Charles W. Cain
The most extensive grower of potatoes in Mesa county, this state, and a pioneer in bee culture in this section, Charles W. Cain, living two miles and a half northeast of Fruita, has added two new industries to the extensive and almost universal productiveness of that section of the state, and thereby greatly increased the commercial wealth and activity thereof. And it should be said that his present comfort, prosperity and success are all the more gratifying because of the hardships and privations of his childhood, youth and earlier manhood, the shadows of adverse fortune having hung over him from the cradle and for years after he reached maturity. He was born at Marietta, Ohio, on August 8, 1855, the son of John and Caroline (Benedict) Cain, the former a native of Pennsylvania. They were the parents of two children, both boys, of whom Charles was the younger. He was orphaned at an early age and until he reached eleven was reared by relatives. He then lived in and near Toledo several years, doing chores and odd jobs for his board, working at whatever he could find do to in summer and securing now and then for a few months in the winter a coveted opportunity to attend the public schools. Being alone in the world, with no capital but his clear head, ready hand and stout heart, he had a difficult struggle to get along. But he saved money by great economy and when he was eighteen attended the Delta, Ohio, high school for a year. Afterward he worked in lumber yards and wholesale houses at Toledo for a few years, and in the winter of 1879-80 came to Colorado. During the next two or three years he prospected and mined near Leadville, but with no permanent success, accumulating a little money at times, then spending it all on prospects. In 1882 he went to California and he remained in that state until 1893, when he returned to Colorado and located in Mesa county. In the meantime he made trips through various parts of the Western, Southern and Eastern states. On his return to this state in the spring of 1893 he took up a desert claim of one hundred and sixty acres five miles below Fruita, which has since come under the Kiefer extension ditch. Of this he still owns one hundred and forty acres, having donated twenty acres to the sugar beet industry. In 1894 he bought twenty acres of his present home ranch, to which he has b y subsequent purchases added sixty acres, making it eighty in all. On these tracts of land he devotes his attention to general farming and the development of his fruit industry. He has an orchard of six acres which yields abundantly, but in his farming he makes a specialty of potatoes, and in addition has a thriving and growing industry in bees, he being the pioneer in this branch of enterprise in this part of the country. His apiary covers one hundred hives and is very productive. He raises more potatoes than any other man in Mesa county. His crop in 1903 was one hundred and seventy-five tons, and in the last three years has aggregated over five hundred tons. On February 23, 1898 he was married to Miss Eva Lane, a native of New York, daughter of Squire G. Lane, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this work. They have two children, Winnie and Ethel. In politics Mr. Cain is an independent Republican but he is not an active partisan. He is highly esteemed throughout the country, and accounted one of its best citizens. (Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Richard Ramos)
Born -1764 ; Died -1851
Buried in Hoagland Cemetery, Barlow Twp., Washington County, Ohio. The gravestone states that he was a Revolutionary soldier. Marked with a Revolutionary marker by Marietta Chapter D. A. R., 1922.
John Kenneth Christopher
Corporal John Kenneth Christopher, son of Charles S. and Flora Spencer Christopher, was born July 15th, 1894, and was killed in battle November 1, 1918 at Argonne Forest in the last great drive of the European War. He enlisted June 13th, 1817 at Wheeling, West Virginia, and was transferred to Philadelphia Marine Barracks for training. Five weeks later he was on the way to France where he was enrolled in the 5th Regiment of Marines. February 15, 1918 he went into the trenches with his regiment which won an enviable reputation in the battles of Chateau Thierry, June 6th, also June 21-26, at Soissons July 18-19. St. Mihiel Sector, September 12-16, Argonne Woods, November 1. He was wounded in September and was in hospital for a time, but returned to the regiment in season to be in the fight at Argonne where he gave his life as a sacrifice on the altar of freedom. Corporal Christopher was born and spent his youth in the beautiful Ohio Valley, and was educated in the Belpre Schools. As a lad he was generous, self sacrificing and courageous, and gained many warm friends who anticipated for him a successful career. He became a member of the Congregational Church of Belpre, about three years before his enlistment. In the Sunday School he belonged to a class known as Boy Scouts under the care of Miss Persis P. Howe. Of this class more than twenty were in some branch of service during the war. Letters received from Corporal Christopher indicated that his Christian character was maintained and strengthened by his war experience. He was one of the first men in Belpre to enlist and the first to give his life. Millions of young men were sacrificed during this terrible war and there is mourning in millions of homes, and yet the sorrow is as great in each individual home as though they were the only sufferers, and Belpre should as tenderly cherish the memory of her martyrs as though no other community had been afflicted. February 16th a very interesting and impressive memorial service was held in the Congregational church, and roses and poppies will probably continue to bloom over an unknown grave "Somewhere in France." Corporal John Kenneth Christopher and Frank Browning were Belpre's two martyrs in this war. [Source: A History of Belpre, Washington County, Ohio, by C. E. Dickinson, 1920, Transcribed by C. Anthony]
Major Asa Coburn
Revolutionary Rank - Captain and Major.
Born Sept. 14, 1741, at Dudley, Mass., the son of Andrew and Jane (Allen) Coburn.
Died in Washington County, Ohio, 1789.
Revolutionary Record - See office of Secretary of Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Vol. 13, p. 53; Vol. 146, 132; Vol. 16, 68; Vol. 56, 91; Vol- 74, 52; Vol. 18, 174; Vol. 19, part 1, p. 57; Vol. 51, file 11 ; Vol. 67 and 74, pages 122 and 200; Vol. 74, 56 and 57; Vol. 50, p. 21, file 1.
Capt. Coburn married Mary McClure April 8, 1762. Their children were Sibyl, Asa, Phineas, Mary, Susannah and Nicholas. They came to Ohio in company with Col. Gushing and Major Goodale, Aug 19, 1788, the first families to settle in the Northwest Territory. Capt., or as he was called in Ohio, Major Coburn, lived in Campus Martins and in Fort Frye, at Waterford, Ohio. He was the father of Phineas and Nicholas Coburn, who came out with the first party on April 7. L788. The place where he was buried is at the present time unknown, but it is somewhere in the neighborhood of Wolf Creek Mills, Washington Co., Ohio.
Reference: Massachusetts Revolutionary Records, History of Washington County.[Revolutionary Soldiers Buried In Washington County, Ohio, 1923 - Transcribed by AFOFG]
Revolutionary Rank - Private.
Born at Swansea, Mass., Sept, 12, 1742, son of John Coleand Abigail Butts.
Died in Warren Twp., Washington Co., O., Oct. 12, 1826.
Revolutionary Record - Private in Col. John Dagget's Reg. from Bristol, R. 1. Also aide to Capt. James Hill in Col. Williams' Peg- at Liverton, R. I., from Dec, 1776, to Oct., 1777 Roll sworn to at Rehobeth.
He married first, Mercy Wood, July 19, 1764; second, Susannah Salisbury, March 18, 1777. His children by the first marriage were Asa, Nathan and Noah ; by the second were Elizabeth, Candace, Philip, Ichabod and John. He was a great great grandson of James Cole, owner of Cole's Hill, first burial ground of Plymouth Colony, and first individual owner of Plymouth Rock. He is buried in Gravel Bank Cemetery, Warren Twp., Washington Co., Ohio. Grave marked with Revolutionary marker by Marietta Chapter D. A. R., 1920; also by a bronze tablet bought by subscriptions from a number of his descendants and placed in 1918.
Reference - Ernest B. Cole's Book, "Descendants of James Cole, Plymouth, Mass-;" Mortimer A. Cole's Book, "John Cole and His Descendants of Swansea, Mass." [Revolutionary Soldiers Buried In Washington County, Ohio, 1923 - Transcribed by TK]
Farmer, came to this county in 1854. He was united in marriage with Letitia Thornily in Washington county, Ohio, August 7, 1842. He was born in Green county, Pennsylvania, August 27, 1819. His wife was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, February 28, 1817. They have five children: Evelyn, born November 30, 1843, lives in Gallia county; Walter, March 22, 1845, lives in Gallia county; Caleb E., May 13, 1846, resides in Laclede county, Missouri; Augusta, May 15, 1851, lives in West Virginia; William J., February 11, 1858, resides at home. He is a son of William and Margaret (Stackhouse) Coon; and his wife's parents, Letitia (Archer) and Caleb Thornily, both died in 1823. He had one son, Caleb, who served in the 133d Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry six months. Address, Eureka, Gallia county, Ohio. [SOURCE: History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c; James P. Averill; Hardesty & CO., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882.]
Born Oct. 20, 1759, Warren, Litchfield Co., Conn., son of Major Eleazer Curtis, Jr., and Mary (Carter) Curtis.
Died Sept. 7, 1801, Belpre Twp., Washington Co., Ohio.
Revolutionary Record -Enlisted as private May 4, 1775. Discharged Dec 18, 1775. Served at siege of Boston; at Germantown, 1777; wintered at Valley Forge, 1777-78; at the battle of Monmouth.
He married Eunice Starr, Nov. 7, 1782. Their children were Eleazer Starr, Jason Ralph, Walter, Mary, Benajah, Horace, Clarissa, Lucy (1st) and Lucy (2nd). Removed with family from Litchfield Co., Conn., to Washington Co., Ohio, in 1791, and settled on a farm in the Lower Belpre neighborhood. Buried in Newbury Cemetery, near Little Hocking, Washington Co., Ohio. Grave marked with Revolutionary marker by Marietta Chapter D. A. R., 1921. Some confusionin tracing this man is caused by the fact that his father was named Eleazer Curtis, Jr., and that the grandfather, Eleazer Curtis, Sr., was living at the time of the Revolution.
Reference - Connecticut Men in the Revolution. p. 49, 221, 467, 501.
[Revolutionary Soldiers Buried In Washington County, Ohio, 1923 - Transcribed by AFOFG]
Herbert S. Curtis & Son, John Austin Curtis
Herbert Spencer Curtis was born in Newbury Ohio, June 6, 1867, and was the son of Austin L. and Betha Putnam Curtis. He was a descendant of two of the pioneer families of Belpre Township who had a leading part in the formation of a State in the wilderness. He selected dentistry as his chosen profession in life and opened an office in Parkersburg, West Virginia where he had a successful practice for about eighteen years. He gave his service freely and generously to many deserving children particularly those in the Children's Home of Parkersburg. He resided several years in Belpre Village where he was a public spirited citizen and gave an earnest support to every enterprise which benefitted the community. He was married in 1904 to Bernice A. Smith of Belpre to whom two sons were born, John Austin, and Henry Starr. Dr. Curtis was a charter member of the Belpre Masonic Lodge No. 609, and also a member of Parkersburg Lodge No. 198, B. P. O. Elks. On July 8th, 1919, Dr. Curtis and his son John Austin were instantly killed on a grade crossing at Little Hocking. They were on their way in an automobile to the Curtis farm in Newbury which they frequently visited. As there were no witnesses to the accident it cannot be described. It was a great shock to the whole community and a loud call for better safeguards at our railway grade crossings. John Austin, eldest son of Herbert S. and Bernice A. Curtis, was born in Parkersburg, May 20, 1906. He was a quiet, lovable boy, a favorite with his companions, a diligent scholar and an omniverous reader. At the time of his death he was a pupil in the Parkersburg Junior High [Source: A History of Belpre, Washington County, Ohio, by C. E. Dickinson, 1920, Transcribed by C. Anthony]
Colonel Nathaniel Cushing
Born in Pembroke, Mass., April 8th, 1753.
Died in Belpre, Ohio, in 1814.
Buried in Belpre, Ohio.
Revolutionary Record—Nathaniel Cashing, Boston, 1st Lieutenant, Capt. Lemuel Trescott's Co., Col. Jonathan Brewer's Reg.; also Capt. in Col. John Patterson's Regt.; also Captain in Col. Joseph Vose's (1st) Regt.; also Captain Light Infantry, Col .Vosc's (1st) Regt.; also Brigade Inspector, Brigade Major at New Windsor, Camp Philadelphia. Reference—Massachusetts Soldiers and Sailors. Nathaniel Cushing was the original proprietor of Lot ,27 on the site of "Farmers Castle," and moved to his land in 1789, having come to Marietta the previous year. His wife was Elizabeth Heath. To them twelve children were born. After the capture of Major Goodale by the Indians, Col. Cushing was chosen to command the garrison at Farmers' Castle. His grave will be marked by the Marietta Chapter, D. A. R., bv a Revolutionary marker. [Revolutionary Soldiers Buried In Washington County, Ohio, 1923 - Transcribed by AFOFG]
Col. Nathaniel Cushing
Mr. Cushing belonged to the illustrious Cushing family of Boston and was born in Pembroke, Mass., April 8th, 1753. At the beginning of the revolutionary war he lived in or near Boston. In July, 1775, he was commissioned Lieutenant in Captain Trescott's Company and Colonel Brewers regiment, promoted as Captain in 1777, and came out of the war as Major by bevet. He was engaged in many battles and skirmishes and was regarded as one of the most brave and successful officers. By his kindness to those under his command and his watchful care for the best interest of his men, he was a great favorite with the soldiers. His Company was attached to Gen. Rufus Putnam's regiment of light infantry and he made some daring and successful raids on the enemy. At that time there was a large district between the contending armies called the neutral ground that was nearly deserted by the inhabitants, and ravaged by both parties especially by the Tories, who, from this and the adjoining country, supplied the British in New York with forage and fresh provisions. The Americans, to watch the incursions of the enemy and keep the Tories from robbing the peaceable inhabitants near the lines, kept strong outposts or detachments of soldiers on the borders between King's bridge and the White Plains. It was a dangerous position for the troops, and none but the most active and vigilant of the partisan officers were selected for this service. They were not only liable to sudden and night attacks from the bands of Tories who were bom and brought up here, and were familiar with every road and by-path, but also exposed to a corps of light horse under the noted partisan officer Col. Simcoe who had cut off and destroyed several advanced parties of American troops. To avoid the latter casualties, the order of the Commanding General was, that they should not advance beyond a certain line into the neutral ground, but keep within their own defenses, lest they should be surprised by the light horse and cut to pieces. Among others ordered on this hazardous service, was Capt. Cushing with a detachment of men in addition to his own Company. Soon after arriving and taking up his position, information was brought by some of the Whig inhabitants, that there was a considerable body of Tories posted at no great distance from him on the road to New York. The opportunity thus afforded of distinguishing himself and the detachment under his orders was too great to be resisted; besides, if successful, he would be doing a service to the cause, and wipe away some of the disgrace attached to the defeat of other officers who had preceeded him in this service. With the main body of his men he, early that night, commenced a rapid march across the country, by an unfrequented road and about midnight surprised and captured the whole party. Col. Simcoe, with his mounted rangers, was posted in that vicinity, and received early notice of the event, by some friend of the British and acting with his usual promptness, immediately commenced a pursuit, with the expectation of cutting to pieces the detachment, and releasing the prisoners. Cant. Cushing, with all haste, posted off the Captive Tories in advance, under a small guard, charging the officer to rush on toward the lines as rapidly as possible, while he followed more leisurely in the rear, with the main body of troops. Expecting a pursuit from Simcoe; he marched in three ranks, and arranged the order of defense if it were attacked by the cavalry; a kind of troops much more dreaded by the infantry than those of their own class. When about half way back, the clattering hoofs of the rangers horses were heard in hot pursuit. As they approached, he halted his detachment in the middle of the road, ready to receive the charge. It fortunately happened that he found, in the house with the captured Tories a number of long spears or lances, sufficient to arm the rear rank. When called to a halt, and face the enemy, it brought the spearmen in front. Standing in close array, shoulder to shoulder, with one end resting on the ground, they received their enraged enemies on their points, while the other two ranks poured upon them a deadly fire, leaving many of the horses without riders. This unexpected result threw them into disorder, and their leader directed a retreat. Cushing now renewed his march in the same order. Simcoe, enraged and chagrined at the failure of his charge, again ordered a fresh and more furious onset, but was received by his brave antagonist in the same cool and resolute manner, and met a still more decided repulse, losing a number of his best men and horses. Not yet satisfied to let his enemies escape he made a third unsuccessful attempt and gave up the pursuit, leaving Capt. Cushing to retire at his leisure. He reached his post unmolested, with all the prisoners, and the loss of only a few men wounded; none killed. The following day he was relieved by a fresh detachment and marched into camp with the trophies of this brave adventure. The morning after his return, in the orders of the day, by the commander-in-chief, notice was taken of this affair, and any similar attempt by the troops on the lines forbidden, thereby apparently censuring the conduct of Capt. Cushing. This was rather a damper to the feelings of a brave officer, who was peculiarly sensitive and sustained a nice sense of military honor. Soon after the promulgation of the order, and he had retired to his tent brooding over the event of the morning, and half inclined to be both angry and mortified at the nice distinctions of the Commander, an aid of Gen. Washington entered with a polite invitation to dine with him. He readily complied with the request and at the table was placed in the post of honor at Washington's right hand. A large number of officers were present, in whose hearing he highly complimented Capt. Cushing for the gallant manner in which he conducted the retreat with the coolness and success he had done; but at the same time added that for the strict and orderly discipline of the army, it was necessary to discountenance every act that contravened the orders of the Commander-in-chief. This satisfied all his mortified feelings and increased his love and respect for his revered general. His was one of the first families who arrived in Marietta, August 19th, 1788. Soon after his arrival he was commissioned by Governor Saint Clair as Captain in the First Regiment. He was one of the most active, brave, and intelligent men in arranging and conducting military and civil affairs in the settlement. After the capture of Maj. Goodale by Indians he was chosen Commandant in Farmers Castle. He was gentlemanly and refined in manners, very courteous and affable in his intercourse with others, whether poor or rich, and very highly esteemed by Mr. and Mrs. Blennerhassett. He died in 1814. Source: A History of Belpre, Washington County, Ohio, by C. E. Dickinson, 1920, Transcribed by C. Anthony]
BACK -- HOME
© Copyright by GenealogyTrails