Wayne County Ohio Genealogy Trails
A part of the Genealogy Trails History Group
Thomas Hutchinson Ashton
Ashton, Thomas Hutchinson, United States examinmg Burgeon, was born March 8, 1841, near Fayetteville, Ohio. He was educated in the common schools; Professor B. F. Southworth's School of Defiance, Ohio; and graduated from the medical department of the University of Michigan and from the University of Nashville, Tenn. During the civil war he was acting assistant surgeon in the United States army department of the Cumberland, in charge of the United States smallpox hospital; and also of the United States general hospital, No. 4, at Murfreesboro, Tenn. He has attained success in his profession at Syracuse, Neb.; and has been president of the United States examining Surgeons at Nebraska City, Neb. He has always been a close student; has collected a fine library; devotes much time to the study of anthropology and ethnology; and is the author of valuable papers on scientific subjects. [Source: "Herringshaw's American blue-book of Biography: Prominent Americans of 1912- An Accurate Biographical Record of Prominent Citizens of All Walks of Life." - TK - Sub by FoFG]
Mrs. Susan Baker, of Allen Township, was born in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, July 9, 1820. She was the daughter of Henry and Eve (Layman) Messenger, both natives of Pennsylvania, of Dutch descent. When Susan was nine years old her parents emigrated to Wayne County, Ohio, where she grew up to womanhood, and where on the 23d day of August, 1846, she was married to Timothy Baker. He was a native of New Jersey, and was born December 13, 1810. He was the son of John and Charity (Cole) Baker, both natives of New Jersey. In 1851 Mrs. Baker and her husband came to this county and located upon a farm in Perry Township. There her husband pursued the vocation of a farmer, until in April, 1881, at which time they they located where our subject now resides in Allen Township. There the death of her husband occurred April 4, 1884, since which time Mrs. Baker has been a widow. She is the mother of seven children, three of whom are living. Their names are Henry, Deborah, Sarah J., Maria, John and two daughters who died in infancy unnamed. Mrs. Baker is a member of the M. E. Church. She has a comfortable home one-half mile east of Macy, where she resides in a quiet, pleasant way. ["History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present ..." By Brant & Fuller, Chicago - BZ - Sub by FoFG]
Abraham Bales, father of Jacob Bales and grandfather of Solomon, Philip and Daniel Bales, came to Wayne County in the fall of 1811 on horseback, and then seventy-five years old, from Lebanon County, PA, and entered all the land between Solomon Bales and West Lebanon - 993 acres; buying in addition to this a quarter section in Stark County. He died with his son, Caleb Bales, in Wayne County, at the age of eighty-eight. These 993 acres were divided among nine children, Jacob receiving the 145 acres where Daniel Bales now lives. ["History of Wayne County, Ohio : from the days of the pioneers and first settlers to the present time" - Indianapolis, Ind.: R. Douglass, 1878 - Sub by FoFG]
Jacob Bales was born in Lebanon County, Pa., 1787, and removed to Wayne County in 1812, locating on the farm now owned by his son Daniel. He was married October 5, 1812, to Sada Bowers, of Lebanon County, PA, and died March 11, 1871, having had born to him nine children, three sons and six daughters. He had seven brothers and one sister, all of whom are dead. Caleb was his youngest brother, and died in Sugar Creek township during the summer of 1876. Jacob lived fifty-nine years upon the old homestead, and during that time not a death occurred among the members of his family, which was composed of nine children, although three have died since his death. His wife died June 2, 1874, and at the time of his death he had eighty-six grandchildren. He was Justice of the Peace of Paint township for a great many years, was an old time Whig and an active politician. He had many a spirited contest in the local elections of Paint, notably with James Pinkerton, whom he successively defeated until the labeled bottles entered the canvass. He was a member of the Methodist church for over twenty years, subsequently uniting with the United Brethren congregation of West Lebanon . When Mr. Bales came to the country he found it a bleak and dreary waste, infested with Indians, bears and wolves. For several years he lived without meat, and as coffee commanded an exhorbitant price it was a delicacy seldom relished and only indulged, as Daniel Bales says, "when there was a birth in the family." Mt. Eaton had no existence when he penetrated the wild woods; Massillon was barely dreamed of then, and Canton but a cluster of cabins. He took his first wheat to New Philadelphia, and traveled twenty-three miles to get his flour. He was a whole-souled, generous man, lived a sincere and pious life, his house being recognized as "the preacher's home," having entertained fifty-six ministers while living there. ["History of Wayne County, Ohio : from the days of the pioneers and first settlers to the present time" - Indianapolis, Ind.: R. Douglass, 1878 - Sub by FoFG]
Charles Edwin Bessey
Bessey, Charles Edwin, was born at Milton, Wayne County, Ohio, May 21, 1845. He was educated in the public schools, and Chigan Agricultural college, graduating with the degree of B.S.c at the Seville and Canaan academies of Ohio; then entered the Miin 1869, and M.S.c in 1872. He studied under Dr. Asa Gray at Harvard universily, and received the degrees of Ph.D. og LL.D. from the University of Iowa, and Iowa college. Early in 1870 he became professor of botany at the Iowa Agricultural College, filling this position for fifteen college years, until appointed to head of the same department at the University of Nebraska in 1884. He has been dean of the Industrial college of the University of Nebraska, 1884-88, and again from 1895, and since then head dean of the university to 1912. From 1888 to 1891 he was dean of the College of Literature, Science, and Arts, at the University of Nebraska. He has been president of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the National Educational Association, the American Microscopical society and the American Forestry Association. [Source: "Herringshaw's American blue-book of Biography: Prominent Americans of 1912- An Accurate Biographical Record of Prominent Citizens of All Walks of Life." - TK - Sub by FoFG]
Charles H. Brown
Charles H. Brown was born April 22, 1825, and was early introduced to the monotony and drudgery of the farm life. He went to school to his father, and after his death the principal over-sight of the farm devolved upon him. He remained with his mother until 1850, having the entire disposition and management of the place upon him, when, on the 22d of October of this year, he was joined in wedlock, by Rev. Archibald Hanna, to Nercissa Galbraith. Mr. Brown has three children - one son and two daughters. He is a stirring, wide-awake business man, full of activity, and in the prime of life. He is a farmer, stock-dealer, speculator, according to circumstances, a man of honor, character and reputation. ["History of Wayne County, Ohio : from the days of the pioneers and first settlers to the present time" - Indianapolis, Ind.: R. Douglass, 1878 - Sub by FoFG]
Rev. Edwin T. Brown
Religious Activity in Missouri 1865-1879 (Adapted from Sketches in The Central Baptist, June 1879, and Other Sources, R. P. R.)
Edwin T. Brown was born in Lancaster County Pennsylvania, in the year 1818. At twelve years of age he surrendered his life to Christ, and about one year thereafter was baptized into the Baptist Church in Pittsburg by the Rev. Dr. Elliott of that city. He was a student in Fayette College, Pennsylvania, for a short time, but his family having removed to Virginia, he completed his education in Rector College of that State.
In 1838 he was licensed to preach the Gospel. In the selection of the text for his first sermon he showed what was to be the ruling principle of life – “God First.” He was ordained as pastor of the Baptist Church at Connelsville, May, 1843. Shortly after he married Miss Eliza J. Bryson, daughter of Deacon Bryson, Uniontown, Pa., a cultured woman of earnest, consecrated life. She was a source of help and comfort to him during his years of Christian activity. In 1844 he moved to Ohio, and during the succeeding twenty years, became successively the pastor at Mount Vernon, Wooster and Warner in that State. Each of these churches he left stronger and more beneficently active than he found them.
During the Civil War he entered the service of the Government as Chaplain of the 2nd Ohio Volunteer Cavalry, and here manifested the same zeal for the cause of the Master, and in the interest of winning souls to His service as had been, and was subsequently the ruling spirit of his ministry.
In 1865 he was appointed to represent the Home Mission Society, New York, and came to Missouri. He settled in Sedalia, and thence extended his work as Home Missionary into the surrounding regions. Here he found a few Baptists, but no church, and he went to work among the people of the Lord, and they said, let us rise up and build to His name, and today two flourishing churches stand where there was none. In continuance of his good work – in October, 1866, he and Rev. James Woods, as they were returning from the meeting of Tebo Association, stopped in Clinton, Missouri, and preached in the Courthouse for a period of about two weeks. At the close of this meeting, twelve converts were baptized, and a church of twenty members was organized. About one year later he became pastor of this young church, and entered upon the labor of building a suitable house of worship for it. He continued this effort for about two years, in the meantime serving the church in spiritual matters faithfully and efficiently. He superintended the work of the building to the smallest minutiae, and secured for the First Baptist Church of Clinton one of the best church edifices in southwest Missouri, at the cost of about $20,000. On October 17, 1869, the dedication services were conducted by Rev. Dr. Thomas Rambaut, President of William Jewell College, as preacher, and Rev. Dr. G. J. Johnson, assistant.
He then resigned his office as pastor in Clinton and took the field for the Baptist Publication Society. This agency he held for a few years, then accepted the appointment as financial agent for William Jewell College. He was peculiarly happy in his methods as financial agent, and the College was greatly blessed in his efforts to raise money for its endowment, and in the favorable publicity he gave it in all parts of the state through which he traveled. He held this important office but a few years, for as Sedalia became something of a railroad center, his interest in the condition of that growing city caused him to feel the pressing need of supplying the families of the railroad men with Gospel privileges, and he decided to devote his life to this cause. At his own expense – bating about $200.00 given by a brother in sympathy with his work – he built a commodious chapel in the eastern part of the city, and deeded it to the Home Mission Society. Here he preached without remuneration, and gathered together a church of about one hundred members.
On October 28, 1874, this house was dedicated to the service of the Lord, Rev. Dr. G. J. Johnson of St. Louis preaching the sermon. During the March following a series of meetings was conducted by Rev. Geo. Balcom. At the close of the meetings an invitation was given to those who held letters from Baptist Churches to come together and form a church at this place. Eleven persons presented themselves, and with appropriate exercises the East Sedalia Baptist Church was launched, and has become a veritable Ship of Zion. A pleasant coincidence is found in the fact that during this meeting, Rev. E. T. Brown had the sacred pleasure of baptizing eleven candidates for church membership in the baptistery of the new building, and of the eleven, his own daughter was the first. Brother Brown was chosen as its first pastor, and served one year. After an interim of one year, which he employed in general work for the cause of Christ, he was again elected pastor, and maintained this relationship until a few months before his death.
He had a consuming zeal for church organization, and in his period of labor in Missouri, reorganized many churches that had been dispersed through the vicissitudes of the Civil War, and gathered many of them into a new Association, called the Sedalia Association. This name was subsequently changed to Central Baptist Association. That name has also lapsed, and is in part represented by what is now (1917) Harmony Association. This reminds one that the history of the mazy relations of the Association in Missouri would furnish a striking illustration of the influence that the infinitesimal has in producing change in this world of ours. A number of the churches that ha united in forming Central Baptist Association withdrew and Pettis County Association was the result. Two years later, Pettis County Association was merged into what is now (1917) Harmony Association – and may it ever remain Harmony in spirit if not in name.
The ministerial life of Rev. E. T. Brown was a fruitful one. In the thirty-eight years of his religious activity, he baptized nearly nineteen hundred converts, was pastor of seven churches, organized three, reorganized many, number unknown, and built three church edifices. He seemed to have taken three mottoes as suggestive guides to his religious life, and to have lived up to the spirit of them all: God First”; Carey’s “Attempt great things for God; expect great things from God” ; “Do with your might what your hand findeth to do.”
He died at his home in Sedalia, June 9, 1879, with a stroke of paralysis, after an illness of half an hour. The Baptist Church in Clinton, that he had organized thirteen years before, when the fact of his death became known, devoted the prayer-hour of Wednesday evening to exercises memorial of his beneficient life and labors. It was decided that the church should be represented at the funeral exercises on the following Friday. The deacons of the First Baptist Church were appointed as the representatives, and at Sedalia they were assigned a place among the honorary pall-bearers. The laboring classes, for whose welfare he had so long, so faithfully, so lovingly labored, were prominent among those that mourned the death of this good man. (Source: Missouri Baptist Biography A Series of Life-Sketches Indicating the Growth and Prosperity of the Baptist Churches As Represented in the Lives and Labors of Eminent Men and Women in Missouri Prepared at the Request of the Missouri Baptist Historical Society by J. C. Maple A.M., D.D. and R. P. Rider, A.M. Volume III; Published for The Missouri Baptist Historical Society, Liberty, Missouri by Schooley Stationery and Printing Co, Kansas City, Missouri (1918) transcribed by Mary Saggio)
Eli Brown was born on Brandywine creek, Lancaster County, Pa., and was of Quaker, Dutch and Irish parentage. He emigrated to Sugarcreek township, Wayne County, in 1810. He was a school teacher and surveyor, and for ten or twelve years gave attention to surveying, meantime entering six quarter sections of land in Paint township. So, preferring the farm to the compass, he settled on the premises now owned by Mrs. Sarah Brown, mother of Charles H. Brown. He died April 28, 1839, having had six children, two sons and four daughters. ["History of Wayne County, Ohio : from the days of the pioneers and first settlers to the present time" - Indianapolis, Ind.: R. Douglass, 1878 - Sub by FoFG]
Onis Case, of Macy, was born in Wayne County, Ohio, April 25, 1845, He was the youngest son born to Onis and Sarah (Williams) Case, natives of Wayne and Seneca Counties, Ohio, respectively. Our subject spent his boyhood and youth in his native county working upon his father's farm. In March, 1864, he came to this county and located upon a farm in Perry Township. He enlisted in Company A., 155th Indiana Regiment, in February, with which he served until the close of the war. (It is worthy of note that our subject and his four elder brothers all served in the Union Army and that all are still living). He resided in Perry Township until 1876. At that time he located in Macy and engaged in the hardware business. This has received his attention ever since. He now has a commodious little store room, well stocked, and is doing a good business. January 1, 1868, he was married to Rhoda A. Dukes, by whom he has had two children, Rollie and Ethel, both of whom are living. Mr. Case is a member of the M. E. Church and of the F. & A. M. Lodge. In politics, he is a Republican. In 1882 he was elected Justice of the Peace, and was re-elected in 1886. He is an enterprising and successful business man and a good citizen. ["History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present ..." By Brant & Fuller, Chicago - BZ - Sub by FoFG]
Was born in Wayne county, Ohio, January 3, 1833, and was principally reared and educated in Ashland county. In 1856 he came to Iowa, locating in Iowa City, then the capital, and remained four years, and during ’59-’60 he went to the mountains. After returning he was engaged in the mercantile business until 1862, when he enlisted in the 11th Iowa Infantry, served during the war and was mustered out at Detroit, Michigan. Again went to Iowa in the summer of 1865, and thence to Kansas City in September, immediately embarking in the coal trade, thus continuing until 1880. Since then he has been engaged in various enterprises. In 1877 was elected alderman on the Republican ticket, serving for two years. Was married in 1861 to Miss Catharine Givans, of West Liberty, Iowa. By this union they have seven children, five boys and two girls: Frank, Lizzie, James E., Philip R., Eva B., Stanley C. and Norris M. [Source: The History of Jackson County, Missouri, Illustrated, Union Historical Company (1881) Transcribed by K. Mohler]
Ephraim B. Clendenning
Ephraim B. Clendenning, a native of this county, and at present one of the leading business men of Macy, was born in Union Township Feb. 16, 1841. He was the oldest child born to Robert and Cynthia (Clymer) Clendenning, the former a native of Ireland, born Oct. 15, 1810; emigrated to America in 1835 and to this country about 1837; the latter was a native of Ohio, born Feb. 22, 1817; came to this country about 1837 and on the 8th day of December, 1839, was married to Robert Clendenning. She died in this county March 14, 1863. When Ephraim was about eight years old his parents removed to Richland Township, where he grew up to manhood working upon his father's farm. He remained at home until July 26, 1863, at which time his marriage occurred with Martha E. Bell. She was born in Wayne County, Ohio, April 22, 1838, being the daughter of Eben and Elizabeth Bell, natives of Ohio and New Jersey, respectively. After his marriage Mr. Clendenning engaged in farming for himself. That was in Richland Township. In 1866 he returned to his native town was County, Illinois, where the hand of death again made her a widow, December 23, 1877. In February 1886, she once more returned to this county and this time located at Macy where she now resides in a quiet happy way. She has been a member of the M. E. Church since August 1838. ["History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present ..." By Brant & Fuller, Chicago - BZ - Sub by FoFG]
Solomon Fisher, father of Hiram Fisher, of Paint township, was born in Virginia , in the year 1765, and removed to Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, in 1771. In 1792-1793 he attended a meeting to consider the Excise Law, then held in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, presided over by Albert Gallatin, who was born in Geneva, Switzerland, just four years before Mr. Fisher was born in Virginia. Daniel Bradford was Secretary of the meeting, at which a committee was appointed to draft resolutions expressive of their feelings, and present to Congress an address stating their objections and grievances of the law, and praying for its repeal. He then removed to Jefferson County, Ohio near Steubenville, where he lived some ten or twelve years, when he emigrated to Paint Township, Wayne County, in 1814, and settled on the farm now owned by his son Hiram, where he died May 25, 1849. He voted for George Washington when he was elected to the Presidency of the United States the first time in 1788.
He had fourteen children, and was twice married, six of whom are living. His son, George Fisher, was one of the first teachers in Paint township. He was a farmer by occupation, an industrious, prosperous man, and at his death was possessed of considerable wealth. He took an active interest in local politics and was highly esteemed and respected by all who knew him. In 1794 he was in the Whisky Insurrection which broke out in the western part of Pennsylvania, involving four or five counties, which at first threatened serious consequences, but which by a union of firmness and lenity on the part of President Washington was soon quelled. His life was a long and checkered one, full of public and private experiences and bitter trials. He lived to see his anticipations gratified and a government established by the great Washington, whom by his own vote he aided in elevating to the highest honors of the new-born Republic. Hiram, son of Solomon Fisher, was born in Paint township, September 12, 1829, and is a farmer and man of business. He is alert, active, full of push-ahead-ativeness and allows no grass to grow under his feet. He executes his enterprises with resolution and determination; is a man of integrity, truth and unblemished character. He abounds in vitality and good humor, and is as full of genial good nature and hospitality as a June meadow is of flowers. He was married in January, 1856, to Mary E. Fleming, of Richland County, and has ten children.
George Fraze, the only son of Jacob Fraze, was born April 1, 1821, at Putnam's Mill, Stark County, Ohio, and came to Paint township with his father, where, with the exception of three years, which he spent in acquiring the trade of wheelwright and chair-making, he has since resided. He was married March 4, 1846, to Sarah Adams, of Paint township, and has had eleven children, nine of whom are living. His son John is a graduate of Mt. Union, and of the Law College at Ann Arbor , and is practicing law at Akron, Ohio. Mr. Fraze is one of the most intelligent men of his township, progressive and enlightened in his opinions, and characterized by his ready cooperation in useful and important enterprises. He possesses a cool, calculating mind, is stern in his convictions, and has the ability to fortify and defend them. ["History of Wayne County, Ohio : from the days of the pioneers and first settlers to the present time" - Indianapolis, Ind.: R. Douglass, 1878 - Sub by FoFG]
Jacob Fraze was born in New Jersey 1772, and was a mill-wright by trade. From New Jersey he removed to Westmoreland County, PA, thence to Tuscarawas County, Ohio, and thence to Paint township, Wayne County, 1822, to where his son George now lives. He had visited the County prior to this, however, and in 1821 had built what was known as Grable's grist and saw mill, for which he received 105 acres of land, and on which he settled April 1, 1822. When he took possession of the farm its whole improvement consisted of an unchunked, undaubed, unfinished cabin, scarcely a tree felled, and not a root or grub taken out. On this farm, Mr. Fraze remained, cultivating it, and by turns working at his trade, until his death, in February, 1833. He was a capital millwright and master of his craft, and was known far and wide, and was often known to hide when persons would call at his house to get him to repair their mills. He was of German origin, and an excellent German as well as English scholar. He was married in 1827 to Rachael Willard, of Tuscarawas County, Ohio, and had three children. ["History of Wayne County, Ohio : from the days of the pioneers and first settlers to the present time" - Indianapolis, Ind.: R. Douglass, 1878 - Sub by FoFG]
Conrad Haverstock, a native of Switzerland, came to America with his parents, who settled in the State of New York, subsequently removing to Tuscarawas County, Ohio, in 1812, and to Paint township in 1817, settling on the farm now owned by Daniel Haverstock, where he lived and died in his 75th year, 1830. He entered the farm from the Government. He was married to Margaret Richard, of Bedford County, PA, and had ten children, all of whom are dead but Daniel, who now lives upon and owns the old farm. He was a member of the Lutheran church, and is buried in Mt. Eaton. Daniel Haverstock, only remaining son of Conrad, was born in Bedford County, Pa., August 27, 1806; came to Paint township, With his father, and has pursued the vocation of farmer all his life. He was married to Rebecca Kiser, of Paint township, and has had ten children, three of whom are dead. His wife died May 13, 1868. ["History of Wayne County, Ohio : from the days of the pioneers and first settlers to the present time" - Indianapolis, Ind.: R. Douglass, 1878 - Sub by FoFG]
David Houmard was born in Canton Berne, Switzerland, April 29, 1802, and removed to America in 1825, reaching New York, after a voyage of forty-four days, July 28, of this year. He was married, prior to his emigration from Switzerland, to Mary Ann Rosalie, April 15, 1825, sailing June 14, 1825, in search of a new home in the Western world.
Arriving at the great sea-board city he took passage up the Hudson river to Albany, thence taking the Erie Canal* (*Mr. Houmard says they were the first European emigrants that passed the great Erie Canal) as far as Lockport, when, on account of the unfinished condition of the locks, they had to go six miles by land; thence by canal again to within three miles of Buffalo, which distance they were compelled to walk to the city, and thence to Cleveland via the lake. Reaching the latter city, then composed of forty or fifty houses, and making observations there for several days, he took his departure for Sugarcreek township, where he arrived September 2,1825.
Here Mr. Houmard narrowly escaped death. Parties were blasting rock, and they called to him to run, as a fuse was being lighted, but not understanding a word of English, disregarded them, when he was thrown down and wonderfully stunned.
From the time he left home in Switzerland till he attained his destination in Sonneberg, seventeen weeks and one day were consumed-now it takes thirteen days. His father and mother accompanied him, and their total outfit of baggage, including a wagon, footed in round numbers, 1,765 pounds. Before leaving Cleveland Mr. Houmard purchased a yoke of oxen, paying therefore $36, which they hitched to the wagon, and in that way they journeyed to Sugarcreek. He remained but a month in Sonneberg, when he removed to where Abraham Houmard now lives, continuing there till the 10th of May, 1826, when he settled in Paint township, where he has since resided. Here they purchased 160 acres of land, for which they paid $675. The first winter they lived in a rude log house, but in the following spring they began to build on the farm where he now lives. The object of the Houmard family when they abandoned their old country was to settle in Kentucky, about which they heard a great deal, but stopping to see Swiss friends in the Sonneberg settlement they concluded they liked the place, and dismissed their original project. Mr. Houmard is a cutler by trade, and gave his attention to repairing guns, sharpening edge-tools and manufacturing them. He carries a pocket-knife which he made in Europe fifty-three years ago, which on one occasion he covered when putting on a roof, and which, twenty years afterward, he found upon removing the same. In this old shop are many antique and quaint tools, many of his own manufacture. There are grindstones, from the size of a Scotch cake to the nether mill-stone, and a huge wheel to turn them, and work-benches, various and comic, and bearing the print of antiquity. We will briefly describe the house, built by Mr. Houmard in 1826: The original dimensions of it were 20x30 feet, and it was constructed of logs, not hewed until after the house was erected. It was composed of two rooms, the second one on the east side being nearly square, and without being filled or mudded. Here his family, consisting of wife and child, passed the winter of 1826. The cabin was without a floor, the fire-place was in the center of the room, and, as companions of his family, the cow and calf were wintered in the same room, the cabin being house and stable both. The milk was kept in white walnut troughs, strained through old garments and clothes, and the churn was made of a hollow cherry tree, with a board nailed on at the bottom. Combining his fine memory with his long-kept diary, he makes a very agreeable sort of a French lexicon. An evening spent with him, if for no other purpose than pour passer le temps, is quite enjoyable. He has acquired a partial knowledge of the English tongue, and intelligibly addresses himself to conversation. He practices the courtesies so characteristic of his people, is buoyant, vivacious and full of the gaiete de coeur of the true Frenchman. He is a relic-hunter and keeper, and possesses specimens that would adorn the shelves of the antiquary. He has a sword made in 1414; a coin bearing the image of Louis XVI., who was be-headed, the neck of the image bearing a cross-scar, and the crown on the reverse side all cut and hacked, as with knives. He lives in quiet seclusion upon his farm, a respected citizen, a kind and accommodating neighbor, devoted to his family and strongly attached to his kindred. ["History of Wayne County, Ohio : from the days of the pioneers and first settlers to the present time" - Indianapolis, Ind.: R. Douglass, 1878 - Sub by FoFG]
George Kimntel was born in Somerset County, Pennsylvania, January 27, 1811. His father was a farmer, and immigrated to Stark County, Ohio, in 1815, settling on the Steubenville road, two miles east of Waynesburg. The subject of this notice spent his early years with his father, laboring on the farm, going to Canton afterward and learning the trade of tailoring. He was married in November, 1832, to Miss Eliza Beals, of Paint township, the same year having removed to Mt. Eaton. He has had seven children, one son and six daughters, all save two of the daughters dead. Josephine, wife of David McQuillet, lives with her husband in St. Louis, and Lucy Ann, wife of Samuel Yates, with her husband, resides in Sedalia, Missouri. When Mr. Kimmel came to Mt. Eaton there were but four Frenchmen in the village, to wit: Emanuel Nicolet, Isaac Banly, Louis Dodez and a Mr. Perrott. Its population then consisted of Pennsylvanians and a few Virginians. Mr. Kimmel is a farmer, a good citizen, a member of the Methodist church of Mt. Eaton, joining the same in 1834. ["History of Wayne County, Ohio : from the days of the pioneers and first settlers to the present time" - Indianapolis, Ind.: R. Douglass, 1878 - Sub by FoFG]
Samuel J. Kirkwood
Samuel J. Kirkwood received his early education in the rural schools, and graduated from the Indiana University. For two score years he had a prominent place among the educational men of Ohio. With success he served as superintendent of schools in Cambridge, Bucyrus and Tiffin. In 1870, at the opening of the University of Wooster he responded to an invitation to take the chair of mathematics and astronomy. For thirty-one years he was a member of the university faculty. Since 1890 he served as vice-president, an office to which, until two years ago, were attached the onerous and important duties of college dean. He was the last of the original Wooster faculty.
He stood for more than an ideal college professor. He was a constant and interested student of the science, art and history of education. He was progressive, and thoroughly understood the functions of the school and college in our civilization. The early years of his professional career were spent in the public schools, of which he was the friend and avowed champion. The high school graduate, presenting himself at the university, naturally looked to Dr. Kirkwood for advice and sympathy. His long, unselfish service as county and city school examiner and institute instructor kept him in very close touch not only with educational problems but with educational people. He loved to associate with public school teachers, and was a regular attendant at educational meetings. He was ever ready to suggest to worthy, bright young people the importance of higher education. He was a discriminating judge of men and always ready to help a worthy person.
Of his services in the University one of his colleagues speaks as follows: "He was ever recognized as a most efficient teacher, and many a student owes his taste for study and, consequently, his whole education to the zeal inspired by this enthusiastic and earnest teacher. He was always recognized as a friend of the students and ever their advocate, so far as his conscience would allow. He was their friend in financial difficulty, their friend in spiritual difficulty, their friend first and always: and it is doubtful if in the history of the institution there has been a man who has been the trusted confidant of so many of his pupils in matters which seldom another is allowed to know.
"Dr. Kirkwood was always recognized by his colleagues as a most valuable counselor in committee and faculty. His keen mind often saw through difficulties which befogged the intellectual atmosphere of all others, and his clear reasoning many times led to correct conclusions and right methods of procedure when the danger of error seemed imminent. Whatever the circumstances he was always just, and whatever the provocation he was never vindictive."
One who for years had been a student under Professor Kirkwood wrote: "God richly endowed him with capacity as a teacher. As such there are many now in the midst of life's conflicts who rise up and call him blessed. Memory recalls, how easily, the fine inspiration for things good, the outlook upon life, its daily event and history, the intimacy with things important for reality and usefulness, all of which came from him and through him.
Dr. Kirkwood was a man of a wide range of knowledge and of many-sided interests. He served as elder in the Presbyterian Church, and was a charter member of the Century Club of Wooster. From a sense of duty he took an active interest in public affairs and his advice was frequently sought by those who had them in charge. As city engineer he had to do with the plan for the paving and sewerage of his city. In all things he showed himself eminently a practical man. This gift gave him a high place in the confidence of all those who knew him.
But, the "summons" came, and him, "The all-beholding sun shall see no more, In all his course." June 24, 1901.
Charles Hakpert. [Source: "Educational History of Ohio" by James J. Burns. Published 1905 - LR - Sub by FoFG]
John C. Kratzer
A native of Switzerland, born March 23, 1833, son of Christian and Elizabeth Kratzer. The family emigrated to America in 1849, and settled near Wooster, Ohio, and remaining there one year came to Miami County in 1850 and settled on a farm in Clay Township and here the father of Mr. Kratzer died February 11, 1883, the mother preceding him December 19, 1881. The subject of this biography had the advantages of fine schools and received a classical education. At the age of ten he began serving an apprenticeship at the jeweler's trade at his birthplace, Cheux-de-Fonds, Switzerland. He came to Peru in 1852, since which time he has been engaged in the jewelry business in this city. By industry and energy he has succeeded, and is now one of the best business men in his line in this county. He was married November 10, 1857, to Miss Eliza Rettig, a native of Ohio. By that union two children, were born. Mrs. Kratzer died April 2, 1879, and May 25, 1881 he married Mrs. Sarah Rettig, widow of John Rettig. Mr. Kratzer has been a member of the Peru City Council. He is a K. of P. and an Odd Fellow. He is a good citizen and an honorable man. He erected Odd Fellows Hall in this city. He is a Democrat. Mrs. Kratzer has one daughter by her first husband. [Source: "History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present ..." By Brant & Fuller, Chicago - BZ - Sub by FoFG]
Henry Lash was born in New Jersey, February 11, 1801, in Sussex County, near Newton, the County-seat. His father was a farmer, and of German descent, with whom he remained till the attainment of his majority, when he married Miss Nancy Craven, of Pennsylvania. He continued with his father, working upon the farm, for about three years after his marriage, when he accepted Greeley's advice and went West, settling first in the woods in Paint township, about two and a half miles from Mt. Eaton, bringing with him his wife and two small children.
His father, David Lash, had purchased the quarter section, prior to Henry's removal, from Mr. Miller, who had entered it. In the spring of 1825 it was that Mr. Lash arrived at his home in in the woods, destitute of every evidence of civilization, save a log shanty, which he had partly built the fall before. Before his wife and children could get into it, he had to cut out a door, the windows even not being opened. The cabin was 18x18 feet, of round logs, clap-board roof, puncheon or split log floor, one window and one door. Fortunately he had a sash for the window, which he had brought along from New Jersey.
His father "moved" him, in a one-horse wagon, all the way from old Sussex, transporting for the youthful pioneer a bureau, bed, etc., and driving two cows. When his father left him, his son had good health and enjoyed themselves. He is a member of the Presbyterian church at Mt. Eaton, in charge of Rev. Milton Brown, uniting within Rev. Hanna's pastorate, of which organization he has been a member for fifty-five years.
When he removed to Paint township there were no French inhabitants in Mt. Eaton, the County being settled by Pennsylvanians, etc., etc. His neighbors were the three Dobbins families, Isaac Peppard, Leonard Craven, and chiefly Presbyterians. His first wife dying, he was married again to Lucinda Dorland, September 25,1872. ["History of Wayne County, Ohio : from the days of the pioneers and first settlers to the present time" - Indianapolis, Ind.: R. Douglass, 1878 - Sub by FoFG]
John Russell Liddell
Among the leading merchants of Camden, Wilcox county, Ala., J.R. Liddell takes a foremost position. He was born in Wooster, Ohio, November 16, 1848, the son of David and Christina (Russell) Liddell, who were both born near Glasgow, Scotland. David was a young man when he came to the United States and settled in Wayne county, Ohio, then the far west. He met and married Miss Russell of Pennsylvania, who had been brought by her parents to America when she was a child, they having settled in Pennsylvania. Three children were born to the union of David and Christina Russell, and were named William G., John R., and Christina A. The daughter is now deceased; William is residing in Dalton, Ga., and the second born is the subject of this sketch. David Liddell devoted his life to the pursuit of agriculture, and both he and his wife ended their days on the homestead in Wayne county, Ohio. John Russell Liddell received a liberal education in his native town. In 1871, he came to Alabama and located at Prairie Bluff; in 1876 he moved to Camden and entered into partnership with a Mr. Richards, under the firm name of Richards & Liddell, in general merchandising; in 1885 the style of the firm was changed to J.R. Liddell & Co., and so remains. Mr. Liddell is also largely interested in planting and in a grist mill and ginnery, at Camden, and holds, beside, an interest in the firm of Henderson & Liddell, at Black's Bluff. Mr. Liddell has always conducted his business affairs on strictly business principles, and for this reason has made a success of them, and he began on a limited capital, and it is owing to his excellent qualifications for mercantile trade alone that wealth is his. He is a deacon in the Presbyterian church, and lives fully up to its teachings. His activity in Sunday school work is untiring and he is looked upon as a most able superintendent of the Sabbath school attached to the church to which he belongs. His marriage took place, in 1855, to Miss Mary H. Rickey, of San Diego, Cal., to which happy union have been born two children - Roy H., and John R., Jr. [Source""Memorial record of Alabama : a concise account of the state's political, military, professional and industrial progress, together with the personal memoirs of many of its people" by Taylor Hannis ; Madison, Wis.: Brant & Fuller, 1893 - Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
William Lucas, a native of Northamptonshire, England, immigrated to America in 1832, the same year settling in Mt. Eaton. Three years thereafter he married Ruth Geiger, who was the first woman he saw in Paint township; had six children, two sons and four daughters. He began keeping hotel in 1836 in Mt. Eaton, and, with the exception of nine years similarly spent at other places, he has been in the hotel business in this village. His wife, so well and favorably known as "Mother Lucas," died in January, 1873. Robert A. Lucas and wife have charge of the hotel. ["History of Wayne County, Ohio : from the days of the pioneers and first settlers to the present time" - Indianapolis, Ind.: R. Douglass, 1878 - Sub by FoFG]
George Mathoit, a native of South France, removed to Paint township and settled in Mt. Eaton in 1837. He was married to Cecelia Dodez, of Paint township, and died April 20, 1872. He engaged in the furniture business after his arrival, and continued therein until his death. A. C. Mathoit, his son, was born September 23, 1842, and, with David Ketterer, conduct and are proprietors of the steam furniture works of Mt. Eaton. ["History of Wayne County, Ohio : from the days of the pioneers and first settlers to the present time" - Indianapolis, Ind.: R. Douglass, 1878 - Sub by FoFG]
A. M. McMillen, M. D.
A. M. McMillen, M. D., was born in Jefferson County, Ohio, near Steubenville, in 1816. His father was a mill-wright and farmer, with whom the subject of this sketch remained during his earlier years. After preparing himself for the school-room he began teaching, and for eight years devoted himself to this employment. He read medicine in Canal Fulton with Dr. Howard, and graduated at the old Medical College of Cleveland. He began practice at West Lebanon, in 1849, continuing there until his death, which occurred May 4,1874. He was married in the spring of 1849 to Rebecca Neeper, of Lancaster County, Pa., by which union there were eight children. He was a member of the Presbyterian church of Mt. Eaton. ["History of Wayne County, Ohio : from the days of the pioneers and first settlers to the present time" - Indianapolis, Ind.: R. Douglass, 1878 - Sub by FoFG]
D. H. McMillen, M. D.
D. H. McMillen, M. D., a nephew of Dr. A. M. McMillen, was born in Stark County, Ohio , near Greenville , October 13, 1848; read medicine with his uncle and graduated from the Cincinnati College of Medical Surgery in June, 1874. He began practice with his uncle in July, 1874, and continues the same in West Lebanon . He was married January 6, 1876, to Miss J. A. Braden, of Sugarcreek township. ["History of Wayne County, Ohio : from the days of the pioneers and first settlers to the present time" - Indianapolis, Ind.: R. Douglass, 1878 - Sub by FoFG]
James Y. Pinkerton
James Y. Pinkerton was born in Somerset County, Pa., April 1, 1802. He removed to Wayne County and settled near Mt. Eaton in 1823, and ever after lived an honored, worthy and esteemed citizen of Wayne County. He was well and popularly known throughout his township and the County; was elected at different times Justice of the Peace of his township and served in the capacity of County Commissioner to the satisfaction and approval of the public. He was married to Lydia Beam, with whom he lived for nearly 44 years, and had been an active, ardent and faithful member of the Methodist church for nearly 43 years preceding his death. Whether as Justice of the Peace, as Surveyor or Commissioner, he endeavored to perform the trusts committed to him with impartiality, fairness and fidelity. He was identified with the improvements and local interests of his neighborhood all his life. He died at his residence, near Mt. Eaton, September 22, 1875. His son, Van Buren Pinkerton, occupies the old homestead and is an honorable and influential citizen of the township. ["History of Wayne County, Ohio : from the days of the pioneers and first settlers to the present time" - Indianapolis, Ind.: R. Douglass, 1878 - Sub by FoFG]
Matthew Pinkerton was born in Somerset County, PA, May 30, 1817, and removed with his father to Wayne County April 17, 1823. His father died in September, 1860, aged 86 years. His occupation was that of farmer and stock-dealer, living on the farm for 44 years. He has held nearly all the offices attainable in Paint township. He was six years a merchant in Mt. Eaton, has held the office of County Treasurer for two terms, was a stockholder in the old Commercial Bank of Wooster, to which city he removed in March, 1867. He issued the currency known as the "Pinkerton Checks" during the war. ["History of Wayne County, Ohio : from the days of the pioneers and first settlers to the present time" - Indianapolis, Ind.: R. Douglass, 1878 - Sub by FoFG]
Charles C. Roth, M. D.
Charles C. Roth, M. D. was born in the kingdom of Wertemberg, October 6, 1827, and emigrated to America in 1853, landing at New York after a voyage of forty-five days. He remained in the city in one of the hospitals for eighteen months, upon a small salary, when he removed to Winesburg, Holmes County, Ohio, and began practice with Dr. Peters. He removed to Mt. Eaton in 1856, which has since been his home.
Dr. Roth studied his profession in Tübingen, in Wertemberg, and Heidelburg, in Baden, graduating at Tübingen. He was in the naval academy at this latter place; was in the Schleswig-Holstein war of 1847, and the Revolution of 1848, and has in his possession a medal awarded him for bravery at Baden, by the Duke of Baden. He was married May 7, 1857, to Magdalene Miller, of Louisville, Stark County, and has had six children. The Doctor is a member of the Reformed church of Mt. Eaton. ["History of Wayne County, Ohio : from the days of the pioneers and first settlers to the present time" - Indianapolis, Ind.: R. Douglass, 1878 - Sub by FoFG]
Gustave Schaffter was born in Berne, Switzerland, June 10, 1837, and came to America in 1858, his brother, Florian Schaffter, accompanying him. They removed to Mt. Eaton in 1864, and became partners in the manufacture of wagons and buggies. ["History of Wayne County, Ohio : from the days of the pioneers and first settlers to the present time" - Indianapolis, Ind.: R. Douglass, 1878 - Sub by FoFG]
John W. Seibert
JOHN W. SEIBERT is one of the venerable residents of Ferry county, (WA) and is now making his home on the Sans Poil river about fifteen miles south of Republic. His sons located the town of Westfork which bids fair to become one of the prosperous villages of the county. Mr. Seibert devotes his attention to mining and farming and has shown himself industrious and reliable. He was born in Berkeley county, Vermont on June 12, 1825, being the son of Samuel and Mary (Mong) Seibert, natives of Pennsylvania and Vermont, respectively. They later settled in the state of Ohio, and lived there the rest of their lives. Our subject was one of nine children, named as follows: Aaron, Moses, J. W., who is the subject of this article. Mary, Samuel, Michael, Cyrus, Benjamin, and Joseph. In Wayne county, Ohio, our subject was educated, receiving a good common school training, and at the age of twenty-six, began life for himself. He worked on a farm for some time, and then learned the miller's trade which he followed for twenty years. In 1849, Mr. Seibert crossed the plains to California and mined for a while, then returned home, having gone just two years and thirteen days. After this, he farmed in Ohio until 1873, then went to Missouri. Later, we find him in Huntsville, Washington. A short time after settlement there, he came on to Okanogan county, which was his home for fifteen years. During that time, Mr. Seibert gave his attention to mining almost exclusively, then moved to Ferry county, locating where we fine him at the present time. He owns the Planton mine, which has one hundred and thirty feet of tunnelling [sic], and for a half interest of which he was recently offered four thousand dollars. In connection with his sons he also owns valuable placer mines, and is also interested in the townsite of Westfork with them.
In 1853, Mr. Seibert married Miss Delia, daughter of William and Elizabeth (Crofford) Ritchey, natives of Ohio. The parents lived in Ohio until their death and to them were born seven children, Katherine, Delia, Charles, Jane, Ellen, Thomas and Matilda. To Mr. and Mrs. Seibert seven children have been born: Samuel, deceased; Joseph; Ohio, a physician in Ohio; Jessie, wife of J. Inman in Whitman county; Washington; C. H.; J. B.; and R. D. The last three named are still at home with their parents.
Mr. Seibert is a good, active Republican, and has always labored for the upbuilding of the communities where he has dwelt. He has held various offices and has always shown himself a patriotic and substantial citizen. [SOURCE: "An Illustrated History of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan, and Chelan Counties in the state of Washington"; Western Historical Publishing Company, 1904 - tr. By Sandra Stutzman]
Jacob Souers Family Biography
Elijah Tasker was born in Fairfax , Virginia , 1787; removed to Ohio in 1820, settling in Paint township, where he lived, and died July 4, 1835. He was married September 7, 1815, to Nancy Jenkins, of Romney, Hampshire County, Va., where she was born December 18, 1797. When he removed to Wayne County, Reasin Franks, brother of Peter Franks, of Saltcreek township, assisted him in his passage. Hooking two of his horses into Tasker's wagon, and he furnishing two, the journey was entered upon and successfully accomplished. Mr. Tasker engaged in farming until his death. Like other of the pioneers, he and his family felt the pressure of hard times and were witnesses to the hardships and trials of those dark days. He had four children-three sons and one daughter-the latter becoming the wife of William Rogers, of Wooster, and who died August 30, 1876. His three sons, James, William and Isaiah, all live in Wayne County. January 9, 1844, the wife of Elijah Tasker was again joined in marriage to Thomas Marshall, a native of Beaver County, Pa., and who removed to Wayne County and settled in Mt. Eaton, in March, 1842. ["History of Wayne County, Ohio : from the days of the pioneers and first settlers to the present time" - Indianapolis, Ind.: R. Douglass, 1878 - Sub by FoFG]
James D. Westcott, M. D.
James D. Westcott, M. D., was born in Trumbull County, Ohio, January 6, 1817. His father was a ship carpenter, whom the son assisted in various ways, and with whom he remained until he was seventeen years old. He read medicine with Dr. J. Welsh, of Waynesburg, Stark County, Ohio, with whom he staid five years, and then went to the Ohio Medical College - old school - under Dr. John Mussey. He entered upon practice at Magnolia, Stark County, where he remained a year, removing in March, 1837, to Mt. Eaton, where he has continued to the present time. He was married March 12, 1845, to Amanda Lash, of Stark County, and has had eight children. ["History of Wayne County, Ohio : from the days of the pioneers and first settlers to the present time" - Indianapolis, Ind.: R. Douglass, 1878 - Sub by FoFG]
Copyright © Genealogy Trails