Ohio Genealogy Trails
Washington County,Ohio
- G -

Frances Dana Gage
GAGE, Mrs. Frances Dana, woman suffragist and author, born in Marietta, Washington county, Ohio, 12th October 1808. Her father was Joesph Barker, a native of New Hampshire, and her mother was Elizabeth Dana, allied to the Dana and Bancroft families of Massachusetts. Frances Dana Barker, as she was named, was educated at home, in a frontier log cabin. She was studious and thoughtful, and she became a clear reasoner, a good writer and an effective orator. Her father was a farmer and a cooper, and her early days were filled with work. She could make a good barrel and till a farm in her girlhood. Her sympathies early went out for the fugitive slaves, of whom she saw many. In 1829, she became the wife of Mr. Gage, a lawyer practicing in McConnellsville, Ohio. They reared a family of eight children, and, in spite of all her domestic distractions, Mrs. Gage continued to ready, write, think and speak on woman's rights, temperance and slavery. In 1851 she attended the woman's rights convention in Akron, Ohio, and was chosen president of the meeting. From that time she has been conspicuous in the councils of the woman suffragists. In 1853 she moved to St. Louis, Mo., with her family. There her views caused het to be branded as an abolitionist and ostracised by "good society." The resources of the family were reduced by three disastrous fires, doubtless the work of incendiaries. Her husband's health failed, and she took a position as assistant editor of an agricultural paper, published in Columbus, Ohio. The war destroyed the circulation of the paper. Her four sons enlistedin the Union army, and she went, in 1862, to Port Royal, to care for the sick and wounded soldiers. She spent thirteen months in Beaufort, Paris and Fernandina, ministering to soldiers and freedmen alike. In her work she was aided by her daughter, Mary. She went without commission or salary to Memphis, Vicksburg, and Natchez. She aroused great interest in the work for the soldiers. After the war she lectured successfully on temperance. In 1867 she was made helpless by paralysis, which shut her from the world, being able only to talk, read and write. Her mental faculties were unimpaired. She was for years prominent in national woman's rights conventions. Under the pen name "Aunt Fanny" she has written many juvenile stories, poems and social sketches. She has been a contributor to the "Saturday VIsitor" and the New York "Independent." Her latest published works are a volume of poems and a temperance story, "Elsie Magooon." [A Woman of the Century, By Mary Ashton Rice Lawrence, 1893, Transcribed by C. Anthony]

George H. Gamble
Gamble, George H. - St Paul. Res 5415 Oneida st, office 214 Manhattan bldg.. Pine, mineral and farm lands. BornJuly 4, 1854 in Washington county O, son of Patrick and Ellen (Lovell) Gamble. Married May 20, 1884 to Catherine McDonald. Educated in common schools Washington county Ohio and business college Detroit. Logging in Mich 1877-81; estimator in Mich 1881-87; buying and selling lumber 18887-95; now engaged in buying, selling and locating timber and ore lands.  [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Nancy Overlander]

Samuel H Gates, Junior
Is a native of Washington county, Ohio, born October 29, 1832. His parents were Samuel H., senior, and Mary T. (Wheeler) Gates, who came to this county in 1834; they died in March, 1847, and April, 1854, respectively. The father of Samuel H., junior, was one of the pioneer mail-carriers of this county. He carrier the mail from Marietta, Washington county, Ohio, to Gallipolis, Gallia county, on horseback, going around by the way of Jackson. He was a county commissioner of Gallia county at the time of his death, at 54 years of age. Samuel, junior, was married in Gallia county, October 17, 1866, to Frances M. Guthrie; she was born in Gallia county, February 21, 1836. Her parents were Augustus S. and Cynthia A. (Knowles) Guthrie, settlers of this county in 1832; her father died July 11, 1865, and her mother May 8, 1859. Mrs. Gates had a brother, Sidney L. Guthrie, who served in the late war. He enlisted in 1862, in the 91st Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served in the late war. He enlisted in 1862, in the 91st Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served to the close of the war. Mr. Gates is at present serving as school director, and has filled the same office for six years. He is now filling his second term as township trustee. He is a farmer by occupation. His postoffice address Addison, Gallia county, Ohio. [SOURCE: History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c; James P. Averill; Hardesty & CO., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882.]

Benjamin Ives Gilman
Benjamin Ives Gilman, son of Joseph Gilman, was a prominent and talented citizen; he was the first clerk of the court in the county of Washington, which office he retained until the commencement of the Territorial government, when he was released. The subsequent history of himself and family is well known. He was a delegate from the county to the convention which formed the Constitution of Ohio. [History of Marietta and Washington County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens, Volume 1 By Seymour J. Hathaway, 1902 - Transcribed By TK]

Hon. A. W. Glazier
a.w. glazier
Hon. A. W. Glazier was born and reared on a farm near Amesville, Athens County, Ohio. He was educated in the common schools and select schools of that time andwas for some time a teacher. While a young man he engaged for three years in general merchandising at Urbana, Ohio. About this time he married Miss Mary Wyatt Hide of Millfield, Athens County, and settled on a farm a half mile south of the village of Amesville. Soon after this he united with the Presbyterian Church and was elected an Elder, which office he held until his removal to Belpre in 1876. In Belpre he became an efficient member of the Congregational Church of which he was deacon, respected and beloved, during the remainder of his life. At one time he engaged for a few years in manufacturing but continued to manage his farm and considered himself a farmer. He held various official positions at various times. Justice of the Peace, land appraiser, member of the Board of Ohio University at Athens, and represented his district, the fourteenth, in the State Senate for 1886 and 1887. In this capacity he was recognized as a faithful and intelligent legislator. He was a man of strict integrity and sterling character and always interested and active in every movement which promoted a high standard of character. He was active in promoting temperance and every thing that improved the community. October 31st, 1901, Mr. and Mrs. Glazier celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of their marriage at which time a host of friends expressed to them their congratulations and good wishes. For ten years he was incapacitated for active duties from an attack of paralysis. His mind was still active and he was a wise counselor in both civil and church matters. He was tenderly cared for by his wife and children until his death in 1908. Mrs. Glazier survived him for several years. She died in 1914. [Source: A History of Belpre, Washington County, Ohio, by C. E. Dickinson, 1920, Transcribed by C. Anthony]

Major Nathan Goodale
Maj. Nathan Goodale, son of Solomon and Anna Goodale, was born about 1743. His father died about one year later and in 1745 his mother, Anna Goodale, married Dea Samuel Ware and Nathan spent his early years in his family. He married Elizabeth Phelps, September 11th, 1765 and about 1770 removed to Brookfield, Mass., where he labored on the farm and as a bricklayer. Mr. Goodale had made some preparation for a soldier life in drilling as a minute man and entered the army as a Lieutenant and was afterwards commissioned as Captain with which rank he continued through the war, to which was added a brevet Major. He purchased a share in the Ohio Company and arrived at Marietta with the first families, Aug. 19, 1788. Soon after his arrival at Marietta Governor St. Clair appointed him Captain of a Company of light infantry selected from the most active men in the colony. His experience in military affairs rendered him a very able and efficient officer familiar with all the details of actual service. He was one of the first settlers in Belpre in 1789. During the short period he lived here he was considered to be one of the most industrious, persevering and thoroughly educated farmers in the County. At the beginning of the Indian War he went with his family to Farmers Castle. In making the arrangement for the defense and military government of the garrison he was the leading man; and the command was by unanimous consent given to him. His tragic kidnapping by Indians make him the martyr of Belpre and seems to make it proper that we describe his career somewhat in detail. General Rufus Putnam wrote to General Washington recommending Captain Goodale for promotion in which he gives the following description of his exploits in active service: "In the dark month of November, 1776, Mr. Good ale entered the service as a Captain in the regiment under my command, and was in the field early the next Spring; but, although he always discovered a thirst for enterprise, yet fortune never gave his genius fair play until August, 1777. It is well known into what a panic the country and even the northern army, were thrown on the taking of Ticonderoga. When General Gates took command in that quarter our army lay at Van Shaicks island; and Mr. Burgoyne, with his black wings and painted legions lay at Saratoga. The woods were so infested with Savages, that for some time none of the Scouts who were sent out for the purpose of obtaining prisoners or intelligence of the en emy's situation succeeded in either. General Gates, being vexed at continual disappointments, desired an officer to procure him a man that would undertake, at all hazards, to perform this service. Captain Goodale, being spoken to, voluntarily undertook the business under the following orders from General Gates: "Sir, you are to choose out a Sergeant and six privates and proceed with them to the enemy's camp, unless you lose your life or are captured, and not return until you obtain a full knowledge of their situation. Captain Goodale in his report of this scout, says it was not performed without great danger as the party was much harrassed by the Indians which occasioned their being in the woods three days without provisions. However he succeeded beyond expectation; first throwing himself between their outguards and their camp, where he concealed his party until he examined their situation very fully, and then brought off six prisoners, whom he took within their guards, and returned to General Gates without any loss. This success induced General Gates to continue him in that kind of service. A full detail of all the art and address which he discovered during the remainder of that campaign would make my letter quite too long. It may be enough to observe that, before the capture of the British army, one hundred and twenty-one prisoners fell into his hands. But as Captain Goodale is no less brave and determined in the open field where opposed to regular troops, than he is artful as a partisan of the woods, I beg your patience while I recite one instance of this kind. A day or two after Mr. Burgoyne retreated to Saratoga, on a foggy morning, Nixons brigade was ordered to cross the creek which separated the two armies. Captain Goodale with forty volunters went over before the advance guard. He soon fell in with a British guard of about the same number. The ground was an open plain, but the fog prevented their discovering each other until they were within a few yards, when both parties made ready nearly at the same time. Captain Goodale, in this position, reserved his fire and advanced immediately upon the enemy, who waited with a design to draw it from him; but he had the address to intimidate them in such a manner, by threatening immediate death to any one who should fire, that not more than two or three obeyed the order of their own officer, when he gave the word. The result was that the officer and thirty-four of the guard were made prisoners."

 We have an account of another of his exploits from a different source. At the action of Valentine Hill the commander of the troops to which he was attached, had ordered him to keep possession of a certain pass, important to the Americans, at all hazards, without any discretionary power as to contingencies. His command consisted of about forty light infantry and a number of Indians who stood the attack of a large body of the enemy and a company of cavalry, until there were only seventeen men left out of the forty. Near the close of the combat the officer who led the charge rushed upon him with his sword. Captain Goodale with a loaded musket, which he had probably picked up from one of his fallen men, shot the Briton dead from his horse as he approached. In a moment another of the enemy, seeing the fall of his leader, sprang at him in desperation, with a full purpose to revenge his death. The musket being discharged, the only resourse was to parry the descending blow aimed at his head, in the best manner he could with the empty piece. It fell obliquely, being turned from it course by the musket and instead of splitting the skull of its intended victim glanced on the bone, peeling up a portion of the scalp several inches in length. The stunning effects of the blow felled him to the earth, but directly recovering, he rose to his feet In the meantime the Cavalryman, who had leaned forward in the saddle farther than prudent to give a certain death-stroke, lost his balance when the heavy sword glanced from the skull, and fell to the earth. The bayonet of Captain Goodale immediately pinned him to the ground and left him dead by the side of his leader. Thus two of the enemy fell by his hand in less than a minute. Seeing all prospect of further resistance useless he retreated with the balance of his men to an open woodland near the scene of action and secreted himself under a pile of brush. An Indian had hidden under another heap, where they might have remained in safety until dark and then escaped; but the Savage, having an opportunity to shoot one of the enemy who approached their hiding place, could not resist the chance to add another scalp to his trophies and shot him. The report of the gun revealed their hidingplace, and, being discovered, they were made prisoners. He remained for some time in the hands of the enemy, and when exchanged, his children related, that the British officers put poison in wine to which he was treated. He was sick for some time but recovered and resumed his place in the army. A narrative of his kidnapping and death is found in the account of Farmers Castle. An account of the dedication of a monument erected to his memory is recorded in the history of the Belpre Historical Society.[Source: A History of Belpre, Washington County, Ohio, by C. E. Dickinson, 1920, Transcribed by C. Anthony]

Austin Graves
Austin Graves, farmer, born February 9, 1855, Ross County, Ohio, and died February 14, 1920, Ross County, Ohio, son of Nelson Graves and Marina Peecher; married January 28, 1882, Ross County, Ohio to Adaline Gray, born March 20, 1863, Washington County, Ohio, died May 6, 1943, Ross County, Ohio; daughter of Jacob Gray and Jane Dutton. They had six children, all born in Ross County, Ohio. (1) Howard Graves was born September 9, 1882, and married Ada Remley. They had four children. (2) Carrie May Graves was born October 17, 1883, and died March 2, 1921, Ross County, Ohio and was married to Shannon Graves. They had two children. (3) Clinton was born January 23, 1886, and died July 13, 1971, Ross County, Ohio. He was married in 1911, Ross County, Ohio to Bessie E. Toler. They had one child. (4) Stella was born May 21, 1892, and died June 15, 1971, in Ross County, Ohio. She married Ophir O. Campbell. They had two children. (5) Marie Marina, was born September 3, 1895, and was married to Ernest Gates on January 12, 1914, Ross County, Ohio. Ernest was born June 28, 1893, in Ross County, Ohio and died April 28, 1974, Ross County, Ohio. He was the son of Lewis (Henry) Gates and Louella Shaw. They had seven children. (6) Beatrice was born April 18, 1898 and died January 18, 1978, in Ross County, Ohio. She was married June 10, 1916, to Earl Kelley. They had two children. [Extracted from: History of Ross County, Ohio, volume 3. Submitted by: Carla Mascara.]

Capt. William Gray

Capt. William Gray was born in Lynn, Mass., on the 26th of March, 1761. Being of a warm, active temperament, and the struggle for independence occupying tLe thoughts and conversation of all around him, he became early inspired with the determination of doing all in his power to aid the cause of his country, and entered the service of the United States, as a private soldier, at the age of seventeen years, or in the year 1778, and served to the close of the war. At the attack on Stony Point, he had been promoted, for his good conduct, to a lieutenant, and was among the first who scaled the walls of that fortress. At the close of the war he returned to his home, and married Miss Mary Diamond, of Salem. His uncle, the rich merchant, William Gray, for whom he was named, lived at that time in Salem, and from a humble situation in life, being bred a shoemaker, rose to be one of the richest merchants in Boston. He treated his nephew with great kindness ; and for many years, even after he moved to Ohio, annually sent him a sum of money, sufficient to aid very materially in the BUpport of his family. Soon after his marriage he resided in Danvers, where his two oldest children were born. In the autumn of 1787 he joined the Ohio Company, and had the charge of one of the wagons that transported the first band of pioneers on to the waters of the Ohio. On this wagon was written, in large letters, "For Ohio" His family was left in Danvers, and did not come out until 1790, in company with Maj. Ezra Putnam, from the same place. He joined the settlement at Waterford, and when the war of 1791 broke out, was chosen commander of the garrison erected for its defense, called Fort Tyler. By his good conduct and prudence, this fortress was preserved unharmed, although several times in great jeopardy. The situation was a very exposed one, on the extreme frontier. On the head waters of the Muskingum, which washed its foundations, were seated numerous tribes and villages of the hostile Indians, who, at almost any season of the year, could embark their whole force in canoes, and in forty-eight hours land at the garrison. Their approach might have thus been made in the most secret manner, without even the knowledge of the rangers, who constantly scoured the country, watching for signs of the Indians. But an overruling Providence diverted their attention to other quarters, and they passed the four years of war with but little loss of life, but much of property. Soon after the peace, and men could till the earth in safety, he bought a farm near the present town of Beverly, and lived there, highly respected, until the time of his death, in July, 1812. He was the father of ten children, nearly all of whom married, and their descendants are living in this county. [Source: A History of Belpre, Washington County, Ohio, by C. E. Dickinson, 1920, Transcribed by C. Anthony]

Griffin Greene, Esq.
Mr. Greene was born at Warwick, Rhode Island in 1749. Early in life he engaged in the business of a smith and anchor making, and later he and his cousin Jacob Green erected a forge for working in iron. He was also a cousin of General Nathaniel Greene. Both these men belonged to the sect of Quakers from which they were expelled on account of their interest in the war. He commenced his military career in 1775, by serving as Commissary to the Rhode Island troops, although in the previous year he had been trained to military exercises as a volunteer in the Company, to which his cousins Christopher and Nathaniel belonged, with many of the most active and prominent young men of the colony. In 1777 he was paymaster in the regiment commanded by Christopher Greene and during the attack on the fort at Red Bank was exposed to the shot of the enemy in taking a supply of powder to his countrymen. In 1778 his cousin Nathaniel Greene was appointed by Washington quartermaster general of the army, and Griffin became one of his deputies, continuing in that position until General Nathaniel Greene was placed in command of the southern army. In 1777 Mr. Greene engaged as a partner in a company for fitting out two brigantines as privateers, the coast being at that time pretty clear of British ships of War. These were called the Black Snake and the Rattle Snake; but before the one had time to erect its head and the other to shake its rattles in defiance of the British lion they were driven on shore at Sandy Hook in April 1778, by an enemy crusier, and lost. This was the fate of many American privateers and in the estimate it is probable that as much was lost as won by the colonies in this nefarious business. Mr. Griffin Greene wrote many letters concerning: public affairs during these eventful years. We will give one concerning Benedict Arnold.

Camp Tappan, Sept 9, 1780.
Treason! treason! of the blackest kind has been most providentially discovered. Gen. Arnold, who commanded at West Point, was in contact with the British Adjutant General for delivering into the enemy's hands all the forts and fortifications of that place. The plan was laid, the conditions settled and the time fixed for the execution. The adjutant General had been up to King's ferry to see Gen. Arnold and on his return to New York, near the White Plains was taken up by three military men who carried him prisoner to Major Jameson of Sheldons light-horse: and on his being searched, plans of the works, the strength of the garrison, and a hundred other observations necessary to be known in order to favor an attack, were all made out in Arnolds own hand writing. They were immediately sent to General Washington who was then on his return from Hartford. But unfortunately Jameson, from a false delicacy, reported to Gen. Arnold, that he had taken prisoner, one Anderson, which cave him time to just make his escape before General Washington jrot to the Point. The Adjutant general and one Mr. Joseph Smith are now both prisoners in this camp and doubtless will be hung tomorrow. We have only to lament that Arnold is not to greet the gallows with them. It appears, from an inquiry into Arnold's conduct that he is the most accomplished villian in the world; nothing can exceed his meanness. I am called upon to attend a court martial and cannot go further into this dark and wicked business. The military lads that took Mr. Andre deserve immortal honor and will be most liberally rewarded."

Mr. Greene came to Marietta in 1788 bringing beside his household goods a considerable number of valuable books. The first anchor made on the Ohio river, made for the brig St. Clair, was constructed under his direction. Soon after his arrival at Marietta Governor St. Clair commissioned him a justice of the peace and one of the Judges of the Court of Quarter Sessions. In 1789 he was made director of the Ohio Company in place of General Varnum,deceased, an office he held until the affairs of the company were closed. He joined the Belpre Association in 1790, and was a leading man in the colony, solemnizing marriages and settling civil disputes among them. In January, 1802 he was appointed Post Master at Marietta which office he held until his death. In July 1802 he was appointed collector for the district of Marietta by Thomas Jefferson. He was also inspector for the port of Marietta. Ships were built here and cleared from this port. He was a leader in the enterprise, already described, which discovered the Scioto Salt Spring. In person he was tall of genteel and accomplished manners, having seen and associated with much refined company and men of talents. As a man of genius he ranked with the first of the Ohio Company's settlers, abounding as it did with able men. He died in 1804 at the age of fifty-five. [Source: A History of Belpre, Washington County, Ohio, by C. E. Dickinson, 1920, Transcribed by C. Anthony]

Captain Alexander Griggs
CAPTAIN ALEXANDER GRIGGS, the "Father of Grand Forks," is one of the most widely known and highly esteemed men who cast their lot with North Dakota. He is now a resident of the state of Washington, but until recent years was engaged in navigation throughout the Red river district, and was identified with the financial growth of the city of Grand Forks and vicinity. Our subject was born at Marietta, Ohio, in October, 1838, and was a son of William and Esther (McGibbon) Griggs. He removed with his parents to St. Paul, Minnesota, when a boy, and later his family removed to Grand Forks, where his parents died. Our subject was reared and educated in St. Paul, and at an early age began running on the boats of the Mississippi River, and at the age of twenty years was given command of a boat. He continued there until 1870, and then, in company with others, went up the Red river to Fargo with a view of establishing a line of boats, and during that year the Hill, Griggs & Company Navigation Company was formed. In 1871 Mr. Griggs went to where Grand Forks is now located, and he entered a claim to the land on which the old town is located, and named the place Grand Forks on account of the junction of the two rivers. He continued to operated a line of boats between Grand Forks and Winnipeg for many years and continued in command until 1890. He was always active in the up building of the town of Grand Forks, and was one of the founders of the Second National Bank, of which institution he was president for many years. He also acted in the capacity of president of the First National Bank of East Grand Forks for some years, and established the gas works in company with William Budge, and was also a large owner in the Grand Forks Roller Mill. He served as railroad commissioner for some years, and was the third postmaster of Grand Forks and was mayor of the city. He assisted in building the two bridges across the river, and by his hearty support and influence endeared himself to the people as a man of active public spirit. In December, 1892, Mr. Griggs left Grand Forks on account of failing health, and is now engaged in boating on the Upper Columbia River. Our subject was married December 27, 1865, in Minnesota, to Miss Ettie I. Strong, a native of Brooklyn. Eight children, seven of whom are now living, have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Griggs, named as follows: Lois, now Mrs. W. H. Pringle; Ansel; Jennie; Esther; Bruce; James and Clifford. The family all reside in the state of Washington at present. Mr. Griggs is an ardent Democrat and is a man who keeps pace with the times. [Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Brenda Shaffer]

John T. Guitteau
John T. Guitteau, son of Benjamin Guitteau, was born in Fearing township, Washington county, Ohio, in 1821. He was educated at Marietta college; studied law with Hon. Arius Nye, of Marietta, and was admitted to the bar in 1842. He commenced practice at Urbana, Ohio, associated with Hon. Thomas Corwin, and about 1843 moved to Cincinnati. After a residence of three or four years at Cincinnati he removed to New York city, where he now resides, engaged in the practice of law. [History of Washington County, Ohio by H. Z. Williams, 1881 - transcribed by TK]

Charles A Guthrie
Has an interesting genealogy. Previous to the revolutionary war, about 1705, three brothers named Robert, James and John Guthrie came to America from Scotland. John settled in Litchfield county, Connecticut. His third son, Joseph, was married in that county, in 1795, and moved to Newberry settlement, Washington county, Ohio, where they made their home in a block house. He died in 1808. By a marriage previous to this he had two sons, Abagail and Truman. The last named came to Ohio July 1, 1788, and in the fall of that year he returned to Connecticut, where he remained a year, returning to Ohio the next summer. On his route he stopped at Yohagany river, Pennsylvania, where he helped in the harvest, and received as part pay a peck of wheat, which he brought on the saddle behind him to Warmer, Washington, county, Ohio, on the Muskingum river, where he sowed it, covering it with a hoe, and from this seed sprang the first wheat grown in Ohio. He was married to Elizabeth stone in 1796, and Charles Lysander Guthrie, the father of the subject of this sketch, was one of his sons, there being a family of seven boys. Charles L. settled in Cheshire township in 1835. He was born September 16, 1806, and was married to Almira Dunham, who was born November 20, 1812. They are both still alive, and reside in this township. Charles A. Guthrie was born in Cheshire township April 15, 1840. He was behind the counter as a clerk, book-keeper and partner in a general supply store for fifteen years. He was also interested in a flouring mill. In 1871 he went to Nebraska on a prospecting tour, returning in about two months, when he bought and settled on a part of the old Lindsey homestead, situated on Story's run, three miles west of the Ohio river. He was married to Sarah Lindsey in this township, April 15, 1863. She is a native of the township, born June 23, 1842. They have the following children: Augustus Lindsey, born February 24, 1866; Almira, November 5, 1867, died November 5, 1872; Homer Hiram, June 3, 1874; Hannah Laura, March 18, 1878. Mr. Guthrie was a soldier in the war of 1861. He enlisted in Company D, 141st Ohio National Guards, and served three months. Mrs. Guthrie's half-brother, James Lindsey, was a member of the 116th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was killed by a shell at Lynchburg, Virginia, in 1865. He left a wife and three children. Mr. Guthrie is interested in stock-raising, beside his farming. His wife's parents are William and Hannah (Lewis) Lindsey. Her father was born July 19, 1793, and her mother March 6, 1798. They came to this county in 1838. The postoffice address of Mr. Guthrie is Middleport Meigs county, Ohio. [SOURCE: History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c; James P. Averill; Hardesty & CO., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882.]

Genealogy Trails

© Copyright by GenealogyTrails