ARNOLD, Albert M.
ALBERT M. ARNOLD, Principal of the Macy Schools, is a native of Butler Township, this County, and was born February 16, 1856. He was the second son born to William M. and Mary B. (Mowbray) Arnold, both natives of Ohio. The former came with his parents to this County about 1846, and the latter located in Peru in 1837. When Albert was seven years old his parents removed to Fulton County, where he worked upon his father's farm until he was sixteen years of age. The father died in Fulton County in 1871, after which our subject, in company with his mother and other members of the family, returned to Butler Township. Here Albert worked upon a farm in summer, and attended the public schools at Santa Fe until the fall of 1877. At that time he took up the avocation of a teacher. In this capacity he has been actively engaged ever since. In the fall of 1884, he was elected to the Principalship of the Schools of Macy, which position he has held ever since. In the meantime he has improved his education by attending the Academy at Amboy in this County three terms, and the Normal School at Lebanon, Ohio, one term. October 1, 1884, he was married to Anna C. Miller, a native of Butler Township, born April 17, 1865. She was the daughter of Abram and Anna (Erbaugh) Miller, both natives of Rockingham County, Va. Mr. and Mrs. Arnold have born to them one child-a son, born October 14, 1886. They are members of the M. E. Church. In politics Mr. Arnold is a Republican. He is an earnest, faithful worker in the schoolroom, and ranks among the best teachers of the county. [Source: "History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present..." By Brant & Fuller, Chicago - Contributed by Barb Zigenmeyer]
BAKER, Miss Ida Wikoff, business woman, born in Decatur, Ill., 31st July, 1859. Her father, Peter Montfort Wikoff, was a native of Warren county, Ohio, who removed with his father to Illinois while quite young. He was a descendant of Peter Cloesen Wikoff, who came from Holland in 1636 and settled on Long Island, where he held a position under the Dutch Government. He married Margaret Van Ness. Mrs. Baker's mother, whose maiden name was Elizabeth Fletcher, was born near Crotches' Ferry, Md. On 25th April, 1878, Ida was married to Joseph N. Baker, then a merchant of Decatur, and now connected with the Citizens' National Bank. Of two children born to them, one, a daughter aged nine, is living. In 1889 Mrs. Baker's sister, Miss Laura B. Wikoff, set on foot a plan to organize a stock company composed of women only, for the purpose of promoting the industrial, educational and social advancement of women, and for literary, scientific and musical culture in the city of Decatur. Articles of incorporation were issued to the Woman's Club Stock Company 15th August, 1889, and a building was finished and occupied by the first tenant 1st November, 1890. Mrs. Baker was named one of the nine directors at the first annual meeting, was elected secretary ct the stock company 12th January, 1891, and has served in that capacity ever since. In December, 1889, the Woman's Exchange was established as a branch of the Industrial and Charitable Union. Mrs. Baker was elected president and served until forced by illness to resign. After partly regaining her health, she served as treasurer and business manager. She is a member of the Woman's Club, of the Order of the Eastern Star, and of the Woman's Christian Temperance Union. Her life is one of constant activity. [Source: "American Women Fifteen Hundred Biographies", Volume 1, Publ. 1897, Transcribed by Marla Snow]
BAIRD, DR. J. V.
Dr. J. V. Baird is one of the leading physicians of Albany, Delaware county, Ind., and is very popular in his profession, having a large practice. Dr. Baird was born in Jay county, Ind., June 13, 1850, and is the son of John and Eliza (Staley) Baird and grandson of Beedent Baird, a native of Scotland. Beedent Baird came to America about the year 1790, and located in New York, where he lived for some time, and then settled in Warren county, Ohio, where he resided until his death. The father of Dr. Baird was born November 8, 1808, and was reared on a farm, receiving his education in the common schools. He married Eliza Staley January 27, 1831, and removed with her to Jay county, Ind., August 1839, the country then being a wilderness. The father purchased property there, improved a farm, and resided upon the same until his death, which occurred October 25, 1859; his wife died July 10, 1870, and the remains of boats rest in Claycome cemetery. There were the parents of 19 children, six of whom are now living, namely: William, all R. C., Dr. J.V., Sarah, Elizabeth and Mary. Beedent Baird was an abolitionist, having the old fashioned underground railroad at his house, and was a very ardent friend of the fugitive slave. He joined the republican party as soon as it was organized and remained loyal to it the remainder of his life.
Dr. J.V. Baird was born and reared upon the home farm, and early in life was taught the principles of economy and industry. In his youth he attended school in the old walled house, so common throughout the west, and at the age of seventeen began teaching, which he continued for some time, attending, meanwhile, the summer and fall terms at Liber college, in Jay county. While pursuing his studies at this institution he began the study of law with J.W. Headington, of Portland, Ind., with whom he continued for one year, when he exchanged his library for medical books, and began preparing himself for the medical profession. He ran under Dr. E. W. Moon, Portland, for over two years, and there interred the Eclectric Medical institute at Cincinnati, Ohio, attending in the years 1879 and 1880, and graduating in 1881. He then began practice in the village where he has remained at percents, and in the year 1891 took a postgraduate course in the same college. Dr. Baird has a good practice, and has been quite successful. He was married August 26, 1876, in Jay county, to Mrs. Aurelia J. Hayes to which union two children have been born, namely: John W., and Morris B. The mother of these children died February 28, 1890 and on June 30, 1892, in Poplar Bluff, MO., The Dr. married his present wife, Mary McGarvey, who was born in Kentucky, August 14, 1857; daughter of Peter and Margaret (McGrail) McGarvey, natives of Ireland. Mrs. Baird is a graduate of the College of Physicians and Surgeons, of Indiana. She is a thorough student, and her papers on medical subjects have given her considerable distinction. She began the practice as a homeopathic, but now practices in the same school is her husband. Mrs. Baird is a member of the Presbyterian church, while her husband is a free thinker. He is a member of the Republican Party, and a strong supporter of its candidates. He is also a member of the Odd Fellows and of the Red Men. Dr. Baird is connected with the Gas company, and the Albany Land company, of which he is a director. ["A Portrait And Biographical Record Of Delaware And Randolph Counties, Ind" Published by A. W. Bowen and Co. 1894; TI; Sub by FoFG]
BENNETT, William G., contractor; born, Blanchester, O., Nov. 23, 1868; son of Henry D. and Chalista (Granger) Bennett; educated public schools and Danville (Ind.) Normal School; married, Cora Brennan, of Philadel.phia, Sept. 22, 1889; children: Raulston A., Beatrice O., Dolly A., William G., Jr., Rosaline. Began active career, 1883, as rodman in employ of Sooysmith & Co., bridge contractors, New York, and advanced to position of superin.tendent of construction; became connected with the Edgemoor Bridge Co., 1892, as fore.man in construction of buildings of Colum.bian Exposition, Chicago; after close of expo.sition served as general superintendent Columbia Salvage Co., the name later being changed to the Chicago House Wrecking Co.; removed to St. Louis, 1902, and organized the St. Louis Wrecking and Supply Co., the name being later changed to the Chicago Wrecking and Supply Co., of which was vice president and general manager until 1910; since in general contracting business. Republican. Scottish Rite Mason (32 degrees), Shriner, Odd Fellow. Club: Missouri Athletic. Recreations: fishing and hunting. Office and Residence: 4561 Morgan Street. [Source: "The Book of St. Louisans", Publ. 1912, Transcribed by Charlotte Slater]
CADWALLADER, Isaac Henry, physician; born, Waynesville, Warren Co., O., Aug. 29, 1850; son of John T. and Rachel (Farquhar) Cadwallader; educated in public schools, Lincoln, ILL., and Lincoln University, finishing course 1868; graduated from Rush Medical College, Chicago, M.D., 1875; married, St. Louis, 1896, Ella C. Brown. Began practice of medicine in St. Louis in 1875, and continued in general practice until 1900; in 1891 became a member of the medical staff of the Missouri Baptist Sanitarium, and in 1900 was appointed to present position as physician in charge of that institution. Specialist in gynecological surgery and practice. Member St. Louis Medical Society, Missouri State Medical Association, American Medical Association. Vice president the Central Slate Quarrying Co. of Missouri. President Eureka Auto Parts Manufacturing Co. Mason. Member Third Baptist Church. Office and Residence: Missouri Baptist Sanitarium, 919 N. Taylor Ave. [Source: "The Book of St. Louisans", Publ. 1912, Transcribed by Charlotte Slater]
CLYMER, Joseph C.
JOSEPH C. CLYMER, County Treasurer, was born in Jefferson Township, Miami County, March 15, 1847. His paternal ancestors were Pennsylvanians, his grandfather, Christian Clymer, emigrating from that State in an early day to Warren County, Ohio, where he lived until his removal to Miami County, about the year 1834. He, with his son Levi Clymer, father of subject, settled near Mexico, Jefferson Township, and was among the earliest pioneers of that section. He was a farmer by occupation and died sometime in the latter part of the forties. Levi Clymer was born in Warren County, Ohio, January 15, 1811. He was a resident of Jefferson Township, this county, until the year 1848, at which time he removed to Clay Township, where he has since resided. He is one of Miami County's representative farmers and a man widely and favorably known for his many sterling qualities. Subject's mother, Elizabeth Clymer, was the daughter of Henry Kirby, one of the early and substantial citizens of Warren County, Ohio. She departed this life at her home in Clay Township, in the year 1876. Mr. and Mrs. Clymer, were the parents of nine children, four of whom are living, Joseph C., being the youngest son of the family. He was reared on his father's farm in Clay Township, acquired in the common schools a practical education and subsequently attended the Peru High School and the Valparaiso Normal College. He began life as a farmer and followed agricultural pursuits until 1881, at which time he accepted the position of Deputy County Treasurer, under E. Humrickhouse, and continued in that capacity for a period of four years. In the meantime, 1884, he was nominated by the Democratic party as a candidate for that office, and at the ensuing election received a large majority of the county vote, a fact which attested his great popularity with the people. He having discharged the duties of the responsible trust in a manner highly satisfactory to all he was in 1886 re-elected and is now entering upon upon his second term. Mr. Clymer is an intelligent, thoroughly well posted business man, and his career has been a marked success. He was married January 21, 1885, to Miss Emma, daughter of Isaac and Maria Miller, of Miami County. [Source: "History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present..." By Brant & Fuller, Chicago - Contributed by Barb Zigenmeyer]
COOK, Levi and Elisha
Levi and Elisha COOK, farmers; P. O. Waynesville; are sons of Abraham and Ruth (HAWKINS) COOK, natives of South Carolina; the paternal grandfather, Amos Cook, a native of South Carolina, married Elizabeth TOWNSEND, and, with his family, emigrated to Ohio and located in this county and township on the place where Elisha Cook now resides in 1803, and here opened out right in the woods, experiencing their full share of the trials, and hardships of pioneer life, the settlers being then few and far between; no roads but paths or trails through the unbroken forests, and here they toiled and labored to make a home and a farm, and here they died; they had eight children who grew to maturity, married, and raised families, but have all now departed this life, except one daughter - Ruth, now Widow Cook, residing in Indiana.
Abraham, the youngest son, was 11 years of age when they arrived in this county, and here grew to manhood accustomed to all the deprivations of those early days; was married Sept. 10, 1812, and became the father of ten children; eight grew to maturity; seven now survive: Sarah, Levi, Stephen, Dinah, Elisha, Lydia and Elizabeth. Mr. Cook located upon the home farm, where he resided until his death, July 9, 1862, aged 70 years; his wife died February, 1863, aged 70 years. He and family, as was his father, were devoted members of the Society of Friends.
Levi, the eldest son, was born on the old home farm Dec. 4, 1819; was raised and grew to manhood and remained with his father till 30 years of age; was married in the spring of 1850 to Ellen, born in Maryland Jan 2, 1821, a daughter of Arnold and Hannah BOONE, he a native of Maryland and she of Pennsylvania, who moved to Ohio and settled in Warren County in 1836, and here lived and died; they had nine children; two only now survive -- Elizabeth, now Mrs. DAVIS, living in Virginia, and Ellen.
Mr. [Levi] Cook and wife have three children -- Samuel B., born Jan. 10, 1851; Ruth, born Aug 8, 1854; and Hannah, born April 13, 1861. Mr. Cook after his marriage located upon the farm where he now lives and has since resided; has erected nearly all the buildings on the place and made improvements until now he has a very pleasant home and residence.
Elisha, the youngest son, was born where he now lives, May 28, 1829; was married Nov. 19, 1868 to Anna B. LYDEN, who was born in Ireland Aug. 20, 1843, and emigrated to America with a brother and sister when 10 years of age, or in 1853, and here she grew to womanhood; she was a daughter of Patrick and Margaret LYDEN. Mr. Cook and wife have five children -- Mary E., born Oct. 5, 1869; Lizzie, born Oct. 22, 1870; Levi Parry, born Feb. 27, 1873; Amos, Born Aug. 18, 1874, and Maggie Anna, born Nov. 8, 1875. Mr. Cook located upon the old home farm, where are associated all the scenes of his childhood, and where he had made a continued residence from his birth -- a period of fifty-two years, and the farm has been in possession of the Cook family since its first purchase and occupation in 1803 -- a period of seventy-eight years. Ruth HAWKINS, the mother of our subjects, was a daughter of James and Sarah Hawkins, who settled in Warren County about 1804 or 1805. [p. 834, The History of Warren County, Ohio: W. H. Beers & CO. Chicago: c. 1882 - Sub by FoFG]
LUCIUS A. COTTLE, physician and surgeon, P. O., Maineville, is one of the oldest practicing physicians in Warren co. He was born in Farmington, Me., Oct. 18, 1815, and is a son of Dr. John and Thirza (PORTER) COTTLE. Dr. John was born in Martha's Vineyard, Sept. 26, 1780. His wife was born in Somerset Co., Me., in 1789. He chose medicine and surgery as his profession, and was a graduate of a Massachusetts school, after which he practiced six years in the State of Maine. He was married to Thirza, daughter of Col PORTER, in 1806. In 181, he with his wife and five children, emigrated westward, and at Olean, N. Y., met John Grosbeck and family, with whom they continued their journey on flat-boats down the Ohio, and landed in Cincinnati in November of the same year. Soon after he removed to Maineville, where he entered upon the practice of his profession, in which he was successful, having built up an enviable reputation as a skilful physician. For 30 years he practiced uninterruptedly and accumulated considerable wealth, which would have been largely augmented had he collected closely. The territory over which he rode was extensive and he never failed to respond to those who summoned his assistance. Several years before his death he relinquished much of his practice, and attended only calls of extreme cases, or to consult with other physicians. He died in 1853. His wife survived him and departed this life in 1865. Both were prominent members of the Free Will Baptist Church, to which they belonged from the date of their settlement in Maineville. He also belonged to the order of Masonry and was an advanced and worthy member.
The rudiments of our subject's education were received in the subscription schools, which were afterward developed in the Miami University at Oxford, O. On account of failing health he was obliged to relinquish his fond anticipation for a collegiate course for the time being and return home, where he finished his literary education under the tutorage of his father, who was a thorough scholar and a fine linguist. At the age of 15 he began the study of medicine under the direction of his father, who was his professional preceptor until the winter of 1834-15, when he entered the Ohio Medical College at Cincinnati where he took his first course of lectures. He then entered on the practice with his father, and eventually began reading under Dr. Muzzy, of Cincinnati, and took other courses of lectures in the same institution, from which he received a diploma of graduation in 1842. Immediately he entered upon his practice at Maineville and with the exception of a single year he was locate din Deerfield, has resided in Maineville since. He has always enjoyed a large and lucrative practice, and is a well-read and skilful physician.
Oct 19, 1836, he was married to Adaline, daughter of the Rev. D. DUDLEY, of Butler Co., O., who bore him two children - one living, viz: Pliny; John C., deceased. Mrs. C. died Nov 3, 1843. His second marriage was celebrated with Anchor C., daughter of Absalom DEATH of Franklin, O., who bore him seven children, six of whom are living, viz: John A., Wyman A. W.; Lucius C.; Eva J.; Thirza; and Ida M. Susan, the eldest, deceased. Mrs. C. died April 10, 1860. His third and last marriage was celebrated with Mrs. Phoebe SHAWHAN, daughter of Joseph GREENE, Aug. 15, 1860.
The Doctor was surgeon of the 2nd Brigade and 19th Div. of the Ohio militia for seven years. His father was surgeon of this same corps for five years previous. Our subject was afterwards appointed Adjutant of the same command, a position he held three years. He was then elected Colonel by the officers of the regiment, in Lebanon, a position he held until his commission expired. In 162 he was given a special commission by Gov. Brough to visit the hospitals at St. Louis and Pittsburg Landing, in company with Drs. Mitchell, of Piqua, and McCook, of Steubenville, whose duties were to bring home the sick and disabled soldiers. He is well advanced in the order of Masonry, belonging to the Blue Lodge Chapter and Council at Lebanon. He is also a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, which he joined under the ministration of the Rev. Joseph Hill, in 1897. [Source: "History of Warren County, Ohio": Chicago W. H. Beers & Co. about 1882, pg. 941]
ISAAC CRANE, a native of Warren County, Ohio, was born near Lebanon, January 26, 1811, the eldest son of Abner and Huldah (Robertson) Crane, natives of New York and Ohio. The subject was reared on a farm in his native County; came to Miami County in 1843, and located in Washington Township, having bought eighty acres of land in 1840, at five dollars per acre. He was married in 1862, to Miss Margaret J. (Logan) James, of Ohio. He owns eighty acres of land in Washington, and 120 in Clay Township. He is an anti-mason and is opposed to absolute prohibition. When young he received a common school education, and in later years has been grasping for a knowledge of chemistry and natural philosophy. [Source: "History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present..." By Brant & Fuller, Chicago - Contributed by Barb Zigenmeyer]
Joseph DUBOIS, farmer, P. O. Carlisle Station; is a son of Daniel and Elizabeth (CONOVER) DUBOIS, who settled in Franklin Township, Warren Co., in 1804; here our subject was born, Nov. 22, 1817; he was reared on a farm and has always pursued that avocation. Sept. 3, 1840, he was married to Mary A. TAPSCOTT, daughter of Joseph and Anna TAPSCOTT, born in Franklin Township in 1820; she departed this earth Dec. 16, 1876, and Mr. D. was again married, Dec. 15, 1877, to Mrs. Catherine PRICE, widow of Samuel Price (deceased) and daughter of Henry and Fannie KLINGELSMITH. One child was added to this union, Joseph H., born April 2, 1879. Mr. Dubois owns a farm of 52 acres where he resides and 75 acres in Germantown Township, and 80 acres in Paulding County Mrs. Dubois owns 100 acres in Douglass Co., Ill. Mr. D. is engaged in stock-dealing, principally in buying and selling horses. Politcally, he is Democratic. [Source: "History of Warren County, Ohio": Chicago W. H. Beers & Co. about 1882, Page 803]
FAIRCHILD, Henry Shields
FAIRCHILD, Henry Shields, St Paul. Res 303 Nelson av, office 209 Ct blk. Real estate and loans. Born Aug 18, 1826 in Warren county O, son of Lewis and Elizabeth (Day) Fairchild. Educated in the common schools and academy in Lebanon, Waynesville and Cincinnati O. was teacher in former 2 years. Head of firm of Fairchild & Underwood merchants Brandon Miss 1854-57; Fairchild & Pease and Fairchild & Son St Paul. Member of Board of Public Works; ex-pres Ramsey County Pioneers; dir of St Paul Chamber of Commerce; member of Executive Council State Historical Society; ex-pres St Paul Real Estate Exchange; honorary member State Agricultural Society. One of the organizers and promoters of the State Fair; was one of the committee with Gov Ramsey and Senator H M Price to fix price for the grounds for the new State Capitol. Member of Ohio Assn; member of County Board. [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Anna Parks]
CHARLES FORD, merchant, Maineville, was born in the State of Maine, in the year 1844, and is a son of James and Lucy FORD, natives of the same state, in which they were reared and married. In 1850 he they came to Maineville, in which he engaged in merchandizing. In 1854 he was prominently connected in getting a postoffice established in the village, of which he was appointed master. He served in the was of 1812, near Portland, Me. He died in 1866, age 67 years (nearly).
Six children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Ford, viz: Eliab B., James, Mary J., Lucy L., Nathaniel and Charles. Our subject's boyhood was passed in his native State, in which he received the rudiments of his education. Mercantile pursuits he has followed since boyhood, and since his father's death the business of his store has been conducted under his name. In 1868 he was married to Caroline BRAMBLE, of Hamilton Co., O., who has borne him four children, three living, viz: Elmer, Ayers L., and Ruth M. Eli, infant, deceased.
Mr. Ford has been mayor of the village five years, and clerk of the township one year; has also been a member of the State Board of Equalization. Is also a member of the Masonic Emory Lodge of Loveland, O., No. 258. Was prominent in the organization of the Squirrel Hunters in 1863. He raised a Company of which he became First Lieutenant; was on a sixteen days campaign in the defence of Cincinnati; was also a member of the State Militia and a sergeant of his company, and was out after John Morgan. [Source: "History of Warren County, Ohio": Chicago W. H. Beers & Co. about 1882, pg. 946]
HENRY FORD, deceased, was born in Hamilton township, May 21, 1817, and was a son of Henry and Susan FORD, who were born in Delaware. His early education was received in the traditional log schoolhouse. Jan 14, 1841, he was married. Mrs. Ford born near Lexington, Ky., in the year 1789. After his marriage he located on a farm left him by his father. To them were born eight children, two of whom are living, viz.: Samuel H. and Eliza C. The deceased are: Mary J. and Margaret S. The others died in infancy. He lived on the home place eleven years, then removed to a farm south of Maineville, and finally to the home occupied at this time by his widow. During his business career he was largely engaged in dealing in stock, and was one of the best farmers in the township. He was a large, portly man, and when in health weighed 350 pounds. He was a consistent and exemplary member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
The last five years of his life were years of continual suffering, but he managed his business up to within a few days of his death, and was ready for the fell destroyer when he came, and calmly fell into that sleep which knows no waking Aug 19, 1881. The father of Mrs. F. was married to Jane POLLOCK, who died at the age of 23 years. They were parents of three children - all deceased.
His second marriage was celebrated with Margaret LIGGETT, Jan. 13, 1813, and to them were born nine children, and Mrs. F. is the only surviving one. He engaged in farming in which he continued in until his death. He and his estimable wife were members of the Presbyterian Church, to which they belonged for a term of years. [Source: "History of Warren County, Ohio": Chicago W. H. Beers & Co. about 1882, pg. 945]
RICHARD FORD, farmer, P. O., Morrow. Richard FORD, the subject of our sketch, was born in Hamilton Township, Warren Co., O., on Oct. 28, 1812. He was the son of Henry and Susan Ford, who were among Warren Co.'s first settlers. Richard was reared on a farm, and received his education in a district school. He was married Jan. 7, 1834 to Cynthia L. LUDLUM. To them have been born three children, viz: Margaret L., Smith M., and Rebecca E. He has been successful in business, and is at present the owner of 100 acres of tillable land. Smith M., Mr. Ford's only son, was reared on a farm till he arrived at the age of 13, at which age he attended the Mai neville Academy, from whence he went to Delaware University at the age of 16, and graduated with honors in his 20th year. He was a teacher in the Female Academy of Xenia in 1866. He is a talented speaker, and very successful in business matters. [Source: "History of Warren County, Ohio": Chicago W. H. Beers & Co. about 1882, pg. 945]
FORD, Samuel D.
SAMUEL D. FORD, farmer, P. O. Morrow, was born in Hamilton Co., O. in 1823, and is a son of Elijah and Jerusha (KIBBEY) FORD. He (Elijah) was born in Delaware,20Aug 6., 1782, and was a son of Richard FORD, who, with two brothers, emigrated from England to America about the year 1774 or 1775, and settled either in Virginia or Maryland. All went into the war on the American side and fought throughout that lengthy struggle. Richard was married to Mary GILLS, who bore him five children viz: Henry, born Nov. 15, 1780; Elijah (date above); Jonathan, born June 12, 1784; Amelia, born June 10, 1786; Joseph, born March 29, 1797. Mary, wife of Richard, died Jan. 8, 1808. In 1809, he started for Ohio and on the road was accidently killed by being run over by his loaded wagon. The family came on and settled in this township, where all lived and died, except Joseph, who died in Putnam Co., O. Elijah was married to Jerusha KIBBY, Aug. 8, 1811. Twelve children were born to them, viz: Phoebe, born Aug. 13, 1813, married John FOREMAN; Richard, born April 2, 1814, married Elizabeth McFERREN; Julia, born Feb. 24, 1817; married William PENQU ITE; Jemima, born March 16, 1818; married James McFERREN; Ephriam, born Dec. 1, 1820, married Sophia CLINE; Sarah A., born May 13, 1821; Samuel D., born May 31, 1823, married Margaret E. WELLS, Sept. 1, 1850; Married P., born Oct. 11, 1824; Claudius W., born March 1, 1826, married Elizabeth HALE, his second wife's name not known; John P., born Oct. 11, 1827, married Emma HEWITT; Mary E., born Jan. 27, 1831, married _____MOON; Elijah Ford, died Jan 19, 1831; his wife died Feb 26, 1843.
Mr. Ford made a permanent home in the county and was a successful business man. Joseph KIBBEY, father of Mrs. Ford, was one of the first settlers in Ohio, having located in Columbia near Cincinnati when Indians were plenty, where he was made Captain of a Company of Home Guards. He was a man of Herculean strength and undaunted courage, and once when challenged by an English officer to mortal combat and asked to name the place and time, he replied, "Here is the place, now is the time," and handed one of the two pistols that lay on a table to the Englishman. The latter became unnerved by the coolness of the Captain and "wilted," whereupon was immediately knocked down with the butt of the pistol, in the hands of the brave Captain.
Our subject was reared in Warren Co., to which he came when six years old, and here he has resided since. To him and his wife were born seven children, four living, viz: Sarah A., James H., Adella and Jerusha E.; the deceased are Edward G., Ida J., and David F. Mrs. Ford died March 15, 1871; was born in Warren Co., Jan. 4, 1825, and was a daughter of Z. WELLS, of Virginia, who was an early settler in this county. Our subject owns 66 3/4 acres of well improved land. [Source: "History of Warren County, Ohio": Chicago W. H. Beers & Co. about 1882, pg. 945]
Among the most fertile and productive regions of this country is the renowned Wabash valley in Indiana. Nature there has enriched the soil with every element of fruitfulness, and seems to have pleasure also in suiting the climate with generous hand to its advantage, making the seasons just as they should be for the best results, retarding the approach of winter until the crop is ripened and harvested, yet not withholding the benignant smiles of spring too long for their proper planting. And the population that inhabits this region is in keeping with its munificence. After its first wild condition was transformed to one of comeliness and salubrity, its bounty to the toil of the husbandman became impressively apparent, and men grew broad, progressive and forceful in consonance with the conditions around them, so that now the region is a continuous succession of highly cultivated farms with stirring marts of commerce and industrial productions at frequent intervals, and is rich in schools and colleges, churches and libraries, hospitals and asylums, and all the other concomitants of cultivated life. It was in this region, at Crawfordsville, Montgomery county, that J.M. Kelsey, one of the esteemed farmers and apiarists of Montrose county, this state, was born, reared, learned farming and practiced the art for more than half a century. His life began in 1826, and he is the son of Edward and Eliza (Miboer) Kelsey and the third of their family of seven sons. His father was a native of Ohio, born near Springboro, Warren county, and settled near Crawfordsville, Indiana, in 1825, among the first hardy adventurers who occupied that section and who laid the foundations of its present prosperity. He remained there, a well-to-do farmer and a leading citizen until his death in 1859, at the age of sixty-seven. In politics he was an uncompromising Democrat of the old school, and in church connections a Methodist. His parents were old Ohio pioneers, and he and his family helped to repeat on the soil of Indiana the triumphs the had aided in winning on that of Ohio. The mother was a native of Wales, daughter of Jacob and Rhoda Miboer, and accompanied her parents from that country to this in her childhood. They lived awhile in New Jersey, then moved to Ohio where she grew to womanhood and was married. She died in Indiana in 1877, at the age of seventy-four, having seen two states of that section of the country redeemed from barbarism and grow to greatness within the short space of her life. Mr. Kelsey's early years were passed on the paternal homestead in whose labors he took his part as a boy and a young man. He attended the schools of the neighborhood, acquiring a fair degree of book knowledge and a substantial equipment of common sense and practical utility under the ministrations of the typical "Hoosier Schoolmaster," and at the age of twenty-one began farming in his native county for himself, and soon after was married and doubtless felt that he was established for life among his own people. He rose to influence in local affairs, served the county well as sheriff, filled with credit other county offices, and was regarded as one of the substantial yeomen of his district on whom its present safety and future hopes depended. For fifty-three years and longer he lived on that same farm and concentrated his efforts on its improvement and development and built up there a profitable agricultural business. In 1880 he sold the farm and his other real property, and came to the mountains of Colorado to prospect and mine for the precious metals. He followed this interesting but uncertain occupation for six years in the vicinity of Ouray and Telluride, and located a number of promising claims. He then turned again to the vocation of his former years, purchasing the place on which he now resides and giving himself up to its improvements and the development of the general farming industry which he started on it and which he conducted until about 1884. At that time he conceived the idea that there was room in this locality for the cultivation of bees and the production of honey on a large scale, and with all the ardor of a man of strong convictions he went into that business. He has confined his efforts mainly to the Italian breeds of bees and since the inauguration of his enterprise in this line has handled more than four hundred colonies of their best and most vigorous workers. In politics Mr. Kelsey was in early life an ardent Democrat; but being at heart in earnest opposition to slavery, he joined the Republican party at its organization and cast his vote in 1860 to Lincoln for President. Since coming to Colorado he has trained with the Populists, and while not an active partisan in the sense of seeking or desiring office, has given the principles and candidates of that party effective support. For many years he has been an enthusiastic Odd Fellow, holding membership in Crawfordsville Lodge, No. 29, of the order. In 1847 he was married to Miss Mercuria Harlan, who was born and reared on the farm adjoining that of his father in Indiana, the daughter of George and Ruth (Gregg) Harlan, natives of Ohio who settled in that portion of Indiana in 1825, about the time the Kelseys did. Her father was a farmer of note in his day and locality, and an influential Whig and Republican in politics. Mrs. Kelsey is still living and has reached the age of seventy-three. They have had four children, Josephine; Hortense, who died in Indiana and was buried in the Masonic cemetery in Montgomery county; Eva; and Ruth E., who died after the arrival of the family in Colorado and is buried at Montrose. (Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Kim Mohler)
JACOB KESLING, a leading citizen of Perry Township, is a native of Warren County, Ohio, where he was born July 6, 1820, being the fifth in a family of eleven children born to Peter and Laura (Griffis) Kesling, who were natives of Rockingham County, Virginia, and the Province of Wales, respectively. Their marriage occurred in Warren County, from whence they moved to Preble County, the same State, where they lived for a number of years. They emigrated to Indiana and Miami County about 1836, settling in Perry Township, of which they continued residents until their deaths. Our subject was reared on the farm, remaining at home with and assisting his parents until he attained the age of about twenty-one, when he commenced life's battle for himself. He had acquired a limited education in the primitive log school houses of his time. April 4, 1847, his marriage with Catharine Haacken was solemnized, and to their union this one child was born: Andrew J., born December 21, 1848, and died September 7, 1853. Mrs. Kesling was born August 5, 1822, the daughter of John H. and Catharine Haacken. Our subject has always made farming his occupation and he has been very successful. He now owns a fine farm of 264 acres, which is under a high state of cultivation. In politics he has always been a Democrat. Though he has frequently been importuned to run for some political position, he has persistently refused.[Source: "History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present..." By Brant & Fuller, Chicago - Contributed by Barb Zigenmeyer]
MACY, E.L. and J.G.
E. L. and J. G. MACY, farmer and mechanic; P. O. Harveysburg (Massie township). One among the prominent and early pioneer families of Harveysburg, was the Macy family, and their descendents constitute a large number of families in Harveysburg and vicinity at the present time. They have a very complete genealogy of the family from its first location in the United State published in book form, and from it we find they have multiplied and extended until they are found in twenty-two states of the Union, and in 1868 there were then living 1,240 souls; deceased since their settling in the United States, 851; unknown, 17; total, 2,108. the progenitor of this now so memorous family was Thomas MACY, born in Wiltshire Co., England; emigrated to America about 1635, and became one of the first settlers of Newbury, Mass.; residing there but a few years, he removed to Salisbury, Mass., and was one of the original settlers of that town. Mr. Macy was a man of sterling character, possessed of great energy and determination of will; he held many positions of honor and trust in this new settlement; was a merchant, a planter, one of the selectmen of the town, a juryman, and withal a preacher; he was of the Baptist persuasion, and would frequently on the Sabbath exhort the people. Mr. Macy resided at Salisbury until 1659, when the persecution of the Quakers, Baptists, and others became so intolerant that he would endure it no longer, and he, with nine others, purchased the island of Nantucket, and in September of October of above year, he with his family embarked in a small sail boat in Boston Bay, rounded Cape Cod, and sailed direct for the Island. This Island as then inhabited by about 3,000 Indians. There he, with a few others, settled, braving all danger to secure a free altar and a safe home, and thereby transmit to his descendents the seeds of true liberty and pure religion.
Thomas Macy married Sarah HOPCOTT, who was born in England in 1612; he died on the Island of Nantucket April 19, 1682, aged 74 years; she died in 1706, aged 94 years. They had three sons and four daughters, of whom, John Macy, the sixth child, and second son, was born in Salisbury, Mass., July 14, 1655; married Deborah GARDNER, who was born Feb. 12, 1658; he died at Nantucket Oct. 14, 1691; she died in 1712. They had four sons and four daughters, of whom, John, the eldest child, was born at Nantucket, about 1675, married Judith WORTH, born Dec 22, 1689; he died at Nantucket Nov 28, 1751; she died Nov. 8, 1767. They had seven sons and six daughters, of whom David, the fifth child and fourth son, was born at Nantucket Sept 12, 1714; married Dina GARDNER; he died at New Garden, N. C.; they had two sons and five daughters, of whom David, the second child, and the grandfather of Edward L. and Nathan D. Macy of Harveysburg, was born at Nantucket about 1743; emigrated to North Carolina about 1770, and married Hannah WHITE; his sister, Abigail, married Benjamin STANTON, and was the grandmother of the late Edwin M. Stanton, Secretary of War under the administration of President Lincoln.
David died in Guilford Co., N.C., about 1792; his widow married Matthew COFFIN, and died in Indiana. David and Hanna Macy had four sons and two daughters, of whom David, the second son and the father of Edward L. and Nathan D. Macy, was born at Guilford Co., N.C., May 26, 1784; married Sarah DIX July 8, 1807; emigrated to Ohio, and located in Warren Co. in the spring of 1816; he died Nov 14, 1863; his wife, Sarah, died Oct 2, 1866; they had seven children -- Micajah T., born in North Carolina May 15, 1808, died at Harveysburg Dec. 2, 1828; William, born in North Carolina Nov. 18, 1809; Zalinda L., born in North Carolina Aug. 11, 1811; Nathan D., born in North Carolina July 20, 1813; Edward L., born in Clinton Co., Ohio, Jan 9, 1816; Milton T., born in Warren Co., Ohio, Nov. 25, 1817; and Abigail F., born in Warren Co., Feb. 24, 1824, died at Harveysburg, Nov 1, 1864.
Mr. David Macy was a saddler by trade, and among the early settlers of Massie Township. When he came here he purchased a farm, where he continued to work at his trade; thence he removed to Harveysburg, and was associated with William Harvey in laying out the town; here he continued in business at his trade until his death. Mr. Macy was a man of undoubted integrity, unassuming in his habits, never seeking or holding office, but was one of those solid, substantial men who make the kindest of neighbors and best of citizens of every community; he was a worthy member of the Society of Friends, and an elder in the same for many years.
William Macy, son of David and Sarah Macy, married Phebe BOWER, issue five children: Edward T., Zalinda A., Mary E., Priscilla and David W. Mrs. Macy died Dec 28, 1851. Nathan D. Macy married Mary SCROGGY, issue two daughters -- Sarah, now Mrs. W. LUKENS; and Elizabeth, now Mrs. William COLLETT. Mrs. Macy died June 14, 1842. On Dec 8, 1848, Mr. Macy married for his second wife, Eliza GILPIN, issue three children -- Mildred, John G., and Edmond A. Milton T. Macy married Caroline M. WALES; she died Aug 30, 1844, leaving no issue. On June 28, 1849, Mr. Macy married Mrs. Eliza J. KING, issue three children -- DeElla Alzora, Emma C., and Charles T. Mr. Macy and family now reside in Nebraska.
The greater portion of the children and grandchildren of the pioneers, David and Sarah Macy, still reside in Harveysburg and vicinity and are among their most worthy citizens. They are retiring in their habits, desiring no offices or public notoriety, but possess a high moral standard, intelligent, social and congenial, constituting them excellent members of society in the communities where they live. [Source: "History of Warren County, Ohio": Chicago W. H. Beers & Co. about 1882, Page 1008-9]
McFERREN, Samuel H.
SAMUEL H. McFERREN, farmer, P. O. Hopkinsville, is a son of James and Margaret McFerren. He was born in South Carolina ; she in Ireland, and when four years old emigrated with her parents to this country, and was six months on the voyage. They were married in South Carolina, and in 1813 emigrated to Warren County on horseback, and brought with them one child. When he landed here he had thirteen dollars in money, and the first season he worked for eight dollars per month and boarded himself. He was a shoemaker and his evenings were devoted to plying his trade. By economy and industry he succeeded, after years of toil, in accumulating a good property - about 734 acres of land - 300 of which was in Harlan Township, Warren County, 230 in Brown co., O., and 204 in the home farm.
To them were born eleven children, nine living, viz: William, John, Elizabeth A., Mary, Andrew, Margaret J., Alexander, Nancy and Samuel. The deceased are James and Allen, both of whom died leaving families. Mr. McFerren died March 20, 1866, aged 80 years. She died February 19, 1856, aged 56 years. Both were of Scotch-Irish descent. Mrs. Ellen McFerren, mother of James, ended her days in Ohio, with her son.
Our subject was born on the place where he lives January 4, 1838. He was married in 1862 to Mary A., daughter of Daniel QUIMBY, a native of Hamilton Co., O., who became a resident of Warren County. To them seven children have been born, four living, viz: Harry, Anna, Lillie, and Rosy. Margaret, Katie and Lizzie, deceased. He owns 159 acres of land in Survey=20 No. 1547. Katie, mother of Mrs. F., died in 1862, aged 54 years. She was the mother of two children, both living, viz: Nettie and Mary A. [Source: "History of Warren County, Ohio": Chicago W. H. Beers & Co. about 1882, pg. 952]
Jacob MORNINGSTAR, deceased, was born in Pennsylvania March 16, 1806. When but a boy, his parents moved to this county, where he passed his early life upon a farm. He was married, Aug 31, 1837, to Harriet BEARD, a daughter of Jacob and Susanna Beard; Mrs. Morningstar aws born in Montgomery County Aug. 30, 1813; of the four children that were given them, but two are living: Mary E., born July 20, 1841, wife of Edward SWARTZ; and Mary A., Born Jan. 11, 1850, wife of S. D. DAWSON; Sarah A. and an infant are deceased. Feb. 6, 1866, Mr. Morningstar departed this life, after a life of nearly threescore years; he left a farm of 287 acres, but a legacy far parmount to this -- an honorable name. [p. 812, The History of Warren County, Ohio: W. H. Beers & CO. Chicago: c. 1882 - Sub by FoFG]
JAMES W. MOUNTS, farmer, P. O. Morrow, was born in this township, and is a son of Providence and Isabelle Mounts (see sketch of William C. Mounts). He was reared on the farm, and in the district schools received an ordinary education. In 1865 he was married to Elizabeth DAVIS of Union co., Ind., who has bore him three children, viz: Harry, Catherine and Eugene. In 1862 he enlisted in the 4th Iowa Cavalry, Co. A, and took part in the battles of Vicksburg, Pittsburg Landing, Franklin, and many others of lesser note. Was first Sergeant of his Company, and was honorably discharged in 1865. He resided in Iowa eight years previous of the war. He owns 100 acres of land, which is in an excellent sate of cultivation and well improved. [Source: "History of Warren County, Ohio": Chicago W. H. Beers & Co. about 1882, pg. 953]
LINDSEY MOUNTS, farmer, P. O., Morrow, was born near Morrow, July 25, 1825, and is a son of Watson and Nancy (LINDSEY) Mounts. He (Watson) was the youngest child of William Mounts, a pioneer of Warren Co. To Watson Mounts and his wife wer e born eleven children, viz: Rebecca, born in 1820; Providence, born in 1823; died in 1849; Lindsey (as above); Joseph, born in 1827; Leander, born in 1829; James, born in 1831; Dorcas, born in 1833; John H., born in 1835 and died in Feb. 1861; Gracy, born in 1837; Catherine, born in 1839; and William, who was born in 1840. He was born in Warren Co., in 1799; Nancy, his wife, was born in Kentucky in the same year. He died in May, 1875, and she departed this life in August, 1878; was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church 40 years. Our subject has been twice married, first to Sarah, a daughter of Phineas ROACH, February, 1855; she died June 7, 1855. His second marriage was celebrated June 10, 1856, with Angelina, daughter of Isaac and Hanna MIRANDA, and widow of Eli T. LUDLUM, by whom he has one child, viz: Albert C. Mrs. M. had three children by her first husband, viz: Marshall, Waldron and Hattie. In 1850 Mr. M. went overland to California where he resided three years, and since then has lived in the county. He owns 135 acres of excellent land, which is more than ordinarily improved. Mrs. Mounts was born in the county in 1825. [Source: "History of Warren County, Ohio": Chicago W. H. Beers & Co. about 1882, pg. 953]
MOUNTS, William G.
WILLIAM G. MOUNTS, farmer, P. O., Morrow, is another of the old, well known citizens of Warren Co. He was born in Hamilton Township in 1809, and is a son of Joseph Mounts, one of the pioneers, a mention of whom is made in the sketch of Alex. Mounts, in Union township's history. Our subject was brought up on the farm and received only a limited education in the early subscription schools. He was married on the 6th day of Oct., 1833, to Susan, daughter of Joseph GREENE, who was b orn in Cincinnati. After his marriage he located on the farm where he has since lived. Four children were born to them, viz; Joseph, Elizabeth, Phoebe and William. Mrs. Mounts departed this life Jan. 14, 1870, aged 54 years, 6 months and 1 day.
He owns upward of 300 acres of land, which is largely in cultivation and well improved. He has been an exemplary member of the Methodist Episcopal Church since he was 16 years old, and is a genial, whole-souled and Christian gentleman. His son William enlisted in 1864 in Co. F., 146 O. N. G., served his time and was honorably discharged. He was married Oct. 8, 1872 to Susan A., daughter of Dr. COTTLE of Maineville, by whom he has three children, viz: Pearl, Mabel and Lucius. Mrs. M. was born in the county in 1846 and departed this life Aug. 2, 1811. William M. was born on the old home farm in 1844. [Source: "History of Warren County, Ohio": Chicago W. H. Beers & Co. about 1882, pg. 954]
MOUNTS, William P.
WILLIAM P. MOUNTS, County Commissioner and farmer, P. O., Morrow. The subject of this sketch was born on the place where he lives Aug. 30, 1823, and is a son of Providence and Isabelle (SMITH) MOUNTS, who were born in Kentucky in the year 1795. He (Providence) was a son of William and Catherine Mounts, early pioneers of Warren Co., who settled here about 1796. Providence Mounts and Isabelle Smith were married in Warren Co., and she was a daughter of James Smith, an early settler. To Mr. and Mrs. Mounts were born nine children, of whom seven are living, viz; Catherine, now Mrs. KIBBIE, William P., James W., Elizabeth, now Mrs. ROACH, Marshall, Lavenia, now Mrs. PECK and Rebecca, now Mrs. EAGLE. The deceased are Nancy (Mrs. HOPKINS), and Martha E.
Mr. Mounts was a successful businessman and accumulated a good property. In the War of 1812 he served for some time and was only 17 years of age. The subject of this sketch was reared on the farm and received a common school education. He remained with his parents on the farm until he had attained his majority, after which, being fond of travel, he visited various parts of the country. Sept. 27, 1865, he was married to Henrietta Van DUSEN of Newport, Ky., after which event he located on the farm where he has since lived. In politics he has always been a Republican, and was elected one of the County Commissioners in 1874, and has since been twice re-elected, and now (1881) has two years of his last term to serve. He has also been Trustee of Hamilton Township, and his executive ability is of the recognizable type and thoroughly established in Warren Co.
To Mr. and Mrs. Mounts five children have been born, viz: Ulysses G., Gracie, Cora, Van and Providence. He owns 280 acres of the best land in the township, and his home farm is elegantly improved and beautifully situated, and as farm property has not an equal in the county, and reflects much credit on its owner. [Source: "History of Warren County, Ohio": Chicago W. H. Beers & Co. about 1882, pg. 953]
OWENS, JOSEPH P.
Ohioans Located in County in 1887
Back in 1887, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph P. Owens came to Wilbarger County (TX) from Ohio to make their home. They located at few miles west of the present site of Fargo. At that time the village of Fargo was not in existence and the neighbors of Mr. and Mrs. Owens were few and far between in that locality of the county. While a citizen of the county, Mr. Owens devoted his time to farming and stock raising. Owing to the wheat failures in this county in the early nineties, Mr. Owens left Texas and in later years died in his native state, Ohio. Mrs. Owens, who was Miss Ladora Scoville before marriage, was also born in Ohio. She and their daughter, Mrs. Frederick J. (Bessie) Wendt, survived Mr. Owens at his death. In furnishing the publishers a biographical sketch of the family for this book, Mrs. Owens, who lives at Lebanon, Ohio, recalling early day incidents of their life in Wilbarger County, wrote: "I recall I presided at the organ at the first Sunday School organized at Doans. C. F. Doan led the singing and also at different times accompanied on a cornet." She recalled witnessing thousands of head of cattle cross Red River which were being driven up the Western Trail for the northern markets. On another occasion, she remembered a thrilling camping and fishing experience she had with friends and neighbors in Oklahoma. The state at that time was known as the Indian Territory and she said they camped on the present site of Lawton, Okla. "The Indians were camped all around us," she said, "and we witnessed the government agents issuing beef out to them." [Source: Charles P. Ross, "Early-day History of Wilbarger County". Vernon, Tex: Vernon, Times, 1933; transcribed by Susan Geist]
CORNELIUS POWERS, [Class of 1851] born Plainfield, Vt., Dec. 26, 1817. In 1838 came to Milan, O., working there at the shoemaker’s trade. Next he went to Cook Corners, O., and bought a farm, but after five years determined to have an education and came to Oberlin, 1847, entered the freshman class. He paid his way while in college by working at his trade and teaching; graduated in 1851, and was soon married to Minerva Crosby, of Oberlin. He taught for six months at Hartford, O., but determined to preach and came back to the seminary. After about a year and a half his health failed and he was compelled to give up study. 1853, purchased a farm in Franklin where he lived for eighteen years; 1873, returned to Oberlin and lived on a farm east of town until his death, Aug. 5, 1897. [Source: Necrology Oberlin College For The Year 1897-8., Transcribed by: Helen Coughlin]
SCHENCK, Benedict G.
Benedict G. SCHENCK, farmer; P. O. Franklin; son of Garrett and Mary P. (PLUME) SCHENCK; was born in Franklin Oct. 16, 1818. He was educated in the common schools of the village. In 1836, he entered the Pleasant Hill Academy, north of Cincinnati, now known as College Hill; he attended three years, then returned to Franklin and entered his brother-in-law's general store, where he remained two years. He was married in 1841 to Phoebe J., daughter of Dr. Benjamin and Willimpe DU BOIS, natives of Monmouth Co., N. J., who emigrated here about 1806; his grandfather, Rev. William SCHENCK, was born at Monmouth, N.J. in 1740, graduated at Princeton College and studied for the ministry under Dr. Dennant; he preached seven years at Freehold. N.J., was driven thence by the Revolution to Bucks Co. Penn; thence moved to Pittsgrove, N.J., where he preached eight years; from there he went to Ballston, N.Y., where he preached seven years; thence to Huntington L. I., where he remained twenty-five years. Oct 20, 1817, he came to Franklin, where he died Sept. 1, 1823, at the ripe age of 83 years; his father was Ccourtinas SCHENCK, his mother Mary CONOVER.
Benjamin, youngest son of Dominie, Mr. Schenck's wife's father, was born in Monmouth Co., N.J., was married to Willimpe, daughter of Peter and Jane (WILLIAMSON) Van DORN; married Feb. 16, 1803; when a boy, he boarded for a time in the family of Peter VanDorn (afterward his father-in-law); attended school in an academy some three miles distant; finishing his course there, he then studied medicine under Dr. Timbrooke, it is supposed. He then attended medical lectures at New Brunswick, graduating and receiving diploma May 5, 1801; he also attended lectures in New York City, practiced medicine in New Jersey till 1805, when he emigrated to Franklin in company with his brother Daniel and wife, his sister Margaret and husband, and Tunis Vanderveer. They moved in farm wagons; upon reaching the Ohio River, they shipped on board flat-boats as far as Cincinnati, and were one month in reaching their destination. After living in Franklin two years, he bought a farm of 150 acres in Jersey Settlement, where he cleared a space and built a house, which is still standing; he had an extensive practice, two years previous to his death, which occurred Oct. 8, 1851, he gave up farming and built a reseidence on a lot adjoining, where he ended his days.
Benedict G., the subject of this sketch, after his marriage moved on his mother's farm, the old homestead south of Franklin. In 1851, he bought what is known as the old Craig farm, of 150 acres, where he cleared 35 acres. Now he has about 130 acres of it under cultivation.
Mr. Schenck and his wife have five daughters and three sons, the eldest Alexander D., is now First Lieutenant in the 2nd Heavy Artillery; their second son, Louis d., was killedon the farm by a landroller passing over him; William J. is engaged in Memphis, Tenn. in cotton seed oil business; Mary P., wife of Rev. J. C. EASTMAN, of Las Vegas, N. M.; Ellen M., wife of Edward NULL; Phoebe J., wife of Thomas E. STANTON; Alletta, wife of George VAN DYKE; and Lizzie F., now engaged in teaching school. [Source: "History of Warren County, Ohio": Chicago W. H. Beers & Co. about 1882, pg. 814]
SCHENCK, John C.
John C. SCHENCK, son of John N. C. and Sarah (TAPSCOTT) SCHENCK, was born in Franklin Sept 5, 1818. His father was one of the oldest pioneers of this county; he was here as early as 1796; built a cabin on the river bank between First and Second streets, where he kept a general store, going regularly once a year, on horseback, to Philadelphia to order goods, which were transported chiefly by wagon; he carried on his business till 1837. Part of the time he was Postmaster, the present Postmaster acting as his clerk; his son, James T., succeeded to his business. Our subject attended school till 18 or 19 years old.
He was married, in 1844, to Elizabeth F., daughter of Zebulon and Amy BARKALOW, born in this township; they had five children, four living, born in the order in which they are named: Mary, John, James and Lucy. His wife died Dec 9, 1857, and he again married, Oct. 24, 1861, to Ione, daughter of George W. and Lydia M. HOLBROOK, born in Wapakoneta Oct. 25, 1839. They have four children -- George W., Sarah, Franklin, and Christopher C..
After his marriage, Mr. Schenck received 237 acres of land from his father, on part of which he built his residence and has lived ever since; he has been engaged in a variety of enterprises in this town, being engaged quite extensively in the pork-packing business about twenty years; had a malt house ten years, and was engaged considerably in buying and shipping grain and lumber, running a line of canal boats to Toledo and Cincinnati; he was also engaged in the dry goods and grocery business several years. In the fall of 1881, he sold his residence and remainder of his estate to the Perrine Paper Mills, in which he is a stockholder; he has 30 acres of land below the Franklin Paper Mills, a brick house on the bank of the canal, and 1 acres of land on the east side of Canal. [Source: "History of Warren County, Ohio": Chicago W. H. Beers & Co. about 1882, Page 815]
Joseph STANTON, farmer, P. O. Springboro, born in Dinwiddie Co., Va., Aug 6, 1812. It is well established that James Stanton, born in Virginia in 1690, was a grandson of the first progenitor, who settled there in 1640. James was the father of eight children of whom Sampson Stanton was the grandfather of our subject, and was born in Virginia Aug. 7, 1736; he married Ruth WINBURN, by whom he had thee sons and one daughter -- James, born Jan 9, 1771, died July 18, 1827; John, born Sept. 28, 1772, died April 1, 1827; Sarah, born March 20, 1774; died April 13, 1813; and Daniel, born May 25, 1776, died April 13, 1806. John was the father of our subject; was married, in Virginia, to Lydia BUTLER, a daughter of John Butler, a antive of Virginia, who lived and died in his native State; by this union they had nine children; six grew to maturity -- Elizabeth, Jonathan, Edna, Deborah, Joseph and Mary, all now deceased but the subject of this sketch, who when his father died, was about 15 years of age. In the spring of 1828, he with his brother Jonathan came to Ohio and located in Warren County; here he grew to manhood. On Feb 1, 1837, he was united in marriage with Catherine A., daughter of James and Ann (JONES) STANTON, he a native of Virginia and she of North Carolina. The grandparents were James and Ann Stanton. The maternal grandparents were Lemuel and Catherine Jones, both in North Carolina, who lived and died in their native state. The parents of Mrs. Stanton (James and Ann), came to Ohio in the fall of 1825, and in the spring of 1826, located on the place where our subject now resides and here lived till their death; he died Jan. 3, 1852; his wife died May 22, 1844; they had three children -- William R., now residing in Michigan; Catherine Ann, and Deborah J., who married Samuel LLOYD and now resides in Kansas. Catherine Ann was born in Virginia Jan 27, 1820.
Mr. Stanton and wife have had six sons and six daughters. eight now living -- Lydia B., married Walter MOORE and resides in Washington Co., Ind.; John F. married Emily HADLEY and resides in Indianapolis; Elizabeth, now Mrs. Charles F. CHAPMAN; Thomas E., married Phoebe Jane SCHENK; Mary Emma; William Edward married Juliet KEEVER and is a practicing physician at Ridgeville; Ellen J., and Walter C., who reside at St. Paul, Minn.
Mr. Stanton's married life has all been spent in Clear Creek Township; he bought and located upon the place where he now lives in the spring of 1852, where he has since resided; this was the old home place of Mrs. Stanton's father, where he settled in 1826. Mr. Stanton's father, James Stanton, was a strong Abolitionist and rendered assistance to the slave to gain his freedom wherever it was possible to be obtained. [Source: "History of Warren County, Ohio": Chicago W. H. Beers & Co. about 1882, pg. 928]
STANTON, Joseph D.
Joseph D. STANTON, farmer; P. O. Franklin; was born in Waynesville Aug. 16, 1826. He is a son of Lemuel and Martha (DENSON) STANTON, the former a native of Dinwiddie Co., Va., born Dec. 14, 1790, and the latter of Prince George Co., Va., was born July 5, 1795. Mr. Stanton died March 20, 1863, and Mrs. Stanton May --, 1826. They came to Wayne Township in 1825. Mr. Stanton served as Sergeant's Mate in the last war with Great Britain. Our subject was raised on a farm and obtained his education in the district schools.
He was married, Sept 6, 1854, to Phoebe A., daughter of Daniel and Francinchy DU BOIS, born in Montgomery county May 22, 1831; three children were given to bless this union, viz.: Anna M., born Sept 10, 1855; John D., born Feb. 3, 1859; and Daniel L., born Dec 13, 1865. Soon after Mr. Stanton's marriage, he removed to Madison Co., Ill, where he lived till 1868, when he removed to Springboro, this county, and in 1872, located on his present farm.
They are members of the Presbyterian Church of Franklin. Politically, Mr. Stanton is a Republican. He has served as Superintendent of the Franklin Union Free Turnpike five years. He owns a farm of 40 acres on Sec. 36, with good improvements. [Source: "History of Warren County, Ohio": Chicago W. H. Beers & Co. about 1882, pg. 816]
STEVENSON, Joshua W.
JOSHUA W. STEVENSON, section 29, a native of Warren County, Ohio, was born December 7, 1843, his parents being George and Charlotta Stevenson, nee Ward, who were also born in Ohio. Joshua accompanied them to Randolph County, Indiana, in 1852, where he was reared, attending the common schools during the winter months. September 1, 1861, he enlisted in the Thirty-sixth Indiana Infantry, and was in the service for eighteen months, participating in several important battles, among which were Perryville and Murfreesboro; he was wounded at Stone River, Tennessee. After being honorably discharged February 26, 1863, he returned to Randolph County, where he was engaged in farming for seven years. In 1870, Mr. S. emigrated westward and settled in Nodaway County, Missouri, where he was occupied in tilling the soil for two years, after which he came to Atchison County. In the spring of 1872, he settled on his present place in Dale Township, and now has in his possession 239 acres of valuable land, all fenced, and a most excellent orchard of 184 apple, and some 800 bearing peach trees. Mr. Stevenson was married December 9, 1865, in Randolph County, to Miss Nancy E. Botkin, who died November 11, 1866. He was again married November 14, 1869, in Randolph County, to Miss Rachel A. Hunt, daughter of Miles Hunt. Mr. and Mrs. Stevenson have two children: George Tipton born November 21, 1871, and Mary Emma, born January 30, 1874. Mr. S. is a Republican in politics. [The History of Holt and Atchison Counties, Missouri; St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by K. Mohler]
WALKER, Andrew J.
ANDREW J. WALKER, farmer, P. O. Murdock, was born on the old home farm in the year 1815, and is a son of Samuel Walker, a pioneer; was reared on the farm, and received a common education in the district schools. He was married in 1839 to Leah, daughter of Isaac PHILLIPS, an early settler in this county. Since his marriage he has lived on the place where he now resides, and has prospered. He and his wife are members of the Bethel Church to which he has belonged fifty years. He was Deacon of the church from 1840 to 1881, at which time he was elected a Ruling Elder. To Mr. and Mrs. W. nine children were born, eight living, viz.: Cynthia, Hannah L., Sarah R., LaFayette (who is a minister in the Presbyterian Church), Edward S., Isaac N., Vira and James L.; an infant, deceased. Mr. W. owns 112 acres of excellent land which is well improved. Five of his children are members of the Bethel Church, which is a source of gratification to their aged parents. [Source: "History of Warren County, Ohio": Chicago W. H. Beers & Co. about 1882, pg. 959, Submitted by "A Friend of Genealogy"]
SAMUEL WALKER, farmer, P. O., Maineville, is another of the old and well known settlers, a native of the township in which he lives; is a son of Samuel B. Walker; was rearedon the farm, and a limited education was all he got in the district, a subscription school. He was married to Mary A. BIGHAM in 1839, seven children being the result of their union, viz: John B., Alexander G., (who was a member of Co. I, 2nd O V I. He enlisted in 1861; served nearly two years, and was killed at Murfreesboro ); Luther and Sarah; three are deceased, viz: Hannah A., Gilbert, and Newton. Mrs. W. died in 1851. His second marriage was celebrated with Anna HOPKINS in 1852; four children have been born to them, viz: Allen T., William H., Pluma A. and James. Mr. W. has lived in the county all his life and has been successful in his undertakings. [Source: "History of Warren County, Ohio": Chicago W. H. Beers & Co. about 1882, pg. 959]
WALKER, Thomas D.
THOMAS D. WALKER, farmer, P. O., Murdock. The above gentleman is a son of Samuel B. WALKER, who was born in Franklin co., Pa., in 1779 or 1780. Samuel B. was a son of Samuel and Isabelle (BRICE) Walker, of the above county. He purchased 1,000 acres of land in this township in 1798, but did not settle on this purchase until 1802. With Samuel B. came his two sisters, Esther and Margaret, who were the respective wives of Isaac and Colen SPENCE, who also settled in Hamilton Township. The father of our subject was married in 1804 to Hannah SPENCE of Scott Co., Ky., after which he settled on his portion of the land that was purchased in 1798, which he cleared up, and it became his home. He was Justice of the Peace for two terms, being first elected in 1810, and served eight or ten months in the War of 1812 under Capt. Simonton. In 1824 he became a member of the Bethel Church, of which he was treasurer for fifteen years before his death. His wife was an active member in the same church from its organization in 1814. Mr. W. was a surveyor of some note. To him were born ten children, four of whom are living, viz: John S., Samuel, Andrew J., and Thomas D. The deceased are: Sarah, Isabelle, James, William H., George W. and Margaret J. Mr. Walker died Dec. 6, 1845. She departed this life Feb. 4, 1851.
Our subject was reared on the farm, and remained with his parents until of age. March 4, 1854, he was married to Eliza A. CHANEY of Clermont Co., Ohio. After his marriage he lived eight years on the old home farm, when he came to his present place of residence. He and his wife are members of the Bethel Church to which he has been connected forty years, and as deacon of the same for twenty years. He owns 117 acres of excellent land, which is nicely improved; in everything Mr. Walker is a representative man.[Source: "History of Warren County, Ohio": Chicago W. H. Beers & Co. about 1882, pg. 958]
W. H. WALKER, deceased, was born on the old home farm in 1819, and was a son of Samuel B. Walker, a pioneer. He was reared on the farm, and in the district schools he fitted himself to teach. Some yers before his death he left the farm, which he had carried on by others, and he opened a store in Murdock. He was a generous, kind-hearted man, and was always very kind to the poor, and his death was universally regretted by all. He was twice married, first to Sarah J. MILLSPAUGH, who bore him three children, viz: Maria, Margaret E., and Agnes J. Mrs. W. died in 1845. His second marriage was celebrated with Ellen WARD of Clermont Co., Ohio. He was a successful man and held some of the township offices, and was a Notary Public. He was a leading member in the Bethel church, of which he was Treasurer. He died June 2, 1873, leaving at his death 200 acres of land. Mrs. W. was born in Clermont Co., O., in 1824, and is a member of the Bethel Church. [Source: "History of Warren County, Ohio": Chicago W. H. Beers & Co. about 1882, pg. 958]