Ohio Genealogy Trails
Washington County,Ohio
Township Histories


NEWPORT
A history of Pleasants county [West Virginia] would be incomplete without more than a passing allusion to the village or town of Newport, on the Ohio side of the river, directly opposite the old shipping port of Vaucluse. Although it is outside of the political limits of the county, yet it has had a great deal to do, directly and indirectly, with the development of the land on the West Virginia shore. For many years before Vaucluse was established the stores at Newport afforded facilities for commerce and were frequented by our people, and the old mill at that village was depended upon for the grinding of corn and wheat. I am indebted to Miss Eleanor F. Adkins of Newport for information concerning the early history of that place.

In the spring of 1798, ten years after the first settlement was made at Marietta, the Dana family came from Massachusetts and made a new home on the broad bottom land which became the site of Newport. They were soon followed by the Greene family, coming from Rhode Island, and it was not long until a large clearing had been made in the forest and several rude but comfortable log cabins were erected. But such habitations were not satisfactory to these people from New England, who had been accustomed to more substantial homes, and in 1808 Daniel Greene built the first brick house, that now is occupied by the Greenwoods. The Adkins home, just above the town, was built in 1810 by Luther Dana, and was for many years conducted as an inn or tavern, the old sign "Temperance House," even now resting in the attic. The old river road originally passed between this house and the river, and it was in this building that the first postoffice was located. It requires no great stretch of fancy to picture Temperance House as the temporary lodging of many eminent travelers, and one tradition is that William Henry Harrison campaigning for the Presidency in 1840, delivered an address in the shade of a large sycamore, whose stump still may be seen in the lawn. In 1815 William Dana built the third brick house near Milltown, and the fourth brick house, erected several years afterward, was that now occupied by the Greenes.

The famous old stone mill at Milltown was built about 1815. It is said that William Dana's sympathy was aroused for a number of Irish families who had been stranded here over the Winter, and in return for his kindness in providing them with food and shelter they dug and walled the mill race. This tradition reminds me of a similar one on the West Virginia side of the river. It has often been related that after the completion of the Baltimore and Ohio railroad to Parkersburg the Irish workmen who had been employed in its construction struck across the country to St. Marys for the purpose of embarking on a steamboat, but the river became closed with ice, and they were doomed to spend the Winter in this neighborhood. In return for housing and food, they are said to have erected the stone walls or fences which yet stand along the roads on either side of Middle Island creek about a mile from its mouth.

Near the old mill is the famous elm, a magnificent tree rising to the height of one hundred feet, and measuring twenty-nine feet around its trunk.

For many years the old brick building at the top of the Newport wharf has been a landmark. It was built probably along in the forties, and used as a store until the great flood of 1913, since when it, has served as a town hall and a polling place.

Ebenezer Battelle is credited with building the first log house of considerable size, which in liater years was covered with weather-boarding and is now occupied by the Gale sisters.

Other early settlers mentioned were the Newport, Bosworth, Ferguson, Little, Adkins, Greenwood, Reynolds, Edgell, Hayes and Gale families. It has been supposed by some that the town derived its name from the first of those families mentioned above, but the name was actually taken from the city in Rhode Island. It was not until 1839, more than forty years after the first settlement, that the town was platted into regular streets and lots by Ebenezer Battellle.

Caleb Greene conducted the first school in his own home in 1801, and three years later the first schoolhouse was erected, 26x36 feet in dimension, heated from a large open fireplace, and lighted through greased paper windows. It stood in the Haysville community, and was replaced with a brick structure. Later two grade schools were established, one at Milltown and the other at Newport, and also a high, school at the latter place. The people of that vicinity have always born a high reputation for educational culture. A resident of Newport, Erastus Adkins, was a member of the second class graduated from Marietta College, in 1839, and since that time the community has produced many college and university graduates.

In the matter of religion, also, Newport has stood well in the front. As elsewhere, services were first held in private homes and in school houses, but when the first Methodist society was organized in 1825 with about twenty members, it was held necessary to have a building of their own, so four years later the first house of worship was erected. Forty years afterward a new and larger edifice was built, and the old structure was transformed into the township high school.

A Presbyterian society was formed in 1838, holding services in the school house, the (ministers coming from Marietta, one being the Rev. Henry Smith, a former president of Marietta College. The society was not strong enough to build, and in 1869 it disbanded, the membership being transferred to the Marietta church of that denomination.

In the early days the Baptists formed part of the Little Muskingum organization, but meetings were held in the school house at Newport until 1841, when a church was built, which was dedicated in the following year, about twenty years after the first recorded meeting was held.

About twenty years ago the Church of Christ established an organization, which has been continued under the supervision of the denomination at St. Marys.

Newport has never possessed any large manufacturing industries. In the early days of oil production there were several cooper shops. Later a Somali cigar factory operated for a few years. After the old mill at Milltown ceased to function, another was built on the river bank, operated first by horse power and later by steam. This mill did a large business for several years, and for a time, the company maintained a branch warehouse in St. Marys.

The village of about six hundred people is beautifully located on a broad river bottom that rises gently from the water edge to a considerable height above flood stage, the main street skirting the foot of the solitary hill described in a former chapter of this book as having once been probably circled by the Ohio river. The large area available gives plenty of space for detached residences, each surrounded by lawns or gardens, giving an air of ease and Comfort. Like most of the towns on the Ohio side of the river, it has been known for many years as a "steamboat town," that is to say, many of the people have been and still are interested in river navigation. This is especially true of the Greene and Greenwood families, who have long been owners and navigators of steamboats.

Newport is also a "good roads" town, being on Ohio State Road 7, extending along the river from Cincinnati up to Pittsburgh, besides on North National Road 50, which crosses the river over the new bridge at St. Marys, affording easy and direct communication to all parts of the nation.

Many points of interest are in the vicinity, and the view from the "Lone Tree Hill" sometimes known as "Adkins Point," is famous for its great scope of vision up and down the Ohio. The well-kept cemetery attracts many visitors and its beautiful and orderly condition is a certain index of the thrift and culture of the people. The hrst burial in it was that of Nathaniel Little in l808, and it contains the remains of most of the early settlers.

I recall that several years ago a resident of Newport pointed to a peculiar work on the side of one of the low sandy hills in the edge of the town, saying that it was an uncompleted race track. If so, the curious feature of the attempt was the inversion of the usual construction of such a course. Instead of having the track in an open arena, visible from the surrounding grounds, this peculiar track wound around on the outside of the hill, the spectators having their stand in the center and looking down upon the entire performance. Why the novel project was abandoned was not revealed.

But perhaps it could not be called so eccentric as the work of Benjamin W. Willard on Cow Creek in Pleasants county. He was an early settler, said to have been contemporary with Christian Schultz, and like the latter was evidently a well-read man, judging from the books in his library, an appraisement list of them being on record m the county clerk's office.

In the days "before the war," when Mr. Willard was getting up in years, he entertained an idea of constructing his sarcophagus out of a huge rock on the hillside just above the creek road. His house, a two storied structure with an upper veranda, stood a short distance above the old mill. Sitting on the veranda, where he had a plain view of the rock, he caused his slaves to work with pick and chisel, directing and urging them in their task.

For some reason, perhaps because of the emancipation of the slaves, the sepulchre was not finished; but a very neat, well shaped cavity, almost large enough to contain a casket, remains as a more lasting monument to "his memory than a highly polished granite slab in a cemetery.

[Transcribed by C. Anthony from A History of Pleasants County, West Virginia by Robert L. Pemberton, 1929]


History of Newport Township
In 1798 all territory lying east of the western boundary of the seventh range was erected into Newport township . From this great territory Grandview was established in 1802, Lawrence in 1815, Ludlow in 1819, Liberty in 1832, and Independence in 1840. This, the early history of Newport, is the early history of several townships already sketched, especially of Independence.

Newport was first settled before 1798 by William Tison, Neal Cortner, John Cotton, Josiah Luckey and David Stokely at the "Upper Settlement" - near the present village of Newport. These forerunners of civilization gave way before the so-called "real pioneers," among whom the Danas and Greenes share the honor of making the first permanent settlement, soon followed by the Holdens, Templetons, McKibbens, Nichols and others. In the northwestern portion of the township William Hill, Sr., began a settlement on the Little Muskingum which has since borne his name. A "Lower Settlement" was begun early, known as Lower Newport.

Newport was laid out by Captain Battelle, son of Col. Ebenezer Battelle, a graduate of Harvard College, early in the first decade of the century. The first school in the township was opened at this spot by Caleb Greene. A school in the Hills neighborhood was started about the same time by Annie Plumer and a third was soon in existence on the east bank of the Little Muskingum near Beech Grove Church. In 1816 a log school house was built in Lower Newport with George Greenwood as first teacher.

Itinerant Methodist clergymen were in Newport before 1800 and within 15 years a log church was built at Lower Newport on the bank of the Ohio. The first Methodist Church in Newport was organized in 1825 and in four years a church was completed. In May 1870 a new brick church was dedicated. A Presbyterian Church was organized June 9, 1838. For many years they were supplied by President Smith of Marietta College, who "was accustomed to remark that his visits to the little flock at Newport were the green spots in his life." In 1869 the society was dissolved. The Beech Grove Presbyterian Church was built in 1848. In 1861 when the Presbyterian Church at Marietta died, this church was named the Beech Hill First Presbyterian Church, which name it retains. The nucleus of the Newport Baptist Church was formed previous to 1822, when meetings were held in various houses in the "Upper Settlement." The interest grew through the years and the church was organized in January, 1838. The first structure, a brick, was erected and dedicated January 1, 1842. There had been paid on the church $951.24, leaving a debt of $336.44. William Dana paid this and took the note of the trustees for the amount. At the death of William Dana search for the note was made, but it could not be found. In this quiet way did Mr. Dana pay the debt, having destroyed the note as soon as received. In 1878 the church was thoroughly remodeled at a cost of $2,000 and dedicated March 21, 1880. About 1855 a United Brethren Church was organized and a building erected on land given by William Seevers. It is known as the Kinderhook Church. The Beech Grove Church was organized in a school house in Newell's Run in 1863. In 1870 a little church was built on the site of the abandoned Methodist Church near the mouth of Newell's Run.

Soon after the formation of the "Upper Settlement," Luther Barker was appointed postmaster. In 1825, when Ebenezer Battelle was appointed postmaster, the office was removed to his residence in Newport. The postoffice at Lower Newport was established in 1841, Jacob Middleswart being the first proprietor. That at Newell's Run, on the Ohio, was established in 1865 with Thomas J. Conner as postmaster and Amos Cram first officiated as postmaster at Hills P. O., which was established in 1869.

On the pages of the records of Washington County is found a plat of the villages of Newport, comprising forty lots in section twenty-seven, in the original surveyed township, numbered one, in range numbered six of the old seven ranges; surveyed January 30 and 31, 1839, for Ebenezer Battelle, the proprietor, the streets to be ninety-one links and the alleys sixteen links in width." This is witnessed by the county surveyor, Benjamin F. Stone, and by the proprietors of the village, Ebenezer and Mary Battelle. The ground was surveyed anew May 27, 1839.

The following is the record of the vacation of the town plat by the original proprietor:

"In the Court of Common Pleas, September term, 1839, on application of Ebenezer Battelle, he having produced to the court satisfactory evidence that notice of his intention to vacate the town plat of Newport had been given according to law, and a statement in writing filed from the persons, to whom by verbal contract said Battelle had given an equitable claim on lots in said town, of their consent to said vacation. It is ordered by the court that said proprietor be permitted to vacate said town plat of Newport."

Newport township as at first established covered territory not included in the Ohio Company's purchase. It was very natural that shrewd farmers among the pioneers were attracted by the beautiful and fertile plain in the southern part of this tract and the name Newport, as well as the family names of some of the settlers, reminds us of Rhode Island.

In the hilly part of old Newport, now included in Independence, Lawrence, Liberty, Ludlow and Grandview, the hunter and the squatter, usually the same person, had almost exclusive control for many years after prosperous settlements had been begun on the river bottoms. There are many traditions of this class of "pioneers," who often made it as uncomfortable for the man who had bought the land, as they had for the former claimants, the Indians. Some of these squatters became civilized but others preferred to move on to a newer and wilder country.

As early as 1820, Joseph Barker erected a mill in Newport township for the extraction of flaxseed and castor oil. It was worked for a while but the cultivation of flax and the castor-oil bean seems not to have proved a very profitable business. In recent years Newport town and township have been greatly enriched by the petroleum industry, a fuller account of which is to be found in another chapter. [Source: History of Marietta and Washington County, by Martin R. Andrews, MA, 1902, Transcribed by C. Anthony]



History of Palmer Township
The first pioneer into what has been a part of Waterford, Watertown then Wooster, Roxbury, Wesley and is now in Palmer township , was Christopher Malster who settled here in 1796. Other early settlers were the Palmers, Rices, Dauleys, Cards, etc. Prior to the formation of Noble County in 1851, a man standing on the northeast corner of section six, now in Palmer, could have placed himself by a single step, either northeast, in Watertown, southeast in Barlow, southwest in Wesley, or northwest in Roxbury. From this point the dividing lines ran toward the four points of the compass in two straight lines through the present township. But, by the formation of Noble, Morgan County lost large areas, and was partially Recompensed by the addition of the larger part of Roxbury, taken from Washington County. At a special session of the commissioners, May 19, 1851, the remaining portions of Roxbury, with parts of other townships just mentioned, were consolidated into a new township, named after the family so much concerned in the settlement and growth of its territory and interests. The entry on the journal reads as follows :
A petition was received from citizens of Roxbury and parts of Wesley, Watertown and Barlow for the erection of a new township composed of territory embraced within the following boundaries, viz.: Commencing at the northwest corner of one hundred and sixty acre lot No. 1.079, range eleven, town eight; ihence south to the southwest corner of said lot; thence to the northwest corner of one hundred and sixty acre lot No. 1.080: thence south to the southwest corner of section thirteen, range eleven, town eight; thence south to the souihwest corner of section No. 17. range eleven, town seven: thence to the southeast corner of section No. 5. range eleven, town seven; thence east to the southeast corner of section No. 35. range ten, town three; thence north to the southwest corner of one hundred and sixty acre lot No. 780; thence east to the southeast corner of one hundred and sixty acre lot No. 780; thence north to the northeast corner of section No. 30. range ten, town three; thence north to the northeast corner of fractional lot No. 838, range ten, town four; thence north to the southeast corner of one hundred acre lot No. 47, range ten. town four, south branch allottment: thence to the northeast corner of one hundred acre lot No. 47 aforesaid; thence west to the northwest corner of one hundred acre No. 14, range ten, town four, west branch allottment; thence south to the southwest corner of one hundred acre lot No. 15, range ten, town four, west branch allottment; thence westwardly to follow the line which divides the late township of Roxbury, setting off the said township to Morgan county, to the place of beginning.
Schools were started in Palmer township at the very first; as early as 1806 Russell Darrow was engaged as teacher. JamesAshcroft, Jabesh Palmer, John T. Dumont and William Brown were early teachers.
Free Will Baptist and Methodist meetings were customarily held in private houses throughout the early years. In 1837 a Methodist Church was built. The first store was opened about 1825 by Hiram Gard.
[Source: History of Marietta and Washington County, by Martin R. Andrews, MA, 1902, Transcribed by C. Anthony]


History of Salem Township
Salem was originally a part of Adams, But the following petition was handed in to the Court of Quarter Sessions, part of whose business it was to establish townships:

To the Honorable Court of General Sessions of the Peace for the County of Washington:
Gentlemen: Your petitioners, the inhabitants of Duck Creek, beg your honors to take into consideration the local situation they are in from other settlements, and whereas your honors at your last session in March did at that time form the different settlements into towns, and at the same time put us, the inhabitants of Duck Creek, into an association with the inhabitants of Virgin Bottom, Rainbow, Cattle Creek, and Bear Creek (into one town called by the name of Adams), whose situation is inconvenient for us to associate with as respects a town by reason of the inconvenience of passing the hills and ridges where it is not practicable to make roads to pass from Duck Creek to Muskingum at the same time, our numbers are almost if not quite equal to some of the other towns already laid out by your Honors being in number on Duck Creek thirty-four families and upwards of sixty men capable of bearing arms.

For this and other good motives, your petitioners request your Honors would take the matter into consideration, and make a division in the town of Adams west by a division line between the waters of Duck Creek and Muskingum, and as far south as Shepard's old mills so called, as far as your Honors in theirwisdom shall judge best.

We also would inform that the people on Duck Creek did on the second day of May last, make choice of us, the subscribers, to prefer a petition to your Honors for the above mentioned purposes. Duck Creek. June 3. 1797.

(Signed)

Levi Chapman
James Amlin

John Amlin - Jonathan Amlin
John Amlin, Sr. - Conrad Rightner
Joel Tutlle - Joseph Chapman
John Campbell - Daniel Bradstreet
Jonathan DeLong - Patrick Campbell
Samuel Fulton - Robert Campbell
Samuel Nash - Daniel Campbell
Robert Colewell - Ebenezer Tolman
Seth Tolman - Uriah Wheeler
Benjamin Tolman - Amos Porter
Samuel Amlin - Amos Porter, Jr.

The first settler in Salem was probably Amos Porter, who was followed by the Nashes, DeLongs, Tolmans, McCunes, Fultons, Davises. Dains, Perkines and many others, for what is now Salem was comparatively thickly settled in early years. John True kept school in Salem as early as 1807.

Elisha Allen erected a sawmill on Duck Creek before 1820 and in that year he built a grist mill at the same spot. These were on the "Lower Ox-Bow." On the "Upper Ox-Bow," S. N. Merriam built steam, saw and grist mills 10 vears later. He also kept one of the first stores open in the township, as did Elisha Allen in his earlier mill. Salem is credited for having one of the earliest temperance societies in the West, if not the earliest. It was organized about 1822 by Ephraim Gould and his brother Dennis, a student at Lane Seminary; a pledge was made and called "teetotal.'' The first postmaster in Salem was Daniel G. Stanley who held office about 1827.

The old Presbyterian Church society was holding meetings by April, 1812. The first session meeting in Salem was in October of that year. Churches were erected in Harrietsville and Bonn. A series of Freewill Baptist services were held as early as 1810. Before 1815 a Methodist Church was organized and a church was built in 1836. A Protestant Methodist Church was erected in 1878. The Mount Ephraim Methodist Church was organized early and buildings erected in 1846 and 1873. The Good Hope Baptist Church was organized in 1835 and two houses of worship have been built - one in 1836 and one in 1851. The Bonn German Methodist Church was organized in 1840. In 1842 a church was erected and replaced in 1871 by a new edifice. Two parsonages have been built, one in 1852 and another in 1874. The Disciple Church at Bonn was organized about 1852; another in Warner was started in 1872. The Universalis! Church in Salem was organized in December, 1859, and a church building was dedicated in 1861. A German Lutheran Church was organized about the same time and a building erected. The Corinth Church was organized in 1863 and in 187O a building was procured. The Baptist Church of Lower Salem was organized in 1877. A building was erected in 1880-81.

Salem village was laid out in 1850 at the end of a plank road from Marietta and the toll house at the end of the road was the first building in the village.

Warner, a station on the C. & M. R. R. was laid out by P. and E. Boye in 1873 and named in honor of Gen. A. J. Warner of Marietta. Bonn, named by the Germans who early came here from the city of the Rhine, was laid out about 1835. The first store was opened here by Rufus Payne about the same year.
[Source: History of Marietta and Washington County, by Martin R. Andrews, MA, 1902, Transcribed by C. Anthony]


History of Warren Township
Warren township was incorporated by the Board of County Commissioners in 1810, but the original lines have frequently been altered. The first permanent settlers in Warren were the Baileys, Newtons and Coles who came about 1805. Within a year or so came the Humphreys, Finches and Cutlers. The first roads were the Marietta-Belpre road (1793), the Marietta-Lancaster road (1797) and the Marietta-Athens road (1800).

One of the most singular documents in existence in the county is a contract for teaching an early school in Warren township which is preserved in the memoranda of Judge Ephraim Cutler. It reads as follows:

Memoranda of an agreement entered into this third day of February, 1807. by and between Isaac Humphreys, John Henry and Ephraim Cutler and John D. W. Kip, on the other part witnesseth: That for the consideration of the sum of twenty-five dollars for every three months, to be paid him at the expiration of said term by Humphreys, Henry and Cutler, he, the said Kip, doth engage to keep a school at such place as they shall direct and to teach reading, writing and arithmetic and to govern himself and school by the following rules and regulations, to-wit: He shall keep school from nine o'clock in the morning till twelve at noon, and from one in the afternoon until four, provided that during the months of June, July, August and September school may commence at half past one and close at half past four. He shall be excused from keeping school on Saturdays in the afternoon, on the Fourth of July, when he shall be called to attend trainings, and on election days.

The whole school shall be arranged into two or more classes at the direction of the master, the senior class to be admitted to the exercise of writing and arithmetic; the lower classes shall be employed in reading and spelling, and that no time may be lost they shall have portions assigned them for study, from which at proper hours the master shall ask them to spell, and in order to promote emulation, the priority in standing shall be determined by their accuracy in spelling.

Particular attention shall be paid in the upper class in teaching them punctation; and that in reading they be taught to observe the stops and points, notes of affection and interrogation, also accenting and emphasizing.

The master shall consider himself as in the place of parent to the children under his care, and endeavor to convince them by mild treatment that he feels a parental affection for them. He shall be sparing as to promises or threatenings, but punctual in the performance of one and execution of the other, and that he inculcate upon the scholars the propriety of good behavior during their absence from school.

He will endeavor on all suitable occasions to impress upon the minds of his scholars a sense of the being and providence of God, and the obligations they are under to love and serve Him; of their duty to their parents; the beauty and excellency of truth, the duty which they owe to their country, and the necessity of a strict observance of its laws.

He shall caution, and, as far as he can, restrain them from the prevailing vices, such as lying, profaneness, gaming and idleness.

From these general rules he may form particular rules, and if they are broken he must be particular to punish the offender, but mildness in punishment is recommended.

Despite the exhaustiveness of the contract, Mr. Kip taught the school only one week. A successful school was taught in Judge Cutler's stone house in 1809-10 by Gen. John Brown, afterward treasurer of Ohio University at Athens. In 1810 the first school house was built. As early as 1814 a summer school especially for girls was taught by Miss Sallie Rice.

The Presbyterian Church of Warren was formed in 1828 and joined Athens Presbytery the same year. In 1837 the church on the river road was built, largely by the funds furnished by Oren Newton, Ephraim Cutler, William P. Cutler and Seth Bailey.

The late Bishop' Morris, of sainted memory, was probably the pioneer missionary in Warren township. At an early date the two Methodist churches known as the "Zoar" and the "Bethel" churches were erected. The Mount Moriah United Brethren Church was organized and a log meeting house built about 1850.

Source: History of Marietta and Washington County, by Martin R. Andrews, MA, 1902, Transcribed by C. Anthony



History of Waterford Township
On December 20, 1790, the Court of Quarter Sessions established three townships : Marietta, Belpre and Waterford. The following resolution fixed the bounds of Waterford:

Resolved, That the seventh and eighth townships in the eleventh range, the fourth and fifth townships in tenth range, and mile square, No. 33, in the fourth township of the ninth range, be, and they hereby are incorporated and included in one township, by the name of Waterford.

The first town officers were: Capt. Ebenezer Gray, town clerk; Noah Fearing, overseer of the poor; Dean Tyler, constable. To these three townships—Marietta, Belpre and Waterford—Rev. Daniel Story was employed by the Ohio Company to minister.

The early history of Waterford township is given very fully in other chapters. The following article on Beverly, prepared by Miss Virginia V. Dodge, leaves little more to be desired as to the history of that town, and also gives us many items of general interest relating to the surrounding country. The sketch of the Dodge family, likewise prepared by Miss Dodge, also fills out the history of Waterford township and the town of Beverly.

BEVERLY.
The colony from which Beverly on the Muskingum had its origin has a most highly creditable and romanic history. Rising out of the wilderness only a few months following the advent of the Ohio Company at Marietta, its sons and daughters were of that heroic mold that has not failed to leave its impress on the character of the present life.

Within a few miles of here were born some of the most noble men and women that our country has known. So enchanting is this heart of the valley, that it is small wonder that Silver Heels, the last chief of the Lenni-Lenape Indians, was loath to abandon the realm that had been his hunters' paradise, time without memory to the white man, and that out of the rebellious spirit of this chief the last arrow should have gone to its mark in the heart of the settler, Abel Sherman.

The immortal Garfield said in the House of Representatives something that has so direct a bearing upon the birth of the town of Beverly proper that it is but justice to the man whose conception it was to here give the extract:

"There is a force greater than that of State and government. It is the force of private voluntary enterprise, that has built up towns and schools and colleges in these United States, with enthusiasm and wonderful energy."

This especial quality was perfectly exemplified in the character of one of the first of Ohio's colonists, John Dodge, Esq., who founded the town of Beverly.

In laying out part of his estate for public sale, and in making donations of a number of valuable properties to improve the advantages naturally at hand, it was the dream of Mr. Dodge to make this point a convenient center of civiliation where its productions and opportunities would afford benefit to the surrounding population. The town was not laid out in a spirit of personal aggrandizement, as its founder gave away to its schools, park, churches, ministers and business enterprises more than he kept for himself and his heirs. A clause from a will by Mr. Dodge, relating to the name of Beverly, which, not being embodied in the historical part of this work containing the Dodge biography, is included here, as follows:

I. John Dodge, now intending to establish on a spot (before selected by my father. Captain Dodge, "as an exceptional site", a town for the further convenience and advancement of this region we chose as our pioneer home, am of the firm intention to name the town Beverly, for three reasons—In that I have a reverence for the name as that of my birthplace in the mother State of Massachusetts. Also that many who came to the Northwest Territory with our company were from that pilgrim coast where that Beverly stands and would thus feel an affection for the name. Again, that I trust in the Providence of God it will be an augur for the protection of the new village; as Beverly in Old England escaped the destroying army of the Norman because of the sanctity of her great prelate, John of Beverly, so I trust those here may be spared all future disaster through our integrity in the keeping of God's laws.

Mr. Dodge made a plan for Beverly in 1831, but on account of national conditions he deferred the actual laying out of the place, although operating a ferry at this period across the river and being interested in other public enterprises.

From 1837 to 1843 the uncertain state of the public credit hardly seemed to touch the most prosperous population in the Muskingum Valley. There were improvements being made by the State upon the river dams and locks were being built, and a navigation was thus acquired that for many decades made the products of these fertile lands available to the world. There came a real need for an incorporated town, in the protection it would lend to the community.

The following letter from Hon. Thomas Ewing, just made Secretary of the Treasury, to Mr. Dodge, whose wife was a relative of Mr. Ewing's, is of prophetic value:

Washington, March 25, 1841.
To John Dodge. Esq.,
I am much interested in your proposition to lay out a town near the home of my family; it would draw new strength there and help to build up our State on a foundation of high character. Posterity owes you a debt of gratitude for your untiring efforts for the advancement of the community life around you, and likewise for so beautiful a choice of a town site, for I have looked upon that bend of the river in my journeys by stage and horseback as the fairest view on the face of earth. Though endeared to me by association, even the most impartial observer would not fail to be impressed with its great beauties.

The notable February (1843) that found President Tyler so deeply burdened with the refusal of foreign governments to make even a loan to our agents, and many conditions unpropitious, did not deter the long-cherished plan of Mr. Dodge in the establishment of an incorporated town. There was levied a tax of two mills on the dollar and an officer of the law appointed, with a Town Council. There was a population of several hundred people, and new-comers arriving on account of the improved river traffic, the works having been completed at this place a year before. There were two general stores, also several buyers and shippers of agricultural products. There were three churches, a college and two schools then conducted here.

Newspapers
The first newspaper was started about eight years after this by Mr. Baker, who more recently was appointed United States Minister to Guatemala. Following this, the Beverly Gazette having expired with the Know Nothing party, Beverly College conducted a weekly paper. Then the Beverly Advertiser was inaugurated by Mr. Preston in 1862 and was well conducted. He was succeeded in the press work for the town by W. T. & Howard Atlierton, who edited the Times. In the same year the Beverly Citizen and Washington Advertiser were started. In 1879 C. E. T. Miller and William Walter started the Dispatch. They sold the same to C. N. McCormack. In July, 1888, Professor Smith, formerly president of the College, took up editorial work on this paper. At his death he was followed in this by Miss Roberta Smith, and later by his son, Robert, who sold the Dispatch recently to Mr. Goodrich. The present editor has used every effort to call the attention of the world at large to the great but undeveloped resources of the vicinity, and deserves success.

Beautiful Situation
An the beginning of the new century, the old town finds itself the much-sought but still exclusive resort of people who want the quiet of its hills, the fishing, hunting or boating and the indescribable enchantment of its woods and country drives. Added to these are the historic associations that linger about the site of its two old forts, the Indian traditions and prehistoric mounds, and there is a wealth of diversion for even summer visitors. The location for health is perfect, few epidemics or diseases have invaded its comfortable precincts.

Several well-known painters and poets have made it the theme of their brushes and songs, and the town and vicinity have produced also some artists of note and a number of authors mentioned later in this article.

The location of Beverly from any approach is a delightful surprise. Set in the deepest bow of the whole river, with a broadness of green fields stretching away toward the east and a rolling plain rising from the bottom to the north, the shining water, of which Judge William Fowler has sung so delightfully, running like a band of shimmering silver at the base of the village streets, the rugged hills in their coats of green rising above the whole like steadfast sentinels on guard, make Beverly the gem of gems in the midst of many precious surroundings. The original pursuits will give place to new occupations, as by the influx of travelers more and more is developed of its hidden beauties and wealth.

Oil
According to the philosophy that nothing is lost but something is gained in its place, while some of the early sources of income to the town have been absorbed by the larger places nearby, chiefly Marietta and Zanesville, the capital brought to the village for investment in the oil territory lying all about will be of greater benefit eventually; a recent revival of operations at this point renewing those begun about 20 years ago.

Where once cattle, sheep and horses grazed upon the farm and Agriculture was undisputed Goddess whose reign not the most chimerical would have ever supposed usurped, there even oil has come to be king. The tall derricks rise in many directions and men stake their claims for game after game of chance. The number of companies drilling and the rich returns of some call still others to these fields where the resources unseen are greater than those which the forefathers saw in the earth, sun and air of this fruitful township.

Coal, Lumber and Clay.
Beverly is also a depot for quantities of fine lumber, splendid oak for ships being taken out of its surrounding forests only last year. Coal is also brought here from banks at different points nearby. There is within the corporation limits clay, of excellent use for brick and tile, and limestone. The town is lighted by natural gas and a fine electric plant. The general annual expenditures amount to only between $3,000 and $4,000.

Public Institutions
By an act of the General Assembly of Ohio, a college was established at Beverly, in February, 1843, for the purpose of co-education. This was the joint gift of John Dodge and Benjamin Dana, Mr. Dodge giving out of his estate adjoining the town of Beverly a tract of land very beautifully located and erecting at his personal expense a fine brick building of three stories, well equipped for the day in which it was built, and for the purpose for which the College was designed.

Benjamin Dana left a tract of land upon which was a coal bank to supply fuel for the institution, and also some lots which were to be sold for the benefit of the institution. The learned and foreign languages and the liberal arts and sciences were to be taught here.

It was the expectation of the donors that the trustees would make their gift a nucleus for obtaining further donations as time went on, and thus add those advantages, influences and profits to the community that an institution for higher education would bring. Its successive Boards of Trustees, having been at times somewhat scattered and occupied to the exclusion of public interests, have not after nearly three-quarters of a century obtained any gifts toward the further revenue required at this period. It has at earlier times brought a great deal of life to the town of Beverly. A schism in the Presbyterian churches of this place, which finally concluded in a law suit for property formerly occupied by the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, deprived the College of its full quota of local patronage for some years, but it is now reviving.

Both Mr. Dana and Mr. Dodge were originally of the Puritan faith of their forefathers, but later in life they could not subscribe to all the tenets of the old school profession of faith, and so became members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. For this reason, as being a somewhat more liberal body, the appointment of the Board of Trustees was by them vested in the synod of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.

Churches and Religious Revivals of the early period were conducted first by Rev. Mr. Story, who held services near the great elm tree close by what is now the Baltimore & Ohio station. A powerful awakening was later held by Rev. Mr. Lindlev in the first colonial church on the old stage road in the south part of Beverly, then the Presbyterian and afterward the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. When this congregation moved to the brick church up town, the old river church was occupied by the followers of Alexander Campbell. It was quite an interesting building, with high pews, the flour rising toward the back of the church, and the high pulpit between the two front entrance-ways having semi-circular stairs leading up to the desk. Externally, the building was colonial, yellow with white trimmings. The Disciples during the latter part of the last century purchased, and moved to, the very fine audience room formerly built and used by the Baptists on Main street.

After the separation of the Presbyterian element of the town from the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, a new and quite artistic Presbyteriarn Church was erected on Fourth street about 1895, to which various friends contributed stained glass window's. Mrs. Mcintosh gave the lot upon which this church was built.

Mr. Dodge donated the land for all the other churches in Beverly, regardless of denomination, as they each came to be organized.

A remarkable series of meetings was conducted in Beverlv about the midsummer of 1841, by a Universalist minister and editor then residing in Zanesville—Rev. G. T. Flanders—which resulted in the organization of a Universalist Church to which many of the most intelligent families of the vicinity united.

In 1856 Rev. J. H. Barker came as a missionary to Beverly and started the Baptist Church with 15 members.

The Methodists had services in Waterford township from the first quarter of 1800, but did not have a church in Beverly until 1837. Since then services have been held uninteruptedly at the corner of Sixth and Center streets with many able men in the pulpit.

Each of the churches named has had its societies for social and charitable purposes.

The Episcopalians have had special services at homes in the neighborhood, and the Roman Catholics a lecturer now and then at the Opera House.

Fraternal Orders.
Mount Moriah Lodge, No. 37, Free & Accepted Masons, was established on the 28th of September, 1816. The first meeting was held at the residence of John Dodge, Esq., and the officers elected were: Ebenezer Bowen, master; Eli Cogswell, S. W.; Obadiah Scott, J. W.; William Riply, secretary; William Rand, treasurer; William White, S. D.; Elias Woodsorf, J. D.; John Dodge and Andrew Story, stewards; Samuel Andrews, tyler. St. John's Day of 1817 was celebrated with all the rites of the order. The lodge, beside being one of the earliest in Ohio, contained in it the best men of this region, and still maintains its high character.

In 1879 a fine brick and stone building was erected for the use of Mount Moriah Lodge. The present membership is about 80. Many more have been initiated here, however.

The Independent Order of Odd Fellows was founded March, 1847, being Beverly Lodge, No. 84. The first officers were: Samuel Thompson, noble grand; Robert Ramsey, vice grand; C. L. Bowen, secretary; W. V. N. Wheeler, treasurer. They have for their use today one of the best assembly halls in town. In the building built by them is also an opera house of quite considerable seating capacity.

The Grangers have a society in Beverly which had several years ago about 75 members.

Physicians.
The physicians of the early days were Drs. Mcintosh, Farley, Baker and Pardee. Of a little later period Dr. Bowen was identified with medical work many years, as was Dr. Israel Stone Dodge, who, however, soon located in Cincinnati and practiced there over 40 years.

Drs. Gilbert Campbell, Berkly and Reynolds were well known about 1849. Dr. Ramsey practiced, and died here at the time of a fever epidemic. Dr. James Little was a successful physician and took an active part in educational affairs.

Dr. P. Kelley has had from 1850 until recently a constant patronage in his profession.

Dr. Joseph Parker continued in practice here until he lost his health and died. Later came Dr. Frank Clark, and after him Dr. Kennon.

Dr. John Reynolds succeeded his father in 1865, but later moved to Oregon.

Dr. Culver resided here and practiced some years, as also did Dr. Chas. M. Humston, of Kentucky. Dr. John Patterson Dodge was in partnership with him two years, later, going to California,—he was appointed brigade surgeon in the Spanish-American War from Ohio.

Dr. Adair has practiced several years in Beverly, as has also Dr. Funk from Northern Ohio.

Dr. Arthur Bowen practiced in Waterford up to 1880, when he moved to Columbus.

Dr. Wallace Seely, who was born here, became an oculist of reputation in Cincinnati.

Dr. A. S. Clark has had a large practice here for years. Dr. Theodore Hayward is now practicing in the vicinity of Beverly and Waterford.

Dr. Henry Clark was a well-known dentist. Dr. Howe, who afterward moved to Mexico, was likewise a successful dentist. Also Dr. Connor of Cumberland. Dr. Hartnell is at present the leading practitioner in this branch.

Schools.
The public schools of Beverly were inaugurated in 1854. the amount paid all the teachers that year being $380. The firsts chool building cost $3,000. This has been superseded by a very much more convenient and modern one, built during the last decade at a cost of about $20,000. A view of this school appears on a preceding page of this history. The superintendents have been: John Tarbell, Z. G. Bundy, Mr. Smith, T. C. Ryan, Jefferson Heston, and Frank Wagner. Dr. Little and Dr. Glines, as school directors for some years, took a marked interest in the methods of instruction.

Industries.
Industries now operating in Beverly and the vicinity are two flouring mills, two sawmills, a wagon shop, three black-smith's horseshoeing shops, and a veneering and box factory on the Waterford side, most of those engaged living in Beverly. A fine woolen factory, flouring mill, planing mill and iron foundry were destroyed by fire within a few years, greatly injuring the prosperity of the town.

Merchants.
The leading merchants engaged in business are: Warren W. Paimer, who has been very successful and has an attractive store. The leading bakery is owned by Mr. Smith, who succeeded Mr. Meller. who is now connected with the dry goods house of Mr. Palmer. William Maygucken, who is a G. A. R. man, is very popular both personally and in trade, being engaged in a dry goods and grocery house. William Morns has the leading clothing house and chinaware store; he is a merchant of experience and has an extensive acquaintance through the country about here. Charles Langenherg has a fine grocery trade, and also buys in various lines for shipping. Miss Minnie Mathews has kept a grocery and woolen store for some years very profitably. Oliver Tucker has been in the mercantile business longer than any one now in business in Beverly. Rufus Tucker, brother of O. Tucker, is associated with him in the same building but has a separate hardware store. Hart & Flowers also combine hardware with other lines. Louis C. Robinson has been for some years in the carriage and agricultural implement business but is now engaged in manufacturing carriages in Coshocton. Mr. Fowler, one of the early citizens of Beverly, has had a store and tinware trade combined with that of undertaking, which he recently conveyed by sale to Mr. Schob. W. P. Robinson was also formerly in the agricultural impiement business. Pomeroy Brothers have a large lumber, hardware and shipping business in which they are very successful. Mr. Dye's novelty store is a convenient home for many lines of goods at bargains. The leading drug store of the town is owned by W. R. Parker; there is combined with this quite an extensive general store for books, china, glass and objects of art of a character much better than is common in a town of this size. Dr. Funk has also a handsome drug store. Miss Reynolds for many years has been the leading; milliner; Mrs. Jackson more recently went into the same trade and has been popular in her work. Air. Mitchell has a large nursery for fruit and other trees.

Horses.
There have been some very fine horses raised and owned in the vicinity of Beverly. The region is as conducive to success in this direction as the blue grass country of Kentucky, this part of the valley having special advantages. The Humston and Mcintosh farm has large stables near town.Mr. Shaw three miles below has usually a number of horses for persons from abroad. There is a race track and some stables near town connected with the Tri-County Fair Grounds. The Dana farm and others have fine flocks of sheep.

Park.
Beverly has a beautiful park of several acres given to the town by the founder. John Dodge, Esq., and planted by his grand-daughter; also a small park or open green that was Mrs. Dodge's gift, near the boat landing or lock.

Banking.
Waterford township, particularly that part around Beverly, having long been the wealthiest township in the country, has made Beverly quite a financial center. Aside from having regular houses in business, there was always a large trade in wool, lumber, agricultural products and live stock and from other products brought to this point.

As there was great necessity for a bank, a meeting was held at Union Hall in September, 1863, after the "National Banking Act" made the founding of a bank likely to be a success. The directors for the First National Bank of Beverly were: George Bowen, Patterson 0. Dodge, E. S. Mcintosh, H. C. Fish, J. B. Bane, Charles Bowen and C. M. Devol. George Bowen was made president and William Mcintosh, cashier. The capital was $150,000.

The Citizens Bank was organized in 1875. E. S. Mcintosh was president and C. W. Reynolds, cashier. The bank is conducted at the comer of Fifth and Ferry streets, in the same building as the American House. There was a post office established in Beverly in 1838.

John Keyhoe being the first postmaster.

Prominent Persons.
Among the persons who have been identified with the history of Beverly, and who became eminent were Hon. John Sherman; Thomas Ewing. whose family lived close by Beverly: and C. A. Dodge. The last named, who was in the United States Senate and was afterward minister to Spain, lived here in his youth, as did for a time John Sherman.

Stephen Powers, who was a war correspondent and went with General Sherman on the "March to the Sea" resided on the old Powers farm near Beverly. Mr. Baker, one of the early editors, became minister to Ceniral America in Cleveland's administration. The Fawcett family at one period lived here; one of its members. Mrs. Fawcett, is one of the singers of Ohio, having published a volume of poems.

Rev. Oliphant Patterson, whose family came from Virginia to Beverly or Waterford township, was an eminent divine and theological writer, having been in active service in the Presbyterian denomination for over 50 years, dying at Oxford. Ohio, about 1870.

Miss Virginia V. Dodge, of Beverly, has written quite extensively upon art and upon Spanish-American subjects, also a number of poems. As a critic in certain lines of art, she was made a member of the first board of judges where women have ever been appointed at the Columbian Exposition, also later at other international expositions.

Mr. Craig, a landscape artist living in Colorado, was born near Beverly. Mr. Rhinehardt, an artist of much talent, spent some time here, as did also Lily Martin.

There have been quite a number of minor inventors. Phinehas Yates had some good ideas upon aerial navigation, but his machine for flying was not perfected. George Hahn patented some inventions.

The lawyers who practiced longest in Beverly were Samuel B. Robinson and J. C. Preston, now mayor of Beverly. Both these gentlemen held the office of prosecuting attorney of Washington County. Will Ellsworth Fowler of Beverly became judge in Gay County, Missouri, and has been recently nominated for Congress; he wrote a nunvber of poems about Beverly and the environs.

Charles Fowler, cousin of Judge Fowler, also of Beverly, is colonel and president of the Kentucky Military Institute and has written text books in mathematics.

Dr. James Little and son, Dr. Jenison Little, prosecuted their studies in astronomy and higher mathematics, as well as in medicine, with marked success. The untimely death of Dr. Jenison Little only prevented the completion of what astronomers regarded as a valuable work. Dr. Little was the possessor of a very fine telescope with which they made their observations.

Prof. E. S. Cox. formerly of Beverly College, is a special instructor in "English usage" and is arranging a work upon this subject.

Col. E. S. Mcintosh, a prominent citizen, kept a diary that was of local value.

Beverly in the Wars and Reforms.
As Washington County furnished a larger per cent, of soldiers for the Civil War than any county except Hamilton, it is not strange that the spirit of patriotism ran high in the vicinity of Beverly, inhabited, as it was, by the descendants of a fighting and heroic stock. There was not a man left in town or about at times during the war to attend to necessary work. Those who were unable to go, by reason of health or too young, and a few from political opposition, were all left to stand guard when the famous raider from the Confederate side. Morgan, swept across the valley. Women buried their treasures and hid their horses and children.

There was a Union meeting called at the first outbreak, and committees appointed to enroll men for enlistment and provide for their wants. The resolutions adopted by the "Union League" are truly thrilling, and they stood nobly by the work until the last soldier returned.

One of the resolutions shows the spirit of sacrifice that animated the people:

Resolved. That we heartily wish Godspeed to our fathers and husbands, our sons and brothers, who go to the front to defend the Union. That we will do all in our power to sustain them in the heat of battle and in illness.

A Soldiers' Aid Society was loyally kept up all during the Civil War and sent quantities of supplies to the camps and hospitals.

The G. A. R. Post of Beverly is named for the first soldier who was killed. Capt. Dick Cheatham. The Post roster contains the names of many brave men and officers. Dr. Lindner, a surgeon with General Crook, still resides in Beverly. He had also seen service in Europe. Gen. Hiram Devol also lived in Waterford until within a few years.

The Fearing family, of which Gen. Ben Fearing of the Civil War was a member, lived in Beverly from its early settlement. Captain Grubb and other war veterans reside in Beverly.

During the Spanish-American War, Lieut. Carroll Devol, formerly here, was connected with the Quarter-master's Department. Dr. John Patterson Dodge, of Beverly, was made, by President McKinley, brigade surgeon with the rank of major. Milton Nixon, a teacher of Beverly, served in the Philippines during the Spanish-American War. Clifford Wistell who was a volunteer from Beverly in this war, died at Camp Alger from fever. Joseph Null was in the service in the Philippines..

The spirit under which the Northwest Territory Constitution was conceived made most of its settlers strongly Anti-Slavery. Several families lived at Beverly who used, to help slaves escape to Canada on all occasions possible.

In the temperance cause several ladies from the most prominent families took part in the original "Ohio Crusade" and a society for the furtherance of this needed work has long existed, but neither this nor the Prohibitionists in town have succeeded in abolishing the liquor traffic, as public or general opinion supports it still.

THE DODGE FAMILY
The Dodges of Washington County are lineally descended from Pierre Dodge {or Douge), who came from Normandy, France, to England in the army of William the Conqueror, and whose descendants were settled in Cheshire and Kent counties, England, and came to Massachusetts in 1629. The direct ancestor of the Dodges of Beverly was John Bathurst Dodge, to whom was given a coat of arms and crest (recorded in College of Arms, London,) for valiant service in the wars of Edward I. In America there have been members of the family conspicuous in military and civil life since the first colonization of Massachusetts.

Capt. John Dodge, a portrait of whom appears on a preceding page, engraved from a drawing that was prepared for this purpose, was the head of that branch of the family which has the distinction of helping to establish civilization in the Northwest Territory and Ohio. He was an officer from Beverly, Massachusetts, who had entered the Revolutionary War at an early age and served until its close. He joined the Ohio Company of Associates with the others of his name when it was organized in Boston in 1787.

Following the commission Captain Dodge held in the Continental Army, he had executed an undertaking which had a very important bearing upon the ability of these Northwest Territory colonists to arrive in Marietta the year they did, and for this he received a vote of thanks on his return to Congress.

In order that the treaty might be effected for the safe removal of the Ohio Company to the Northwest Territory, it was necessary that someone take the long and hazardous journey into the Ohio Valley, to confer with and escort the various chiefs of the tribes owning its lands, to Philadelphia, where Congress was then sitting and where the final arrangements were to be made for the ceding of a tract of country. That Captain Dodge was the officer delegated to this mission speaks in itself of the great confidence reposed in him and of his unusual qualifications. Having been bred to the profession of arms from the time he was a lad, and having accompanied several military and surveying expeditions to distant parts of the new country, he had acquired a knowledge of Indian customs and languages that made him able to approach, and succeed in his mission with them at this perilous time, when to pass into the wilderness of the Ohio and Muskingum valleys, where an almost incessant border warfare raged for rights of possession, was a deed of daring in itself. Captain Dodge was a firm believer in the power of God to protect him, and though, like Eleazar in battle, he "clave unto his sword," he also knew the arts of peace, and the annals of the historical societies recording this mission show it to have been accomplished without one act of blood-shed.

He had a most intelligent, enduring and fleet horse called "Dart", as accustomed to the crackle of forest trails, mountain roads, torrents and frontier fare as was his master. On this horse he returned to Boston from Philadelphia after his trip of thousands of miles over the Alleghanies and back. When Captain Dodge again set out for the Ohio country with the colonists he was accompanied by his young wife and child. John Dodge, who afterward became the founder of Beverly, Ohio.

While out on this preliminary expedition Captain Dodge made camp one night in the Muskingum Valley, beyond Fort Harmar about 25 miles, near the mouth of what was afterward called Wolf Creek, and found a beautiful fall of water that would afford at that time quite a strong power. He thereupon located the place with a view to its future usefulness. Upon the advent of the Ohio Company at Marietta, Captain Dodge showed this to a relative and a brother officer - Maj. Haffield White and Col. Robert Oliver.

The three officers, Major White, Colonel Oliver and Captain Dodge then formed a partnership, very notable both because of its enterprise and because of its being the first corporation for doing business in the vast territory of the Northwest, since so richly teeming with great industries. They erected at these falls, about one-half mile from the present town of Beverly. Ohio, and Waterford, grist and saw mills, and built nearby a fortification or block-house for the protection from Indian attacks of those connected with the mills. These mills, according to Dr. S. P. Hildreth and other historians, furnished the bread stuff for the colonists of Marietta for a year or so before any other mills were erected in the Northwest Territory. The products of these mills were conveyed to Marietta in pirogues (a kind of dugout canoe), and attended by an armed guard. The banks of the Muskingum River at this time were covered with a labyrinth of foliage and vines that furnished a safe hiding place for many an unfriendly redman. As hostilities increased toward the last outbreak of the Indian wars of this special period, it became necessary to abandon the mills until the close of the war, when they were again put in operation. The millstones used in these mills were of very fine quality and quarried in the Blue Ridge Mountains. At the time of the Columbian Exposition in Chicago the Ohio State Historical Society asked the privilege of exhibiting these in the Anthropological Building, where they were objects of great interest. The stones, in a perfect state of preservation, remain in the possession of the Dodge family of Beverly, and are relics of extraordinary interest, also the gun which was used here and which Captain Dodge brought with him from Massachusetts when he joined the Ohio Company. An accompanying illustration depicts one of the millstones; also the gun referred to, and other objects associated with the family's history.

During the Indian War Captain Dodge took his family from the settlement in what is now Waterford township to reside in the blockhouse in Marietta, where they had relatives.

Mrs. Susanna Morgan Dodge, wife of Captain Dodge, like her kinsman. Gen. Daniel Morgan, to whose line she belonged, took a brave and active part in the frontier life of this period. According to the records of the military surgeon who came on periodical visits to Fort Harmar, Marietta, Beverly, the French settlement of Gallipolis, and other points, "there being no physicians in the forts in his absence, "Susanna Morgan Dodge" cared for a number of his patients. The gifts which had shown in the society of the East were adapted with saving common sense and courage to the exigencies and sacrifices of life in this new country. At the mill settlement made in Waterford township by her husband, flax, fields were planted and wheels for the making of thread and looms for weaving were started under her care. A linen garment made at this time is preserved by the Ohio State Historical Society. Twice a week after the establishment of Forts Dean, Tyler and Fry, when she had returned to their place near Beverly, she instructed the children from these settlements in the catechism of the Puritan faith and spiritual essentials. Family worship was maintained by her, and for many generations after her death the custom was still kept up in the same house, her works truly following her.

The Marquis De La Fayette, who had known Mrs. Susanna Morgan Dodge, at the close of the War of the Revolution, when he heard that she had joined the Ohio Company, said to an American gentleman: "There will be a Princess in the Courts of the Wilderness." Such an impression had this matron who had come to preside over one of the best known homes in the heart of the Muskingum Valley made upon the aristocratic ally of the American cause. Her wedding ring was inherited by Mrs. Susannah Dodge Cook, her granddaughter, of Marietta, Ohio.

Her son, John Dodge, Esq., of Beverly, Ohio, married for his first wile Mary Stone. The eldest son of this union. Dr. Israel Stone Dodge, was for 40 years a prominent physisician of Cincinnati and also identified with the medical college there as lecturer. His portrait accompanies this article. She was also the mother of Sidney Dodge, of Iowa, of William A. Dodge, of Christopher Columbus Dodge, of Eliza, of Melissa, and of John Dodge, who died in his youth. Of the other members of this branch of the Dodge family, one of them, Sidney Dodge, moved from Beverly to Ioiwa and became a leading citizen of Muscatine County. His son, Judge John Edward Dodge, was the youngest judge to sit upon the bench in Nebraska. Another of them became United States Minister to Spain, and still another a member of the United States Senate, a father and son both being in Congress at the same time. Of those of Captain Dodge's branch of the family who were engaged in the Civil War, Maj. Gen. Granville M. Dodge, the son of his brother, Phineas, from Massachusetts, attained perhaps the greatest distinction, although the army register of the United States contains the names of a number of other relatives directly connected with the Capt. John Dodge branch who have given brilliant military service to their country.

John Dodge, Esq., of Beverly, married for his second wife Nancy N. Patterson, of Virginia. Her family were closely related to the Baltimore Patersons. whose daughter, Elizabeth, married Jerome Bonaparte, and Mrs. Nancy Patterson Dodge bore a striking resemblance to her cousin, Madame Bonaparte. Her father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. Patterson, came from Virginia to Waterford at a very early date in the last century, to reside near Mrs. Dodge. Mr. Patterson held several public offices in Washington County and died there, being buried near his wife and daughter. Prudence (who was betrothed to Mr. Stewart, a statesman of Pennsylvania, at the time of her death) in the old Waterford cemetery, where are also buried a large number of the Dodge family.

The sons of Mr. Patterson were all collegebred men educated in the East. The eldest was Rev. Oliphant Patterson, an eminent Presbyterian divine, who preached over 50 consecutive vears in the Ohio Valley and was the author of a number of theological works. He died at Oxford. The other sons were Alfred Patterson, for many years a banker in Pittsburg; Thomas Patterson, a large cotton planter, who lived in Louisiana and Texas, dying in New Orleans; and Ewing Patterson, who entered the ministry, but died in his youth.

The children of John Dodge, Esq., of Beverly, and Nancy N. Patterson, of Virginia, were Patterson Oliphant Dodge and Colina N. Dodge, who married S. B. Robinson, a lawyer of Beverly, also at one time prosecuting attorney of Washington County.

Patterson Oliphant Dodge, who inherited that part of the estate of his father which remained of the plain land and hills back of Beverly after Mr. Dodge had laid out the bottom in the town proper, was the only one of Mr. Dodge's sons who remained in his native town until his death. Although absent in St. Paul and the West and in New Orleans for extended periods at different times, he was deeply attached to the Muskingum Valley. He took an active interest in agriculture as practiced upon his own place. He was a director in the First National Bank, established in Beverly, and one of the principal promoters and owners of an oil refinery built there. He also, in company with J. B. Bain, built the "Island Mills." then the largest flouring mills in Waterford township. He owned other manufacturies at different periods, an iron foundry, a tannery, and also operated a steam ferry between Waterford and Beverly, the rights for which he inherited from his father. Mr. Dodge was a very intellectual, as well as a patriotic man. At the outbreak of the Civil War he offered his services to his country. On account of his then failing health he was not permitted to do service, but he contributed generously to the fitting out of several military companies. He had been quite an extensive traveler in his own country. He died in the prime of his life, about 44 years of age, and is buried in Beverly, Ohio.

Patterson Oliphant Dodge, in 1859. had married the youngest daughter of Hon. Silas Heimway Jenison. a statesman who was Governor of Vermont for four terms and an author, residing at Shoreham, on Lake Champlain. The widow of Mr. Dodge, Mrs. Laura Louise Jenison Dodge, now resides with her family on the estate left to her husband. She was educated in the most cultured and exclusive society of the New England of her day, and received additional advantages in the famous French convent of Montreal, Canada, where she was taken by her father, Governor Jenison, receiving afterward also instruction from private tutors. Mrs. Dodge was one of the organizers of the Soldiers' Aid Society at the beginning of the Civil War. She was one of the original members of the "Ohio Temperance Crusade." She has presided over her household as hostess to a long succession of guests and friends, with the gentle dignity of the chatelaine of that school of manners and morals in which she was so fortunately born and reared. The last of that perfect flower of her generation whose like is not reproduced in the atmosphere of this later day. Her portrait, reproduced from the painting by Rhinehardt It, is shown on a near-by page.

Major John Patterson Dodge, eldest son of Patterson Oliphant and Laura Louise Jenison Dodge, was educated for the profession of medicine, practicing several years in Beverly in partnership with Dr. Charles M. Humston and afterward lived some time in Arizona and California. He was a graduate of Starling Medical College, of Columbus, Ohio, and also attended post-graduate courses there and at the New York Post-Graduate School and Hospital. At the beginning of the Spanish-American War, Dr. Dodge was appointed by President McKinley brigade surgeon with the rank of major, serving until the disbandment of the Cuban and Puerto Rican forces on the staff of Generals Andrews, Wade and Coleby. His services in the Montauk Detention Hospital work and elsewhere are given very honorable mention in the report of the Surgeon-General, Sternberg, upon the Spanish-American war. His portrait accompanies this sketch.

Jenison Brooks Dodge, second son of Patterson Oliphant and Laura Louise Jenison Dodge, was educated in the public schools and college of Beverly, and afterward took a business course at Poughkeepsie, New York. He has been engaged in the lumber and drug business previous to his removal to California. He is at present a resident of Kansas City, being connected with a chemical company. He is the last of the family of Ex-Gov., Silas Heimway Jenison to bear his name. The daughters of Patterson Oliphant and Laura Louise Jenson Dodge were Virginia Ve Dodge, who lives at the Dodge place, Beverly, and Agnes Dodge, a young lady who died in 1890. Agnes Dodge was a very gifted musician, her inspirational power being of a high order. She had produced several musical compositions of merit for the piano and banjo, and was also the possessor of a soprano voice of extraordinary quality and scope, that had been cultivated by the best masters. Her early death deprived the world of the fruition of a genius that would doubtless have made a brilliant career for itself.

All the members of the Dodge family from the earliest settlement of Washington County have been members of the Masonic order and loyal to its principles. During the time of the disaffection in the United States with Masonry on account of the supposed killing of one Morgan, the Mount Moriah Lodge of Beverly, Ohio, one of the first in the State, was enabled to maintain itself in its proceedings through this period by the courtesy of John Dodge, Esq., who gave up the finest upper room in his house for the use of this lodge. There the members met secretly until public disfavor was removed.

The political faith of the Dodge family has been that of the Republican party since the day of its establishment in 1856. Various members of it have been prominently identified with its work and interests. All have been loyal to its principles.

John Dodge, Esq., the founder of Beverly and of Beverly College, was born in Beverly, Massachusetts, in the year 1784, and came as a child to live in the block-house at Marietta with his parents during the Indian wars of that period. At their close in the last decade of the 18th century the home where he was reared was built by his father, Captain Dodge, on the left bank of the Muskingum, in what is now the town of Beverly. Although John Dodge, Esq., inherited a goodly estate, he was the promoter of a great number of enterprises in his day which not only added materially to the fortune left him but increased the general prosperity of the region where his family, as pioneers of the Northwest Territory, had cast their lot.

Early in the century it was the desire of Mr. Dodge to advance the educational interests of the community in which he lived; he therefore obtained from the State of Ohio a charter for the establishment of a college, intended by him to be the nucleus of a large institution for classical instruction. He built entirely at his own expense a substantial brick building of three stories well arranged for the purpose for which it was designed in that day, and secured the co-operation of well known educators. The bell placed on this building was from a noted firm of bell makers and is one of the finest-toned in the valley.

In the life time of John Dodge, Esq., he made liberal and frequent gifts to several schools and to the promotion of religious works. His home was a rendezvous for all ministers of Puritan faith who frequented the vicinity where he lived, or who passed through the vallev bound east or west. In order that Beverly College might draw to itself strength from outside sources, Mr. Dodge vested the charge of this institution in the synod of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church but not as a sectarian school. Benjamin Dana, a friend of the same faith as Mr. Dodge, later co-operated with him toward the support of the college, by giving a tract of land and coal bank, in order that the revenue from these might help to maintain the college at Beverly.

The Dodge Park
At the time that John Dodge, Esq., founded the town of Beverly, he gave for park purposes a piece of land very beautifully located on a plain in the upper part of the town. It had been a portion of the land grant made his father, Captain Dodge, for his services in the War of the Revolution. It was also a spot held as an Indian conference ground, and he considered that it would be of special interest for the purpose for which he donated it on account of its historic associations. No improvements were made on this however by the town which received the gift, until within the last decade when the granddaughter of Mr. Dodge, Miss Virginia Ve Dodge, asked the Town Council the privilege of planting it with trees and shrubbery in order that it might be completed in her life time according to the original intention of the donor. Miss Dodge was elected by vote of the people, park director. The Park is now very well grown and a great improvement to the town. It was for about 50 years after the gift was made used as a circus ground, common and pasture. Mr. Dodge also gave to the town of Beverly a plat of ground adjoining the lock walls which would answer for a boat landing and serve other purposes of conveniences. Since the government took charge of the Muskingum River improvements, this plat of ground has been kept in a beautiful lawn and has a very sightly little house for the lock keeper and makes an inviting approach to the village.

John Dodge, Esq., also made gifts of land to churches of all the denominations then existing in Beverly on which to erect church buildings. He was the means of making the town of Beverly, which he named for his birthplace Beverly, Massachusetts, the beautiful and famous spot that is now known to be, as a resort and place of residence, in a valley so widely celebrated for its charms.

Hamilton Brooks, son of Melissa Dodge and Maj. Samuel Brooks, was prominently associated with the business of Beverly previous to the Civil War and operated in company with his uncle. Patterson Oliphant Dodge, the "Island Mills," then the largest in Beverly. Following this he moved to Memphis, Tennessee, where he has since become one of the wealthiest and most honored men of that place.

[Source: History of Marietta and Washington County, by Martin R. Andrews, MA, 1902, Transcribed by C. Anthony]


History of Watertown Township
Watertown township is the largest in the county, containing an area of 42 1/2 square miles.

At the date of its establishment, June 4, 1806, Watertown, then Wooster, included only the fourth township of the tenth range. The commissioners at a subsequent meeting set off of Waterford and attached to Wooster that part of the town of Waterford lying in the third township of the tenth range, and the eleventh range, and so much of the eighth township of the eleventh range as lies south of the west branch of Wolf Creek.

At the September session of the commissioners, 1813, six sections, 31 to 36, of Union, were set off and annexed to Wooster. The name of the township was changed from Wooster to Watertown, December 6, 1824, the object being to avoid the annoyance of having two Woosters in the same State, there being a town and township bearing that name in Wayne County. The name "Watertown" was selected in honor of the Waterman family, one of whose members lost his life in the early settlement.

Watertown received an important addition of territory in 1877 when Union township was partitioned. Union township, when originally established in 1812, included the whole of township three, range nine, and sections 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 and 36, of township three, range nine. This tract had previously been a part of Marietta and Adams. Watertown as it existed before 1813 had originally been a part of Waterford.

The territory of Union had grown smaller by annexations to Watertown, Adams and Muskingum, and finally the town. December, 1877, lost its identity entirely. The part bounded by a line beginning at the southwest corner of section 26, and running due east to the southwest corner of section eight, then north to the south line of "Wiseman's Bottom allottment," then west to the southwest corner of Wiseman's Bottom, then north to the southeast corner of lot number five, in Rainbow Creek allottment, then west to the southwest corner of lot number 10, in same allottment, then north to the northeast corner of lot number 16 then west to the line of Watertown township, then south to the place of beginning, was annexed to Watertown township. The territory constituting Watertown was originally embraced in Marietta and Waterford. Legal divisions generally became smaller as the population grew more dense, but every change of boundaries but one (when Palmer was established) has resulted in the enlargement of this territory.

Much of the early history of Watertown is embraced in the history already given of the expansion of the Ohio Company. The valley above Wolf Creek was settled in 1797 by an English family named Mellor; soon followed by Mathew Corner, John Bacon and James Quigiey. Two servants of the Blennerhassetts came into Wolf Creek after the ruin of their master.

The first school in Watertown was taught in 1799 by Nathaniel Gates. Schools were in existence on West Branch and in the Starline neighborhood at an early date. Several mills have been erected on the site of the original Wolf Creek Mills previously described. A mill at Watertown was erected as early as 1825 by John Paine.

The village of Watertown sprang up at the intersection of the Marietta-Lancaster road and the county road from Waterford. The first store here was opened in1828 by Abijah Brooks, who was also first postmaster. Churchtown P. O. was established in 1875 with M. Jurdan as postmaster.

A meeting house of the Methodist denomination was the first to be erected in Watertown township. It was called Wolf Creek Chapel and was built in 1802 on the west branch. The "First Methodist Society of Wooster" w'as incorporated in 1819. A Methodist Church was built on the North Marietta road in 1830 and the Salem Church in 1871. The Watertown Church was organized in 1880. The First Presbyterian Church of Wooster was incorporated in November 1821. Ten years later the church in Waterford was organized. In 1848 a village Presbyterian Church was organized. In 1853 the two Presbyterian churches united. The First Universalist Church was built in 1835 and reorganized and rebuilt, after destruction by fire, in 1870. In 1845 a Lutheran society purchased the Methodist Church but built a new church in 1855. A Catholic Church was organized about 1850. Two churches were built in 1866,—the Ave Maria Church on Rainbow Creek, the other on land donated by Mr. Judson. The Catholic Church in Watertown is one of the finest in the county. The United Brethren society built Pleasant Grove Chapel in 1871.

The following sketch, kindly furnished us by Deming L. Breckenridge, of Watertown, will be read with interest by many who livein other parts of the county.

THE BRECKENRIDGE FAMILY.
During the times of commotion when Bruce and Baliol were contending for the throne of Scotland, many emigrated from the Lowlands to the Highlands, some taking up their abode in the mountain region and others occupying the fertile glen near the sea-shore. Among the latter, settling in Argyleshire in the Highlands, were the ancestors of the Breckenridges of this county.

John and Andrew Breckenridge were grandfathers to those of the name first coming to Washington County. The children of John were-Hugh, John, Andrew, Isabell, William, Thomas, Peggy, Mary, and Jane. Of these only four ever came to this country. Isabell married John Clark and settled in Virginia. Thomas came to this country in 1830 and settled in Belpre, where he died a few years since. His family have mostly moved to the West. John and Mary came at a later date. Andrew Breckenridge. Esq., of Belpre and the late John, David and George Breckenridge, of Barlow, were sons of Hugh. "Deacon" John and Rev. Thomas Breckenridge, of Indiana, were sons of John. Thomas Breckenridge, of Barlow, and his several brothers, some of whom have moved from the county, were sons of David Breckenridge a descendant of Andrew, - brother of John referred to, and a son of Hugh Breckenridge.

The children of Andrew Breckenridge, who married Nancy Brown, were: Robert, bom February 24, 1794; Isabeil, January 7, 1796; John and Hugh, who were twins. May 12, 1798; Edward, January 25, 1803; William, December 10, 1805; Elizabeth, March 30, 1808; and Nancy, October 10, 1815. All were born in Argyleshire. All of these became residents of Washington County and their descendants with few exceptions have remained here, really comprising the Breckenridge family solid of the county.

Robert, who came first, was married to Catharine Harvey, April 25, 1818. They left Greenock for America June 1st, landed in New York, September 1st, and walked the greater part of the way from there to Philadelphia and from there to Pittsburg, whence on keelboat they journeyed to Marietta, arriving in October, 1818. They first settled in Wesley township removing to Barlow in 1828, where Mr. Breckenridge died October 2, 1871. By his death the Barlow Presbyterian Church lost not only its senior elder, but also one of its main supporters. His wile survived him a number of years. Their family of six children were: Nancy, Catharine, Isabell, Elizabeth, James H. and Mary Ann. Catharine died December 21, 1839: Isabell died May 21, 1865; Nancy died in September, 1893; and Elizabeth, who married James Milligan, is also dead.

Isabell, daughter of Andrew and Nancy (Brown) Breckenridge, married James Colville in 1814. They came to America in the fall of 1837. Their family of eight children were: Nancy, Isabell, Robert, Andrew, James, Martha, John and Ann, - three of whom have died - John in October, 1853. Andrew in the spring of 1863, and Nancy in July, 1864. Mr. Colville was born in Scotland, 1791 and died April 2, 1877. His wife died February 2, 1870.

John and Hugh came to this country in 1820, settling in Watertown (now Paimer). John was married December 6, 1821, to Agnes Fleming who died July 7, 1838. Their family numbered three sons and three daughters; Andrew F., John, Robert, Jane, Nancy and Martha. John died December 13, 1862. The others settled near the old homestead, excepting Martha the wife of C. A. Brown. Mr. Breckenridge was elected County Commissioner in 1849. serving a term of three years. He was married again, in 1852, to Mrs. Margaret Breckenridge, who died February 5, 1871.

Hugh married Martha Harvey, January 23, 1824. Their five daughters were: Ann, who died April 14, 1862; Nancy; Elizabeth, who died June 7, 1846; Jane; and Isabell. Mr. Breckenridge was killed April 8, 1838, at a barn raising on the farm of Nathan Bell of Barlow, his brother John receiving severe injuries at the same time. Mrs. Breckenridge, who survived her husband over 30 years, died March 11, 1869.

Edward, William, Elizabeth and Nancy in company with 15 others came to the county in 1830. Edward married Jane Fleming in 1832 and settled in Watertown township. Their family of nine children were: Andrew, John, William, Edward, James F., Agnes, Jane C, Mary and Elizabeth. Elizabeth died July 12, 1848, and John, July 25 1857. James as a member of the 148th Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf., died at Baltimore, Maryland, while in the service of his country, September 10, 1864. Mrs. Breckenridge died December 19, 1865, and Mr. Breckenridge. January 20, 1892.

William settled in Barlow and married Margaret Harvey in the spring of 1831. She died February 12, 1846, leaving an only son Harvey, who is a resident of Marseilles, Illinois. Mr. Breckenridge was married again in 1847 to Ellen Reed, of Wheeling, West Virginia. Their three children are: Andrew W., Oliver, and Maggie E. Mr. Breckenridge died September 20, 1893, and his wife. May 7, 1894.

Elizabeth married David Reed in 1838. Their family consisted of Hugh, David, Nancy, and Isabell. Nancy married David Greenlees in 1833. Mr. Greenlees came from Scotland to this county in 1832 and settled near Watertown village on the farm where he lived 59 years. He died October 4, 1891, and his wife, July 7, 1890. Their family of two sons and three daughters, Sarah, Andrew, Thomas, Jane, and Agnes, are all residents of Washington County.

THE HARVEST HOME PICNIC.
Which is held in August, has for the last twenty years been one of the pleasant social events in Watertown. The first picnic, of which we have any record in the county papers, was held Saturday, August 19, 1882, in Curry's Grove. The speakers were Rev. G. W. Wesselius, J. M. Murdock, George B. Quinn, Gen. Rufus R. Dawes, Gen. A. J. Warner and Judge F. J. Cutter. Music was furnished by the Watertown Band and a glee club. Messrs. Roscoe Wolcott, James Dunbar, and Eli Gingham are named among the promoters, but no official record, is given. The reporter for the Marietta Register closes his account by saying,—"The day ended pleasantly and the picnic was inaugurated as an institution to stand and to hold annual reunions." From this sentence we suppose that the meeting of 1882 was the first. At the last meeting held (August 9, 1902), it was estimated that 8,000 people were in attendance. A. W. Ramsey was elected president, and J. A. Palmer, secretary and treasurer.
[Source: History of Marietta and Washington County, by Martin R. Andrews, MA, 1902, Transcribed by C. Anthony]


History of Wesley Township
Wesley township was established on petition of Joseph Palmer and others, in 1810, and originally embraced the territory of township three, range ten, and township seven, range eleven, then belonging to Wooster, also the south half of township eight, range eleven, belonging to Roxbury. Afterwards sections one, two, three, four, five, six of township seven and sections one, two, three of township eight were added. At present it is nine miles long from north to south, and four miles wide, containing in all 30 sections, embracing an area of almost 20,000 acres.

Wesley claims as one of its earliest settlers Hon. Thomas Ewing, whose lowly cabin stood just west of Plymouth. Other early settlers were Woodruff, Rardins, Breckenridge, Mullen, Coaley, Cable, Ames, Arnold and Smith.

The first school house was built a mile north of Plymouth about 1820. The first teacher was Miss Hewitt. Bartlett's Academy was organized in 1856, the Board of Trustees being Joseph Penrose, president, Joseph K. Bucy, Isaac Emmons, James King, Jefferson M. Heston was first principal.

The Methodist Episcopal Society erected the first church building in the township about a mile north of Plymouth in 1825. It was a log meeting house and was used until the church at Pleasanton was built in 1855. A Friends' Church was organized in 1837 and a building erected in Plymouth. The Friends' Church Southland, was a branch from the first society and erected a church four miles west of Plymouth in 1850. A United Brethren Church was erected in 1870, less than a mile south of Patten's Mills; another branch has a church in the northwest part of the township, erected in 1870.

Plymouth, on the State road in the center of the township, was founded by Harvey Smith in 1835. Mr. Smith was the first store keeper. Pleasanton was established at an earlier date, the post office being named Bartlett in honor of Amos Bartlett. the first postmaster. The first mill was erected on Wolf Creek by George and John Martin in 1816 near the present site of Patten's Mills.

[Source: History of Marietta and Washington County, by Martin R. Andrews, MA, 1902, Transcribed by C. Anthony]


BACK -- HOME
Genealogy Trails

© Copyright by Genealogy Trails