Ohio Genealogy Trails
Washington County, Ohio
The Old Ludlow Grove Burying Ground


The Old Ludlow Grove Burying Ground.  
How the Bones of Our Ancestors of Three Generations Ago Are Being Used to Make a Public Highway.
The old Ludlow burying-ground at Ludlow Grove, which was donated for a free burying-ground over seventy years ago by John Ludlow, one of the pioneers of Southern Ohio, and who was a Sheriff of Hamilton County in 1796, before Ohio was admitted into the Union as a State in 1802, is rapidly being obliterated by the march of improvements. The grounds comprised about two acres, and contained the remains of not less than two thousand persons. It was used by the pioneers and their children from all parts of the surrounding country, nothing but the roughest stone used to mark the graves in the majority of cases, and the last interments were made about thirty years ago, five years previous to the opening of Spring Grove Cemetery, at which time several removals were made to the latter place. Before this time the Ludlow burying-grounds were used by the various families of Millcreek valley, and there are probably but very few of the old families that can not point to a representative of the past generation buried here.
But time obliterates these old burying-grounds and new ones reappear in other localities. The march of events wipes them out ruthlessly, especially after they have become disused. It was found necessary to build an avenue from the County bridge, in process of erection across Ross Run, to Ludlow Grove Stations, on the Marietta Railroad, and in so doing, an excavation of more than twelve feet was required in the Grove, and a corresponding fill with the material thus taken out to be put in the hollow near the south-eastern abutment of the bridge to make the proper grade. The avenue cuts the eastern margin of these burying grounds, and during the progress of the work last week, several human skeletons were unearthed. The various bones, however, were detached and in a crumbling condition. Our reporter was informed yesterday by several reliable citizens of Ludlow Grove and vicinity that about a half dozen relics of different skeletons had been thus exhumed, and in one instance one was found face downward, and of gigantic proportions, the thigh-bone being about thirty inches long. It must have belonged to the race of giants, and this specimen is thought to have been not less than eight feet high.  Much complaint is found against the contractor building the avenue for not sorting out the bones as they were found and laying them to one side. Instead of doing this they were shoveled into the carts promiscuously, together with the earth, and put in the common dump to contribute to the construction of the avenue. "To what base uses do we come at last!" [Source: Cincinnati Daily Enquirer, April 3, 1871 - Transcribed by C. Anthony]


BACK -- HOME
Genealogy Trails

© Copyright by GenealogyTrails