr. Wallick was married June 11, 1855, to Miss Mary E. Burns, of Tuscarawas County, Ohio. To this marriage was born one child, Flora M. Wallick, deceased. [Source: "History of Miami County, Indiana: From the Earliest Time to the Present ..." Brant & Fuller, 1887 - BZ - sub by FoFG]
BENJAMIN F. YODER, stockgrower; legislator; (Rep.); b. March 9, 1863, nr. Shanesville, Ohio; s. of Philip J. and Cinderilla (Hattery) Yoder; educ. pub. schls. Henry county, Iowa, and Cheyenne, Wyoming; res. in Ohio, 1863-5; in Iowa, 1865-81; located in Wyoming, October, 1881, and engaged in ranch business on Bear creek; has been engaged in raising horses and cattle on Bear creek and in the Goshen Hole country since that time; merchant, LaGrange, Wyo., 1893-1900; owner and manager The Yoder Bros. Co., livestock raisers, since 1909; one of the organizers and secretary of The Hawk Springs Development Co., which contemplates the reclamation by irrigation under the Carey Act. of 12,000 acres of land in the Goshen Hole country; member the organizing board of county commissioners of Goshen county, 1911-13; mem. Wyo. H. of R., from Goshen county, 1913-15; re-elected 1915-17; mem. 32 deg. Mason, Wyoming Consistory No. 1; K. of P.; Elks; M. W. of A. Address: Phillips, Wyoming. [Source: "Men of Wyoming...", By C. S. Peterson, Publ 1915;- Tr. By Sandra Stutzman]