Ohio Genealogy Trails
Washington County,Ohio
- S -

Winthrop Sargent
Winthrop Sargent, a native of Boston, and secretary of the Norhtwest Territory. married the daughter of Gen. Benjamin Tupper, and resided in Marietta until the fall of 1790, when General Harmar was ordered down the river; he followed and tarried below. [History of Marietta and Washing County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens, Volume I By Seymour J. Hathaway, 1902 - Transcribed by AFOFG]

Edward J. Saylor, Sr.
Born: 1840
Died: 10 August 1910
Married: Elizabeth Margaret Scott (b. 9/25/1850 in Canada, d. 12/1/1938 in Sheffield)
Children (all born in Sheffield, Illinois)
Sarah P. (b. c. 1869, apparently died by 1938
Kate E. (b. 1871, d. 10/17/1948, married to Norm Wilson, lived in Buda and both buried in Sheffield Cemetery.)
Mary E. ("May") (b. c. 1873, d. 1917) Married to Edward Lars Peterson of Sheffield
Margaret E. (b. c. 1875, apparently died by 1938)
Alice E. (b. c. 1878, apparently died by 1938)
Edward John, Jr. (b. 6/2/1884 in Sheffield, Illinois, d. 7/9/1938 in Kewanee Hospital)
Benjamin (b. 2/22/1889, d. 12/26/1957, married to Nina, buried at Sheffield Cemetery.)

Pre-Civil War Biographical Information
1860 census (Census Place: Fairfield, Washington, Ohio; Roll: M653J048; Page: /19; Image: 237.) from Washington Co. Ohio lists Edward Saylor as having been born in the state of Ohio, that he was 20 years old (likely born in 1840) and living with the Philip Moore family. It also lists his occupation as farmer, so the inference is that he was a hired hand, although a family connection between Edward and the Moore family cannot be ruled out.

Civil War Participation
According to war records and his grave stone, Edward was a Civil War veteran of the 36lh Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment, which was formed in 1861 when Edward was 21 years old. He was a Private in Company F, and his regiment fought in many major battles. A statement in one of the two Bureau County Republican articles that were printed upon his death in 1910 stated that he had fought "in all the prominent battles of the east".

The 36th Ohio was formed at Marietta, Ohio, between July 30 and August 31, 1861. After training and drilling, the new regiment moved to Summerville in what is now West Virginia, on September 10. It initially served in the forces under George B. McClellan, and then engaged in several raids and operations in the region until August 1862, when it moved into the defenses of Washington, D.C. Shortly thereafter, the 36th participated in the Northern Virginia Campaign and fought in the Second Battle of Bull Run at Manassas, Virginia. During the subsequent Maryland Campaign, the 36th, as part of the Army of the Potomac, attacked Confederate forces on South Mountain and then took part in the Battle of Antietam on September 17.

In 1863, the regiment moved to Eastern Tennessee and participated in several actions, including the Battle of Hoover's Gap and smaller engagements near the Cumberland Gap. It then fought at Chickamauga in northern Georgia in September, where it was one of four regiments that comprised the 3rd Brigade of the Fourth Division of XIV Corps. The 36lh was also in action during the Chattanooga Campaign as one of seven regiments comprising the Third Division of the Army of the Cumberland's XIV Corps.  When the regiment's term of enlistment expired, the men voted to re-enlist in January 1864. They were part of Crook's Expedition against the Virginia & Tennessee Railroad in early May and fought in the Battle of Cloyd's Mountain on May 9 and in other smaller engagements in the region, as well as participating in many of the battles of the Valley Campaigns, including the Battle of Opequon near Winchester, Virginia. During that battle, the 36th came under the command of First Brigade commander, and future president of the United States, Rutherford B. Hayes, as part of the Army of West Virginia's Second Division.  The 36th Ohio Infantry was mustered out on July 27, 1865, when Edward was 25 years old. Between 1861 and 1865, the regiment lost 4 officers and 136 enlisted men killed in battle or who died from wounds, and 163 enlisted men who died from disease, for a total of 303 fatalities. Although Edward was fortunate not to have been killed, it is thought that he was among those wounded at some point during the 36th Ohio's four years of fighting.

Post-Civil War Biographical Information
Edward J. Saylor is listed in the Union Army's Civil War pension records. It is likely that he received the pension due to combat wounds, because prior to 1912 (Edward died in 1910) pensions were only granted to Union soldiers who had been wounded or who were disabled because of service-connected diseases. There is no record or mention in his obituary of any long standing disease. Exactly when, how and under what circumstances Edward J. Saylor relocated to Illinois after the Civil War is unknown, as is the date of his marriage to Elizabeth. Five years after the war ended, the federal census of 1870 shows them being married residents of Sheffield, Illinois. The census lists only one child, Sarah P., age 10 months, which means she was most likely born in the second half of 1869. It is also known(from her obituary in the Bureau County Republican) that his wife Elizabeth (aka "Lizzie", or Grandma Saylor, by family) came to Illinois from Canada in 1852 at the age of 2 1/2 and lived there continuously until her death at 88 years of age in 1938. Therefore, it is assumed that they were married after Edward's arrival in the Sheffield area and before the birth of Sarah in the second half of 1869. Both the 1870 and the 1880 census identify Pennsylvania as being the birthplace of both of Edward's parents, and the 1880 census lists his occupation as coal miner. The 1900 census shows that he, Lizzie and their two sons lived in Concord Township, Sheffield Village, but no occupation was listed for him at that time (when he was 60 years old). Lizzie, age 49, was listed as a Washerwoman and their son, Edward, age 15, was listed as a Teamster (wagon driver).

Edward's obituary, printed in the 1 September 1910 Bureau County Republican (BCR), states that he died at age 70 on Wednesday, 10 August 1910, at home, of cancer of the throat. Another article in the BCR a few days later stated that he had suffered greatly from the cancer and that death had come as a relief. It stated that he had been in the Civil War and had fought in "all the prominent battles of the east". It also stated that the Grand Army of the Republic (the largest Union Army veteran organization to come out of the Civil War) was in charge of the funeral services, which were held at his home. It said Reverend C. Poulson gave a short talk at the home, and that Edward was survived by his wife, two sons and four daughters. All five daughters (ages 11, 8, 7, 5 and 2) were identified as being household members in the 1880 census, so it is logical to conclude that one daughter died between 1880 and Edward's death in 1910. Lizzie's December 1938 obituary lists only one daughter, Kate, as a survivor. Kate died in 1948. Therefore, one daughter died between 1880 and 1910, three between 1910 and 1938, including "May" who died in 1917, and the last daughter to die was Kate, in 1948.

Photographic Record
Photo of Edward Saylor's Grave in Sheffield, Illinois Cemetery, Lot 28.
The headstone inscription reads: CO. F 36 OHIO INF:
[Submitted by Larry Peterson]

Thomas Mackey Sechler
Sechler, Thomas Mackey, soldier, manufacturer, was born Oct. 25, 1841, in Milton, Pa. He was educated in the high schools of Ironton and Cincinnati, Ohio; and in 1863 graduated from Marietta college where he subsequently received the degrees of A. B. and A. M. In 1863-65 he served in the civil war; and was promoted through the various grades of first lieutenant, acting assistant quartermaster and acting assistant adjutant-general ad provost marshal. In 1866-69 he was engaged in the iron business in Cincinnati, Ohio; and in 1869-71 was in the same business in Montgomery county, Tenn. In 1877-88 he was a carriage manufacturer of Cincinnati, Ohio; and since 1897 has been engaged in the manufactureing of carriages, corn planters, and other planting tools and implements. He is president of two carriage companies; presidnet of the Wright body carriage body company; director of the Mutual wheel company; director of the American harvesting company; and until 1907 was vice-president of the state savings bank and trust company of Moline, Ill. He was a director of the Cincinnati technical school; and for a time was trustee of the Moline public library. [Herringshaw's National Library of American Biography By Thomas William Herringshaw, 1914 - Transcribed By TK]

Benjamin Shaw
Benjamin Shaw, from Beverly, Massachusetts, came early to the country and settled at Waterford; he was a good citizen and a substantial farmer. He had a large family, who now hold reputable and respectable stations in society; his oldest daughter married Benjamon Dana, of Waterford; his youngest son, Boylston Shaw, now resides on and inherits the paternal property at Waterford. [History of Marietta and Washing County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens, Volume I By Seymour J. Hathaway, 1902 - Transcribed by TK]

Enoch Shepard
Capt. Enoch Shepard, from Massachusetts, and brother to General Shepard, who commanded at Springfield when General Shays attacked the arsenal, came early to the county with a large family of children, one of whom still lives in Marietta, the wife of Maj. John Clark. He was a substantial, intelligent business man. In the summer and fall of 1790, in company with Colonel Sproat, he expended a large amount of labor and property in errecting a saw-mill and grist-mill on a large scale. They had the frames and machinery ready for operation on the site where Robinson's mill stands, on Duck Creek, when the war stopped their operations and the mils were burned by the Indians, and the whole was a dead loss. But the industry can enterprise were not cramped bu this misfortune, for many undertakings of magnitude and utility, after that, were executed by his judgement and perseverance. [History of Marietta and Washing County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens, Volume I By Seymour J. Hathaway, 1902 - Transcribed by TK]

Benjamin Sibley
Was born in Tolland county, Connecticut, March 28, 1812. He came to this county in 1838, and settled in this township in 1839, and since that time there has been a great change; there are but two families here now who were residents at that time; real estate has advanced since he came here about 500 per cent; the number of schools have doubled. Mr. Sibley was married to Mary Reynolds in Cabell county, West Virginia, January 25, 1839. She was born in Washington county, Ohio, October 19, 1819. She died March 28, 1879. She is mother of the following children: Marshall L., born December 13, 1839, resides in this township; Joseph A., October 23, 1841, died June 6, 1869; Charles W., twin, October 23, 1841, died in infancy; Charles W., August 6, 1843, died June 6, 1869; Zuba L., November 17, 1845, died June 6, 1869; Benjamin F., April 6, 1848, resides at home; Lorongo D., April 9, 1850, resides in Scott county, Missouri; Ira E., January 10, 1853, resides in Wappello county, Iowa; Harvey F., September 30, 1854, resides at home; Mary E. (Crum), September 25, 1856, resides in this township; Tryphena I., February 11, 1859, at home; Sarah C., May 6, 1861, died March 26, 1867; Julia G., August 20, 1863, resides at home. Three of the above named children, viz.: Joseph A., Charles W., and Zuba L., were drowned while boat-riding on the Ohio river, with four others, who also were drowned. The parents of Mr. Sibley are Aaron and Tryphena (Agard) Sibley. Mrs. Sibley's parents are Luke and Isabel (Bar) Reynolds, settlers of this county in 1839. Mr. Sibley has been justice of the peace three years, and township trustee for a number of ears. He is engaged in farming. His postoffice address is Swan Creek, Gallia county, Ohio. [History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c; James P. Averill; Hardesty & CO., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882.]

Hiram Luther Sibley
Sibley, Hiram Luther, soldier, lawyer, jurist, author, was born May 4, 1836, in Gustavus, Ohio. In 1878 he received the degree of M. A. from Marietta college; and in 1893 received the honorary degree of LL.D. from Claflin university. In 1860 he was elected county cler of Meigs county, Ohio. In 1862-65 he was lieutenant in the one hundred and sixteenth regiment Ohio volunteer infantry. In 1865 he was admitted to the practice of law and in 1866 began to practice at Marietta, Ohio. In 1883-97 he was judge of the court of common pleas; and in 1897-1903 was judge of the circuit court. In 1906 he was appointed a member of the commission to revise and consolidated the laws of Ohio. He is the author of Rights and Cause for Action. [Herringshaw's National Library of American Biography By Thomas William Herringshaw, 1914 - Transcribed By TK]

William Skinner
William Skinner, Esq., was a native of Pennsylvania, and one of the first settlers in the county, and was engaged in mercantile business, under the firm name of Skinner & McKinley. He was the second high sheriff, and the first under our Constitution. His descendants are too conspicous to require any firther relation from me. [History of Marietta and Washing County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens, Volume I By Seymour J. Hathaway, 1902 - Transcribed by TK]

Ebeneezer Sproat
Sproat, Ebeneezer, soldier, civil engineer, was born in 1752 in Middleborough, Mass. In 1775 he entered the army as a captain; and became a lieutenant-colonel. He was subsequently a surveyor of Providence, R. I. He died in February, 1805, in Marietta, Ohio. [Herringshaw's National Library of American Biography By Thomas William Herringshaw, 1914 - Transcribed By TK]

Col. William Stacey
Col. Stacey was a native of Massachusetts, and a proprietor in the Ohio Company. He came early to the Northwest Territory, and settled in Washington county. In the forepart of his life he lived on the sea-coast, probably Salem, and was engaged in sea-faring business. Finding himself surrounded by a rapidly increasing family, he removed to New Salem, in the county of Hampshire, Mass., and entered on the life of a farmer. He was much respected by his fellow townsmen, and was promoted in the military service. In Barber's Historical Sketches of Massachusetts, is the following notice of Col. Stacey, copied from the Barre Gazette:   "The news of the battle of Lexington flew through New England like wild-fire. The swift horseman with his red flag proclaimed it in every village, and made the stirring call upon the patriots to move forward in defense of the rights so ruthlessly invaded, and now sealed with the martyrs blood. Putnam, it will be recollected, left his plow in the furrow, and led his gallant band to Cambridge. Such instances of promptness and devotion were not rare. We love tbe following instance of the display of fervid patriotism, from an eye witness, one of those valued relics of the band of '76, whom now a grateful nation delights to honor.
 When the intelligence reached New Salem, in this state, the people were hastily assembled on the village green by the notes of alarm. Every man came with his gun and other preparations for a short march. The militia of the town were then divided into two companies, one of which was commanded by a Capt. G. This company was paraded before much consultation had been held on the proper steps to be taken in the emergency, and while determination was expressed on almost every countenance, the men stood silently leaning on their muskets, awaiting the movement of the spirit in the officers. The captain was supposed to be tinctured with Toryism, and his present indecision and backwardness were ample proofs, if not of his attachment to royalty, at least of his unfitness to lead a patriot band. Some murmurs began to be heard, when the first lieutenant, William Stacey, stepped out of the line, took off his hat, and addressed them. He was of stout heart, but of few words. Pulling his commission from his pocket, he said, 'Fellow soldiers, I don't know exactly how it is with the rest of you, but for one, I will no longer serve a king that murders my own countrymen;' and tearing the paper in a hundred pieces, he trod them under his feet. Sober as were the people by habit and natural disposition, they could not refrain from a loud huzza, as he stepped back into the ranks. Capt. G, still faltered, and made a feeble endeavor to restore order, but they heeded him as little as the wind. The company was summarily disbanded, and a re-organization took place on the spot. The gallant Stacey was unanimously chosen captain, and with a prouder commission than was ever borne on parchment, he led a small but resolute band to Cambridge. He continued in service during the war, reaching, before its close, the rank of lieutenant-colonel, under the command of Putnam." In 1778, Capt. Stacey had risen by his merits to the rank of a lieutenant-colonel, not in Col. Putnam's regiment, but in Col. Ichabod Alden's, of the Massachusetts line. The first of July, that year, the Indians, and Tories sacked and destroyed the settlement of Wyoming, on the Susquehanna river. They now threatened and had partly de-populated, the settlement of Cherry valley, which lies on the head waters of the eastern branch of that stream, fifty-two miles northwest of Albany, in the present county of Otsego, but then Tryon county, N. Y. It was a beautiful valley, noted for its fertility and picturesque scenery, being first settled as early as 1739, but greatly harassed by the Tories, who formed nearly half of the inhabitants of that county, and were friends to the crown, to which they were partly induced from the popularity and high standing of Sir Guy Johnson, who lived in the northern part of the county, and probably from respect to the governor of the State while under the king, for whom it was named Late in the summer of 1778, Col. Alden's regiment was ordered up to Cherry valley, for the protection of the inhabitants. A stockaded garrison had been previously built around their little church, and the regiment of about two hundred men took possession of it. Being rather straitened for quarters, several of the officers lodged at the houses of the adjacent inhabitants. Alden and Stacey, with a small guard of soldiers, quartered in the house of a Mr. Wells, not more than a quarter of a mile from the garrison. On the 6th of November, Col. Alden received a letter from Fort Schuyler, now in Oneida county, distant about forty miles northwest, near the head of the Mohawk, saying that an Oneida Indian, whose tribe was friendly to the United States, had told them that the Indians and Tories, under a son of Col. Butler, were assembling on the Tioga river, a northerly branch of the Susquehanna, which passes through the country of the Seneca Indians, for the purpose of attacking the fort and settlement of Cherry valley. Butler had been a prisoner with the Americans, and confined in Albany jail, a short time before, but had escaped, and was now seeking revenge. Being notified of this intended attack, he sent out scouting parties to watch their approach, although he did not actually apprehend any danger, even after this timely warning. The inhabitants, better aware of their peril, made application to the commander to be admitted within the fort, but as it was only large enough for his own men, he declined, saying it would be time enough when they were certain of the approach of the enemy. Being unacquainted with Indian warfare, he did not take shelter within the fort himself. The scout, which was sent down that branch of the river which waters the valley, having kindled a fire, were surprised in their camp and taken prisoners, so that they could not give the alarm of the advance of the Indians as he had expected. From these prisoners, Butler and Brant learned the condition of the settlement and the houses where the officers slept, being themselves familiar and acquainted in the valley before the war.

 Early on the morning of the 11th of November, an army of five hundred Indians and two hundred Tories entered the settlement undiscovered, and began the attack on the scat tered dwellings near the fort. Before they reached Wells', the house where he quartered, a man on horseback gave notice of their approach. He was still persuaded there was only a small body of Indians, but on their coming in sight he directly ran for the fort, closely pursued by an Indian, who after calling on him to surrender, which he refused, snapping his pistol at him, he threw his tomahawk, striking him on the head and felling him to the ground. The Indian then scalped him, and thus he was the first to suffer from his criminal neglect. Before Col. Stacey could leave the house, it was surrounded by the Indians, and he was taken prisoner with a few of the guard, while all the women and children were killed. It was a damp, rainy morning, and the powder of the out-door guards was wet, so that their arms were useless, which was one reason of there being so little resistance. After a feeble attack on the fort, they departed with their scalps and prisoners, killing about forty of the inhabitants. Joseph Brant, who commanded the Indians, saved the lives of a number of families, making them prisoners, while Butler and the Tories under his command, spared very few that fell into their hands. The Indians, in their return to their own country on the Genesee river, passed down the Cherry valley branch of the Susquehanna to its junction with the Tioga fork, and up that stream over to the Seneca lake, and onward to an Indian town that stood near the present beautiful village of Geneva, distant more than two hundred miles, by the route they traveled, from Cherry valley. Here the revengeful savages who had taken Col. Stacey prisoner, after holding a council, decided on burning him at the stake. It has for ages been the practice of the Indians in their attacks, to take some prisoners for this purpose, that the young Indians and squaws may share in their revenge on their enemies. Being devoted to this dreadful death, he was tied to the stake, the fire kindled, and he thought his last hour was come. Seeing the noble-minded Brant in the throng, and having probably heard that he was a Freemason, he made the well known sign of the fraternity, which was instantly recognized by the quick eye of the Indian. His influence was almost unlimited amongst'the northern tribes of New York, and he persuaded them to release their victim, thus adding one more to the number of lives saved by his humanity. Soon after this he was adopted into an Indian family. At the time of the invasion of the country of the Senecas in 1779, by Gen. Sullivan, when their villages, orchards, and crops of corn, were totally destroyed, many of them retreated to Fort Niagara, then in the hands of the British. Amongst others, Col. Stacey was taken there by the family to which he was attached. While here, Mr. Campbell, the author of the history of Tryon county, from whom some of these events are copied, says, "Lieut. Col. Stacey, who had been taken prisoner at Cherry valley, was also at the Fort Molly. Brant, the sister of Joseph, and former mistress of Sir William Johnson, had, from some cause, a deadly hostility to him. She resorted to the Indian method of dreaming. She told Col. Butler that she dreamed she had the Yankee's head, and that she and the Indians were kicking it about the fort. Col. Butler ordered a small keg of rum to be painted and given to her. This, for a short time, appeased her, but she dreamed a second time that she had the Yankee's head, with his hat on, and she and the Indians kicked it about the fort for a foot ball. Col. Butler ordered another keg of rum to be given to her, and then told her, decidedly, that Col. Stacey should not be given up to the Indians. Apart from this circumstance, I know nothing disreputable to Molly Brant.
 On the contrary, she appears to have had just views of her duties. She was careful of the education of her children, and some of them were respectably married. Col. Stacey remained a prisoner over four years, and was then exchanged. He returned to his home in New Salem, and in 1789 moved with his family, consisting of his wife, five sons, and a son-in-law, with their families, to the Ohio, and settled in Marietta. Two of his sons, John and Philemon, joined the settlement in Big Bottom, formed in the fall of 1790. The 2d of January, following, the block-house was taken by surprise, and fourteen of the inmates were killed; amongst the slain was his son John, while Philemon, a lad of sixteen years, was taken prisoner, and died in captivity. Col. Stacey feeling anxious for the safety of the new settlement, and the welfare of his sons, visited the post the day before the attack; and although the Indians pretended to be friendly, well knowing their wiles from former experience, gave the young men strict orders to keep a regular guard, and strongly bar the door of the house at sunset, and not open it again until sunrise, even although it was the depth of winter. They neglected his advice, and perished. During the war he lived in a small block-house, at the Point in Marietta, on the bank of the Ohio, and is figured in the drawing of that place, in the preceding volume. He had the charge of overseeing the construction of these works in January, 1791. His remaining sons and son-in-law settled in this county, and left a numerous posterity, who still reside here. His youngest son, Gideon, settled in New Orleans, and established a ferry across Lake Pontchartrain, and was there lost. After the death of his first wife, Col. Stacey married Mrs. Sheffield, a widow lady from Rhode Island, and owned four shares of land in the Ohio Company. She was the mother of the wife of Maj. Zeigler, Mr. Charles Green, and Isaac Pierce, Esq., a woman of highly cultivated mind, lady-like manners, and agreeable person. He died in Marietta, in the year 1804, and was a man greatly esteemed for his many excellent qualities. [Biographical And Historical Memoirs Of The Early Pioneers Of Ohio, 1775, By Samuel P. Hildreth 1852 - Transcribed by C. Anthony]

Jonathan Stone
Capt. Jonathan Stone, from New Brontill, Massachusetts, was a soldier and an officer during the Revolution. He commanded a company of light infantry, and was principally engaged in partisan warfare, where his station was near the lines which separated the antagonistic troops, by which he was subjected to numerous perils, which demanded the utmost vigilance ad activity, both of the soldier and the officer. Early in life he had qualified himself as a practical surveyor, and subsequent to the Indian war completed the survey of the Ohio Company's Purchase, in company with Jeffrey Madison. He was run for a member of the first Territorial Legislature; but his chief characteristic was that of an intelligent and substantial farmer, and an industrious and useful citizen. [History of Marietta and Washing County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens, Volume I By Seymour J. Hathaway, 1902 - Transcribed by TK]

Genealogy Trails

© Copyright by GenealogyTrails