A SHORT HISTORY OF THE TEMPLE FAMILY
Many Scions of Robert of Temple, Whence the Name Came, Serve Their Country.
The Temples get their name from Robert of Temple Hall, county of Leicester, Eng., who came into possession of the hall of the Knights Templar and used it for a residence. The first known of the property, it was, as far as the records show, in possession of Henry de Temple in 1279.
This Henry de Temple is said by tradition to have been a descendant of Leofric, Earl of Mercia before the days of William the Conqueror.
The consort of Leofric was Lady Godiva of Coventry, celebrated in Tennyson’s poem bearing her name, and the Temples of Temple Hall have therefore a doubly famous origin.
This Temple Hall was in the possession of Sir Peter Temple at time of Cromwell. Sir Peter was one of the judges who condemned to death King Charles I, and James Temple was another of the name.
The death warrant, bearing their signatures, may be soon hanging in one of the towers on the walls of Chester .
When Charles II came to the throne in 1860, Sir Peter Temple paid the penalty of his hardihood and love of liberty by life imprisonment and confiscation of Temple Hall, which has never since then been in possession of the family.
The house still stands some five miles from Atherstone and not far from the scene of the battle of Bosworth. A Robert Temple (born in Ireland in 1694, died in Mass., 1754) descended from Robert of Temple Hall 1421, an officer of the British army formed the brilliant plan of settling an Irish colony at Bath, Maine . A grandson of his, also named Robert and he had a son, William Grenville, who became Rear Admiral in the United States navy.
Abraham, of Concord, Mass., 1652, is mentioned in a warrant as an able bodied soldier, March 10, 1675 . He served as a soldier in King Phillip’s war. He was one of the thousand men who mustered on Dedham plain December 9, 1675, and marched for Narragansett Fort, the stronghold of King Phillip, situated on an island in a swamp in what is now South Kingston, R. I.
Abraham was wounded in this attack. In 1736, he, among others received a grant of land known as the Narragansett grant, as a recognition of their services in the King Phillip war.
Christopher Temple, born 1660 at Concord, Mass, was murdered by the Indians, September 28, 1691 .
There is a rock in the channel of the Nashua river about thirty rods above the upper mill of the Nashua Manufacturing company, called Temple’s Rock, supposed to be the place of his murder. Tradition says he, with others killed at the same time, was buried in this spot.
Abraham Temple, son of the Abraham, before mentioned, enlisted July 7, 1777 and served five months and twenty-eight days in the Revolutionary war.
March 6, 1779, he is in the navy and is one of the officers and crew of the frigate Boston, commanded by Samuel Tucker. On the last mentioned date he is reported sick at Philadelphia . He died about May 1786, leaving quite an estate, as Benjamin Temple gave a bond of fifty thousand dollars as administrator of his estate. Isaac Temple and Isaac, Jr., were Revolution soldiers from Shrewsbury . Isaac, Jr., was a Shrewsbury private, in October, 1775 and agreed to serve until December 31, 1776 . He marched to Bennington, enlisted July 27, 1777, under Colonel Job Cushing, and was discharged October 18, 1777 .
Ebenezer Temple was one of Capt. Timothy Walker’s company, of Wilmington, Mass., which marched on the alarm, April 19, 1775 . He enlisted again September 15, 1779 .
A Benjamin Temple enlisted February 1, 1777, and served till March 5, the same year, and was at Nantasket and Boston . His application for gun and blanket is on record. His son, Abraham, is mentioned as being in the naval service, September 26, 1789, and is upon brig Adventure, commanded in the war records as “twenty years of age; complexion light; brown hair.”
Stephen Temple enlisted in April, 1775, as a private from Northbridge, and September 26, 1775, he is a sergeant. In June, 1776, he received compensation for losses sustained at the battles of Lexington and Bunker Hill . In March, 1777, he was corporal. In January, 1780, he again went into the service from Westford, Mass.
Stephen’s son, William, is said to have served in the war of 1812, being taken prisoner by the British and confined at Dartmore, England .
Joseph Temple was seriously wounded in the historic fight, March 13, 1775, at Westminster, Vermont . He served as a private in Joseph Fish’s company, Col. Fletcher’s battalion, from the beginning of the campaign of 1781, to June 30, and received about twenty-five dollars for his services. He also served from July 1, to November 18, 1781, under the same command, and received fifty-three dollars for that time.
Parmenas Temple served in the Revolution as a private from September 24 to October 21, 1777, in Capt. William William’s regiment of militia on an expedition to Bennington . He received about twelve dollars for his services.
Aaron Temple was in the Continental army April 19, 1775, when he marched to Cambridge August 21, 1777, when he marched to Hadley, on the Bennington alarm as a corporal. He enlisted September 27, 1777, as of the same year, and served until October 17, of the same year; he served again from August 28 to November 28, 1781, and went to West Point .
Levi Temple served as corporal in Timothy Underwood’s company, Col. William Prescott’s regiment, at the Battle of Concord. He also fought at Bunker Hill . His autograph signature is preserved upon a military document in the Massachusetts archives, Vol., 35, P 151. Uryah Temple was a corporal, promoted to sergeant in Major Whitcomb’s Rangers. He was corporal and sergeant in the ninth company, second regiment, under Col. George Reid. His services extended from December 16, 1776 to 1780. He was again in the service in 1793. He was fifer in Capt. William Humphrey’s company. He died September 14, 1809 . George Washington Temple enlisted in the Civil war September 25, 1862, in Co. H, 42nd Infantry, Massachusetts Volunteers, Gen. Banks’ Division. He served at New Orleans and was honorably discharged August 20, 1863 .
George Temple, of Byhalia, who died December, 1913, and was buried Jan. 1, 1914, at Essex was a soldier of the Civil war, but I have no record of the dates of service.
James Temple, brother of George B. Temple, enlisted January 1864, Co. A. 60th regiment, O. V. I., and was killed at the battle of Cold Harbor, Va., June, 1864.
Jonathan Temple, of Troy, Ohio, practiced medicine at Belchertown, Mass. His health failing he removed to Limertine, Wis., where he enlisted in the 12th Wisconsin regiment. He was later made army surgeon and was killed at the battle of Antietam, September 17, 1862 .
James W. Temple served 3 years in the Civil war and was captain at its close. He is the author of the poem “A Sheaf of Grain.”
I do not know how many of the Temples served in the Spanish-American war, but there are several now serving in the World War in France among whom are John M. Temple, Jr., son of J. M. Temple, of Richwood, and Harold, son of D. A. Temple, of W. Ottawa street, Richwood.
W. C. Temple, Historian.
[Richwood Gazette, September 26, 1918]
TEMPLE Family Reunion News Items
Rush Creek -- Don’t forget the Temple reunion in Mrs. Elnora Temple’s grove next Saturday, Sept. 7. Everybody invited to attend. Bring your dinner, come early, stay late and enjoy a day of music, speaking and renewing old acquaintances. There will be Temples present from Denver, Colo., Mahaska, Kan., Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois and Prospect, Marion, Dayton, Columbus, West Mansfield, Dublin, Amlin, Raymond, Delaware, Marysville, Byhalia and Richwood, Ohio . They expect to have the Polks orchestra and the largest gramophone in the county to furnish music and will have four speakers, Rev. B. F. McKinnon, Rev. Clere of Prospect, and Pioneer Granville Robertson, who will talk on pioneer days. Refreshments will be served on the grounds by A. C. Temple and a per cent of the proceeds will be given him to help pay the expenses of the reunion and for establishing the Temple Reunion association permanently. One or more photographers will be on the grounds prepared to take family groups or single photographs. Have your photos taken and have a souvenir to remember the day. The Temple family will be represented by five generations. [The Richwood Gazette, September 5, 1907]
Held in the Grove of the Old Temple Homestead West of Essex, Saturday, Sept. 7
Everything seemed propitious for a good time – ideal weather enhanced the enjoyment of the people present. The busy season of the year just being passed permitted many the privilege of attending that otherwise would have been denied. The Temples from a distance began to arrive early in the week and others came even on Saturday. Seven states, Colorado, Dakota, Iowa, Kansas, Illinois, Nebraska and Ohio were represented.
The forenoon was spent in registering and getting acquainted and incidentally in preparing a bountiful dinner which was spread upon seven large tables under a tent twenty-five by fifty feet square. If anyone went away hungry it was their own fault for the tables were piled up with everything good to eat and to everybody on the grounds was extended a cordial invitation to eat with them.
Wilbert Temple, secretary of the Temple association with W. C. Temple as assistant, took the names, addresses and ages of all the Temples present. Two hundred and twelve Temples registered during the day. A list of one hundred and fourteen visitors was also taken but it was not a complete list of all present. After dinner the pictures of the crowd, the Temples and five generations of Temples were taken by three photographers who were present for that purpose. Anyone wishing one or more of the pictures can see the proofs and leave their orders with W. C. Temple at his residence.
After the pictures were taken the crowd was entertained by Pioneer Granville Robertson and Rev. B. F. McKinnon and many others. Pioneer Robertson gave a very interesting talk on the hardships, privations and some of the pleasures of boyhood days in pioneer times. He told of hunting wild cats, wolf fights and a sparkling expedition by himself and one of the Temple boys, in which he played a joke on young Temple by taking his choice of the girls and leaving the one that was deaf for Temple to entertain. He also told of an expedition to Fort Defiance to buy government land at sixty-two cents an acre.
Rev. McKinnon followed with an interesting talk to and about the Temples and he was followed by several of the Temples who gave short addresses. A unanimous vote was taken to have the reunions annually. The next one to be held at the same place the first Saturday of September 1908. The following officers were elected: D. A. Temple, pres., John M. Temple, Vice Pres.; Wilbert Temple, secy.; W. C. Temple, asst. secy.; and Leander Bosart, treas. A fund of about sixteen dollars was raised to pay expenses. The refreshment stand did a flourishing business, but the proceeds have not been learned by the writer. Family reunions were held Sunday at the residences of David and Marion Temple and an enjoyable time is reported. [[The Richwood Gazette, September 12, 1907]
Will be Held in the Lenora Temple Grove East of Arbela, Saturday, Sept. 4, 1909 .
The Temples will hold their third annual reunion in Lenora Temple’s grove one-half mile east of Arbela next Saturday, Sept. 4. Although this is a reunion of the Temple family every one, who wishes to meet old friends and enjoy a day’s pleasure is invited to fill their basket and come and spend one whole day in the year visiting friends and old acquaintances and listen to able speakers.
We hope to have with us Rev. McKinnon, Rev. Chas. Cadwallader, and others who will speak. The committee on program has not reported at this writing (Tuesday a.m.) but we hope for an hour or two of addresses, and we are sure the rest of the day can be pleasantly spent in conversation, renewing old acquaintances and forming new ones.
The Temple family, as far back as we have been able to trace, dates back to Thomas Temple, who was born in Harrison county in 1776. To him were born eleven children, James I., Col.,Jacob I., Mark, Abraham, Joseph I., Geo. I., Lewis, Sarah (Kaner), Polly (Cowgill) and Jane (Peasley.) Of these children we have been able to trace only six and their descendants number about six hundred.
In Joseph Temple’s family we have found three hundred and ninety-nine descendants from his twelve children. We have learned that Col. Temple was the father of twenty-one children, but we have been unable to find any of them, thus far.
If any of the children or grandchildren of Col., Jacob, Mark, Jane or Lewis read this article please make yourself known to the secretary at the reunion that we may complete the Temple genealogy as much as possible.
We will have, besides the dinner for all, a refreshment stand where you may treat your best girl to ice cream, or buy your children candy or bananas. There will be a tent on the grounds twenty by seventy feet square, so that should the weather be inclement a good share of the crowd can be in the dry.
Come one and all and make the day one long to be remembered on account of the good cheer enjoyed and pleasant acquaintances renewed.
W. C. Temple, Sec’y.
[The Richwood Gazette, September 2, 1909]
TEMPLE Reunion Held Last Saturday, Sept. 4.
Threatening Weather Marred the Pleasures to Some Extent - One Hundred and Ninety Members of the Family Present - Interesting Addresses Made.
The third annual reunion of the Temple family was held in the grove of Mrs. Lenora Temple, widow of Joseph Temple II, Saturday, Sept. 4, 1909 .
Though the clouds threatened rain, the people began to arrive early in the morning and presented themselves to the secretary for registration and by the time dinner hour had arrived 172 had registered. In the whole day 195 members of the family had registered.
A sumptuous dinner was spread on two long tables extending the full length of the seventy foot tent but they were not sufficient to seat the crowd of about 300 that ate dinner, so several people ate at the second table, but the food was sufficient for all and still there was a quantity left to take home.
After everyone had partaken of the many good things to eat the crowd was called to order by Rev. McKinnon at the speaker’s stand and they proceeded to elect officers for the coming year which resulted as follows: President, D. A. Temple; vice president, Geo. Hall; secretary, W. C. Temple; assistant secretary, Harry Temple; treasurer, Leander Bosart; historian, W. C. Temple. The following trustees were elected at a previous business meeting: D. A. Temple, Geo. Hall and L. J. Temple.
The oldest man present was Granville Robertson, who when introduced by the president said he was not a Taft, Harmon or a Bryan but a broken down old man, who had lived among us all his life having come here soon after the Indians had been driven out and the forests were still inhabited by the wild cats, wolves, panthers and other wild animals. He was a neighbor to Thomas Temple and a playmate of the Temple boys. He has outlived all the people of his generation as he said there was only one face in the crowd that he saw in those early days that of “Aunt Sally” Burnside, widow of Nathan Burnside and the oldest woman in the township.
He spoke of the reunions held here and then spoke feelingly of reunions that we shall have in Heaven when there shall be no separation and sadness of leaving our loved ones to go to our homes perhaps in distant places with slight hopes of ever seeing them again.
Rev. B. F. McKinnon of Middletown, Ohio, followed Brother Robertson and eulogized our old pioneer friend who preceded him. He then spoke of the benefits of family reunions and communities together in the bonds of brotherly love and of this union of people extending to larger communities and even to the nation. He then spoke of the immigration question and spoke of the million of people coming to our shores each year and how we will have to Americanize them or they will heathenize us. Above all we are to be true men and women, true to ourselves, our church, our state and our politics all of which begins in our being true to our home. There should be a union of the people and churches from which the most good can come.
James Moore of Richwood, was then called to the stand by the president and said he was like an old brother in a certain church. This old brother was of the noisy kind and was in the habit of making considerable noise in their meetings, in order to stop him one of the men told him if he would keep still that he would give him a pair of boots, to which he agreed, but in the first meetings he got so full that he could not keep still, boots or no boots. He also spoke of the reunions on earth and the heavenly reunion, where there will be no separations.
The next reunion of the Temples will be held where it was this year on the first Saturday of September, 1910.
The historian has now traced the family of Thomas Temple and found 506 descendants and there are still four of the original family to be heard from.
W. C. Temple, Secy.
[The Richwood Gazette, September 9, 1909]
TEMPLE REUNION Is Held at the Old Homestead Saturday
200 RELATIVES ATTEND
Day Is Ideal and is Very Happily Spent by Both Old and Young, Many Meeting for the First Time in Years - Temples Pioneer Family.
The Temple family reunion was held Saturday in the grove on the Temple homestead, near Arbela, which has been owned by Temples since about 1840, when it was purchased by Thomas Temple, who moved here from Franklin county, in 1839. The weather being excellent the crowd began to collect at an early hour and at dinner time, the grounds seemed alive with Temples . The two long tables were spread under the tent and they were soon surrounded by a happy, hungry crowd that did ample justice to the feast spread thereon.
After dinner the crowd was called to the speakers’ stand by the music of the piano and a male quartette from Byhalia, composed of Messrs. J. E. Cahill, Chester Moody, and John and McKinley Haines. This was followed by a solo by Wallace Rogers and after prayer by Rev. Woodworth,, the reorganization was effected by the election of D. A. Temple president, Geo. Hall, vice president; Garner Eastman, treasurer; W. C. Temple secretary and historian; L. L. Temple, Benj. Matteson, N. M. Temple, trustees. This was followed by a solo and chorus by Wallace Rogers and Messrs. Hunt, Debolt and Rogers, and a solo by McKinley Haines. A song by the Mattison family was followed by a recitation by Willard McCrary, of Dupot.
This was followed by a solo by Chester Moody and a piano duet by Cleatus and Lelah Baker, of Mt. Victory . Mrs. Molly Tooley, of Findlay, gave a recitation and this was followed by a vocal duet by Joyce Gay and Chester Moody. Then followed a solo by Wallace Rogers and a recitation by Mrs. W. C. Temple. Mrs. Gay and Mr. Moody then sang another duet and this was followed by a recitation by Mrs. Fred Donahoe, of Marysville. Mr. Benj. Mattison, sr., of Michigan, then gave a short address which was followed by a solo by John Haines and an address by Rev. Watkins. After another song by the Byhalia quartette and a solo by Mr. Hunt, Rev. Woodworth of Essex gave a short address and the program was complete by a piano duet by Cleatus Baker and his sister, Leah.
Those present from a distance were Mrs. Charlotte Grover, Casey, Ill. ; Benj. Temple and wife, Terre Haute, Ind. ; Wilber Temple, Pataskia; Susan Temple and granddaughter, Henrietta, Linder; Charles Temple and family, Columbus; Mrs. Fred Donahue and daughters, of Marysville; A. P. Temple and wife, Jacob Eastman and wife, of Columbus; Mrs. Rose Lingrel, Clarence Price and wife, of Marion; Pearl Bridge and family, of Huntsville; Thomas McCrary, wife and son, of Pierpont; Pearl Hanawalt and wife, of West Mansfield; Oliver Eastman and family, of Pharisburg; Eathen Temple and mother, of Magnetic Springs; Walter Tooly and wife, of Findlay; John Wooley and family and Bart Hough and family, of Green Camp; Joseph Temple and family, of Prospect; Fred Buerkel and wife, of Lima.
The next reunion will be held at the same place on the first Saturday in September 1914. Over 200 Temples were present at Saturday’s meeting. [The Richwood Gazette, September 11, 1913]
ANNUAL TEMPLE REUNION
Held in Temple Grove Near Arbela Last Saturday - Over One Hundred and Seventy-Five Present.
The annual Temple reunion was held in Temple ’s grove near Arbela last Saturday, September 5. Over one hundred and seventy-five members of the Temple family and guests of the family were present. Although the day was rather chilly a good time was enjoyed by all present, and a splendid dinner was served at the noon hour. Just preceding dinner the company sang a verse of “Blest Be the Tie That Binds” and Rev. Hawes asked grace.
In the afternoon a short program was rendered. Rev. N. J. Kinney, of Marysville, Rev. R. E. Brooks, of Essex, and Rev. F. E. Hawes of LaRue, each gave a short address. Mrs. Hawes gave a delightful reading and Mrs. Owen Cheney and Mr. Gomer Prichard sang several duets. Crogan Bailey sang a solo and Paul E. Hutchinson, of Richwood, played a piano solo. Among the oldest people present were Thomas Dysert, who is eighty-four years old, Mrs. Caroline Bridge, who is seventy-four and Mrs. Fanny Matteson, who is about the same age. The older members of the family were given seats of honor on the speakers’ platform.
After the program a business session was held when Leonard Temple was elected president; George Hall, vice president; W. C. Temple, sec’y; and Henry Temple, asst. sec’y. It was decided to hold the next reunion at the same place the first Saturday in September, 1915. [The Richwood Gazette, September 10, 1914]
Held Their Reunion at the Joseph Temple Farm
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 2
Over Two Hundred Members of This Well Known Family Attend and Spend a Most Enjoyable Day. Officers Elected.
Last Saturday the Temple family gathered again to spend an enjoyable day together at their family reunion which is an annual affair. The reunion was held at the home of Joseph Temple and wife. At an early hour the Temples began to gather with well filled baskets. At noon two long tables were spread with good things to eat. One hundred and ninety-nine people sat down to the first table and it is not known how many ate at the second table.
After dinner the crowd repaired to the stand prepared for the entertainment. A splendid program consisting of songs by Messrs. John and Mac Haines, Gail Spain, G. Prichard, Mrs. Ben McCrary and others was given. Recitations were given by several of the young Temple generation and a very interesting talk was given by Rev. Hawes, of LaRue.
The officers elected were: President, D. A. Temple; vice-president, L. L. Temple; secretary, W. C. Temple; ass’t secy., Grace Temple; treasurer, George Hall; historian, W. C. Temple; trustees, N. M. Temple, George Hall and J. M. Temple. The next reunion is to be held at the same place the first Saturday of September, 1917.
The following were present from a distance: Mrs. Tillie Converse, of Columbus ; Mrs. Ella Donahue and children, Mrs. Irene Lachenmaier and daughter, Mrs. Alta McMahon and children and Mrs. Tillie Singer, of Marysville; Noah Groves and family and Mrs. Rebeccah Temple, of Dublin; Archie Temple and family, of Akron; Mr. and Mrs. Zebbie Baker, Zur Holland and family, Clarence Price, of Marion; John Tooley and family, of Arlington; Hiram Temple and family, of Harpster; Mrs. Dora Baldwin and daughters, of Radnor; Rufus Santameir, of Bradner, and Mr. Bailey of Hilliards. [The Richwood Gazette, September 7, 1916]
The Temples held their twelfth annual reunion at Garfield Park, Marion, Saturday, September 7.
The weather was fine and at an early hour there were about one hundred and sixty Temples ready to partake of the bountiful dinner spread on three long tables.
After dinner, a short program was rendered and the officers elected for the ensuing year.
Frank M. Temple and daughter of Urichsville, sang a duet and Harvey Ream, of Columbus, offered prayer. Mr. Ream and Charles Sparks gave short talks.
The following officers were elected: President, D. A. Temple, vice, L. L. Temple; secretary, J. S. Mattison; treasurer, Geo. Hall, historian, W. C. Temple; trustees, J. M. Temple, Geo. Hall, M. M. Temple.
The next reunion will be held at the Temple grove, near Arbela, on the first Saturday in September, 1919.
TEMPLE FAMILY REUNION
The thirteenth annual reunion of the Temple family was held in the Temple grove about a mile east of Arbela, last Saturday, September 6. The weather was ideal and at an early hour the people began to gather in the grove and renew old acquaintances or to form new ones with the Temples that had never been to the reunion.
At high noon the people sat down to tables loaded with all kinds of food that might tempt the most fastidious appetite, and after thanks had been given to God for such a bounty of food, and His care and blessings by Rev. Gillespie of the Baptist church, of Richwood, we proceeded to replenish (or punish) the inner man, as the case might be. After an hour or two spent in eating and visiting the crowd was called to the speaker’s stand, where the following program was rendered: The first on the program was music by the quartette followed by prayer by Rev. Gillespie, after another song by the quartette the minutes of the last reunion were read and approved. After the reading of the minutes, the annual election of officers was held and resulted as follows: President, J. M. Temple; vice president, George Hall; secretary and historian, W. C. Temple; treasurer, George Hall; trustees, L. J. Temple, D. A. Temple and N. M. Temple. The Temple grove was elected as the place for the next reunion, to be held on the first Saturday of September, 1920. After the election the quartette sang another song that was followed by recitations by Arthur Kale, of LaRue, Ohio, Mary Temple, of Richwood, and Mrs. Ella Donahoe, of Marysville, Ohio. These were followed by the song “Be Kind to Old Grannie,” by the quartette, and recitations by Beulah Kale, of LaRue, and Mrs. Grace Temple, Richwood. Rev. Gillespie then gave an entertaining and instructive talk in which he mingled sense and nonsense in the delightful way of which he is master. He spoke at some length on the signs of the times, and the benefits derived from family reunions in fostering family and community spirit, and gave the good illustration of “The Seven Sons,” given in one of our school readers, as the secret of a successful family, or community. This was followed by music by the quartette, which was encored. Mildred Miller, of Arbela, then gave a recitation and was followed by the recitation, “The Old Gray Horse,” by Mrs. Doris Kale, of LaRue. Rev. Newton Fields was then called to the stand and he responded by telling reminiscences of his boyhood days, when he and Temple boys of David and Jake’s generation, played together. He also eulogized the life of Deacon Joseph Temple, who at one time lived on the farm where we held our reunion. He was followed by a short talk by our new president, after which the quartette led in the singing of “God Be With You Till We Meet Again, “and we were dismissed by the benediction by Rev. Fields, W. C. Temple, secretary. [Richwood Gazette, September 11, 1919]
The Temples held their fourteenth annual reunion in the Temple Grove, east of Arbela, and as usual had a lovely day for the event. The crowd began to gather at nine o’clock and by the dinner hour quite a number had collected from Battle Creek, Michigan to Memphis, Tennessee, and from Cleveland, Ohio, to Washington, Kansas .
The tent had been put up in preparation for a rainy day, but as the sun was shining and the weather was cool, the tables were spread under the trees where there was plenty of room for expansion. About two hundred people partook of the bountiful basket dinner which had been brought.
After an hour or two spent in social chat by the people in general and the registering of the Temples by the secretary, the Pres., J. M. Temple, called the people to the platform where the following program was rendered: Bong, America, by all; prayer, Rev. Gillespie, of Richwood Baptist church; recitation, Revised version of: “The Inventor’s Wife,” by Mrs. W. C. Temple; song, G. Prichard and Mrs. Cheney; talk, D. H. Santamyer; reading, Ella Donahoe. This was followed by the reading of the minutes and election of officers which resulted as follows: President, J. M. Temple; vice president, L. J. Temple; secretary and historian, W. C. Temple; treasurer, George Hall; trustees, L. J. Temple, D. A. Temple and N. M. Temple. The time and place for the next reunion was decided to be on the first Saturday in September, 1921, at Garfield park, Marion, Ohio . After the election of officers the secretary read a letter from Hila Clevenger describing her trip to Pasadena, Cal. by auto. This was followed by a recitation by Mrs. Elmer Miller. Gomer Prichard then read a poem he had written in praise and otherwise of the Temples . He made several apt hits on some of their traits, as he knows how to do in his jocular way. Rev. Wilcoxon then gave a splendid talk, and was followed by a recitation by Mary Francis Temple. This was followed by E. R. Eastman, of Ottawa, O., and Rev. Gillespie, of Richwood. A song was then sung and the benediction pronounced by Rev. Wilcoxon.
One hundred and sixty-one Temples registered. The ones from other states were Harry Bell and family, of Battle Creek, Mich. ; Mrs. Lucy Buerkel, Washington, Kan., and Mrs. M. C. Marks, of Memphis, Tenn. [Richwood Gazette, September 9, 1920]
The eighteenth annual reunion of the Massachusetts branch of the Temple family was held on the farm of Joseph Temple I, who was the pioneer temple of northern Union county, having moved to this county in 1837. His home was called the “Preachers’ Home,” owing to his entertaining ministers who preached in the Union Baptist church in those early days. The day, Sept. 6, was the coldest and most disagreeable in 18 years, for this time of year, and although in the early forenoon it seemed that there would not be many in attendance, about 150 ate dinner and many others came in the afternoon. There were Temples from Battle Creek, Mich. ; Kendalville and Huntington, Ind. ; Columbus, Hilliards, Marysville, London, Westerville, Marion, North Lewisburg, Agosta and Green Camp, Ohio, besides those from the vicinity of Richwood. After dinner the association reorganized, with L. J. Temple, president; Garner Eastman, vice president; W. C. Temple, secretary-treasurer, and J. S. Matteson and N. M. Temple, trustees. It was voted to have the next reunion at the same place on the first Saturday in September, 1925. After the organization Revs. Campbell and Cosby gave interesting and instructive addresses, after which a photographer from Columbus took a panoramic photograph of the crowd. [Richwood Gazette, September 11, 1924]
The Temple reunion was held Saturday at the Marysville fairgrounds with about 175 in attendance. A picnic dinner was served. All the officers were reelected for the coming year. The next reunion will be held at the same place the first Saturday in September. [The Marion Star ( Marion, Ohio ), September 7, 1928]
Mr. and Mrs. L. J. Temple attended the Temple reunion at the Marysville fairgrounds, Saturday. [The Richwood Gazette, September 12, 1929]
Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Temple attended the Temple reunion at the Chantanqua grounds Sunday. [Hamilton Daily News Journal ( Poasttown, Ohio ) September 7, 1934]
Mrs. Sarah Stump and daughter, Myrtle, Robert Stump of Columbus, attended the Temple reunion Saturday at Prospect. [The Richwood Gazette, September 6, 1934]
Randall Bailey, of Martinsville, Ill., returned to his home after spending two weeks with P. B. Clevenger and other relatives attending the Temple reunion last Saturday at Prospect. [The Richwood Gazette, September 7, 1937]
Mr. and Mrs. O. W. McCrary and son and T. A. McCrary, of Pierpont, were guests over the week end at the home of Mr. and Mrs. P. B. Clevenger and Mr. and Mrs. O. K. Eastman and attended the Temple reunion. [The Richwood Gazette, September 9, 1937]
Mrs. C. L. Fields, Mrs. Florence Monson, Mrs. Orpha Haughn and son, Paul, Mrs. John Rockhold and family and Mr. and Mrs. D. A. Temple attended the Temple reunion Saturday at Prospect. [The Richwood Gazette, September 8, 1938]
The Temple reunion held at Prospect Park Saturday was not as largely attended as usual but all had a good time. Mrs. P. B. Clevenger and Mrs. Laura Eastman, the former’s great nephews, Harold and Donald Clevenger, Clair Norris and Donald Lee Robinson of Marysville, also attended the reunion. [The Richwood Gazette, September 10, 1942]
Temple Reunion Attracts 52 to Community Park
Forty-ninth Temple reunion was held Saturday at the Prospect Community park with 52 persons attending from Cleveland, Norwalk, West Mansfield, Edison, Bucyrus, Westerville, Marengo and Marysville. Officers elected for the year were Mr. Grover Bosart, president; Mr. Garner Eastman, vice president; and Elmer Temple, secretary.
Those attending from Marysville and vicinity were Mr. George Eastman, Miss Thelma Eastman, Mrs. Laura Eastman, Mr. and Mrs. Blain Clevenger, Mrs. Neva Hill and daughter and granddaughter, Mrs. Doris Bader and Bonnie, from Columbus . [Marysville Journal-Tribune ( Marysville, Ohio), September 1, 1955]
Mr. and Mrs. Garner Eastman and daughter, Ethel, Mrs. Frankie Eastman and children, Mrs. Betty Eastman and children, Mrs. Ellen Eastman and daughter, and Mrs. Linda Martin all attended the 53rd annual Temple family reunion held Sept. 5 at Prospect Park . [September 11, 1959, Temple Reunion]
TEMPLE REUNION SET SATURDAY
The Temple Reunion will be held Saturday, Sept. 17 in the Richwood Civic Center rooms, Richwood Community Apartments, 235 Grove St . The reunion convenes at 2 p.m. and dinner is scheduled for 6 p.m. [The Richwood Gazette, September 13, 1983]