Ohio Genealogy Trails
Washington County,Ohio
Biographies
- L -


John Lindsey Malster
John Lindsey Malster, a well-to-do agriculturist living in Palmer township, Washington County, owns a valuable farm of 415 acres, where he attends to general farming and the raising of stock. Mr. Malster was born August 16, 1824, in Palmer township, a son of William and Sarah (Baker) Malster, and grandson of Christopher and Margaret (Mahaffey) Malster. Christopher Malster was born in 1755, and remove from his home in Delaware to the State of Pennsylvania. Later he went to Ohio, where he lived until his demise, January 11, 1832. His son, William, was born December 11, 1795, and died February 12, 1876. William Malster married Sarah Baker. He had removed with his parents from Pennsylvania to Ohio, when quite young. Sarah Baker was a native of Delaware.
Nancy Breckenridge, a daughter of John and Agnes (Fleming) Breckenridge, became the wife of John Lindsey Malster. Mrs. Breckenridge was a native of Argyleshire, Scotland, where she was born May 12, 1798. She lived in Palmer township until her death July 7, 1838, and left a number of children, besides her husband, to mourn for her. Their daughter, nancy was born on May 15, 1833. Mr. and Mrs. Malster had a family of 10 children, as follows: Flora A., who married Charles S. Pugh, and has seven children; Sarah E., who married Edward Tompkins, and has four children; William B., deceased, who left a widow and one child to mourn his loss; Dr. John Charles, unmarried, who makes his home in Stromsburg, Nebraska; Alva L., who married Mary Nixon, and has three children; ALfred E. Living in single blessedness at home; Ella J.; Dr. Robert M., who is single and resides in Honolulu; Letah E., still at home; and Hattie deceased. The subject of this sketch does not belong to any secret order or to any church. In politics he has ever been a Democrat, and took great pleasure in voting for Cleveland and Bryan. He has a gentle, kindly manner to all, and oversees the farm work. Mr. Malster and his wife are highly esteemed by all who have the pleasure of their home surroundings are of the most pleasant nature.  [History of Marietta and Washington County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens, Volume II By Seymour J. Hathaway, 1902 - Transcribed by TK]

Lieutenant Richard D. Mason
Lieut. Richard D. Mason, the subject of this sketch, was born in Adams township, WashingtonCounty, son of Adolphus and Betsey B. Monroe. He received a common school education. He was elected second lieutenant of Company B, Ninth Ohio Cavalry, which rendezvoused at Camp Marietta, and was mustered in at Zanesville, January 17, 1863. From Zanesville the company moved to Camp Dennison, where they were armed and equpped. They then proceeded to Kentucky. LIeutenant Mason was with his company during its term of service up to the time of his death, acquitting himself with credit. After the seize of KNoxville, Lieutenant Mason was promoted to first lieutenant, and soon after obtained leave of absence to return home. While at home he was married to Elizabeth Shepard. Returning to his company at Pulaski, Tennessee, he was taken with chromic diarrhea and died on June 24, 1864. "Thus perished as gallant a young patriot as ever drew sword in defense of his country." [History of Marietta and Washington County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens Volume 2 By Seymour J. Hathaway, 1902 - Transcribed By TK]

Thomas Emery McKinney
McKinney, Thomas Emry, University of South Dakota, vermilion, S.D. Mathematics. Was born Hebron, W. Va., April 26, 1864. A. B., Marietta, 1887, A. M., 1890; Hopkins, 1889-1890, 1895-96; Fellow, Chicago, 1896-97, Ph. D., 1905. Instr. math. Marietta, 1887 89, prof. math., and Lee instructor astron., 1890-06; assoc. prof. math, Wesleyan, 1906-08; prof., South Dkota, 1908-09; math and astron., 1909-. Mem., Lick eclipse exped., Spain, 1905; assoc. ed. , "Sch. Science ad Math,: 1904- F. A. A.; Math Soc.; Health League; Pacific Astron, Soc. Continued fractions depending on a variable parameter. - Continued fractions. Joint author of Type or Standard courses, a Contribution to the Elective System.  [Herringshaw's American Blue-Book Of Biography By American Publishers's Association, 1915 - Transcribed By TK]

James Walter McLaren
Born at Marietta, Ohio, March 12, 1876. Attended Marietta Academy 1893-95; attended Marietta College 1896; attended Ohio University 1898; attended Ohio State University 1901-03, in the College of Engineering. Member Delta Tau Delta.  [The Ohio State University Quarterly by Ohio State University Association, 1912 - Transcribed By TK]

Return J. Meigs
Soldier, b in Middletown, CT 17 Dec 1734; d in the Cherokee agency, GA 28 Jan 1823. He marched with a company of light infantry to the vicinity of Boston immediately after the battle of Lexington, and was assigned to duty under Col Benedict Arnold with the rank of Major. He accompanied the expedition through Maine to Canada, and was captured in the assault on Quebec, but was exchanged during the following year. He then devoted his energies toward raising a regiment, and in 1777 was promoted to colonel. In May 1777, at the head of 170 men, he attacked the British troops at Sag Harbor, Long Island, making 90 prisoners, and destroying 12 vessels and much forage without the loss of a man. For this brilliant exploit, congress voted him thanks and a sword. Col Meigs commanded a regiment under Gen Anthony Wayne at the storming of Stony Point, and was honorably mentioned by Washington. Subsequently he served in various places until the close of the war. He was one of the earliest settlers in Ohio, going there in 1788, and he drew up a system of regulations for the first emigrants, that was posted on a large oak tree, near the confluence of Ohio and Muskingum rivers. In 1801 he was appointed Indian agent of the Cherokees, among whom he passed the remainder of his life. The origin of his name is of peculiar interest. He father when a young man, was very attentive to a fair Quakeress, who resided in the vicinity of Middletown, but he was unsuccessful in his suit and repeatedly rejected with "Nay, Jonathan, I respect thee much; but I cannot marry thee." But on his last visit, as she slowly mounted his horse, the relenting lady beckoned to him to stop, saying" "Return, Jonathan! Return, Jonathan!" These were the happiest words he had ever heard, he gave as a name to his first-born son. Col Meig's journal of the expedition to Quebec, which is said to be the best account extant, appeared in the "American Rememberancer" of 1776, and was published with an introduction written by Charles I Bushnell (New York, 1864). [Submitted by Gene Phillips]

Return J. Meigs, Jr.
The fourth governor of Ohio was Return Jonathan Meigs, Jr. He was of English ancestry, being a descendant of Vincent Meigs, who emigrated from Weymouth, England, to Weymouth, Massachusetts, about 1634. His father, Colonel Return Jonathan Meigs, won distinction during the Revolution at the battle of Sag Harbor. The latter was appointed a surveyor for the Ohio Company of Associates and arrived at Marietta in 1788 with the earliest immigrants.
R. J. Meigs, Jr., was born at Middletown, Connecticut, on November 17, 1764. Like his predecessor, Governor Huntington, he graduated from Yale in 1785, studied law, and was admitted to the Connecticut bar. In 1788 he married Sophia Wright and the same year followed his father to Marietta. There he practiced law, kept a store, engaged in farming, and served in numerous public offices.  When the first court was organized at Marietta in 1788, he was appointed clerk. In 1794 he was made the first postmaster at Marietta, and in 1798 he was appointed a judge of the territorial court. The following year he was elected to the territorial legislature, and in 1803 he was appointed chief justice of the newly organized state supreme court. He resigned from the court in October of the same year he was appointed in order to accept appointment as commandant of the United States troops and militia in the St. Charles district of Louisiana Territory. The next year he was appointed a judge in Louisiana, but in 1807 he requested and received an appointment as judge in Michigan Territory. He resigned, however, before assuming the post to become a candidate for governor of Ohio. He received a slight majority of the popular vote, but the general assembly declared him ineligible because of his residence outside the state during the four years preceding his election. The same legislature, however, appointed him to fill the vacancy in the United States Senate created by the resignation of John Smith. He was reelected to the senate for the next term but served only until May 1, 1810, when he resigned to run again for governor. The issue of the campaign, as in 1808, was the power of the courts to declare legislative acts unconstitutional. Meigs, a conservative Re- publican, had the support of the Federalists and Quids and was elected. He was reelected for a second term in 1812 over Thomas Scott by a vote of 11,859 to 7,903. The result indicated an anti-Tammany trend in state politics. It was during Meigs's first term that the general assembly located the permanent capital on the "high bank of the Scioto" opposite Franklinton and created a commission to plan for the construction of a statehouse and penitentiary. Meigs has the distinction of being the first governor on record to recommend the construction of a state prison. Although the power of the early governors of Ohio was strictly limited, Governor Meigs gave real leadership in the war of 1812 by recruiting 1,200 state militia in time for Hull's rendezvous at Dayton. At the time of Hull's surrender Meigs came in for severe criticism, but this was proved unjust and may have reacted in his favor in the 1812 campaign. In recognition of his war services President Madison appointed him postmaster general in 1814 and he resigned the governorship. He served as postmaster general until forced to retire in 1823 because of ill health. The rapid growth of the postal system made its administration extremely difficult, and this gave rise to charges of mismanagement. Two congressional investigations were held, but the gravest charge which could be proved was inefficiency. After resigning as postmaster general, Meigs returned to Marietta, where he died March 29, 1825. He is buried in Mound Cemetery, where his grave is marked by a monument bearing a long inscription reciting his public services and family devotion. He was survived by his wife and his only child, Mary. Governor Meigs was striking in personal appearance. He was tall, erect, and well proportioned. He had a high forehead, an aquiline nose, and penetrating black eyes under dark arched brows. His expression was intelligent and benign in keeping with his character. In his various offices he proved himself a worthy public servant who made a notable contribution to the early history of his state and the nation. Fort Meigs and Meigs County, Ohio, were named in his honor. [The Ohio Historical Society. Submitted by Gene Phillips]

Benjamin Miles
Captain Benjamin Miles, from Rutland, Mass., was an officer during the Revolution and one of the early settlers at Belpre. His farm was in the lower settlement. He bought on from the east some choice cattle, among them a pair of very large oxen which the Indians wantonly killed when they failed to capture A. W. Putnam and Nathaniel Fisher. Captain Miles was a substantial farmer and a man of influence. He built the first brick house in the settlement in which he had a tavern. The first town meeting in Belpre was held at his house. When the First Church was organized in Marietta in 1795 Captain Miles was chosen deacon for Belpre. He died at Belpre in 1817. [A History of Belpre, Washington County, Ohio, by C. E. Dickinson, 1920, Transcribed by C. Anthony]

James Miller
Was born in Beaver county, Pennsylvania, March 29, 1836; is a son of John and Sarah (Haines) Miller. He came to this county in 1871, and has helped administer the affairs of the county by filling the office of township treasurer three years and land appraiser in 1880, and also other offices. Mr. Miller's first marriage took place in Meigs county, Ohio, June 14, 1840. His wife was Harriet E., daughter of David and Elizabeth (Cummings) Grapes. She was born June 2, 1842, and died November 17, 1866, leaving three children, viz: Arnetta J., born May 24, 1861, resides at home, as do the other two; John E., February 14, 1863; David S., August 29, 1865. The second wife of Mr. Miller is Julia A. Barton, who was born in Columbiana county, Ohio, December 26, 1835. They were married in Gallia county, March 8, 1868, and have the following children: James A., born April 22, 1869; Isaac E., March 29, 1871; Cora L., January 25, 1873. Mrs. Miller was formerly married, in this county, to Dennis G. Armstrong, April 2, 1857. He was born in Washington county, Ohio, July 5, 1832. He was a son of Theodosia and Mary (Sprague) Armstrong. His death occurred June 21, 1864. The following are his children: Austin T., born January 3, 1858, resides in Meigs county, Ohio; Winafred M. (Coulter), September 16, 1859, resides in Meigs county, Ohio; Dennis A., February 3, 1862, resides in Meigs county. Mr. Miller's brother, William B., served in the war of the rebellion, enlisted in 1862 in the 7th Ohio Volunteer Cavalry for three years, and was discharged at the close of the war. Mrs. Miller's first husband, Dennis G. Armstrong, was also a soldier, enlisting in 1861 in the 53d Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He was wounded in a skirmish at Alatona Pass, Georgia, and died there in the hospital of his wounds, June 21, 1864, leaving a widow and three children. She had also a brother, Thomas A. Barton, who served in the late war, enlisting in 1862 in the 91st Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He joined Captain Blaser's sharp-shooters and was killed in an engagement near Harper's Ferry, in 1864. Mrs. Miller's grandfather, Thomas Barton, in 1862, the former at the age of 84 years, and the latter at 86 years. Mr. Miller is a farmer and proprietor of a saw-mill. His postoffice address is Alberta, Meigs county, Ohio. [History of Galallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County' Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c.; James P. Averill; Hardesty & Co., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo, 1882]

John Mills
Merchant and banker, was born December 2d, 1795, at Marietta, Washington county, Ohio, his father, William Mills, having removed thither from Massachusetts in 1792. The subject of the sketch received a good common school education, and when eighteen years of age entered the general store of Dudley Woodbridge as clerk. He remained there until 1816, when he commenced business for himself in connection with Mr. Woodbridge, under the firm name John Mills & Co. At the end of four years he purchased the interest of his partner, and afterward, for thirty years, pursued a successful mercantile career, establishing and carrying on branch stores in Parkersburg, West Virginia, jackson, Ohio, and Coolville, Athens county, Ohio. He retired from active mercantile life in 1860, since when he has been connected with the First National bank of Marietta as a director, and has also assisted in promoting some of the most successful manufacturing enterprised of the town. The Marietta Chair Company, one of the largest establishments of the kind in southeastern Ohio, owes its success largely to his financial management. During nearly the entire history of Marietta, its various industries have felt the influence of his superior buiness talents. The moral and educational interests of his native town have ever received his anxious consideration and aid; for these, he has always maintained, and the foundations of all true public prosperity. At the inception of Marietta College, in 1832, Mr. Mills was made a trustee, and continues (1879) ably to fulfil the duties of that office. His donations to that institution have been in the neighborhood of $25,000, given without ostentation, and as the needs of the college required. For seventeen years he was president of the Washington County Bible Society, and, with others, helped to make it one of the most efficient country auxiliaries of the American Bible Society. He first married, in 1824, Deborah Seden Wilson, a sister of the late Noah L. Wilson. She bore him two daughters, and died in 1842. He next married Dorothy Webster, daughter of James Webster, of Newburyport, Massachusetts, by whom he has two sons, John and William. [A Biographical Cyclopedia and Portrait Gallery of Distinguished Men, Part 2, By J. Fletcher Brennan and Egbert Cleave, 1879 - Transcribed By AFOFG]

William Webster Mills
Mills, William Webster, banker, born Marietta, O., Jan. 27, 1852; son of John and Dorothy (Webster) Mills; graduated from Marietta College, A.B., 1871; married, Marietta, O., Oct. 12, 1875, Betsey Gates. Engaged with banking firm of Elston & Co., Crawfordville, Ind., 1873-1878, President First National Bank of Marietta, 1878; president Ohio River Bridge and Ferry Co.; vice-president and director Parkersburg, Marietta & Interurban Railway Co.; director Marietta Chair Co, and Safe Cabinet Co. of Marietta; Union Gas & Electric Co. of Chicago, and Marietta, Columbus & Cleveland Railroad Co. Republican; Congregationalist. Secretary and treasurer Board of Trustees Marietta College; corporate member American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions; member Ohio Society of New York; director Congregational Home Missionary Society. Clubs: Unipon League (Chicago); Graduates (New York). Address: Marietta. [Herringshaw's American Blue-Book Of Biography By American Publishers's Association, 1915 - Transcribed By AFOFG]

William Mills
Capt. William Mills, a native of Boston, Massachusetts, father of Col. John Mills, of Marietta, and brother of Col. John Mills, Adjutant General of the United States troops, who died in Cincinnati. He was appointed by the Governor capain of artillery, in Jnauary, 1790. He was sometimes necessarily absent as administrator of his brother's estate in Cincinnati; subsequently he brought on his family, who resided in Marietta. [History of Marietta and Washing County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens, Volume I By Seymour J. Hathaway, 1902 - Transcribed by TK]

David S. Milne
David S. Milne, treasurer and manager of the Marietta Consolidated Gas Company, of Marietta, Ohio, is a risiong young business man, who is capable of obtaining the best results possible in his present position, and possesses the confidence of the company in no small degree. The Marietta Gas Company, of which D. S. Milne was treasurer and manager, was consolidated in May, 1902, with the Marietta Fuel Gas Company. Natural gas is furnished for fuel and light. The president of this company is H. A. Jamieson, of Warren, Pennsylvania, and W. J. Cram, of Marietta, Ohio, is vice-president. Mr. Milne was born in the State of New Jersey, and later moved to Hornellsville, New York. It was there that he first became identified with the gas business, to which he has given so much attention in his after life. For a time during his residence in New York he was associated with the Jamestown Gas plant and later was employed as superintendent in the building of several gas plants in that State, Pennsylvania and Ohio. He has made his home in Marietta since March 189, when he became interested in the gas plant there and for the past 12 years he has lived at the Bellevue Hotel. In social circles, Mr. Milne is a charter member of Lodge No. 477, B. P. O. E., of Marietta. He affiliates withthe K. O. T. M. of New York State, and is a Mason of high degree, being a Knight Templar, a member of the commandery at Hornellsville, New York, and of the Syrian Shrine, of Cincinnati, Ohio. He is popular among his friends, and in business life and is rapidly mounting the ladder of success. [History of Marietta and Washington County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens Volume 2 By Seymour J. Hathaway, 1902 - Transcribed By TK]

Edwin Knox Mitchell
Mitchell, Edwin Knox, professor church history; born in Locke, O., Dec. 23, 1854; son of Spencer and Harriet N. (Howard) Mitchell. He was graduated from Marietta College, B.A., 1878, D.D., 1896, Berlin University, 1884-85, 1891-92, Giessen University, 1885, and Gottingen University, 1885. He was installed pastor of the Memorial Presbyterian Church, St. Augustine, Fla., 1886-90; professor of the Graeco-Roman Church History, Hartford Theological Seminary, Hartford, since 1892. Professor Mitchell is a member of the American Historical Association, American Oriental Society, Society of Biblical Literature, hartford Archaeological Society, National Geographic Society; trustee of Marietta College and George Junior Republic of Connecticut, member of the Delta fraternity, and Phi Beta Kappa Society, the hartford Golf, University, Twentieth Century, Get-Together, and Congregational Clubs of hartford, and the Municipal Art Society. He married in Brooklyn, Jan. 20, 1887, Hetty Marquand Enos, and they had three children. Residence: 57 Gillette St. Office: Hosmer Hall, Hartford, Conn. [History of Marietta and Washing County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens, Volume I By Seymour J. Hathaway, 1902 - Transcribed by TK]

George F Mitchell
Is a son of John and Anna (Plumer) Mitchell, who came to this county in 1836. He was born in Washington county, Ohio, July 19, 1819. He was married in Gallipolis July 12, 1846, to Mary Lasley, who is a native of this county, born June 24, 1824. She is mother of the following children: Mary E., born July 23, 1847, resides in Cheshire; Charles R., May 2, 1851, resides at Point Pleasant, West Virginia; Viola M., December 3, 1854; George, October 16, 1856, died June 18, 1859; Edward R., October 1, 1863, resides in Cheshire; Milo L., December 20, 1866, resides in Cheshire. The parents of Mrs. Mitchell are Abraham and Nancy (Reynolds) Lasley, who came to this county in 1797. Mr. Mitchell was a soldier in the late war, serving in the 100-day volunteers. The mother of Mrs. Mitchell was a soldier in the late war, serving in the 100-day volunteers. The mother of Mrs. Mitchell was a sister of Reverend W. S. Plumer, D. D. LL. D., of Harmony Presbytery, North Carolina. Mr. Mitchell's grandfather was a soldier in the revolutionary war, and when peace was restored settled in Marietta, Ohio. Mr. Mitchell is a carpenter and joiner, residing in Cheshire, where he should be addressed. [SOURCE: History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c; James P. Averill; Hardesty & CO., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882]

Josiah Monroe
Capt. Josiah Monroe, a native of New Hampshore. He served through an commanded a companyat the close of the Revolution; he came on directly after the company and subsequently brought on his family; he died at Marietta, but has left a number of descendants, by his son, Joseph Monroe, and by his daughter, the wife of Col. Daniel Converse, in Muskingum County. Permit me to mention a circumstance to show how hard was the case with many Revolutionary officer and soldier. At the close of the war, in 1783, Captain Monroe returned home, purchased a small farm, amounting to about $1,000, paid a small part and got credit for the balance for four or five years, giving his brother-in-law, Captain Crosby, as surety, thinking by the time the money was due he should realize the money for his services - to the amount of $800, and interest. In 1787 final settlement of the notes would bring but 12 to 15 per cent on their nominal value. In 1788 he left his final settlement notes with his brother-in-law, who managed to keep off the execution until the Constitution was adopted, when they rose to 23 per cent above par and paid all demands. [History of Marietta and Washington County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens, Volume I By Seymour J. Hathaway, 1902 - Transcribed by TK]

Rev. John P. Mueller
Minister of the gospel in Walnut township, was born in Metternich, Germany, July 26, 1838. His parents, Christian and Gertrude (Hamacher) Mueller, live in Germany. He was united in marriage with Elizabeth C. Lauer in Parkersburg, West Virginia, November 20, 1877. She was born in Washington county, Ohio, September 10, 1846, and her parents, John and Margaret (Berg) Lauer, were born in Germany. Mr. Mueller settled in this county, March 17, 1877. Besides the profession of a minister he also follows that of teaching. Address, Sprinkle's Mill, Gallia county, Ohio. [SOURCE: History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c; James P. Averill; Hardesty & CO., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo 1882.]
 


BACK -- HOME
Genealogy Trails

© Copyright by GenealogyTrails