Ohio Genealogy Trails
Washington County,Ohio
- H -

Maj. Jonathan Haskell
Major Haskell was born in Rochester, Mass. in 1764 and entered the Army when twenty one years of age and served to the close of the war. He came to Marietta in 1788 and in 1789 joined the Belpre Association. On the breaking out of the Indian War he received a commission as Captain in the regular service and went to Rochester, Mass., where he recruited a Company of soldiers and returned with them to Marietta, in December, 1791, where he was stationed for the defense of that and the surrounding settlements, as soldiers had been withdrawn from Fort Harmar in 1790. He remained in Marietta until 1793 when he was commissioned Captain in the second sub legion under Gen. Wayne and joined the army on the frontier that summer. He was stationed at Fort Saint Clair, where he remained until June, 1794 when he was appointed to the command of the fourth Sub-division with the rank of Major, although his commission was not filed until Aug. 1796. After the war Maj. Haskell returned to his farm in Belpre where he died in 1814. A letter written by him to Griffin Greene and Benjamin I. Gilman gives a very graphic account of the celebrated campaign under General Wayne.

 The last time I wrote you was from Fort St. Clair, the date I have forgotten. In June last I was relieved from the Post and joined the fourth Sub-legion which I have commanded ever since. The 28th of July the army moved forward, consisting of about 1900 regulars and 1500 Militia from Kentucky, by the way of the battle ground, now Fort Recovery, then turned to the eastward and struck the Saint Marys in 20 miles, where we erected a small fort, and left a subaltern Command.—Crossed the St. Marys.—In four or five days march found the Anglaize,—continued down that river to where it formed a junction with the Miami of the Lakes—100 miles from Greenville by the route we took.—At this place we built a garrison and left a Maj. to command it, and the army proceeded down the river toward the Lake, 47 miles from this garrison until the 20th inst. In the morning about nine o'clock we found the Indians who had placed themselves for us. When the attack commenced we formed and charged them with our bayonets and pursued them two miles through a very bad thicket of woods, logs, and underbrush and with the charge of the Cavalry routed and defeated them. Our line extended in length one and a half miles and it was with difficulty we outflanked them. The prisoner, (a white man) we took, says they computed their number as 1200 Indians and 250 white men, Detroit Militia, in action. Our loss in the engagement was two officers killed, four officers wounded; about thirty soldiers killed and eighty wounded. The Indians suffered most, perhaps 40 or 50 of their killed fell into our hands. The prisoner was asked why they did not fight better. He said: we would give them no time to load their pieces but kept them constantly on the move. Two miles in advance of the action is a British Garrison established last Spring around which we marched within pistol shot. In the day time it was demanded but not given up. Our artillery not being sufficient and the place too strong to storm, it was not attempted but we burned their outhouses, destroyed their gardens, corn fields, and hay, within musket shot of the fort and down beyond them 8 or 9 miles without opposition. The 27th inst. we arrived here where our fort is and are to halt a few days to refresh. We have marched about 60 miles through the Indian villages and settlements and have destroyed several thousand acres of corn and all kinds of vegetables; burned their houses, furniture, tools, etc. A party have gone on to Fort Recovery for a supply of provisions for us. It is said that when they return we go up the Miami 60 miles to where the St. Marys forms a junction with the St Joseph and destroy all the corn in the country.
In great haste, I am, gentlemen, Your humble servant,

 Letter received by Mr. Gilman at Harmar Point, Oct. 13th, '94 and sent to Mr. Green.
Dr. Hildreth adds the following very appropriate words which give an insight into conditions at that time.
 "This letter describes, in plain terms the ruin and devastation that marked the course of the American Army. It might have been considered a wise policy to devote to destruction the dwellings, corn fields, gardens, and in fact every species of property that belonged to the hostile Savages, but it was also a most cruel policy. The British troops, in their inroads among the rebel settlements of the Revolutionary war, never conducted more barbarously. The Indian villages on the Miami and the Anglaize were snugly and comfortably built—were furnished with many convenient articles of housekeeping and clothing. They had large fields of corn and beans, with gardens of melons. Squashes and various other vegetables. Mr. Joseph Kelley of Marietta, then a boy of twelve years old, and for several years a prisoner with the Indians, who treated him kindly, and was adopted into a family as one of their children, was living at that time at the junction of the St. Marys and the Auglaize, the spot where Maj. Haskell says the army would next go, to complete their work of destruction. Mr. Kelley was there when an Indian runner announced that the American troops had arrived in the vicinity of the village. His friends had not expected them so soon, and with the utmost haste and consternation, the old men, with the women and children, the warriors being absent, hurried aboard their canoes, taking nothing with them but a few clothes and blankets, not having time to collect any provisions from their fields and gardens. The Sun was only an hour or two high when they departed, in as deep sorrow at the loss of their country and homes, as the Trojans of old when they evacuated their favorite city. Before the next day at noon their nice village was burnt to the ground; their cornfields of several hundred acres, just beginning to ripen, were cut down and trampled under foot by the horses and oxen of the invaders, while their melons and squashes were pulled up by the roots. The following winter the poor Indians, deprived of their stock of corn and beans, which were grown every year and laid up for their winter food as regularly as among the white people, suffered the extreme of want. Game was scarce in the country they retreated to on the west of the Miami, and what few deer and fish they could collect barely served to keep them alive. It was a cruel policy, but probably, subdued their Spartan courage more than two or three defeats, as for many years thereafter, until the days of Tecumseh, they remained at peace. [Source: A History of Belpre, Washington County, Ohio, by C. E. Dickinson, 1920, Transcribed by C. Anthony]

George Augustus Howe
George Augustus Howe, a well known and influential citizen of Washington County, was born in Belpre, Oct. 1, 1838, on the old Howe homestead where he has spent his life. His grandfather, Captain Perley Howe, was a native of Killingsley, Conn, and was one of the early settlers in Belpre. He married Persis, daughter of General Rufus Putnam, in 1798. He was commissioned Captain of the First Brigade, Third Division, of Washington County Militia, in 1803. At the time of Aaron Burr's Conspiracy his Company stood guard, and Captain Howe was a juror in the case. He was a teacher for many years, first in the old Stockade at Marietta, and later at Belpre, and often called "Master Howe." He was one of the founders of the Belpre Congregational Church and the first Deacon, an office he held until his death in 1855, at the age of eighty-eight. His son, Rufus William Howe, was born and spent his life on the Howe farm. In his youth he attended Marietta Academy and boarded in the family of his grand-father, Gen. Rufus Putnam. He married Lucy Eastman in 1833. She died September 22, 1834. He married for his second wife, Polly Proctor of Watertown, who was the mother of four children: viz. Joseph Perley, George, Augustus, Rufus William and Persis Putnam. He was a faithful member of the Congregational Church and being gifted as a musician he served as chorister forty-four years. He died July 24th, 1865.
George Augustus Howe, the second son of Rufus William, is the only member of the family now living. Besides the home schools he was educated in Amesville Academy. Plans were perfected for him to enter the law office of Judge Greene at Marietta, but the untimely death of the latter and the failing health of his father made it necessary for him to abandon this cherished hope, and he entered into partnership with his father on the farm.
When President Abraham Lincoln called for Volunteers at the beginning of the Civil War, 1861, Mr. Howe first entered the service, as a member of the Ohio National Guards, Company A, 46th Regiment, and served on guard duty for three months, after which he was honorably discharged. When President Lincoln issued another call for 200,000 men he again left his crops and aged father, and became a member of Co. H, 148 Regiment, Ohio Volunteers, serving faithfully as Corporal, until honorably discharged, September 14, 1864. Only four of one hundred and ten men in his company still survive. Mr. Howe was married to Charlotte Ann Wyatt, of Amesville, October 25, 1865. To them were born five children, Charlotte Wyatt, Mary Emily, Persis Putnam, also Blanche and Jessie who died in infancy; the others still survive. Mrs. Howe died November 5, 1878 and several years later Mr. Howe married Mary Stella Vance Chapman of College Hill, Hamilton County, Ohio, who was very active in the work of the Congregational church and president of its Missionary Society until her death in 1904. Mr. Howe has been a life long and active member and supporter of the Congregational Church and served as one of the Trustees until failing health prevented him from performing this service. For several years he has been a "shut in" during most of the Winter months but he has a wide reputation for never failing cheerfulness and genuine old time hospitality, and is always interested and willing to aid in whatever makes for the betterment of his fellow men. Mr. Howe died August 10, 1919, while this book was in press. [Source: A History of Belpre, Washington County, Ohio, by C. E. Dickinson, 1920, Transcribed by C. Anthony]

Capt. Perley Howe
Perley Howe when a young man came to Marietta during the first years of the Colony and married Persis, daughter of Gen. Rufus Putnam, May 2, 1798. Soon after this he removed to his farm about one mile west of Belpre Village. He was a school teacher for a number of years and was known as "Master Howe." He was considered one of the best teachers in the County. He was commissioned Capt. of the First Brigade, third division of the Washington County Militia in 1804 by Governor Tiffin. At the time of Burr's conspiracy this company stood guard and Captain Howe was a witness in the trial. He was the first Deacon of the Congregational church of Belpre and held the office until his death. Himself and family were prominent musicians in the church for two or three generations. He and his son entered into a business partnership, and at the close of a contract with several specifications to which they mutually agreed, they added the words, "and lastly we agree at all times to exemplify the Spirit of Christ." What a revolution would be wrought in business if all was conducted according to this principle. [Source: A History of Belpre, Washington County, Ohio, by C. E. Dickinson, 1920, Transcribed by C. Anthony]

Peter Howe
Howe, Peter. Died Nov. 3, 1831; buried in Watertown, Washington County, Ohio. Enlisted in Massachusetts, May, 1775. Capt. Isaac Baldwin, and John Hale, John Stark; Col. N. H. [Report of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution By The U. S. Government Printing Office, 1917 - Transcribed By TK]

James Augustus Hoyt
James Augustus, b. Aug. 17, 1831, in B. (Bedford, N. Y.); d. unmar., in Lower Salem, Ohio, in 1862. [A Genealogical History of the Hoyt, Haight, and Hight Families By David Webster Hoyt, 1871 - Transcribed By TK]

Nancy Emeline Hoyt
Nancy Emeline, b. ab. 1835, in B. (Bedford, N. Y.); d. unmar., in Lower Salem, Ohio, in 1852. [A Genealogical History of the Hoyt, Haight, and Hight Fa,ilies By David Webster Hoyt, 1871 - Transcribed By TK]

Stephen Clark Hoyt
Stephen Clark, b. in 1847, in Lower Salem, O.; m. Kate Unger; lived in Lower Salem, O., but now in Camanche, Iowa. [A Genealogical History of the Hoyt, Haight, and Hight Families By David Webster Hoyt, 1871 - Transcribed By TK]

Theodore Hoyt
Theodore, b. 1828, in Bedford, N.Y.; m. Annie Forrest; lived in Lower Salem, Ohio, but now in Camanche, Iowa; spells his name Hoyt. He was a soldier in the 36th Ohio Regiment. [A Genealogical History of the Hoyt, Haight, and Hight Families By David Webster Hoyt, 1871 - Transcribed By TK]

William Henry Hoyt
William Henry, b. Feb. 8, 1826, in N. Y. City; m. Adaline Vaughan, Jan. 3, 1850. He is a machinest; living in Camanche, Clinton Co., Iowa; spells his name Hoyt. He enlisted Oct. 3, 1861, in 16th Iowa In. Reg., promotedto Capt., 1862, brevet Maj., 1864; captured near Atlanta, Ga., July 22, 1864; held a prisoner of war till March 10, 1865. Chil.: Senora Adelaide, b. Feb. 10, 1851, in Marietta, Ohio; Arthur Wm. b. Oct. 30, 1854, in Camanche, Iowa, d. April 22, 1855; Andrew Wm., b. April 29, 1856; Freeman Vaughan, b. March 28, 1857. [ A Genealogical History of the Hoyt, Haight, and Hight Families By David Webster Hoyt, 1871 - Transcribed By TK]

Genealogy Trails

© Copyright by GenealogyTrails