Ohio Genealogy Trails
Washington County,Ohio
- B -

Charles D Bailey
Is a native of Washington county, Ohio, born January 4, 1828. His parents are Emery and Sophronia (Maxon) Bailey; his father settled in this county in 1832; his mother is deceased. Mr. Bailey was married in Gallia county, Ohio, May 12, 1852, to Margaret Cherrington, who is a native of this county. Her parents are Pennel and Jenette (Johnston) Cherrington, the latter being deceased. The following are the children of Mr. Bailey: Thomas E., deceased; William H., deceased; Jimmie J., Jennie C., May B., Maggie P., Jessie E., Charles P., Johnnie M., and Vie P., deceased. Mr. Bailey is a member of the State board of agriculture, and he has been president of the county board for eighteen years. He is also at present of the board of education. He is engaged in farming and stock-raising in Gallipolis township, where he settled in 1832. His postoffice address is Gallipolis, Gallia county, Ohio. [History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c; James P. Averill; Hardesty & CO., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882]

Colonel Ebenezer Battelle
Col. Battelle was the only son of Ebenezer Battelle and was born at Dedham, Mass., and graduated from Cambridge College in 1775. He held a commission of Colonel under the Governor of Massachusetts in the Militia. He was one of the active partners in a book store in Boston for about six years. While here he was elected to the command of the ancient and honorable artillery Company, a noted band of military men, composed of officers of good standing and character. He became an associate in the Ohio Company and came to Marietta with Colonel May in the Spring of 1788 and his family came in November of the same year. During the following winter he became a member of the Belpre Association and in the Spring of 1789 proceeded to clear his land and erect a stout block house for the reception of his family. May 1st, Captain King was killed by Indians. The following day Col. Battelle, with two of his sons and Griffin Greene, Esq., embarked at Marietta in a large canoe, with farming tools, provisions, &c. On their way down they were hailed by some one from the shore and informed of this sad event. They landed and held a consultation on what was best to be done. Some were for returning; but they finally decided to proceed. The block-houses of these two emigrants were near each other, and nearly opposite the middle of Backus' Is land, on the spot afterwards occupied by Farmers Castle. After landing the other settlers joined them for mutual defense, and through the night kept up a military guard, in the old revolutionary style, the sentinel calling out every fifteen minutes "All's well" not thinking this would give the skulking Indians notice where to find them. No enemy, however, molested them during the night, and their fears of an attack gradually subsided.  Early in April, before any families had moved on to the ground, a party of officers from Fort Harmar, with their wives, and a few ladies from Marietta, made a visit to the new settlement in the officer's barge, a fine large boat, rowed with twelve oars. These were the first white females who ever set foot on the soil of Belpre. On their return Col. Battelle, with several others, accompanied them by water in a canoe, and another party by land. While on the voyage, a large bear was discovered swimming across the river. The landsmen fired at him with their muskets and rifles, but without effect. The canoe then ranged alongside, when Col. Battelle seized him by the tail and when the bear attempted to bite his hand, he raised his hind parts, throwing his head under water, and thus escaped his teeth. One of his companions soon killed him with an axe. He weighed over three hundred pounds and afforded several fine dinners to his captors.
In the plan of Farmers Castle his blockhouse occupied the north east corner. Col. Battelle was very much interested in Education and religion in the settlement. Both schools and religious services were held in a large room in his block house. He officiated as Chaplain when no clergy-man was present. Some times he gave a discourse of his own but oftener read a sermon of some eminent divine. He made Sunday respected and honored in the settlement. In the early years he was paid twenty dollars by the Ohio Company for his services as a religious teacher. He died in the home of his son at Newport, Ohio in 1815.  [A History of Belpre, Washington County, Ohio, by C. E. Dickinson, 1920, Transcribed by C. Anthony]

Silas Bent
Revolutionary Rank - Private, 1st and 2nd Lieutenant.
Born - Rutland, Massachusetts.
Died - Belpre, Ohio, 1818.
Revolutionary Service:  Private in Capt. Eustis' Company, which marched upon the Alarm of April 19th, 1775, for Cambridge, Mass., service 12 days. Also Ensign, Capt. Wheeler's Co-, Col. Doolittle's Regiment. Company return dated, Winter Hill, Oct. 6th, 1775. Also 1st Lieutenant, Capt. Thomas Barnes' Co., (5), Col. Nixon's 4th Regiment. Also receipt for money for enlisting recruits, dated Camp Mt. Washington, Sept. 27th, 1776. Also return of men in service, Sept. and Oct. 1776, dated North Castle.
Also receipts for wages for Oct., Nov. and Dec, 1776. Silas Bent and his wife, Mary Bent, came to Marietta in 1789. Remaining there one year, they removed to Belpre. They had a son, Daniel, whose home was in Belpre. Daniel Bent was four years old when he came to Marietta. Silas Bent is buried in Belpre and his grave will be marked by a Revolutionary marker by Marietta Chapter, D. A. R. References - Mass. Soldiers and Sailors; also Secretary of the Commonwealth, Boston, Massachusetts. [Revolutionary Soldiers Buried In Washington County, Ohio, 1923 - Transcribed by AFOFG]

Anselm T Blake
Was born in Washington county, Ohio, October 23, 1801, and came to this county with his parents, David and Martha (Dagett) Blake, in the year 1817. He located in Ohio township, where he is engaged in farming. Mr. Blake was married in Athens county, Ohio, December 10, 1826, to Hannah P. Trobridge, who was born in Fairhaven, Rutland county, Vermont, July 6, 1802. She is a daughter of Levi and Hannah (Smith) Trobridge. The following are the children of Mr. and Mrs. Blake: William D., born November 2, 1827, resides in Louisiana; Cincinnatus B., January 8, 1830, resides in Gallipolis; Harriet N., August 7, 1833, died May 14, 1858; Julia A., August 17, 1836, resides in Lawrence county, Ohio; Hannah D., June 29, 1839; resides in Gallipolis; Martha, June 2, 1846; resides in Gallipolis. Mr. Blake has held the office of township trustee for a number of years. He had two sons in the late war. Cincinnatus served two years and was discharged for disability. William enlisted for three years and was discharged on account of disability. The postoffice address is of Mr. Blake is Swan Creek, Gallia county, Ohio.  [History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c; James P. Averill; Hardesty & CO., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882.]

Adam Blazer
A prominent farmer and extensive stock-raiser of this county was born on the 10th day of July 1815. His parents were Phillip and Elizabeth (Kinsley) Blazer. They settled in Gallia county in 1805. The subject of this brief personal history was married to Mary Z. P. Warner on the 2d day of April, 1846, the Reverend Hiram R. Howe performing the ceremony which made them one for life. Mrs. Blazer was born at Point Harmer, Washington county, Ohio, July 6, 1826. From this union of hearts and hands, came five children, in the order given below: Warner, born January 31, 1847, still living in this county; Mary M., October 23, 1850; Arthur A., June 25, 1856; infant son, July 25, 1859, died July 25, 1859, and Hannah A., July 15, 1864. The parents of Mrs. Blazer were Anaximander and Lucretia (Porter) Warner. Her father was born in 1794, and died in Lee township, Athens county, Ohio, May 31, 1843. Her mother was born at Ashfield, Massachusetts, September 13, 1795, and died in this township, July 19, 1858. Mr. Blazer has been constable for two years, and held the office of supervisor for several terms. His postoffice address is Gallipolis, Ohio.  [History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c; James P. Averill; Hardesty & CO., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882.]

George Howe Bower
george bower
George Howe Bower was born September 19, 1892 in Belpre, Ohio, at the home of his grandfather, George A. Howe; and this first home, was ever the dearest spot on earth to him, loving the old farm with a true affection. He found keen enjoyment in everything connected with it and being a lover of nature, he "Found tongues in trees; books in the running brooks; Sermons in stones; and good in everything." It was in this home that the parents early had the little golden haired boy baptized and consecrated his life to the Master. While quite young he became a follower of Christ, and united with the Presbyterian Church at Sistersville, W. Va. Later when he came to make his home at Parkersburg, W. Va., he united with the Presbyterian Church of that city. He received most of his education in the Sistersville schools, graduating from the High School with high honors, at the age of eighteen years. His aspiration and plans were to continue his education at Harvard University; but the great Reaper scarcely permitted, the blossom of youth to burst into the flower of manhood, and he went to be with the Great Teacher. His was a wonderfully active mind, and he was, unusually well informed on the vital topics of the day, the best in literature art, and science. He was very fond also, of the biographies of our greatest writers thinkers, and inventors, reading only the worth-while books and magazines, those which contained food for thought. After graduation he was employed by the Standard Oil Company. He had a natural aptitude and capacity for business affairs and had his life been spared, he would without doubt, have climbed to the greatest heights of success. He took his initiatory degree in Masonry at the earliest possible opportunity—the day after he attained the age of twenty-one - when he became a member of Mt. Olivet Lodge, No. 3, A. F. and A. M. of Parkersburg, W. Va.
This seemed fitting, since his great, great, great grand father. General Rufus Putnam, was the first Grand Master of the Grand Lodge in the State of Ohio, at Marietta, Ohio, and his father, Mr. E. O. Bower was Grand Commander of the Knights Templar of W. Va. His maternal grandmother was a descendant of Col. John Wyatt of Revolutionary fame. His maternal grandfather George A. Howe, is one of the leading citizens of Washington County and a descendant of two of the oldest families in the Ohio Valley, numbering among his ancestors, General Rufus Putnam, Father of Ohio, and Perley Howe, who was one of the jurors who tried Aaron Burr for treason.
 It was no wonder then, since he had more than proved himself worthy of such noble ancestry, that his heart burned with patriotism at the call of President Wilson for Volunteers in our recent world's conflict, and was only kept from enlisting, by ill health. Endowed with a cheerful, generous, forgiving disposition, he made hosts of friends, and people in every walk of life, received the little helpful favors and sunny smiles which smoothed out many rough places in life, without his being conscious that he had done anything unusual.
"It's doing the little "extras." The things we're not asked to do; The favors that help one's brother, To trust in God and you. It's doing, I say, the "extras," The things not looked for, you know. That will bring us our King's kind notice,
A "well done," as on we go.  Coming in the very morning of life, and cutting short a career that had every promise of marked usefulness and success, his sudden failure in health and his death were a crushing sorrow to his hosts of friends to whom his memory will be filled with the fragrance which arises from the recollection of many loving deeds.
"We live in deeds, not years; in thoughts, not breaths; In feelings, not in figures on a dial. We should count time by heart-throbs; he most lives Who thinks most, feels the noblest, Acts the best." [A History of Belpre, Washington County, Ohio, by C. E. Dickinson, 1920, Transcribed by C. Anthony]

Major Robert Bradford
Major Robert Bradford was born at old Plymouth, Mass., in 1750. He was a lineal descendant of Governor Bradford, of about the fifth remove. His wife was Kezia Little, daughter of Captain Nathaniel Little, of Kingston, Mass. He entered early, and with all his heart, into the service of his country during the Revolutionary War, and for the larger part of that period commanded a company of light infantry. His military life commenced at the battle of Bunker Hill and ended with the Capture of Cornwallis at Yorktown, being actually engaged in nearly all the pitched battles fought in the middle and eastern states. With many other American Officers he received the gift of an elegant sword from Marquis LaFayette as a mark of his esteem.  When the Ohio Company was formed he became an associate and removed his family to Marietta in 1788, and removed to Belpre in 1789. He was associated with Colonel Battelle in the expedition which discovered the site of the Scioto sale spring. [A History of Belpre, Washington County, Ohio, by C. E. Dickinson, 1920, Transcribed by C. Anthony]

Major Robert Bradford
Born 1750, at Plymouth, Mass.|
Died 1822, at Belpre, Ohio.
Revolutionary Record. His service began with Bunker Hill and ended with the capture of Corn wallis. He saw active service in nearly all the battles fought in the northern and eastern states, retiring with the rank of Major. The Major was lineal descendant of Governor I Bradford. With many other American officers he was presented with a sword by Marquis Lafayette. He joined the Ohio Co. and came to Belpre in 1789- He was associated with Griffiths Green in discovering the Salt Springs on the Scioto. His wife was Keziah Little; with the exception of one, all of their children born prior to 1792 died in an epidemic of putrid sore throat at Farmers Castle. The children born after 1792 were Sarah, Robert, Samuel A. and Otis L. He is buried in the Ohio Company's burying ground at Belpre, O. Grave marked with Revolutionary marker by Marietta Chapter D. A. R., 1921.  Reference. Hildreth's History of Washington County. [Revolutionary Soldiers Buried In Washington County, Ohio, 1923 - Transcribed by AFOFG]

John Brough
Speech of John Brouggh at the Union Mass Meeting at Marietta, Ohio, June 10, 1863. Springfoeld, Ohio: Springfield Republic. 1863 Pamphlet. 8 ve p/pp.
 John Brough was one of the strongest characters in Ohio civil life during the momentous period of the war, and was the third and the greatest war governors of the State. He was born in Marietta, September 17, 1811. Was one of the leading Democratic editors of Ohio, owning and editing newspapers at Marietta and Lancaster up to 1835, when he was elected to the State Senate. In 1839 he was elected State Auditor; it was in this office he developed his executive and financial ability. He retired from this office in 1846 and founded the Cincinnati Enquirer. In 1848he entered the railroad business. He was a positive and patriotic Democrat and at the commencement of the Rebellion, he urged the obliteration of party lines, and supported the Union ticket in 1861, headed by David Tod - a war Democrat. The campaign of Ohio in 1863 was a critical and important one for the National Government. C. L. Vallandigham, an exile by decree of President Lincoln, was nominated for Govenor by the Democrats. Governor Tod was not acceptable to the Union Republican party, and the eyes of the state were turned to John Brough. A week after this speech was delivered he was nominated as Union Republican candidate for Governor. A life-long Democrat he championed Lincoln and the Union cause in the ever memorable campaign of 1863. Vallandigham represented practical disloyalty to the government. He was opposed to the prosecution of the war, favored peace witht he Southern Confederacy and cast his influence wholly agianst the administration of Mr. Lincoln, which at this stood for Union and Constitutional supremacy. The campaign was characterized by mingled feelings of enthusiasms and bitterness. Brough was an prator of great power and eloquence and conducted his canvass with strength qne qbility. He was elected by a plurality of 100,882. He died in office, August 29, 1865, at Cleveland, Oho. [The Civil War Literature of Ohio: A Bibliography With Explanatory And Historical Notes By Daniel Joseph Ryan and Charles Wells Reeder, 1911 - Transcribed By AFOFG]

Judge James Henry Brown
One of the distinguished lawyers, statesmen and jurists of Virginia, before the State was divided, is the subject of this brief biographical sketch. He is of English ancestry, and was the son of Benjamin Brown, a native of Virginia; was born in Cabell County, Virginia, December 20, 1818. His mother was a native of North Carolina, and was the daughter of Major Nathaniel Scales. He was educated at Marietta College, Ohio, and Augusta College, Kentucky, and from the latter well known institution he graduated in the class of 1840. In person he was tall (a little more than six feet) and was always, even in later life, as erect as an Indian. He was also sinewy and active. Up almost to the period of his last illness his step was as elastic as a man of forty, or even less. He read law under the direction of John Laidley, a prominent attorney of Cabell County, and in 1842, after two years of careful study of legal text books, he was admitted to membership of the Cabell County Bar, and promptly began the practice of his chosen profession. He was a natural orator, and it was not long until he took a leading rank as a superior advocate, and a forceful and effective trial lawyer. Desirous of a wider field of operations and better opportunities for development of his talents, he located at Charleston, Kanawha County, in 1848, where he spent the major portion of his life in the ardent practice of his profession. He was always regarded as a man of the highest sense of honor and probity; was thoroughly reliable in all his statements and dealings; was a hard student, and was a careful and honorable counselor. It is no wonder, therefore, that his clientele soon grew to large proportions. His practice was in both State and National courts, and covered all the branches of the law, and extended into all of the surrounding counties. He was universally regarded as an all around, able and successful lawyer. Judge Brown, though a Democrat, took an active stand for the Union in 1860 and '61, and was one of the leaders in the formation of the new Commonwealth of West Virginia; was a member of all the conventions looking to the building of the State; was elected a member of the Legislature of the Restored Government of Virginia, May 23, 1861, from Kanawha County, amid the turmoil of a divided county, and addressed many meetings when his hearers were armed for personal protection. He was an eloquent stump speaker and a fearless defender of his political faith. He became an ardent Republican and was a member of the Convention that framed the first Constitution of the State of West Virginia. In the winter of 1861 and '62 he was elected and commissioned Judge of the Eighteenth Judicial Circuit of Virginia. While acting in this capacity the records of his courts in several of the counties of his circuit, as fast as they were made, were captured and destroyed, and on several occasions he narrowly escaped the repeated efforts that were made to capture the Court. It is claimed, and we believe correctly, that no appeal from any of his decisions was ever taken to a higher court. As a judge he was courteous, firm and fearless. May 28, 1863, he was elected an Associate Judge of the Supreme Court of Appeals of the new State of West Virginia. On this court he exhibited the same firm and wise qualities as revealed by him on the bench of the nisi prius court. He served with great acceptability until the close of his term. He was by nature and education fitted for the law. He carried to a high degree the power of convincing statement. His opinions are models of good English. His supreme desire was to be just, and nothing could swerve him from doing right, as he was able to see the right. When he retired from the bench he returned to active practice, and kept it up until a short time before his death, which occurred at his home in Charleston, October 28, 1900.
 Judge Brown was twice a candidate for Congress, but his Congressional District, being strongly Democratic at that time, he was both times defeated, but he ran ahead of his ticket on both occasions. In 1882 he was elected a member of the Legislature of West Virginia, and took an active part in shaping the legislation of that session.
 In 1844 he married Miss Louise Beuhring and reared a large family. One of his sons — James F. Brown — is one of the ablest lawyers of the entire State. Judge Brown was an ardent member of the Presbyterian Church, and for about half a century was a ruling elder of that denomination. However, in matters of religion, he favored the largest liberty of conscience. He at all times had the implicit confidence of all people who knew him, and he was for a-half century one of the best known men of the Great Kanawha Valley.  Judge Brown late in life, and many years after the death of his first wife, married the widow of the late Fayette A. Lovell, who was in life a member of the Kanawha County Bar, and she survived him several years. They had no effspring. She too passed into the "Great Beyond " a few years subsequent to his demise. [Bench and Bar of West Virginia by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 - Transcribed by AFOFG]

John Brown
Born, 1734, Worcester, Mass.
Died, 1821, Adams Township, Washington County, Ohio.
 Buried on the Schantz farm about three miles above Lowell, Washington County, on the west side of the Muskingum, in an old cemetery beside his two wives, Rebecca and Elizabeth. The inscription on the tombstone states "He was a Revolutionary soldier." Grave marked with Revolutionary marker by Marietta Chapter D. A. R., 1922.  John Brown was in the Battle of Bunker Hill under Prescott, his Colonel, and wounded June 17th, 1775. Was carried from the field by his two brothers, Perley and Benjamin; thus showing that three brothers were fighting in this great struggle. [Revolutionary Soldiers Buried In Washington County, Ohio, 1923 - Transcribed by AFOFG]

Aurelia Ann Buell
Aurelia Ann Buell (daughter of Salmon A. Buell and Eliza Buell), born at Lowell, Ohio, 27th February, 1822. She was married in November, 1843, to Hon. William F. Curtis, of Marietta, Ohio. He has served two terms in the State Senate, and is highly respected and influential man. Five childre:

1. William Curtis, born Marietta, Ohio, about 1844.
2. Julia D. Curtis, born at Marietta, Ohio, about 1846.
3. Don Carlos Curtis, born at Marietta, Ohio, about 1848. Drowned at the age of 15 years.
4. Emma Curtis born at Marietta, Ohio, about 1850.
5. Edmund Curtis, born at Marietta, Ohio, about 1852.
[History of the Buell Family In England By Society Library, 1881 - Transcribed By AFOFG]

Don Carlos Buell
Major-General Don Carlos Buell, (son of Salmon A. Buell and Eliza Buell) born at Lowell, Ohio, 23d March, 1818. Now (1879) at Airdrie, near Paradise, Ky.
Don Carlos Buell, an American General, was born near Marietta, Ohio, March 23, 1818.  He graduated at West Point in 1841, and served in the Florida war, and on frontier duty till 1845.  In the Mexican war he was present at the battle of Palo Alto, Resaca de la Parma, Monterey, Cerro Gordo, Contreras and Churubusco, where he was severely wounded, receiving the brevets of Captain and Major.  In the latter part of 1847 and in 1848, he was employed in the Adjutant-General's office at Washington; from 1849 to 1861 Assistant Adjutant-General in the department of New Mexico, Texas, the East, the West and the Pacific. After the commencement of the Civil War, in 1861, he assisted in organizing the army collected near Washington, and in November he superseded General William T. Sherman in the Department of the Cumberland, which was recognized as that of the Ohiom and was placed in coomand of the Department of the Ohio, his headquarters being at Louisville, Kentucky. On 27th February, 1862, Nashville was occupied by the Union Army under General Buell.
On March 21st, 1862, and on the sane day, he was made Major-General of the Volunteers, his department being incorporated with that of the Mississippi, under General Halleck. He arrived with a part of one of his divisions on the battle-field of Shiloh, April 6th, in time to succour the hard pressed army under General Grant. On the following day, his three other divisions having come up, the Confederates were worsted, and fell back to their entrenchments at Corinth. On the 12th of June he was placed in command of the newly-formed department of the Ohio, with his headquarters at Huntsville, Alabama.  In July and August the Confederates, under Braggm marched into Kentucky, compelled the abanadonment of Lexington and Frankfort, and the removal of the State archives to Louisville, which city was threatened, as well as Cincinnati. At midnight, April 24th, Buell's retreating army entered Louisville amid great excitement, as it was feared that Bragg would reach there first.
September 30th, by order from Washington, Buell turned over his command to General Thomas, upon whose request it was at once restored to Buell. A part of Buell's army overtook a part of the Confederate force at Perryville, October 8th, where an indecisive action was fought. The Confederates retreated to Cumberland Gap, and Buell did not follow them. General Buell resigned his commission in the army, and in 1865 became President of the Green River Iron Works, in Kentucky." - Appleton's American Cyclopedia. He was married at St. Louis, Mo., by Rev. Mr. Gassoway, 19th November, 1851, to Mrs. Margaret Mason, daughter of Col. John Ware Hunter, of Washington, D.C. (Mrs. Mason, at the time od her second marriage, had two daughters). No account of children of General Buell. [History of the Buell Family In England By Society Library, 1881 - Transcribed By TK]

Sally Maria Buell
Sally Maria Buell (daughter of Salmon A. Buell and Eliza Buell), born at Lowell, Ohio, 26th February, 1820; now (1878) at Aurora, Ind. She was married at Marietta, Ohio, 8th March, 1840, to George W. Lane, born 7th November, 1812, son of Amos and Mary (Foot Howes) Lane. Nine children:

1. Amos Lane, born ar Aurora, Ind., 1st May, 1841; now (1878) at the American Hotel, Denver, Col.
2. Mary Eliza Lane, born at Aurora, Ind., 16th July, 1843. Died there 19th July, 1844.
3. Buell Lane, born at Aurora, Ind., 16th July, 1845. Died there 13th March, 1849.
4. Ann Lane, born at Aurora, Ind., 11th October, 1847.
5. George Buell Lane, born at Aurora, Ind., 7th November, 1849. He was married 20th March, 1877.
6. Mary Eliza Lane, born at Aurora, Ind., 14th July, 1852.
7. Gertrude Buell Lane, born at Aurora, Ind., 25th May, 1855.
8. Julia Lane, born at Aurora, Ind., 31st May, 1858.
9. Jane Alma Lane, born at Aurora, Ind., 20th Septeber, 1860.
[History of the Buell Family In England By Society Library, 1881 - Transcribed By TK]

Salmon A. Buell
Salmon A. Buell, born at Ithaca, N. Y., 11th August 1794. He moved to Lowell, Ohio, and died there 3d August 1813. He was married at Marietta, Ohio, 13th April, 1817, to Eliza Buell, born 22d August, 1798. She is now (1879) living. Daughter of Timothy Buell, of Marietta, Ohio.  [History of the Buell Family In England By Society Library, 1881 - Transcribed By AFOFG]

Sarah Woods Burke
Former Slave - Sarah Woods Burke
James Immel, Reporter
(WPA Project) Folklore, Washington County, District Three
 Yessir, I guess you all would call me an ex-slave cause I was born in Grayson County, West Virginia and on a plantation I lived for quite a spell, that is until when I was seven years old when we all moved up here to Washington county."
 "My Pappy's old Mammy was supposed to have been sold into slavery when my Pappy was one month old and some poor white people took him ter raise. We worked for them until he was a growed up man, also 'til they give him his free papers and 'lowed him to leave the plantation and come up here to the North."
 "How did we live on the plantation? Well - you see it was like this we lived in a log cabin with the ground for floors and the beds were built against the walls jus' like bunks. I 'member that the slaves had a hard time getting food, most times they got just what was left over or whatever the slaveholder wanted to give them so at night they would slip outa their cabins on to the plantation and kill a pig, a sheep or some cattle which they would butcher in the woods and cut up. The wimmin folks would carry the pieces back to the cabins in their aprons while the men would stay behind and bury the head, skin and feet."
 "Whenever they killed a pig they would have to skin it, because they didn't dare to build a fire. The women folk after getting home would put the meat in special dug trenches and the men would come erlong and cover it up."
 "The slave holders in the port of the country I came from was men and it was quite offen that slaves were tied to a whipping stake and whipped with a blacksnake until the blood ran down their bodies."
 "I remembers quite clearly one scene that happened jus' afore I left that there part of the country. At the slaveholders home on the plantation I was at it was customary for the white folks to go to church on Sunday morning and to leave the cook in charge. This cook had a habit of making cookies and handing them out to the slaves before the folks returned. Now it happened that on one Sunday for some reason or tother the white folks returned before the regular time and the poor cook did not have time to get the cookies to the slaves so she just hid then in a drawer that was in a sewing chair."
 "The white folks had a parrot that always sat on top of a door in this room and when the mistress came in the room the mean old bird hollered out at the top of his voice, 'Its in the rocker. It's in the rocker'. Well the Missus found the cookies and told her husband where upon the husband called his man that done the whipping and they tied the poor cook to the stake and whipped her till she fainted. Next morning the parrot was found dead and a slave was accused because he liked the woman that had been whipped the day before. They whipped him than until the blood ran down his legs."
 "Spirits? Yessir I believe in them, but we warnt bothered so much by them in them days but we was by the wild animals. Why after it got dark we children would have to stay indoors for fear of them. The men folks would build a big fire and I can remember my Pappy a settin on top of the house at night with a old flint lock across his legs awaiting for one of them critters to come close enough so he could shoot it. The reason for him being trusted with a gun was because he had been raised by the poor white man who worked for the slaveholder. My Pappy did not work in the fields but drove a team of horses."
 "I remembers that when we left the plantation and come to Washington County, Ohio that we traveled in a covered wagon that had big white horse hitched to it. The man that owned the horse was Blake Randolls. He crossed the river 12 miles below Parkersberg. W. Va. on a ferry and went to Stafford, Ohio, in Monroe County where we lived until I was married at the age of 15 to Mr. Burke, by the Justice of the Peace, Edward Oakley. A year later we moved to Curtis Ridge which is seven miles from Stafford and we lived their for say 20 year or more. We moved to Rainbow for a spell and then in 1918 my husband died. The old man hard luck came around cause three years my home burned to the ground and then I came here to live with my boy Joe and his family."
 "Mr. Burke and myself raised a family of 16 chilluns and at that time my husband worked at farming for other people at $2.00 a month and a few things they would give him."
 "My Pappy got his education from the boy of the white man he lived with because he wasn't allowed to go to school and the white boy was very smart and taught him just as he learned. My Pappy, fought in the Civil War too. On which side? Well, sho nuff on the site of the North, boy." [Submitted and Transcribed by Sandie Cummins]

Christopher Burlingame
Revolutionary Rank - Private.
Born in Providence, R. I., 1753.
Died at Marietta, Ohio, July 12, 1841
Revolutionary Service. Just before the outbreak of the Revolution Mr. Burlingame, having finished his apprenticeship as a hatter, enlisted on a privateer bound for the West Indies. On the return trip they captured a prize and Burlingame was one of the crew put on her to take her into an American port; she was overhauled by a British vessel, however, and captured. The crew was taken to Dominica and thrown into prison; later they were pressed into service as seamen on British vessels. Before his vessel left port, Burlingame escaped and got ashore, where he remained hidden for several days. He then took passage on a British vessel bound for Halifax; this was captured by an American cruiser and he was marched as a prisoner into his home town, Providence. He was identified and released. Satisfied with the perils and chances of seafaring life he now enlisted in the Continental army; his terms of enlistment were one year, six months, three months, and six weeks. He was in Washington's army at the crossing of the Delaware ,and at Trenton, Dec, 1777.
Buried in cemetery at Harmar (West Marietta), Ohio. Name on Gateway to Mound Cemetery and grave marked with Revolutionary marker by Marietta Chapter D. A. R-, Nov. 30, 1906.
References—Year Book of Ohio Society, 1897. Placed on Pension Roll from 1832 to 1834.  [Revolutionary Soldiers Buried In Washington County, Ohio, 1923 - Transcribed by AFOFG]

Rev. Cyrus Byington
In 1820 a Company of missionary colonists and teachers, on their way by boat to their mission work among the Choctaw Indians stopped for a time at Marietta where the people became very much interested in them and made generous contributions for their work. This company was led by Rev. Cyrus Byington who commenced active life as a lawyer but soon consecrated himself to the work of a Christian minister and prepared for service as a Foreign Missionary. When this company started down the river in their flat boats and passed Belpre, Mr. George Dana, Sr., knowing their business wrote in his journal as follows:  "The Missionary Boat has arrived from Marietta on her way to the Choctaw Nation. The plan of enlightening the Savages is certainly philanthropic, to say nothing of the importance of giving them the gospel. They are an injured people; have been driven from their rightful possessions by the whites; have became as it were a remnant that will soon be extinguished unless arrested in their downward career; the plan of Missions and schools has been devised for that purpose. Human generosity and justice conspire to dictate its formation. As they become informed they will become amalgamated with the whites,—be brought under the mild sway of our laws, and become a happy and useful people and be an accession to the nation. And who that has experienced the influence of the gospel would not rejoice in assisting to send it to this dark and benighted people? May prosperity attend the Mission." Mr. Dana did not know what influence these missionaries were to exert upon his family during the coming years.
 Mr. Byington continued this missionary service for nearly half a century, occasionally visiting Marietta and Belpre, where he spoke in the churches and people continued their interest in the work. In 1827 he was married to Miss Sophia Nye of Marietta who for forty years shared with him their arduous and self denying work.
 In 1852 their daughter, Lucy Byington, born on the Missionary field, was married to Dea George Dana, Jr., and spent the remainder of her life a faithful wife and mother in the Dana home. When her father and mother retired from the Mission after the Civil War in 1866, they came to Belpre and made their home for a time with this daughter. In 1867 Mr. Byington published reminiscences of his work in the New York Observer from which we make the following quotation:  "We left Marieta with our hearts greatly refreshed and encouraged in our undertaking. We had heard of the Blennerhassett Island, named for the wealthy gentleman who settled on it, and built his fine palace and out houses there, and who was visited to his ruin by Aaron Burr. We have read Mr. Wirts description of the Island, the house and the family, a description rarely surpassed by our gifted writers. When we passed along we saw his seat in ruins, burned down, the chimneys still standing. Little could I know or think while gazing on these ruins on our way to the Choctaws, that forty-six years after I should retire, wearied and worn, to find a home, a quiet room for prayer and study, on the banks of the Ohio and adjacent to this same Island, and my own daughter, her husband and their children there to welcome me, feed me, nourish and strengthen me, in the hope that I might do a little more for our blessed Saviour. It is even so. It was in that room I revised the translation and reconstructed and wrote out the Choctaw grammar."

 This grammar was published for its literary merit by the "Pensylvania Historical and Philosophical Society." He also prepared a very complete Choctaw Dictionary which was published by the "Smithsonian Institute." The fact that the Indians in this country have adopted the English as their written language has prevented the continued use of these books, but they will perpetuate an extinct dialect and are a valuable monument of self-denying missionary labor. In Andover Theological Seminary Mr. Byington was associated with Luther Bingham, Pliny Fisk, Levi Parsons, and others who became eminent in Foreign and Home Missionary Work. He was eminent for his scholarship and devoted piety. A friend wrote of him: "Brother Byington's raiment seemed perfumed with spiritual myrrh, and, like Harlan Page, wherever he went his theme was Jesus and his great Salvation. " Aided by his devoted wife, he reduced the Choctaw language to writing and published in it several books including portions of the Scriptures. He received into the Churches nine hundred Christian Choctaws, and to all of these he was a Spiritual father. After retiring to Belpre he purchased and removed to a home in which he died December 31, 1868.
 Mrs. Sophia Nye Byington spent her last years with her daughter in the Dana home where she died February 4, 1880. Both were buried in Rockland Cemetery. This Providential connection of Belpre with Foreign Missions is interesting and should be remembered by future generations.  [A History of Belpre, Washington County, Ohio, by C. E. Dickinson, 1920, Transcribed by C. Anthony]

Genealogy Trails

© Copyright by GenealogyTrails