Hugh Campbell, the well-known and popular druggist of North Baltimore, was born June 12, 1837, in Washington county, Penn., and is a son of William and Elizabeth (McFadden) Campbell. the father of our subject was a native of Pennsylvania, while the mother came from Ireland. They were married in Washington county, Penn., and in October, 1838, came to Ohio, entering land in Henry township, and also buying a farm in Bloom township, Wood county, where they made their home for the remainder of their lives. William Campbell was born in 1798, and died in 1874. His wife was born in 1795, and died in 1872. they were consistent members of the Presbyterian Church, and the father was originally a Whig, joining the ranks of the Republican party on its formation. They were the parents of nine children, of whom seven grew to maturity: Nancy, who married James Eckles, and is deceased; William, who was a soldier in the Rebellion from Hancock county, Ohio, and died in Liberty township; John, who was in the 144th O.V.I. during the Civil war, and died in Michigan; Elizabeth, who married Ephraim Miller, and is deceased; Henry, living in North Baltimore; Sarah, the wife of James Morehead, of Seward, Neb.; and Hugh.
The subject of this sketch attended school in his boyhood in the Stone Battery school house in Bloom township, and assisted his father upon the farm until his marriage. This event took place October 10, 1861, when he was united to Miss Margaret Telfer, who was born in Jefferson county, Ohio, August 31, 1833. Four children have come to them, namely: Corwin E., born July 8, 1862, married Miss May Lampitt, and has one child--Edith; William S., born April 19, 1866, is at home; Frank B., born September 22, 1867, married Miss Cora Trout; James Owen, born October 26, 1870, married Miss Katie Miller.
After his marriage Mr. Campbell settled on a farm in Bloom township; but did not long purse this peaceful avocation of a farmer, for on August 20, 1862, he enlisted in defense of the old flag, going out as corporal in Company I, 111th O.V.I., which regiment was assigned to the Twenty-third Army Corps. During his three years' service hew saw much active fighting, being in the battles, amongst others, of Campbell Station, Buzzard's Roost, the siege of Atlanta, Franklin, and Nashville, Tenn. He was honorably discharged June 27, 1865, with the rank of sergeant.
On his return from the army Mr. Campbell resumed his occupation as a farmer, which he continued until 1889, when he sold his place and removed to North Baltimore, a year later opening the drug store which he has since so successfully carried on. He is recognized as a man of much ability, of high principles, undoubted integrity, and a force of character which brings him to the front in all public enterprises. His genial manners and straightforward methods of business have made him many friends and brought him a large trade, while his worth as a citizen has made him a leader in his community. Mr. Campbell is a Republican in politics, a Presbyterian in his religious belief, and a member of Sill Post No. 57, G.A.R., of which he was commander for one term. ["Commemorative Historical & Biographical Record of Wood County, Ohio; Its Past and Present", Chicago: J.H. Beers & Co. 1897 - Transcribed by: DeAnna Lawrence]
Abel Comstock, a well-known justice of the peace of Bowling Green, was born September 4, 1843, in Mercer county, Penn., and is the son of Robert and Sarah (McDowell) Comstock. His father was born August 8, 1818, near Burlington, Vt., and his mother April 13, 1817, in Mercer county. Their marriage took place in the latter county, in 1842.
The paternal grandfather of our subject, Abel Comstock, was born in Connecticut, about the close of the Revolutionary War, and was a millwright by trade. He removed to northern New York, near Lake Champlain, and soon after his son Robert came to Ohio he went to Dubuque, Iowa, where he died at the age of ninety-seven years. He was on of the old Scotch Covenanters, of stern demeanor, adhering strictly to what he believed to be right, and was deeply imbued with the spirit of the old Blue Laws of Connecticut. His wife was a Miss McClintock, who was born in the Highlands of Scotland, and who died sometime in the "sixties," in Iowa. The maternal grandfather of our subject, John McDowell, was a native of Pennsylvania, where he followed farming. At the battle of Fort Meigs, he commanded a company of State volunteers, and was a brave soldier.
The father of our subject went to Pennsylvania about 1840, and engaged in lumbering and milling, operating a grist and saw mill. He came to Ohio in September, 1848, locating two and one-half miles from Bowling Green, on the old Findlay road, where he bought land from a man named Frank McGinnis, and where he has made his home ever since. His wife died May 17, 1889. Mr. Comstock, Sr., in his early life, belonged to the old Scotch Covenanter's Church, afterward, with his wife, going over to the Seceders, but is now a member of the Congregational Church. He was originally a Whig, later, on the formation of the Republican party, adopted its platform, and has cast his vote for both the Harrisons for President. To Robert Comstock and his wife were born eight children, as follows: Abel; John, who died in 1846; Robert H., who resides in St. Louis, Mich.; Jennie, married to Everett Chapman, and living at West Mystic, Conn.; Isabelle, who became the wife of S.C. Woodberry, and died in 1873; George, deceased in infancy; William, a commercial traveler, residing at Perrysburg, Ohio; and Edward, living on the old homestead.
The subject of this sketch was reared in Wood county, where he attended the common school, finishing his education at a university. When the guns of Fort Sumter were fired, the military spirit inherited from his brave ancestors broke forth in the young man, and, although he had not yet attained his majority, he enlisted in August, 1861, in Company c, 21st O.V.I., under Gen. Nelson, his regiment being sent to eastern Kentucky, and later to Louisville. It was then assigned to the 14th Army Corps, army of the Cumberland, and there remained until the close of the war, in 1865. Mr. Comstock took part in all the engagements in which his regiment participated during this time, until the spring of 1864, when he was stricken with smallpox, and was sent to the hospital at Chattanooga. On his recovery he again went to the front, and was with Sherman on his march to the sea. While stationed at Savannah, Ga., he went on December 16, 1864, on a foraging expedition, and was taken prisoner by a band of guerrillas. He was sent to Augusta, thence to Florence, S. C., and to Goldsboro, N.C., where he remained in prisons until March 4, 1865, suffering all the horrors endured by the captives in those terrible days, some idea of which may be gained from the fact that in these few months his weight was reduced from 180 to 90 pounds. He was very ill a greater part of the time, being delirious with fever, and was unconscious at the time he was paroled at Wilmington, N.C., March 4, 1865. He was honorably discharged June 8, 1865, having served his country well and faithfully during the entire war. His regiment made a brilliant record during its service. In the battle of Chickamauga, history states that it went into the fight with 448 privates and non-commissioned officers, and came out with 106 privates and two officers, our subject being one of the latter.
At the close of the war, Mr. Comstock returned home, and engaged in farming, but soon afterward removed to Michigan, where he taught school, and also worked at lumbering. His health failing, he came back to Bowling Green and opened up a lumber yard, which he carried on until the spring of 1879, when he began reading law with Col. J. A. Shannon, with whom he afterward formed a partnership, which continued until the former left the city in 1886. Mr. Comstock has made a specialty of pension cases, having had charge of over five thousand claims, and has practiced in the department at Washington. He was elected justice of the peace of Bowling Green in September, 1890, was re-elected in 1893, and is holding that office at the present time. He is a ardent Republican, and, as may be inferred from his war record, a loyal supporter of the government. He is a leading member of the G.A.R., belonging to Wiley Post No. 46, of which he was first adjutant for six years, and commander for two years. He also belongs to the K. of P. On February 21, 1864, he was married, in Wood county, to Miss Rosamond Davis, who was born in Perrysburg, October 12, 1846. They have had five children, of whom two are now-living: Helen I., a graduate of the Oberlin Conservatory of Music, who has attained a local reputation as a contralto singer, and also as a pianist; Herbert, a telegraph operator in Chicago for the C. M. & St. P.R.R.; Harry, who died when twenty-two years old; James A., deceased in infancy; and Itana B., who died when sixteen years old of typhoid pneumonia. ["Commemorative Historical & Biographical Record of Wood County, Ohio; Its Past and Present", Chicago: J.H. Beers & Co. 1897 - Transcribed by: DeAnna Lawrence]
Benjamin B. Hoiles
Benjamin B. Hoiles, deceased, was for a number of years one of the most prominent and influential agriculturists of Montgomery township. He was a native of Ohio, born in Georgetown, Columbiana county, September 18, 1825, and was a son of Joshua and Rachel Hoiles, who moved to Alliance, Ohio, when our subject was quite small, making their home in what is now known as Mount Union, a part of that city. In religious belief they were Friends, and were originally from Philadelphia, Penn. The father never accumulated much of this world's goods, but was an industrious, honest man, who was employed mostly at day labor in clearing land.
In the family were sixteen children, twelve of whom grew to adult age, namely: Nicholas, who died at Mount Union, at the age of eighty-five years; Mrs. Elizabeth Rinear, who died in Columbiana county, Ohio; William, who died in Lucas county; Charles, who died at Orville, Ohio; Maria, who was the wife of Joseph Barnaby, and died at Alliance; Joshua, who died at Mount Union; Benjamin B., of this review; Jonathan, who died in Montgomery township, Wood county; Melvina, now Mrs. John Watson, of Mount Union; Priscilla, who married Levi Pierce, and died at Mount Union; Zedrick, of Alliance; and Mary, who wedded John Johnson, and died in Stark county, Ohio. Many of the family died very suddenly of paralysis.
Most of the early life of Benjamin B. Hoiles was passed at Mount Vernon, where he learned the carpenter's trade with his brother Charles. He was married at Alliance November 11, 1852, to Miss Maria B. Stock, who was born at New Lisbon, Ohio, December 16, 1827, and is the daughter of Henry and Minerva (Stallcup) Stock. The former was of German parentage, and his birth occurred near Baltimore, Md., while his wife was born in Columbiana county, Ohio, about 1801, where her parents had located at a very early day, and there died. Her father, William Stallcup, was a millwright by trade, and was killed in a mill near New Lisbon. The parents of Mrs. Hoiles also died at that place, where their remains were interred. Going to Mount Union when a young lady, she there learned millinery and dress-making , and it was at that place she met and married our subject. They became the parents of four children: Frank L., who was born at Mount Vernon, and died at the age of ten years; Charley H., who now makes his home at Prairie Depot; Pressly C., a farmer of Montgomery township; and Addie M., now Mrs. Harry E. Blair, of Prairie Depot.
Being a carpenter, Mr. Hoiles built his own house at Mount union, upon a lot for which he went in debt, as he had but little money at the time of his marriage, for he had always aided in the support of his parents. Early in January, 1855, he came to Wood county to look up a location. He had chipped wood, but could not secure enough money to pay his fare, so his wife gave him twelve gold dollars from her own savings. He came by rail to Fremont, and walked the remainder of the distance to Prairie Depot, where he bargained for forty acres in Section 2, Montgomery township, costing $350. A log house stood upon the place, but it contained no doors or windows, hence a robe and blanket had to be hung over the openings which he made. In March he returned to Mount Union for his wife and child. He there sold his home, which was uncompleted, for $300, but out of that amount had to finish paying for the lot. His wife had $50 which she had saved, and with the proceeds of other sales they were able to secure their forest home in Wood county free from debt. In their rude little cabin they spent fourteen happy years, and there their children were all born. Game was quite plentiful, and Mr. Hoiles added not a little to their income by selling coon skins. Money was greatly needed as their first summer here was very wet, and but little was raised
The health of our subject had been quite poor at Mount Union, he suffering considerably from stomach trouble, but this was relieved after coming to Wood county, as from necessity their food was quite plain, corn bread being their regular diet. In those early days he also worked some at his trade, going away on Mondays, leaving his wife and baby boy alone, and would be gone for several days. In return for his labors he could only get produce, and corn at that time brought $1 per bushel and potatoes $1.23. He made his home upon four different farms in Montgomery township, owning each one, which he would sell at a profit, and at the time of his death had a good farm of seventy-three acres. He died very suddenly December 5, 1886, mourned by a wide circle of friends throughout the community, and his remains were interred at Prairie Depot cemetery. Though never very strong he was always a great worker, and well deserved the success which came to him. A strong Republican in politics, he was an active worker in his party, and for several terms served as trustee of his township, and was school director during most of his residence here. In manner he was conservative, and gained the respect and confidence of all with whom he came in contact.
After her husband's death Mrs. Hoiles lived upon the farm left her, until 1892, when she built an elegant home; but this she sold two years later, and now has a very comfortable and pleasant dwelling at Prairie Depot. On the farm owned by her, she has seven splendid oil wells, and upon the original lease of ten acres, was found one of the largest producing wells in this locality. Though nearly seventy years of age, she is exceedingly well preserved, and is still quite active. She has led a most industrious and useful life, is a woman of more than ordinary business ability, and was an excellent helpmeet to her husband, having many times in the early days assisted him even in the work of the fields. She is surrounded by many warm friends, who have for her the most sincere regard. We may add that at the time of her and her husband's coming to Wood county, buggies were unknown, and Mrs. Hoiles relates that on Sundays, after the week's labors were past, she and her husband would take their team of black oxen, and go visiting across the swampy prairies. ["Commemorative Historical & Biographical Record of Wood County, Ohio; Its Past and Present", Chicago: J.H. Beers & Co. 1897 - Transcribed by: DeAnna Lawrence]
William Henry Harrison Kelley
WILLIAM HENRY HARRISON KELLEY was born in Montgomery township, Wood county, Ohio, on May 12, 1836. His father, John A. Kelley, was born in Virginia, but emigrated to Richland (now Ashland) county, Ohio, when very young. He settled in Wood county in 1332, where he lived on the same farm for twenty-seven years, and where he died in 1859. During most of this period he was justice of the peace: also serving as county commissioner several terms, and as probate judge one term. The mother of the subject of this sketch was Rachel Shawhan, a native of Maryland, but who moved with her parents to Ohio when a child, and settled in Richland county. Here she grew to womanhood and married John A. Kelley, and moved with him to Wood county, where she died in 1840, leaving eight children.
Harrison, the youngest, a boy four years of age, grew up and thrived amid the privations and early civilization of the black swamp of Northern Ohio. He received such education as the common schools of that time afforded, supplemented by two terms at the Perrysburg high school and one term at the Fostoria academy, Fostoria, Seneca county, Ohio. He was also a pedagogue for four terms in Wood county. His choice of occupation was farming. He emigrated to Kansas territory early in 1858, drawn there principally by the exciting events then transpiring in the contest between liberty and slavery. He settled at Ottumwa, in Coffey county, on the Neosho river, and here he lived until 1888, when he purchased his son's (Harry E. Kelley) residence near Burlington, and moved into it, hoping to recruit his failing health. He engaged in farming and stock raising, meeting with reasonable success.
Harrison Kelley enlisted as a private soldier in the Fifth Kansas volunteer cavalry October 1, 1961, and was mustered out June 5, 1866. He served through all the grades to captain, when he was commissioned as such, and for the remaining two and one-half years of his service was captain of the same regiment. He was in active service during the entire period, in Missouri, Arkansas, and Mississippi, and participated in all the engagements and skirmishes in which his regiment was engaged, including Helena, Little Rock, Pine Bluff, Mount Elba, Cauley's Ridge, Saline River, etc. At the close of the war, in 1866, he returned to his home in Coffey county.
General Kelley was appointed brigadier general of the state militia in 1866, and in 1868 was made a director of the state penitentiary, serving in the latter position for live years. During this year, 1868, he was a member of the state legislature. In 1870 be became assistant assessor of internal revenue, retaining the office until its abolishment. In 1878 he was appointed receiver of the United States land office at Topeka. He was elected state senator in 1880. He also held the offices of chairman of the livestock sanitary commission of the state and treasurer of the state board of charities, and was twice appointed regent of the agricultural college, at Manhattan, being president of the board of regents at the time of his death. He was a member of the State Historical Society for many years, and when he died was its president. General Kelley was elected to the fifty-first congress as a republican, to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of Hon. Thomas Ryan, receiving 10,600 votes, against 2010 scattering. In religion General Kelley was a free-thinker and an agnostic, governing his life according to the practical precepts of Christ, which he believed had never been improved upon, while rejecting theological pretensions and inventions. In June, 1807, he accepted Christian Science. Politically he was an abolitionist until the republican party came into power, since which time he had always voted that ticket until 1891, when he identified himself with the people's party.
He was married to Tabitha McCombs, of Wood county, Ohio, on October 4, 1866, his wife dying in Kansas on November 16, 1869. He was again married, June 26, 1861, to Caroline E. DeWitt, of McCutchinville, Seneca county, Ohio. Four children blessed their union: Harry E. Kelley, residing at Fort Smith, Ark.; Henna T. Kelley, living at Burlington, Kan.; Artie K. Palmer, of Cripple Creek, Colo.; and Fannie K. Armour, of Fort Smith, Ark. H. Leigh Kelley, of Fort Smith, is the only grandchild, and in him his grandfather took great pride and interest.
During his extended public career General Harrison Kelley exhibited to an exceptional degree the qualities of inflexible courage, stern honesty, and lofty and self-sacrificing devotion to duty. He was never a seeker after office, and all the official honors he received came to him unsolicited, and often against his earnest protest. Yet his intense interest in public affairs, his anxious concern for freedom, equality and good government and his constant striving to alleviate the sorrows of the poor and oppressed urged him forward in political conflicts. He was a natural leader of men. His wisdom, experience and firm integrity of purpose inspired confidence; his vigor and enthusiasm encouraged, stimulated, and cheered; his authority compelled obedience; and his commanding abilities secured admiration and esteem.
General Kelley was ever a radical in the best sense of the term. He looked to the future, not the past. He was broad in mind, judicial in temper, catholic in charity. His chiefest concern and unremitting labor were for the betterment of his fellow men, and in the attainment of thin end no barrier was sufficiently great, no tie sufficiently strong, to restrain him. Yet, despite his long and arduous public service, the intensity of political strife, and the animosities which it of necessity engendered, General Kelley ever remained singularly free from personal enmities. His candor, sincerity and courtesy won for him comrades even amongst his foes, and his bitterest political opponents were often his warmest personal friends.
The heartfelt philanthropy which distinguished his whole life was particularly displayed toward the colored race, the laboring masses, and the unemployed. His sturdy democracy recognized no classes, no prestige of wealth, no social distinctions. He was a patriot of the most perfect type, always enthusiastic for his country and no less so for his adopted state. The educational interests of the state were amongst his most cherished cares, and much of his best energy and thought were given to their furtherance.
The life of General Kelley was of a sort to attract, inspire, and ennoble, to beget reverent admiration, to demonstrate the best in human nature, and to furnish a matchless example for those who should come after him. In his death, his family and friends, his state and nation, endured a deep and irreparable bereavement and deprivation. [Source: "Transactions of the Kansas State Historical Society" v.6, By Kansas State Historical Society, Kansas State Historical Society, pub. by The Kansas State Historical Society., 1900]
Copyright © Genealogy Trails