Colonel Daniel Fisher
Born - 1743.
Died - 1824, at Belpre, Ohio.
Buried in the Old Cemetery at Belpre, Washington County, Ohio. Grave marked with Revolutionary marker by Marietta Chapter D. A. P.. 1921.
Revolutionary Record - Prom Dedham, Mass. - Private in Capt. Joseph Guild's Co. of minutemen, Col. Greaton's Regt., which assembled April 19, 1775, service 13 days. Also corporal in Capt. Joseph Guild's Co., 36th Regt. Also Lieutenant in Capt. Abel Richards' Co., Col. Mackintosh's Regt.; marched, March 23, 1778; discharged April 6, 1778, service 15 days, at Roxbury and Boston. Also Second Lieutenant.of Capt. Ebenezer Brattle's 2nd Co., Col. Mackintosh's 1st Suffolk Co., Reg. of Massachusetts militia. Also Capt. of a Dedham Co., which marched Sept. 22, 1782, discharged Oct. 24, 1782, service 1 mo. 7 days, travel included. Company detached for service under Major Job dishing Hull.
Reference - Massachusetts Soldiers and Sailors. [Revolutionary Soldiers Buried In Washington County, Ohio, 1923 - Transcribed by TK]
William Corner Flagg
Wiliam Corner Flagg, son of James, b. 11 Dec., 1806, at Cornerville (Marietta), O. Served in the War of the Rbellion as drum-major in an Ohio Vol. Regt. (Capt. Chadler), U. S. Service, and was engaged in the battles of Pittsburg Landing and Shiloh. Was for a number of years engaged in shipping provisions, by flat boats, from Marietta, O. to New Orleans, La. Resided for many years at Lowell, Washington Co., O., where he died in Jan., 1893. He. m. 1st, 25 Mar., 1830, Valaria Hayes.
1. James, b. 10 Jan 1832, d. unm.
2. John Hayes, b. 14 Mar., 1835.
3. Susan, b. 18 Sep.,1836; d. 3 Feb. 1837.
4. Luther, b. 14 Mar., 1838; d. unm.
5. Mary Louisa; unm. Res., 1907, Delaware, O.
His 1st wife having died, he m. 2ndly, 3 June, 1860, Elizabeth Sherick. Issue:
1. Thomas Percival, (2nd), b. 1861; d. unm. (killed in railroad accident).
2. George; m. and had issue , 2 children; Res., 1905, Coal Run, Washington Co. O.
3. Sarah, m. Hansn, and had issue, a dau. Esther. Res., 1893, Lowell, O.; d.
[Family Records of the Descendants of Gershom Flagg born 1730 of Lancaster, MassachusettsBy Lucas Collins Strong Flagg, 1907 - Transcribed By AFOFG]
Born at Lowell, Massachusetts.
Died at Belpre, Ohio.
Buried at Belpre, Ohio.
Revolutionary Record - Sherebiah Fletcher enlisted at Chelmsford as Private in Capt. John Ford's Co., Col. Robinson's Regt; Company receipt for wages from Feb. 5th, 1776, to April 1st, 1776, dated Chelmsford; also Private in Capt. James Varnum's Co., Col. Michael Jackson's Regt. Continental Army pay accounts from May 15th, 1777 to May 15th, 1780. Residence, Chelmsford, Mass. Engaged for town of Chelmsford for term of three years.
Reference - Massachusetts Soldiers and Sailors.
His grave will be marked by Revolutionary Marker by Marietta Chapter D. A. R. [Revolutionary Soldiers Buried In Washington County, Ohio, 1923 - Transcribed by AFOFG]
Judge Martin Dewey Follett
Judge M. D. Follett, one of the organizers of the Ohio tate Archaeological and Historical Society, a life member and beginning in 1895 for some ten years a trustee, died at his home in Marietta, Ohio, August 22, 1911. Concerning his distinguished life we quote from a memorial published by the Washington County Bar Association of which for many years "he was a most eminent member. Martin Dewey Follett was born in Enosburg, Franklin county, Vermont, October 8, 1820, the son of Captain John Fassett Follett and grandson of Martin Dewey Follett. Many members of his family had risen to prominence in colonial and revolutionary times. In 1836 his father, with his wife and nine children, came west and settled on a farm in Licking county, Ohio, where the subject of our sketch grew to manhood. Having taught school for several years, he entered Marietta college and graduated, with highest honors, in the class of 1853 - having completed the required course in two years. He received the degree of Bachelor of Arts; and three years later was further honored by having conferred upon him the degree of Master of Arts. After being graduated he taught for one year in the high school at Newark, Ohio, and for two years in the academy and public schools at Marietta, Ohio, and in 1856 was elected superintendent of the local schools, which he served two years.
In 1856 he married Miss Harriet L. Shipman, of Marietta, Ohio, to whom were born four children, all of whom are deceased except Mr. Alfred Dewey Follett, a member of this bar. Judge Follett was married a second time in 1875 to Miss Abbie M. Bailey, of Lowell, Mass., to whom was born one son, Edward B. Follett, a judge of the court of common pleas of this district. Judge Follett was admitted to the bar in 1858, at the time of his death being the oldest member of the bar association, in point of service; Mr. R. M. Stimson having been admitted in 1849, but never practiced; and R. K. Shaw, who was admitted in 1855 in New York, but came to Marietta in 1860. At the October election in 1883, Judge Follett was elected to the Supreme Court of Ohio and served there from December 8, 1883, until February 9, 1888. While a member of the Supreme Court he established a reputation for industry and judicial ability which was recognized by the profession throughout the state. His opinions are found in volumes 42, 43 and 44, Ohio State Reports. He was associated upon the bench with such men as George VV. McIlvane, Selwyn N. Owen, John W. Okey and Franklin J. Dickman, and at the end of his term with present Chief Justice William T. Spear, who began his career upon the Supreme bench in 1885. Politically, Judge Follett was a sincere and loyal member of the Democratic party; in 1864 he served his party as delegate in the national convention which nominated Gen. George B. McClellan for the presidency; twice, in 1866 and 1868, he was the party nominee for congressman from this district. He took much interest in matters of local government and exerted wide influence upon its affairs. He was distinctively a humanitarian. Since 1879, when Governor Bishop sent him as a delegate from Ohio to the National Conference of Charities at Chicago, and Governor Foster the following year to Cleveland, he had devoted much time and study toward the improvement of conditions for the criminal and insane. As a member of the board of state charities, he has been largely instrumental in bringing the penal, reformatory and charitable institutions of Ohio to the high standard of present attainment. The new hospital to be erected at Lima for the care of the criminal insane can be directly traced to the influence which Judge Follett has wielded for many years upon the state's policy of caring for its unfortunate. Surely, in this respect he has aided in establishing the Kingdom through this modern expression of the brotherhood of man. In giving an estimate of the services of Judge Follett, we may lay emphasis upon the fact that he was a true friend of education. Himself educated, wisely informed, a teacher, he saw the importance all along the line of lifting education above the bread and butter standard. He served on the board of trustees of Marietta college for many years; and upon the local board of education; he was a charter member of, and until his death a faithful attendant upon, the Marietta Reading Club. Likewise, he conceived the law as a profession rather than a business, and never lost interest in the meetings of the Ohio State Bar Association and in the American Bar Association, of which he was a member and to which, upon important committees, he rendered valuable services. As a man, Judge Follett possessed an interesting and strong personality; as a citizen, he was ever willing to assume his full share of the burden of public service; as a lawyer, he was successful, always faithful to his client, and honorable: and as a Christian, a faithful attendant upon the services of the First Congregational Church and in his daily life loyal to his religious convictions. [Ohio History, Volume 21 by the Ohio Historical Society, 1912 - Transcribed by AFOFG]
Capt. William Ford
Revolutionary Rank - Captain.
Born - 1745.
Died - 1823.
Revolutionary Record - In the list of men who marched from Pittsfield, Mass., to Albany, Jan. 14, 1776, under command of Capt. Wm. Francis, by order of General Schuyler, and were dismissed Jan. 19, 1776, service 5 days. Also Second Lieut., Capt. William Francis' 9th (2nd) Pittsfield Co. of the 2nd Berkshire County Regt. of Massachusetts militia. Also Lieutenant in Capt. Aaron Rowley's Co., Col. Benjamin Simond's (Berkshire Co.) Regt. service 24 days. Also 4 weeks' service marching to Ticonderoga. Also Lieutenant in command of a company in Col. David Ross iter's (Berkshire Co.) Regt. service 7 days at Bennington. Also Capt. of 10th Co. of the Berkshire Co., Rvfy. of Massachusetts militia, commissioned July 24, 1778. Buried in Waterman's graveyard, near Waterford, Washington County, Ohio. Grave marked with Revolutionary marker by Marietta Chapter D. A. R., 1923. Massachusetts Soldiers and Sailors in Revolution. [Revolutionary Soldiers Buried In Washington County, Ohio, 1923 - Transcribed by AFOFG]
Revolutionary Rank - Private.
Born at Boxford, Mass., 1750.
Died at Marietta, Ohio, Sept. 15, 1823, during the epidemic of that year.
Revolutionary Record - Private in Capt. John Cushing's Co. of Minutemen, Col. Samuel Johnson's Regt., which marched on the Alarm of April 19, 1775; service 4 days. (Mass. Soldiers and Sailors, Vol. 5, p. 899). As stated by his grandson, Hill, "His army service began with the Battle of Lexington, at which time he was 25 years old. He marched to Quebec with Arnold, fought in the famous Battle of Brandywine, suffered at Valley Forge and was finally disabled at the Battle of Monmouth in 1788." Placed on the pension roll Oct. 10, 1818. Buried in Mound Cemetery, Marietta, Ohio. Name on Gateway and grave marked with Revolutionary marker by Marietta Chapter D. A. R , Nov. 30, 1906. Marker stolen but replaced in 1920. [Revolutionary Soldiers Buried In Washington County, Ohio, 1923 - Transcribed by TK]
Peregrine Foster was bom in New England in 1749.
Died at Belpre in 1804.
Buried in Belpre, Ohio.
Revolutionary Record - Peregrine Foster was a private in Capt. Daniel Gilbert's Co., Col. Job Cushing's Regt, service from July 30th, 1777, to Sept. 2nd, 1777, one month, 4 days at Bennington and Half Moon; Company marched from Brookfield, July 30th, 1777; also sergeant in Capt. Asa Danforth's Co. of volunteers. Col. Convert's Regt., service 31 days. Company marched from Brookfield, Sept. 23rd, 1777, to join army under Gen. Gates; also Capt. Daniel Gilbert's Co., Col. Josiah Whitney's Regt., service from Aug. 2d, 1780, to Sept. 3d. at Rhode Island.
Reference - Massachusetts Soldiers and Sailors.
Peregrine Foster and Mary, his wife settled in Belpre Twp. in 1796. He was one of the surveyors in the company of pioneers who landed at Marietta, April 7th, 1788. The same year in which he came to Belpre he secured a franchise for a ferry across the Ohio River. Flis grave will be marked with a Revolutionary Marker by the Marietta Chapter D. A. R. [Revolutionary Soldiers Buried In Washington County, Ohio, 1923 - Transcribed by AFOFG]
Levi J. Fouraker
Lieut. Levi J. Fouraker was born in Morgan Co., Ohio, September 8, 1838, where he lived until August, 1852, when he came to Washington County with his parents, and remained with them until April, 1861. He enlisted a few days after the breaking out of the war , in Captain John Henderson's company, K, Eighteenth Ohio three-months' regiment, and at the expiration of his term he was elected second lieutenant, and Richard Fouraker, his father, captain of the company. After the regiment landed at Pittsburhg Landing, Tennessee. Lieutenant Forurker served faithfully on scouting and other duty, until the Seventy-seventh was ordered into camp at Shiloh Church, when Lieutenant Fouraker was placedin command of the first picket guard sent out from that point, which guard was stationed near the place afterwards known as the battlefield of Fallen Timbers. Lieutenant Furaker fought with his command through the battle of Shiloh, April 6th and 7th, and was taken prisoner with many others, on the 8th, at the battle of Fallen Timbers, and when a prisoner of war was basely shot by the Rebel cavalry and subsequently brought into camp, nearly dead. He stayed in the field hospital a few days, when he was sent to the Cincinnati hospital, and from there to his father's house, where he died of his wounds March 5, 1875, aged 36 years. Lieutenant Fouraker was always jovial, agreeable, and a good companion. He was brave to a fault, and had no enemies. His comrades has learned to love and respect him as a true soldier, when he fell at his post of duty. [History of Marietta and Washington, Ohio, and Representative Citizens, Volume II By Seymour J. Hathaway, 1902 - Transcribed By TK]
Revolutionary Rank - Private.
Born at Piscataway, Maryland, in 1751.
Died in Grandview Twp., Washington County, Ohio, in 1846.
Buried in Grandview Township.
Revolutionary Record - Enlisted in the cause of the Revolution from Green County, Penn. Served under Captains John Miner, Jesse Pigman, John Welsel, Thomas Swann, William Crawford and Colonel Evans. Henry Franks applied for a pension, which was granted him.
Reference - Pension Department of Washington.
Henry Franks was married to Margaret Vanbuskirk, in 1803. He was the father of Owen Franks, of Marietta, Ohio; was the grandfather of Mary Catherine Franks Nye and the great grandfather of Katherine and Rebekah Nye, of Marietta, Ohio.' His grave will be marked by a Revolutionary marker by the Marietta Chapter D. A. R. [Revolutionary Soldiers Buried In Washington County, Ohio, 1923 - Transcribed by TK]
William Greenleaf Fuller
Was born in Boston, Massachusetts, January 6, 1827. His parents were Sumner and Mary Hervey (Greenleaf) Fuller. He married Lucy Lucretia Newton, November 4, 1850. Three children have been born to them, as follows: Alice Hervey, born February, 1852, died March 1869; Stella Newton, in August, 1861, died in November, 1861; W. Burtt, in May, 1869, resides in Gallipolis, Ohio. Mrs. Fuller was born in Warren township, Washington county, Ohio. She is the daughter of Oren and Elizabeth Newton, who came to Washington county at an early day. Colonel Fuller, during the war of the rebellion, was captain, then major, then colonel in quartermaster's department. He was in charge of United States military telegraph operations in the southwest from Virginia to Texas. His father was in the war of 1812. One of his brothers was a lieutenant in the 6th Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Another brother was a private in a Maine regiment. Colonel William G. Fuller descended from noted New England families, among whom Sumner and John G. Whittier are familiar names. His father, Sumner Fuller, was a prominent man, a graduate of Yale college, a soap and tallow chandler in Boston and Andover, Massachusetts. In 1834 he met with an almost fatal accident; removed to Charleston, South Carolina, for his health, but he died there in 1838. His death left his widow with the care of seven children and a small patrimony. These children are all alive, a monument to their mother's faithfulness. She, too, is still living. In 1846, William G. shipped on the United States steamer Mississippi for the Mexican war, as fireman. His health failing, he was changed from fireman to ship's yeoman, having charge of the ship's stores. At Point Isabel he, with others, volunteered to reinforce General Zach. Taylor, then about to meet the Mexicans, and afterwards participated in attacks and exploits along the Mexican coast. He figured in engagements at Tampico, Vera Cruz, Alvarado, Tobasco and Campeachy. In 1847 Mrs. Fuller, without the knowledge of William, procured his discharge on account of his minority, and he turned his attention to the art of telegraphy, then coming into prominence. He engaged with F. O. J. Smith and Eliphalet Case, in the New Orleans, Louisiana. He served that company as operator at Cincinnati, Ohio, New Richmond, Ohio, and at Marietta, Ohio, and in 1854 was appointed its superintendent. In 1856 he rebuilt the line on the Marietta and Cincinnati railway; in 1857, built for Amos Kendall the Independent Telegraph Company's line, on the Baltimore & Ohio and Marietta & Cincinnati railroads, from Baltimore to Cincinnati, opening the first opposition to the Western Union Telegraph Company in the Burnett House, in the latter city; remained in charge of these lines until the opening of the war of the rebellion. In May, 1861, he was appointed to manage the government telegraphs on the branch of the Baltimore & Ohio railroad between Grafton and Parkersburg, West Virginia. In July, the same year, he had undertaken to follow the army wherever it went with telegraph lines. In this month McClellan began his advance from Clarksburg via Buckhannon, and was followed by the first field telegraph of the war under Colonel Fuller's direction. The line was completed to Rich Mountain the day of the fight. Another line was constructed from Clarksburg, West Virginia, the end of the line being only three miles from Carnifax Ferry on the day of that battle. Thence lines up New River and down the Big Kanawha, a cable laid across the Ohio, and the lines extended to the M & C railroad at Hamden. Fuller was then ordered to Kentucky. He constructed the line to Somerset, the day of the battle of Mill Springs. Then from Lebanon to Nashville, Tennessee, and from Lexington, Kentucky, to Cumberland Gap. Plum's History of the United States Military Telegraph, says: "W. G. Fuller and his men accomplished a great work among the rocky cliffs and roads and barren mountains of that region. Constantly beset with dangers, the corps never faltered." "It is a pleasing fact that throughout the war Colonel Fuller and his corps never failed to erect a telegraph on any route that troops could pass over, and many a line was built where an army could not go." In 1863 Colonel Fuller was ordered to the Vicksburg district, continuing with Grant until after that surrender. Then to New Orleans, where he extended a submarine cable line to Mobile Bay; and with the aid of the navy blew up the obstructions and torpedoes sunk in that bay, by an electric explosion of powder sunk in cans. Fuller entered Mobile on the second boat that landed there. He became responsible for from eight to ten million dollars worth of government property scattered over seven States, yet settled his accounts without a dollar of defalcation occurring upon the department books. At the close of the war he declined an appointment to take charge of overland lines to California, his nervous system being shattered by his long service and exposure, and settled in Gallipolis in 1865. He was elected an elder in the Presbyterian church in 1866, having been a member of that body since 1849. In 1868 the firm of Gatewood, Fuller & Co. was formed, and the first furniture factory built in Gallipolis. The firm of Fuller, Hutsinpiller & County succeeded this firm in 1870, and still continues, employing over 100 hands, Colonel Fuller having always had the financial management. He has never applied for an office or a pension, although a constant sufferer from a shattered nervous system. [SOURCE: History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c; James P. Averill; Hardesty & CO., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882.]
BACK -- HOME
© Copyright by GenealogyTrails