Captain William Dana
Captain Dana was of French Huguenot descent and was born at Brighton, Mass. in 1745. He removed his family to the vicinity of Worcester, Mass. just before the battle of Lexington. He was chosen Captain of an Artillery Company and was stationed a mile or two out of Charleston at the time of the battle of Bunker Hill. An express from General Putnam, near its close, arrived with orders to hasten on to the hill to reinforce the flagging provincials. He started at full speed but met his countrymen on Charleston neck on their retreat. He remained in the service two or three years attached to the department of General Knox head of the Artillery Corp. In the Summer of 1788 he and two sons came to Marietta where he cleaerd a small section of land and built a brick kiln and burned the first brick made in Ohio. In 1789 he removed with his family, to Belpre and drew a lot of land just above the head of Blennerhassett Island and spent the winter in a small cabin but built a comfortable home in 1790. He lived in Farmers Castle during the Indian war. A few years after its close his land was cleared, a convenient frame house built, orchards of fruit trees in bearing, and smiling plenty crowned his table, around which assembled eight sons and three daughters. In person Captain Dana was tall and in his manhood sustained the position and bearing of a Soldier. In disposition he was cheerful and social and never happier than when surrounded by his old associates at the festive board. He died in 1809. [ A History of Belpre, Washington County, Ohio, by C. E. Dickinson, 1920, Transcribed by C. Anthony]
Capt. William Danar
Revolutionary Rank - Captain.
Born - 1744, at Little Cambridge, now Brighton, Mass.
Died - Oct. 30, 1809, at Belpre, Ohio. Revolutionary Record—Was chosen captain of an artillery company at the time of Punker Hill Battle. He served two or three years, attached to the department of Gan. Knox in the artillery. He married Mary Bancroft in 1770. He had nine children : Luther, William, Stephen, Edmond, Augustus, Elizabeth, Mary, George and Fanny. He came to Marietta, in 1788, with his two eldest sons. He burnt the first brick made in the territory. The next year the rest of the family came out and they settled in a log cabin at Belpre, Capt. Dana is buried in the Ohio Company's burying ground at Belpre, Ohio. Grave marked with Revolutionary marker by Marietta Chapter D. A. R., 1921. Reference - Massachusetts War Records. Andrew's History [Revolutionary Soldiers Buried In Washington County, Ohio, 1923 - Transcribed by TK]
Capt. Daniel Davis
Born at Killingly, Conn., Oct. 12th, 1742.
Died near Beverly, Ohio, date and grave unknown.
Revolutionary Record - "Daniel Davis, Jr., Deputy for Killingly in General Assembly, May 1st, 1773. Lieutenant of Company of Volunteers in Killingly, May, 1778. Capt. Issachar Bates, Commanding Company."
Reference - G. M. Cole, Adjutant General, State of Connecticut. Daniel Davis, Jr., was the son of Deacon Daniel Davis and Tarnar Town. He married Elizabeth Whittemore, Dec 2d, 1762. To them were born the following children, viz., Willard, Tarnar, Walter, Elizabeth, William, Daniel, Hezekiah, Jesse, Asa, Lucena. He was stationed for a time at Boston, collecting relief for the poor, engaging men for the army and providing for families of men entering the army, sacrificing much of his property for the cause. He came to Marietta with General Rufus Putnam in 1788. In 1789 he settled with his family at Waterford, where he lived the rest of his life. After the perils of the Indian War were over he settled down to the pursuits of private life. A Revolutionary marker will be placed to his memory in the spot in Mound Cemetery set apart for those whose graves are unknown, by the Marietta Chapter, D. A. R. [Revolutionary Soldiers Buried In Washington County, Ohio, 1923 - Transcribed by TK]
Beman Gate Dawes
Dawes, Beman Gate, capitalist and statesman of Columbus, Ohio, was born Jan. 14, 1870, in Marietta, Ohio. He is president of the Lansing Gas Light company of Lansing, Mich. [Herringshaw's America Blue Book of Biography by American Publisher's Association, 1915 - Transcribed By TK)
Charles Gate Dawes
Dawes, Charles Gate, bank president of Chicago, Ill., was born Aug. 27, 1865, in Marietta, Ohio. He graduated with the degree of A.B. from Marietta college; and graduated with the degree of LL.B. from the Cincinnati law school. Until 1894 he practiced law in Lincoln, Neb. In 1902 he established the Central Trust company of Illinois, of which has ever sice been president; and is also a director of several other banks in Chicago. He is the author of The Banking System of the United States. [Herringshaw's America Blue Book of Biography by American Publisher's Association, 1915 - Transcribed By TK)
Capt. Jonathan Devoll
CAPTAIN DEVOLL, when a young man acquired the trade of Ship Carpenter and in later years became quite noted in the construction of boats, ships and mills. He volunteered at the beginning of the revolution, in 1775, as first Lieutenant and Adjutant of the regiment. In 1777 he resigned because superceded in promotion of Adjutant of Second regiment to the office of Brigade Major. In 1776 he performed a very brilliant exploit in capturing a British Brig in Newport harbor and the following year captured a band of Tories near the same locality. He joined the Ohio Company in 1787 and was one of the first forty-eight pioneers who arrived at Marietta, April 7th, 1788. During the winter he had superintended the construction of boats at Sumrills Ferry. He was chiefly engaged during the summers of 1788-9 in building Campus Martins and removed with his family to Belpre in February 1790. At the breaking out of the Indian war in 1791 he superintended the construction of Farmers Castle, and built the Floating Mill at Belpre, in 1791. In 1797 he removed to a farm on Wiseman's bottom, on the Muskingum, five miles above Marietta. Here the next year he built a floating mill where he did custom grinding for the farmers on the Ohio and Muskingum rivers. In 1801 he built a ship of four hundred tons for B. I. Gilman, Esquire, a merchant of Marietta. The timber of this vessel was wholly of Black Walnut from the valley of the Muskingum for which river the ship was named. In 1802 he built the schooner Nonpareil. In 1807 he built a large frame flouring mill on the spot where the floating mill was moored. The water wheel was forty feet in diameter, the largest seen at that day west of the mountains. During all these days he improved his farm, planting fruit trees and making his home pleasant and comfortable. In 1809 he purchased and put in operation ma chinery for carding sheeps wool which had now become so abundant as to need something more than hand cards, as farmers were already owning flocks of sheep. In 1808 he erected works for dressing and fulling cloth both of which operations are believed to have been the first ever carried on in this part of Ohio, if not in the whole state. He may be called the Master mechanic of the settlers. He died, during the epidemic fever which prevailed, in 1823, aged 64. [A History of Belpre, Washington County, Ohio, by C. E. Dickinson, 1920, Transcribed by C. Anthony]
Revolutionary Rank - Lieutenant.
Born in 1755.
Died in 1824.
Mr. Devol married Miss Nancy Barker in 1776. His children were Henry, Charles, Barker, Prances, Sally and Nancy. Capt. Devol (he is called captain in the Washington County History) was one of the original 47 settlers who came to Marietta in 1788, in fact, he built the "Mayflower" barge on which thev arrived. He was a very skilled carpenter and mechanic, and was kept busy in the early years of the settlement in boat building, locating and constructing mills, and such work. He settled first in the Belpre neighborhood, but later removed to Muskingum Township. He is buried in Putnam Cemetery, not far from Marietta. The inscription on his tombstone is "Capt. Jonathan Devol, 1755-1824". Grave marked with Revolutionary marker by Marietta Chapter D. A. R., 1922. [Revolutionary Soldiers Buried In Washington County, Ohio, 1923 - Transcribed by TK]
Thomas Dickerson was born October 15th, 1757. The date of his death is not known, neither is the exact spot of his grave, but it is supposed to be beside of that of his wife, who is buried at New Matarnoras, Grandview Twp., Washington County, Ohio. He had a family of nine children, Joseph, Frederick, Rebecca, Vachel, Isabella, Eleanor, Elizabeth, Thomas and Sarah. Among his papers were found several ancient documents as follows: February 20th, 1786. "Received of Thomas Dickerson one discharge for three years' service in the 8th Pennsylvania Regulars. Given at Fort Pitt, October 9th, 1779. By Col. Bayard, Commander of 8th Pennsylvania Regulars. (Signed) JOHN MUNN.
Washington, D. C, Dec. 18th, 1818.
This is to certify that Thomas Dickerson, Private in the army of the Revolution, is entitled to a pension of $8 per month.
J. C. CALHOUN, Secretary of War."
Thomas Dickerson settled on a farm in Grandview Twp., in 1795, where he lived until his death.
References: Washington County History, List of Pensioners, First Session 16th Congress, No. 34, entitled, "A Letter From The Secretary of War," a copy of which is found in Marietta College Library. [Revolutionary Soldiers Buried In Washington County, Ohio, 1923 - Transcribed by TK]
Susan D. Dickinson
Mrs. Susan D. (Williams) Dickinson was born at Charlemont, Franklin County, Massachusetts, December 27,1836. She spent her childhood in a country home and was educated in Shellburne Falls Academy and Mount Holyoke Female Seminary. She taught several years in Massachusetts and in Illinois and was married to Rev. C. E. Dickinson, the compiler of this book, Oct. 1st, 1863. For more than half a century she has been a helpmate indeed in his work in the following churches: First Congregational, Oak Park, Ill., First Congregational, Elgin Ills. First Congregational, Marietta, Ohio, First Congregational, Windham, Ohio, Columbia Congregational, Cincinnati, Ohio and First Congregational, Belpre, Ohio. In all these places she has been a leader in Ladies Missionary and other societies. In Marietta she was president of a Chautauqua Circle, and graduated from that institution in 1889. She was a citizen of Belpre for eight years from 1906 to 1914. She was a leader in the Ladies Missionary Society of the Congregational Church and also an eminently successful Adult Bible Class teacher in the Sunday School. She also furnished several valuable essays for the Woman's Reading Club. She and her husband have resided in Marietta, since 1914. At the ripe age of eighty-three years she is still a comfort and inspiration to her family and friends. [A History of Belpre, Washington County, Ohio, by C. E. Dickinson, 1920, Transcribed by C. Anthony]
Revolutionary Rank - Private.
Born at Hampton Falls, New Hampshire, July 3, 1763
Died at Marietta, Ohio, May 13 1838.
Revolutionary Record: Enlisted as a soldier in New Hampshire in 1780, at the age of seventeen. His name appears on the payroll of Capt. Moses Leavett's Company in Col. Bartlett's Regiment of Militia raised by the State of New Hampshire for the defense of West Point in 1780. He was at one time a prisoner on the Jersey prison ship, and he also did patriotic service on the sea. The payroll mentioned above is dated Rockingham, S. S. Exeter, Jan. 19, 1781, and is in the official archives of the State of New Hampshire at Concord. Buried in Mound Cemetery, Marietta, Ohio. Grave marked with Revolutionary marker by Marietta Chapter D. A. R., Nov. 30, 1906. Marker stolen but replaced in 1920. [Revolutionary Soldiers Buried In Washington County, Ohio, 1923 - Transcribed by TK]
Born at Sharon, Connecticut, 1753.
Died in Washington County, Ohio, 1823.
He was the son of Jonathan Dunham, the first preacher at Martha's Vineyard. He had two children, Amos and Betsy. Betsy married Asahel Hollister. Buried in Dunham Cemetery, Dunham Township, Washington County, which township was named for him. Grave marked with Revolutionary marker by Marietta Chapter D. A. R., 1922. Jonathan Dunham's Revolutionary War Record—Private in Capt. Robert Oliver's Company of Minute Men, Col. Samuel Williams' Regiment, which marched, April 22d, 1775, on the Alarm of April 19th, 1775. serving 154 days; also Corporal. Capt. Samuel Taylor's Company, Col. Nicholas Dike's Regiment. Pay abstract for wages and travel allowance from place of discharge home dated Dorchester Heights, Nov. 28th, 1776, credited with six days' allowance. Also Private, Capt. Benjamin Phillips' Co., Lieut. Col. Timothy Robinson's detachment of Hampshire Co. Militia Enlisted Dec. 23rd, 1776, discharged April 1st, 1777, service, 3 months, 10 days. Company marched to Ticonderoga. Also Corporal, Capt. Benj. Phillips' Co., Col. Elisha Porter's (Hampshire Co.) Regt. Engaged July 10th, 1777, discharged Aug. 12, 1777, service 1 mo. 8 days. Reference—Massachusetts Soldiers and Sailors. [Revolutionary Soldiers Buried In Washington County, Ohio, 1923 - Transcribed by TK]
Dr. Victor Hugo Dye
Among the foremost physicians of his county must be numbered Dr. Victor Hugo Dye, of Sistersville, medical inspector for independent schools of that place. For more than ten years Dr. Dye has been identified with his community, not as a successful practitioner only, but also as a valued citizen.
(I) Samuel Dye, grandfather of Victor Hugo Dye, passed his entire life in the state of Ohio.
(IIJ Joseph R., son of Samuel Dye, is a resident of Monroe county, Ohio, where he is connected with the Standard Oil Company. He married Elvira, born in Sweden, daughter of Victor Tomer and his wife, and at the age of six years was brought by her parents to the United States. Victor Tomer was educated for the ministry and was a schoolmate and companion of King Oscar. Mr. and Mrs. Dye are the parents of a son, Victor Hugo, mentioned below.
(III) Dr. Victor Hugo Dye, son of Joseph R. and Elvira (Torner) Dye, was born February 25, 1878, near Marietta, Ohio. He received his earliest education in the common schools of Cow River, Ohio, passing thence to the Newport (Ohio) high school, and next entering the Marietta (Ohio) Academy, from which institution he graduated in 1897. After studying for a time at Marietta College, he matriculated in the Medical School of the University of Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland, receiving, May 15, 1901, the degree of Doctor ot Medicine. He afterward took a special course of four months in the diseases of children, and then spent about two months as resident physician in the National Temperance Hospital of Baltimore. At the end of that time he resigned his position and came to Sistersville, where he has built up a large and lucrative practice, and enjoys an enviable reputation both as a phvsician and surgeon. Dr. Dye is not a specialist, but devotes himseit to the duties and work of a general practitioner, in which he has achieved a gratifying measure of success. Dr. Dye's career has thus far been one of steady advancement and accomplishment, but he has not yet completed his fourth decade, and with a past so rich in results it is impossible to predict what the future may have in store for him.
Dr. Dye is a member of the Tyler County Medical Society, the West Virginia State Medical Society and the American Medical Association. For several years he has been secretary of the Tyler County Medical Society. He is a thirty-second degree Mason, and affiliates with the Grand Commandery, holding the offices of past high priest and past eminent commander. He upholds the principles of the Republican party, and is a member of the Baptist church. Dr. Dye married, October 10, 1899, Ethel V., born May 29. 1879. in Baltimore, daughter of William and Mary Riggin. Mr. Riggin was a commission merchant of Baltimore, and died October 16, 1909. Dr. and Mrs. Dye are the parents of one son, William Joseph Paul, born in Sisiersville, November 10, 1902. [West Virginia & Its People, by Thomas Condit Miller & Hu Maxwell, 1913, Transcribed by C. Anthony]
BACK -- HOME
© Copyright by GenealogyTrails