Vinton County Information
Year Organized: March
Named after U. S. Representative Samuel Finley Vinton,
of Jackson County, Ohio, Vinton County was officially made a county on March 23, 1850 and formed from Gallia, Athens,
Hocking, Ross and Jackson Counties. It's main source of water comes from branches of the Scioto and Hocking Rivers.
Most of its wealth in the early years came from iron, coal and fire-clay. Vinton county was home to four of the
many furnaces located in Ohio, Eagle, Hope, Vinton and Hamden.
Some of the earliest settlers came to Vinton County
about 1805, with one of the earliest known being a Mr. Musselman. He settled in Elk which at that time was the
pioneer township of the county. He was a miller by trade and a bit of a geologist as well. He discovered the first
burr stone. He began quarrying the stone in 1806.
The county seat, McArthur was laid out in 1815 and
was originally called "McArthurstown" after then Governor McArthur. By an act of legislature it was given
its current name of McArthur in 1851 and was at that time incorporated. In 1850, there were 450 residents living
The 2000 Census states that Vinton County has the
smallest population in the state.
Hamden * McArthur * Wilkesville * Zaleski
Creola * New Plymouth * Ray
Ingham * Moonville * Oreton
Brown * Clinton * Eagle * Elk * Harrison * Jackson *
Knox * Madison * Richland * Swan * Vinton * Wilkesville
DEDICATED TO FREE GENEALOGY
Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved
for original submitters.