Revolutionary War Burials in Belpre, Washington County
The complete list of officers and soldiers of the Revolution buried in Belpre so far as known is as follows:
(1) Captain William Dana of Charleston or Worcester Mass.
(2) Major Jonathan Haskell born in Massachusetts. Commissioned Major in the regular service. Stationed at Marietta 1791. Died 1810 aged 62 years.
(3) Colonel Nathaniel Cushing ; born near Boston, Mass.
(4) Colonel Israel Putnam , born Salem, Mass. Served in regiment with his father General Israel Putnam.
(5) Captain Jonathan Stone . Born Braintree, Mass. Served in Northern army under Gen. Rufus Putnam and General Gates.
(6) Colonel Alexander Oliver 6f Massachusetts.
(7) Colonel Daniel Bent of Massachusetts.
(8) Sherafiah Fletcher , soldier, Lowell, Mass.
(9) Major Oliver Rice , Massachusetts.
(10) Captain Benjamin Miles , Rutland, Mass.
(11) Major Robert Bradford , Plymouth, Mass. Lineal descendant of Governor Bradford.
(12) Captain Zebulon King of Rhode Island, killed by Indians in 1789 (old cemetery.)
(13) Peregrene Foster from Rhode Island.
(14) Noah Sparehawk
These men were not only among the heroes who, by their sacrifices, gave us the best country in the world -- they were the pioneers of our favored town of Belpre. They deserve to be honored by their successors to the latest time.
(Source: "A History of Belpre, Washington County, Ohio" by Cornelius Evarts Dickinson & Samuel Prescott Hildreth, c. 1920 - Transcribed by C. Anthony)
BACK -- HOME
© Copyright by GenealogyTrails